Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Angry Billy Corgan's new album

...is a ginormous pile of steaming poo.

And I say this about the man I consider to be the greatest songwriter since John Lennon.

The best way to describe the album would be Machina B-sides. The whole thing is a mess. And with the exception of a couple songs almost every track sounds the same. Like was posted in the pumpkins reforming thread, supposedly Chamberlain plays on a few of the tracks, but I sure as hell couldn't tell with all that Elektronika racket Billy was bandying about. My ears started bleeding on track #4 when I realized just how bad it was.

I'm not completely giving up yet, but I need to let this one sit on the shelf for a couple of months before I even look at it again.

mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

sounds like my reaction to Wilco's "A Ghost is Born"
Old 07-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

That is sad to hear I too like Corgan's work..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
That is sad to hear I too like Corgan's work..

You know who thinks the world of Corgan's work?

Corgan.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Heh. I think that goes for just about any band frontman I've ever heard of. Some cocky bastages. But usually not too funny.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
...is a ginormous pile of steaming poo.

And I say this about the man I consider to be the greatest songwriter since John Lennon.

The best way to describe the album would be Machina B-sides. The whole thing is a mess. And with the exception of a couple songs almost every track sounds the same. Like was posted in the pumpkins reforming thread, supposedly Chamberlain plays on a few of the tracks, but I sure as hell couldn't tell with all that Elektronika racket Billy was bandying about. My ears started bleeding on track #4 when I realized just how bad it was.

I'm not completely giving up yet, but I need to let this one sit on the shelf for a couple of months before I even look at it again.

Everything you said here is dead on. The SPs have always been one of my favorites, and I even liked Zwan (except for Paz's terrible background vocals), but Corgan's solo album is boring, boring crap IMO. After listening to it, I began hoping the SPs never reform.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #7
Daimyo
College Starter

Agreed. I didn't like the turn they took with Machina, and this album is similar but much worse than that one.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

He's written great songs, but he's a terrible poet.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah...I was a big Pumpkins fan as an adolescent/teen, and I suppose you could say I still am, but I will stay away from any Billy Corgan side projects or solo work. Even if the Pumpkins reformed, I would have to hear some positive reaction before buying it. His time as a relevant artist has come again. Maybe if he had gotten into heroin...just kidding.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:01 AM   #10
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

So the "Machina" used to facilitate the final album for the Smashing Pumpkins must have been "Corgan grinders".. And now all we're left with is the remains of a once great songwriter burning on the doorstep of mediocrity?

Man, mediocrity should be pissed to find him like this. The two would have never crossed paths if this world were perfect. Cruel fate..

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote