Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2022, 07:18 PM   #51
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't. Anyone who says he does, at this time, probably doesn't, either.

At present, I still don't have a good idea of when I'll be able to talk about anything.

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #52
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I just am really thankful. This game has taken me from my mid twenties into middle age unlike any other entertainment vehicle I can think of. WHAT A RIDE! Thank you, Jim, I even break out the card game every now and then with the 10th grader (Who wasn't born when I started playing FOF).

Looking forward to whatever you do next.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:36 PM   #53
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I just am really thankful. This game has taken me from my mid twenties into middle age unlike any other entertainment vehicle I can think of. WHAT A RIDE! Thank you, Jim, I even break out the card game every now and then with the 10th grader (Who wasn't born when I started playing FOF).

Looking forward to whatever you do next.

Same sentiment!

It's crazy to think about the day I read about Front Office Football in the back of a Computer Gaming mag back in like '98 or '99. Called as soon as I got to a phone. I still have that CD! It's definitely been a great ride. It was a huge time-sink but ultimately a good one. Along the way FOF and our MP communities motivated me to learn how to build databases and websites which still pays dividends today. What a great hobby for the mind and imagination.

Always thankful for Jim "taking that chance".

Last edited by Dutch : 04-22-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

First of all, I was away from the forum for a few years, so missed this. Congratulations to Jim on the new direction, especially since it sounds like something that's really exciting and fulfilling for him. FOF brought me a lot of good times and enjoyment over the years.

Second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Speaking from here in the UK where football manager is one of the biggest computer games out there, it remains astonishing that the US with its 300 million people stiill doesn't have a mainstream computer game about the NFL *and* college football together that plays a bit like FOF but looks like football manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I still think there is a place for a FM like franchise for US football.

I don't agree. IMNSHO, US sports don't have the richness & depth that global soccer/football has, and it is this that is important to the creation of a narrative that makes a text sim (which, let's face it, even FM still is) transcend the numbers into an immersive experience.

Take pro sports, for instance. Your outcomes include win the whole thing, make the playoffs, be mediocre, or suck. Fans certainly care about the first. The second might result in happiness or disappointment, depending on expectations. No one cares about the 3rd outcome and I'd argue no one really cares about the last outcome because there's no existential threat to the franchise.

Compare to most soccer leagues: win the whole thing, qualify for pan-continental competition, win a cup or two, be mediocre, suck and potentially battle against relegation. All of those, besides mediocrity, matter. And even mediocrity can be a huge relief if you've been battling relegation for a few years.

And then there's the connectedness. US sports have lots of minor leagues, and many of those teams are quite beloved, but they're only ever going to exist in their own bubble. College sports have it somewhat better, with a sort of multi-faceted richness, and built-in fervent fanbases that are perhaps closest to the local support of soccer teams, and bowl games allow a sort of "cup" feel, but on the other hand, the players turn over so often the seasons are more like standalone episodes than narrative arcs. Meanwhile on the soccer front: promotion & relegation. Every club can dream of climbing the ladder, and every club can fear the drop.

This is not to say that a sports sim can't succeed, merely that it'll always be a niche product, even in a country of 300 million (likely) sports fans.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Same sentiment!

It's crazy to think about the day I read about Front Office Football in the back of a Computer Gaming mag back in like '98 or '99. Called as soon as I got to a phone. I still have that CD! It's definitely been a great ride. It was a huge time-sink but ultimately a good one. Along the way FOF and our MP communities motivated me to learn how to build databases and websites which still pays dividends today. What a great hobby for the mind and imagination.

Always thankful for Jim "taking that chance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1989 View Post
It's surreal to recall the day in 1998 or 1999 when I discovered Front Office Football in the back of a computer gaming magazine. As soon as I found a phone, I dialed. That CD is still with me. Undoubtedly, it's been a fantastic ride. Although it took a lot of time, it was ultimately worthwhile. I was inspired to learn how to create databases and websites along the way by FOF and our MP communities, which has paid off to this day. What a fantastic mental and creative hobby.

Fun bot there.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:46 AM   #56
HansMellman
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Fun bot there.

My favourite line was "As soon as I found a phone, I dialed" lol
HansMellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:44 PM   #57
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

At present, I still don't have a good idea of when I'll be able to talk about anything.

I see on Solecismic.com the announcement from 2020 was removed and on the about page now nothing is listed about the future.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #58
cupofjoe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I see on Solecismic.com the announcement from 2020 was removed and on the about page now nothing is listed about the future.

Hmmm...this gives me irrational hope. Maybe his other deal fell through and he's going to surprise us with FOF9?
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #59
Stanley92
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Hmmm...this gives me irrational hope. Maybe his other deal fell through and he's going to surprise us with FOF9?

That's Christmas wishes for sure.
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote