Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
no Trout option I take it...

it was TROUT YOU!

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:54 PM   #52
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

"We need to make sure that abortion does not become legal in our state, but 58% of the state thinks it should be legal."

"Well, that's simple, we just make it that they need 60%. Easy"

(58% of the state votes against the change)

(shocked pikachu face)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:03 PM   #53
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

still have half of cleveland and a third of toledo to count still.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:39 PM   #54
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so I did not know this so did some digging...here are the other states' numbers:

Old 08-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Measure won by nearly 58%, but Kari Lake is already beating the "frard" drum. Republicans never lose elections, they either win or won and was cheated.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:33 AM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Someone should fire that woman into the sun
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #57
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

jesus. the ohio secretary of state is complaining that "dark money" has "flooded into the state" to spread disinformation about issue 1 and that's why it was defeated. These people have no reality.

uggggggggggh

he's doing the trump thing since money from GOP superpacs flooded in here. franted there may have been some aclu or prochoice ads playing i dunno. but as usual any ads about that were giving the facts. That the gop hastily threw this together to stop the abortion ballot and that's all this is about. While the GOP ads were dressed up like "Evil people are here to destroy the constitution". oh yeah? this has been the case for years and it hasn't been destroyed already?
he's saying the constitution is for sale now. um....well...dude that's indeed what lobbyists do.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #58
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Someone should fire that woman into the sun

nice leela reference

Old 08-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No idea what that means.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #60
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If they didn't like losing the referendum by 20-points, they're gonna really hate the results of the abortion amendment this fall
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #61
Edward64
Head Coach

Good move by SCOTUS.

Supreme Court blocks $6 billion opioid settlement that would have given the Sackler family immunity | CNN Politics
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked Purdue Pharma from going forward with bankruptcy proceedings, which the Biden administration has called an “unprecedented” arrangement that would ultimately offer the Sackler family broad protection from opioid-related civil claims.

In agreeing to pause the settlement, the court also said it would take up the case and hear arguments this December.

The case arose after the reorganization in bankruptcy of OxyContin manufacturer Purdue Pharma – stemming from litigation arising from claims over its role in fueling the opioid addiction crisis.
I watched Billy McBride in Goliath. I know he could have gotten at least $15B

Quote:
The family has now agreed to contribute up to $6 billion to Purdue’s reorganization fund on the condition that the Sacklers receive a release from civil liability.
I don't really know who owned or managed or directed whatever. But glad SCOTUS is taking another look at this.

Quote:
“The plan’s release ‘absolutely, unconditionally, irrevocably, fully, finally, forever and permanently releases’ the Sacklers from every conceivable type of opioid-related civil claim – even claims based on fraud and other forms of willful misconduct that could not be discharged if the Sacklers filed for bankruptcy in their individual capacities,” Solicitor General Elizabeth Prelogar argued in court papers.

Prelogar said that the release of the Sacklers is not authorized by the bankruptcy code and constitutes an “abuse of the bankruptcy system.”
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

Still wild that the Sacklers aren't on death row right now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:31 PM   #63
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No idea what that means.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:25 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Not the Supreme Court but another Judge bought and paid for.

Trump Judge’s Anti-Abortion Ruling Followed Payments From Group Leading Case
Old 09-08-2023, 09:42 AM   #65
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

You would think filing lawsuits by creating fake companies with fake grievances in order to set precedences would be highly illegal... but I guess the truth really ain't important in a Conservatives view of American justice.

The Supreme Court’s fake praying coach case just got faker.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #66
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
You would think filing lawsuits by creating fake companies with fake grievances in order to set precedences would be highly illegal... but I guess the truth really ain't important in a Conservatives view of American justice.

Not surprised he ended up in Florida or if he takes a coaching job there when his time in the limelight comes to an end. Or that the Supreme Court won't vacate the verdict now that its been exposed it was a fake from the Christian right. I hope reporters/investigators keep digging and find that it was fake all along.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:44 AM   #67
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

I mentioned this in the Biden thread a few days ago. He's a local coach here so my wife and I had some discussions about it and didn't really see eye to eye, but one thing I was adamant about was he was doing this for money and attention. He was asked to stop, stooped for a while, "prayed about it", decided to keep doing it, was fired, and quickly found himself on right wing and other TV platforms, doing speaking engagements, and interviews. Getting fired was the best thing that ever happened to him financially and taking the job as an assistant high school football coach was a huge paycut from the right wing grift.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #68
RainMaker
General Manager

Not a legal expert but can you just lie in filings like that?
Old 09-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #69
Flasch186
Coordinator

You can because lying is not a sin anymore to Christian’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #70
RainMaker
General Manager

Is it considered perjury? Or an ethical violation? Like can I just make up a story and sue anyone with no repurcussions?
Old 09-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #71
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There's a certain horrendous asymmetry here where a progressive service nonprofit is forced to shut down when a right-wing activist creates doctored videos of its activities, but when right-wing groups now do exactly what that progressive organization was accused of doing (and far worse), they get SCOTUS decisions in their favor.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:05 PM   #72
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is it considered perjury? Or an ethical violation? Like can I just make up a story and sue anyone with no repurcussions?

It's super clear. If you're championing a right-wing cause, or have bought the SCOTUS Justice in question, then you have standing by default (and likely a judgment in your favor). Everyone else only has standing if Gorsuch, Roberts, and Kavanaugh decide it would be a bit much, even for them, to deny it.

It's a lot simpler than having to remember everything about constitutional law.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:20 PM   #73
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Looks like the MAGATs are livid at Barrett and Roberts for siding with the Biden administration on removing the physical barriers that Texas put up on the border.

Amy Coney Barrett Under Fire for Siding With Biden on the Border
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 05:53 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Looks like the MAGATs are livid at Barrett and Roberts for siding with the Biden administration on removing the physical barriers that Texas put up on the border.

Amy Coney Barrett Under Fire for Siding With Biden on the Border

When will those 4 judges get around to reading the Supremacy Clause? Like I know not to take the courts seriously, but even Scalia would have put together some bullshit dissent instead of just ignoring the actual Constitution.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:24 PM   #75
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

TX National Guard is still refusing access and putting up more razor wire.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:32 PM   #76
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
TX National Guard is still refusing access and putting up more razor wire.

Biden should take federal control over the Texas National Guard. Problem solved.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:03 AM   #77
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Alabama Supreme Court, but there's not really a catch all "dumb things conservatives do."

Frozen embryos are now people. Time to start arresting people for disposing of frozen babies.

Alabama frozen embryos ruling: What it means for fertility treatments | AP News
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:20 AM   #78
GrantDawg

To follow that, the state legislature is working to pass a law that would ban many birth-control drugs and devices. Need those women poor and pregnant.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2024, 07:24 AM   #79
GrantDawg

Oh, also to form a registry of women that have had abortions.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:38 AM   #80
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Mandatory Red dresses and bonnets too?
Old 02-21-2024, 09:05 AM   #81
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why on earth would any female want to live in Alabama?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:34 AM   #82
GrantDawg

White women vote for the party that sees them as breeding mares at around a 57% clip. They are the ones sowing the red cloaks and hoods.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:51 PM   #83
GrantDawg

This decision is like extremely bad. Further, the Chief Justice says no law that the legislature could pass can change it, because any law would be unconstitutional.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:46 PM   #84
cuervo72
Head Coach

How is a state constitution based on the Bible even constitutional in the first place?
Old 02-21-2024, 04:41 PM   #85
HerRealName
College Prospect

"Moderate" Nikki Haley agrees with the ruling because she thinks embryos are babies. They are all insane.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 05:51 PM   #86
miked
College Starter

If I did IVF in Alabama and had 10 frozen embryos, I may claim them all as dependents.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:57 PM   #87
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
If I did IVF in Alabama and had 10 frozen embryos, I may claim them all as dependents.

Isn't there someone in Texas suing over being allowed to use the carpool lane while pregnant?
Old 02-21-2024, 06:00 PM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Isn't there someone in Texas suing over being allowed to use the carpool lane while pregnant?

I recall someone did that in Washington State when I lived there and lost.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:53 PM   #89
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I guess if the state legally considers it a human being, then you should be able to drive in the carpool lane.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:33 AM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you're expecting logical consistency out of the Republican Party I have some really bad news for you.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:38 PM   #91
RainMaker
General Manager

Not that it should be surprising but the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court is a hardcore religious nut and a massive racist history.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:48 PM   #92
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
"Moderate" Nikki Haley agrees with the ruling because she thinks embryos are babies. They are all insane.

Sounds like she is trying to do damage control. Article is from Thu (I think before Trump being for IVF).

Nikki Haley says she believes embryos are children but disagrees with Alabama Supreme Court ruling | CNN Politics
Quote:
Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said Thursday that while she personally believes a frozen embryo is a baby, she disagreed with the Alabama Supreme Court’s in vitro fertilization ruling last week and felt it may be time for the state to “go back and look at the law.”

In an interview on CNN’s “The Lead with Jake Tapper,” Haley sought to clarify her initial responses to the ruling, which found that frozen embryos are children in the eyes of the law and those who destroy them can be held to blame for wrongful death.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:26 PM   #93
Atocep
Coordinator

Tuberville was asked about IVF facilities shutting down because of the Alabama ruling and he stated that he agrees with the ruling because we need more kids.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:33 PM   #94
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Sounds like she is trying to do damage control. Article is from Thu (I think before Trump being for IVF).

Nikki Haley says she believes embryos are children but disagrees with Alabama Supreme Court ruling | CNN Politics

Trying to straddle the line here makes her sound even dumber. Pick a side. Her stance is that embryos are babies. That means 8-10 "babies" are killed, on average, for each person getting IVF treatment.

I'm not sure she even knows what her stance is on issues because she dances around every topic trying to appease the GOP base and moderates at the same time.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:01 PM   #95
Edward64
Head Coach

I agree.

I'd like to see the Dems play this out more through Nov. Abortion rights plus IVF inconsistency/hypocrisy is a good rallying issue. I'd like a campaign along the lines of "re-elect Joe to prevent SCOTUS from getting even more extreme, or this stuff will get worse".
Old 02-23-2024, 11:39 PM   #96
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Trying to straddle the line here makes her sound even dumber. Pick a side. Her stance is that embryos are babies. That means 8-10 "babies" are killed, on average, for each person getting IVF treatment.

I'm not sure she even knows what her stance is on issues because she dances around every topic trying to appease the GOP base and moderates at the same time.

They all supported Dobbs which this Alabama decision is based on. They can dance around individual rulings but it all stems from that.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-23-2024 at 11:39 PM.