Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #351
tarcone
Coordinator

Bullshit officials. They took everything that Caitlin Clark did for womrns basketball and pissed it away, Clark had the game relevant and 3 fucking incompetent idiots set it back 25 years.

Shame on the officials. Congrats to LSU

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:12 PM   #352
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've been railing on this forever. HS is of course even worse. The thing is they do it because they don't treat women with respect enough to believe they can conform to a clean game. Most games they allow all sorts of intentional fouls that don't get called at all and they just wait for everyone to end up on the floor and call jump ball.

There's a reason the best women's teams press 100% of the time, because there is literally no downside. You usually foul the other team into a TO and easy points. And because of the lack of height, if they break the press, it's not like it's an automatic basket - there's no dunks and even layups aren't automatic (especially when the same fouling rules apply under the basket).

It's not just an officiating thing. It's the way the game is played and taught. They won't try calling touch fouls and allowing women to adjust. They'd rather treat them like they have 8 year old motor skills and can't develop to play a more refined game. It sucks. And it caused my daughter 3 concussions. And on 2 of them, they didn't even call a foul...!

The game should be easier to officiate in the sense that you don't have the athletes you see in the NBA or high level men's CBB.

South Carolina and LSU both seem to take advantage of the fact that they know the game is going to be officiated poorly. They recruit size and play a physical game.

The forearm push by a defender on a ballhandler stopping their dribble has to be taught in drills because I see it several times a game. It's never called and results in either a travel or turnover just about every time.

I've also come to the conclusion that grabbing someone's arm is 100% ok as long as you end up getting some part of the ball at some point in the scuffle. If you manage to get both hands on the ball they'll call it a tie up immediately.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:17 PM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought I was the only one who could not stand Kim Mulkey. Great coach but I can't stand her.

She's an effective coach.

Her teams are pretty much always filled with some of the most unlikable characters possible.

There are few people that can get me to root for Gino, she's high on that list.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:51 AM   #354
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm still kicking around if I should go to the title game tonight. It's not all that expensive. I can get in the door for about $70 and get a really good seat for about $250 (price including fees). Parking will probably set me back another $50 or I can just park and ride 5 mins on our sad little light rail for $15 (that's the option that's going to happen). But, honestly, none of that is all that expensive for a major sporting event.

The problem I have is that I'm not all that excited to see UConn blast San Diego St. And there's a real chance that's what this becomes.

I went in 2016 and saw an amazing game between UConn and North Carolina and that was fun-ish, but less fun when I didn't have a rooting interest. Also, I paid for the get-in-the-door seats so the view was less than idea. I'm more tempted to pay more this time to get down in the lower bowl.

But, I dunno, going there to watch an ass kicking seems less than fun.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-03-2023 at 09:52 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:04 AM   #355
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The question you should ask yourself is if it is a great game will you regret not going?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #356
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't really know the answer to that. Like the 2016 title game was a legit great game and my memories of it were "Cool, I'm glad I went" not "Bucket list awesome". Going in person to watch KU get blasted by Nova when they hit a Final Four record for 3s in a game (in the first goddamned half) or getting Trey Burke'd in the Sweet 16 is more memorable to me because I have a personal connection.

SI

Old 04-03-2023, 10:22 AM   #357
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It sounds like you kind of don't want to go but think that you should want to go.

It's a good price for a ticket to a major sports championship. But if it isn't worth it to you, then it isn't worth it to you.

Spend the money on something else fun.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:50 PM   #358
miami_fan
Coordinator

It would all depend on where that really good seat is for me. Being at the event for me would be cool even if it is a blowout and/or I have no interest in the teams. Being at the event and spending most of my time looking up at the big screen because the players look like they are 2D characters in a text sim is not something I would have any interest in. This would especially be the case if it were not my team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:37 PM   #359
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm still kicking around if I should go to the title game tonight. It's not all that expensive. I can get in the door for about $70 and get a really good seat for about $250 (price including fees). Parking will probably set me back another $50 or I can just park and ride 5 mins on our sad little light rail for $15 (that's the option that's going to happen). But, honestly, none of that is all that expensive for a major sporting event.

The problem I have is that I'm not all that excited to see UConn blast San Diego St. And there's a real chance that's what this becomes.

I went in 2016 and saw an amazing game between UConn and North Carolina and that was fun-ish, but less fun when I didn't have a rooting interest. Also, I paid for the get-in-the-door seats so the view was less than idea. I'm more tempted to pay more this time to get down in the lower bowl.

But, I dunno, going there to watch an ass kicking seems less than fun.

SI

That's still a lot for no rooting interest in a game with no future NBA starters (probably) and all the added hassle of getting into a full football stadium.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:20 PM   #360
miami_fan
Coordinator

LSU's win over Iowa is most-watched women's college basketball game ever
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #361
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This game kinda sucks. Not just the big lead but plenty of sloppiness and easy missed shots.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:19 PM   #362
miami_fan
Coordinator

I will give the 2nd half until the first timeout. If it does not grab me by then, I am heading to sleep.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:34 PM   #363
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We knew UConn was going to blow these boys out, it's too bad FAU couldn't keep the slipper on for one more game. They wouldn't have won either, but it'd have been more interesting. All the Hurleys & Geno (I'm joking, but also...) and probably Jim Calhoun were in the lab gameplanning this one. No contest.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-03-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:52 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A friend on FB asked me if tonight was the farthest distance between two finalists in history. I was surprised by the results I came up with

Quote:
just going with Google Maps fastest driving between home cities
2023 - SDSU/Uconn 2,914 miles
2017 - UNC/Gonzaga 2,443
2006 - Florida/UCLA 2,406
1972 - UCLA/FSU 2,255
1971 - UCLA/Villanova 2,712
1970 - UCLA/Jacksonville 2,416
1968 - UCLA/UNC 2,246
1964 - UCLA/Duke 2,521
1959 - Cal/WVU 2,636
1942 - Stanford/Dartmouth 3,100
WOW ... I did not expect to find one longer all the way back to the 4th ever title game
Old 04-04-2023, 07:42 AM   #365
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old 04-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #366
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Rooting for UConn.

If you get whupped, always better to say you got whupped by the NC

Congrats UConn. Great and convincing tournament wins.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:41 PM   #367
Ksyrup

AS if FSU's fall off the cliff, 9 win season wasn't bad enough, we lost 3 of our best players to the portal and one, Matthew Cleveland, who was responsible for the highlight of the season, a buzzer beater to beat Miami... is transferring to Miami.

Basketball season is over 6 months before it begins.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll leave you to find the details for yourself but, damn, WTF Huggins? I mean, knowing the show and all, I'm sure the intent in his head was to poke at the host (Cunningham is a Xavier grad) but talk about picking an ill-advised way to do it. Just damn.

That's gonna be one helluva way to end a hall of fame career abruptly

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-08-2023 at 07:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #369
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yeah. I don't think he's surviving this one.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:15 PM   #370
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Yeah. I don't think he's surviving this one.

Could go either way, but as of right now I think he does.

EDIT: You very likely see a suspension, an apology tour, and a large donation to LGTBQ organization(s). Gee will want him gone, but I think he has enough support to survive this.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-08-2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #371
JPhillips
General Manager

Thom Brenneman is definitely trying to line up an interview.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:40 AM   #372
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He's 69.

I wonder if it is worth spending the political capital to keep him. He's going to naturally retire, you'd think, in 5 or so years anyway.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:26 AM   #373
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Thom Brenneman is definitely trying to line up an interview.

There's (kinda) a tweet for that!

Old 05-09-2023, 07:44 AM   #374
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not a good situation and WVU is already handling quite a few other messes. I think Huggins survives this with a short suspension. He has overwhelming support and is frankly more connected than the new AD (who I don't think would touch him) and President Gee is sort of on the ropes right now. I do think faculty is going to raise a hellstorm (there has already been talk of significant budget cuts, fewer adjuncts, and more teaching duties for professors, plus the legislature just passed a campus carry law that is, understandably, very unpopular among faculty and staff). It would not shock me if Gee ends up falling on the sword, intentionally or unintentionally, here.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 10:00 AM   #375
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
He's 69.

I wonder if it is worth spending the political capital to keep him. He's going to naturally retire, you'd think, in 5 or so years anyway.

It very likely is. The guy does a massive amount for the school and the state in terms of raising money and awareness of different things. There are more donors attached to him than anyone else involved with the school and while basketball is the focus, Huggs can get money rallied around a cause like no one else.

I think he uses some of his political capital to survive this, but isn't going to be the same untouchable guy he has been moving forward.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #376
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Bob Huggins has entered the transfer portal. He is currently receiving interest from Liberty University.
— Jake Hretz (@JHretz76) May 8, 2023

SI

Old 05-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #377
Atocep
Coordinator

Announcement sometime tomorrow, but Huggs will be suspended and there will be additional steps he has to meet. Those who know him and have talked to him have said he's embarrassed and taking this very seriously. No pushback at all on the demands the school put in front of him to avoid being let go.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:02 PM   #378
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

His apology wasn't one of those "I'm sorry you were offended" and then doubling down, blaming the woke media or some such. It read more like a guy out of his time who didn't realize that what he said wasn't ok at all in the modern world and seems really embarrassed and sorry once someone took him aside and told him what was up.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-09-2023 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #379
Swaggs
Coordinator

I finally listened to it last night and I think it sounds like they called him without him realizing he was on the air. Apparently the host was a Xavier grad and the co-host was on Huggins staff when he coached at Cincy. It almost sound like they woke him up or, more likely, he was drunk and picked up his phone and missed the part where they told him he was on the air. It is just an awful thing to say, whether on air or not.

I feel bad for the AD. He is not a year into the job. Had to retain the unpopular football coach because of his enormous buyout and is now going to alienate a sizable chunk of the fan base either way. I think Huggins survives this, but a lot of people are going to be upset. He was headed towards getting a statue built outside the Coliseum and now, his legacy is going to have this as a big exclamation mark on the end of it.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:51 AM   #380
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Huggy Bear getting a $1 million salary reduction
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #381
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Huggy Bear getting a $1 million salary reduction

$1 mil salary reduction, 3 game suspension, all contract perks removed, contract reduced to 1 year contract with an annual renewal option, and he has some required commitments to LGTBQ organizations.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:19 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with all those that hoped that Huggins did not lose his job. The comments were abhorrent but his apology seems genuine to me. I hope he does better in the future.

Can we talk about the hosts and the producer now? Those guys are his friends? The radio station does not have a delay or a dump button? Huggins is completely responsible for what he said but damn his buddies could have used the technology in the production booth to help him out. Friends don't let friends lose a million dollars and everything else associated with the Huggins discipline for that content unless they are doing the radio version of Jackass Forever.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #383
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I agree with all those that hoped that Huggins did not lose his job. The comments were abhorrent but his apology seems genuine to me. I hope he does better in the future.

Can we talk about the hosts and the producer now? Those guys are his friends? The radio station does not have a delay or a dump button? Huggins is completely responsible for what he said but damn his buddies could have used the technology in the production booth to help him out. Friends don't let friends lose a million dollars and everything else associated with the Huggins discipline for that content unless they are doing the radio version of Jackass Forever.

Typically you're not listening for that sort of thing, you're listening for one of the Seven Dirty Words -- at most, and that's if anyone is listening with a finger on the dump button at all. And that's usually for random callers, not guests (okay, depends on the guest occasionally but still)

And I can't imagine ANY station/chain having policy to use a dump button on this anyway. It exists solely to protect the station from liability, not to protect guests from themselves. That'd be such a slippery slope that I'm hard pressed to imagine anybody going along with it in 2023.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:54 PM   #384
Swaggs
Coordinator

On the one hand, him still making $3.2M lessens the blow of a $1M deduction. On the other, I when I try to related it to me losing a) $1M or b) my income going down by 25%, it feels pretty substantial. When I think about just about anyone else saying what he said and keeping their job, it is still hard to fathom that he was able to keep his job, but it is pretty hard for anyone outside to understand/appreciate how much goodwill or (I guess) political capital he has at the university, in the state, and with the money folks.
Old 05-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #385
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Typically you're not listening for that sort of thing, you're listening for one of the Seven Dirty Words -- at most, and that's if anyone is listening with a finger on the dump button at all. And that's usually for random callers, not guests (okay, depends on the guest occasionally but still)

And I can't imagine ANY station/chain having policy to use a dump button on this anyway. It exists solely to protect the station from liability, not to protect guests from themselves. That'd be such a slippery slope that I'm hard pressed to imagine anybody going along with it in 2023.

Bob Huggins IS the guest you keep your finger near the dump button just in case lol.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:06 PM   #386
Swaggs
Coordinator

Someone suggested that part of his penalty should be to have PPV for his sensitivity training and give the proceeds to related charities...
Old 05-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #387
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
On the one hand, him still making $3.2M lessens the blow of a $1M deduction. On the other, I when I try to related it to me losing a) $1M or b) my income going down by 25%, it feels pretty substantial. When I think about just about anyone else saying what he said and keeping their job, it is still hard to fathom that he was able to keep his job, but it is pretty hard for anyone outside to understand/appreciate how much goodwill or (I guess) political capital he has at the university, in the state, and with the money folks.

I think the quick and apparently sincere apology went a long way. Also, he kinda of offended both sides of the aisle so to speak. I could see both sides not wanting to seen as trying to cancel Huggins after he apologized.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #388
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ruh roh

West Virginia's Bob Huggins booked on DUI charge in Pittsburgh - ESPN

And yes, it does seem as though the arrest occurred not far from the Taylor Swift concert (or so Twitter says)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-17-2023 at 10:10 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #389
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

not a good month for him
Old 06-17-2023, 11:34 AM   #390
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Ruh roh

West Virginia's Bob Huggins booked on DUI charge in Pittsburgh - ESPN

And yes, it does seem as though the arrest occurred not far from the Taylor Swift concert (or so Twitter says)

This, I can't see him surviving.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:05 PM   #391
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

10 of us went to NYC to see Hamilton last summer. We rented a limo because we knew we were going to eat, drink, and be merry.

It blows my mind whenever one of these guys who has literally made tens of millions don't take the necessary precautions.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:14 PM   #392
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
10 of us went to NYC to see Hamilton last summer. We rented a limo because we knew we were going to eat, drink, and be merry.

It blows my mind whenever one of these guys who has literally made tens of millions don't take the necessary precautions.

Huggs has struggled with alcoholism for years. A lot of people thought he had improved, but maybe he was just better at hiding it. There really is no understanding that disease.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #393
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Huggs has struggled with alcoholism for years. A lot of people thought he had improved, but maybe he was just better at hiding it. There really is no understanding that disease.

yeah, I get it. Just pisses me off that you are putting lives at risk when you have every resource available to avoid that. Where are the people close to him?
Old 06-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #394
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounds like Huggs will announce his retirement. Supposed to have a team meeting today to tell them first before an official announcement.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:09 AM   #395
Edward64
Head Coach

More of a football than basketball fan, but always good to read about Hogs doing well. We had lots of freshman talent apparently.

I think Hog basketball players (since the 90s) have achieved more in the pros than their NFL counterparts.

Arkansas players Anthony Black, Jordan Walsh, Ricky Council IV, Nick Smith Jr. in latest NBA mock drafts
Quote:
The 2023 NBA Draft is officially three days away and there are four Arkansas basketball players who are hoping to hear their names called Thursday evening.

Freshmen Anthony Black and Nick Smith Jr. are both basically locks to be selected in the first round, while freshman Jordan Walsh and junior Ricky Council IV are looking at being potential second round picks.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-20-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #396
Atocep
Coordinator

It looks like former Huggs assistant and current UAB coach Andy Kennedy will likely be the replacement for Huggs at WVU.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 PM   #397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It looks like former Huggs assistant and current UAB coach Andy Kennedy will likely be the replacement for Huggs at WVU.

Ole Miss fans say "have fun with that"
Old 06-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #398
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Ole Miss fans say "have fun with that"

Yeah, not super excited about it. But this is the safe hire to keep a final four talented team together.

June isn't the best time to go coach hunting. The other top options were Kelsey from Charleston and Ben McCollum from D2 NW Missouri State. Both have interesting resumes but added risk.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:26 PM   #399
Swaggs
Coordinator

I need to WVU to resolve this coaching thing. My work and general life level of productivity is not good when we have coaching openings.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:40 PM   #400
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I need to WVU to resolve this coaching thing. My work and general life level of productivity is not good when we have coaching openings.

Yeah it still sounds like Kennedy is still the likely guy but they're circling back and considering a 1 year interim and another search after the season. Wren supposedly has a lot of agents saying their guy is interested but can't leave their current job right now.