Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

FM10 - From the Top Down

FM2010
English Premier League: Tottenham

Apologizes to Radii for ripping off his dynasty thread title, but here is the setup. This is my first FM purchase ever, just a few weeks ago, and I suck. I have toyed around with a few L1, L2 and BSP teams and figured a few things out. I am currently playing as Rushden in BSP, but I wanted to try a big name team.

I read on CNNSI that the Yankees were looking into buying Tottenham, so I figure they must be pretty good, right? Why not try a career with them and see how quick I can sink them (not on purpose, I told you I suck at this game). Most likely I'll get fired before I can do any real damage.

The goals? Win the Premier League. Win some of those Cup competitions they play? I don't get very excited about those since they hold no prestige to me personally, but I guess they are pretty important to the English! Coach a WC team.

We begin in July 2009.

July 7, 2009

Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chair, welcomes me to White Heart Lane. He has given me a 2 year contract worth $2,900,000 per year. Clearly I work for a deranged individual!

Our fans call us the Spurs. Why? I have no idea. We have rivalries with Chelsea and Arsenal. I have heard of them.

I set up with a 4-4-2 formation for now, because that is about all I know. I toyed with a 4-3-3 in FMH and I like that, but I am going to keep it super simple for now.

The board asks me what my goals are for this year. I stay conservative and tell them a top half finish. They give me $10 million to blow....I mean spend, and an annual payroll budget of $80 million. Sounds good to me.

The first thing I do as a good soccer manager is review my roster. This should be fun. The numerical representations of my player's skills means nothing to me, so I pretty much go exclusively by the star ratings and what my assistant coach tells me, and later by their match ratings.

Keepers, or as I call them, Goalies.

My best Keeper is missing a first name, or maybe a last name. He goes by Gomes. He is just 28 years old and rated 4 stars. You really have to love what my assistant thinks his strength is: Shot Stopping

Well fuck, it better be, he is a goalie!

We have an old Italian guy backing him up. 35 year old Cudicini. 3 stars.
Jimmy Walker is third string. DY-NO-MITE!

Defense – Left

If anybody actually is reading this, can you tell me what WB means under position? Some of my guys are not only defensive players but WB's. I completely ignore that for now.

25 year old Benoit Assou-Ekotto is the best I got here, and he is only 3 stars. His backup, Gareth Bale looks to have a higher ceiling, but he is injured right now and is clearly not ready to be a starter.

Defense – Right

Not much better over on this side. 23 year old Vedran Corluka is my best bet to start. He is 3 stars. Kyle Walker backs him up.

Defense – Center

We are better down the middle. 28 year old Ledley King is our best overall defender. He is rated 4 stars. 29 year old Jonathan Woodgate is 3.5 stars and will probably be our other starter, but he is injured right now.

We have some nice depth here with 22 year old Sebasten Bassong and 23 year old Younes Kaboul both checking in at 3 stars and injured 25 year old Michael Dawson with 2.5 stars.

So best as I can tell, here is our defense, assuming everyone is healthy by the time the season starts:

Assou-Ekotto King Woodgate Corluka

It seems to me that some of the $10,000,000 should go to left and right defenders.

Midfield – Another question for the experienced FM reader. Why are some midfields attacking and some are just midfielders and then some others, but only centers are defensive midfielders?

Midfield – Left

None of my players BEST position is ML, nut a couple of them can play there, including 23 year old Luka Modric, who rates 4.5 stars. That must mean he is real good! Also, Niko Kranjar, 24 years old, is rated 3.5 stars.

Midfield – Right

24 year old David Bentley is the best, but that is not saying much. He is rated just 3 stars and Aaron Lennon, 22 years old, will back him up at 2.5 stars.

Midfield – Center

We are solid, but not spectacular here. 24 year old Wilson Palacios gets one spot being the best we have. He is 4 stars.

We also have a pair of guys rated 3.5 stars, so I guess I'll give them both some starts and see who I hate the least. 22 year old Tom Huddlestone and Niko Kranjar....oh, I just noticed I have him as the left side backup. I guess he can be a versatile player for me.

We also have a couple slouches to fill in, so we have depth in the middle once again.

So, when healthy, we have:

Modric Palacios Huddlestone Bentley

Midfield right is going to be another area I should try to address.

Strikes – I know what these guys do. They score the goals. Whats the difference between a ST and a FC?

Probably like most FM amateurs, I love highly rated strikers. Well, I only have one.

26 year old Jermaine Defoe is going to be counted on heavily by me to put the round ball in the gigantic net. He is rated 4 stars.

28 year old Peter Crouch is 3.5 stars and is clearly my second best striker.

We have a couple guys that are OK to back them up, both of them are loaners.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So I check out who is transfer listed, knowing I would like to improve my DL/DR and MR positions. I get report cars on guys that are listed in the 3-5 million dollar range. It turns out they would all suck.

So, I start thinking about just spending the whole pot of money on one player and request a few more report cards.

These guys all turn out to be similar to what I already have. It would give me some depth, but that doesn't really make my starting lineup better.

So, for now I guess I sit on this money and maybe make some moves as the season wears on.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

As I advance the calendar towaards my friendly matches I start getting offers for King and Assou, two of my best players. Of course, I reject them. They were not even great offers.

I'm sure that is just going to piss these guys off, they will ruin team chemistry, blah blah blah. I don't care, they are staying put.

Also, I guess I understand teams from other countries asking about these guys, but ManU? Really? I'm just gonna sell off my best defender to you guys because you are ManU? I hate them already.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

I like it. I'll be reading!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We hit late July and the friendly matches and I get an interesting offer. My starting ML, Modric is valued at over $12 mil. Man City come in with an offer of over $25 mil for him. He is rated the top player on my squad though, at 4.5 stars.

They have given me a week to think about it.

Any thoughts? I don't think I want to sell him, but they are offering double what he seems to be worth!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

As we wrap up my first month in charge, not much else happens. Here is a quick run down...

1) Some unemployed fitness coach announces he wants to join my team. I say sure, why not and offer him a contract. He accepts. My boards says, WTF are you doing? We don't need any more coaches. They neg the deal. Sorry unemployed dude, hit the welfare lines, or whatever they have in England.

2) A few more offers come in for my good players, I reject them all. ManU continues to harass me for a couple of my players. At one point, after rejecting them, they approach me and ask me what I would want for Assou, my DL. Fed up with these pricks, I tell them $330,000,000. The politely withdraw their offer.

3) I loan out some youngsters, and reject a few loan offers for a backup on my squad.

4) I discover I have some players OUT on loan. One seems pretty good as a transfer offer came in. I can't get a report card on him and I can't figure out how to recall him to my squad so I can take a better look at him. Oh well.

Well, besides that, not much else going on. I see my first match will be on the road at Arsenal. That can't be good!

Last edited by Marmel : 07-19-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
law90026
College Benchwarmer

A WB is kind of a hybrid fullback / midfielder. If you look at the positions on the tactics screen, the wingback can occupy the space between the fullback and the midfielder position (hopefully that makes sense). Not many tactics use wingbacks any longer though.

Central midfielders, as you have noticed, can fall into 3 different categories. The normal CM is basically your guy who plays in central midfield, running around and passing the ball. The attacking midfielder can often (but not always) play in the central midfield position and they tend to be offensive players with poorer defensive stats. They can also play just behind the strikers. The defensive midfielder is the opposite, i.e. better defense but poorer offense (though they can actually sit back and spray offensive passes in the right tactic).

There is a transfer window so if you choose not to buy any players, you will have to put up with your squad until the window opens again.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I advance up to my first real match, against Arsenal. Still not much happening, though I wish I could figure out how to get some of my loaned out players back to me. A couple of them seem pretty useful.

I loan out a couple other youngsters with some potential.

Basically, I'm just trying not to mess things up too much yet, and see how ym team performs on the field for a month or two before I go making changes.

Also, I'll get into match reports, but I want to try and do a dynasty report where I just talk about my thoughts on the team and the game universe as I advance. We'll see how that works out.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
A WB is kind of a hybrid fullback / midfielder. If you look at the positions on the tactics screen, the wingback can occupy the space between the fullback and the midfielder position (hopefully that makes sense). Not many tactics use wingbacks any longer though.

Central midfielders, as you have noticed, can fall into 3 different categories. The normal CM is basically your guy who plays in central midfield, running around and passing the ball. The attacking midfielder can often (but not always) play in the central midfield position and they tend to be offensive players with poorer defensive stats. They can also play just behind the strikers. The defensive midfielder is the opposite, i.e. better defense but poorer offense (though they can actually sit back and spray offensive passes in the right tactic).

There is a transfer window so if you choose not to buy any players, you will have to put up with your squad until the window opens again.

That actually made sense, and was helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Re the loaned out players: Some players cannot be recalled because a fee has been paid for the loan. If this happened before you took over the club, that's likely why you can't find an option.

If I remember right, what you need to do is to right click on the player's name, go to "Transfer and Contracts" and there should be an option to "Recall" (or something like that).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 15, 2009

Tottenham at Arsenal

I was hoping my debut match would be at home, and maybe a bit easier, but no such luck. I am thrown right into the fire for my opening match.

As I put together my lineup, I notice a few things that are quite concerning. I outlined what I thought was going to be my starting 11 earlier when I initially reviewed my squad. Well, two of my projected starts on the defensive line are dealing with injuries and are out for this match.

Even more disturbing is the fact that my star striker, Jermain Defoe took a sudden drop from 3.5 stars to 2.5 stars in a months time. I have to scramble to put together a new lineup and here is what we go with for the first match (with star ratings)

GK Gomes (3.5) – Oh sweet, he dropped a half a star as well. WTF is going on??
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
DC Bassong (3)
DC King (3.5)
DR Kaboul (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyluchenko (3)
ST Crouch (3)

We will come out in our 4-4-2 with a defensive mindset and hope for at least a draw, maybe even steal something here even though we are 3-1 dogs.

14 min: Arsenal puts the pressure on us early and often, finally getting the first strike of the match. Nicholas Bendtner drills one from just outside the big box. 0-1

32 min: We continue to be under the gun, but Gomes bails us out with a few pretty nice saves. Up until this point we haven't even made a serious threat on their goal. We finally get something going....I don't know exactly what, but a couple of headers in front of the goal, Arsenal looked all confused and then I see the ball bounce off one of their heads and into the goal! 1-1 on a total fluke, but I'll take it!

I find it funny that my guys are celebrating their asses off and I tell them to calm the fuck down, we didn't even score that one.

40 min: Our showboating pissed Arsenal off and they go back on a serious attack. Lucky for us they kick a few wide. Then a throw in from the side and about 8 people go up for the header and Assou Ekotto gets called for a penalty. I scream at the refs, I scream at the players, I scream at my monitor. Of course Bendtner drills it for his second goal. 1-2.

62 min: I need to get a goal back so I switch to an attacking mindset in the second half. MY guy gets bulldozed in the box and I know that has to be a penalty. Instead Arsenal punts the ball out for a throw in and no penalty called. I am furious now.

76 min: I bring in a couple sets of fresh legs. Dafoe gets a chance at Striker and Niko Kranjar comes in at MC.

78 min: A golden opportunity. One of the few threats we have....a big shot deflects off the Keeper right onto the foot of one of my guys...not even sure who. It is just him and the keeper in the little box right in front of the goal. My guy kicks it right into the keeper's chest. Heartbreaking.

84 min: I switch my tactics to Overload and try to get that equalizer.

93 min: We work it around for one last chance it seems. We get a clean shot from inside the box and it bounces off the crossbar and that is all she wrote.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 18, 2009

Burnley at Tottenham

We don't get much time to stew over the loss to our rivals from Arsenal. 3 days later we are back on the pitch to face Burnley. We make a few changes to get some fresher legs on the pitch and give Dafoe a try as a starter.

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
*DC Kaboul (3)
DC King (3.5)
*DR Walker (2)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
*MR Bentley (3)
*ST Dafoe (2.5)
ST Crouch (3)

We are favored at home 4-7. We'll come out with a controlling strategy to start things up. I tell my keeper I expect a performance and let everyone else know they can win this game!

15 min: We get some early pressure, but cannot take advantage of a few corner kicks. Finally, Crouch gets the ball and makes a few nifty move and then sends it into the net for a 1-0 lead!

45 min: Both teams get just one or two decent chances, but cannot convert. In injury time, Dafoe, who I originally projected as a big star, coughs up the ball. He hustles back to steal it back then coughs it up AGAIN, leading to an easy strike by Burnley. 1-1

I seriously consider benching him for the second half, but he out up a 6.9 rating in the first half, which is better than most of the team, so I leave him in for the time being. I also switch to an attacking strategy.

48 min: We look really confused out there and I ask myself outloud, literally, what are they doing? As I say that, Modric breaks the goal, the pass from Palacios is picture perfect and there it is, 2-1.

Oh, but it is called back due to offsides! You have to be kidding me!?

58 min: Dafoe looks injured so I bring Pavly in for him.

90 min: My guys start sucking wind and despite shutting Burnley down in the second half, every chance we get goes flying over the bar by 10 feet. Pathetic (and a reason why I find this game very random, like they put so much emphasis on media interaction but forgot to work on the game engine. Not that I know a thing about soccer, but how could these world class guys send every shot flying into the stands?)

1-1 draw. At least I get my first point of the year.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I get back to my office only to find out that my very best player, Modric, is grumbling about being on this team and wants out. Great, just what I needed.

He says he wants to win trophys. I announce that he is not going anywhere. Behind closed doors I offer him the captaincy and a fat renegotiated contract.

While that is being worked on, I accept a transfer offer of 1.5 million for a backup to a backup Striker.

A day later Modric tells the press that that he is not backing down. Well guess what Modric? You are under contract until 2014. I reject his request to be transfer listed.

While dealing with this little punk, I realize we have a match coming up tomorrow on the road against the Wolves. I meet with my assistants and we hammer out a game plan. We really need to grab those 3 points and settle things down here at the club.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 22, 2009

Tottenham at Wolves

We shuffle the defense a bit, hopefully getting stronger there. Lennon gets a start in midfield and Pavyl back in for the embattled Dafoe.

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
DC King (3.5)
*DC Bassong (3)
*DR Corluca (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
*MR Lennon (2.5)
*ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

We are a slight favorite at 5-4. I go with a control strategy to kick things off.

5 min: Just a beautiful give and go from Pavyl to Crouch, and when Crouch has an open look, he makes good more often than not. This time was no exception. He buries it to give us the very early 1-0 lead.

9 min: I don't know if soccer uses plays like American sports, but Pavyl and Crouch ran the same drill. This time Crouch didn't have the best look and was just outside of the box when he sent it wide. Would have been a great start.

40min: The Wolves have one corner and a throw in but we clear the ball out pretty easily. On the other hand, we have had some chances. Just now we get a corner and land it at point blank range. Their keeper makes an amazing save to keep the game at 1-0.

67 min: Not much action in the second half, which is fine by me if we can hold the lead. King picks up an injury and I bring DC Kaboul in for him.

72 min: I bring in a couple fresh players for the stretch run here. DMC Jenas for Huddlestone and DR Walker for Corluca.

73 min: Well, I guess I subbed too soon. Just after my guys come in, the Wolves get a breakaway and beat Gomes. 1-1. There go my three points. Now I am just hoping to hang onto 1 point.

79 min: We get a corner kick, header....another header....the ref calls a penalty! And of course it is Modric. As he lines up for the penalty shot, I pray that our off the field issues are left off the field and he makes good here. He looks left, goes right and scores! 2-1 Tottenham.

82 min: I go defensive here.

93 min: The give it one last run, but Gomes just has to make one easy save and there it is, 3 points for Tottenham and my first ever victory!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The day after the match I confirm the deal to send Striker Jonathan Obika to Stoke for $1.5 million. I don't think he would ever see the pitch for me, so I figured why not.

Modric snubs my lucrative reworking of his contract. No big deal. I fully plan on keeping him here until his contract run out in 2014.

After that nonsense, I settle in and try to work up a game plan for the Cup competition coming up in a few days. Meanwhile my phone rings and some Olympique team wants to buy my DL Assou. I issue a hands off warning. These other clubs are persistant.

I also request some scouting reports on a couple transfer listed strikers. Hopefully something nice comes back and I could purchase a player to pair up with Crouch.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 25, 2009

Tottenham at Accrington – FA Cup 2nd Round

Accrington is a L2 team, so this should just be academic, even with myself in charge.

We send out this lineup (as always, *'s indicate a change from last game)

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
*DC Kaboul (3)
DC Bassong (3)
*DR Walker (2)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

Basically, just resting a couple of players on defense who are a tiny bit worn down.

We are 1-6 favorites today, and we will have an attacking strategy to try and end this game early.

6 min: We come out on the attack, firing shots constantly. DR Walker, kicks a nice cross and Crouch heads it into the goal. It played out perfectly and you just saw it coming the whole way. 1-0

16 min: We intercept a pass deep in their territory and Lennon, my other sub 3* rated player kicks another nice cross, again to Crouch, who heads it in for the 2-0 lead.

45 min: The 2-0 lead holds until halftime. Accrington have 2 shots, none on target. We have 12, 5 being on target. Complete domination, but it doesn't really tell us much about our squad considering the competition.

62 min: I feel this game is easily in hand, so I try to save the stamina of a few important starters. Kranjcar comes in for Modric. Dafoe in for Crouch.

81 min: On a corner kick, Accrington gets called for a penalty in the box. Pavyl steps up for the penalty kick. No doubt about it. 3-0. At this point I make one more sub, Jenas for Huddlestone. I also dial it back and go to a control strategy.

FT: A nice, easy 3-0 win for Tottenham. I'll take it. I'll take any win in this early stage of my career.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So far my search for another good striker to pair up with Crouch has proven unsuccessful. All of the guys I recently scouted have graded out poorly. The search goes on though.

Meanwhile, the FA Cup Third Round draw is going on. We get a home match against another Premier League team: Portsmouth. I don't know anything about them at this point.

We have a match coming up in league play, at home, against Stoke. The standings don't tell much this early in the season, but for the record, we sit in 8th place and Stoke in 3rd.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

August 29, 2009

Stoke at Tottenham

So, we have a home game against a team that is pretty good early on, so I want to send out the best lineup I can and see how we stack up so far. We go with:

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
*DC King (3.5)
DC Bassong (3)
DR Kaboul (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

Kaboul moves over to DR and King comes in to replace Walker. Outside of DC Woodgate and AMR Bentley, who are both injured, this, I think is our best lineup. Now, we can stick Kranjcar in there at MC for Huddlestone, and while it would be a slight improvement, Kranjcar's versatility makes him a great sub.

For the record, writing this stuff up has helped me identify with my players after just a handful of games, more than I have in any of the 'practice' careers I have toyed around with.

We are 4-6 favorites today. I'll start with a control strategy. I'm always weary of being counter-attacked. I tell the team to win one for the fans and send them out onto the pitch.

17 min: The first real action happens around the 13th minute when one of their players are lying in a crumpled heap thanks to Bassong's challenge. We get a corner out of the the play and seem to dictate the game from that point until now, when Pavly stands in the corner of the box, turns and drills an impossible looking shot off the far post and right into the net! GOAL! 1-0

25 min: We have a free kick from inside that little semi-circle. I missed who kicked it, but it goes flying over the bar. That drives me insane.

31 min: Somebody lofts a kick into the box. Pavly controls it, passes it off to Modric and he puts it away to give us a wonderful 2-0 lead! Modric runs around the pitch with his arms spread like he is a jet airplane. I smile to myself and think, “Modric is coming around...”

44 min: I see my two goal lead getting cut in half when Stoke has a wide open shot from inside the penalty spot. Gomes just guess right and makes a diving stop! Amazing. I don't plan on any changes at the half. I just tell the team that I am pleased and send them back out.

48 min: The first action of the second half see us with a corner kick. Now, on almost every corner, my guy sends it in and they head it out. Well, this time, it worked like I always feel these things should work. Bassong gets his head on the corner and their keeper can only watch. 3-0 Tottenham! Hell yes!

71 min: Time for some subs. Kranjcar in for Huddlestone. Defoe in for Pavly.

90 min: Stoke never puts up much of a scoring threat and I am very pleased with the 3-0 victory today at White Hart Lane!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We have more than a week off before our next match, and although the transfer deadline has passed, I am still on a hunt for a striker, and I finally find one. His name is Adriano and he grades out to be even better than Crouch. It takes my entire transfer budget and some serious haggling, but his club, Flamengo agrees to sell him! Woohoo!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #20
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

September 13, 2009

Tottenham (8th) at Wigan (19th)

Television Match.

We've won 3 in a row, 2 in the Premier League. Now we go back on the road against what seems like a weaker team. My starting 11 is starting get settled. Here is today's lineup:

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
DC King (3.5)
DC Bassong (3)
DR Kaboul (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (4)
MC Huddlestone (3)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

Same as last outing. DC Jon Woodgate is just about back from injury and will eventually take over for Bassong on the back line. He will be a sub today and I'll try to get him some action.

We are favorites, 6-4. I'll go with a control strategy to begin the game.

8 min: Bassong is denied a golden opportunity from point blank range. We can't do anything with the ensuing corner.

12 min: Bassong in a big collision and has to come out. The long awaited return of Woodgate begins about 45 minutes earlier than i hoped for.

15 min: Wigan on the attack. A jump ball, but Gomes cannot get to it and Wigan strikes first. 0-1.

31 min: Prior to now, we seemed to be rushing things when we got into their zone. But this time, Huddlestone makes a picture perfect pass to Modric who is streaking in on the left side. Modric makes good on the chance and we equalize. I am starting to love this man. 1-1.

HT: I don't make any chances at the half. I usually re-evaluate again around 60 minutes, or if a goal is scored.

61 min: I sub in Defoe for Pavly and switch to an attacking strategy.

78 min: Wigan has a free kick from just outside the box. It rebounds off the wall back to them. Another kick, another rebound off the wall that they get. Third time is a charm as they put that one away. 1-2. I immediately switch to an overload strategy. I also bring in Kranjcar for Palacios.

FT: Wigan play it defensively and we continue to blaze shots over the bar. That pisses me off to no end. At least make the keeper move his feet for crying out loud.

We lose, and it really wasn't a good effort. I tell the team it was disappointing.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I get back home and head to my office. At least there is some good news waiting for me. Adriano's work permit went through and the deal is done. He will join our squad on January 1, 2010. I blew my entire transfer budget on one guy. I have no idea if that was smart, or really dumb. He is only 27 years old so he should have some great years ahead of him and it will give us a lethal 1-2 punch with him and Crouch.

The way I see it, we are not going to win anything this year, but maybe one full season under my belt will give me enough experience to really start putting things together next season. I'll try for a top 10 finish this year, or at least top half and then improve one piece at a time.

No word on what the fans think about this signing yet.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

September 20, 2009

Everton (2nd) at Tottenham (11th)

This is going to be a serious challenge, even at home. Just as Woodgate is rounding into form, Bassong is out long term. We also seem to have picked up various minor nicks and bruises.

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
DC King (3.5)
DC Kaboul (3)
*DR Carluka (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
*MC Kranjcar (3.5)
MC Palacios (3.5)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

Just a couple of changes to account for injuries.

We are dogs in this match, lilsted at 13-8. Hey look, Tim Howard is in goal for Everton! I know him.
We'll come out defensive and try to make this an ugly game.

18 min: Everton takes a shot from wayyy out. The ball was smoking it was moving so fast. Unfortunately it deflects off of Modric and into the goal. 0-1 Cheese.

21 min: Everton celebrate an own goal like a bunch of assholes. That's OK, it just fires our guys up. We take the kickoff and work it around for a good three minutes. Crouch makes a nice moves and rips on. Their keeper deflects it right back to Crouch. He rips it again and gets it in the net! 1-1

HT: No more action in the first half. Pavly is having a bad game so I sub Defoe in for him. Still keeping with a defensive strategy.

62 in: Gomez is standing on his head and making saves this half. Finally they get to him though with an easy shot from inside the box. 1-2

74 min: I switch to an attacking strategy.

FT: We get a few more decent chances the rest of the way, put cannot manage the tying goal. Losing at home sucks.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
For the record, writing this stuff up has helped me identify with my players after just a handful of games, more than I have in any of the 'practice' careers I have toyed around with.

Yep, that's my favorite part about doing the dynasty I'm doing as well. I could tell you my lineup and most everyone's strengths without having the game open at this point.

Quote:
I'll start with a control strategy. I'm always weary of being counter-attacked. I tell the team to win one for the fans and send them out onto the pitch.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in here, this strategy was confusing to me until I downloaded/read the huge tactical theorem PDF's. My understanding of control is that its designed to break down a strong/technical/turtling defense. The idea is to frustrate the defense by controlling possession until they break down and come out to try to steal the ball away and then you attack.

I am not sure if that strat will help prevent counter attacks, unless there's more to it than I realize.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

September 23, 2009

English League Cup – Third Round

Portsmouth (PRM) at Tottenham (PRM)

Another Cup match. There seems to be a few different ones, and my guess is that this is the most prestigious?

With a pretty short turn around time, I do make a minor change:

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3.5)
DC King (3.5)
DC Kaboul (3.5)
*DR Walker (2)
ML Modric (4.5)
*MC Jenas (2)
MC Palacios (3.5)
MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Pavyl (3)
ST Crouch (3.5)

I bring in a couple weaker players, but Walker has played very well in his limited time and I don't think Jenas will kill us. I have options to replace him if things do not go our way.

We are slightly favored in a pick 'em situation. I start out controlling strategy.

23 min: We win a corner kick and Pavly goes up big time for it. The header goes by their keep and two other guys standing in goal! Seriously, their keeper is wearing a full body outfit in an off-shade of pink. There is no way we don't win today. 1-0

39 min: I turn for a drink of water and the screen is flashing. Goal for Portsmouth. Shit! But wait, we catch a break and they were offsides!

47 min: We have a corner and I swear the ball is rolling in the goal, but their pink colored keeper falls on it, literally on the goal line. We still have the 1-0 lead at the half. We are playing alright, so no changes yet.

74 min: My guys are getting tired, but my fear is, if I start subbing, I just know they will tie it, then I have to go extra time with less subs. I'm superstitious about this game and feel like making chances never helps. I stay as is for a bit longer...

85 min: Still no subs, but I go defensive for the last few minutes.

88 min: I knew it. Fast break Portsmouth. Goal. I swear this game is hard programmed to screw me. 1-1.

FT: Now I have to sub. My guys are slumping. They are tired, and they are pissed off.
Corluka in for Kaboul.
Bentley in for Lennon
Kranjcar in for Jenas.

We head to extra time.

105 min: We have the only legit chance in the first half of extra time, but their keeper makes a brilliant save. Both teams are playing very defensive. At this point, I think back to my short FM history and realize I am probably 0 for 5 in Pks, so I throw it all out there and go attack for the final 15 minutes.

120 min: They had the better opportunities, but Gomes refused to let anything through.

We go to Penalty Kicks. I'll send up the following five, in this order (and their PK rating)

Modric 15
Pavly 17
Kranjcar 15
Bentley 14
Crouch 12

I am worried about the Crouch pick. There is a little used back who is a 14, but Crouch is a proven commodity, so I stick with him.

Portsmouth: Boateng steps up, goes right, and so does Gomes! Gomes dives and saves!
Spurs: Modric goes left, so does the keeper. It hits either the keeper or the post and goes in!
1-0

Portsmouth: Vanden Bore goes right, Gomez left. Goal.
Spurs: Pavly goes right. The keeper hesitates. Goal.
2-1

Portsmouth: Mokoena just drills on straight in. Goal.
Spurs: Kranjcar goes left, another hesitation by the keeper! Goal.
3-2

Portsmouth: Kanu goes right, Gomez barely moves. Goal.
Spurs: Bentley goes upper right corner. Dangerous. I thought the keeper guessed right, but it gets in. Goal.
4-3

Portsmouth: Utaka goes straight up the middle, it bounces off of Gomez! We are through to the next round!!!!!! Tottenham fans rush the field! Wait, do they do that? I doubt it.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yep, that's my favorite part about doing the dynasty I'm doing as well. I could tell you my lineup and most everyone's strengths without having the game open at this point.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in here, this strategy was confusing to me until I downloaded/read the huge tactical theorem PDF's. My understanding of control is that its designed to break down a strong/technical/turtling defense. The idea is to frustrate the defense by controlling possession until they break down and come out to try to steal the ball away and then you attack.

I am not sure if that strat will help prevent counter attacks, unless there's more to it than I realize.

Interesting. There is a little description that pops up when you select. I know there are two strategies that start with a C. I thought one was what you described and the other (control, I thought) was if you were superior, but were weary about the counter attack.

I'll double check during my next match.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #26
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Interesting. There is a little description that pops up when you select. I know there are two strategies that start with a C. I thought one was what you described and the other (control, I thought) was if you were superior, but were weary about the counter attack.

I'll double check during my next match.

OK, so here is what the in game says, summarized:

Contain: Frustrate opponent, reduce space, slow things down, keep the ball, waste time.

Control: best employed for matches in which you believe you are the stronger team but are wary of your opponents counter attack. move the ball and patiently probe the final third.

Take it for what it is worth.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Is Jermaine Beckford from Leeds available? He might be a good pairing with Crouch if you can tear him away.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #28
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I spend entirely too much time partying it up after that last win, that I oversleep and miss the English League Cup 4th round draw. My assistant, Kevin Bond, wakes me up at my desk and announces that we get another home game and we drew Stoke!

This is exciting because we already beat Stoke 3-0 this year.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #29
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

September 27, 2009

Aston Villa (11th) at Tottenham (14th)

So, i just realized that there are only 20 teams in the Premier League, so 14th place is pretty bad. I really need to get into the top 10 and this game turns out to be extremely important to reach that goal.

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3.5)
DC King (3.5)
DC Kaboul (3.5)
*DR Corluka (3)
ML Kranjcar (3.5)
MC Jenas (2)
MC Palacios (3.5)
MR Modric (4.5)
*ST Defoe (2.5)
ST Crouch (3.5)

I want to integrate Woodgate back into the lineup, but it says he is severely lacking match fitness. Kaboul and King are his equals and this is an important game, so I guess I just try to get him some late minutes. The benefit of having Woodgate, is that I can move Kaboul to the right side. Corluka should be OK though.

Huddlestone is out for a while so I have to shuffle the midfield a tiny bit while I give the speedy Lennon a break today.

Pavly is a bit tired so Defoe gets the start, but he is on a short leash.

We are favored 5-4. I stick with the control strategy, although Radii has me a bit spooked about it now! I won't hesitate to go attack.

5 min: Nightmare scenario. Crouch goes down and doesn't get back up. This was no flop. He is gone. I'm gonna give seldom used Eidur Gudjohnson a chance. He is a loaner from AS Monaco FC.

15 min: Aston has really been in control, but they get a bit careless on the attack. Modric makes a steal and races up the pitch. He spots Defoe streaking towards the goal. It is a perfect feed and a perfect finish! Way to make good on getting the start Defoe! 1-0

18: We seem to be counter attacking a lot and trying to feed Defoe. This time Jenas is rushing up field, I figure he will try to feed it. Instead he rips one from a good 35 yards out. Probably the keeper didn't even expect it and....GOALLLL! 2-0

22 min: Another counter opportunity and this time Defoe is way ahead of the pack. I figure he has to be offsides. Even me, who doesn't fully understand the rule, thought he was cherry picking. No flag from the ref though and we are now up 3-0. How sweet it is!!!

31 min: Same old, same old. Aston Villa work the ball around near our goal. One bad pass or one interception and we are racing the other way, trying to feed Defoe. My first hat-trick! This is the Defoe I thought I was getting on my initial roster review. He is brilliant today! 4-0

HT: Best half of play on the year. It is a good opportunity to get a few backups in.
Woodgate in for Kaboul
Walker in for King

We also go defensive for the 2nd half.

49 min: This half we work the ball around. No more fast break. Same results though. Modric weaves his way through traffic. The keeper takes a horrible angle and it is an easy goal. 5-0

77 min: Aston is on an all out assault in the second half now, and Gomez has made great save after great save. Eventually Aston gets on through. 5-1

and just when I am bummed about no shutout, the ref raises the flag. Offsides. No goal. 5-0

90 min: Game over. What a dominating performance. I tell the team, “Sensational!”

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #30
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Is Jermaine Beckford from Leeds available? He might be a good pairing with Crouch if you can tear him away.

He is not transfer listed, but I realize that doesn't mean anything and i could still go after him. Too bad I spent all of my transfer funds.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #31
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

He is also rated as 1 star by my assistant on the report card and he says to only sign him as a last resort.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #32
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

After the game, it is reported that Crouch will miss about a month. Defoe's performance today makes me not quite as nervous about this situation. He has not done much up until today, but I hope he turned a corner.

The win moves us up to 10th place in the Premier League.

We have about a week off until we have another game. We travel to last place Blackburn. We have struggled on the road, but I will try to figure things out during our time off.

In other news, disgruntled Midfielder, Luka Modric has won Premier League player of the month. Defoe, thanks to his one fine performance was 3rd place for this award.

The latest financial report has us losing $6.6 million last month, this after previous months seeing the team take huge losses. How is that possible?

As our next match is quickly approaching, I take a look at the league table. Interesting, after that 5-0 win, we are tops in the league in goal difference with a +6. Our next opponent, Blackburn is dead last at -9.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

Huh, interesting. I went back and found what I was reading from:

Quote:
Control looks to attack a little more, but does so by holding onto the ball and drawing the frustrated opposition out of their own half: rather useful against sides who “park the bus”, since you can control possession and force them to press further up the pitch, leaving gaps which you can then exploit.

Contain looks to flood your defensive area with bodies to keep the ball away from your goal, but does not care if the team don’t attack: safety first is the key.

I'm sure a combination of all are correct. I know contain is recommended to be used only in limited fashion, for example to hold on to a lead in the final 10 minutes against a better team, but that trying to do it all game will lead to a lot of problems.

The link from the FM10 thread if you're interested in some riveting reading is:

TacticalTheorems10.zip

Last edited by Radii : 07-24-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #34
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

October 3, 2009

Tottenham (10th) at Blackburn (20th)

Road games like this are must wins if we are going to end up achieving a respectable league position. I go with the following lineup:

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3.5)
DC King (3.5)
DC Kaboul (3.5)
DR Corluka (3)
ML Kranjcar (3.5)
MC Jenas (2)
MC Palacios (3.5)
MR Modric (4.5)
ST Defoe (2.5)
*ST Pavly (3.5)

The only change is Pavly in for the injured Crouch. Defoe needs to step up like he did in the last game over the next few weeks. We don't have any depth at striker until January 1.

We are 4-6 favorites and I decide to come out with an attacking mentality.

25 min: A real lack of action so far in this game. Jenas gets a pretty good chance from the edge of the box, but puts it inches wide.

28 min: Defoe puts a screaming shot on goal, but their keeper makes a nice save.

35 min: Pavly gets up for a corner kick and gets his head on it, but again, we are just wide on the shot.

HT: We have had all the good chances, but cannot finish today. This just means that Blackburn will have one good chance, score and win 1-0. No changes at the half. I just tell my guys that they can definitely win this game!

75 min: Not too many chances for either team. King gets hurt a bit so I bring in Walker for him. I move Modric back to ML and bring in Lennon at MR for some speed.

FT: We end up with 3 shots on goal. Blackburn with no shots at all on target. Very disappointing that we could not score a single goal on the road against them.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So, the one point we got from the last match moved us up to 8th place, for now. We have played one more game than a couple of teams just below us though.

We have 2 weeks off before we travel to ManU.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #36
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

October 17, 2009

TV Match

Tottenham (9th) at Manchester United (3rd)

Even I know that ManU is the team to beat every year in the Premier League. We have been pretty bad on the road, so I think a draw would be about the best I can hope for today. Still, I want my guys to go out there and compete and see how they measure up.

GK Gomes (3.5)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3.5)
*DC Bassong (3)
DC King (3.5)
DR Kaboul (3.5)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Jenas (2)
MC Palacios (3.5)
*MR Bentley (3)
ST Defoe (2.5)
ST Pavly (3.5)

Bassong is health, so we bring him back in, which also gives us some better depth on the bench.. I still can't figure out how to get Woodgate in game shape, so I will try to get him in this game.

Bentley in, Kranjcar on the bench for versatility later in the game.

We are huge dogs at 13-2, so I go defensive.

13 min: ManU gets the first great chance. They beat our defense, but the ball bounces off the far post. We dodge a bullet there.

17 min: ManU has dominated possession, but we make a steal and Pavly finds DeFoe way up field. He gets a good shot off, but hit hits the side netting.

18 min: On the ensuing goal kick, Ronney gets the ball at the top of the box and drills one past Gomes. So there we go, 0-1.

28 min: We start to get in the game a bit. A couple corners and some possession. Defoe has a long chance and it looks decent, but again he hits the side netting.

HT: We are only down 0-1, so this is not over yet. I bring in Lennon for Bentley. I also being in Kranjcar for Jenas, who is not having a good game.

46 min: Pavly tries to go 1 on 4. He dekes a few defenders and finds Defoe, but his shot is wide.

58 min: After Defoe wastes another good chance, I sub Gudjohnsen in for him.

65 min: We get a lucky deflection and Modric sees the ball come right to him in the box. He puts it over the far corner though.

72 min: I switch up to an attacking strategy.

FT: The rest of the match flies by and we don't even get another shot on goal. We lose 1-0, which on one hand is not horrible. On the other hand, we haven't scored a goal in 2 games now.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #37
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We have 3 home matches in a row now, including the League Cup 4th round game.

Bad news: Pavly strained his neck in the last game and will miss about 2 weeks. We are dangerously thin now.

But bad news is followed by good news, as it seems Crouch is pretty much ready to come back.

I realize I didn't get Woodgate into the last match. Damn, that guy is going to get seriously pissed off soon.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #38
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

October 25, 209

Fulham (18th) at Tottenham (13th)

Not much to say here, other than 3 home games and I expect 3 victories.

GK Gomes (4) – He is up to 4 stars now
DL Assou-Ekotto (3) – Down to 3 stars, not good
DC Kaboul (3.5)
*DC Woodgate (3.5)
*DR Corluka (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Jenas (2)
MC Palacios (3.5)
*MR Lennon (2.5)
ST Defoe (2.5)
*ST Crouch (3.5)

I decide just to put Woodgate in there and let him work his way back in. King dropped a half a star, so I leave Kaboul in. Lennon is pretty much interchangable with Bentley. Bentley is half a star better, but Lennon is 0.50 better in average rating.

Crouch returns, Pavly injured.

We are 5-4 favorites. I decide to come out attacking and try to build an early lead.

29 min: Other than a few early chances, both teams just pass the ball around. Finally, Modric intercept s a pass and we move forward quickly. Defoe gets the ball, shakes his man and finishes! GOAL! 1-0

44 min: Fulham with a corner that gets bounced out towards midfield. They pick it up and fire off a great shot. Gomes makes a really incredible diving stop.

HT: That was pretty much all the first half action. I can't complain. Woodgate and Crouch are a bit tired, both coming off of injuries, so I will probably sub them soon.

48 min: Modric with a great chance from in the box, but he cannot finish. The rebound to Crouch, but he cannot get a clean shot off.

50 min: Jenas with a great interception, then sets up Defoe. The shot hit the crossbar, bounces on the ground in front of the goal and then back up. Their keeper grabs it. A couple of wasted opportunities.

58 min: Lennon finds himself alone with the keeper. He probably shoots too early, but it was still a good one. The keeper has to jump high and stretch to get his hands on it. One of the finest saves I have ever seen.

65 min: A nice centering pass is headed by Crouch, but it is over the net. Time for a couple of subs. Gudjohnsen in for Crouch. King in for Woodgate.

80 min: Corner kick. Kaboul gets his head on it and it bounces off the pitch and off the post and in! That should do it! 2-0

86 min: Fulham with a break away but Gomez makes a terrific save to keep the heat off of us.

88 min: Defoe rips one from the semi-circle and it is good! Great to see him find the net again. 3-0
Kaboul looks hurt on the play. Bassong in for him.

FT: A great win to start our 3 game home stand. I just want everyone to rest up for the Cup game coming up next.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Our coach tells me Kaboul will be out for 2-3 weeks following his injury. He was MotM in his last game.

The victory moved us up to 8th place in the Premier League.

Kaboul and Defoe were named on the League team of the week.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #40
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Just be a little careful relying on your assistant manager's ratings.

You have to make sure that his "Judging Player Ability" and "Judging Player Potential" stats are decent before you trust it fully (same for your scouts).
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #41
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

October 28, 2009

League Cup 4th Round

Stoke at Tottenham

Here is our lineup:

GK Gomes (4)
DL Assou-Ekotto (3)
*DC Bassong (3)
*DC King (3)
DR Corluka (3)
ML Modric (4.5)
MC Palacios (3.5)
*MC Kranjcar (3.5)
*MR Bentley (3)
ST Defoe (2.5)
ST Crouch (3.5)

We are favored, 4-5. I'll come out attacking once again.

1 min: We take the opening kickoff and work it around and around. Modric finally ends up with it in the left corner of the box and strikes. GOOOOAL!!!!!! An early 1-0 lead.

20 min: Crouch goes off the crossbar, but nobody can get to the rebound.

25 min: Stoke with a free kick just outside the box, but it goes way wide and too high.

31 min: Crouch feeds Bentley on the right side of the box. He advances a few steps and somehow sneaks it in on the right side of the keeper! 2-0

40 min: Crouch with two great moves to shake two defenders, but his shot hits the right post and rolls across the goal line before Stoke put it out for a corner.

41: The corner kick gets headed out but we control it. A shot from the right by Bentley deflects off a defender, right onto the foot of Defoe. He knows what to do with it and scores easily! 3-0

HT: Everything looks great. I use this opportunity to get Woodgate in for the second half. King comes out. Gudjohnsen in for Crouch, just to give him some extra rest. We switch to a control strategy.

62 min: Corner kick, but Bassong puts it over.

63 min: Off the ensuing goal kick, Stoke go on the attack. Their striker makes a nice move and just beats Gomes. 3-1. I'm not worried, but I go defensive anyways.

66 min: Stoke have put it into another gear. Gomes has to make a fingertip save to keep the game at 3-1. A bit worried now.

67 min: Another fingertip save by Gomes to foce another corner kick on the opposite side this time.

76 min: We survive Stoke's pressure and get a free kick from just outside of the box. The keeper leaps and grabs the ball. I think that would have went in and not over.

85 min: Palacios feeds Defoe dead center in the box. He jukes right, curls around the defender left and beats the keeper. That is all she wrote!! 4-1

FT: We are through to the next round. Hoping for a great draw.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

law, thanks for the great advice.
My assistant, Kevin Bond, does not seem to grade out that good....Judging Ability: 7. Judging Potential: 8

If I get rid of him and find somebody better, is that going to really disrupt team chemistry????

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Wigan knocked out ManU in the Cup competition on penalty kicks.

We only have a few days off before we get back at it against Sunderland.

The Quarter Final League Cup draw begins. 6 teams down and no Tottenham yet. Finally our name gets called as the home team. I eagerly await the opponent.........Man City. Ouch.

So, I decide to fire my assistant and go after somebody who can judge my players much better. I mean, I go by that almost exclusively, so I should get somebody I can really trust.

As I am interviewing (on the down low) for a new assistant coach. The board informs me they will provide me with an extra 1.2 million in transfer funds. Awesome!

Huddlestone and Pavly are both back to full training, so we have a pretty complete roster right now.

I find somebody I like and offer a contract. He accepts, but the board disallows it, saying I don't need to assistant coaches. OK, guess I need to fire my man first. Kevin Bond here are our walking papers.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

November 2, 2009

TV Match

Sunderland (12th) at Tottenham (11th)

Here is our lineup:

GK Gomes
DL Assou-Ekotto
DC Bassong
DC King
DR Corluka
ML Modric
MC Palacios
MC Kranjcar
*MR Lennon
ST Defoe
ST Crouch

Just the one change. No assistant to help me with this match.

We are favored, 5-4 and will start out attacking once again.

6 min: Kranjcar with the first good attempt of the game, but he puts it just over the bar.

8 min: Sunderland with a corner. They cry for a penalty, but none given. 2 more corners and a free kick for them before we finally clear it.

23 min: Defoe to Modric and then a pass to the left side back to Modric. He sneaks it in the left corner of the goal from an impossible angle! 1-0

28 min: Modric intercepts a throw in and lobs it over the defense to a streaking Defoe. It is him and the keeper and Defoe waits for the last second, then fires, beating the keeper and giving us a nice 2-0 lead!

42 min: Crouch tries to lob one over the keeper from the top line of the box, but it bounces off the bar and goes over.

HT: Kranjcar got a little shaken up in the first half so I send in Jenas for him.

55 min: Their keeper makes 2 incredible saves in a row to keep the game just within reach for Sunderland.

59 min: Woodgate in for Bassong.

63 min: Lennon with a nice centering pass, but Crouch puts it over.

76 min: Crouch out, Gudjohnsen in. We go defensive for the final 15 minutes.

89 min: Defoe looked to cap off this 3 game home stand with a nice goal, but he was called offsides. I saw it the whole way.

FT: A very nice all around effort.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #45
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

First order of business is to welcome my new assistant coach, Ross MacLaren.

Our first order of business together is to review our squad, position by position.

Keepers.

Gomes has been excellent for us. MacLaren rates him as 3.5 stars. He has a 6.84 average rating.

Cudicini is rated 2 stars and is the backup. Jimmy Walker will never see the pitch for us.

Defense – Left

Bassong and Assou-Ekotto are my two best DL's. They are both rated 2.5 stars. Assou has started every game for me at DL so far.

Gareth Bale is only 2 stars, but has 3 star potential.

Defense – Right

Kaboul and Corluka are both rated 2.5 stars. Walker only 1.5 stars, but with 3 star potential. So far, my defense is not as good as I previously thought.

Defense – Center

King and Woodgate are my two best, both coming in at 3 stars. Besides, Bassong, Kaboul, Corluka and Walker, who can all play center as well, we have Michael Dawson at 2.5 stars.

Midfield – Left

Modric still rates at 4.5 stars and is my best player.

Midfield – Right

Lennon is 3 stars and Bentley is 2.5, which is the exact opposite as my last assistant had them.

Midfield – Center

Palacios and Kranjcar are both 3 stars. Huddlestone, who is finally just about back from injury is 2.5 with 3 potential.

Jenas is 2.5 stars.

Strikers

I was very interested to see how MacLaren rated these guys. It turns out Defoe is our best rated at 3 stars. Crouch and Pavly are both 2.5 stars. Gudjohnsen, my loaner is 1.5 stars.

This will all be very useful as I construct my lineup, but I really don't expect huge changes. Defoe is going to get plenty of time until Adriano joins us in January, then we will see who our top 2 strikers are.

Interestingly enough, I was out earlier today and playing some FMH on my iPhone. I play a BSP team there and I got a note that said Tottenham has signed Adriano. Weird coincidence.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #46
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

November 7, 2009

Tottenham (8th) at West Ham (10th)

We come out with the following lineup:

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 3
DC Woodgate 3
DC King 3
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

We are favored today at 6-4. I know we have not played well on the road, so I am going to try and go all out attacking to get started today.

5 min: Nothing fancy here. Lennon just zooms down the right sideline, centers the pass perfectly and Defoe does what he does. GOAL! 1-0

9 min: West Ham do the same thing we just did, but Gomes is able to make the safe and he holds the ball tight.

13 min: West Ham with another golden opportunity, but Gomes is able to deflect it back.

33 min: Both sides take a few long range kicks in the last 10 minutes, but none of them ever had a chance to go in.

36 min: Modric with the ball enters the box. He is tripped up from behind. Penalty kick! Easy goal for Modric! 2-0

39 min: We dial it back a bit and go with a standard strategy.

HT: Everything looks great. No changes.

59 min: King goes down with an injury. We bring in little used Michael Dawson.

63 min: Defoe turns it over and it leads to a run out for West Ham. With only the keeper to beat, Gomes makes a two handed deflection!

71 min: Corluka is in pain. I bring in Bassong to play DR, even though it is not a listed position for him.

78 min: The squad is tiring. I bring in Bentley for Lennon and go defensive.

FT: We withstand a few attacks by West Ham, but the defense breaks it up or Gomes comes up with another save and we take this one, 2-0.

Feels great to finally win on the road.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #47
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So, first things first...an injury check. DC King is going to be out for 4-5 weeks. That hurts.
Michael Dawson for just a week.

Our fans were jubilant after this victory. They filled the little green bar to the top, which I have never seen before. Yay for me.

It is tough to climb the ladder in the Premier League. This win just moved us up 1 spot, to 7th, with a game in hand over a couple of teams no less.

MacLaren has filed his report on Adriano for me. It is a full 4 stars. I can't wait to get him here.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #48
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

November 23, 2009

TV Match

Portsmouth (18th) at Tottenham (8th)

Considering the way we have been playing, a home game and the competition, this is probably as close to easy as it gets in the Premier League.

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 3
DC Woodgate 3
*DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Huddlestone 2.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

Two changes, both for injury situations. King is out, so Bassong will step in for him. Huddlestone is back from a lengthy injury and we throw him right back into it.

We are huge favorites, 1-6. We will attack and try to win big today for the home fans.

20 min: We've had some trouble getting into a groove today, at least on offense. We get a run out from an intercepted pass and Defoe ends up with the ball on the left side. As he rushes in, the keeper rushes out. Defoe gently lobs the ball over his head and it gets down quick enough to get in the net! 1-0

28 min: Lennon to Crouch on a cross, but the ball hits the side netting. As it unfolded I thought for sure it was going to be a goal.

41 min: Huddlestone with a midfield steal. He passes to Crouch, to Defoe in the center, then to Lennon on the right. Lennon hits the post! Could have been goal of the year.

HT: No need for any changes at this point.

52 min: We have 3 point blank shots off of rebounds in the space of 10 seconds and the keeper makes 3 tremendous saves. He is keeping them in this game single handidly.

64 min: Crouch to Defoe in a little two man game. Defoe puts it in the net but is called offsides. I don't know about that one.

70 min: Modric with a throw in from right near the corner. He throws it into a crowd in front of the net. Bassong gets his head on it and puts it in! 2-0

72 min: Kranjcar for Huddlestone and Kaboul for Corluka, just to rest our two most tired guys.

FT: Actually, a pretty boring match. It was only a matter of time before we scored that second goal, and Portsmouth never really threatened to do anything on offense.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #49
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

That win actually moves us up to 6th place in the PL. We have all played 13 games.
Here are the top 10:

Arsenal 31
ManU 26
Everton 25
Chelsea 24
Man City 24
Tottenham 23
Aston Villa 23
Liverpool 21
West Ham 20
Stoke 20

King is still the only injury we need to deal with, and he is only a couple/few weeks away from returning.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #50
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

November 28, 2009

Tottenham (6th) at Hull (16th)

Our lineup for today:

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 3
DC Woodgate 3
DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

The only change is to sit Huddlestone. He is still trying to get his fitness up to snuff, and he is a bit tired after the last match.

We are favored, 4-7......or is it easier to say Hull is a 4-1 underdog?

Either way, we are attacking out of the gate, because that has been working so well for us lately.

12 min: Hull gets a fast break with a long lob pass up ahead. A short cross and Gomes has zero chance to get to the ball. 0-1

15 min: Jenas coming down the middle pushes it forward to Defoe. Defoe shoots from just inside the box and it beat the keeper! An instant reply! 1-1

21 min: Same play as last time, but Jenas to Lennon this time around and he buries it, but is called offsides. No disagreement from me.

23 min: Kranjcar in for Palacios, who picked up an injury.

41 min: Lennon centers for Defoe. Defoe shoots and I am sure it is going in. Their keeper dives and gathers it up, literally on the goalline.

42 min: We intercept his throw in. Defoe rushes forward and shoots. It is deflected to Lennon, who cleans it up and puts it away. 2-1

HT: No changes necessary at this point.

60 min: Kranjcar centers to Lennon at the top of the box. Instead of shooting he flicks it a bit right to Crouch, who is wide open. Crouch delivers! 3-1

68 min: Fancy moves by their left winger, who then centers for Altidore. Hey I know that guy! Altidore scores to cut our lead to 3-2. I make some subs. Kaboul for Corluka and Bentley for Lennon.
We go to a controlling strategy.

72 min: Altidore allowed to run right up the middle and he gets off a clean shot to equalize. 3-3
I immediately go back to attacking.

74 min: Crouch takes it upon himself to beat two defenders, run towards the keeper and beat him to the right, as the keeper was going right. A sneaky good goal to get us back ahead 4-3. I go defensive.

84 min: Bentley races up the right sideline with ball. He centers to Crouch, slightly to the right of center, and he sneaks it in to the right of the keeper for another similar goal and his hat trick!!! 5-3

FT: Great game to come back from the early defecit. Then blow a 2 goal lead, but then still win by 2. All that plus a hat trick on the road. We are starting to really come together as a team, and just in time for our Q-Final match against Man City coming up.