Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #201
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Just got back from the football banquet. A few new college commitments:
  • WR Raejon Alexander and DB Brandon Johnson are headed to Lane College.
  • I've sort of hemmed and hawed around it, since I don't have a good gauge at what level I "know too much" insider stuff, but Coach Ballard said it publicly tonight with a few "outsiders" present, so I feel comfortable saying this: D.T. is completely up in the air about where he's going to play. "He will sign with someone on Feb
  • McKain was with us on the trip this past weekend. He has already decided that he's going to Air Force. He'll verbally commit while he's there next weekend.
  • K Blake Harr is getting close to committing to UAB.

...and here's the biggie. It is now official that, barring major injury, Tucker will continue its incredible string of sending every single starting tailback to a D-1 school. Oklahoma State became the first school in a what I believe will be a long line to offer B.Y. a scholly. Congrats Brandyn!!!

The awards, as best as I can remember them:

Phil Payne Award (playing through adversity and injury): FB/LB Jimmy Coleman
Iron Man Award (hardest worker in weight room): Thomas Brown
Venable Memorial Lineman Award: G Ricky Stephens
Kelly Cofer Award (all-around...character, leadership, academics): G/LB Andrew McKain

Key Stats
RUSHING
Brandyn Young: 140 carries, 967 yards, 6.9 ypc, 9 TD's
Thomas Brown: 113 carries, 928 yards, 8.2 ypc, 17 TD's
D.T. McDowell: 96 carries, 642 yards, 6.6 ypc, 8 TD's
Jimmy Coleman: 53 carries, 605 yards, 11.4 ypc, 8 TD's
Hamilton Sims: 32 carries, 185 yards, 6.9 ypc, 3 TD's
Asher Allen: 10 carries, 171 yards, 17.1 ypc, 2 TD's

RECEIVING
James Swinton: 27 catches, 505 yards, 3 TD's
Raejon Alexander: 26 catches, 452 yards, 3 TD's
Brandon Lang: 14 catches, 299 yards, 2 TD's

PASSING
D.T. McDowell: 94 for 158, 1602 yards, 59.5%, 8 TD's, 7 INT's

KICKING
Blake Harr: 52 for 56 PAT's, 7 for 8 FG's (35 long), 73 points
Brad Daniels: 5 for 5 PAT's, 1 for 2 FG's (42 long), 8 points

TACKLES
Andrew McKain: 77 solo, 68 ast, 145 total, 8 TFL
Hamilton Sims: 59 solo, 30 ast, 89 total, 15 TFL
Jimmy Coleman: 45 solo, 34 ast, 79 total, 3 TFL

SACKS
Brandon Lang: 9
Hamilton Sims: 5
Taveres Kearney: 4
Andrew McKain: 2
Jimmy Coleman: 2
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM   #202
Ben E Lou

From this morning's AJC: http://www.ajc.com/highschool/conten...karecruit.html

Tucker leads in big-time scholarships

By MICHAEL CARVELL
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tucker will likely edge out Marist for having the most football players sign major-college scholarships.

The Tigers are expected to have six players sign letters-of-intent on Wednesday, including tailback Thomas Brown and defensive end Brandon Lang, to the University of Georgia. Split end James Swinton is headed to Auburn, fullback Jimmy Coleman to Tulane and linebacker Andrew McCain to Air Force.

Tucker quarterback D.T. McDowell will announce a decision after returning from an official visit to Mississippi State this weekend. McDowell is choosing among the Bulldogs, Louisiana State, Troy State and Nebraska.

McDowell had committed to Nebraska last summer but changed his mind after the school fired its staff. The new regime at Nebraska is recruiting him as an "athlete," which McDowell is not keen about because he has his heart set on playing quarterback. He canceled an official visit to Nebraska this past weekend.

"Mississippi State might be the school to beat, but we'll see," Tucker coach Bill Ballard said. "D.T. really likes Troy State, which would allow him to play both major college football and baseball."

Troy State is a surprise contender for McDowell, who said he is seriously considering the Alabama school. "Most people don't know about Troy State, but it's definitely a team on the rise. It would be neat to be part of building a program."

At Marist, quarterback Sean McVay pulled a minor surprise by canceling his recruiting trip to Duke last weekend and committing to Miami of Ohio. Two Marist players, cornerback Chris Davis and lineman Matt Rumsey, are headed to Duke, and cornerback William Middleton said he will sign with Furman.

Lakeside has at least two players on the way to major colleges: Cornerback Anthony Broadnax to Illinois and safety Will Dunbar to Alabama-Birmingham. Lakeside linebacker Brandon Williams got long looks from many schools, but ended up deciding on Furman.

Lakeside quarterback Jaeson Courseault is headed to Morehouse, and safety Keylon Callaway will sign with Clark Atlanta. Two or three other Lakeside players are still mulling small-college offers, according to coach Bill Harris.

"It's a great thing to see this many of our players earn scholarships because it will make the younger kids want to come out and play football," Harris said.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 AM   #203
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good news. Glad to hear about the number of players able to land scholarships.

My high school coach recently left to coach at a nearby town with his son.

It'll be hard to cheer for the Potosi Trojans instead of North County Raiders, but it's something I will have to do.

Coach first, school second.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:14 AM   #204
Blade6119
Coordinator

my highschool only has one guy getting a college scholarship, and hes a 6-8 320 OL headed to Colorado State
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #205
Ben E Lou

Oh...here's a nice bit of student-athlete news:

Jimmy, Thomas, Andrew and D.T. were all among those honored at the football banquet on Monday night for having a GPA > 3.0 in the first semester (football season) this year. I *think* Brandon and Swinton were also so-honored, but I can't remember for sure. (They called out their names and had them stand, and Brandon and Swinton weren't very near me. They both seem to be bright kids, so I wouldn't have been surprised to hear their names called, and therefore it wouldn't have stuck hard in my memory. The other four I remember visually, since they were sitting very near where I was.)
Old 01-29-2004, 11:28 AM   #206
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
my highschool only has one guy getting a college scholarship, and hes a 6-8 320 OL headed to Colorado State
Besides the six D-1 kids mentioned in that article, there are others who will get schollies at smaller schools (and maybe another D-1 or two as well). The ones I know of that are possibilities

Raejon Alexander--Lane College (committed)
Brandon Johnson--Lane College (committed)
Blake Harr--could end up D-1 also (kicker) at UAB.
Jonathon Jenkins--Davidson, Univ. of South, Furman
Clay Muirhead--Furman, MTSU
Rickey Stephens--several small schools
Steven Roche--Lane College, several other small schools
Santarius Felts--has several Juco options
Old 01-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #207
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Besides the six D-1 kids mentioned in that article, there are others who will get schollies at smaller schools (and maybe another D-1 or two as well). The ones I know of that are possibilities

Raejon Alexander--Lane College (committed)
Brandon Johnson--Lane College (committed)
Blake Harr--could end up D-1 also (kicker) at UAB.
Jonathon Jenkins--Davidson, Univ. of South, Furman
Clay Muirhead--Furman, MTSU
Rickey Stephens--several small schools
Steven Roche--Lane College, several other small schools
Santarius Felts--has several Juco options

Weve got some guys going to smaller schools as well, but its cool to know some of the other guys around the city. Im good friends with Zach Miller. hes the #1 TE in the nation, and plays for one of our rivals(just picked Arizona State). I also know guys like Marcus thomas(ran for 3,600 yards last season..at UofA). This is a pretty good year for both my states recruiting(Arizona and Missouri), and im lucky enough to know most of the Arizona guys since we play football with them all the time. Im a junior reciever but i have already been contacted by quite a few major D-1 colleges(5 in Pac-10, 2 Big 12, and some of the smaller conferences)...but i just injured my knee wrestling and that may really kill my football career.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #208
Ben E Lou

We're having a Super Bowl party here at my new office/digs, and Andrew McKain just got here, fresh from his visit to Air Force. He has now officially committed!
Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #209
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cool. The coach I worked with last season has a son at the AF Academy!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #210
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

From baseballamerica:

Code:
We just completed our AL Central Top 10 Prospects/Early Draft Preview issue, and draft guru Allan Simpson's preseason Top 100 High School Prospects list contained six players who are football recruits: Rank Player, Pos., Hometown College (Pos.) 20 Mike Rozier, lhp, Stockbridge, Ga. North Carolina (QB) 26 Joe Bauserman, rhp, Tallahassee, Fla. Ohio State (QB) 30 Tate Casey, rhp, Longview, Texas Florida (TE) 38 Matt Tuiasosopo, of/rhp, Woodinville, Wash. Washington (QB) 84 D.T. McDowell, rhp/of, Atlanta Nebraska (QB) 94 Ryan Pond, 3b, Chesapeake, Va. North Carolina State (QB)

They were guessing that Bauserman would be a 2nd or 3rd round choice so that would probably would put D.T. somehwere in the middle rounds of the draft. Could be an interesting story to follow.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:43 PM   #211
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
From baseballamerica:

Code:
We just completed our AL Central Top 10 Prospects/Early Draft Preview issue, and draft guru Allan Simpson's preseason Top 100 High School Prospects list contained six players who are football recruits: Rank Player, Pos., Hometown College (Pos.) 20 Mike Rozier, lhp, Stockbridge, Ga. North Carolina (QB) 26 Joe Bauserman, rhp, Tallahassee, Fla. Ohio State (QB) 30 Tate Casey, rhp, Longview, Texas Florida (TE) 38 Matt Tuiasosopo, of/rhp, Woodinville, Wash. Washington (QB) 84 D.T. McDowell, rhp/of, Atlanta Nebraska (QB) 94 Ryan Pond, 3b, Chesapeake, Va. North Carolina State (QB)

They were guessing that Bauserman would be a 2nd or 3rd round choice so that would probably would put D.T. somehwere in the middle rounds of the draft. Could be an interesting story to follow.
Should be. I'll be at signing day at THS tomorrow morning at 9:00am. I may see D.T. tonight at a Tucker B-ball game, but I haven't heard anything new since last week about where he's going to sign. If I hear anything tonight, I'll let y'all know. Otherwise, you'll definitely know by mid-morning.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #212
General Mike
Pro Starter

Good luck to these kids. I hope they make the right decisions for themselves and don't feel pressure to go to a certain school because of pressure from the family or the media "experts".
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #213
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Good luck to these kids. I hope they make the right decisions for themselves and don't feel pressure to go to a certain school because of pressure from the family or the media "experts".
For four of the five who have committed to D-1 schools, I can definitely say that has been the case for them, and it may be for the fifth as well:

Thomas: UGA fan from childhood. Close-knit family. Wanted to be close to home. RB situation in Athens not fully settled. Virtual no-brainer here.

Brandon: From day 1 of the process, UGA was his #1 choice. Even though FSU and others had offered, he was just waiting on the Dawgs. (He's the real-life equivalent of an "idolizes" prospect in TCY.)

Jimmy: Has no illusions about the NFL. Wants to be somewhere in the sports medicine field. Tulane is a great school. Great fit.

McKain: Top-notch student. Strong family. Well-disciplined. Strong leader among his peers. (He's on the church league b-ball team that I coach, and I'd be willing to let him be the player-coach on nights when I couldn't be at a game if the league would allow it.) This kid has "military academy" written all over him. I wouldn't be shocked to see General McKain as a member of the Joint Chiefs one day. Seriously.

Swinton: The only one I'm unsure of. He committed to Auburn awfully early, and I'd never heard him talk much about them. However, it sounds like he's going to be on the track team as well there. I don't know much about their track program, but it is nice that he'll be able to do both. Right now, he's a better track man than football player, so maybe they can develop both.

If D.T. is really only drafted in the middle rounds, and Troy State will let him play both sports, that sounds like a great fit for him as well.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #214
Ben E Lou

D.T. went with Troy State. He walked into the library undecided. He pulled Thomas outside for quite some time, then came in and talked to Coach Ballard. He was still undecided. They put him last in order of the guys that signed, so he could think a little longer. The entire time he was sitting there, you could see that he was completely tortured. When it came time for him, he had both letters in front of him. He probably waited 60-90 seconds before signing.

I've got pictures up from Signing Day available HERE
Old 02-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #215
Ben E Lou

FRONT ROW (L to R): QB D.T. McDowell--Troy State, WR James Swinton--Auburn, LB Andrew McKain--Air Force, RB Thomas Brown--Georgia, DE/OLB Brandon Lang--Georgia, ATH Jimmy Coleman, Tulane

BACK ROW (L to R): Head Coach Bill Ballard, WR Brandon Johnson--Lane, WR Raejon Alexander--Lane, K Blake Harr, Georgia Military College, T Stephen Roche, Lane, T Jonathan Jenkins--University of the South

There may be a few more to come...
Old 02-04-2004, 03:55 PM   #216
Ben E Lou

Tucker QB follows his heart to Troy State

By MICHAEL CARVELL
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Tucker quarterback D.T. McDowell provided a great deal of suspense at the school's signing ceremony on Tuesday.

The Tigers had 11 players sign college scholarships. McDowell sat at the end of the table as coach Bill Ballard announced each player's name and college choice. Things got very interesting when Ballard got to his final senior.

"I said, 'Here's our quarterback and I'm not sure where he's going,' " Ballard said. "All the people in the room kind of laughed. Then it got kind of silent."

The outgoing McDowell was suddenly speechless. He had committed to Nebraska earlier in the season but decommitted after the school changed coaches. As he sat at the table, he could not decide between Mississippi State or Troy State. The agony was apparent on McDowell's face as he went back and forth between the two schools for nearly a minute.

McDowell had the hats of both colleges in front of him on the table. He finally picked up the white one, from Troy State. His coaches, teammates and teammates' parents clapped.

"For a second there, it was like, 'Enee meenee miny mo,' " McDowell said. "I just wasn't sure. Then I made up my mind, Then I was undecided again.

"I finally told myself that I had to get control of the situation. I wasn't going to pick the school where the majority of people wanted me to go. I went with the college that was best for me."

McDowell could be the most decorated recruit in the history of Alabama-based Troy State. Assistant Mark Fleetwood, a former coach at Habersham Central, had built a close relationship with McDowell during the past year, and it turned out to be the deciding factor.

McDowell led Tucker to the state semifinals, where it lost to Statesboro. Tucker finished with a 12-2 record.

"Everyone realizes Troy State is not on par with Nebraska, but it was a great fit for D.T," Ballard said. "They are an up-and-coming program, and [McDowell] has a chance to made a huge impact next year."

Mississippi State heavily recruited McDowell in recent weeks, but it was too late because of the relationship he developed during the recruiting process with Troy State.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #217
Ben E Lou

UPDATE: Spring practice began this week. Despite the loss of such a talented and successful Senior Class, that bunch out there on the field is looking GOOD. It was fun to get to talk a bit on the sidelines with scouts from four different schools today (Maryland, UNC, UConn, UAB). They're all going after B.Y. hard and heavy. Also, Tavares is getting some serious D-1 looks as well. Maryland seems very interested in him. Finally, the most exciting news is that success breeds success: living in a heavily-populated county with 22 high schools and only 3 or 4 strong football schools, we reap some benefits--the father of one of the better young QB's in the county decided that with D.T. graduating, it would be worth it for his son's benefit to move to Tucker.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:25 AM   #218
Ben E Lou

Thoughts from Spring Practice and the Spring Game:

1. The kids were really playing hard and getting after it. In fact, the 2nd-team defense played with some SERIOUS fire for a while. B.Y. might not get hit as hard the entire regular season as two or three of the licks he took from the backups yesterday. Nice!

2. Rising Juniors Asher Allen and Mike Compton are both looking VERY, VERY good. Asher had a 70+ yard TD run. Looks like Tucker will return at least three D-1 backs next year. Scouts from several major colleges, there primarily because of B.Y. and Tavares, were asking spectators at practice about numbers 21 and 29.

3. I don't know where B.Y. is going to stack up nationally, but that boy seems to be getting a *lot* of attention.

4. There is a ton of enthusiasm and excitement around the program in general. There were more non-parents at the Spring Game than I've ever seen in the past, and several former Tigers who are now playing in college dotted the sidelines and the stands, from the small-timers like Robert Reese, Keon Slappy, etc. to blue-chipper Jabari Davis. I think the run to the Dome, followed by the January double tragedy, followed by having so many people present at Signing Day to see 12 kids commit, brought the community together around the football team like never before. Spectator attendance at Spring Practice was *much* higher than normal as well. That energy/closeness/bonding seems to be rubbing off on the kids. After the Spring Game, some good friends of ours had the entire team, all the coaches and a bunch of Tucker football supporters over for a pig pickin'. Over 100 kids in their yard eating BBQ, and visiting with each other and the adults who support them fervently. *GREAT* "family time."

5. I'm guessing that having 6 guys go D-1 this past year put Tucker "on the map" more with major colleges. There were WAY more scouts around than I've ever seen this spring--usually several different BCS Conference schools every time I was there.

6. It should be an interesting year in Georgia Class AAAA. Traditionally strong teams like Marist, Tucker and Thomas County Central all lost very strong senior classes. Shaw is dropping down to AAA, and Statesboro lost their head coach. Those five teams would have been pretty much everyone's top 5 at the end of this year, and shuffle 'em around a little and you'll get close to the top 5 in any given year in the recent past. A couple of solid AAAAA schools are dropping down to AAAA in Northside and Warner Robbins. We could see a big-time "changing of the guard" in the power structure. At the very least, we'll see some Dooley-esque poor-mouthing as Marist, Tucker, TCC and Statesboro supporters all talk publicly to each other about how much talent we've lost, and how we'll be lucky to go 7-3 this year, while privately we'll all still harbor Dome aspirations.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #219
Ben E Lou

B.Y. has given Maryland a verbal.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:24 PM   #220
General Mike
Pro Starter

D.T. McDowell was the 593rd overall selection in the MLB Draft. He was selected by the Anaheim Angels.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 06-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #221
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
D.T. McDowell was the 593rd overall selection in the MLB Draft. He was selected by the Anaheim Angels.
Yeah....getting kicked off of/quitting the Tucker baseball team his Senior year probably didn't help his stock very much...
Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #222
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Yeah....getting kicked off of/quitting the Tucker baseball team his Senior year probably didn't help his stock very much...

I was not aware of that. Is he going to play baseball at Troy besides Football, or is he just gonna be a 1 sport superstar?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #223
Ben E Lou

1. Got to visit with Thomas a bit this afternoon. He was in town for the weekend. He's loving the competition at UGA, and excited for practice to start.

2. D.T. is in Arizona, playing rookie league ball in the Anaheim organization.

3. The first 2004 6-AAAA Preview is online. Here ya go...

2004 Football Preview
Class AAAA - Region 6

It was an exciting season for Marist last season on the way to the state championship. The War Eagles didn’t let a loss in their regular-season finale to St. PiusX stop them. Instead, they knocked off then top-ranked Shaw in the quarterfinals, then disposed of state power Thomas County Central in the semifinals. They pounded Statesboro in the championship game. Marist lost a lot of talent off last year’s state championship team, but the War Eagles have enough to make a run at winning the region title and defending their state title. Overcoming the loss of 35 seniors is detrimental to most programs, but Marist should be fine. Some interior linemen have to be replaced on both sides as well as 2003 All-State quarterback/defensive back Sean McVay. Senior running back Anderson Russell (6-0, 205) gives the War Eagles a Division I-A prospect on offense. Meanwhile, senior linebacker Andrew Dete (6-0, 200) returns to lead the defense.

Tucker, the Region 6 runner-up to Marist last season, should make the playoffs again. The Tigers fell short of playing the War Eagles in the state championship game when they lost to Statesboro in overtime in the semifinals. But to approach last year’s success, Tucker must replace players such as quarterback D.T. McDowell, running back Thomas Brown and linebacker Brandon Lang. Senior running back/defensive back Brandyn Young (5-11, 180) took over in the offensive backfield midway through the season and played a key role in helping the Tigers to the semifinals. Young has verbally committed to Maryland. Linebacker Tavares Kearney (6-1, 190) gives Tucker something to build around on defense.

St. Pius X held the distinction of being the only team to beat Marist last year. The Golden Lions used that momentum to make it to the third round of the playoffs before losing to Statesboro. St. Pius might not be quite as talented, but they have enough to challenge for a playoff spot. Safety Brandon Echols (6-1, 183) is a solid prospect.

Lakeside-DeKalb moves down from Class AAAAA, just missing the playoffs last year. But the Vikings could be a team to watch for. They ended last year with a big win over Southwest DeKalb. Lakeside hopes to carry that momentum into this season.

Etowah is also moving down and should benefit. The Eagles just missed the postseason in 2003.

North Forsyth is also a team to watch for. The Raiders showed signs of turning the corner last season but finished 4-6. With its entire offensive line returning and several talented underclassmen, North Forsyth is expected to be much improved.

Chamblee played well in a win over St. Pius X and losses to Marist and South Forsyth, but poorly in a loss to North Springs. If the Bulldogs can stay consistent, they could make a run at the playoffs.

North Springs and Forsyth Central struggled last season and aren’t expected to play roles in the postseason race. Alpharetta plays its first season and will struggle in a very competitive region.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #224
Ben E Lou

YAYYYY!!! First day of practice today. It is conditioning only this week. A few comments...
  • Junior RB/WR/DB Asher Allen ran a 4.43 for the day's fastest time. Asher is benching over 300 pounds, too, and has gotten quite a bit bigger over the summer. B.Y. has already committed to a D-1 school, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't end up getting *serious* competition for starting tailback from Asher. This team just keeps reloading with big-time skill position players.
  • FB/NT Hamilton Sims is benching 340 now, and is looking like one big 5'5", 185 pound mass of muscle. He ran a sub-4.6 twice.
  • Once again, Tucker is going to have to patch an offensive line together, but this time without Coach V. He's been missed much already as a person, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being missed for what he brought to the the table as a coach as well.
  • It must be something in the water in Tucker. 12 scholarship players from a 1200ish-student school, and we'll STILL have a potential D-1 kid at virtually every skill position.
  • This should be an interesting season. I think I mentioned it earlier, but I was talking with several fathers about it again today: Tucker, Marist and Thomas County Central all lost very good senior classes, Statesboro lost their head coach, and Shaw dropped down to AAA. Some mixture of those teams could be your basic AAAA top 5 year in and year out. Last year at this time, it felt like one of Tucker, Marist, Shaw and TCC would win it all, and at the end of the year they were probably the four best teams. At this point this year, it feels like a much more wide-open field.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #225
Buzzbee
College Starter

SD - I think it may be time to start a "Real Life Tucker Dynasty: 2004".

While we've gotten to know BY and the others from this thread, it's a new team, with new players and new challenges (RIP Coach V ) so a new thread to reflect this new season is appropriate.

Plus you might get some new followers who might otherwise be put off by a five page thread.

{EDIT: typed 2005, but meant 2004}

Last edited by Buzzbee : 07-20-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 PM   #226
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
SD - I think it may be time to start a "Real Life Tucker Dynasty: 2005".

While we've gotten to know BY and the others from this thread, it's a new team, with new players and new challenges (RIP Coach V ) so a new thread to reflect this new season is appropriate.

Plus you might get some new followers who might otherwise be put off by a five page thread.
Good point. I'll start it some time in the next 2-3 weeks. I have to miss the first scrimmage on August 6th due to vacation, but I will probably get the new thread going that week, as I'll have the laptop with me, and expect to get a full report on that scrimmage game. That sounds like the right time.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:56 PM   #227
CraigSca
Pro Starter

SD,

I know B.Y. has verbaled to MD - any idea why? Was there something in particular that caused him to head that far north? I know in the past MD has had little chance of making inroads that far south. As a MD fan, I'd love to hear if you could shed some light...
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #228
Buzzbee
College Starter

I'm guessing Coach Freidgen's time at Tech is helping his Atlanta/Georgia recruiting. But that is just a guess. SD could shed more light.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:26 AM   #229
Ben E Lou

2004 Season:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=29359
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #230
Ben E Lou

Since we're right around five years from when this thread was started, I thought I'd do a quick, "where are they now" from every name mentioned in the "Meet The Offense" and "Meet The Defense" posts. Updates in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
MEET THE OFFENSE

QUARTERBACKS

Senior DT McDowell will start for the 3rd year at QB. He's got all the physical tools in the world, and has committed to Nebraska. He threw for over 1500 yards with 12 TD's, and ran for another 13 TD's last year. He's 6'1", and over 190 pounds, with an arm strong enough to throw a 90+ mph fastball. His combination of size, speed and arm strength creates serious problems for high school defenses. He's as fast as many HS running backs, as big as most HS LB's and can throw like a MLB pitcher. Rivals has him ranked as the #13 Dual-Threat QB in his class, and The Insiders has him as the #23 QB overall. Emfinger rates him the #9 athletic QB. DT’s only drawback is that, apart from the little swing pass to Thomas, he doesn’t seem to know what it means to take something off of the ball. A decent number of his incomplete passes have been on fairly short passes that he simply threw too hard for the receivers to hold on to. D.T. accepted a football scholarship to Troy, and signed with the Angels organization despite missing most of his senior season due to being kicked off the team. (In case you didn't pick up on it back then, he was, uh, a bit of a problem.) He was starting by the end of his true freshman year at Troy, but was declared academically ineligible for his sophomore year and never returned. He played in the minors, but was released by the Angels in '07. I'm not sure what he's up to now.

Senior Raejon Alexander will serve as the backup QB. Rae-Rae is smaller (170ish) and faster (4.5ish) than DT and has a solid arm (the 2nd-best pitcher on the baseball team) but nothing like the cannon that is DT's. Rae-Rae will start at WR, and rivals is listing him as a D1 prospect at that position. Earned a partial scholly to Lane College in football. Decided to play baseball for a small Juco in metro Atlanta, Georgia Perimeter College. Out of athletics now.

BOTTOM LINE: DT is a big-time prospect in both football and baseball. He's big, fast, rifle-armed and experienced, and Raejon is a capable backup.

RUNNING BACKS

No secret here. The Golden Boy of this team is Thomas Brown (Sr.), and he deserves every bit of accolade. He works harder than anyone in the weight room and on the practice field, and is truly a leader on and off the field. He is a legit 4.35 guy, fast enough to have gotten several offers from major-conference schools at CB. One of the “experts” on Georgia HS football (the guy who runs The Insiders for our state), says that he is both the best RB and the best CB in Georgia this year. Rivals rates him the #31 player in the nation, and the #3 RB overall. He has committed to the Dawgs. He’s in outstanding condition, and in tough games will play every snap on both sides of the ball. For a back with his speed at his young age, he has an uncanny ability to wait on the play to develop before committing. Played four years at UGA. Suffered several injuries including an ACL tear which wiped out half of his junior year, but finished as fifth leading rusher in UGA history. Graduated in 3 1/2 years. Drafted in 6th round by Atlanta Falcons. As of this writing, it looks like he'll make the team as a specialty back/KO returner.

Below Thomas on the depth chart is Brandyn Young (Jr.) B.Y. would be a recognized star on just about any other team. To give you an idea of his speed, as a sophomore last year, he ran the first leg of the 4X100 relay for Tucker (Thomas is the anchor). I haven’t heard an official 40 time for him, but I’m almost certain he’s sub-4.5. B.Y. will start at CB this year, and I’m guessing that next year he’ll be recruited as a D-1 RB or CB. He’s around 6 feet tall, and probably weighs 185 or so. In some passing situations, Thomas will become the single back, with B.Y. in the tight slot as a WB/H-Back. Signed with Spurrier at USC. Red-shirted one year and then left. Sat out a year then went to Tennessee-Martin, where he had a solid year as a backup in '07. INFO

At fullback, Jimmy Coleman (Sr.) and Hamilton Sims (Jr.), both starters on defense, will basically split time, with Jimmy being the starter.

Jimmy has tailback speed (4.5), and was the Region 300M hurdling champion as a Junior. He is right at 6 feet tall, and weighs 195 pounds, and is a “grit” player. He likes to hit, and doesn’t mind blocking. With his speed, on most high school teams he’d play tailback, but he’s not needed there with Thomas and B.Y. Jimmy plays some DE and LB on defense. My guess is that he’ll end up getting a scholarship to play football at a smaller school. Jimmy is also a good safety valve receiver. Scholly to Tulane. He red-shirted a year but decided not to return. He's no longer in athletics.

Ham is a little freak of nature, standing only 5’6”, but he’s listed at 185 pounds, and my guess is that he weighs every bit of that, if not more, and it is nearly all muscle. This guy was benching over 300 pounds by the end of his Sophomore year, and was up to 340 by the end of this summer. Obviously he has a HUGE leverage advantage when blocking, and that low center of gravity makes him very difficult to bring down. He isn’t overly speedy for this team, but he’s lightning-quick. He played nose tackle last year and created much havoc. This year he’ll start at LB. Scholly to Newberry College in SC as a tailback. (Told ya he was quick ). Injured as a freshman and redshirted. He'll be a Junior there this fall and expects to see significant playing time.

(A side note, Jimmy is quite the drummer, and Ham is EXCELLENT on the piano. Before every game the team goes across the street to First Baptist Church of Tucker and has a pre-game devotional. Different youth workers from the community speak to them. When I speak, we start things out with a little group gospel singing, with Jimmy, Ham and myself providing the band.)

BOTTOM LINE: The backfield is over-the-top outstanding, with even the #2 guys being college prospects. When Tucker runs the option, with these QB's and these backs, it can be absolutely lethal.

RECEIVERS
WR: As you’ve probably picked up by now, Tucker has an abundance of speed, and therefore never is rarely lacking talent at WR. This year is no different. The top two guys are Raejon (mentioned above at backup QB) and James Swinton (Sr, pictured below)

Swinton is the fastest player on the squad, even slightly faster than Thomas. Suffice to say that no team wants to kick it deep against Tucker, with Thomas and Swinton back there. Swinton is a track guy turned football player. Auburn has offered a football scholarship, and he has accepted. He’s got pretty good hands as well. He’ll be the deep threat, and the more experienced and polished Raejon will be the possession receiver. Raejon is considered a potential D1 kid at WR. Scholly to Auburn for Swinton. Hasn't seen much playing time, but he is slotted for lots this year in Auburn's new spread offense. Chatted with him via IM a couple of days ago, and he is thrilled about the new system. It should be a great fit for a guy with his speed and quickness.

Tucker shuttles in the plays primarily with receivers (although sometimes with the two fullbacks), and therefore Asher Allen (So.) will get his share of playing time.

Asher sat out most of his freshman year with a broken leg, and I didn’t get to see him play. According to one long-time Tucker fan, Asher dominated the Tucker Youth Football League as only Thomas Brown had done in the past though, and he supposedly hasn’t lost any speed from his injury. He looked good in both scrimmages, and has shown in practice that he can play with the big boys. No JV for him this year. He’ll get significant PT as a WR/CB this year. Asher signed with UGA as a cornerback. He saw significant playing time as a nickel back as a true freshman, and started last year as a sophomore. Starting corner this year for the Dawgs.

BOTTOM LINE: At a school with one of the better track programs around, WR’s aren’t that difficult to come by. Rae-Rae, Swinton and Asher will be as good as any receiving corps around.

OFFENSIVE LINE
OK, I can’t give you as detailed a report on all the linemen, but I can tell you about the key guys. We’ll start with the tackles, Steven Roche (pictured) and Clay Muirhead.

Both are Seniors, go 250-260 pounds, and have the potential to play at small colleges next year. Rivals lists Steven, but not Clay, and I’m assuming that is because Clay did not play last year due to a torn ACL. Clay is a little taller, standing at around 6’3” to Steven’s 6’2”. Roche earned a scholly to Lane College, and Clay to The Citadel. Steven got hurt and has given up football. Clay is a starter on the OL at the Citadel and will be a Senior this year.

I’m only sure of one of the starting guards, and he is the best of the linemen, Senior Andrew McKain (the one on the right in the pic below, with his best friend, FB/LB/DE Jimmy Coleman at the Young Life Halloween Hoedown last year)

“Insane McKain” passed the 300-pound bench press mark early this summer. This will be his third year as a starter. He’s 6’1” tall, and weighs 215-220 pounds. Andrew will likely play at a smaller D-1 school next year. He’s in GREAT condition, and will play nearly every play at LB and at G. Insane is an all-around athlete, starting at 3B on the baseball team, and a varsity basketball player as well. Andrew earned a scholly to the Air Force Academy. He didn't like the lifestyle and being so far from home, and has transferred to Charleston Southern (like 4 miles from my house). He had to sit out last year, but will start at WLB this year. From what I've seen in practice and the spring game, it looks like he will be a star at this level.

At center, Tucker will use Junior Will Stewart.

Will’s father and older brother are both tall and slender, but Will has continued to fill out since starting in the weight room as an 8th grader. He was a QB an RB in the TYFL, but moved to TE/FB last year, and the coaches asked him to try to bulk up over the summer for a move to C. He did so nicely, growing to 6’1”, 220 pounds with some heavy eating and hard work in the weight room. Will earned a scholly to Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. He decided he didn't like the rigors of college football and gave it up. He is currently a Senior at PC and on target to graduate this spring.

Will had two solid preseason games blocking-wise. He and DT did have a few mishandled snaps in the 2nd preseason game last Saturday, which is a concern considering it is his first year, and that the coaches had DT sit out a week and a half of practice to rest a minor injury. The two of them spent some extra time on snaps this week though, and hopefully things will be fine there. Will is also a basketball player.

At tight end, the Tigers will start 6’4”, 225-pound Senior Brandon Lang.

Brandon is also a kid in great shape who’ll play every snap on both sides of the ball. Brandon is a big-time D1 player as a DE, which we’ll discuss in the next post, but he’s also a very good tight end. He’s got great speed for a guy his size (4.5), and is another all-around athlete, the starting RF on the baseball team. Topsy-turvy college situation for Brandon. He signed with the Dawgs, but wasn't eligible and had to go to Hargrave Military Academy for a year. He wasn't able to get up to UGA's standards there in a year, but Troy offered him a scholly. He had to sit out another year with the transfer. He finally was ready to go last year, but tore his ACL in the 2nd or 3rd game of the year. He is fully recovered and full strength, and will start at DE. He was rated at the Sun Belt Conference's top NFL draft prospect by TSN recently.

BOTTOM LINE: If there is a “weak spot” to the offense, it is the o-line, but that is only by comparison to having BCS Conference players starting at QB, RB and WR. The offense was able to run the ball pretty well in both of the preseason scrimmages, which were against playoff teams from a larger classification.

OFFENSIVE SETS: The Tigers will primarily run out of the "I." However, with all this talent at the skill positions, they will at times come at you with multiple formations. They'll use an H-Back set and Double Wing quite a bit, and every now and then throw in the Pro Set and Single Back/3WR set.

Quote:
MEET THE DEFENSE

First off, I had some problems with some of the pictures in the above post, so I won’t be posting any in this one.

DEFENSIVE LINE
Siraj Meah, who is around 5’8”, 180 pounds, is the starting middle guard. He’s not that big, but is VERY quick off of the ball, and should create plenty of havoc in the middle of the line. In short yardage situations, Tucker will use a kid who moved to Tucker over the summer who is 6’4”, 280 pounds. I can’t recall his name at the moment, but he wears #79. Steven Roche and Clay Muirhead(starting offensive tackles) will see some time in a rotation at defensive tackle, among others, depending on how their endurance holds up. Siraj was never really a college prospect, and ended his athletic career as a senior at Tucker.

At defensive ends, Jimmy Coleman (FB) will come from the left side, and Brandon Young (TE) will come from the right. Brandon is a major prospect as a DE, listed as the #21 DE in the land by The Insiders, and #18 by Rivals. He is a true speed rusher, running a 4.55 40-yard dash. Florida State is the front-runner right now for his services next year. They’ve offered a scholarship, but he hasn’t accepted yet. He’s hoping that the Dawgs will offer, which they haven’t yet.

BOTTOM LINE: The DL will have solid size and outstanding quickness.

LINEBACKERS
The linebackers are very, very good. Andrew McKain (mentioned at G above) led the team in tackles last year as a Junior. Hamilton Sims (backup FB above) will also start. Both of these guys LOVE to hit. Sims will go to the D-line some, with Jimmy Coleman playing LB.

BOTTOM LINE: Having both starting linebackers benching 300+ pounds is a nice luxury to have. Andrew and Hamilton are going to punish some ball carriers.

SECONDARY
Again, having SO much speed, not many people are going to have much success passing against the Tigers. A Sophomore named Mike Compton will split time at one corner with Junior Trey Buice. Mike moved to Tucker from Oklahoma over the summer. He’s a sophomore. I saw him play a couple of summer baseball games, and I know he’s fast, and he’s got HUGE Earl Campbell-type thighs. Both have speed, but lack a ton of experience. However, the rest of the secondary is very experienced. B.Y. will hold down the other corner. As I mentioned above, I think B.Y. is a D-1 kid in the making. If all goes well with the youngsters at one corner, Tucker will have the luxury of using Thomas as the free safety this year, rather than confining him to one side of the field at CB. His speed and amazing football savvy for his age make this a very good fit for him. Myke signed as a RB with Louisiana Tech. He red-shirted as a freshman. Played in all 12 games on special teams last year. He's likely to get a bit of playing time at RB this year. Trey signed with Ball State. He lettered as a true freshman and has earned two more since. He is now a Senior.

BOTTOM LINE: The secondary is very fast. If the Sophomores can do a good job at one corner, it is lights-out in the secondary.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-19-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #231
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Asher Allen gets drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the 3rd Round (86th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #232
Ben E Lou

The Falcons signed Swinton to the practice squad today.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #233
Ben E Lou

Oh, and Brandon Lang won All Sun Belt and is being projected as a 2nd-day pick.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #234
Ben E Lou

Quote:

At tight end, the Tigers will start 6’4”, 225-pound Senior Brandon Lang.

Brandon is also a kid in great shape who’ll play every snap on both sides of the ball. Brandon is a big-time D1 player as a DE, which we’ll discuss in the next post, but he’s also a very good tight end. He’s got great speed for a guy his size (4.5), and is another all-around athlete, the starting RF on the baseball team.
Brandon was signed shortly after the 2010 draft as a priority free agent by the San Diego Chargers.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #235
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Brandon was signed shortly after the 2010 draft as a priority free agent by the San Diego Chargers.

San Diego Chargers Preseason: 10 Observations vs. Chicago Bears | Bleacher Report
Quote:

Undrafted rookie linebacker Brandon Lang had a big day for the San Diego Chargers on Saturday.

The 6'4" 256-pound Lang, from Troy University, made an argument for a roster spot by blocking a punt in the third quarter that rolled out of the end zone for a safety as well as hitting second-string quarterback Caleb Hanie to force a fumble.

Lang has a great story going from a high school standout to an undrafted rookie. He's going to be a player to watch this pre-season.

Fans Are Apparently Ready For Football

With the first place San Diego Padres playing the second of a three game set against the San Francisco Giants, the Charger fans showed that they're ready for football season to be back in San Diego.

The total attendance on Saturday afternoon was 55,837. Impressive for a pre-season game. If you didn't think football was popular, regardless of what city you were in, this should prove just how ready fans are for the game to be back.

Defense Swarms The Chicago Bears

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
The Chargers' defense looked solid on Saturday afternoon. Their defensive line held the Bears' running backs to just 1.9 yards per carry as well as coming up with six sacks, two of which came against starter Jay Cutler.

Chargers' safety Paul Oliver had an interception as well as a fumble recovery, undrafted rookie linebacker Brandon Lang had a blocked punt and a forced fumble, Donald Strickland had one sack, and Kevin Burnett was able to get to Cutler on a third down play to stop a drive.

Offensive Line Doesn't Give an Inch

The Chargers' offensive line didn't give an inch to Julius Peppers as well as the rest of the Chicago Bears' defense.

They kept Philip Rivers protected through two series and never gave the Bears a single opportunity at a sack through six pass attempts from Rivers.

The Bears only registered one sack of the day which came against Chargers' backup quarterback Billy Volek.

Too Many Penalties

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
The Chargers were whistled for nine, count 'em, nine penalties during Saturday's game against Chicago. Three of which were false start penalties against Jeromey Clary in the very first quarter including back-to-back jumps during the second drive of the game.

If this trend keeps up, it's going to kill offensive drives for a talented offensive team. They've got to limit those penalties if they don't want to screw themselves out of field position.

Jeromey, when the ball moves, you move. Got it?

Ryan Mathews Impresses Coaches and Teammates Alike

Rookie running back Ryan Mathews tweeted sometime last week that he was not going to "replace LaDainian Tomlinson." Could have fooled me, Ryan.

Before the game even started, Mathews had so much nervousness pent up inside him that he actually had to run back to the locker room to throw up.

Even after that, it seemed his adrenaline was getting the best of him through a few plays, hitting the holes even before his offensive lineman could get there. Mathews said Kris Dielman told him to slow down a little bit during the game. That was just the nerves,” Mathews said after the game. “I was just trying to get out there fast. That was me just overthinking it.”

Besides that, however, Mathews impressed not not only head coach Norv Turner who said, “you trust what you see and I’ve seen him now for three months. He’s got all the things you need to be an outstanding runner. It’s exciting to have him," but also quarterback Philip Rivers.

At one point in the game, Mathews took a handoff in the end zone and ran right over Bears' linebacker Lance Briggs. I'm not sure even Tomlinson could have done that in his prime.

Ah Yes, Football Is Back

Sure there was a game going on and sure the fans wanted to see newcomers like Ryan Mathews perform on a bigger stage than what he'd been used to in his college years. But come on, you can't tell me that football fans weren't looking forward to this as well?

With the NFL, and football in general, come the cheerleaders and with one of the best climates on earth come some of the most beautiful women on earth. Luckily for the Charger fans, a few of them are Charger cheearleaders.

Ah yes, football has returned.

Begin Slideshow

San Diego Chargers Preseason Countdown: Three Personnel on the Hot Seat

Continue Reading