Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Bad-example
College Starter

Showtime Series - Dexter

I watched the first episode last night. I think this show looks pretty promising. They were smart to cast a couple actors from OZ, Enrique Morales and Doctor Nathan, in minor roles. They know they are after a similar audience. Also, setting the show in Miami was a good decision. I hope this one develops into a solid show. I haven't really looked forward to a Showtime original show since Outer Limits, although Weeds is ok.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If they wanted to be faithful to the books they had to set it in Miami. I know that isn't always a priority for show producers, but Dexter Morgan really gels with Miami it seems to me.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Bad-example
College Starter

Ah, I had no idea this was based on a series of books. I have a long reading list at the moment but might have to add this.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #4
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Great pilot. Hope it keeps it up.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
Fouts
College Starter

I loved it. Creepy show, with some weird characters. Just when I think about getting rid of showtime, this show pops up.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
If they wanted to be faithful to the books they had to set it in Miami. I know that isn't always a priority for show producers, but Dexter Morgan really gels with Miami it seems to me.

It is set in Miami.

I enjoyed the first episode, Erik King playing the pissed off cop, had some great lines.

If you think this show is good, try Brotherhood on Showtime, its excellent and renewed for a 2nd season.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

This looked interesting to me.

I like to rent shows like these on DVD after the season, so I can watch them all in a row, rather than waiting for a full season to unfold.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Dexter has an awesome cider mill.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

A nice read on Dexter and Showtime.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=015&sc=189

Quote:
Showtime is now officially a pain in the backside for viewers who like high-quality television -- and that's not a wallet-specific reference.

With the dark, creepy but utterly compelling "Dexter," you could argue that Showtime has a trifecta of top-notch series worth shelling out money to see -- "Weeds," one of the best shows on television; "Brotherhood"; and now "Dexter." The pay channel has been searching for an identity for ages and is slowly proving that you can't just ignore it anymore.

However, an argument can be made -- though Showtime won't want to hear it -- that until it gets two more high-end series, the option to wait and get the episodes on DVD or Netflix might be more appealing than shelling out the monthly charge. "Sleeper Cell," "The L Word" and even "Penn & Teller: Bull -- !" are fine in their way, but when it comes to the cold, calculating decision making based on cash, they are not nearly enough.

At least with "Dexter," starring Michael C. Hall from "Six Feet Under" and based on the novel "Darkly Dreaming Dexter" by Jeff Lindsay, there has to be a legitimate discussion of ponying up for the goods. ("Weeds" alone is worth that for some people, but a one- or two-season commitment to a series is not the way to build long-term confidence; viewers want to know they can hang onto something for four or five years. That said, "Showtime" did pick up a 10-episode second season of "Brotherhood" when the numbers hardly merited it, so that's a positive sign.)

"Dexter" will no doubt divide an audience, what with the premise being that by day Dexter is a blood-splatter analyst for the Miami Police Department -- an expert in his field -- and by night, well, he's a sociopathic killer. Also an expert in that field.

The twist, as it was laid out in Lindsay's book, is that not long after young Dexter Morgan is taken in by a foster family, his foster father, Harry (James Remar in a low-key role), a Miami police detective, comes to understand that Dexter is different. He's killing animals. And chopping them up. Before he came to the Morgans, something was lost for good in the boy. As he got older, that desire to kill grew, and Morgan senior took the unique (but loving) route of teaching Dexter to direct it at those people who really deserved it -- killers, rapists, serial drunken drivers, etc.

"Dexter," then, is a case study in situational ethics. What's the difference between rooting for him and rooting for Tony Soprano, the mob boss and killer? Dexter is solving a lot of crimes in his day job. And while committing a lot of crimes at night, he's cleaning up a lot of paperwork. Vigilante justice? Sure. But it goes beyond that. Dexter likes it. He really likes it.

What makes the series work so well is twofold. Hall is magnificent; it's another sterling performance from him. But instead of being pent up yet emotionally explosive, like his David Fisher on "Six Feet Under," he's cool and calculated and entirely without compassion as Dexter. That makes him alluring, in a strange way. That he kills bad guys is the free pass to like him, unless you're hung up on actual justice and against, say, strapping bad people on rubber-clad, plastic-wrapped killing tables and sawing them up but good.

The second element is humor. As Dexter's voice narrates the series, his inner world is revealed. He's dryly funny. He has a spot-on representation of himself -- he knows he's "a monster." But he clings to Dad's teachings -- his retribution killings are the only good way to handle his need for blood.

Or as Robert Greenblatt, entertainment president for Showtime said: "It's not your mother's 'CSI.' " Indeed not. Though it does contain more than enough gruesome lab scenes and a certain fanatic vengefulness about dissecting others, so that if you have a yen for forensics, your interest might be piqued.

Of course, anything as daring and original as this should be trumpeted to the masses if it indeed does cross a social line that will be discussed in supermarkets and dinner tables (and water coolers) everywhere. People will be talking about "Dexter." Maybe not rabid endorsements. But it will be dissected. As well it should. "Showtime" has taken a unique, bold premise and put just the right actor into the role, while testing the boundaries of what people will find acceptable. That's always the ultimate challenge -- providing grown-ups with difficult fare.

"Dexter" certainly fits that bill. It forces viewers to buy in or opt out on the whole situational-ethics thing. It makes them cringe by being shown depravity but also entertained because it's funny, well written and smartly paced.

Also, one of the clear drawbacks of the premise is addressed early. Specifically, is this really going to be a every-episode kind of arrangement? Will he kill each week? And won't that be boring, not to mention a deal-breaker at the church social? "You watch what? And you like it?"

A mystery that involves a serial killer unfolds and ensnares Dexter in it. The killer begins to leave messages and hints, taunting Dexter to solve his bloodless crimes. Dexter, in turn, is very impressed. And very curious. It's impossible not to like where that's headed.

So, yes, Showtime has another gem on its hands. The channel's batting average is rising, along with its standards. That may be good for quality, but it's a real pain for people who want to see high-end drama without paying for something that's not HBO.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Pissed off that i don't get this show...It's right up my and my wifes alley

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Pissed off that i don't get this show...It's right up my and my wifes alley

News Link

Starting Oct. 6th you can download Dexter on Yahoo according to the above link.

Showtime is free Oct. 6th - 9th so you should be able to see the 2nd espisode as well.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23 View Post
News Link

Starting Oct. 6th you can download Dexter on Yahoo according to the above link.

Showtime is free Oct. 6th - 9th so you should be able to see the 2nd espisode as well.

Thx

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
Bad-example
College Starter

Three episodes in and the show still looks like a winner. Cool that they cast another member of the fraternity of OZ, Cyril O'Reilly. This series has a lot of potential.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Bad-example
College Starter

Showtime will be airing the first four episodes this saturday, the 28th.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
bbor
Pro Starter

I've enjoyed this show immensly.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've also enjoyed this show. I didn't realize it was based off a series of books (saw that it was based off a book in the credits but thought it was only one book.) I definitely will be adding the books to my "to read list."
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Bad-example
College Starter

Tonight, 8pm for the replay of the first 4 episodes.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:01 AM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Great episode today.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Great season finale and it is good to know that this show will get a second season.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

A fine ending to a very entertaining first season. Very glad to hear it is returning. I bought the first book for my sister-in-law for xmas. Maybe I can get her to loan it to me when she finishes.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #21
Flasch186
Coordinator

It was great. Im glad I picked this show up.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Haven't watched it yet, but I peeked in the thread tentatively, hoping there were no spoilers. I will be watching the finale tonight with Mrs. Eaglesfan. We both have enjoyed it greatly, although I thought some issues were entirely too predictable. I hope the second season doesn't end up being 18 months or a long time away.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I loved the finale.

I agree with Eaglesfan27 that I did find the show in many ways predictable but it didn't detract from my enjoyment because the execution (if you pardon the pun) was so excellent.

The writing and acting in this show is outstanding. I *knew* how things would end yet still found myself on the edge of my seat.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
I loved the finale.

I agree with Eaglesfan27 that I did find the show in many ways predictable but it didn't detract from my enjoyment because the execution (if you pardon the pun) was so excellent.

The writing and acting in this show is outstanding. I *knew* how things would end yet still found myself on the edge of my seat.

Well said. I think it takes a certain talent for a show to be predictable yet still entertain me every week. I thought the finale was excellent. From looking at Sho dot com website, it appears it will be next fall before we get season 2. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #25
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

It's back! Good start for this season and here's to hoping that the show improves with original material instead of going off the book (my understanding is that season 2 is an original storyline).

Also good to see C.S. Lee is able to be in both Chuck and Dexter. He doesn't get much camera time but he cracks me up when does appear.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #26
Jas_lov
College Starter

It's gonna be a great season! The first episode was very good. Dexter is starting to get sloppy and it looks like more people than just Seargant Doakes are going to become suspicious of him. The whole show is brilliant, except for maybe the sister who gets annoying at times but I think that's the way the role is supposed to be acted.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #27
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm glad it's back. I'm hoping now that it's veering off from the books the plot will get a little twistier and more unpredictable than the first season. If they could get the plot/story details up to par with the production value and acting, this could be the best show on TV.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I find this season much less predictable and even more entertaining. Last night's show was brilliant. I thought the interactions between Lila and Dexter were very well done, as was the confrontation between Dexter and his antagonist this week. Several moments surprised me:

Spoiler
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #29
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I find this season much less predictable and even more entertaining. Last night's show was brilliant. I thought the interactions between Lila and Dexter were very well done, as was the confrontation between Dexter and his antagonist this week. Several moments surprised me:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Cursed spoilers
Old 10-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is a good counter point to my hypothesis. Although, it was still a shock to learn the first part of my supposition which I'm sure of
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh definitely. There have been a couple really good "WTF?!" moments the last couple episodes. Not basing this on anything other than a hunch, but I wonder how long until he ends up having to off Lila. Just a guess of course, but I'm curious how deep she'll get before they reign her in.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Randy?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Oh definitely. There have been a couple really good "WTF?!" moments the last couple episodes. Not basing this on anything other than a hunch, but I wonder how long until he ends up having to off Lila. Just a guess of course, but I'm curious how deep she'll get before they reign her in.

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he'll reveal all to her and then have to kill her when he doubts his ability to trust her to keep his secret.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #34
gkb
High School Varsity

I recently purchased all of season 1 from iTunes and I've caught an episode or two from the second season. I really enjoy the show.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #35
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep, I'm thinking the same thing. I think he'll reveal all to her and then have to kill her when he doubts his ability to trust her to keep his secret.

Anybody still watching? Lila is the one manipulating him! Did Dexter realize this at the end of the show? Was that what the fixed lightbulb was supposed to represent? Dexter vs. Doakes is getting pretty interesting. You know Doakes is going to come after him at some point. They now know the Bay Harbor Butcher has a police background. Even if they get some evidence on Dexter will he say Doakes planted it? Any chances Dexter frames Doakes as the Bay Harbor Butcher? I think I'm getting too many crazy plots in my head. The show is getting really interesting though.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #36
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really enjoyed last night's episode and was happy to see them do a lot to advance Lila's character (especially because I think it takes her in a direction that will end up with her out of the show but in such a fashion that Dexter's character builds significantly).

Also count me in the camp as really enjoying the Doakes story. Quite curious to see how Doakes will come back after this, should make for a nice series of confrontations/revelations. It's almost sad in a way as I can't imagine very many satisfactory ways of their story wrapping up without Doakes being removed in the end.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #37
timmynausea
College Starter

Last night was the best episode in a while. The show was starting to lose me a little bit, but I'm hoping it will finish the season strong.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Watching last night's episode tonight, but would like to point out I made a Dexter season 2 thread about 2 weeks ago and I think it got only 1 reply!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #39
korme
Go Reds

Also, could anyone provide a link to the series of books the show is based on? My mom is interested in them.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Lila is pretty damn hot.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #41
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Lila is pretty damn hot.

Yes, she is. Hot and crazy. Mrs. E and I just watched this episode and really enjoyed it. I think Dexter did realize something is really off about her at the end, but I'm not sure he has put it all together yet just because of the lightbulb. I'm really interested in seeing what Doakes does next as well as how the triangle eventually resolves. It was nice to see Rita stand up to her mother as well.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #42
korme
Go Reds

Just watched the episode

Pardon my boobs
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #43
Bad-example
College Starter

Tonight's episode was just brilliant. I can't wait to see how they finish off the season.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #44
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Tonight's episode was just brilliant. I can't wait to see how they finish off the season.

You're not kidding, easily the best episode this season and comes close to if not being the best episode of the series so far. Felt a little punch drunk afterwards as they just kept bringing it all episode, but was disappointed when the credits ran and can't wait for the next episode.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

We just watched it and I agree. This season has been excellent and tonight's epsiode was one of the best, yet. I'm disappointed this season is winding up but can't wait for the Finale.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #46
Jas_lov
College Starter

It was a wonderful episode! I can't wait to see who goes down as the Bay Harbor Butcher or if the case is even resolved this season. Doakes certainly made himself look more suspicous when he abruptly left the meeting with Lundy and didn't even show up to the one with La Guareta.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #47
Bee
Pro Starter

DO NOT FOLLOW LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE TEASERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2007/1...futile_19.html

The first one was very cool.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #48
korme
Go Reds

LAST NIGHTS EPISODE = HOLY SHIT
Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #49
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
DO NOT FOLLOW LINK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE TEASERS FOR NEXT WEEK.

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2007/1...futile_19.html

The first one was very cool.

Not only very cool, but they managed to take everything there and completely twist it, fantastic episode. Can't wait to see how this all ties up and how (if?!) it'll lead into a third season.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Not only very cool, but they managed to take everything there and completely twist it, fantastic episode. Can't wait to see how this all ties up and how (if?!) it'll lead into a third season.

Agreed. Brilliant episode. The trailer at the end worried me because it also raised the question of will there be a third season. I hope so, easily one of my top 3 favorite shows on TV right now.