Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
There is a thread over at hawkeyenation. It is awesome.

How dumb of an AD are you to hire this guy?

I wouldn't think he's that much of a downgrade for them tbh. His winning percentage at NM was only a couple games different than what Musselman had during what was (I believe) the best four year span in UNR history.

Would I have wanted him to be Rick Barnes replacement in Knoxville? No.
Is this job out of his depth? Most likely also no.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #502
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That was my initial reaction as well but then I went back and looked at New Mexico and how they've done before and after him, and I can see why Nevada would be interested. He may have failed to live up to expectations at Iowa and UCLA, but he did quite well at New Mexico; significantly better than his immediate two predecessors and his successors, and arguably the best of any coach they've had.

Mid major may be his sweet spot. But the baggage this guy brings is pretty daunting.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #503
tarcone
Coordinator

Just saw an interesting stat on Alford. He averaged 19 wins at Missouri St. and 19 wins at Iowa. He won 26 games per year at NM and 23.4 wins at UCLA.

His personality is the problem.

23 wins a year at Neveda would be great I imagine.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:01 AM   #504
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Shows what I know. Looks like Bradziekis, Poole, and Matthews from Michigan are all going to be in the draft. Leaving fandom aside, I think it's a mistake. At least two of them would benefit significantly from another year in college. None of them were dominant players this year by any stretch or are sure-fire lottery picks. But it is what it is - I wish them well and maybe they prove me wrong.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #505
kurtism
High School Varsity

Lot of guys doing the "declare and then return" any more - they get to talk to an agent and confer with the NBA brass on what they need to work on. Odds are most of these guys come back next year.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #506
Atocep
Coordinator

There's little reason not to declare now. You can sign with an agent, go to the combine, work out with teams, and still return if you're not drafted.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There's little reason not to declare now. You can sign with an agent, go to the combine, work out with teams, and still return if you're not drafted.

Not quiiiiite (to the bolded part)

In order to return to their college team they have to withdraw themselves from the draft by May 29th (actual draft is June 20th).

They can go through all the stuff prior to that - get an agent, go to combines, workouts, etc - but they can't wait to see if they're actually drafted and then just come back if not.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #508
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not quiiiiite (to the bolded part)

In order to return to their college team they have to withdraw themselves from the draft by May 29th (actual draft is June 20th).

They can go through all the stuff prior to that - get an agent, go to combines, workouts, etc - but they can't wait to see if they're actually drafted and then just come back if not.

If you sign with a NCAA certified agent and you're invited to the combine and go undrafted you can return to school. That was announced in August and they have until 5pm the Monday following the draft to make that decision.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #509
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not talking about declaring though. They've all now said they intend to stay in the draft - I know you can withdraw and I thought that would happen once they got feedback on their prospects for at least the younger guys.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #510
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'm not talking about declaring though. They've all now said they intend to stay in the draft - I know you can withdraw and I thought that would happen once they got feedback on their prospects for at least the younger guys.

Not sure on their situation but it's also not uncommon now for guys to declare knowing they're not going to get drafted so they can get a jump start on a 6 figure salary overseas.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you sign with a NCAA certified agent and you're invited to the combine and go undrafted you can return to school. That was announced in August and they have until 5pm the Monday following the draft to make that decision.

I've seen one reference to that but obviously I ain't lonely in my misunderstanding then. (I've also seen a couple of references to what you mentioned being reported BUT never being confirmed by the NCAA since the players union & the league never signed onto some rules that went with it)

(I won't link cause I don't want to risk thread breakers)

SI dot com article from 2 days ago "Dozens of current NCAA players have entered the draft process, but they won't all be keeping their name in by the May 29 withdrawal deadline"

And the NCAA itself, in a memo to schools dated March 13, 2019
May 29 (11:59 p.m.) NCAA (post-Combine) withdrawal deadline.
hxxp://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/enforcement/2019ENF_NBAMemo.pdf
Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #512
digamma
Torchbearer

My understanding is along with Jon's. The NCAA has said that to regain eligibility they must withdraw by May 29 and terminate their representation contracts prior to the next academic term. As I understand it, the undrafted return rule proposal was contingent on agreeing that they wouldn't treat undrafted players as unrestricted free agents and the NBA hasn't done that.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #513
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure on their situation but it's also not uncommon now for guys to declare knowing they're not going to get drafted so they can get a jump start on a 6 figure salary overseas.
Yup. Washington's Jaylen Nowell will probably be a good test case of this approach. He's all-in for the draft and won't be returning to school even though most projections don't have him drafted. I'm sure he thinks he'll beat those odds, but he also knows he can still get paid by playing overseas or doing the G-League thing and trying to earn his way onto an NBA roster.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #514
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
My understanding is along with Jon's. The NCAA has said that to regain eligibility they must withdraw by May 29 and terminate their representation contracts prior to the next academic term. As I understand it, the undrafted return rule proposal was contingent on agreeing that they wouldn't treat undrafted players as unrestricted free agents and the NBA hasn't done that.

Yeah I'm seeing it now. The ncaa released it as as a pending rule and its still on their website but the nba has yet to make the rule change to draft eligibility.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #515
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yup. Washington's Jaylen Nowell will probably be a good test case of this approach. He's all-in for the draft and won't be returning to school even though most projections don't have him drafted. I'm sure he thinks he'll beat those odds, but he also knows he can still get paid by playing overseas or doing the G-League thing and trying to earn his way onto an NBA roster.

Devin Williams from WVU did this a couple of years ago. He had no hope of being drafted as a 6'6" old school power forward but his family needed the income so he declared knowing he was headed to the G-League or overseas.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #516
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa's Tyler Cook went through the process last season. He came back before the draft. This season he declared. So he is gone.

Iowa has a Frosh guard going through the process this season.

It is more of a "What do I need to work on to make it to he next level" process.

We will see a lot more players going through I imagine.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #517
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The full back-story on UCLA's coaching search:

The back story on UCLA’s long, strange search for a basketball coach - Los Angeles Times
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #518
britrock88
Pro Starter

Beilein to the NBA. Sigh.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #519
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good news for the rest of the Big Ten. That guy is a great coach.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #520
miami_fan
Coordinator

Howard returns to Michigan as new hoops coach

Good luck to Juwan.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 AM   #521
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure what I think of the Howard hire to be honest. Obviously I hope he does well, but I'm skeptical it's a good fit for Michigan vis a vis an established college HC.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #522
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Not sure what I think of the Howard hire to be honest. Obviously I hope he does well, but I'm skeptical it's a good fit for Michigan vis a vis an established college HC.

Im not sure how he will be as an in game coach, but I think he was the pick. An UM guy, a guy that will recruit, a fan favorite. He needs to surround himself with some good in game and skill development coaches. He does that and I think he will succeed.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #523
Logan
Head Coach

Top 2020 recruit RJ Hampton is forgoing a year in college and signed a one year deal to play in New Zealand.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 AM   #524
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Top 2020 recruit RJ Hampton is forgoing a year in college and signed a one year deal to play in New Zealand.

Bye.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #525
Kodos
Resident Alien

Men's college basketball 3-point line extended to international distance | NCAA.com

Also, the shot clock will now reset to 20 seconds.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-06-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #526
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure I like the 20 second clock. Then again, I dont like watching teams dribble for 20 seconds and then running a play with 10 left.

I will adapt and probably like it.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #527
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think it's a good change. Even if Indiana can't shoot 3s for shit.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #528
miami_fan
Coordinator

Andre Emmett death: Texas Tech star murdered in Dallas | SI.com
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #529
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
James Gatto, Merl Code and Christian Dawkins found guilty in college basketball pay-for-play trial

So how confident are college head coaches that these guys are going to be their Greg Andersons?

At this risk of evaluating these guys exclusively by their career paths and looks, I don't think they are built for time in the bing.

And now the NCAA have begun their trials. First up... Kansas

Source -- KU, Self hit with major NCAA violations
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #530
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
And now the NCAA have begun their trials. First up... Kansas

Source -- KU, Self hit with major NCAA violations

Even as someone who isn't nearly as down on the NCAA enforcement as the average person, I don't think there's a snowball's chance that KU gets more than a small handslap, if that.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #531
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What's crazy is the NCAA has had a ton more evidence against Kansas than Arizona or LSU the past two years - yet all ESPN could do was trumpet the attack on those two. Now that Kansas has clearly been caught with their hands in the cookie jar, it's radio silence from Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas... Can you imagine the onslaught from ESPN if this would have been Sean Miller and not Bill Self?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #532
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Maybe Kansas can investigate and clear themself like Duke & Coack K did.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #533
tarcone
Coordinator

Poor Kansas Wesleyan. They are going to lose a lot of scholarships and post seasons over this.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #534
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ga. Tech gets probation, 1-year postseason ban

This is just because everyone hates Josh Pastner right?

This made me LOL.

Quote:
"Adult entertainment has no place in the NCAA Collegiate Model," the committee said in its ruling. "It is particularly abhorrent in the recruiting process where coaches and others in a position of trust are responsible for the wellbeing of high school students visiting their campus.

Ok, NCAA. If you say so.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #535
bob
College Starter

Not that I ever expected GT basketball to make a comeback, but this is pretty much a death penalty. Guess someone had to get punished for Kansas.

Georgia Tech also gets four years probation, fine of 2% of the basketball budget, loss of one scholarship for four years, eight week ban on unofficial visits and recruiting communications, reduction of three official visits, loss of 19 recruiting days. Hammered.

For reference, this was the punishment for two self reported Level-1 violations that involved giving two players $525 and $750 in impermissible benefits.

Last edited by bob : 09-26-2019 at 01:28 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Can't lie, they pretty much got what they deserved.

I mean, you had Jarret f'n Jack slipping cash to recruits (and a player on the roster), ass't LaBarrie being a general p.o.s., the nutjob (now former) "friend" of Pastner's trying to snag a guy off the Memphis roster.

Hard to get upset at the penalties when you guilty a.f.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #537
bob
College Starter

On one hand, agreed. They were guilty. On the other hand:

- Self-reported the violations
- Fired the Assistant Coach
- Suspended the players who received impermissible benefits
- Determined Ron Bell is a psychopath
- Didn’t even get the recruit

And that gets 4 years of probation?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
And that gets 4 years of probation?

Serial offender, which the full report spoke harshly about.

5th time GT has faced a major violation, 3rd in the past eight years, 2nd time for the men's b'ball program.

Quote:
The panel assigns significant weight to Bylaw 19.9.3-(b), A history of Level I, Level II or major violations by the institution. ... Taken
together, these cases show a pattern of compliance issues at Georgia Tech with specific issues that continue to arise within the men's basketball program. As such, the panel assigns significant weight to Bylaw 19.9.3-(b).

They go on to cite similar weight applied to similar situations at FAMU and San Jose State.

The length of the probation was a lifetime achievement award.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #539
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow. If GT got that for a self report, what SHOULD Kansas get. I said should because they wont get much. But in comparison, shouldnt they get the actual death penalty?

I bet Kansas skates.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #540
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
But in comparison, shouldnt they get the actual death penalty?

Are they even eligible? While there's an avenue for it without this, the spectre of the death penalty really arises when you have a second major violation within five years of being on probation.

I'm not well-versed enough on KU disciplinary history to know if that would apply or not.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-26-2019 at 03:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote