Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #51
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We have moved up to 4th place in the PL. Man City, our Cup opponent in the next game is actually one point ahead of us and in 3rd place. I don't really know if we are 4th place good. We have built up some points against the bottom half of the league and failed in our few games against the cream of the crop.

In the meantime, the English FA Cup 3rd round draw is going on. With all these L1 and L2 teams in it, we draw PRM team Everton. At least we get a home game out of it.

I was also second place in 'Manager of the Month'

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #52
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 1, 2009

English League Cup, Quarter Final

Man City at Tottenham

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 3
DC Woodgate 3
*DC Kaboul 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
*MC Huddlestone 2.5
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

King is still hurt and Kabong will come off the bench, so Kaboul gets the start.
Palacios injured in the last game, so Jenas and Huddlestone will start.

We are actually favorites 5-4. Man City dogs at 7-4. Should be a real close match. We'll come out attacking. I tell the players to do this one for the home fans!

6 min: Just what I was afraid of...Man City pushes forward every opportunity. Their first shot on goal is nothing fancy, but it beats Gomes and we are down 0-1.

14 min: Defoe coming down the middle passes it off to Modric on the left side. Modric shoots, and scores! But the ref immediately calls him offsides. I think that was a horrible call.

21 min: Jenas finds Corluka flying in from the right. He feeds him. Corluka has a man right on his hip, but he gets a clean shot and beats the keeper! We are level, 1-1.

37 min: Two centering passes in a row for Lennon, but Defoe and Modric both go wide.

43 min: Huddlestone feeds Defoe in the box. A shot and fingertip save by their keeper to send it over the goal.

45 min: Man City with two clean shots from around the box. Gomes saves one, the rebound shot....Gomes grabs it and holds on!

HT: I could see our guys are starting to tire already. No changes yet, but we'll have to make use of all three subs today to stay fresh in the late going.

51 min: Man City with a free kick from the middle, just outside the box. It is a screamer, but Gomes is able to deflect.

63 min: A Man City shot from the left side, hits the right bar, then the upper bar and bounces in. That hurts. We are down 1-2.

Bentley in for Lennon. Kranjcar in for Huddlestone. Pavly in for Crouch.

73 min: We cannot get a clean shot off on two corner kicks.

80 min: Defoe with a turn around move and a screamer, but their keeper tips it over the bar. I go to overload strategy.

FT: We look so disorganized the last ten minutes. Our team is exhausted and we can't make a credible threat. We lose 1-2. Tough to swallow.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 07-25-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #53
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

After the match, rumors come out that I am going to sell Modric to Man City. I deny these rumors. Modric says he can't wait to make the move. I pull him aside and tell him that I will make Tottenham the kind of club he feels he needs it to be to further his career. I refuse to let him dictate to me. I will not sell him.

The next day Modric is quoted in the papers as saying he likes that Tottenham wants to be more successful and he is backing down from his transfer requests! I knew I would break him down.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #54
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 5, 2009

Liverpool (9th) at Tottenham (4th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
*DC Bassong 2.5
*DC Dawson 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Huddlestone 2.5
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

Our defense is extremely tired so we have to go with some backups for this game. It will probably come back to haunt us in the final results.

We are favored 6-4, Liverpool are dogs, 13-8. Should be a tight match. Conditioning seems to be an issue today so we'll just start out with a standard strategy.

7 min: Crouch beats two defenders, but cannot beat the keeper on a good chance.

18 min: Defoe with a screamer that bounces off the keeper's head. Crouch with a rebound try, but it is deflected back. So close on both attempts!

21 min: Bale with a cross to Huddlestone, who is about 10 yards outside of the box. He screams one over the goal. Wasted opportunity.

28 min: Crouch with a header way over the goal on a free kick. We have had opportunities, but cannot cash in any of them.

HT: We have been the better side, by a good margin, I think. But the important thing is the score, which is still 0-0. Lennon is not playing great, so I bring Bentley in for him.

48 min: Jenas's condition just went way down so I bring in Kranjcar for him.

52 min: Liverpool with a goal kick. It goes very long. Gomes comes out to get it, but misses. Open goal. Liverpool takes advantage. Horrible play. 0-1.
I switch to attacking strategy.

67 min: Kaboul in for Corluka, who looks a bit shaken up.

85 min: We haven't had another chance yet, so I go overload.

91 min: We press too much and Liverpool counter easily. 0-2 and that does it.

I'm disappointed. We've dropped 2 in a row, both at home, to a couple of the name teams in the PRM League. I hope things don't start to spiral out of control (like they usually do in my practice careers prior to this one.)

Old 07-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #55
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I get back to my office and get a small bit of good news. We have received $1.6 million dollars from a previous transfer with Sunderland. I guess the player has appeared in enough matches to trigger this clause. My transfer budget is $2.41 million right now, but I'm not sure I can bring anybody in that would really impact the team.

I do a little search and find a young DC who could eventually become one of the best defenders on my team. He is valued at over two million, but is transfer listed and my assistant believes I can get him for about $200K. I put a bid in.

My MR, Lennon says he needs to move to a bigger club. Bullshit. He is under contract until 2014. He is not going anywhere. He eventually backs down from his stance. Good boy.

We are trying to enjoy a week off to get rested and healthy before we travel to Man City for our next match. I am fearful that this losing streak is going to continue.

But as you know, you can never rest. Some team named Sevilla are lining up to buy my DR Corluka. I issue a hands off warning.

Some good news though, the transfer of a hot young prospect, Marc Muniesa goes through.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #56
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 12, 2009

Tottenham (7th) at Man City (3rd)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
*DC Woodgate 3
*DC Kaboul 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Huddlestone 2.5
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
ST Crouch 2.5

We get our better defensive line back together for this match.

Man City is a favorite today as a pick em. We are dogs at 11-5. I'll come out defensive and try to get a 1 goal win or a draw today.

3 min: Man City on the early attack. Gomes turns one behind, then makes a nice save on the corner.

30 min: Man City is controlling this match, but our defense and Gomes are bailing us out time after time. It is just a matter of time though.

HT: We survive the first half, with barely any challenges on gaol of our own. I'm not going to make any changes at this point.

48 min: Man City still attacking hard, but Crouch intercepts and races up the field, out running 3 defenders. He gets off half a chance, and the keeper easily turns it back.

54 min: Finally Man City break through with a goal. They just flat out beat our defense and there was nothing Gomes could do....but the ref has his flag up! Offsides. No goal! Dubious decision, but I'll take it. Huddlestone looks shaken up so I bring in Kranjcar.

64 min: Gomez makes a great save from point blank range. We get the rebound and move up field. A half hearted attempt on goal leaves us with a throw in.

65 min: Defoe passes to Crocuh, but a weak attempt is easily saved. Defoe is dragging so I sub Pavly in for him.

68 min: Pavly rips one on his first touch, and their keeper just barely saves it.

73 min: Modric passes to Pavly. He turns and fires on over. I bring Bentley in for Lennon.

77 min: I knew it was just a matter of time. Man City has outplayed us and they finally get a goal. It was sort of a cheapie, as a defelcted ball trickled to their guy and Gomes never had a chance.
I switch to overload.

88 min: Kranjcar has a wide open shot and fires it right at the keeper. Totally ridiculous.

Injury time: We have one last shot, but Pavly passes it to their keeper instead of taking a shot.

FT: Another loss. Things are slipping out of control.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #57
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Not long after the match, Corluka expresses his desire to move to a bigger club. He is signed until 2014 and I handle this the same way. You are not going anywhere and I will build this team to be that larger club you desire.
Corluka backs down from his comments.

FC Bayern are interested in buying Woodgate. Now here is a guy who is 29 yeas old, has some injury history and could draw a hefty sum of money. He is also only signed through 2011. I decide I will sell him only if the right price is offered. He is valued at $7 mil. Iwould think it would take $10+ for me to let him go.

King should be recovered from his injury, which is some good news.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #58
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 15, 2009

Blackburn (17th) at Tottenham (8th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
*DC Bassong 2.5
*DC Dawson 2.5
DR Corluka 3
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Palacios 3
MC Huddlestone 2.5
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
*ST Pavly 2.5

We will be a bit substandard on defense, but the last few matches took a lot out of our regulars. Palacios is back which helps our midfield greatly. Crouch gets a rest.

We are heavy favorites at 1-4. Blackburn listed at 9-1 dogs. We'll come out attacking and look for a 3 goal victory.

23 min: The first real chance is a feed from Lennon to Pavly. He has a bad habit of either sending it over the bar or directing it right towards the keeper.

40 min: Pavly with another chance, as well as Lennon, but we can't get anything on target for a legit chance. The guys are lacking something today.

42 min: Defense falls asleep and we give Blackburn a way too easy chance, which they finish. 0-1. This is bad.

HT: Bassong is having a terrible game so I bring Woodgate in. I am sick of watching Pavly so I bring in Crouch.

53 min: Still very weak on defense. Blackburn with a golden opportunity and only their incompetence keeps the score at 0-1.

60 min: We have a corner and Crouch gets his head on it, but puts it way over.

64 min: Huddlestone takes a very ill advised shot from a good 10 yards outside of the box, but he places it perfectly through traffic and we somehow equalize!! 1-1

74 min: I was checking the status of my guys and called for Gusjohnsen to sub in for the underperforming Defoe. I look up to see Defoe strike on from 2 feet out! We go up 2-1!!!

I've already called for the sub, so we go defensive.

89 min: Crouch and their keeper race for a loose ball. The keeper gets there just a fraction of a second and deflects it out to Huddlestone. A totally open go but it must be a 50 yard strike. It hits the crossbar. Ouch.

92 min: Murphy, for Blackburn gets his second yellow as he takes Crouch down on a clear breakaway. He is off.

FT: We survive a very ugly effort and still pick up 3 points.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #59
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 19, 2009

Tottenham (6th) at Bolton (13th)

Short turn around and a road game.

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
DC Bassong 2.5
*DC Woodgate 3
*DR Kaboul 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
*ST Crouch 2.5

We send out a better lineup, particularly on defense, than the last game. Conditioning might be an issue, with some recent short turn around times.

Bolton is favored 6-4. We are 13-8 dogs. I'll come out in a control strategy.

3 min: Defoe wastes a golden opportunity after he beats a pair of defenders.

10 min: Defoe once again denied and Palacios blasts a kick over after the corner.

24 min: Bolton with a free kick from distance and they lob it into the box. The ref calls a totally bad penalty. Gomes cannot make the save. 0-1

I switch to attacking.

39 min: Defoe to Lennon, but he doesn't have a great angle and the keeper makes yet another save.

HT: Bassong is not playing good at all so I bring King in for him.

53 min: free kick for Bolton and they drill it right into the net. Down 0-2 and we are in big trouble.

81 min: We cannot generate any chances. I go overload, but I know it won't matter.

81 min: Instead we immediately give up another goal. 0-3

FT: Lennon boots an easy chance in injury time to at least put us on the board. Story of the game. Worst loss of the season.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #60
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We have slid down to 9th place. We have two home games coming up in the next 9 days, which puts us at 3 games in just over a week. Even worst is that the two home games are against Chelsea and Arsenal. They are 3rd and 1st in the PRM League.

December 23, 2009

Chelsea (3rd) at Tottenham (9th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
DC Bassong 2.5
DC Woodgate 3
DR Kaboul 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
*MC Kranjcar 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3
*ST Pavly 2.5

Just a couple changes, despite the short time between matches.

Chelsea are 4-6 favorites. We are 7-2 dogs. I'll come out attacking and tell my team not to be intimidated.

8 min: Defoe works his way up the middle and fires off a screamer, but it goes over.

11 min: Defoe races up the left sideline and find Pavly. He doesn't even take his time with room to work and just fires a shot over.

13 min: A perfect centering pass for Chelsea and I think we are dead, but the header goes just wide.

24 min: Lennon finds Defoe in the middle, but another rushed shot leads to another one going over the bar.

29 min: Modric intercepts a pass and forwards it to Defoe, but he can't seem to direct one on goal today.

34 min: After a Chelsea corner, they gain control and center one from the baseline. There is no way it can go in the goal, but it must have deflected off of Gomes and goes in. Cheapest goal ever. 0-1

45 min: We intercept at midfield. Pavly works his way forward. I figure he will blast one, but he passes left to Defoe. Defoe finally finds the net! We equalize right before half. 1-1

HT: Assou-Ekotto not playing very good so I bring in Bale for him. Crouch in for Pavly, despite the nice assist.

57 min: Breakaway for Chelsea. They try to get a little too fancy and never get a good shot off.

62 min: Chelsea with a corner. It is headed out, but nobody picks them up and a screaming shot from the line goes in. 2-1

75 min: We go overload and try to get the equalizer.

84 min: Bentley in for Lennon

91 min: We couldn't ask for a better opportunity for Crouch. I am sure he is going to finish, but from about 5 yards out he puts it over. I want to strangle these pricks.

FT: We never get another shot off. Another loss. This is getting bad.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #61
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

December 28, 2009

Arsenal (2nd) at Tottenham (9th)

My assistant seems to think that Arsenal struggle against teams who run a 4-5-1 set. I figure, what the hell, and we give it a try.

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
DC Bassong 2.5
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 3
DMC King
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3

Arsenal are 4-7 favorites. We are 4-1 dogs. I'll go with this new formation and attack, try to get a lead then bunker down on defense. At least that is the plan.

1 min: Defoe tries to move into the box, but is cut off. He goes left and tries to center. In the next 10 seconds there are at least 3 Arsenal penalties in the box, with my guys going down everywhere. None are called. However, the ball trickles to the right side, Lennon's eyes light up and he slams it home!!! 1-0

14 min: Arsenal pushing hard, but Gomes makes two great saves like they were nothing. Great job there.

19 min: Modric tries to bend one on goal, but it goals wide. Way too fancy after we worked so hard.

45+ min: Our chances have been limited, but so have Arsenal's. In injury time we intercept at midfield. King, to Defoe to Modric on the left side and he strikes! Wow, we are up 2-0!!

HT: King is a bit tired, but I'm not sure who can actually play his DMC position. Oh, it looks like I can move Jenas back there and then sub in Kranjcar for King. I stay attacking, just because I am afriad to change it and jinx things.

53 min: Defoe, maybe frustrated by the way he is being closed down on in the 4-5-1, rushes a shot and puts it wide.

59 min: Defoe gets the ball in the same spot, but I think he learned something. He waits, waits....finds Lennon on the right side and Lennon rewards him and the team with a GOAL!! 3-0

It is at this point, I start thinking about changing to a 4-5-1 permanently. I don't know if we have the personal, plus I just spend a fortune on a second striker, but if I can do this, to Arsenal....well, it is worth thinking about.

78 min: Free kick for Arsenal but they put it way over. They are clearly frustrated.

80 min: Lennon is tiring, so Bentley in for him. Crouch in for the tiring Defoe.

85 min: Kranjcar with a steal at midfield. It leads to an open shot by Crouch. He puts it away! Make that 4-0!

88 min: Woodgate with a nasty takedown for no reason and he gets red carded. I go defensive.

FT: My greatest win as an FM manager.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #62
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I get a call from Newcastle after the game congratulating me on the win. Then they informed me that because Bassong has played in 15 matches with us, I owe them $825,000. Ouch!

We have a 2 day turn around to travel to last place Burnley.

December 30, 2009

Tottenham (9th) at Burnley (20th)

I decide to work in the 4-5-1 again. It paid off so nicely against rivals Arsenal, that it is worth experimenting with.

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
*DC Kaboul 2.5
*DC Dawson 2.5
*DR Walker 1.5
*DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Bentley 2.5
*ST Crouch 2.5

Lots of substitutions with only 2 days in between matches. We also have the 3rd round Cup match coming in about 4 days, so the rest will have our best players ready for that one.

We are favored 4-6. Burnley are 7-2 dogs. We will attack.

8 min: They beat our defense and it looks like we are dead. Gomes deflects it, but right back to the striker. Another shot and Gomes has to dive backwards, twist his body and somehow, someway, makes the save.

20 min: Burnley has had the better of us so far, but we come down with a nice cross from Bentley. Crouch gets on it and lobs it over the keeper, but over the bar as well.

40 min: A bland first half so far. Until Bentley tries the cross pass to Crouch again. Crouch gets it down on his foot, one dribble and beats the keeper! 1-0

HT: They have dominated possession, but we had the better chances and the one goal. No changes yet.

47 min: Gomes takes a bad angle and misses a save. The ball rolls loose and we are quite lucky that they cannot finish.

66 min: Three changes to get fresh legs in. Lennon for Bentley. Kranjcar for Palacios and Corluka for Huddlestone. We also go control strategy.

88 min: Boring match continues. Lennon gets the ball, passes way forward to himself, but leaves no angle.

FT: It wasn't pretty, but a tired team, on the road and we get 3 points, so I'll take it.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #63
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

January 1, 2010

Transfer window opens.

Tottenham welcome the much anticipated arrival of Adriano!
We also welcome a hot youth prospect in Marc Muniesa.

Today also starts the ridiculous chasing of a few of my players who I have clearly indicated are not going anywhere.

January 2, 2010

FA Cup Third Round

Everton at Tottenham

So, my assistant says that Everton have success against the 4-5-1. I don't know how they perform against a 4-4-2. I'm going to stick with my new formation though.

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
*DC Bassong 2.5
*DC Woodgate 3
*DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Lennon 3
*ST Defoe 3

OK, so we get our better players back in. I know, where is Adriano. He is at 90% fitness, so I'll probably bring him in later. Build up the suspense.

We are a pick em favorite. Everton is a 11-5 dog. We will attack.

10 min: Defoe fires off our first shot from the left side. A bad angle and an easy save for Howard. Tim Howard? I know him!

20 min: We survive three Everton corners in a row.

HT: Neither team had any real chances. Palacios is injured and Modric is really winded, so we shuffle around. I bring in Kranjcar for Modric. I move Huddlestone up for Palacios and then bring in King to play MDC.

63 min: A very boring game so far. I give Adriano his debut.

78 min: A corner for us and I think Huddlestone can get it in, but he goes way over the bar.

90 min: Huddlestone gets it to Adriano. He fires one off and the keeper takes a step back and grabs it at the goal line!

FT: A 0-0 draw, which means we have to win at their place now.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #64
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Gomes has now gone over 3 games without allowing a goal. Impressive.

FA Cup 4th round draw. Should we get by Everton, we would have a home game against Arsenal. Could this be the toughest draw ever? Yes.

Among other teams, ManU will not leave Modric alone. They make a 16.5 million dollar bid for him. It is actually tempting to get rid of this ongoing headache, but I refuse to be broken. He is my best player by a full star rating. I reject it.

AC Milan then comes along and offers $20,000,000 plus incentives for Modric. Holy cow.
It is 4.1 million now and 16 million over 24 months. I reject it.

A 12+ million bid for Corluka comes in. We have Kaboul who is only a half star worse and we have Walker who is only 1.5 stars now, but can grow into a 3 star player. This is tempting. I have to think on it. The actual deal is 2.3 million now and 10 million over 30 months plus 20% of the next sale's profit. After some thought, I reject it. I don't know why. I guess I feel it makes us a worse team right now, and I want to win games.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #65
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

January 9, 2010

Wolves (14th) at Tottenham (8th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
DC Bassong 2.5
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Defoe 3

I have been giving Jenas too much starting time so Kranjcar gets in there. Adriano is lacking match fitness, so I'll bring him in in the second half to get some time.

We are 1-2 favorites. Wolves are 9-2 dogs. We attack.

35 min: The first shot of the game for us comes this late and it is a weak shot that goes way over by Lennon.

HT: A horrible first half. I am angry at the guys and I let them know it.

69 min: Still no effort from our guys. At least the Wolves are posing no threat of their own. I get Corluka out and bring in Kaboul. Defoe out, Adriano in. Huddlestone out, Jenas in.

79 min: Palacios to Lennon and he blows an easy one. I am furious.

80 min: Adriano with a nice move to get open, but he doesn't have much of an angle and can't get it past.

85 min: Multiple corners for us but we can't do a thing and Jenas finishes it off with a blast into the stands.

88 min: Palacios way over the bar. This is pathetic and borderline ridiculous.

FT: 0-0 draw. I simply tell the team they are not good enough.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #66
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Sevilla make a $10 million offer for Kaboul. He is a part time starter, part time backup. He gives us depth. I counter some of the terms and see what happens.

They withdraw their bid after considering my counter. Oh well.

Fenerbahce ask if I will loan Kaboul for 1.1 million. I dont see the benefit there, so I reject it.

FC Bayern offer $12 mil for Kaboul. I finally decide to accept an offer. Most of the money is to be paid over 30 months, but Kaboul is not worth it in my book, so I take the deal. His average rating in league play has been 6.95.

Meanwhile.....

January 13, 2010

FA Cup Third Round Replay

Tottenham at Everton

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Assou-Ekotto 2.5
DC King 2.5
DC Kaboul 2.5
DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 4

Maybe Kaboul's last game with us, so I give him a start. Adriano gets his first start and we hope he makes a big impact.

Everton are 5-4 favorites. We are 7-4 dogs. I'll come out controlling.

16 min: Lennon runs and runs, down field, all the way across and fires one too high. Does he know he has teammates?

20 min: Gomes with a spectacular shot. He is now over 400 minutes without a goal allowed. Did I just jinx him?

38 min: Some pressure from Everton, but Gomes tips the shot over the bar.

HT: Lately my games have been very dull. We cannot generate a goal, but our defense and goal keeping has been superb. No changes yet. This could go a long time still.

46 min: Modric finds Adriano up ahead, but he rushes the shot and it goes well wide.

61 min: A second yellow for an Everton player. He is off. We stay controlling but we have to be spurred on now!

71 min: Adriano with our first legit chance since the red card, but he rifles it over. So frustrating.

90 min: We have a corner. The header looks like it has a chance but it is off the bar!

90+: We go to extra time. I need to make subs. Defoe for Adriano. Jenas for Huddlestone. Bentley for Lennon.

97 min: I can't believe they get the first chance. Our defense looks confused, they get a clean one and we are in deep trouble. 0-1. I go to attacking.

106 min: Finally! We are tired, we are demoralized, but Defoe won't let us give up. He feeds Palacios and he makes it count!! 1-1

113 min: Defoe gets the ball outside the box. He hesitates, makes one move and then beats Howard! We go up 2-1. I go defensive right away.

FT: We did it. We pulled this one out, somehow.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #67
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Not much rest before our next match, but I do manager to take an offer for Cudicini, my backup Keeper. He is old and sucks, so I'll gladly take the 1.5 mil for him.

January 16, 2010

Tottenham (8th) at Stoke (11th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
*DC Bassong 2.5
*DC Woodgate 3
*DR Walker 1.5
*DMC Jenas 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Gudjohnsen 1.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Bentley 2.5
*ST Defoe 3

The team is exhausted after the last match and we send out a fairly weak team.

We are favored 5-4. Stoke are 7-4 dogs. We will use a control strategy.

8 min: Palacios finds Modric on the left side, but he doesn't have enough room and his the side net.

11 min: We have a throw in. Jenas finds the ball on his foot and just turns and shoots. It goes in! 1-0

24 min: We survive a few corners and a throw in, not to mention a foul called in the penalty area. Thankfully, it was on them.

38 min: They have been getting a lot of pressure on us, and we finally break and concede a goal. I really thought Gomes was all over it, but no such luck. 1-1

43 min: Gusjohnsen injured, so Kranjcar in for him.

HT: No subs yet, but I do switch to attacking.

50 min: Bentley leads the fast break and he pushes it forward to Palacios. He outruns his man and has just the keeper to beat. He goes upper right and makes it good! 2-1

78 min: We are getting tired and I am fearful of allowing the equalizer. Lennon in for Bentley. Kaboul in for Walker. I go defensive.

79 min: Modric rushes down the left side. He makes a picture perfect centering pass to Palacios, who has no choice but to score. That was too easy and should clinch it. 3-1

FT: That does it. A much needed three points!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #68
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
16 min: Lennon runs and runs, down field, all the way across and fires one too high. Does he know he has teammates?

LOL welcome to my world every Saturday morning during the EPL season

Good stuff Marmel, enjoying the read.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #69
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We get a much needed week break before our 4th round FA Cup clash with Arsenal.

Woodgate wants to move, but I changed my mind on him and decide to try and keep him happy.

That last win has moved us up to 7th in the PRL League.

I do confirm the transfer of Cudicini and collect $1.5 million.

I also ship out Kaboul for a $12 million dollar deal. I liked the guy, but the offer was too good to pass up.

I have some money to play with an find a guy named Sulley Muntari, rated 3.5 stars and could play the DMC spot in my new formation. I put in a bid. The offer is accepted and I make a contract offer.

Muntari rejects the offer, but I think I gave him exactly what he asked for. I try again. Oh, I see...my board won't let me give him what he wants, despite the fact it would keep me under my wage budget for the year. Shit.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #70
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks BYU!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #71
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

January 23, 2010

FA Cup 4th Round

Arsenal at Tottenham

So, Arsenal is our rival and they are the team we blasted when we introduced the 4-5-1 formation. I have high hopes and run out the following team:

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
*DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
*DR Corluka 3
*DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Lennon 3
*ST Adriano 3.5

Lots of changes, but back to one of our stronger lineups. Ekotto out with an injury.

We are favored 5-4. Arsenal dogs at 7-4. We'll attack.

10 min: An Arsenal corner. Lennon picks up the header and races up field. He tries to find Adriano, but can't quite place it.

16 min: corner kick and a head....it bounces off the top bar and into the net on top of the goal.

21 min: Arsenal moving the ball around our area until we finally make a mistake. They get by the defense and beat Gomes. We are down 0-1.

HT: No more action. Arsenal is bunkering down and trying to hold on. Kranjar in for the injured Jenas and Bentley in for the injured Lennon.

59 min: Defoe in for the injured Adriano. Just great.

64 min: Was Adriano's injury a blessing in disguise? Defoe takes the ball curls around the penalty area and strikes one true! We equalize! 1-1

70 min: We get a midfield steal. Defoe to Kranjcar to Palacios, but the keeper dives and makes a great save. Damn.

75 min: A foul called just inches outside of the penalty box. Off the free kick, Defoe goes inches wide. I was so hopeful!

85 min: Kranjcar winds his way through the defenders, has an OK look, but goes over.

FT: A draw. Now we have to play at their place.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #72
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

FA Cup 5th Round Draw.

Should we beat Arsenal, we would have a road game against PRM League team Fulham.

The search for a transfer target goes on, with time running out. The only guys I want, I can't have.

January 26, 2010

Tottenham (7th) at Everton (8th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Dawson 2.5
DR Corluka 3
*DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Bentley 2.5
*ST Defoe 3

Lennon and Adriano won't be available for a few more days.

Everton is favored 6-4. We are 13-8 dogs. We will still attack.

26 min: A couple mediocre chances for each team. Dawson has to come off due to injury. Woodgate in.

34 min: We get lucky. Our defense gets beat and the Everton striker has room to work. Gomes cannot get to the shot, but it goes inches wide. Dodged a huge bullet.

34 min: We turn it over and Everton get a corner. It was perfect. We are down 0-1.

HT: I just tell the team that I need to see more out of them. At least get the draw!!!

48 min: Defoe does his little dribble across the box, turn and fires, like he has done so many times. It goes wide though.

57 min: Modric steals a pass while they are on the attack. Long pass up to Defoe. He is far left. A long centering pass and there is Bentley streaking in. His header is true. I shed a tear. 1-1

70 min: we are tired. Huddlestone out. Kranjcar in. Jenas goes to DMC. Corluka out, Walker in.

75 min: Bad move bringing Walker in. He gets in Gomes way, the ball bounces off Walker's foot for an own goal. Makes me sick. 1-2. We go overload.

91 min: Defoe with a chance to be the hero, but Tim Howard anticipated his move and makes what turns out to be an easy save.

FT: This one is pretty painful.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #73
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post

Muntari rejects the offer, but I think I gave him exactly what he asked for. I try again. Oh, I see...my board won't let me give him what he wants, despite the fact it would keep me under my wage budget for the year. Shit.

Try changing his role in the team when it comes to the contract offer. There a few options there, like "Backup", "Rotation", "First Team" and "Key Player". Sometimes if one option doesn't give you the budget you require, you up it to the next level and see if the board will allow you to offer more.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #74
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

January 30, 2010

Wigan (10th) at Tottenham (8th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
*DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Bentley 2.5
ST Defoe 3

Bale is our only option today at DL. We get Woodgate back in the lineup and keep everything else the same. Adriano is only listed at 89%, so he is a sub. Truth be told, I am underwhelmed by him right now. I am also a little underwhelmed by the way we are playing in the 4-5-1. I may go back to the 4-4-2 soon and pair up Adriano and Defoe and see how that works out.

We are favored 4-7. Wigan are 4-1 dogs. This is pretty much a must win, at home. We will attack.

23 min: So far we have controlled the action but have not been able to put a shot on goal. A few corners and a few horribly aimed shots.

HT: 7 shots total for both teams, not a single one on target. I get Lennon in for Bentley.

54 min: Jenas feeds Lennon. He runs around in the box until all the defenders gather and the keeper gets set, then he fires off a shot that has no chance.

56 min: Walker in for Corluka and Adriano in for Defoe.

62 min: Lennon centers for Huddlestone who is trailing the play. He has a clean shot fro the semi-circle and sends it into orbit.

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR SOCCER PLAYERS TO KEEP A SHOT LOWER THAN, WHAT? 8 FEET? HOW HIGH IS THE GOAL?

71 min: A perfect centering pass for Wigan and an easy finish right in the middle. The defense did nothing to help Gomes. 0-1. I switch to an overload strategy.

88 min: My keeper comes out to play a ball in no man's land. He misplays it, leaves the goal wide open and we are down 0-2.

So, I am doing something wrong in every career I have started. I start out good the first couple of months, usually top part of the league, then things completely unravel over the course of the next few months and by the time 2010 rolls around I want to quit the game, delete FM and wonder why I ever tried a soccer sim to begin with.

FT: I basically tell the team they are horrible and to suck my balls. I'll push on and try to figure it out though.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #75
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks to law's advice, I am able to secure DMC Sulley Muntari just before the transfer window closes. I spend all $8,000,000 of my money, plus another 2 million in future payments. This transfer means I am sticking with the 4-5-1 for the season.

February 3, 2010

FA Cup 4th Round Replay

Tottenham at Arsenal

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Jenas 2.5
MC Palacios 3
*MR Lennon 3
*ST Adriano 3.5

Just a couple of changes to get our two best guys in at AL and ST. So, Muntari comes over injured. You would think that I would get some notice that I am buying damaged good for $10 million? Nope. That is great.

Arsenal is favored as a pick em. We are 11-5 dogs. I will just go defensive and try to make this a 120 min long, drawn out, ugly 1-0 match.

2 min: Nothing fancy, just better football and a great shot by Arsenal puts us in a very early 0-1 hole that I know we cannot get out from.

3 min: Or maybe I am wrong. Adriano centers for Palacios. He is about to shoot but sees Lennon has a better angle. He feeds him and it is too easy! 1-1

10 min: van Persle scores his second Arsenal goal from the exact same spot in the box and with the exact same angle as last time. I'll just assume Gomes thought he would go the other way this time. 1-2.

44 min: We equalize right before half on a play stolen from the basketball court. Adriano gives it up to Palacios, then he breaks for the goal. Palacios give it back...ya know, the 'ol give and go. Adriano puts it away for his first (I think) Tottenham goal, and a huge one at that! 2-2

HT: If I have to watch Huddlestone fire blasts into the upper deck for another minute, I'm gonna be sick. The guy is a total waste of roster space. I move King up into the DMC spot, even though it is not a natural fit for him. Walker then comes in to play the back line.

63 min: Arsenal getting too much pressure on me and it seems like it is just a matter of time so I come out of the defensive strategy and go to a control strategy.

64 min: van Persle just misses his hat trick with an absolute bullet from way out that ricochets off the bar.

66 min: Defoe coming in for an exhausted Adriano.

82 min: I go all out attacking for the final 10 minutes.

85 min: Arsenal is offsides and score easily. I just pray it is called.....and it is. Whew!

86 min: Defoe with a cross to Palacios. His header might fall in behind the keeper, but it bounces off the bar and out. So darn close.

87 min: Palacios finds Modric and it is an easy chance, but he kicks it right to the keeper. No way!

89 min: Defoe squeezes one in to a cutting Lennon, but the keeper makes the save of the game. I can't hardly believe this.

89 min: Walker gets the ball in the box after the corner but hits the side net.

90 min: We go to extra time, just like I predicted, but not at 0-0, but at 2-2. We have one more sub left and I bring Bentley in for Lennon. We will go with a control strategy.

103 min: Modric makes a great sliding steal, get up and passes the ball to Defoe. Defoe races down the left, cuts in and at the last second passes to Bentley who finishes!!! We go up 3-2. I stay in a control set.

105 min: Can we hold on for 15 more minutes? Jenas is hurt, but I have no subs. Everybody else is totally sucking wind.

114 min: Arsenal throw in from way deep in our territory. The ball is tipped straight up right in front of the goal.....then goes over for a corner.

115 min: On the corner, they pass it in low, Vela gets it turns, shoots and this one is probably going to PK's. 3-3

120 min: We have a late throw in but can't do anything, so we go to Penalty Kicks. I'll send out:
Modric
Pavly
Adriano
Kranjcar
Bentley

Arsenal: van Persle goes left, so does Gomes. He saves it! It looked like a half-assed effort from van P.
Spurs: Modric steps up, the keeper barely moves. GOAL!
1-0

Arsenal: Vela steps up, Gomes guess correctly but still can't stop it. GOAL
Spurs: Bentley sends the keeper left, he goes right. GOAL
2-1

Arsenal: Fabregas goes straight middle, or so it seemed. It bounces off Gomes, rolls down the line. No Goal! Too good to be true!
Spurs: What? Bale is taking a kick? WHY? He wasn't in my 5 picks. Thank god he scores a GOAL. I need to figure out the PK rules.
3-1

Arsenal: Vermaelen has to score here. With no effort he kicks it straight. Gomes saves, throws it in the air and hell yeah!
3-1

We do sometimes have a flair for the dramatic!!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #76
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

OK, that match was on February 3rd. We have ManU at home on the 6th, 5th place Aston Villa on the road on the 9th and then the FA Cup 5th round on the road at 17th place Fulham on the 13th. Then we finally get a week off. We are going to have a tired group of guys. Is there anyway to ask for a reschedule??

Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #77
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

February 6, 2010

TV Match
Tottenham (8th) at ManU (4th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 3
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
*MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
*MR Bentley 2.5
*ST Defoe 3

Just a few minor changes. Kranjcar and Bentley are not the official regular starters, but they play enough to be considered at least part time starters. Adriano just needs a bit of a rest for this match. He may come in later.

Really, I am just trying to survive this match. We don't have the talent, and it is on the road. I'll take a draw.

We are 3-1 underdogs. I'll play a control strategy rather than defensive. With defensive, it just seems we try to hold them off as long as possible, but the damn always breaks. Maybe with control we can find some opportunities of our own for our midfield and Huddlestone to blast over the bar.

4 min: Kranjcar feeds Modric inside the box, but he can't beat Foster, their keeper. He had a real good chance there too.

19 min: ManU has been controlling the action. A few very dangerous headers in the penalty box are up in the air, up for grabs. We finally force a goal kick.

21 min: Rooney leading the break for ManU. Everytime he passes off, our defense just lets him run. He gets a beautiful assist and we are down 0-1.

32 min: We work the ball pretty good in the middle half of the field, but when we close in on goal, we just can't get clean shots. Modric sends a very wishful shot way over the bar.

45 min: Defoe with a golden opportunity, just like Modric had in the 4th minute, but our shots are not good enough.

HT: We have some pretty tired guys, so I use all 3 subs right here. Gidjohnsen for Modric. Walker for King. Crouch for Palacios, even though it is not his position. We'll also go on the attack and try to equalize.

56 min: I can't say we haven't had opportunities. Gusjohnsen gets the ball on the break, he comes down the middle, beats his man but cannot beat the keeper.

62 min: The one time I use up all my subs, we get an injury. Corluka is out. We play with 10 men. I go back to control and hope we can poach a single goal.

80 min: I go overload and pray for one goal.

89 min: We have a throw in this late in the game, but what a surprise, the shot goes over.

93 min: Gusjohnson drills one from outside of the box, it hits the top bar and goes about a mile up in the air. When it comes down, ManU clear it and that was probably our last chance.

FT: 0-1 is not bad against them, but we really need points right now.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #78
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

February 9th, 2010

Tottenham (9th) at Aston Villa (5th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
*DR Walker 1.5
DMC Huddlestone 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
*MR Lennon 3
*ST Adriano 3.5

Other than Assou-Ekotto and Corluka's injuries on our defensive line, this is our best team on paper.

We are 7-2 underdogs. I'll come out in a control strategy.

26 min: Our control strategy has made this a very boring game. No shots on goal, no real threats. Hey, if I can get a 0-0 draw today, I'll take it. King gets injured and Bassong comes in to replace him.

42 min: A throw in from basically the corner kick spot. Adriano gets his head on it right on the penalty spot, but their keeper steps up and grabs it safely. It really was a great save.

HT: A very boring game, like most of my games lately. No changes at the half.

66 min: Still no real action. Adriano tries to blast one in from way outside the box after making a nice move, but it is an easy save.

68 min: I bring Corluka in for Modric and have him switch up with Kranjcar.

69 min: Gomes makes an amazing save from point blank range to keep the score level.

73 min: Gomes makes a great save. There is a scrum around the keeper, who si on the ground clutching the ball. An Aston Villa player kicks it out of his hands and the ball dribbles in the goal. Total bullshit. 0-1 I go attacking.

82 min: We try to clear out a corner, but Aston picks it up. They fire a longe range shot, which Gomes has a bead on, but the ball deflects off of somebody and goes in. Two cheap goals. 0-2

FT: I'll do anything for 3 points right now.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #79
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Our next game is on the 13th in the FA Cup 5th round. We last played on the 9th. The good news is that our opponent, Fulham, just played on the 10th. The bad news it that it is on the road.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #80
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

February 13, 2010

FA Cup 5th Round

Tottenham at Fulham

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
*DR Corluka 2.5
*DMC Muntari 3.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Kranjcar 3
MC Palacios 3
*MR Bentley 2.5
ST Adriano 3.5

Modric will make his Tottenham debut. Corluka back from injury. Lennon needs a bit of a rest. I really feel like we have a great shot today. Let's see what the odds makers think...

Fulham are 6-4 favorites. We are 13-8 dogs. I'll come out attacking.

5 min: We are playing with an orange ball today, whatever that might mean. Gomes has to make dive to the left, but he gets to the bal for a great save!

21 min: We have multiple chances in a row. Each time a nice pass into the box, but their defense continues to make nice sliding tackles, force the corner and then defend it well.

26 min: We have a throw in from the left side. A couple of passes and Adriano gets it in the box, still on the left. He fakes right, shoots left. GOAL! 1-0

41 min: Second corner kick in a row for us. Adriano gets his head on it from about 10 feet from the goal, but the keeper was positioned perfectly.

HT: We are a bit tired, but no subs yet. I want to ride the starters a bit longer if I can.

49 min: Kranjcar injured. Huddlestone in for him. I swap him and Muntari.

53 min: We get burned on defense, but they shoot it wide into the netting.

56 min: Palacios outruns their whole team, but the keeper deflects it right to Adriano. He shoot, but the keeper gets in the way again.

79 min: Bassong in for Bale and Walker in for Woodgate.

90 min: Free kick to Fulham just outside of the box. It was a screamer towards the left side of the goal. Gomes with an incredible fyling save. It was probably the game saver.

FT: We hold on for an ugly 1-0 win, which I gladly take. I also decide to scrap the 4-5-1 experiment. My new guy Muntari can play MC as well, so I am not stuck with him. He is still a great addition and had a 6.8 match rating in his debut.

Gomes was an amazing 8.4, while Corluka was an 8.6 in his return.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #81
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

FA Cup 6th Round Draw

We are on the first line. Unfortunately we play on the road. We draw Portsmouth, who are 20th in the PRM League. Could have been worst, but I was hoping for the CH team or even the L1 team that was still alive.

I decide to go back to the 4-4-2 tactic. The other one was fun for a bit, but it just was not working.

We are getting some guys back from injury: Ekotto and Jenas.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #82
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

February 20, 2010

TV Match
Blackburn (15th) at Tottenham (10th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

Ekotto will sit one more match, but I'll probably bring him into this one if needed. This is actually a pretty darn solid team on paper, isn't it???

Somehow Blackburn is favored, 6-4. We are 13-8 dogs at home? We will attack.

15 min: We have put a lot of pressure on Blackburn and had a few nice shots on goal, including Adriano's just now, but their keeper is saving everything so far.

16 min: Lennon races down the right side and centers perfectly for Adriano. A finesse header is lobbed gently over the keeper and in it goes!!! 1-0

26 min: Gomes comes wayyy out of goal and I wonder what in the world he is doing as a Blackburn player races towards him with the ball. Amazingly, he cuts off all angles and makes a wonderful sliding save. Maybe the most risky, but sweetest save I have seen.

HT: Not too many chances either way so far, but I am pleased with the early goal. No changes yet.

51 min: Modric lobs it in for Adriano, but his header goes off the post.

62 min: Bale is injured, so I bring Ekotto in.

80 min: Blackburn has yet to make a serious threat in the second half. Defoe so close to wrapping this game up, but he hits the side net. Better than putting it over I suppose.

94 in: Gomes has to make a save on a desperation shot, but there was never any real danger.

FT: Wow, we earned 3 points. We needed that. Feels great to win again, though it was still a pretty ugly victory.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #83
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

February 27, 2010

Tottenham (9th) at Fulham (17th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
*DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

Ekotto back in as our best DL after some time off with an injury. Bassong is rated lower than Woodgate, but has a high average match rating. For now, they are interchangable.

MC Jenas and ST Pavly have pretty much been demoted. Neither are even subs for this game.

Fulham are 6-4 favorites at home. We are 13-8 dogs. I feel we are the better team, by a decent margin. We will attack.

16 min: Fulham has put some decent pressure on us the last 5 minutes, but we avoid any real chances on goal with some solid defense on a couple of corners and a throw in.

22 min: Defoe gets called for a penalty on a corner. Shorey puts it away for Fulham and we are down 0-1.

33 min: We still have not had a good shot on goal. Gomes has to make a backpedalling save on a real screamer to keep the defecit at 1 goal.

36 min: Fulham were offsides, with no call, but Gomes still able to make a great stop.

37 min: Defoe in a two man game with Adriano. He feeds Adriano on the left, and he shoots cross pitch to just clip the inside of the far right post. It settles in the net and we have equalized! 1-1

45 min: Again we are trying to survive some heavy pressure from Fulham. This time Ekotto gets a steal, pushes it up to Adriano, who finds Modric cutting in from the left. The pass is right on target and Modric goes across the pitch with his shot. Just like Adriano's goal, it is off the far post and in! 2-1

HT: I consider pulling Defoe, who hasn't played good, but that assist he had bumped up his game score. I'll leave him in for now, but I expect to get Crouch in soon.

51 min: Defoe finds Lennon coming in from the right. The shot is saved by the fingertips. I thought for sure it was an easy score.

52 min: Off the corner kick, Lennon ends up with the ball in the same spot, and this time he makes good for his last shot. GOAL! 3-1

63 min: Muntari to Adriano to Defoe. GOAL! It was beautiful teamwork. I have to think this one is out of reach for Fulham now. 4-1

72 min: Poor defense on a throw in leads to a quick and easy open shot right on the penalty spot. Nevland scores for Fulham. 4-2

72 min: I bring Bale in for a tiring Modric and Crouch in for Defoe.

83 min: My two subs work magic. Bale on the left side centers for Crouch. Crouch gets his head on it and drills it home! 5-2

FT: When we start scoring goals, we are a very dangerous team. One of my top 3 performances of the year.

Despite the great win, about the best I can do is finish top 7, maybe with a lot of luck squeeze into the 6th spot. There really should be an 8 team playoff or something. The season is so very anti-climatic without any promotion in the premier league.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #84
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The goal for the rest of the season is to beat the PRM League teams I am supposed to beat, contends with the better teams and keep a top 10 finish, preferably in the top 8.

Also, we have the FA Cup Quarterfinals coming up in about a week. I would love to win this competition. We have a winnable game against Portsmouth to get to the semi-finals. After that, the other quarter finals are:

ManCity vs. Chelsea – winner must be favorites the rest of the way
Blackburn vs Stoke - 15th and 10th place in the PRM League. We could beat either team.
Newcastle vs. Norwich – CH team vs League 1 team. Winner will be the huge dogs.

First we have to take care of business in the Quarters...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #85
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

March 6, 2010

TV Match
English FA Cup Quarterfinals

Tottenham at Portsmouth

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

No changes. I am a bit concerned about Corluka and Modric's conditioning, even after the nice long break. I have subs ready for both of them, but both are key members of this team.

We are favored as a pick em. Portsmouth are 11-5 dogs. We will attack.

4 min: We have controlled the ball for a few minutes now, but it has been sloppy and lots of headers trying to gain firm control. Finally Lennon has it, advances forward, finds Defoe just outside the right corner of the box. Defoe does his patented turn and fire, which never works....except this time he buries it!!!! 1-0

9 min: Their striker dekes out my entire defense, but Gomes is my rock. He makes the save like it was nothing.

18 min: Defoe being cocky now, tries the same move. This time we get the usual over and wide by a mile result.

32 min: we waste two corners in a row. Then Palacios dribbles and dribbles, can't find anyone and turns it over. Portsmouth on a fast break, but Corluka back quick enough to break it up.

37 min: 3 corners in a row for Portsmouth. On the third one, I don't know what happened, but the ball comes flying out to midfield where Adriano is ahead of the pack by a full step. He gets tackled roughly from behind at the semi-circle. No penalty kick from there. Just a free kick. Bain gets a yellow card, should have been a red. Adriano kicks it into the wall and it deflects back 50 yards.

HT: No changes. I am keeping an eye on Modric, his condition is getting low.

67 min: Walker in for Corluka and Bale in for Modric. Both of the starters had serious condition concerns. This makes us noticably weaker on the pitch though, so I go to a control strategy.

86 min: We are applying some pressure, trying to get the ball in the box and get that game clinching goal. The ball is up for grabs and I hear a whistle. I think Defoe gets fouled in the box, but he is called for the foul. No penalty kick.

89 min: For the second game in a row, my two subs work the magic. Walker centers for Bale, who heads it in. Hello Semi-Finals!!! 2-0

FT: This is getting pretty exciting. I can't wait to see the other results and get the draw for the Semi-Finals.

Also, we are on a nice little roll here as we approach the end of the season.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #86
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

In other FA Cup results:

ManCity and Chelsea will have a replay after a 1-1 draw.
Stoke beats Blackburn, as expected.
Newcastle beats Norwich, also as expected.

As I prepare to watch the Semi-Final Draw, I only hope that if I draw ManCity/Chelsea, that I at least get a home game to give myself a fighting chance.

The first team up is ManCity/Chelsea as the home team. I yell at the monitor as I click 'Draw Next Team' “NOT ME NOT ME NOT ME”

Its me.

I never catch a break.

In the meantime we have about a week off before we get back into League Play.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Actually, you have a TON to play for going down the stretch

Yes, you're not going to win the league.. however, you could qualify for Europe one of two ways.

A) Finish in the top 5-7 of the league. The top 4 teams in the English Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League, a big-money competition featuring the top teams from all over Europe. The next 1-3 teams qualify for the Europa League, the second-level competition.. not as big-money, or as prestigious, but it can be a very welcome boost to team finances...

Note I said 1-3 teams..

B) Win the FA Cup, and no matter where you finish in the league, you'll at least be playing in the Europa League next year. I don't see who won the League Cup, but if they already qualify for Europe by league placement, the "extra" spot goes to the 6th place team. The FA Cup is similar, except it goes to the winner, and then to the losing finalist, before going to the next placed league team.

So there's really a lot of interest in top 8 or so games the rest of the way
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #88
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the great info Foz. I was a bit fuzzy on who qualifies for Europe, and had no idea there was a Europa.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #89
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

March 13, 2010

Tottenham (8th) at Sunderland (14th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

I've settled on this lineup being my best, at least while I seem to be playing good. Anytime I am playing a team ranked lower than 10, whether it is on the road or at home, I expect at least 1 point, if not 3. I would really like to grab 3 here obviously.

We are 6-4 favorites. Sunderland are 13-8 dogs. We attack.

9 min: Sunderland with a free kick from in close. The bal is deflected up. Gomes can't get to it, but they send it high and wide.

11 min: They have a breakaway. The centering pass looks good but the header is over. Nice to see the other team doing that.

17 min: They have been getting the better of us so far, and they get the first goal as well. A simple play in the middle of the field that our defense just seemed to let happen. 0-1

38 min: We still haven't had a real chance. Sunderland with a corner and they convert. We are in some serious trouble now. 0-2

HT: I read them the riot act at the half. Crouch in for Defoe and Woodgate in for Bassong. I go to an overload strategy and hope I can get 2.

50 min: We finally get a decent chance on goal, but a pair of centering passes are not quite on target to get a good shot off.

67 min: A corner kick for us looks like it has potential but the header goes way over. Things are looking bleak now.

FT: Not much else to say other than we were totally outclassed. I am very disappointed in the team today.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #90
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

March 20, 2010

West Ham (7th) at Tottenham (9th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
*ML Bale 2
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

Modric is going to be out for 2-3 weeks. Bale is a huge drop down in quality. It goes without saying that this is a huge match if we are going to improve our league position by year's end.

West Ham are 6-4 favorites. We are 13-8 dogs. I'm going to just start with the standard strategy today.

34 min: A horribly boring game. Neither team has had any real threat, and very few shots even. Defoe with the first semi-chance of the game for us, but he goes very wide.

38 min: We have a free kick from the side. Bassong with the header that didn't have a chance.

42 min: Adriano centers for Defoe who is wide open, but his header is so weak. Where are his finishes???

HT: Neither team has much to be proud of. We really need the 3 points. I will switch to an attack.

58 min: Defoe just taking batting practice from outside the box every time he touches it. He was close once, but has yet to actually make the keeper make a save.

59 min: Crouch and Pavly in for Adriano and Defoe. Drastic measures.

61 min: Bassong with a foul in the penalty area. How come my team never gets a penalty kick. It is a conspiracy. Of course it is good. 0-1

73 min: Pavly with a terrific turn around and shoot move, making the keeper do some actual work. It was a great save.

75 min: I switch to an overload strategy.

77 min: Pavly trying to reward me for giving him playing time has another great chance at goal, but their keeper is wonderful today.

FT: No more threats from us, and we go down in embarrassing fashion at home. To not even get one point in the last two games is pretty lousy football.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #91
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Chelsea beats ManCity in the FA Cup replay. So we travel to Chelsea. That is a huge hurdle.

Oh but wait, we actually will play at Wembley. Is that Chelsea's home or is it neutral??

We have a bit of history on our side as the two teams met in the 1967 final, with the Spurs coming out victorious.

March 27, 2010

Tottenham (9th) at Portsmouth (20th)

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
*DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Bale 2
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

The only change is Woodgate for Bassong. If we can't get 3 points today, we might as well pack it in for the season.

We are favored as a pick em. Portsmouth are 11-5 dogs. We attack.

3 min: Defoe outruns the defense on a break away. Adriano does the same down the middle. He stays onsides, gets the centering pass. Nobody is on him....and he pooches it. What an asshole.

13 min: Defoe with a can't miss opportunity from 5 feet in front of the keeper, all alone. He misses.

18 in: Muntari to Defoe. He lets off a shot. The keeper deflects it. Lennon finds it at his foot and he cleans it up! Finally a GOAL!!!! 1-0

32 min: Defoe with a steal. He passes it off to Adriano who is inches wide after he faked the keeper out and sent him the wrong way. What is wrong with Adriano today??

HT: Honestly, this game should be 4-0. The good news is that Portsmouth has not had a credible chance in the first half. I hate to switch, but I am going to change to a control strategy. I am not confident in scoring again, and just want to avoid giving one up.

59 min: Funny game. All those easy opportunities in the first half and we couldn't finish. Now, Bale tries to make a pass, it takes a weird deflection off the defender, lands at Defoe's feet in the middle of the pitch with nobody near him. He beats the keeper. 2-0

61 min: Ekotto makes the steal and moves it forward, getting it over to Lennon. Lennon with his speed just dashes down the right sideline, centers for Defoe. A perfect finish! 3-0

68 min: I bring Pavly in for Adriano and little used Dawson in for Woodgate. Just to give some bench players some playing time.

87 min: Bassong in for Corluka.

FT: We just waste time and run out the clock. A precious 3 points. Perhaps I shouldn't attack so much and just stick with the control strategy a bit more?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #92
law90026
College Benchwarmer

There's always something to play for. Getting good league positions will increase your club's reputation, which in turn reduces the chances of your players wanting to leave and allowing you to buy other players more easily (in the sense they are willing to come play for you).

For England, it will be positions 5 and 6 that get spots in the Europa Cup along with the FA Cup winner. The League Cup no longer gives a european place.

Re Control: Personally, I think it's a good option if you're playing a weaker team that is going to counter-attack against you. The idea behind it from what I understand is that you are going to take your time to build your attacks and that reduces the chances of a breakaway by the other side.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #93
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

April 4, 2010

TV Match

Man City (3rd) at Tottenham (9th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
DC King 3
DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 2.5
*ML Assou-Ekotto 2.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

Basically, I am just going to make our midfield as strong as possible without Modric, by moving Ekotto up there and then playing Bale at DL.

Man City are 6-4 favorites. We are 13-8 dogs. We are going to try a counter strategy. We have a couple good forwards and a very speedy right midfielder. I don't expect to win anyway, so I might as well try something different.

11 min: Both teams feeling each other out a bit early on. We have a free kick at midfield. Palacios gets it in the center and passes left to Adriano. He passes across the box to a cutting Defoe. Defoe goes right, and beats the keeper!! We take an early lead! 1-0

That is Defoe's 20th goal of the season.

12 min: Our lead is very short lived. Man City take the ensuing kickoff and I think we were still celebrating. Wright-Phillips buries an easy one. 1-1

42 min: A lack of action for a good while. Here, Adriano centers for Palacios, who is trailing the play and is still outside of the box. His attempt goes flying over.

HT: I don't see any need to make changes at this point.

64 min: Gomes has to make 2 fairly routine stops in a row. Adriano is shaken up on the play, so I replace him with Crouch.

71 min: Corluka has it stolen from him deep in our own territory. I think it is going to cost us, but their shot goes a hair wide.

73 min: Gomes has to make another great save, tipping it over the bar for a corner.

76 min: We are under heavy pressure for the last 4 minutes. A bad defensive positioning give up an open look, but Gomes turns it aside again.

85 min: We work so hard to cross midfield, then work our way forward. As soon as Defoe gets the ball, way out of the box none the less, he rips a useless shot.

89 min: We have a throw in. Ekotto to Crouch to Defoe who turns and fires. Oh....just inches wide.

FT: I can't really complain with the draw. I'll take my 1 point and hopefully this gives the team confidence when we go against Chelsea in a couple weeks.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #94
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

10 days until the Semi-Finals. Adriano tells the fans he will have to watch from the sidelines due to the injury he picked up against Man City.

I plan on using Crouch to fill in. Pavly will be ready as a sub.

Modric is back to full training, so he should be ready for the match.

We have a home match against Hull, 3 days before the match against Chelsea. I'll probably try to get my key players as much time off as possible in that game.

April 10, 2010

Hull (15th) at Tottenham (8th)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
*DC Bassong 2.5
DR Corluka 2.5
*ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
*ST Crouch 2.5
ST Defoe 3

OK, I lied. I want this win, so I play my best guys. I will make use of all three subs though.

We are favored 4-6. Hull are 7-2 dogs. We will try to use the control strategy again today.

10 min: Palacios to Crouch. Crouch beats the keeper, but can't be the right post of the goal. It bounces way up and Hull clears it out.

17 min: Palacios and Lennon both get a couple good rips on goal, but their keeper comes up big both times.

19 min: Modric beats his man and races down the left sideline. He passes to Crouch who is just inside the box, also on the left side. Crouch looks confused, but he makes a move, sheds his defender and beats the keeper, barely, but it is a GOAL! 1-0

25 min: Lennon runs down the right sideline, passes to Defoe. Defoe to Crouch who is blazing in from the left. Crouch takes a second, fires and.....GOAL! 2-0

38 min: Hull answer back here with a goal. It was off a throw in, and the pass was to a Hull player inside the small goalkeeper box. Gomes couldn't do a thing. But the goal has been disallowed! Offsides. (I thought so!)

39 min: On the ensuing goal kick, we race up field with Crouch feeding Modric who is cutting in from the left. When this guy is focused he is as good as anyone. Modric put it way and we are up 3-0.

HT: Bale in for Modric. I need Modric fresh as possible for Chelsea.

56 min: Bentley in for Lennon. Pavly in for Crouch.

70 min: Defoe passes off to Bale, who subbed in for Modric at the half. Bale shoots to the close side of the goal and beats the keeper! The rout is on, 4-0

FT: We just kill time the rest of the way and pick up 3 points with a nice easy win.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #95
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We get word that our game with Chelsea is expected to draw 90,000 fans to Wembley. That would be a sell-out and the biggest crowd most of my guys have ever played in front off.

The fans seem pessimistic about our chances. Perhaps I am overrating my squad, but I think we can make this a knock down ugly match and sneak something out in extra time or penalty kicks.

Chelsea played on the 11th of the month and lost on the road. We last played on the 10th, at home and won, obviously. So we have an extra day of rest and are coming off a good result.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #96
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

April 14, 2010

TV Match
FA Cup Semi-Finals
Wembley Stadium

Chelsea vs Tottenham

GK Gomes 3.5
DL Ekotto 2.5
DC King 3
*DC Woodgate 3
DR Corluka 2.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
MC Palacios 3
MR Lennon 3
ST Crouch 2.5
ST Defoe 3

That is the very best lineup I have available to me today.

Chelsea are 4-5 favorites. We are 3-1 dogs. We'll try to counter, as we did against Man City to get the draw.

10 min: The first chance of the game goes to Chelsea and they just outplay us, work it inside for a great shot and Gomes can't come up with it. 0-1

Nightmare start. Oh, and it was Landon Donovan who scored. Bastard!

15 min: We have a corner kick. Crouch gets to it, but their keeper makes an incredible save to tip it over the bar. So close!

32 min: We withstand some decent pressure by Chelsea and Gomes comes up with a couple of saves. We get an attack going, but Modric can't finish. It wasn't a clean look anyhow.

41 min: We switch to a control strategy. My hope is that it limits Chelsea's chances. We cannot give up that 2nd goal.

HT: Our two strikers are tired. Pavly will probably end up coming in for one of them soon. No changes right now though.

61 min: Defoe gets banged up. Pavly in. We switch to a standard strategy.

63 min: Lennon centers for Crouch, but he puts it a bit wide. How are we going to find that one goal???

72 min: Lennon fires one over. We are getting desperate. I switch to an overload strategy. It is do or die time.

85 min: Modric is cutting in from the left with the ball. It is clear in front of him. I pray. He fires. It is over the keeper, it clips the top of the bar, hits the pitch and bounces away safely. That was probably our last shot.

Huddlestone in for Muntari and Gusjohnsen for Crouch. I try to get some real fresh legs in for a couple of very tired players.

FT: It sucks that we couldn't even manage a single goal today. The dream is over.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #97
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

April 17, 2010

TV Match
Tottenham (8th) at Liverpool (1st)

GK Gomes 3.5
*DL Bale 2
*DC Bassong 3
*DC Dawson 2.5
*DR Walker 1.5
ML Modric 4.5
MC Muntari 3.5
*MC Huddlestone 2.5
MR Lennon 3
*ST Adriano 3.5
ST Defoe 3

Lots of new faces for this game. We have virtually no chance today.

Liverpool are 4-5 favorites. Tottenham are 3-1 dogs. If my board and fans were smart, they would bet every penny on Liverpool today.

We will try the counter strategy again.

We are speeding things up here for the last 4 games of the season....

HT: A few decent chances both ways, but the half arrives with a 0-0 stalemate. I'll take it. No hcanges as of yet.

55 min: Liverpool finally beat my second team defense on a corner kick. 0-1

61 min: Babel with his second goal for Liverpool. 0-2

91 min: They get a penalty kick to add insult to injury. 0-3.

FT: I've had it with this season. I am looking forward to the offseason and see what we can do to improve.

I go on vacation for our next 3 games.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #98
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Pack up and take a holiday back to the States. My cell phone is on hand to keep tabs on things back at Tottenham.

April 24, 2010
Tottenham 4 – Birmingham 2

We sit in 8th place still. 3 clear from 9th place and 3 behind 8th place West Ham, who has played one less game.

May 1, 2010
Tottenham 1 – Bolton 2

Liverpool has 'done the double' whatever that might mean. I do know that they have clinched the Premier League Title.

May 9, 2010

Tottenham 0 – Chelsea 1

We finish in 9th place.

We get a check for $20,450,000 for our league position. Holy shit!
We pay out $1,700,000 to the team for their league position.

Modric was named to the Premier League “Team of the Year” as a substitute.

Liverpool's manager was named manager of the year. Wonder if I got any votes?

I guess that is it until the World Cup.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #99
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

World Cup 2010
and other Tottenham notes

I list Huddlestone for transfer.

I pick up a cheap transfer from the Liverpool reserve squad.

Palacios was voted Tottenham player of the year.

We get $48.5 million in TV fees for this coming season.

I tell the board I will finish top half this year. They give me a measly 4.4 million in transfer money.

Odds to win Premier League this year:
Man City 7-4
Liverpool 5-2
Chelsea 5-1
Man U 6-1
Arsenal 8-1
Aston Villa 33-1

Tottenham 150-1 LMAO!

I guess I did a good enough job. The board has offered me a new contract: 2 years, $2.9 million per. I take it.

Huddlestone is shipped off to Aston Villa for 12 million. I was fed up with his performances.

Most of this off season is spent rejecting transfer offers that come out of nowhere for my best players.

World Cup Group State Results

Group A
Italy and Chile advance. Ghana does not.

Group B
Denmark and Ivory Coast advance. Spain with 3 draws does not! Japan does not either.

Group C
Argentina and Mexico advance

Group D
Cameroon and Scotland advance. Croatia does not

Group E
Russia and Holland advance

Group F
USA and Paraguay advance. France does not.

Group G
England and Brazil advance.

Group H
Uruguay and Germany advance.

2nd Round Results

Italy beats Ivory Coast
Denmark beats Chile
Argentina beats Scotland
Cameroon beats Mexico
USA beats Holland – GO USA!
Paraguay beats Russia
Brazil beats Uruguay
Germany beats England

Quarter Finals

Italy beats Cameroon
Argentina beats Denmark
Brazil beats Paraguay
Germany beats USA

Semi-Finals

Italy over Germany
Argentina over Brazil

Finals

Italy beats Argentina.

Italy are repeat World Cup Champions!

Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #100
Radii
Head Coach

Good read so far, it sucks being within reach of a goal at the end of a season and coming up short. 150-1 odds, awesome. Good luck in year 2!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote