Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #51
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

First reviews are coming out and are outstanding.

We round up Inception's early reviews. Does it live up to the hype?

Spoilers towards the end of the article, but they clearly delineate the spoiler-free part from the spoiler part.

Being compared to the best of Kubrick's work makes me even more excited to see this.

Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #52
MrBug708
Head Coach

Keanu Reeves, Nicolas Cage, and Leo DiCaprio. One of these is not like the others.

Dicaprio is one of the most consistently good actors in Hollywood. It's only a matter of time til he wins an Oscar
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #54
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Cage in Adaptation was awesome. That movie alone makes it painful to see him in all his other garbage roles.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-06-2010 at 12:42 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Keanu Reeves, Nicolas Cage, and Leo DiCaprio. One of these is not like the others.

Dicaprio is one of the most consistently good actors in Hollywood. It's only a matter of time til he wins an Oscar

I can't believe you actually grouped these 3 together!!!

I know what your saying though, Leo has become on of my favourite actors, i've enjoyed just about everything he's done in the last 10 to 12 years. Even things he did in the 90's, like This Boy's Life, Basketball Diaries and The Man in the Iron Mask. I'm really looking forward to Inception
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #56
Pyser
Pro Rookie

saw this 2 weeks ago.

its excellent.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #57
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It looks like a live action Paprika.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #58
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Growing Pains?
I didn't watch TV at that age, so my first exposure to Leo was when Titanic came out in Middle School. I can admit now I may not have given him a fair shake based off his fanbase.

Movie comes out Thursday. I really hope it does well because otherwise Hollywood is going to swing even further towards sequels, remakes and movies based off Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz.
Quote:
“Nobody thinks it’s a bad movie,” an executive from a rival studio stressed. “The question is whether it’s going to be the real breakout picture that everybody seems to think or just the darling of the East and West coasts and miss the rest of the country.”
There lies the rub: how to entice Middle America without a lot of complicated explication? The Nolan and DiCaprio connections obviously help, not to mention a supporting cast including Michael Caine, Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard. But what’s a marketing challenge like this doing in the middle of popcorn-pic season?
Awareness has been slow to spread, but a high percentage of those with knowledge of the film show a “definite interest” in seeing “Inception.” Executives around town offer an unusually wide range of projections for the opening weekend, at $40 million-$60 million.
Nolan’s penchant for cinematic riddles has some suggesting the picture basically is a big-ticket art film. Cost estimates run upward of $160 million on “Inception,” which totes a 148-minute running time. “It’s the most expensive version of ‘Memento’ you could ever make,” an exec from a rival studio quipped, referring to Nolan’s acclaimed 2000 debut. “But it is unique in the marketplace, and I credit them for that.”
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This movie is brilliant.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #60
BishopMVP
Coordinator

$21 million on Friday, much better than the Sorcerer's Apprentice at least. I give it a 9/10. Definitely worth seeing in a theater, and I'll be interested to see how it holds up to a repeat viewing.
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-17-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #61
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Amazing amazing amazing amazing.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #62
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Maybe I'm overthinking this
I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it Thursday night, and was curious when some of my co-workers were picking it apart yesterday. They made some good points, but I'm not really sure I care - I was caught up in the moment. What will be interesting is how I react when I see it again.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #63
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it Thursday night, and was curious when some of my co-workers were picking it apart yesterday. They made some good points, but I'm not really sure I care - I was caught up in the moment. What will be interesting is how I react when I see it again.
It's the downside to having such high expectations going in - I'll focus on picking apart the little flaws instead of admiring the beauty of the forest. Don't get me wrong though - I loved it. That last hour and a half - I don't think I've ever seen a film that kept the tension up that high for taht long across multiple levels and storylines. I can complain a little about the script, but the production and direction was phenomenal across the board.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:48 AM   #64
samifan24
Pro Starter

An amazing movie going experience. I've been a Nolan fan since Memento and even own his first film out of film school, Following, and he's never steered me wrong. Inception is simply fantastic.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #65
MikeVic
Head Coach

Awesome. I feel like I need to watch it again.

Spoiler
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ok. I have to het a baby sitter and see this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #67
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Watched it last night. Recruited a friend to go back with me today. I need to watch it again. It was great great great.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #68
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Spoiler
Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #69
TroyF
Coordinator

Spoiler

Ridiculously good movie.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Just go back from this.

An amazing movie. Beautiful. Impeccably paced. Interesting. Fantastic stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #71
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Spoiler

On second viewing I've decided it has to be 1. That's my final answer.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

Lots of good reviews for this so far. I'm going to try to get out and see it during the week.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On second viewing I've decided it has to be 1. That's my final answer.

I haven't seen it a second time yet. I'm not sure which of your options it is, but after the first time, I didn't think it was 1. Care to expand (in spoiler tags, of course) on why you now think it's 1?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-18-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #74
SunDevil
College Prospect

Inception Explained: Unraveling The Dream Within The Dream
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #75
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I haven't seen it a second time yet. I'm not sure which of your options it is, but after the first time, I didn't think it was 1. Care to expand (in spoiler tags, of course) on why you now think it's 1?

Spoiler

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 07-18-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #76
cyril
Mascot

Spoiler
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #77
cyril
Mascot

Spoiler
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #78
bhlloy
Coordinator

Amazing, amazing movie. Not exactly what I expected but just very well done and kept you thinking the whole way through, with some very well done action scenes.

Spoiler
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #79
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i bit my tongue on this for a while, but i did all the junket interviews for this movie. they went to various sites, mostly in the uk. but heres the one i did with nolan.

on the way in, i told him all of us press were sitting out in the hallway still trying to figure out the movie. he just smiled, but wouldnt indulge me. anyway, heres a link to my interview:

Exclusive Interview: Christopher Nolan Talks Inception : HeyUGuys – UK Movie Blog
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #80
JediKooter
Coordinator

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #81
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Estimated $60.4 million opening weekend, at the high end of expectations, and word of mouth only seems to be helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
Spoiler
Thoughts, mostly on the ending.
Spoiler
Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #82
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Estimated $60.4 million opening weekend, at the high end of expectations, and word of mouth only seems to be helping.Thoughts, mostly on the ending.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #83
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #84
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #85
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #86
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Spoiler
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #87
spleen1015
Coordinator

Saw this last night. I thought it was pretty awesome. I have no idea what is what and I'm not sure I have any theories. I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say though.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #88
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Excellent movie. When I get a chance and figure out the spoiler tags, I'll post my interpretation of the ending, which is a bit different from any one else's here.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 07-20-2010 at 07:33 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #89
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Fellas, maybe we should ask Bishop to change the title of this thread to include a big ole *SPOILERS WITHIN* warning. It's pretty clear that people want to discuss the movie in this thread and a series of *spoiler tag* posts is silly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #90
Logan
Head Coach

Personally I don't think that's even necessary...the movie has already been released, seems like fair game to me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #91
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Personally I don't think that's even necessary...the movie has already been released, seems like fair game to me.

Necessary? No. But it's still polite.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #92
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like reading people's theories on what happened. I can't wait for the commentary on the dvd/blue ray!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #93
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I like reading people's theories on what happened. I can't wait for the commentary on the dvd/blue ray!

I think it's really cool to read all the theories, even if I'm 100% convinced that there's no way Nolan thought of all these possibilities that I've read (there's some real crazy shit out there). I'd be really surprised if even Nolan felt like he had the "answer" instead of just his own opinion.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Apparently Nolan had been working on this script for 10 years, so, while I doubt he's thought of every potential intepretation, I'm sure he's considered many of them.

I, too, like the ambiguity of the ending. It provides great fodder for discussion and lets the viewer decide for himself what actually happened.

As for my thoughts...

1. I don't really believe the whole movie was a dream or that Michael Caine was the architect of it all. I firmly believe that the real world was the "real world" up until they entered Robert's dreams on the plane. After that, things get a bit trickier...

2. I know one bit of evidence folks of the, Cobb's stuck in a dream world theory, point to is the fact that 1) his kids haven't aged and 2) they are dressed the same. I am not sure if there's any way to really gauge how long it's been since Cobb left home. He still had to explain to his son that "mommy wasn't coming home", so perhaps it wasn't that long. Less than a year perhaps? The amount of travel time isn't really an issue. Saito was funding the project. The man bought an airline. He can get people back and forth to places pretty quickly. Anyway, apparently, according to IMBD credits, there are two credits for each kid. So, it appears as if, they could have used different kids for the shots, thus implying that they were in fact older (by some degree) in the final shot than they appeared in Cobb's dream visions. As for the same outfits, well, coincidence? Dunno.

3. If Cobb was stuck in a dreamworld, I think it would have started around the time he decided to stay in Limbo to find Saito. In that case, it's likely that neither Saito or Cobb ever made it back to reality. So, it's possible that the old man Saito was just a projection in Cobb's mind. Granted, Saito died in Dream World 1 (and all the others) a bit before Cobb decided to stick in Limbo land, so it's possible, given the super accelartion of time, that he grew old fast, whereas Cobb didn't. But, it's also possible that old Saito was just a projection of Cobb's and he created that encounter with Saito to make it more believable to himself that he got Saito back, Saito honored his part of the bargain and Cobb got got to "go home." Maybe that was his way of performing an "inception" in his own mind. He gave himself the idea that he succeeded in his task and, thus, gets his reward.

That sort of mirror's Nolan's protagonist's actions at the end of "Momento", where he uses his "ability" - short term memory loss - to deliberty trick himself into believing he was still looking for his wife's killer to give him purpose, because, with out that, he would be lost.

4. Another thing. At the end of the movie, Cobb gets home and spins that top. In every other scene when he did that, he always waited to watch it fall. Always. In the last scene, however, he spins it, watches it for a second or two, and then goes to see his kids. He doesn't seem to care at all whether it's a dream or reality. And, if he doesn't care, what difference does it really make? (Unless, of course, it is a dream and, at some point, like in that long dream with his wife, he realizes it's all just a facisimile and it starts to crumble/drive him mad.) Does that mean that his "inception" took? Or was he just excited to see his kids and the top eventually stopped spinning.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #95
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
And, if he doesn't care, what difference does it really make?

I keep coming back to this point in my mind. Whether it falls or not, I think Cobb is finally at peace. Happy ending either way. (Dream or Reality)
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #96
spleen1015
Coordinator

I took him walking away from the top at the end as his final step in letting go of Mal since it was her totem.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #97
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One thing that puzzled me just now...

I am not one to really jump all over the particulars of this movie and the various rules that it established. I think, overall, the rules were pretty tightly adhered to. And, if there are some holes or inconsistencies, so be it, they were minor and didn't really annoy me or irritate me in anyway. I think a lot of it can be explained by saying, it took place in a dream, stuff in dreams often doesn't make a lot of sense and there's definitely a certain flexibility one has in dreams, even if certain rules are followed.

One example that comes to mind, is that I've heard/read some people complain about Eames. They say that if he was able to "conjure up" a gernade launcher at one point and turn himself into Robert's uncle, why didn't he do this sort of thing other times it would be useful? Say, like when he'd fighting that artic assault squad.

My take on all of that is this: We know Eames can take the shape of someone else in a dream whom he studies. As for "conjouring" things, that's debatable. He does have that line "you need to dream bigger" when he pulls out the gernade launcher. For those who think he just conjured it out of nothing is quite an assumption. Who is to say that Ariadne, who constructed the dream, didn't put guns in the safehouse and that Arthur pulled a assault rifle to use and Eames grabbed a gernade launcher and the "dream bigger" line wasn't something to be taken literally? You recall, Arthur and Eames had an early discussion about Arthur not being "original" enough. So, it's really just an assumption (incorrectly, I believe) that Eames has the ability to conjure something up in a dream out of whole cloth.

Even if he could conjure something, maybe he needs time to do it. He needs to concentrate. That seemed to be the case when he turned into the other guy. Also, maybe he needs to be very familiar with what he conjures. In the warehouse, he had the time to concentrate to conjure a gernade launcher, a weapon that he is, perhaps, familiar with in the real world. In the snow sequence, maybe he didn't have the time concentrate to conjure something and/or has no way to conjure something he's not at all familiar.

Anyway, that was a side track. To my original point:

Assuming that in the end he's back in the real world and that the mission was successful, how exactly did he get Saito out of Limbo?

Presumably, he convinced Saito to pick up the gun and kill himself, which would then wake him up, much like when Cobb and Mal woke up when the train ran over their heads when they were in Limbo. And, presumable, Cobb then took the gun and killed himself, waking himself up.

However, when Cobb and Mal killed themselves in Limbo they weren't under that powerful sedative. They were just sleeping under the normal amount of chemcials and, thus, presumably dying at any point would have woken them up. Here, however, both Cobb and Saito were under the super chemical in which killing doesn't wake you up, but rather sends you to Limbo, so why would killing yourself in Dream Limbo wake you up if you're still under the sedative?

I guess, perhaps the sedative could have worn off by the end of the flight, when they awoke, and at that point and dying in a dream would have its normal effect.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #98
spleen1015
Coordinator

The one thing I never did grasp was how Saito and Cobb got out of limbo. I think I missed some dialogue.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #99
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah that was a little weak. I think it was explained that he just couldn't do it to her, but that's not the most convincing explanation ever.

I also agree with HB's take on Eames. I didn't get the impression that he could just conjur things out of air and I think people are taking that one scene too literally. I think it was mentioned at some point that he would really have to study the godfather to have any chance of pulling it off, it's not like he's a shapeshifter.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #100
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Anyway, apparently, according to IMBD credits, there are two credits for each kid. So, it appears as if, they could have used different kids for the shots, thus implying that they were in fact older (by some degree) in the final shot than they appeared in Cobb's dream visions.
Hmm, did it strike anyone else that when Cobb had the phone conversation with his kids that the daughter sounded older than the vision of her we'd seen elsewhere in the movie? If there were indeed 2 actors each for both of the kids, maybe one set was for the phone call...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote