Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2023, 03:39 PM   #401
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The fact that the Colts passed on George Pickens to trade down and pick Alec Pierce should get someone fired.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #402
bronconick
College Starter

Someone needs to tell the Dolphins they can't stay on Rookie on Madden.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #403
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So are the Colts actually...good?...this year?
Old 09-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #404
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You know that old ESPN This is Sportscenter commercial where Dan Patrick informs Evander Holyfield that Charlie Steiner thinks he's the third best heavyweight.. from Georgia?

Someone must have told the Dolphins that they were the third best team.... from Florida.

"DENVER BRONCOS. COME OUT AND GET YOUR WHOOPIN!"
Old 09-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #405
Atocep
Coordinator

It's easy to forget how special Mahomes is and then you watch him not step into a throw because he got hit and still throw the ball 40 yards on the money over the receiver's shoulder on the sideline.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #406
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I just heard someone on the radio saying that at this point Tua has to be the favorite for MVP. That is a big swing in someones career.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #407
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Can we do running clock in the 2nd half of Bears-Chiefs?
Old 09-24-2023, 04:49 PM   #408
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If you're a Bears fan, you should feel good about the fact that at least you aren't paying your coach $18M a year to lose by 50.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-24-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #409
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just a brutal sequence for the Bears, feels like everything that can go wrong does. Your big offensive addition drops a huge gain that was really well thrown, then he totally misreads the underneath coverage and throws a pick and now this could get really out of hand.

Claypool just failed to box out on another reasonably well thrown deep shot too. He's probably done but I still feel like there's a talented QB in there somewhere... or at least I don't think he's less talented than Jordan Love.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:59 PM   #410
weegeebored
High School Varsity

This is the worst Bears team I have ever seen, and I've been through the Abe Gibron and "They sent the wrong Neill Armstrong to the moon" years. And recently I couldn't believe coaching could be worse than Trestman and Nagy, or shittier QB play than Trubisky and Grossman. Hell -- even Jauron won five games with McNown under center! For Bears fans there is nothing to hand our collective hats on. Warren needs to blow the whole thing up as I see nothing positive in player evaluation or coaching.

I can't watch anymore.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:00 PM   #411
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just a brutal sequence for the Bears, feels like everything that can go wrong does. Your big offensive addition drops a huge gain that was really well thrown, then he totally misreads the underneath coverage and throws a pick and now this could get really out of hand.

Claypool just failed to box out on another reasonably well thrown deep shot too. He's probably done but I still feel like there's a talented QB in there somewhere... or at least I don't think he's less talented than Jordan Love.

I agree

This team is really poorly coached from top to bottom. Watching Yannick do everything he can to get to Mahomes and fail repeatedly while not caring about the run, containment, or anything else just about sums things up.

Claypool might be the lowest effort receiver I've ever seen. Doesn't block, doesn't care about routes, and if the ball is coming his way he's never in position to make a good play on the ball because everything is so low effort and sloppy.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:03 PM   #412
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
This is the worst Bears team I have ever seen, and I've been through the Abe Gibron and "They sent the wrong Neill Armstrong to the moon" years. And recently I couldn't believe coaching could be worse than Trestman and Nagy, or shittier QB play than Trubisky and Grossman. Hell -- even Jauron won five games with McNown under center! For Bears fans there is nothing to hand our collective hats on. Warren needs to blow the whole thing up as I see nothing positive in player evaluation or coaching.

I can't watch anymore.

This coaching staff was the parting gift from George. He brought in Polian to advise on the hire, Polian put together a list, that list was trimmed down to Eberflus, Dan Quinn, or Jim Caldwell and George let Poles pick between those 3.

I feel like all 3 would have been a bad choice.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #413
rjolley
College Starter

I appreciate the deep throws. Fields has been good on them, but they've been dropped. Fine.

We're running the ball a bit more. Good.

On other dropbacks, there's a defender in Fields' lap before the play gets a chance to develop. Expected.

I don't know if no short routes are being called or if they're being missed, but it seems like, with the Chiefs stuffing the box, the short passing game should be there.

And our defense can't get to the passer and can't tackle. Seems like every play, there's at least 2 broken tackles. So, not only does Mahomes have all day to throw, when guys catch it, they continuously get chunks of YAC.

This is how I expected this game to go. I hoped the offense would show a bit more, and in ways it has, but I had no hope for the defense other than...nope, no hope.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM   #414
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So Bears v Broncos next week. God help us.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:43 PM   #415
Ksyrup

Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-24-2023, 05:49 PM   #416
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I just heard someone on the radio saying that at this point Tua has to be the favorite for MVP. That is a big swing in someones career.

Yeah hearing that makes me think that my brain may be a bit woozy.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #417
Ksyrup

Herbert went 40-47. I tried to google best completion percentage with 40 or more completions and all I could find was Mahomes has the record for 40 or more attempts. Can't find completions.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #418
Thomkal
Head Coach

So my beloved Cards led wire to wire and beat Dallas just like I and everyone thought they would right?

Oh since I'm still on the Lions bandwagon-go Lions!
Old 09-24-2023, 07:13 PM   #419
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Entire coaching staff + Fields needs to go.

I'm trending towards Poles staying, and actually picking his coach & QB.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:29 PM   #420
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I love this hot take
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #421
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

This is where I'm at
Old 09-24-2023, 07:38 PM   #422
Edward64
Head Coach

Stay classy Dolphins, stay classy. Great job
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #423
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Teams that have deliberately tried to tank have not done as badly as this Bears team. It's sort of impressive, in a way.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 07:53 PM   #424
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Who is the first to the playoffs, the Bears or the Broncos?
Old 09-24-2023, 08:18 PM   #425
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

THE CLIMB STARTS SUNDAY. TUNE IN TO CBS!
Old 09-24-2023, 08:36 PM   #426
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Teams that have deliberately tried to tank have not done as badly as this Bears team. It's sort of impressive, in a way.

lol you guys now are making me want to watch the bears
Old 09-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #427
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I'd say the Bears, if they weren't the Bears.

They do have a much better cap situation, and what will absolutely be two top ten (top 5?) 1st rounders. Broncos are in cap hell with Wilson. On paper, the Bears are in a tremendous position to build a long term team. They did as close to an empty cupboard run as it gets in real life, and set themselves up great. If it were Quiksand in charge, they'd win the Super Bowl next year, in year 3 of empty cupboard.

However...never underestimate the power of Bears leadership to monumentally fuck things up.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-24-2023 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:57 PM   #428
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd go Bears because of the NFC. A lot easier to see how a mid-level QB gets a team to the playoffs in the NFC over the next decade.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:04 PM   #429
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
lol you guys now are making me want to watch the bears

This is the kind of weekend the NFL Plus condensed game feature is made for.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:56 PM   #430
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Someone should insert the Menu that comes up in Madden when the game is lopsided (offering an early concede) into the Dolphins-Broncos highlights
Old 09-24-2023, 10:31 PM   #431
Ksyrup

I didn't hate the decision to go for the FG with 3:20 left although I would have gone for it. However, after the Steelers penalty gave them a 1st down, you have to go for the TD. Instead, they wasted a minute off the clock to get a little closer and kicked the same FG on a manageable 4th down. Not only did the Steelers PF not hurt, it actually helped. I don't understand kicking the FG 4th and 4 from the 15 (I think that was the situation).
Old 09-24-2023, 10:34 PM   #432
molson
General Manager

It was at the Steelers 8 which I think makes it worse.

Even if you don't make the first down, they're pinned back and you have a great shot to get the ball at midfield or better with a minute and change left.

How can you be so unsure you can get 4 yards for a first down, 8 yards for a TD, and instead take a situation where, best case, you need to go 60 or 70 yards in less time.

Edit: I had to Google whether you could decline a personal foul penalty - not sure I've ever seen that happen, there's not a lot of situations it would make sense. But it would have made sense there. They took 3 points off the board just to drive for 1:15 more and put the 3 points back.

Last edited by molson : 09-24-2023 at 10:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:24 PM   #433
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:

Why should Poles stay? What evidence is there he can evaluate talent? His FA signings have been awful...godawful. It's too early to make a call on the draft. Maybe Wright will be an above average tackle. Stevenson is not what you would call a disciplined player. He can hit but can he cover? Not too much evidence of that. Two DTs that don't impress (and not taking an O-lineman)? Do you really trust him to draft the right QB? I guess he should get his shot. Let's see what he does at the trade deadline. The Bears have to be sellers.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:30 PM   #434
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Couldn’t they just add the PF on the kickoff? I think I’d onside kick from the 50 or squib it or something. What I wouldn’t do is run all that time off and then still kick.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:38 PM   #435
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Herbert went 40-47. I tried to google best completion percentage with 40 or more completions and all I could find was Mahomes has the record for 40 or more attempts. Can't find completions.

Big Ben was 40/49 and everyone else with 40 completions attempted at least 52 passes.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:38 AM   #436
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

the more i read out of Fields' mouth, the more I now this punk kid will never make it in the NFL. He just wants everyone to leave him alone and let him play street football where he can make things happen. uh huh....riiiiiiiiight.

Dude is done in the NFL already. He'll never make it
Old 09-25-2023, 12:58 AM   #437
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 09-25-2023, 05:41 AM   #438
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

It's almost like putting your NFL QB prospect with proper QB coaching, in a proper offensive system that maximizes what he does well and minimizes what he does not do well while also surrounding him with talent that can take advantage of those things puts the QB in the best position to show what he is capable of doing. The fact that Tua is early in his 4th NFL season and not his rookie or 2nd season has probably played a factor as well. Seems like a trend other teams might want to follow if we are going to insist on making the QB position the most important one in the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:35 AM   #439
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Why should Poles stay? What evidence is there he can evaluate talent? His FA signings have been awful...godawful. It's too early to make a call on the draft. Maybe Wright will be an above average tackle. Stevenson is not what you would call a disciplined player. He can hit but can he cover? Not too much evidence of that. Two DTs that don't impress (and not taking an O-lineman)? Do you really trust him to draft the right QB? I guess he should get his shot. Let's see what he does at the trade deadline. The Bears have to be sellers.

Claypool aside ... that was a mistake, but I get the idea behind the shot ... I wonder how a lot of these guys would look on a team that's coached competently. I'm not convinced all these FA signings and draft picks are awful. I've become more convinced they're on a team with a coaching staff who has utterly zero clue how to use them or instruct them.

Frankly, I still like the vision behind Pole's moves. He inherited an old, bad, and expensive roster, tore it down, got a buttload of cap space and draft picks, and we're still in the middle of that process. For better or for worse, I think you need to let the guy see that process through.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #440
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Only Claypool was a mistake? Seriously? Let me run down the list: Nate Davis, Tremaine Edmunds, D'Onta Foreman, Robert Tonyan, Andrew Billings, DeMarcus Walker, PJ Walker, and others. Name a Pro Bowler. Better yet -- name one guy making an impact. T.J. Edwards has been ok, but that's about it.

I had a vision that I would be a very good college basketball player and also a very good keyboard player. I don't have the skills for either. A vision <> positive results. It's already time to cut bait on the whole lot, including Poles.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:26 AM   #441
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Knowing everything we know now, which guy would you have picked in their draft: Tua or Burrow?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:28 AM   #442
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'd still go Burrow--he's done it longer. But Tua's making it a debate for sure, which is awesome.

We live in such a hot-take sports culture that we have to have opinions on these things half a season into their careers.

Nice to see things continue to evolve over the years
Old 09-25-2023, 09:41 AM   #443
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'd still be worried about those concussions for Tua.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #444
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Knowing everything we know now, which guy would you have picked in their draft: Tua or Burrow?
Burrow and it's not even close. He has an ankle injury that may torpedo this Bengals season (but leave them with 2 AFCCG and a Super Bowl appearance in his first four seasons after 30 years without a playoff win), Tua has never made it through a season healthy, never played in a playoff game, and I still worry he's one traumatic hit away from never playing again.

I also think the Patriots defense is pretty darn good (even without two of our top 3 CB's that night) but we literally saw Tua and that offense limited pretty well a week ago. There is no amount of video game numbers vs bad defenses that will even get me to consider this a valid question, I will need to see Tua healthy and doing it vs real defenses in January to entertain it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:28 AM   #445
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It was at the Steelers 8 which I think makes it worse.

Even if you don't make the first down, they're pinned back and you have a great shot to get the ball at midfield or better with a minute and change left.

How can you be so unsure you can get 4 yards for a first down, 8 yards for a TD, and instead take a situation where, best case, you need to go 60 or 70 yards in less time.

Edit: I had to Google whether you could decline a personal foul penalty - not sure I've ever seen that happen, there's not a lot of situations it would make sense. But it would have made sense there. They took 3 points off the board just to drive for 1:15 more and put the 3 points back.
According to McDaniels they needed two possessions to win . Step 1 being needing to tie the game in the remaining 2:21 is apparently too much to think about. This might be the single worst play call all season.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:00 AM   #446
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Reminds me of this decision by Dan Quinn of the Falcons.

In short, Falcons down by 4 with 3 minutes left. It's 4th and goal from the 1 and they kick the FG.

As the video points out, their odds of winning actually were higher if they missed the FG than if they made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRbKTyXkCA

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #447
Jas_lov
College Starter

Matt Lafleur did the same thing in the NFC Championship kicking the fg down 8. It was made even worse that the opposing qb was Tom Brady. It's just a dumb decision. Throw a jump ball to your best receiver. Lafleur did go for two down 14 yesterday and it worked, so maybe he's learning.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:25 AM   #448
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone know where Taylor swift was yesterday?
Old 09-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #449
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anyone know where Taylor swift was yesterday?

Old 09-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #450
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Taylor Swift having an affair with Mahomes and single-handedly ending the Chiefs dynasty would be the most 2023 thing ever.