Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Sports Memorabilia Question...

So, I never really put much thought into it, but with the Athletics clinching the division today, I thought I'd ping those who are into this type of thing at FOFC.

Back in the 80's I lived with my Aunt and Uncle for a short time, and one of my Uncles best friends was a professional Umpire for Major League Baseball. In 1989 this umpire friend had the majority of the 1989 A's sign a baseball, which in turn was given to me as a present. I still have the ball...which has just been kind of knocking around in storage for years. As of right now it's in near perfect condition. I can recognize the following signatures (verified by seeing their signatures on other balls, online), and I'm pretty sure the rest of the big boys are on here somewhere...

Mark McGwire
Billy Beane
Dave Stewart
Dennis Eckerlsey
Dave Parker
Carney Lansford
Terry Steinbach
Lance Blankenship
Mike Gallego
Curt Young
Ken Phelps

There are at least another dozen autographs that I just can't make out.

1.) Knowing that this ball is signed by all of these guys...how much do you figure this thing is worth?

2.) Would anyone here be able to help me figure out who these other signatures are?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 10-03-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

High value would be $200-250 if Canseco and Randolph are there too. A Henderson on the same ball would double the value. That is assuming it is verifiable to be 1989 and no fake/clubhouse signatures. A 1990 ball of the same players (including Henderson) has high value of $150-200, fwiw.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Ah...good to know. I can't tell if Henderson is there...nor can I tell if Canseco or Randolph are there. I've heard stories that Canseco was famous for not wanting to sign these types of balls.

Billy Beane wasn't on the club 1990, so I imagine that would help my case out for the '90 verification.

It doesn't really hold a lot of sentimental value for me, unfortunately. I'm a Giants fan first, Orioles fan second, and A's fan third.