Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

2K MLB Front Office Manager

Get released in just over a week.

2K Sports - MLB Front Office Manager

I think baseball is by far the funnest game to play GM/Manager. Been bummed since OOTP went from a more MLB style game to catering to the Space Alien Underhand Toss Leagues. Might pick this up and at least give it a whirl. Bit worried that they won't have many of the big prospects in the game though.

Anyone else picking it up?

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good to know it'll be out in a week. I plan to get it. I can't imagine it'll be worse than anything on our radar. If it's a 2k version of FPS Baseball, I can totally handle that. I'm not asking for a lot. I don't like that it's not unlimited years and I doubt the fact that it's not a complete sandbox sim will make me give up the small market sims, but...I am pleased they're doing it and hope they just improve on it.

I like the sandbox mode of OOTP, just hate the execution in other areas as it tries to do too much.

That said, a good MLB sim with the license and all of the other trappings that our games at this level can't get...is well overdue.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-11-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
dervack
College Prospect

It says on the website Jan 26th
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

My bad, thought it was the 20th.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Anyone know what the system requirements are for the PC version?
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Comes out today but it's not getting the greatest reviews... oh well

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I preordered because I'm a glutton for punishment. They said the PC version didn't end up coming today and it'll be in-store tomorrow, so I'll get it then and I'll write a review.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I preordered because I'm a glutton for punishment. They said the PC version didn't end up coming today and it'll be in-store tomorrow, so I'll get it then and I'll write a review.

DC you kill me!

The game will sell somewhat just because it's the first new baseball game of the year.. probably their whole marketing strategy.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If the game was available via download on day one I may have pulled the trigger.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 01-27-2009 at 01:09 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

My problem is 2k hasn't put out a regular baseball game that's all that great...how can they crank this out and it be good.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I haven't had a problem with 2K games in the past and given we haven't actually had a text sim that was anything like FPS Baseball well since FPS Baseball or maybe MVP was close in a sense.

So if this even comes close, it'll be fine. They're not gonna be "up to snuff" but the reviews mean nothing, because those guys have no idea how to review text sims.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
FBPro
College Starter

I have the PC version ordered, had today off and wouldn't you know it NO GAME.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Here is all you need to know about this game. No one here even dreams it has a 1% chance of being good. Kevin Goldstein mentioned in his chat yesterday that he heard it's 'HORRIBLE'.

I haven't seen one thing that leads me to believe otherwise. I am actually guessing it's worse then we even could imagine. Daivd Winter Bad.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well that would at least be entertaining.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I tried reading the 2K forums, but basically consisted of one guy who obviously hates texts sims going around and pissing on every thread. So, guess I'll see what FOFC says.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #16
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Here is all you need to know about this game. No one here even dreams it has a 1% chance of being good. Kevin Goldstein mentioned in his chat yesterday that he heard it's 'HORRIBLE'.

I haven't seen one thing that leads me to believe otherwise. I am actually guessing it's worse then we even could imagine. Daivd Winter Bad.
I actually hope that it's decent and falls somewhere between Head Coach 1 and Head Coach 2
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Who the fuck is Kevin Goldstein?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

IGN gave it a 6.6

IGN: MLB Front Office Manager Review

Seems like the game is decent, but questionable AI (figured that) and the interface is horrible. The game in itself is fun though... go figure.

Posters who have it over at OS, seem to initially like it.. we'll see after a few days..
Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #19
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Who the fuck is Kevin Goldstein?

A baseball writer who likes video games. He isn't any sort of authority on baseball video games, he was just passing along what he had heard.

Dervack, we all hope it's good. I think we just all know that it isn't.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 01-27-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
IGN gave it a 6.6

IGN: MLB Front Office Manager Review

Seems like the game is decent, but questionable AI (figured that) and the interface is horrible. The game in itself is fun though... go figure.

Posters who have it over at OS, seem to initially like it.. we'll see after a few days..

That's a solid review. I don't think any of us expected a very good AI. Nevermind, there is a fantasy mode. So that's all I needed to know. With that, it should be at least as bad as OOTP and for me, that's fine. At least the baseball logic should be sound.

I think "the game sucks" is a relative term and depends on what people's expectations are.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-27-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I don't think I could play this on the 360.. HC never grabbed me like I thought it would.

After it's been out for a few days, I might check it out on the pc. Rosters should be so much better on the pc as well.. I know people will be out there making them current much faster than on the console.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #22
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I wonder how many seasons you can play? So many issues with AI occur only after the real players leave the universe and you're left with the game-created players.
how do you know?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
Philliesfan980
Banned

I don't think I've seen so many people try and look past all of the blemishes of a game to try and talk themselves into playing it.

It just goes to show how starved we are for this type of game on a console.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I don't think I've seen so many people try and look past all of the blemishes of a game to try and talk themselves into playing it.

That's what happens when the first baseball game of the season comes out. We'll see what's being posted after about a week or so.

What stinks is it seems like they did so some things right, but like all sports games, they have to meet a deadline and things do not get fixed before release.

It's too bad, because horrible sales will kill a game like this.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #25
CraigSca
Pro Starter

(buy a PS3, Todd)

how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 01-27-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #26
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
That's what happens when the first baseball game of the season comes out. We'll see what's being posted after about a week or so.

What stinks is it seems like they did so some things right, but like all sports games, they have to meet a deadline and things do not get fixed before release.

It's too bad, because horrible sales will kill a game like this.

You're exactly right. At the end of the day, it seems this will end up being a 5.5-6/10 type game. Playable, but only if you're willing to overlook some key bugs. I also agree with you that this effort might kill off any future efforts, as it apparently did with HC.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
(buy a PS3, Todd)

I need to get a 120GB HD for my 360 first!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're exactly right. At the end of the day, it seems this will end up being a 5.5-6/10 type game. Playable, but only if you're willing to overlook some key bugs. I also agree with you that this effort might kill off any future efforts, as it apparently did with HC.

It will die out once 2K9 and The Show come out.. BUT the pc version could really go places if the modding community can do some magic.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I'm not playing it on console, I'm playing it on PC.

And I think we all overlook blemishes on games, at least, those of us who play OOTP do.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I wonder how many seasons you can play? So many issues with AI occur only after the real players leave the universe and you're left with the game-created players.

30 years.

There is apparently a 'fantasy' mode that's like the Commish mode that we're all used to, where you can control more than one team, lord over the league and force trades, etc.

I am always curious when people expect AI in games to be human-like. No game is that good and once everyone is fictional, what's "fair" is relative.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It will die out once 2K9 and The Show come out.. BUT the pc version could really go places if the modding community can do some magic.

Given how much they've hacked High Heat over the years and I know the SimCity 4 community has been amazing, it'll be interesting.

But usually, it requires a decent sized audience to make it work.

So we'll see.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently my copy is in. I'm gonna go pick it up, since I got to work early and fire it up on the laptop since I'm working late and see what it looks like. I'm really curious to see.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #33
Ramzavail
College Starter

I'm expecting the worse.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #34
BigPapi
Mascot

I picked this up for the PC as well...Will post impressions later.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok PC guys.. lets hear it!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just picked mine up and I'm installing it now. I won't be able to do much with it until after work, but...I don't want to wait to check it out.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

First thing is, it tries to install Steam before you can install the game. Dunno WTF that's about, but if I have to be connected to the web before I install, then I'm gonna have to wait until I leave here. Well that's stupid and the manual mentions nothing about it.

Someone @ OS mentioned you can install without internet, but it needs Steam to install the game, so..maybe I just need to restart.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-28-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It's really...REALLY not a good game.

First, minor leaguers are not in. Maybe they're fictionalized; I don't know. But don't take a poor team expecting to promote your studs from the minors; they're not there.

The list setup is wonky. I could only sort free agent lists by overall value, which is graduated in 5 point, 20-80 scale. I could filter for a particular position, but that's about it. I can't see how to sort on individual tools, nor can I seem to sort on potential. So if you want to sign any of those 6 year minor league free agents, get used to your Y button.

I tried trading a bit, but pretty much everyone tradable on my team has no trade clauses, neatly making the trading block function obsolete.

The roster functionality is poor. You've got to scroll through six levels of league to get a feel for everyone on your roster, and of course minor leaguers all show up at their overall skill level of 20. Their potential, again, must be individually checked on their player card. This makes trying to create a path of advancement through the minors problematic. The lact of a clear roster list function means you'll have to scroll two screens between your starting catcher and your backup just to see who you want to play, let alone having to check to see if the kid a level below is ready.

I simmed one day and lack the willpower to go on anymore. Thank god I only rented. But the roster functions are so counter-intuitive that I am not interested in the accuracy of the engine or the AI. I just want to go play another game. ANY other game.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #39
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm reading the impressions thread at OPS and it doesn't look so good, but will wait for more impressions here.

I'm afraid if i buy it will be untouched after the first time, exactly like Head Coach that i only popped once into my PS3. We are looking for a text sim with console graphics, and those games end being nice graphics with nothing behind them.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

For PC folks, make sure you install Steam. There is no way around it and if you botch the install by trying to have it avoid installing that, it'll make the whole install a lot more annoying that it might have to be otherwise.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-28-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #41
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

First, minor leaguers are not in. Maybe they're fictionalized; I don't know. But don't take a poor team expecting to promote your studs from the minors; they're not there.

The list setup is wonky. I could only sort free agent lists by overall value, which is graduated in 5 point, 20-80 scale. I could filter for a particular position, but that's about it. I can't see how to sort on individual tools, nor can I seem to sort on potential. So if you want to sign any of those 6 year minor league free agents, get used to your Y button.

I tried trading a bit, but pretty much everyone tradable on my team has no trade clauses, neatly making the trading block function obsolete.

The roster functionality is poor. You've got to scroll through six levels of league to get a feel for everyone on your roster, and of course minor leaguers all show up at their overall skill level of 20. Their potential, again, must be individually checked on their player card. This makes trying to create a path of advancement through the minors problematic. The lact of a clear roster list function means you'll have to scroll two screens between your starting catcher and your backup just to see who you want to play, let alone having to check to see if the kid a level below is ready.

I simmed one day and lack the willpower to go on anymore. Thank god I only rented. But the roster functions are so counter-intuitive that I am not interested in the accuracy of the engine or the AI. I just want to go play another game. ANY other game.

Yikes! Well, that's money saved.
how do you know?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Installing so far is a PITA. Steam wouldn't install, apparently it's a common problem that I could google. Now downloading Steam from the web to the machine, to hopefully install the game.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Apparently Mogul got endorsed this year:

Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #44
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

Typically these games look good at first and suck as the flaws become known. This one is a disaster from the word go and will probably set the genre back instead of advancing it.

Exactly what anyone being honest with themselves expected.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If you're not connected to the internet, the game WILL NOT install, because it tries to install Steam and then connect to the web, before it'll do anything. Just an FYI for those who buy it on PC. Save yourself a few hours of hassle (or in my case, discovering a trojan, having to restart your entire machine before you get to do that..)
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So far:

- Menu response time is non-existant. It's like you're typing and it doesn't always know what you just did.

- It's obviously a straight port to PC.

- The menus are jarring, but I got used to them quickly. I think the real problem was that it's quite different from a text sim, in that, it's not a text sim in the traditional sense.

- The only way to play this, is in fantasy mode. The career mode is 30 years, fantasy mode is unlimited. In fantasy mode, you can edit players contracts and everything and the names of non-MLB players. You can make trades and control more than one team, too.

I haven't gotten further into it beyond that. I can't see ever playing a game like this on console and I don't think it'll set the genre back, because independent publishers will keep making text sims and big box companies will continue to throw bones at us that won't be what we want because making an OOTP clone will never make them rich.

This could've been better executed for sure. It's not fast, in the OOTP vein, but nothing really is.

So I dunno, my initial impressions are that it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but unlike say, that stupid geo-political sim I bought last week that isn't really even playable or give me much of an incentive to go back in and mess with it, this one will give me something to do when I'm itching to actually see my players, but don't want to mash buttons and that's all I wanted. But I suspect I'm in the minority there and that my expectations for it weren't really all that high.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #47
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
If you're not connected to the internet, the game WILL NOT install, because it tries to install Steam and then connect to the web, before it'll do anything. Just an FYI for those who buy it on PC. Save yourself a few hours of hassle (or in my case, discovering a trojan, having to restart your entire machine before you get to do that..)

What I don't understand is why I can't buy this game on Steam if it requires Steam!
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

PastaPadre has more thoughts, with some screenies and I agree with most of us thoughts:

Further Impressions of MLB FOM | pastapadre.com
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #49
BigPapi
Mascot

As noted by others- incredibly cumbersome- and oddly unresponsive menu system. So annoying to click on the same thing three and four times to move through the menus. Still, this looks like it could have been something with a little more effort.

I went messing around in the file directories to see if I could find the rosters. (This might be more enjoyable with up-to-date rosters and real minor league prospects.) It appears they are in .big format- not .csv or something simple as I had hoped. Not sure anyone will care enough to even mess with anu of this....Guess we'll see.

This whole thing looks like something 2K is working on to glue together with the MLB2KX series sometime soon- and they just decided to see if it could hold it's own.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

.big is just a file extension that's full of INI files or something. I googled it and other games use it and have hacked it for their purposes by modders and so, there is at least a possibility they'll have something.

You can also load rosters pretty effortlessly, so it does make it possible at least in PC land to load someone else's rosters into the game before you start a fantasy career.

I played some more last night, but the sim speed is a lot slower than I'm accustomed to, so I couldn't really invest much more time with it because it just wasn't moving all that fast.

I suspect a patch might address at least some of the warts, that is, if the OOTP fan boys posting over at the 2K forums aren't irritating them too much yet.