Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2024, 12:21 PM   #2851
Danny
Head Coach

I still think it was the wrong strategy especially if not going for it on fourth down.

On a different note, is Spags now the best DC ever?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:34 PM   #2852
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The number of Lions fans I'm seeing posting stuff roughly 'we're the real NFL champs because we beat the Chiefs in Week 1' is so dumb. People who I know are otherwhise reasonable and sensible.

Sports fandom sometimes makes people very stupid.

right right....it's SPORTS FANDOMJ that makes them stupid
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:35 PM   #2853
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So did once upon a time, did the OT look sensible and they just played a normal quarter? And then there oncev upon a time was a game where they kept tying in overtime and had 5 overtimes causing them to change it?
Old 02-14-2024, 01:52 PM   #2854
cuervo72
Head Coach

They should just change the rule to remove FG from OT. TD, safety, or nothing.
Old 02-14-2024, 02:03 PM   #2855
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So did once upon a time, did the OT look sensible and they just played a normal quarter? And then there oncev upon a time was a game where they kept tying in overtime and had 5 overtimes causing them to change it?

No.

For a long time it was simple sudden death, first score wins, end of quarter with no score means ends in a tie.

Evolved from there, which makes the current system make a lot of sense (nobody here is as horrified as you are).

Felt like the receiving team had too big a chance to just win... so they revised it so the opposing team got a chance if they held the first possession to a FG.

Then they created the playoff system where each team was guaranteed an offensive possession... where we are in the game we just saw.

The theoretical remaining weakness/strategy now is that the first two possessions are stacked to allow "both sides," so the first simple "score to win" window is the third possession, so having that is an advantage of some degree, which appears hard to calculate and/or digest, based on the comments here.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:10 PM   #2856
Thomkal
Head Coach

49ers fire DC Steve Wilks
Old 02-14-2024, 02:11 PM   #2857
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Shanahan fired the DC Steve Wilks. 49ers defense has been pretty solid, including in the Super Bowl.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:13 PM   #2858
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But he couldn't stop Mahomes, the QB Shanahan said was so great that they went with an OT strategy of assuming Mahomes would score a TD so they could win on the 3rd possession.

Makes sense!

I know it's not that simple, but... he was thisclose to SB-winning DC.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-14-2024 at 02:13 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:25 PM   #2859
Thomkal
Head Coach

just happening-shots fired at a KC chief victory party;

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/stat...61741852074305
Old 02-14-2024, 03:06 PM   #2860
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh FFS

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ion-rcna138883
Old 02-14-2024, 03:07 PM   #2861
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so like if anything would get them to ban guns it would be gunning down sports heroes
Old 02-14-2024, 03:46 PM   #2862
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
On a different note, is Spags now the best DC ever?

I am still going with Belichick. Two with the Giants and the last three with the Patriots. I refuse to credit Matt Patricia for those victories.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:13 PM   #2863
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Shanahan fired the DC Steve Wilks. 49ers defense has been pretty solid, including in the Super Bowl.

Especially when he was not running his own system.

Quote:
Shanahan took ownership of some of those struggles, saying he wanted Wilks to run the same system that had previously been in place with Ryans and Robert Saleh before him.

"I knew that was a challenge," Shanahan said. "It was real tough losing DeMeco. It was tough losing Saleh the year before. We had committed to not just the system, but the players that had been in the system, from our D-line or linebackers. They had played in it for such a long time.

"It was my goal to not have to change all of them, and bringing in Steve, who was unbelievable how loyal he was and him trying to do it, but it just ended up not being the right fit. And it hurt for me to do this, but that's exactly why I had to.

I can only assume that Wikes runs a similar system. It is still weird to hire someone to run someone else’s system and not the one they are most familiar. If the system is that important, promote one of the defensive assistants.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-14-2024, 04:49 PM   #2864
RainMaker
General Manager

Holding Mahomes to 19 points in regulation seems like a win to me . Especially when 7 of those points came after a muffed punt that put the Chiefs in the redzone. Maybe the special teams coach should be the one fired.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #2865
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Maybe Shamaham should be the one that's fired
Old 02-14-2024, 06:37 PM   #2866
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Wouldn't want to keep around a coach that takes their team to the Super Bowl and gets to overtime.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:17 PM   #2867
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Especially when he was not running his own system.

I can only assume that Wikes runs a similar system. It is still weird to hire someone to run someone else’s system and not the one they are most familiar. If the system is that important, promote one of the defensive assistants.

Wilks did not, and that was an issue.

He wasn’t fired because of the Super Bowl, although his bad play calling when the defense had 3 chances to win the game with one stop and failing 3 times didn’t help.

He didn’t fit the team and his play calling didn’t match the personnel. He didn’t have the backing of the players (esp Warner and Bosa) and made dumb calls at key moments throughout the season.

It also didn’t help that the defense was bottom 10 in the league the last half of the season.

Shanahan’s mistake wasn’t firing him - it was hiring him in the first place. Wilks had to work with the 49ers system and couldn’t bring his own assistants. His hand was tied behind his back.

It’s been reported that the game plan was actually designed by Shanahan and that a coach watched Wilks play all during the game. There’s even a video out there when Wilks called cover 0 and Shannahan called timeout of Kyle walking over to him saying “WTF are you doing. I told you never to call that.” Or something to that effect

It’s also being reported that Shanahan took a more active role in adjustments throughout the season.

At the end of the day you don’t want to keep around a coordinator who isn’t getting the most out of his players. And Wilks wasn’t doing that. Best option for both sides is for him to go.

Last edited by Jon : 02-15-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:20 PM   #2868
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

sounds like a winning combination. Beats me how they made it to the superbowl at all
Old 02-15-2024, 09:29 PM   #2869
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
sounds like a winning combination. Beats me how they made it to the superbowl at all

Best offense in the league and, frankly, makes me think that Wilks is even a better coach than I thought before- just not for this team
Old 02-15-2024, 09:32 PM   #2870
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Best offense in the league and, frankly, makes me think that Wilks is even a better coach than I thought before- just not for this team

really? it is? i dunno...
Old 02-15-2024, 10:31 PM   #2871
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
really? it is? i dunno...

SF was no 1 in offensive DVOA, no 1 in offensive EPA/play

Last edited by Jon : 02-15-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:41 AM   #2872
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Rewatching the superbowl. 1st quarter was all about SF offense. It was a crime they did not score. Both D's looking good.

I liked the Aubrey Plaza/Nick Offerman Baja Blast commercial as well as the Ken Jeong Popeye's Commercial.

The Sailor Man?
Old 02-16-2024, 07:07 AM   #2873
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

He wasn’t fired because of the Super Bowl, although his bad play calling when the defense had 3 chances to win the game with one stop and failing 3 times didn’t help.

He didn’t fit the team and his play calling didn’t match the personnel. He didn’t have the backing of the players (esp Warner and Bosa) and made dumb calls at key moments throughout the season.

It also didn’t help that the defense was bottom 10 in the league the last half of the season.

Shanahan’s mistake wasn’t firing him - it was hiring him in the first place. Wilks had to work with the 49ers system and couldn’t bring his own assistants. His hand was tied behind his back.

It’s been reported that the game plan was actually designed by Shanahan and that a coach watched Wilks play all during the game. There’s even a video out there when Wilks called cover 0 and Shannahan called timeout of Kyle walking over to him saying “WTF are you doing. I told you never to call that.” Or something to that effect

It’s also being reported that Shanahan took a more active role in adjustments throughout the season.

At the end of the day you don’t want to keep around a coordinator who isn’t getting the most out of his players. And Wilks wasn’t doing that. Best option for both sides is for him to go.

All of this is indefensible IMO. This is worse than the lunacy that happened in Philadelphia on the defensive side of the ball. At least there they brought in a guy they thought wanted, let him do the job his way and realized the guy was not the right fit at best or incompetent at worse. If Tim Kawakami's article in The Athletic is accurate, San Fran brought in a guy and asked him to not only learn their system, they asked him to change his coaching philosophy and his entire personality as well. WTF? They said they did not have a strong in house candidate for the job last year. It make even more sense to me to hire someone from within even if they are not fully ready if Shanahan is going to micromanage the defense in this manner.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:21 AM   #2874
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Let's get Matt Patricia in there. Problem solved.

... and the problem that would be solved is that the 49ers are in the Lions way.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:30 AM   #2875
Ksyrup

He DOES owe the Lions a favor...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-16-2024, 11:37 AM   #2876
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Jimmy Garoppolo is suspended for two games for performance enhancing drugs. I think he got when he demanded a refund.

Jimmy Garoppolo reportedly suspended 2 games for violating NFL's Performance Enhancing Substances Policy - Yahoo Sports
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:35 PM   #2877
Danny
Head Coach

Jimmy G doing the raiders a solid. Saving them close to 12m on this years cap.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:41 PM   #2878
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Jimmy Garoppolo is suspended for two games for performance enhancing drugs. I think he got when he demanded a refund.

Jimmy Garoppolo reportedly suspended 2 games for violating NFL's Performance Enhancing Substances Policy - Yahoo Sports

Is there the PED that make you that handsome?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:16 AM   #2879
Schmidty
Coordinator

If the NFL is scripted as some say (not me), then I think the Lions have a great chance at the Super Bowl next season. With Dan Campbell going for it on 4th down almost every time, it makes for great ratings. People love potential train wrecks.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:19 PM   #2880
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If it's scripted (it's not), then it wouldn't matter anyway, since it'd be no achievement to make the Super Bowl.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:19 AM   #2881
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’ve resigned myself to the Steelers bringing in Tannehill (or now possibly Jimmy G) to “challenge” Kenny. It’s way too early to write the season off but it is what it is.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:13 AM   #2882
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh boy....and yet another attempt at another football league. The UFL will start in March. Probably end in October
Old 02-18-2024, 08:26 AM   #2883
Ksyrup

That's not really a new league. It's a combination of the XFL and whatever the more normal/minor league-looking league was last spring.

You can tell I didn't watch a bit of either.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-18-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:51 PM   #2884
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I knew this guy stole 20 mil from the Jags but had no idea he lost it all playing daily fantasy on fanduel. I am a pretty heavy DFS player and I can not fathom playing that much let alone losing it.

Jaguars asked FanDuel to return stolen $20M, source says - ESPN

Feds detail Jags ex-employee's spending on 'life of luxury' - ESPN

To be clear, I am definitely not built for any sort of jail time and the authorities have probably already taken back all the stuff he bought with the stolen money. But if there really is something like a "Club Fed" and he got to keep all the stuff, doing eight years there for this sort of spending spree might be worth it.

I got questions!

Quote:
He also purchased a game-used Trevor Lawrence jersey for $2,200 on eBay on Dec. 8, three days after prosecutors filed charges against him and six days before he pleaded guilty.

He couldn't have grabbed Lawrence's jersey before they put it in the wash before he got canned?

Quote:
A combined $9,477.11 with the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Jaguars Pro Shop, the stadium club and the stadium

Is this with or without the employee discount?

Quote:
More than $278,000 for hotels, rental properties and travel, including $78,800 for private jet charters

Quote:
A combined $70,362.06 with Delta, United, American, Southwest and JetBlue airlines

Has anyone in the history of mankind spent money to travel via private jet AND via JetBlue in the same spending spree? Did he spend the extra money to board first?