Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Went and saw this last night at 11:50 pm with the wife and kid....

BRILLIANT!!!

I loved it, my favorite comedy by FAR since Old School.....and of course has everyone of the Will Ferrell-Vince Vaughn-Ben Stiller circle of actors in it that I didn't expect to see. Jack Black and Stiller were a suprise.

Super funny, and insanely wacky!

Anyone else see this?

"I killed a man with a trident." Man, I thought I was 17 and high again I was laughing so hard!

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

You stay classy.........planet earth
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:21 PM   #3
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Too bad Will Ferrell is in it.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Excellent. A movie that appeals to someone who is/feels 17 and high. Quite an endorsement.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Too bad Will Ferrell is in it.
I officially hate you

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 07-10-2004 at 06:27 PM.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

GoSeahawks, Bubba Wheels and kcchief19: Blah, Blah, Blah, Whine, I am old, Whine, Blah, Blah, Blah.

Cringer: Packers suck.

I got nothing.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Excellent. A movie that appeals to someone who is/feels 17 and high. Quite an endorsement.

Excellent. Quite a misunderstanding.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Wait, I forgot to mention the movie looks splendid.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Excellent. Quite a misunderstanding.
Excellent. I don't think so.
Quote:
Man, I thought I was 17 and high again I was laughing so hard!
How did I misunderstand that?

I'm not making fun of you for liking the movie, I'm just saying that if you were laughing as hard as you did when you were 17 and high, it isn't that big of an endorsement because I know people who thought their fingers were funny when they were 17 and high.

I'm sure it's a funny a movie and I'm sure it would be even funnier if you were 17 and high. You go girl.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not making fun of you for liking the movie, I'm just saying that if you were laughing as hard as you did when you were 17 and high, it isn't that big of an endorsement because I know people who thought their fingers were funny when they were 17 and high.

How is it not a big endorsement, then? It sounds like what he was saying was that it's a hilarious movie that will make you laugh very hard. Not that if you are 17 and high, it will make you laugh.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-10-2004 at 06:45 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
How is it not a big endorsement, then? It sounds like what he was saying was that it's a hilarious movie that will make you laugh very hard. Not that if you are 17 and high, it will make you laugh.

Pretty much what I meant.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #12
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Good, some insanely funny parts (Jack Black cameo, the Trident) but some parts that were just way too outlandish to appeal to someone who wasn't 12 or high.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Good, some insanely funny parts (Jack Black cameo, the Trident) but some parts that were just way too outlandish to appeal to someone who wasn't 12 or high.

Outlandish? The rumble scene maybe, or the ending with the bears? I thought it was insane to throw that stuff in there but at the same time it just kind of fit.

Anyways, I understand different strokes for different folks and that some guys just don't like the slap in the face humor or the childish kind of humor, as for me I do. If that makes me uneducated (which I pretty much am I guess, no college and I went to public schools) then I'm fine with it.

BTW, Bush lovers will take offense to something said in the end, which I found to be a funny cheap shot......

Last edited by Cringer : 07-10-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:03 PM   #14
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Outlandish? The rumble scene maybe, or the ending with the bears? I thought it was insane to throw that stuff in there but at the same time it just kind of fit.

Anyways, I understand different strokes for different folks and that some guys just don't like the slap in the face humor or the childish kind of humor, as for me I do. If that makes me uneducated (which I pretty much am I guess, no college and I went to public schools) then I'm fine with it.

BTW, Bush lovers will take offense to something said in the end, which I found to be a funny cheap shot......

Gee, what a surprise...Hollywood taking a shot at a Republican in a movie, what will there ever be next? Maybe a scene of a grocery bag with a loaf of French bread sticking out of it. Wonders never cease.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Gee, what a surprise...Hollywood taking a shot at a Republican in a movie, what will there ever be next? Maybe a scene of a grocery bag with a loaf of French bread sticking out of it. Wonders never cease.

It happens sometimes I guess...........
Old 07-10-2004, 08:50 PM   #16
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Pretty funny movie. Although I was one of the oldest people in the theater (I'm 26). Still, would definitely recommend it to anybody who likes a comedy in the Old School-type of mold.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #17
Anthony
Banned

Ben Stiller's cameo was the funniest stuff he's done since Meet The Parents.

"POLICIA!!!!"

I liked the movie, but i agree some parts were thrown in just to give it it's "outlandish", over-the-top feel. the conversation with his dog, the ending with the bear (although i laughed at it), the animated part with Christina Applegate. those 3 didn't do anything for me.

but i think it's cemented his status as the next Adam Sandler, and i think he has the potential to be even funnier than Sandler in the movie's.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #18
SteelerFan448
High School JV

This movie is fantastic. I laughed virtually the whole way through. Will Ferrell should definitely be the next big star in comedy movies.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #19
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

I saw this last night as well.

Basically, if you like the more random stuff Will Ferrell did on SNL, you'll like the movie, since it's written by Ferrell and Adam McKay, who was head writer during a big portion of Ferrell's years.

I thought the movie was insanely funny. I was laughing mildly pretty much throughout the entire movie, punctuated with some supremely funny parts every 5 minutes or so.

This is nothing like Old School or any of the frat type comedies. This is pretty much a Will Ferrell-SNL sketch like the "Get Off the Damn Shed" guy blown up to 90 minutes, but it works.

And Steve Karell is even funnier here than he's been on The Daily Show.
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:28 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The dog/bear scene and the dream sequence. I like stupid humor and loved the rumble, almost on the floor during that, but for the other two scenes I just couldn't understand how someone who hadn't smoked would be laughing there.

Overall, still a very good movie. Not as good as Old School, because it didn't have as many classic lines, but right up there with Dodgeball for the funniest movie released since.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen the movie, but the best of Will Farrell is on SNL tonight. I thought anyone who is fan and didn't know might like to know.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The dog/bear scene and the dream sequence. I like stupid humor and loved the rumble, almost on the floor during that, but for the other two scenes I just couldn't understand how someone who hadn't smoked would be laughing there.

Overall, still a very good movie. Not as good as Old School, because it didn't have as many classic lines, but right up there with Dodgeball for the funniest movie released since.

dream/sex scene was funny to me and my wife, but far from the funniest thing, we just enjoyed it a couple of the lines, and I think it was a must have scene, do you want to see Will having sex?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:51 AM   #23
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
\

This movie isn't anywhere near as funny as Dodgeball. I suprised everyone is so positive about it. It was pretty good, but it's not in the same class as something like Old School.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:13 AM   #24
Easy Mac

Dodgeball was complete ass, I've never been to a movie where I laughed so little.

Anchorman was the funniest movie I've seen since Old School.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:18 AM   #25
Anthony
Banned

uhhhhhh...Dodgeball wasn't funny. i too did not laugh much.

all i was able to muster was about 3 chuckles. my wife hated me for suggesting we go see it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #26
Easy Mac

strangely, my girlfriend said she really liked dodgeball, didn't like anchorman, but thought anchorman was funnier... i dont understand women... ever.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 07-11-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #27
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So one movie was funnier, but she didn't like that one? That is confusing......
Old 07-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #28
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
uhhhhhh...Dodgeball wasn't funny. i too did not laugh much.

all i was able to muster was about 3 chuckles. my wife hated me for suggesting we go see it.

It makes me feel better that we disagree. Lets me know I haven't totally lost it yet.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 07-11-2004 at 02:27 PM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:34 AM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Just saw this on DVD.

What a pile of crap.

Seriously, like, 75 seconds of funny material sprinkled here and there, and 90 minuts of flaming, runny, skunk poo.

That is all.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 AM   #30
TLK
Pro Starter

Gotta give this the ole' Thumbs down
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #31
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Fuck you San Diego...

That's all I got.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #32
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
Fuck you San Diego...

That's all I got.

You didn't even get it right.

It's "Go fuck yourself, San Diego."
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 PM   #33
Joe
Pro Starter

big difference there
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #34
Flasch186
Coordinator

Anchorman was one of the worst movies i saw all of last year....come to think of it, it was the worst movie i saw all of last year.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #35
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Stay Classy FOFC.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #36
Suicane75
Coordinator

Didnt like it very much at all. I laughed hard a few times, but really it's just drawn out absurdity, much like the standard SNL skit.

Just saw Meet The Fockers and while there was a part of me who didn't like it I was laughing alot.

I think the difference in the 2 for me is that the characters in Fockers are nicely developed and funny as characters before you even throw jokes into the mix wheras Anchorman and other comedies of the ilk just throw out absurdity as a plot point and run with it, never really offering up anything more than "this is a retarded anchorman".
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Didnt like it very much at all. I laughed hard a few times, but really it's just drawn out absurdity, much like the standard SNL skit.

Just saw Meet The Fockers and while there was a part of me who didn't like it I was laughing alot.

I think the difference in the 2 for me is that the characters in Fockers are nicely developed and funny as characters before you even throw jokes into the mix wheras Anchorman and other comedies of the ilk just throw out absurdity as a plot point and run with it, never really offering up anything more than "this is a retarded anchorman".

Extremely well-put, and i agree. Just saw Ron Burgandy last night, and while a few spots made me laugh, overall it was a letdown.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Extremely well-put, and i agree. Just saw Ron Burgandy last night, and while a few spots made me laugh, overall it was a letdown.

Smoke a fatty, then watch it again.

j/k ..but I watched this one a month or so ago and though, eh.ok.. re-watched it with my wife a few nights ago and the movie was much better.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #39
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Watched it last night with my wife and we both thought that it wasn't very good. Normally, I'm a big fan of the actors in the movie, but the writing was just bad in this one.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #40
JeeberD
General Manager

Watched it over the weekend and both the girlfriend and I thought that the extras were better than the movie itself.

The film did have lots of "it's funny because it's so damn stupid" parts to it, though...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #41
Craptacular
College Starter

We just watched it for the first time the other night. I thought it was fairly amusing, similar to Old School. My favorite movies are stupid comedies, but I wouldn't put either of them near the top.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote