Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
billethius
Mascot

Winning the Triple Crown - A The Racing Breed Dynasty

Following on path12's excellent dynasty, I've decided to create my own The Racing Breed dynasty. Like him, this is my first dynasty. Well, kind of. I had a short-lived one on the OOTP forums a few years ago, but a hard drive crash destroyed that effort. Interestingly, I also grew up at Longacres in Washington - and I really mean 'grew up.' My grandfather was a trainer there (and is now one at Emerald Downs during the summer), and both of my parents worked there when I was a child.

I personally had no interest in the sport until sometime in high school, when I got interested in it through the breeding portion of the industry. I love learning about the various bloodlines and how they affect the horses of racing age. Being in Washington, and Emerald Downs only having a dirt track, I've had few opportunities to bet on horses based purely on their breeding, which is more common with horses making their first attempt on turf.

Since getting interested in it, I've bought a few yearlings in California with my parents and then re-sold them at the local yearling sale. In addition, I've owned a horse who was retired this year after being unable to compete at the lowest claiming level here ($3,500), but he won 3 races and made about $35k over his 3.5 years of racing. Finally, I purchased a horse - well, I'm a 1/4 owner along with my parents and a few other people - at the yearling sale a few weeks ago (by Matty G. out of a Mt. Livermore mare). Hopefully we have more luck with this one.

Despite going through dozens of years and hundreds of graded stakes horses on my own, I've yet to win a Kentucky Derby. In fact, I've noticed I tend to do best with turf horses and sprinters - possibly signifying that I'm looking at the wrong bloodlines, so that's something I'll definitely try to change in this game.

I chose to start the game at the New York track with $100k in funds. In the initial sale, I'll be looking for a 3yo or two that either showed some promise as a 2yo in the morning or racing in the afternoon. After the first year, though, I won't be attending the January mixed sale, as it's a bit too easy to get good horses there.

The same goes for claims, so I'll find a way to resist claiming every great horse that is put in for a price, and I'll restrict my stable to 10 horses initially. The game allows you to have up to 40, so I may up that limit to 20 after a few years.

Anyway - I think that's about all I can say about the setup, so here we go....

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 12:18 AM.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
billethius
Mascot

1/2/2006

The Horses of Racing Age Sale:

The first interesting horse is Painted Snowflake, a 3yo filly by Lost Soldier out of Forbes Gate (Houston). I'm a big fan of Lost Soldier, as he tends to throw good sprinters on both surfaces. Her works weren't too impressive, but I've found that there's little correlation between the works and ability on turf. The bid is at $35k, so I decide to place a single bid and I get her for $37k! Hopefully she works out.

Next up is Tahoe Sara, a 3yo filly by Ide out of Sparkling Agent (Devil's Bag). She didn't run great in her only start at 2, a fifth place finish in a maiden 40k race at 4.5 furlongs, but she was checked on the backstretch and did earn a solid 70 speed rating. Amazingly, the bid is only at $10k for her, and I'm able to get her for $11k. This might be a steal.

Finally, I see Fast Detroit, a 3yo colt by Whitney Tower out of Immediate Fire (Pentelicus). He was unraced as a 2yo, but had some decent 3/8 works (36.3, 36.4) back in March. I get him for $17k.

I don't see anything else of interest in the sale, so it looks like that's going to be my stable heading into the first year.

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
billethius
Mascot

Now to find some races…

1/10/2006

Entries:

The first maiden race on turf for Painted Snowflake isn't until the 27th of January. I could run her in a dirt race first, but there's no guarantee she'd be ready again by the end of the month, so she won't run until then.

For Tahoe Sara, there's a maiden $32.5k race going 6.5 furlongs on dirt on . I think she's probably worth more than this given her one race last year, so hopefully the computer trainers don't see the same thing and claim her. It should be a nice, soft spot for her first race of the year.

Fast Detroit is entered into a maiden $50k race going 7 furlongs on the dirt on opening day.

Races:

Eek - Fast Detroit is the 1-1 favorite in the race. I may have underestimated the quality of horses that would be running for $50k. Hopefully I don't lose him. He'll break from post six in an eight horse race. He breaks fine and sits mid-pack before fading to second last with a 53 speed rating. Not good, but it was his first race. I'll try to drop him down a level next time out and see how that works.

Next up is Tahoe Sara. She's the 9-2 second choice in this maiden $32.5 race. The favorite looks pretty nice, and I wish I had the money to claim her, but that kind of expenditure at this point would put me in danger of dropping into the red when the bills are collected at the beginning of next month. Tahoe Sara breaks from post eight on a muddy track. As expected, the favorite goes out and demolishes the field. Sara finished second, beaten 13 lengths, though she was second the whole way and it was another 10 lengths back to third place. This is probably the right level for her, though given the speed rating (54), I'll hope for a fast track next time out to see if she can match what she did as a 2yo.

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
billethius
Mascot

1/27/2006

Entries:

Neither of the two to run thus far are ready to be entered back.

Races:

Painted Snowflake is in the fourth race on January 27th. She's the longest shot on the board at 26-1 in a field of seven, but that's alright given that it's a turf race early in the year. Most of these horses haven't run on the turf either, so anything can happen. She breaks well from the seven-hole, and sits in a comfortable fifth through the first half-mile. She makes a move around the turn and through the stretch to end up second, beaten 5 and 1/4 lengths with a 66 speed rating. Not too bad for a straight Maiden Special Weight race. I'll try to give her another sprint on turf before stretching her out to a flat mile.

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
billethius
Mascot

1/31/2006

January Recap:

Starting Money: $100,000
Purchases: 3 horses for $65,000
Training Expenses: $6,000
Earnings: $13,600
Finishing Money: $46,600

Painted Snowflake finished second in her first race of the year, a Maiden Special Weight going 6 furlongs on the turf. She earned $9,400 for that race.

Tahoe Sara also finished second in her first race of the year, a $32.5k maiden claimer going 6.5 furlongs on the dirt. She earned $4,200 for her effort.

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
billethius
Mascot

2/8/2006

Entries:

Tahoe Sara is ready again and is entered into a 6.5 furlong, $40k maiden claimer on the dirt. She's stepping up a level here, but it was the only race in the near future, and given that that's where she ran as a 2yo, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Fast Detroit is also ready and is entered into a maiden $40k race going 6 furlongs on the dirt. He's dropping a level, which will hopefully help him out after his less-than-inspiring first race.

Races:

Tahoe Sara is the 7-1 co-fourth choice in the third race on Wednesday, February 8th. She breaks from the ten-hole and sits very close to a moderate opening quarter that went in 23.1. Sara enters the turn three-wide, but pokes her nose in front anyway after a half-mile in 46.1. As I suspected, a fast track was exactly what she needed, as she drew off to win by a length in a decent time of 1.17.3, good for a 76 speed rating.

Fast Detroit is the last choice in the third race on Sunday, February 12th. He's a longshot at 17-1, and appropriately gets a terrible, six percent jockey. He'll have to outrun both his odds and his jockey to have a chance here. He breaks from post three, and sits mid-pack once again through the first quarter. Only this time, instead of fading as they enter the turn, he makes a nice little move up the rail to put himself into second with his eyes on the leader. Unfortunately, he flattens out a bit in the stretch and ends up third with a 51 speed rating. Even worse, he comes back to the barn with a grabbed quarter that'll keep him out of racing for a month or so. Still, it was an encouraging race.

Last edited by billethius : 10-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
path12
Coordinator

Good luck! I'll be following along looking for tips -- my sire knowledge was best about 15 years ago so I struggle with that in the game.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
billethius
Mascot

2/22/2006

Entries:

Painted Snowflake is ready for her next start on turf, but there isn't a sprint available anytime soon, so it looks like she'll be routing sooner rather than later. There is an 8.5 furlong maiden race on March 1st, so that's where she'll be entered.

Meanwhile, since I have nearly $60k in the bank, I'll look for a claim this week - likely in the $32.5k or $40k range. If there's nothing interesting, I'll take a look at the 2yo In Training sale next week.

And the first horse I see that's interesting is actually in for $50,000. Count Opera is a 3yo colt by Sefapiano out of Life Rock (Fit To Fight). Fit To Fight is a fantastic female family line, and it doesn't hurt that this colt has put up a couple of nice races, winning his debut as a 2yo in a maiden $50k race, then coming back and winning his first race as a 3yo, a $32.5k claimer by 1 and 1/2 lengths with a speed rating of 96. To this point, both of his races have been sprints, but his breeding says he should at least get a flat mile. I'll drop a claim ticket and see what happens.

Despite being blocked around the turn and into the stretch, he draws off to win by 3 and 3/4 lengths, posting a speed rating of 88. My claim goes through and I've now got a fourth horse. Unfortunately, given how expensive he was, I also don't have any money. I sure hope Painted Snowflake can route when she gets her chance next week...

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
billethius
Mascot

2/28/2006

February Recap:

Starting Money: $46,600
Training Expenses: $6,000
Claims: 1 horse for $50,000
Earnings: $17,040
Finishing Money: $7,640

That number means I'm going to go into the red by $360 to start March. If Painted Snowflake hits the board tomorrow, it'll be a short-lived problem.

Racing Highlights:

Tahoe Sara broke her maiden in her second start for me, getting the 6.5 furlongs over a fast dirt track in 1.17.3, good for a career high 76 speed rating.

Fast Detroit, also making his second start for me, actually posted a worse speed rating (51), but got a better result, finishing third after he was dropped down the claiming ladder. The fact that he suffered a grabbed quarter in the race gives me optimism that he'll be competitive at the maiden $40k level when he returns to racing.

Claims:

Count Opera, claimed for $50k out of his last race, looks like a pretty nice colt. He's now got three wins from three career starts, and he's eligible for the $40k starter allowance races, which is probably where I'll look to place him given that he's already handily defeating horses at the top of the claiming ranks.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
billethius
Mascot

3/1/2006

Entries:

Tahoe Sara should be ready real soon, so I'll start looking for a $32.5k claimer for her after she broke her maiden for $40k.

Races:

Somehow Painted Snowflake is the 1-2 favorite in the seventh race on March 1st. After her encouraging turf debut, she's in going a mile and a sixteenth, which might be on the long end of her ability based on her breeding. This race came up surprisingly soft for a Maiden Special Weight - which is probably due to the surface. None of the fillies in the race has shown any ability on the dirt. However, there is some fantastic turf breeding in here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those fillies win this for fun.

For example, breaking from the two-hole is Lettuce Symphony. She's by Kingmambo, who stands for $225k and tends to throw very good turf routers. To this point, she's only started in dirt sprints. The distance and surface switch could be all she needs to wake up, and despite being 15-1, I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see it happen.

Right next to her is Deputy Pass, by Rahy ($100k stud fee) out of a Devil's Bag mare. Once again, the sire is known to throw really nice turf routers. She's actually only run once, finishing a distant third in a Maiden Special Weight going today's distance, but on the dirt. Second time routing by itself is a good reason to like a horse, and when you factor in the surface switch, you have to think this one is primed for a breakout race. We'll see how it goes..

I really should have bet the trifecta there - the results were Deputy Pass - Lettuce Symphony - Painted Snowflake. The exacta paid $185.40, and the trifecta paid $93.80. Not too bad.

Deputy Pass and Lettuce Symphony were 1-2 the whole way, with Deputy Pass drawing off down the stretch to win easily. Painted Snowflake, meanwhile, ran pretty well for her first route. She closed a bit through the second turn and then flattened out in the stretch - that's pretty common for a horse's first route. It looks like she can handle the distance, so I'll be happy to enter her back either sprinting or routing.

Last edited by billethius : 09-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
billethius
Mascot

3/15/2006

Entries:

The first race I find for Tahoe Sara is on March 16th. It's a one mile race on dirt for a claiming price of $32,500. This should be the right level for her given her maiden victory, so hopefully she can handle stretching out to a route.

Count Opera is also about ready to run, but unfortunately there are no starter allowance races for 3yo colts anytime soon. There is a non-winners of 1 (NW1x) allowance race going a mile that he'll fit in on the 25th of March.

Races:

In a field of seven, Tahoe Sara is the next to last betting choice at 8-1. Given the relative closeness of all of the horses (by odds), I'd say this is a pretty open race ... and unfortunately, Sara runs to her odds, only beating the longshot and posting a speed rating of 66. Once she gets back to the barn, though, it's discovered that she's suffering from a minor illness, which definitely explains her poor performance. It'll take her a bit to recover, but it's still possible that she'll fit nicely at the $32.5k level.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
billethius
Mascot

3/22/2006

Entries:

Painted Snowflake is ready to make her third start of the year and there isn't a single maiden race on the turf until the end of April. I'd prefer not to have to do this, but I'll ship her to either Kentucky or Florida if there's a race that she fits that's still during March.

And there is - Painted Snowflake has been entered into a Maiden Special Weight in Kentucky on March 30th. This race will stretch her even further, to 9 furlongs.

Fast Detroit is also almost ready, though I'll wait a bit longer with him as he's coming off of an injury.

Races:

Count Opera is the third choice at 7-1 in his first attempt at stepping into the allowance ranks. The biggest knock against him is that he's never routed before, but I'm not too concerned about it. What I am concerned about is Wise G, a colt by Storm Cat out of a Mr. Prospector mare, who was graded stakes placed four times as a 2yo - twice going a mile or more. Still, if my colt runs back to his race in January, he should be very competitive.

Count Opera breaks well, settles nicely behind the two leaders for the first half mile. Going into the second turn, he makes a move and looks like he's going to go right on by both of them, but then he flattens out with about a quarter mile to go, backing up to finish sixth with an 88 speed rating. Not a bad first route, but also not as good as I was hoping for. I'll give him another shot routing, but that race looked to me like something you'd see out of a pure sprinter.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
billethius
Mascot

3/29/2006

Entries:

Fast Detroit is ready and has been entered into a maiden $25k race. This is a pretty big drop from the $40k level, so I'm looking for him to break through and get his maiden win on the 9th of April.

Races:

Painted Snowflake is once again a heavy favorite, this time she'll break from the gates at odds of 1-9. Unlike the last time, there really isn't anyone in this race that I think has the breeding to create a huge upset. As long as she can get the distance and handle an off track (rated as good), she should be able to win this race.

Unfortunately, she couldn't handle it. I think a flat mile looks like her maximum distance. She ran a clean race and finished second, beaten 2 and 1/2 lengths. Hopefully she's ready to go again by the time the 6.5 furlong race comes up at the end of April.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
billethius
Mascot

3/31/2006

March Recap:

Starting Money: $7,640
Training Expenses: $8,000
Travel Expenses: $1,500
Earnings: $13,370
Finishing Money: $11,510

Racing Highlights:

Tough month. Painted Snowflake ran twice and was the heavy favorite both times, but failed to get the job done. It looks like the two routes might have been a bit too far for her. Count Opera also failed to do much in his first race for my barn, though he was in awfully tough and I still have hope that he can be a nice colt.

Last edited by billethius : 10-01-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
billethius
Mascot

4/5/2006

Entries:

It looks like Count Opera is about ready to make his second start for me. Once again, there aren't any starter allowance races, but there's another NW1x race on Sunday, April 9th, this time sprinting 6 furlongs - a distance he's already shown he can handle just fine.

Races:

Fast Detroit has been placed in a much better position this time. Where last out, he was a 17-1 longshot, this time he's the 9-5 favorite, barely edging out another colt that's at 2-1.

For the first time in his career, Fast Detroit breaks on top and rushes out to a 4 and 1/2 length lead by the time they've gone a half mile. He extends that around the turn and appears to tire a bit in the stretch, but not enough for anyone else to catch him. It looks like the stable has its second winner! A finishing time of 1.24.3 for the 7 furlongs definitely isn't anything special, and neither is the 64 speed rating. Still, a win is a win, and given his breeding, I think there's still room to grow by giving both routes and turf a try.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
billethius
Mascot

4/19/2006

Entries:

Count Opera wasn't quite ready to race on the 16th, so I moved him into a mile race on the 19th. After his first route, I said I wouldn't mind giving him one more shot at the distance, so he's going to get it here. If he doesn't run better this time, it'll be back to sprinting for him.

It really is too bad that he wasn't ready, though, as the race he scratched out of would have been an easy victory.

Tahoe Sara is also ready, having recovered from her illness. There really aren't any cheap claimers for 3yo fillies, though, so she'll have to wait until May 7th to run again in a 7 furlong, $32.5 claimer.

Races:

This race came up the complete opposite of the sprint. Count Opera is going to have to run the race of his life to win this.

After breaking well and settling behind the top two horses, he got stuck throughout the far turn, which may have cost him the victory, as when he finally got free as they straightened for home, he didn't have as much left as a few of the other horses and he faded to finish 5th. That was much better than his first route, and given some better luck, he could have come away with a victory.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
billethius
Mascot

4/26/2006

Entries:

Painted Snowflake is about ready (99 energy level), and if she doesn't run in the 6 furlong race on the 28th, she's going to have to route again or wait for another sprint to come up, so I'll go ahead and enter her.

Races:

Painted Snowflake breaks from post position four as the 8-5 favorite, though there's a 4yo filly on the outside who I would probably set as the favorite if I were setting the odds. She doesn't break well, and in fact trails the field for the first half mile before making a run and finishing third. It's her best race from a speed rating standpoint, and she wasn't going to catch the winner (94 speed rating), so I guess I'll have to settle for having her consistently hit the board.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
billethius
Mascot

4/30/2006

April Recap:

Starting Money: $11,510
Earnings: $25,120
Finishing Money: $21,610

Racing Highlights:

Pretty light month, and it'll probably continue to be this way until there are a few more horses in the stable. That said, Fast Detroit provided the stable with its second win, Painted Snowflake continues to hit the board, and Count Opera probably could have won his race if he'd had a bit more racing luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #19
billethius
Mascot

5/3/2006 - 5/14/2006

Entries:

The New York track will be having it's yearly one-month break starting after the next two weekends of racing, so aside from running Tahoe Sara in the third race on Sunday, May 7th, I've decided to enter Count Opera in an allowance race going 5 furlongs on the turf on Friday, May 12th. He's never run on turf before, and there really isn't anything in his breeding that says he should, but it's the only race for him in New York for at least a month, so why not?

Races:

Tahoe Sara is a bit of a longshot at 15-1, and she doesn't show much along the backstretch, sitting mid-pack about 4 lengths back. As the fillies enter the turn, Sara tries to make a move but she's blocked. She finally breaks free as they enter the stretch and she amazingly runs them all down and wins by 1 and 1/2 lengths.

So she's now won two races, a maiden $40k claimer at 6.5 furlongs and an open $32.5k claimer at 7 furlongs. Not too bad.

Next up is Count Opera. He's the 1-1 favorite, but I think we've already seen that the odds in early turf races are almost meaningless. Looking through the horses though, there doesn't appear to be much talent here, and there's not a whole lot of turf breeding either. If he can run at all on turf, he should have a good shot. The only thing I worry about is having him get caught four or five wide in the turn since it's only a 5 furlong race and he'll breaking from post position seven.

And my fear was well founded, as he enters the turn five wide before dropping in one path and running most of it four wide. It wasn't enough to make a difference, though, as Count Opera drew off through the turn and stretch to win by 3 and 1/2 lengths in a brisk 56.4 for the 5 furlongs - good for a 93 speed rating and a win at the NW1x level. Looks like he's able to sprint on either surface, which will give me plenty of options down the road.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
billethius
Mascot

5/31/2006

May Recap:

Starting Money: $21,610
Earnings: $49,800
Finishing Money: $63,410

Racing Highlights:

It was a good month. Despite only having two starters, both of them were winners and I came away with almost $50k in earnings. Both Tahoe Sara and Count Opera won their second career races. Count Opera looks like he'll have a decent career sprinting on either surface, and Tahoe Sara surprised everyone at 15-1 odds in an open $32.5k claimer.

Of particular interest is the fact that Tahoe Sara has now run twice on off-tracks with a win and a place. Horses who run well in the mud or slop occasionally have some ability on turf as well, so I'll look for a claimer for her on that surface at some point, though those don't appear too often until the horses are four years old.

Last edited by billethius : 10-04-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
lahoward
n00b

This thread interested me so much that i hunted the game down & purchased it awhile back. After stumbling across this thread yet once again I have dusted off my disc and will be racing in a few. Thanks for the thread man, it's been fun reading.
lahoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Big Six
High School Varsity

Watching Secretariat this weekend got me thinking about the "sport of kings," and I remembered reading a couple of very enjoyable dynasties based on Racing Breed. I just downloaded the demo, and if it's as much fun as I think it's going to be, I'll buy the game.

And, if I buy the game, you can bet I'll write a Racing Breed dynasty, too. Thanks for the inspiration!
Big Six is offline   Reply With Quote