Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 AM   #201
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thought it was harsh myself and I was definitely not supporting them ..

Me too. But I’m in favour of anything that annoys Neymar.

I'll always support a British team against a non-British team - I know it’s not universal though!

Last edited by AlexB : 03-07-2019 at 01:42 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #202
whomario
Pro Starter

People IMO need to accept that a defender isn't entitled to block a shot/cross. If he has to move his hands/arms out of the way to avoid them being hit, whose to say that isn't the proper 'way of things' as opposed to the attacker basically having to shoot a meter past him.

Overall one of the more astonishingly random wins by a team in recent memory. Show anybody that game and leave out the goals and ask him what the result was, nobody would remotely guess ManU was close much less won. But if you have so many brainfarts on defense and mess up great chances offensively you have only yourself to blame ...
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #203
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not sure what the complaints are from PSG. Definitely a penalty.
Maybe this is how UEFA alternatively punishes PSG because they failed so through financial fair play?

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-07-2019 at 01:36 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #204
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
People IMO need to accept that a defender isn't entitled to block a shot/cross. If he has to move his hands/arms out of the way to avoid them being hit, whose to say that isn't the proper 'way of things' as opposed to the attacker basically having to shoot a meter past him...

Because your arms are natural stabilsers. When you move, whether that be walking, running, jumping, twisting, falling, your ams help centralise balance. If you change direction suddenly, your arms naturally swing out in the opposite direction - if someone kicks a ball against your arms in an instance like this, it’s not deliberate handball.

If a player makes himself as big a target as possible by holding his arms out wide Schmeichel-esque, I agree. In this case, and many other instances, however, for me the ams were not in an unnatural position, rather just slightly beyond the bodyline through the effect of jumping and turning at the same time.

Extrapolate your point out, and it will get to the point where players will need to tape their arms to their sides to satisfy people, and we end up with a mix of football and Jeux Sans Frontiers

Next year’s rule here is that it’s not handball if your arms are in the position of a natural silhouette, which at least acknowledges that the only natural position is not having your hands behind your back, but it’s still a very grey area.

And at the same time they have made a rule that if a goal is scored that involves any contact with the hand/arm, deliberate or not, will be overruled.

So one slightly more liberal interpretation and the first move towards any contact with the hand/arm is a foul, at which point football becomes a game of aim to kick the ball against a defenders arms and appeal for the penalty. At which point the game will die that little bit more.

The definition of handball is becoming as absurd as a catch in the NFL.

Last edited by AlexB : 03-07-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #205
AlexB
Pro Starter

Oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47508257

Last edited by AlexB : 03-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #206
AlexB
Pro Starter

Some fucktard has just run onto the pitch and assaulted Jack Grealish in the Birmingham/Villa match (swinging arm from behind)

And the vast majority of Birmingham fans in that area are celebrating

WTF is wrong with society?

Last edited by AlexB : 03-10-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #207
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Some fucktard has just run onto the pitch and assaulted Jack Grealish in the Birmingham/Villa match (swinging arm from behind)

And the vast majority of Birmingham fans in that are celebrating

WTF is wrong with society?

Watching the Liverpool game and they just teased they have shocking news coming up. I am assuming this is it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #208
miami_fan
Coordinator

WTF??? (first reaction)

(Second reaction) When was the last time a club the size of Birmingham City has to play games behind closed doors in England?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnt. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnt. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havent the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I dont own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 03-10-2019 at 08:05 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #209
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw the video, crazy stuff.
How he was able to get all the way across the pitch like that is nuts. I hope he gets a lengthy prison sentence to deter others.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #210
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just realized this game is on ESPN+ so I will check out the buildup to the incident later.

Maybe an Aston Villa player jumped into the stands and assaulted someone first
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasnt. I have a voice on the radio, he hasnt. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I havent the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I dont own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #211
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Jack Grealish punched from behind by Birmingham City pitch invader! - YouTube
Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #212
kingfc22
Head Coach

Zidane back in at Madrid
Old 03-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #213
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jack Grealish - fan jailed for 14 weeks for assault on Aston Villa player in Birmingham derby

How the hell did this legal process happen so fast? I mean kudos but I mean from jumping on the pitch to 14 weeks in jail in what 30 hours?
Old 03-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #214
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jack Grealish - fan jailed for 14 weeks for assault on Aston Villa player in Birmingham derby

How the hell did this legal process happen so fast? I mean kudos but I mean from jumping on the pitch to 14 weeks in jail in what 30 hours?

That there were about 2 million witnesses and multiple cameras probably helped

I imagine it was explained to him that by admitting guilt early he would get a reduced sentence, and it meant he didnt have to go back home, as he had had multiple threats issued against him. Self preservation was probably a major in this, it will have calmed down in the 7 weeks when he is released
Old 03-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #215
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
That there were about 2 million witnesses and multiple cameras probably helped

I imagine it was explained to him that by admitting guilt early he would get a reduced sentence, and it meant he didnt have to go back home, as he had had multiple threats issued against him. Self preservation was probably a major in this, it will have calmed down in the 7 weeks when he is released

I dont have any evidence that it would not be the same here. It just feels like there would have been an initial hearing today and then sentencing would have happened next month.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #216
whomario
Pro Starter

Cant link it right now for some reason, but for the most weirdly amzing non-goal of the season put “Haraguchi snow Leverkusen“ into YouTube, just insane that that game wasnt postponed ...
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #217
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Cant link it right now for some reason, but for the most weirdly amzing non-goal of the season put Haraguchi snow Leverkusen into YouTube, just insane that that game wasnt postponed ...

I saw that, the guy did everything right too. Unlucky!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #218
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Chicago just signed a 14 year old GK. Definitely a little interesting - he does have dual US & Polish citizenship, so maybe this is a move to keep him from going to a European academy (or getting paid if he does). Chicago Fire Soccer Club Signs Academy Product Gabriel Slonina | Chicago Fire
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

The sport of soccer is just going to wait for the worst cast scenario before they take head injuries seriously aren't they?

Comment sparked by the Ospina injury in the Napoli v Udinese match.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #220
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just saw that. Beyond idiotic
Old 03-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #221
bhlloy
Coordinator

I shouldn't feel joy or happiness about the failing of another celtic nation, and nearly all the Scots I know are awesome people, but god damn if Scotland losing 3-0 in Kazakhstan who scored 6 goals total all of last qualifying campaign doesn't put an inexplicable smile on my face...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #222
miami_fan
Coordinator

Confirmed: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appointed as full-time Man Utd manager | Manchester United
Old 03-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #223
miami_fan
Coordinator

I leave the gym, get in the car and the Cardiff-Chelsea game comes on. Cardiff up 1-0. During the ten minute drive to my mom's house, Sarri subs on Giroux and the Chelsea fans are chanting "You don't know what you're doing!" and "We want Sarri out!". I leave the car, return to the car about 15 minutes later and Chelsea won the game 2-1? WTF
Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #224
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Talk about a mixed bag for Spurs, looks like they're going to steal a home Champions League win over Citeh, but Kane might be out for the rest of the season
Old 04-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Talk about a mixed bag for Spurs, looks like they're going to steal a home Champions League win over Citeh, but Kane might be out for the rest of the season

I know it is sacrilege but is it possible that Son has been better for them this season? More important?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #226
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ciao! Juve!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #227
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I havent seen Ajax play all season and I dont know if yesterday was a fluke or not. But damn! What an impressive team to watch. The way the move, move the ball, and play as a team was really fun to watch. Reminded me of Arsenal back in the day.

I was so impressed I watched that whole damn game in Spanish since it was the only channel offered.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #228
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess I missed some things in the first twenty minutes of Man City v Spurs game.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #229
bhlloy
Coordinator

That is the greatest game for a neutral I think I've ever seen. On reflection VAR got it right, on the other hand it's incredible that somehow City didn't win that. What an unbelievable game.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I missed some things in the first twenty minutes of Man City v Spurs game.
Missed some things in the last 5 too if you weren't watching!

I guess I don't understand the offside rule if Erikson was passing it back (incredibly stupidly) and it merely deflected off a City player to Aguero.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #231
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That is the greatest game for a neutral I think I've ever seen.

Agreed...I can think back to past finals when United beat Bayern in '99 on 2 late goals and Liverpool's comeback against Milan in '05 as good games, but this one was on another level with all of the emotional ebbs and flows, the stakes involved, the weight of City hoping to win a Champions League title under Pep, and Pochettino just trying to keep Spurs from being Spursy without Harry Kane. And who would have thought Llorente would be the guy who scores the winning goal, but does it completely accidentally in such controversial fashion? Craziest match I think I've ever seen.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #232
bhlloy
Coordinator

I didn't understand the Llorente substitution in any way shape or form, I guess joke is on me given he won the game for them in the sense that it bounced off his hip/hand? Kinda ironic given all the insane talent and skill on that field that it was such a crappy goal from such a questionably talented player that won it. Just a bizarre game all around.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #233
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Missed some things in the last 5 too if you weren't watching!

I guess I don't understand the offside rule if Erikson was passing it back (incredibly stupidly) and it merely deflected off a City player to Aguero.

Well I missed the visuals but I did catch the radio call.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #234
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
I havent seen Ajax play all season and I dont know if yesterday was a fluke or not. But damn! What an impressive team to watch. The way the move, move the ball, and play as a team was really fun to watch. Reminded me of Arsenal back in the day.

I was so impressed I watched that whole damn game in Spanish since it was the only channel offered.
Not a fluke, this is Ajax as it has been all season. They reminded me of, well, Ajax. The team from the mid '90s.

I have to admit, I postponed my UEFA Champions League boycott for a bit to allow myself to watch this return match.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #235
miked
College Starter

Ugh, another bad loss by ATLUTD. The only saving grace was a PK in injury time. I'm not sure you can blame de Boer when we hit 2 posts and miss 2 open goals, but the players seem so uninspired and confused out on the pitch. It could not be a more different style than Tata last year.

On a side note, it seems to be the new tactic to beat Atlanta. Just lay on the pitch rolling around every 5 minutes. Last night's game had 11+ minutes of total stoppage time (most if not all of it from Dallas), a yellow card on the Dallas goalie for time wasting, and a lot of fouls. One guy on Dallas rolled around for 2 minutes, called for a stretcher, and as soon as the stretcher got to him, got up and jogged off the pitch.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #236
miami_fan
Coordinator

Another reason why players need to throw themselves on the ground to get penalties.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #237
miami_fan
Coordinator

We always discuss how far teams should and do take sportsmanship in leiu of winning. In soccer, it mainly comes up as to whether teams should stop play when a player is injured or play on and make the referee stop play. This came up in this two clips.

Back Story:
Leeds United (in white) was fighting to get into the second automatic promotion spot from the English Championship to the Preimier League. They played Aston Villa and this happened.

and then Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa told his team to do this

Match ended in a draw. Leeds now have to go through the playoffs.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We always discuss how far teams should and do take sportsmanship in leiu of winning.

Zero doubt I'd sack the manager.
Very iffy whether I'd retain any player except the one who tried to defend.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #239
Critch
lolzcat

Play to the whistle. It wasnt Leeds fault that Villa didnt, it's not their responsibility to stop the game when Villa had a player down, it's up to the referee to blow the whistle if he thinks the injury is serious. If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be annoyed at Bielsa gifting the equalizer.

Not that it really makes any difference, Leeds wouldnt be getting the automatic promotion spot even with a win today.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #240
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Play to the whistle. It wasnt Leeds fault that Villa didnt, it's not their responsibility to stop the game when Villa had a player down, it's up to the referee to blow the whistle if he thinks the injury is serious. If I was a Leeds fan, I'd be annoyed at Bielsa gifting the equalizer.

Not that it really makes any difference, Leeds wouldnt be getting the automatic promotion spot even with a win today.

I agree. I am 100% percent convinced that Bielsa does not do the same thing if the spying controversy does not happen earlier in the season. Here was his quote from after the game

Quote:
"We gave the goal back," Bielsa said. "English football is known for its sportsmanship, so I don't need to comment on this kind of thing, which is common in English football."

That sounds like something you would say after you were found guilty of not acting in utmost good faith.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #241
miami_fan
Coordinator

it will be interesting to hear what other managers say this week when asked. I am seeing a few “fair plays” already. Unwritten rules, I tell ya.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:38 AM   #242
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

No offense, but the Leeds player on the ball clearly indicated he was going to stop playing, then played that pass into space, creating the chance.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 AM   #243
whomario
Pro Starter

Also, this Messi guy is half decent

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1123709192064446464

Last edited by whomario : 05-02-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #244
miami_fan
Coordinator

I burst out in uncontrollable laughter when I saw it. Just ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #245
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I burst out in uncontrollable laughter when I saw it. Just ridiculous.

I was rooting for Liverpool because i always had a soft spot for them and Klopp is a Dortmund legend, but ... Once you see Messi play and he is on his game (and he was yesterday), you can't even be mad/sad about 'your' team losing.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #246
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are Spurs players intentionally trying to get sent off in order to rest for the Champions League match?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #247
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
We always discuss how far teams should and do take sportsmanship in leiu of winning. In soccer, it mainly comes up as to whether teams should stop play when a player is injured or play on and make the referee stop play. This came up in this two clips.

Back Story:
Leeds United (in white) was fighting to get into the second automatic promotion spot from the English Championship to the Preimier League. They played Aston Villa and this happened.

and then Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa told his team to do this

Match ended in a draw. Leeds now have to go through the playoffs.

Sportsmanship/Play to the whistle Part Two

Plymouth Argyle and Scunthorpe United both trying to avoid relegation from English League One. Forward the video to the 1:05 mark

Plymouth v Scunthorpe - YouTube
Old 05-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #248
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Well, 11 games into the season and FC Cincinnati has fired Alan Koch, Yoann Damet takes over as interim coach.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #249
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As interim. Apparently David Moyes and Alan Pardew have been linked to the job.. which may not be terrible for FCC at the moment.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #250
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
As interim. Apparently David Moyes and Alan Pardew have been linked to the job.. which may not be terrible for FCC at the moment.

I would be happy with both, I was not a huge Koch fan. He coached like a scout, roll the ball out and let the players make plays. He was great for roster construction, but after our first few games, teams basically bunkered down and played the counter. Since we never had a plan in the attack besides making a play, we've been held scoreless for a ton of minutes.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote