Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2023, 10:43 PM   #301
miami_fan
Coordinator

Win or lose, this is an amazing performance by Caitlin Clark.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:45 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Loving this game. Have not been so into a womans game since Kelsey Plum played for UW
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:50 PM   #303
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, she did it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:54 PM   #304
RainMaker
General Manager

That was pretty damn impressive.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:03 PM   #305
rjolley
College Starter

The last 2 seasons, I thought Clark was trying too hard to get out from Bueckers's shadow, playing second-fiddle whenever they were in the same game or in most coverage of women's college basketball. Very happy to see her up her game even more and step into the limelight.

Last edited by rjolley : 03-31-2023 at 11:05 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:17 AM   #306
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't watch much women's hoops but Dawn Staley got clowned all night by the Iowa coach. Clark is incredible but they never blitzed her and sort of just let her do her thing all night. The Iowa defensive gameplan of letting Raven alone on the outside was brilliant. South Carolina played 4-on-5 all night on offense and they never once adjusted to it.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #307
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Kind of concerned about tarcone. He should be rubbing this in all of our faces.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:03 AM   #308
miami_fan
Coordinator

Stole this from Twitter but I verified its accuracy. I love this stat.

Caitlin Clark has scored more points in this year’s postseason (ten games of the Big Ten Tournament and the NCAAs) than the Iowa football team scored all season in 13 games. 238-230.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-01-2023, 09:35 AM   #309
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't watch much women's hoops but Dawn Staley got clowned all night by the Iowa coach. Clark is incredible but they never blitzed her and sort of just let her do her thing all night. The Iowa defensive gameplan of letting Raven alone on the outside was brilliant. South Carolina played 4-on-5 all night on offense and they never once adjusted to it.

That was coaching malpractice. I said at the beginning of the game they needed to switch out personnel. All they had to do was bring in a shooter and then dominate inside. And how do you allow Clark to catch every inbounds pass at the end of the game? You have to double her and put someone/anyone else at the free throw line.

Also, they need to get rid of that advance the ball after a TO rule or take away some TOs.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #310
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Im not sure South Carolina has ever seen a pick and roll before this game. And every time, their tall girls were somehow facing away from it... like literally had their backs turned until the last second. Who turns their back on the ball handler? But if you watch Cardoso she was faced the wrong way on at least 75% of the drives/pick and rolls.

And if Clark had a path to the lane, they never came over to help. Iowa ran 3 plays: Screen for Clark who takes a tough 3; pick and rolls with a dump over the top; Clark just runs past her defender on the dribble.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:40 AM   #311
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Also, of Boston is a consensus #1, then the WNBA is even worse than I assumed. She has been mediocre all year. Shes slow and her game is predicated on getting fouled.

It's actually insane how good Cardoso could be if she developed a mid-range jumper.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:07 AM   #312
Ksyrup

The women's D3 championship game is on CBS sports right now. Two undefeated teams including one from Lexington (Transylvania). My daughter briefly had overtures from them about coming to camps before injuries/concussions and then Covid derailed all that. She knows and played with/against several girls on the team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2023 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:45 AM   #313
Ksyrup

This game is giving me high school PTSD.

"A lot of commotion going on under the basket."

Yes, commotion. In the men's game, that's called a foul. Or several of them, actually.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #314
HerRealName
College Prospect

These refs are struggling.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:30 PM   #315
Ksyrup

That's what it's all about. Wow.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #316
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow!
Old 04-01-2023, 07:31 PM   #317
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow - that is so hard on FAU

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:36 PM   #318
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely cold-blooded.

No thought of a timeout, the announcers were going on about how they didn't have the right personnel on the floor and uh.. just let me hit this shot while moving, ok?

https://twitter.com/MarchMadnessMBB/...23896597876736

Last edited by SirFozzie : 04-01-2023 at 07:36 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #319
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's what it's all about. Wow.
good luck moving up, because IIIII......oops, wrong thread.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:30 PM   #320
cuervo72
Head Coach

This is going to be real disappointing if we have all these upsets just to have effing UCONN win at the end.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #321
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Would have helped Miami if they didn't get into a 9-0 hole to start

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:01 PM   #322
Edward64
Head Coach

Rooting for UConn.

If you get whupped, always better to say you got whupped by the NC

EDIT: nice win

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-01-2023 at 10:26 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:21 AM   #323
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
That was coaching malpractice. I said at the beginning of the game they needed to switch out personnel. All they had to do was bring in a shooter and then dominate inside. And how do you allow Clark to catch every inbounds pass at the end of the game? You have to double her and put someone/anyone else at the free throw line.

Also, they need to get rid of that advance the ball after a TO rule or take away some TOs.

The women's game using quarters and mirroring the NBA advance on TO rule is wild to me. That South Carolina-Iowa game was a classic, but there's no doubt that South Carolina frittered it away by letting Clark beat them AND somehow being devoid of someone who can actually make a jump shot.

Florida Atlantic's gameplan of shooting before SDSU could get set was working well, but their desire to keep taking bad shots with such a lead eventually was going to cost them and it did. It's a small miracle they were a stop away from winning, but a heck of a season from them.

I feel like FAU needed to pull out all the stops, you're never getting in this situation again. (George Mason and VCU haven't exactly been near the mountaintop again after their runs, Butler had a quality moment but that ship has also dried up a bit.)
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #324
Ksyrup

I find it funny as well that the women's game mirrors the NBA better than the men's game does. I have no idea how all that came to be. I can only assume the college game felt threatened by the NBA taking all of its players early and didn't want to help prepare them for the pros?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-02-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #325
HerRealName
College Prospect

Never good when the officiating overshadows the action on the court. Those offensive fouls on Clark were horrible.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #326
JPhillips
General Manager

The role of Caitlin Clark will be played by Jasmine Carson.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:54 PM   #327
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

That officiating was awful. Not a way to make new fans. I've watched about 1.5 women's college basketball games in my life, the first being Friday and the second today. I switched it off at the half. Great to know that the LSU bench is better than Iowa bench, but not what I tuned in to see. And what's with the LSU coach standing on the court all game?

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 04-02-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:15 PM   #328
miami_fan
Coordinator

They cannot call this as a flagrant after the way they have called the game.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #329
JPhillips
General Manager

They've just decided not to call any fouls in the second half.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:20 PM   #330
HerRealName
College Prospect

They call that a technical? Time for an investigation.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #331
RainMaker
General Manager

Really sucks for the sport. Getting it's largest audience ever and the refs are embarrassingly bad.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:49 PM   #332
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Never good when the officiating overshadows the action on the court. Those offensive fouls on Clark were horrible.

My takeaway from watching more women's basketball this year is their sport, at least at the college level, is officiated horribly. The handful of Iowa games I've seen take that to another level.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:53 PM   #333
HerRealName
College Prospect

I can't say that I've ever seen a player on the winning team stalking a player on the losing team and just taunting them over and over again. Impressive.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:56 PM   #334
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't say that I've ever seen a player on the winning team stalking a player on the losing team and just taunting them over and over again. Impressive.

It was like the women's game has the biggest star in a generation and it was decided to put her in her place on the biggest stage.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #335
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It was like the women's game has the biggest star in a generation and it was decided to put her in her place on the biggest stage.

It felt like Jordan and Pippen vs Kukoc in that first Olympic game in 1992.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:12 PM   #336
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, that was pretty classy.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:14 PM   #337
cuervo72
Head Coach

(otoh, it's not exactly like Clark has been undemonstrative)
Old 04-02-2023, 05:22 PM   #338
JPhillips
General Manager

Clark did the same thing during the SC game, so what's good for the goose...
Old 04-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #339
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Clark did the same thing during the SC game, so what's good for the goose...

There's a difference between celebrating and taunting. That would have started a brawl in a men's game.

Last edited by HerRealName : 04-02-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:45 PM   #340
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I knew the LSU team would put it on them, that South Carolina game was a scout's dream because they exposed so much. Knew Mulkey would have them ready and boy...they did not disappointed. Embarrased them. Doesn't diminish Clark's season, but you're not winning 1 on 5 that often.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:46 PM   #341
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
There's a difference between celebrating and taunting. That would have started a brawl in a men's game.

I don't want to make a big deal of this as I don't care either way. I am just letting you know that there is a history and screenshots and videos were saved for about two weeks for just this moment by those interested in having that discussion.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #342
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats to the LSU women
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #343
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My takeaway from watching more women's basketball this year is their sport, at least at the college level, is officiated horribly. The handful of Iowa games I've seen take that to another level.

I've been railing on this forever. HS is of course even worse. The thing is they do it because they don't treat women with respect enough to believe they can conform to a clean game. Most games they allow all sorts of intentional fouls that don't get called at all and they just wait for everyone to end up on the floor and call jump ball.

There's a reason the best women's teams press 100% of the time, because there is literally no downside. You usually foul the other team into a TO and easy points. And because of the lack of height, if they break the press, it's not like it's an automatic basket - there's no dunks and even layups aren't automatic (especially when the same fouling rules apply under the basket).

It's not just an officiating thing. It's the way the game is played and taught. They won't try calling touch fouls and allowing women to adjust. They'd rather treat them like they have 8 year old motor skills and can't develop to play a more refined game. It sucks. And it caused my daughter 3 concussions. And on 2 of them, they didn't even call a foul...!
Old 04-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #344
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It isn’t Clark’s fault that the media all decided to spend the last two weeks acting like she was the only woman in college basketball who knew how to dribble. But it really had to get under a lot of players’ skin. These women are all good at this level. And they all work their ass off. And I think there was the natural resentment of the person placed in the role of the golden child. They are media savvy enough not to admit it, but I suspect there are a lot of women in the college game right now who really enjoyed seeing her, lose and get taunted for it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:17 PM   #345
Ksyrup

She's only the golden child this year because Bueckers is hurt. Honestly she deserved the spotlight this year. I think that's why the media went overboard because she's been mostly overshadowed before this year.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:19 PM   #346
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, that was pretty classy.

It's LSU and a Mulkey team.

If you're expecting anything resembling class with THAT combination you're looking in the wrong fuckin place.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:22 PM   #347
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've been railing on this forever. HS is of course even worse. The thing is they do it because they don't treat women with respect enough to believe they can conform to a clean game. Most games they allow all sorts of intentional fouls that don't get called at all and they just wait for everyone to end up on the floor and call jump ball.

There's a reason the best women's teams press 100% of the time, because there is literally no downside. You usually foul the other team into a TO and easy points. And because of the lack of height, if they break the press, it's not like it's an automatic basket - there's no dunks and even layups aren't automatic (especially when the same fouling rules apply under the basket).

It's not just an officiating thing. It's the way the game is played and taught. They won't try calling touch fouls and allowing women to adjust. They'd rather treat them like they have 8 year old motor skills and can't develop to play a more refined game. It sucks. And it caused my daughter 3 concussions. And on 2 of them, they didn't even call a foul...!

100% agree. Very well stated. My daughter stopped playing after getting a concussion right at the end of her So year. No foul was called on that play either. She would have either started or been the first guard off the bench on the Varsity team the next year but she decided to quit right after that play.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:32 PM   #348
HerRealName
College Prospect

This topic jogged a memory. During 1 game her JV year, they had 2 girls out with injuries. One girl was hurt during the game and 2 girls fouled out. They ended up playing 3 on 5 and barely pulled out a win. My daughter is the one receiving the pass.

https://imgur.com/a/VH6Icw0

Last edited by HerRealName : 04-02-2023 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:32 PM   #349
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I really don't have much of an issue with the initial taunt that Reese did. Slightly classless that late in the game but really not a huge deal. What's problematic for me is following Clark all over the floor and doing it repeatedly.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #350
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's LSU and a Mulkey team.

If you're expecting anything resembling class with THAT combination you're looking in the wrong fuckin place.

I thought I was the only one who could not stand Kim Mulkey. Great coach but I can't stand her.