Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #901
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Why, here's a spare part for our secondary...

Kendrick McCormick

5th round pick next year lands him. Big personality will hopefully fit right in, once we put the pieces fully together.

You might need to edit your trade as you indicated a 5th in 2117...that's this year and you dealt that pick to Cleveland a few seasons ago, Emperor.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #902
QuikSand
lolzcat

roger that, thanks
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #903
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hey, who's this?

S Jake Conners

Ours for next year's 6th...
Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #904
QuikSand
lolzcat

i fuckin love this garbage
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #905
QuikSand
lolzcat

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LCB Jack Phillips
2 years, $18,000,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $9.0M, $9.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Wayne Willing
2 years, $8,900,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $4.4M, $4.4M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Brett Wolf
2 years, $6,300,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.9M, $3.4M.)

So, we get a couple camp arms. Maybe more than that?

And a camp cover-guy. Meh.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #906
QuikSand
lolzcat

...tough to see me being "Willing" to go with a new face at QB with a low AvInt rating, just kicking the tires. The other stiff is a novelty play to go with a Romulus/Remus QB tandem, but I'll fall out of love with that idea, I'm sure.

CB could stick, big picks, who knows?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #907
QuikSand
lolzcat

Biggest actual news is that AVAILABLE swooped in and grabbed last year's starting C Moe Cebelak. No crisis, I was leaning toward a younger guy anyway, but this presses the issue and maybe pushes us to grab a free agent OL somewhere.

From a cohesion standpoint, this is feeling like a big fat lost season. Watch us still go 9-7 and undermine all the bullshit I've been spending tons of time on.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #908
QuikSand
lolzcat

Side note:

Why does this guy get a fat deal?
http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=82602

Team is one of those throw-every-play deals... but this guy seems to be decent RR and little else except high leadership but no personality. (And no apparent benefits from his leadership - one affinity, one QB match, one potential conflict)

Why did this guy get paid, by a paying-attention owner, a fat two year deal in his 12th season? What am I missing?
Old 05-21-2020, 02:30 AM   #909
tzach
High School JV

i think it's just a chemistry move by messiah -- the other rec LEA options are worse. no one else in FA could take the LEA from the stud TE and still make affs.

http://gml.fof-belco.com/chemistryse...=4&position5=5

it does make the starting QB an affinity as you pointed out, which cannot be underestimated.

Last edited by tzach : 05-21-2020 at 02:30 AM.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #910
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
i think it's just a chemistry move by messiah -- the other rec LEA options are worse. no one else in FA could take the LEA from the stud TE and still make affs.

http://gml.fof-belco.com/chemistryse...=4&position5=5

it does make the starting QB an affinity as you pointed out, which cannot be underestimated.

fair enough

and on the last point... hmmmmm...
Old 05-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #911
QuikSand
lolzcat

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WLB George Harada
3 years, $36,600,000 (Bonus: $23.1M. Salary: $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LCB Corey Hicks
2 years, $5,520,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
FS Dustin Padilla
2 years, $5,520,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LDE Isaac Pearson
2 years, $8,220,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $3.8M, $4.4M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
FS Craig Vance
2 years, $7,130,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $3.4M, $3.8M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WILB Shane Wilkerson
2 years, $7,540,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $3.8M, $3.8M.)

...so, notes below:

LB Harada is a very welcome pickup at a position where we are aging rapidly. The other two bidders went $11m, I went $12+ and won. Coverage first guy, but that's ok for me on a winning team, which we hope to be again soon. Important signing.

S Padilla is an end-of-the-active-roster talent, with big chemistry numbers (4-5 group, 78 leadership, 97 personality). We will give him a look, maybe slot him in as the nickel back this year, and it's possible he's an important chem guy for us. I have been picking guys from the 4-5 group assuming my leader is from elsewhere... this guy could either complement or muck up that loose plan. But he's here for chemistry, and maybe worthy of the starts he'll need to activate it.

CB Hicks looks like a longshot, but is in for chem.

S Vance is here just for camp, we'll see if he might have a future in our chemistry plans, but it will depend on his training regimen. Think pasta.

...we actually miss out on a few other players in this stage, nothing huge just some guys who might have fit in as decent end-of-bench types, mostly. Let a run-blocking FB get away, might piss me off if I do, indeed, decide that this team's fixing to go all Ground Chuck this year.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #912
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, situation pretty normal as we wrap up free agency.

If we make a few base assumptions - our draftees will work out at least well enough to slot in if not start right away, nobody completely disappears in preseason - then our roster is basically set. I mean, we have to weed through the riffraff at QB and decide what third-best solution to go with, and we need to make a decision at DB about just dumping all our old guys and going super young (very much in play). But overall, not looking for a lot more here.

Late free agency is always a spot for me - I tend to find these high affinity, some potential, marginal players here - either as 8th rounders or in the mix among the players released after failing to get re-signed as RFAs. Either way, I'm usually lured into at least a couple borderline guys here - and DB seems like an obvious place for that to happen. Would love to find a hey-what-the-heck guy at QB again, like the last time I was in this exact situation, when we grabbed Jimmy Mc off the scrapheap, and started him as an undrafted rookie to pretty acceptable results. That would be great... but no reason to bank on it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #913
QuikSand
lolzcat

In side news, I'm letting WR Dugas explore free agency. His RFA request was close to $12m/yr and... I don't know whether that makes sense. Plus, I'm closing in on moving my chem lead to the 6-7 group, which would neuter him there. A guy I was once really high on, now working his way out of my plans. Looking at you, BJ Woods, to step in here, well... unless...
Old 05-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #914
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, a bit to see here as we wrap up early free agency... guys in the 40s and 50s:

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RCB Douglas Alexander
3 years, $21,000,000 (Bonus: $30K. Salary: $7.0M, $7.0M, $7.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
SE Rex Holtz
2 years, $20,000,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $10.0M, $10.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WILB Chad May
3 years, $18,000,000 (Bonus: $30K. Salary: $6.0M, $6.0M, $6.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LDE Justics Scott
3 years, $21,000,000 (Bonus: $30K. Salary: $7.0M, $7.0M, $7.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
MLB Brett Wallace
1 year, $7,000,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $7.0M.)

Here's the rundown:

CB Alexander is a solid 7th veteran auditioning for the CB1/2 role. Only a few bars, but they're good ones.

WR Holtz is a few-bar guy as well, but I like his skill set, and he might indeed push us toward using TE Austin as our 6-7 leader this year, as Holtz is another 2-3 guy who would need that to "click."

LB May is an 8th year guy with good ratings in RunD and Zone. That and an affinity is enough for a look here. Younger and I'd be clearing space.

DL Scott is safety net if we are simply too thin at DL, candidate to get pushed out by a youngster if we land someone useful in this next stage.

LB Wallace is a let's-have-a-look-see project. Not the guy I wanted for this role, but I lost out on another coverage-first LB who looked like he could have been my next free safety. We will trot Wallace out with the secondary, and see if we have something there. (looking unlikely at 230 lbs)
Old 05-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #915
QuikSand
lolzcat

With our rookie draftees, I was braced for disappointment upon seeing each guy's "consensus" ratings, which both looked weaker than my scout's. So it goes, but neither looks awful. I think long term both will remain useful, but instead of nabbing a CB1 and TE1 for the next decade, I suspect they will be more like CB2 and TE2/1. Both are conspicuously lacking in maxed-out ratings, rather are plentiful in the "useful range of relevant stuff" which is fine for your 3rd round pick, but seems disappointing with guys from the top 40 selections.

(edit to add: Just so disappointing with this FB/TE guy... my staff is really good at scouting, and they see several MAX ratings for him - PassB, RR, 3DC, End, ST. Now that I get my sneak peek, I see the real assessment is that he projects in the 70s/80s in each of those...basically the low end of a wide range. And with many of those grading out like RR at 21/77, he might actually top out at only, what, 55 or 60? Sucks)

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-22-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #916
QuikSand
lolzcat

Side note: CB Wiggins is an intriguing 91/93 in his chemistry ratings, meaning he will be tough to keep out of leadership there if he really sticks. We'll have time to sort that out, but I suspect building around a 4-5 leader there would be okay.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 AM   #917
QuikSand
lolzcat

Gonna have to think through RB, too. Brace yourself, Chas.

Swapping our WR gimp over to slot at inactive RB would let us release both Roberts and Podolyak, both 6th year players making real money but projecting to slot at RB3 and RB4 going forward. Very hard to see them being in our plans much past this year, and if this is looming as a lost season anyhow... maybe we just tear off the bandage here.

Weakness in this plan is that the WR gimp is a 9th year guy, he might not last past this season if slotted at RB and carries a rating or something like 2/2.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #918
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Good luck with Sexy Rexy at WR, we just couldn't get much out of him while he was in Cleveland. Maybe the END bar? I dunno.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #919
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Eh... Podolyak can skedaddle... I'll find someone new to grasp onto for no apparent reason...
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #920
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Good luck with Sexy Rexy at WR, we just couldn't get much out of him while he was in Cleveland. Maybe the END bar? I dunno.

Right now, my plan is to use him exactly one formation - the slot in our 3WR setup. Hoping to outplay the low endurance somehow - he seems like he's got the right skills to give me 700 yards on 80 targets there. Well, with Teddy maybe. With a hobo passer, maybe 550 yards.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #921
QuikSand
lolzcat

One that got away?

Chicago Bears
rgvicedo
QB Jackson Denny
2 years, $8,990,000 (Bonus: $780K. Salary: $3.8M, $4.4M.)

Through every stage of early free agency, I was the only bidder, offering minsal, to this 2-3 group QB. I felt like he had a shot at being our guy for a couple of years, especially as I am drifting my chem leadership from 2-3 to 6-7 in the WR/TE group (this is really close to being a done deal).

Then, in the last stage, after this guy ignores my offers, Chicago swings by with a more legitimate offer, and I'm left holding the bag. Okay, then. No individual part of this makes sense to me - why wait until then, the guy wasn't listed as having a stage preference, he was just one of those generic nobodies out there asking for a contract.

Anyhow, no point in being miserable. And no reason to think he would have been super special.

But part of my mental plan at QB was to at least consider throwing him in to start this year, and see if that either bought us some time, or popped up as the "next guy" for the franchise.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #922
QuikSand
lolzcat

Chemistry Planning

(hey, if you're still reading, imma just go ahead with this stuff, you can't hate it that much)

QB - We are basically rudderless at QB. Had built the whole offense around having 6-7 QBs. Now, no real plan.

RB - Flexible. We could move our current WR leader over and he'd be strong, high personality gimp from the 2-3 group. Current leader also 2-3 but weaker. No long term plan, really, either.

WR/TE - Feels right to let TE Austin take over, he's a 6-7 guy and the group works fine around him. He's 97 personality, high cohesion, and could give us 5+ more seasons. That's the default plan now.

OL - Big problems, as all our talent is in the 6-7 group and I am just bereft of a good complementary leader after our current guy splits. In theory, we'd plug in a guy to take the job once we have our QB in place... with a 4-5 QB we'd just go grab a 2-3 OL leader. But the league is just really short on such guys, and our best player T Shepherd is an 85 leadership, meaning the bar is set high. This is not going to work out easily.

D7 - This year is fine, as Tanner is a great 7-8 leader. He's 13th year, and after he goes... first option is to try to replace him with another 7-8 leader. There's no long term solution on our roster now, and I haven't found a lady-in-waiting exactly, either. We're denser with 8-9 talent than 11-12, so moving the reins to an 11-12 guy is in play, if needed, but not ideal.

DB - We're already underway with this plan, switching wholesale to the 2-3/4-5/6-7 group over the next season or so. Still unsure who will be the leader here - draft pick was a 4-5 and I have focused on getting guys from that group, so ideally we'll either just stick with the star CB Lentzner (2-3, 73/82) or someone from the 6-7 group as the long term leadership guy here.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #923
QuikSand
lolzcat

The possible "go with it" secondary this year, if we just cut/deal our veteran leadership and commit fully to the new chemistry plan:

Roster Page

Cuts: S Douglas, S Thomas, CB Creel - all must go to clear way for new chem leadership... then 12th year CB Shlecta and 8th yr S Wilson go because no future

CB1 Phillips
CB2 Alexander?
NCB Lentzner
DCB Wiggins
xCB Hicks

SS McCormick
FS Conners
S Padilla

Okay, this isn't AWFUL. Like, if Wiggins were to please me with a +8 camp and look like he'll really develop, then I could see us being pretty happy overall with most of these guys racking up cohesion together. We're probably one high level talent away from having a "plus" unit, but not all that far, all told.

Now, CB Phillips and especially Alexander are weak links. They're 8th/7th year guys, so do we want to invest in them only to see them start fading as this team really gets its act together in another few seasons? Not sure. And one of them will be chem neutral this year. So - it's more likely, I think, that I just dump one of them and plug Wiggins in to play CB2 this year, and then ask Padilla to play at the nickel/dime back slot.

But long term, I'd be really happy, I think, if we ended up with a roster in five years that looked something like (CAPS as placeholders):

CB1 STAR
CB2 Wiggins
NCB Lentzner
SS McCormick
FS SOLID
xCB SOLID, Padilla, Vaughn (PR/ST)
xS Conners, ST GUY

That's not all that much work to do, given a total reboot this offseason.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #924
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, late free agency... had to hold my breath, I was interested in a guy. And we land him:

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Amir Walsh
1 year, $8,800,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $8.8M.)

So, what do we have here? You don't get a scouted rating here, but I can sneak peek one...

Well, he's got 68 Sense Rush, for any team that's important, but for one with a run-first OL bent, even more so. So, not elite, but for an 8th rounder, strong. Rest looks okay, nothing too special. Might run around a little bit, but no other ratings over 50. So, probably nothing much to see here.

Also...no other offers. Bad sign. If he were the guy I had been hoping he was, we would have seen Ben or tzach or a couple of these guys nibbling around for a look.

Can't rule out us giving him a shot this year, but there's no real reason to think we have our next Jimmy Mc here. Dang.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #925
QuikSand
lolzcat

Late free agency, our whole success story:

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Amir Buckley
2 years, $5,540,000 (Bonus: $40K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.9M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
C Johnathan Compton
2 years, $5,400,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.7M, $2.7M.)

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RB Vinny Connell
1 year, $6,000,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $6.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LCB Gus Dawson
3 years, $16,500,000 (Bonus: $4.5M. Salary: $4.0M, $4.0M, $4.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RT Caiden Jennings
2 years, $4,750,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.2M, $2.6M.)

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
LDE Kristopher Knabe
2 years, $5,160,000 (Bonus: $20K. Salary: $2.6M, $2.6M.)

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
WILB Giovanni Roybal
3 years, $16,040,000 (Bonus: $6.0M. Salary: $2.9M, $3.4M, $3.8M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RDE Gavin Schneider
2 years, $12,000,000 (Bonus: $4.0M. Salary: $4.0M, $4.0M.)
Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
RDT Luis Terrell

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
C Russell Vanderpool

Baltimore Ravens
QuikSand
QB Amir Walsh
1 year, $8,800,000 (Bonus: $0K. Salary: $8.8M.)

...so notes here where worthy:

CB Gus Dawson is a guy we really wanted. Actually sent a trade inquiry to his team sitting on him as a RFA, but it got missed/ignored. I guess I'm glad, now we've got him for nothing except maybe a little extra cap on the had-to-have deal. I have mixed feelings about cover men with no zone ratings (it seems hard to avoid them needing it at least sometimes) but what I wanted here was his chemistry. At 83 leadership and 93 personality, I believe he can and will be our long term DB leader from the 6-7 group. Have been building toward him for a while, without saying so here.

QB Buckley is just a camp arm with the same first name as the guy I coveted...now we could go with an Amirate, or with Wolf Brothers.

4th year DE Schneider is a pass-rushing specialist, which I felt we needed, but probably not a long term asset, with his chem mix of 95/68... I'm unlikely to settle for a 68 personality leader. But with 88 PRTech, he may earn a role this year on the edge. Given the look (weak) of my other DL pickups, I give him a solid shot of sticking for a couple seasons.

LB Roybal was an oversight, had planned to re-sign him as a RFA, but he comes back for a decent salary. Decent, not great, but at position with pending depth problems, so cohesion seems worth it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-25-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #926
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
might fuck around and just start over in a position group

+1
Old 05-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #927
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
+1

i think the urge has subsided... file sent without any such chicanery
Old 05-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #928
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wouldn't this guy have looked great in Ravens purple, playing as our free safety? Almost had him, but a late real-money offer showed up.

No clue if he could have shed 10 pounds and made the position switch seamlessly, but if so... could have been a major diamond in the rough for us.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #929
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, camp is done. Will sift through the minutae of weight changes and so forth, but now we have to make the cutdown to 60. I think this is where I start making decisions about "now" versus "later" but you can see where I'm already focused, in that respect.

I have talked myself into being flexible at QB for the longer term ride. I really would like to plug in a guy to this chemistry framework, but I have to recognize that I have a serious OL worry coming up anyway - so the system there may be in need of a reboot regardless. If we were to totally walk out of the 2-3/4-5/6-7 group there... wold I be open to taking a QB who's, say, a 12-1 guy? This season might yield a chance to go get a QB if we end up with pick 12 or something like that...am I ready to just go BQBA independent of chemistry? Would I inevitably end up bending our entire system around the new cat? Would I enjoy doing that?
Old 05-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #930
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, here's your look at QB Amir Walsh...

You can probably see what I like about him, to the tune of almost $9m. Thing is, I see him as a click less than this screen does... and my staff is good at scouting (HC ~90, OC ~70, AC ~87). So... I think these are red flags. If he tops out at 40 or so in things like Accuracy... is that a guy I could see starting for years?

Oh, and Ben's embedded formula to back out the Avoid Interceptions rating? Pegs him at 34... not 64, not 54. Again... my guy?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #931
QuikSand
lolzcat

Unsurprisingly, we are indeed ripping off the bandage with the DB chemistry setup. Couldn't get any takers for my DB vets, so I'm just cutting everyone.

That will press CB Douglas Alexander into the chem lead for now. If we end up cutting him after preseason (in play) then that would push new face Lentzner into the chem lead, for now. Lentzner is 5th year 73 leadership, and Dawson is 4th/83. So, once Dawson gets his starts, he'll take over either this year or (I'd think) next. The plan is to build around Dawson as the group leader, from the 6-7 group. Fingers crossed that he comes through this offseason still looking like a credible guy to see the field here and there.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #932
QuikSand
lolzcat

Our pre-season releases posted here without detailed comment... if you've been paying attention, nothing shocking here, but these are consequential for the team short term.

Baltimore Ravens
C Johnathan Compton
Baltimore Ravens
RCB Harris Creel
Baltimore Ravens
FS Riley Douglas
Baltimore Ravens
LDE Kristopher Knabe
Baltimore Ravens
RB Glenn Podolyak
Baltimore Ravens
LCB Eugene Slechta
Baltimore Ravens
LDE Luis Terrell
Baltimore Ravens
SS Thomas Thomas
Baltimore Ravens
FS Craig Vance
Baltimore Ravens
MLB Brett Wallace
Baltimore Ravens
QB Wayne Willing
Baltimore Ravens
SS Jeremiah Wilson
Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #933
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Glenn Podolyak...

#1432 in the scorebook, #1 in our hearts...

Prosper, young man
Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #934
QuikSand
lolzcat

Our QB setup is just a blurry mess. It's really hard to envision any of these guys being "important" pieces of whatever we are doing in 2-4 seasons (yes, I am starting to think about an "arrival" window, yet again. So, what do we do in the meantime? Here's the basic case for each potential starter for this season, including riffraff side considerations.

Richie Bryant has paid his dues, and that means he'd be GREAT for cohesion. Not to be trifled with, this had been the post-Teddy plan. Decent argument he's our wisest play for this year to be 7-9 rather than 5-11. I don't love it.

Ivan Wolf made the team last year as QB3, because I felt he had a shot to be our short term guy, at least. My scout sees him 31/35, a click less impressive than the link above. Strong triple affinity. In play. The other Wolf guy is an amusing tag-along and not inconceivable on talent/fit grounds.

Amir Walsh was my Hail Mary. Had really hoped he might look like a useful player at this point. Instead, he looks like...idano...a "project" guy? Low personality, unimpressive AvInt rating (low 30s, but better than the other two guys to be fair)...enigma.

One more element here... Bryant is a 6-7 guy, the Wolfs are both 4-5 guys, Amir is a 2-3. If I knew for sure my long term chem plans at QB, it might influence my leadership decisions elsewhere on offense. It's possible the cart might help drive the horse, somewhat, for a bit.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #935
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
Glenn Podolyak...

#1432 in the scorebook, #1 in our hearts...

Prosper, young man

Productive player, though, right? Just use his per-play stats, and imagine if he could do that as a full-duty RB1. He'd be something like... 240 carries for 1,150 yards rushing... 60 targets for 40 catches and 320 yards... 6 TDs. That would be a second/third round draft pick in fantasy football, right?

Saaaaa-lute.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #936
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, file not finished yet. But plan now is: Ivan Wolf gets the start this year. Amir Walsh will make the team, and will get another look next season as we continue to evolve our chemistry.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #937
QuikSand
lolzcat

File sent. Wolf is in, my IRL son Ivan is very excited. That played a role.

I did not rework the offense this year, just didn't get to it. In theory, peppering in more running might have been wise. Instead, we'll just run our base setup and hope for the best.

Some stat line guesses:

QB Wolf posts 3,900 yards on 6.6 ypt, 23/18 and 77 rating
RB Liversurst gets 1,100 yards on 4.8 ypc, 7 TD
WR Holtz hangs 80 targets, 55 catches, 550 yards and 6 TD
DE Mealey and Schneider team up for 7 sacks on only 18 tackles
CB Wiggins solid with 3 picks and PD% near 80
PR Vaughn with 16 yard average, 1 TD
PK Thomas with 26/30 FG again solidly over 80%
Old 05-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #938
QuikSand
lolzcat

However, we'll be underwater on turnovers almost for certain, and not dominating anywhere, so I will hazard a guess we go 6-10, and earn ourselves a middling pick around 1.10. Hoping I'm off and there's enough underneath it all to propel us to 8 or 9 wins, but I just don't think so.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #939
QuikSand
lolzcat

...okay, 8-8 isn't awful. Well, unless the QB of my dreams manages to slide into pick 10 but not pick 17 or whatever we end up with. On the surface we apparently were the absolute prototype 8-8 mediocre club. Given the changes we made under the hood, that's pretty good.

GML: Baltimore Ravens 2117

My thoughts:

QB Wolf - maybe I haven't been giving Teddy enough credit...Ivan Wolf barely ekes out 6 ypa, terrible in my book, and we are mid-league in offense (again, awful)...he's sneaky effective toting the rock, though

Running game disappointing, w/Liverwurst only getting 3.4 ypc - I'll tally that up to the miserable OL but geez. And he'll want a fat contract next year...way to go get it there, buddy.

Receiving...nobody good on a weak season, naturally. WR Holtz was good enough as our primary slot guy, TE Ogden was rookie-like with a heavy load, nothing impressive there.

OL stats tell us little, except maybe sacks... our 7.1% sacks allowed was 3rd worst in the league. Just a year to forget there. Running game also sucked, despite me being happy with my "talent" there. O'Donnell does look like a slowly developing star, so that's good.

Pass rush was totally anemic... like historically low, 3.2% sacks, tied for worst. Wow. Helming is really good, he needs to get back out there full time - my tandem of Schneider and Mealey were ear-pinners but only 6 combined sacks as the edge guys in both 3WR and 3rd-and-long formations (458 snaps).

Secondary was...not awful? Maybe actually pretty good? Rookie Wiggins delivered a solid rookie season, other riffraff guys posted nice composite stats with their PD% up in the 80 range. I don't have any explanation here, but that's really encouraging. Like, only Conners (45 catches allowed) seemed like a weak link... are these other guys actually worth something? (Side note - I flubbed Dawson a bit, and failed to get him his starts to activate his leadership, so another season ahead of building around phantom affinities, I fear)

PR Vaughn... ugh, I don't want to talk about it. I apparently just overlooked this window, and failed to put him in as our punt returner. He got a handful of kickoff returns and managed to peel one for a TD... but dammit. That's obviously my fault, thought I tended to everything. (WR BJ Woods posted 14 per PR, despite his middling 38/41 rating there)

Okay...we had no expectation of this being a great year. It wasn't. But we have done some foundation work, I think. (codespeak there) Ivan Wolf is signed for one more minsal season... my guess is that's his shelf life. If I had faith in my drafting prowess, I'd be thinking about a really heavy draft to go and load up all these positions where we are building (DB, OL) ... but given the hand I'm dealt there, we might just remain in the moneyball game, per usual.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #940
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oh, in oddly related news:

2117 Wild Card Round: KickStand has the conn in Washington.

...gonna blaze a trail and run two teams in this league, or at least give it the ol' college try. I reckon it would be too crazy to document both teams here.

...right? right?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #941
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Need... more... content...

Podolyak sign up with those guys by any chance?

LOL
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 PM   #942
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Going the "chem" route?
Old 05-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #943
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Oh, in oddly related news:

2117 Wild Card Round: KickStand has the conn in Washington.

...gonna blaze a trail and run two teams in this league, or at least give it the ol' college try. I reckon it would be too crazy to document both teams here.

...right? right?

I'd be very interested to see what happened if you ran a non-chem team. Is that the plan?
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #944
QuikSand
lolzcat

Let's just say I have done some quick exploration into chemistry options...

Old 05-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #945
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti View Post
Need... more... content...

Podolyak sign up with those guys by any chance?

LOL

Nope, GP wasn't good enough, by the league scouts, to make a roster. I guess he's done. Well, in FOF he could sit around with intact ratings for a couple years on the bench, but I'm the wrong guy to complain about that.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #946
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, in the playoff stage - the zombie Browns win it all again, good for them.

Ravens go and grab a slew of youngsters for a look next year.

The DC team submits a file to do so very extensively... file is showing up as having been used, but no transactions. Perhaps an override. Or perhaps the file problems I had (no gameplan) resulted in our submitting am empty file in error. Ugh, regardless... was trying to make at least 20 moves there.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #947
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So, in the playoff stage - the zombie Browns win it all again, good for them.

Ravens go and grab a slew of youngsters for a look next year.

The DC team submits a file to do so very extensively... file is showing up as having been used, but no transactions. Perhaps an override. Or perhaps the file problems I had (no gameplan) resulted in our submitting am empty file in error. Ugh, regardless... was trying to make at least 20 moves there.

Bug Ben as he may have forgotten to take them off of autopilot.

Go Browns!

Err...I mean, go Vikes!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #948
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Bug Ben

reserving this little point of inspiration for future use
Old 05-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #949
QuikSand
lolzcat

Retirements:

LB Tanner - no shock, leaves a leadership-sized hole at the position, major
T Newson - after-season add-on, 6th year guy who looked promising, meh

Absent from list of retirements:

OL Dotson - now 12th year guy, sticks around, one more year of good chem!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #950
QuikSand
lolzcat

DC BUREAU

side note here that I spent an hour of time on a post-regular-season file for WAS, but it apparently didn't click... so the 20+ transactions didn't happen...nothing shocking, but we would have had a lot of young birds-in-hand RFA guys on that roster to fiddle around with, had we landed 15 cheap young'ns... some will retire, some will end up coming to camp with us anyhow, but it's a missed opportunity (and a waste of my time)

I blame technical issues...I tried to submit my file, got an error since I had no playbook, once Ben helped me fix that I just clicked to upload my file and I'm betting it had been vacated, and I uploaded a null stage file. Dammit.