Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Rise of Nations, MP

Neuqua and I have had a few good battles (OK, I killed him) and I wanted to see if anybody else was interested in playing some MP campaigns. Leave your AIM name as well!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

MrBug708

I don't have the game though.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is the game worth the $30 on it? Do you have to buy the expansion pack to play MP?
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:12 AM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

GE - yes it is worth it, no you dont need the expansion. You can get it for 25 also.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 05-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I happen to have an unused Best Buy gift certificate handy, and I might use it on something like this. But I was wondering if anyone could give me the quick skinny on this.

Maybe a quick review. Particularly, if you can compare it with the Civ series, and contrast the differences, and also talk about the war parts (which, from the screenshots, seem more detailed and MTW-like). I like the all-around civ-building game, but I have to admit to being intrigued if we actually get controlled combat fighting as well.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ey Chief there are a bunch of RoN threads here at FOFC if you're willing to do a search.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:55 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Ey Chief there are a bunch of RoN threads here at FOFC if you're willing to do a search.

Yeah, but then I would have to search for them and then read them. Can'tya just tell me?

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:01 AM   #8
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I would love to play Thrones and Patriots sometime with someone here. AIM name is Maiz23.

Quick review: The new Conquer the World campaigns offer a ton of varied missions which adds a lot of fun game play. I have invested a lot of time (perhaps over 100 hours) playing through the campaigns, including a couple from multiple sides, and am still not bored. I haven't played it multi yet so I can't say how the new civs stack up, but they seem like solid additions.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel
Neuqua and I have had a few good battles (OK, I killed him) and I wanted to see if anybody else was interested in playing some MP campaigns. Leave your AIM name as well!

i have RoN (didn't pick up the expansion) and would be ready and willing to give it a go.

I don't have AIM (shudders) but i can PM you my email address.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #10
druez
Banned

I play RON T&P and it is great. I play multiplayer all the time on gamespy. If you don't have the game its well worth picking up.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I have RoN, no expansion pack. AIM would be DaddyOfNick. I don't know when I would actually be able to play, and am often on that AIM when at work as well. I have not played in a while and would be out of practice, so probably a quick kill.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I probably won't have time to play before I leave town this week, but I have the original and expansion pack. AIM is benelou. If I am able to play any, it would be in the 8pm-10pm EDT range on Mon-Tue-Wed.

--Ben
Old 05-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I love Rise of Nations.

When I have played too much Battlefield and other mods, RON is what is a nice change of pace for me.

The expansion is fun. I love playing as the indians.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:52 PM   #14
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We will probably try to get a game going tonight. Not sure what time but it won't likely be until 10pm EST.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Bah. Life sucks with crappy dial-up access at home.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:20 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
We will probably try to get a game going tonight. Not sure what time but it won't likely be until 10pm EST.
If I'm online, IM me. The wife and I are about to watch RotK (came a day early), and I'm not sure when I'll go to bed.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #17
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Definitely message me as well. I won't get on AIM unless I know I am free from family/household obligations.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
i have RoN (didn't pick up the expansion) and would be ready and willing to give it a go.

I don't have AIM (shudders) but i can PM you my email address.

go ahead and do that, and i will try to get you a time and place.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:35 AM   #19
Bonegavel

Quote:
go ahead and do that, and i will try to get you a time and place.

PM away.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #20
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Got it.

We had a good game last night with Neuqua, Tekneek and myself.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #21
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Got it.

We had a good game last night with Neuqua, Tekneek and myself.

I was quickly eliminated once the big powers set their sights on me. I managed to tinker around over in my corner for a long time, though.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:45 PM   #22
Raven
College Prospect

how long does it take to play out a MP game of 2-3 players?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #23
Barkeep49
Coordinator

If you play again soon please think about im'ing me. I would really love to join a game.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Raven,
Our games usually last a little more than an hour long, depending on how quickly Marmel wants to dismantle everybody
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:11 PM   #25
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I need to get better before I try MP
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:24 AM   #26
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
I need to get better before I try MP

I've found that no amount of outside work gets you really prepared for MP. It's something you have to dive into. All the strategy I ever used against the AI, even in the highest settings, does not yield the same results against real players.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #27
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
I've found that no amount of outside work gets you really prepared for MP. It's something you have to dive into. All the strategy I ever used against the AI, even in the highest settings, does not yield the same results against real players.

Indeed, which is why human MP will be hard to beat by any AI for quite some time.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:58 AM   #28
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

We had a very late night game last night. Neuqua is a fine player, but really made a huge error in judgement in this game.

6 nations, Neuq and I are seperated basically by 2 other nations. I am in the north, he in the south. I take out the nothern of the 2 AI nations in between us. I notice his capital city is tucked away nicely from my point of view, but is actually really close to the AI's border. So I propose an alliance with Neuq so I can move my troops into his land. I position them on that border, hoping to make him think I will attack the AI from that position. Instead, I break our alliance, declare war and start out on his capital's doorstep. I send in 6 stealth bomber, reduce the city to rubble, and stroll down the red carpet he had set up for my ground troops. Game over.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #29
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

dola...

bonegavel, i got your PM, and will email you. Last night's game got under way at like 1am, so i didnt bother. I also have the AIM names of you guys who posted, and I do check to see if you are online when we are getting ready.

Rumor has it bsak has already ordered the game, so we are starting to grow a nice group here. Maybe one day we will have 8 human controlled teams in one game. *faints*

Old 05-26-2004, 08:11 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

When I get back from Colorado, I am going to devote myself to kicking all of your tails.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:16 AM   #31
Bonegavel

Quote:
dola...

bonegavel, i got your PM, and will email you. Last night's game got under way at like 1am, so i didnt bother. I also have the AIM names of you guys who posted, and I do check to see if you are online when we are getting ready.

Rumor has it bsak has already ordered the game, so we are starting to grow a nice group here. Maybe one day we will have 8 human controlled teams in one game. *faints*

Sweet. This should be fun fun fun. If you can avoid Tues/Thurs between 9-11 PM that would be appreciated - those are our FOFC City of Heroes nights
Old 05-26-2004, 10:20 AM   #32
RainRaven
High School JV

I had played the demo of RON not too long ago and was intrigued but not for 50 bucks it was then... might have to revisit it again
Old 05-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #33
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
We had a very late night game last night. Neuqua is a fine player, but really made a huge error in judgement in this game.

6 nations, Neuq and I are seperated basically by 2 other nations. I am in the north, he in the south. I take out the nothern of the 2 AI nations in between us. I notice his capital city is tucked away nicely from my point of view, but is actually really close to the AI's border. So I propose an alliance with Neuq so I can move my troops into his land. I position them on that border, hoping to make him think I will attack the AI from that position. Instead, I break our alliance, declare war and start out on his capital's doorstep. I send in 6 stealth bomber, reduce the city to rubble, and stroll down the red carpet he had set up for my ground troops. Game over.

Uhh... that's pretty fucking cheap, dude.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #34
RainRaven
High School JV

Actually by that description I just find it to be one hell of a backstab. If at the end of the game the idea is to be the lone guy standing and you give another human opp. an oppurtunity to roll through your lands without any oversight then He had it coming anyways, it could've been damn funny to be on the recieving end of that after he relized what Marmel had pulled off
Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #35
Bonegavel

[begins scribbling on piece of paper]
Note to self, "ally with Marmel only after removing left testicle with butter knife."
Old 05-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven
Actually by that description I just find it to be one hell of a backstab. If at the end of the game the idea is to be the lone guy standing and you give another human opp. an oppurtunity to roll through your lands without any oversight then He had it coming anyways, it could've been damn funny to be on the recieving end of that after he relized what Marmel had pulled off

Well, Neuqua was an idiot to make the alliance, no doubt. Why bother allying against an AI nation, anyway? They're not that hard to defeat in the first place. I sure as hell wouldn't grant a right of passage to any human opponent. If they want to tackle a nation that is on my border, they can take the long way around or just suck eggs.

Still, it's a pretty cheap tactic. Doing so against an AI nation would be considered an exploit...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:59 PM   #37
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The reason the victory ended up being so easy for Marm was when we are the only two human owners left, every other time we played a game, we waited to take out the other nations before we set battle against ourselves. The move was cheap, he knows it. It was my fault that I did not have more defenders against my capital but the RoN citizen cap was killing me and I could not build anymore soldiers.

He knows that should our countries have gone in battle last night, mine would have wiped the floor with his and that is why he made the move. Lucky guy. You'll get what's coming though.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #38
RainRaven
High School JV

I did indeed pick up the game this afternoon but not the expansion. Is playing single player going to be helpful at all or should I just jump right into the MP action and learn on the go that way?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have the game now, too. But Marmel scares me.

CR

Old 05-26-2004, 03:31 PM   #40
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Rain,
I'd just check out the tutorial once or twice and you should begin to get a hang of what to do and what not to do.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:10 PM   #41
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Sure it was cheap. But we never had an alliance throughout the whole game, and suddenly I propose one, and then suddenly I have a bunch of troops on his doorstep, and he never saw it coming? Plus he was so trash talking before the game it was not even funny.

And he is right, just based on army size, he could have wiped me out hard at that point in the game.

But, I think all these different options available to you are what makes the game great. Next time I could I play the good guy the whole way through, anf the following time I could forget the citizens and just build a massive ground army, and the next time I can build a huge air force....

Old 05-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #42
heybrad
Norm!!!

With all of this talk I'll be dusting off my copy of RoN. Do I have to have the expansion also to play with you guys?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #43
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
With all of this talk I'll be dusting off my copy of RoN. Do I have to have the expansion also to play with you guys?

as asked by GE previously and thusly answered by marmel:
GE - yes it is worth it, no you dont need the expansion. You can get it for 25 also.(referring to RoN)
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #44
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hoping to get something going around 9:30ish EST.....who's up for it tonight?

Old 05-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #45
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Hang on, lemme go take my Levitra...
Old 05-26-2004, 07:10 PM   #46
Bonegavel

Quote:
I should be good to go tonight.

[edit]
Franklinoble, I'm married. I don't understand your joke?

Last edited by Bonegavel : 05-26-2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #47
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I should be good to go tonight.

[edit]
Franklinoble, I'm married. I don't understand your joke?

www.levitra.com

Your wife will appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #48
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
www.levitra.com

Your wife will appreciate it.
Don't know if you read it the first time... i'm married, I don't get your joke.

Hey Marmel, is 930 still game time?

[edit]

just received and replied to your email... hopefully there will be others. Oh, I only have RoN and not the expansion.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 05-26-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:06 PM   #49
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Don't know if you read it the first time... i'm married, I don't get your joke.

Hey Marmel, is 930 still game time?

Ah... I'm a little slow today... I get it.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 PM   #50
Shucker
n00b

OK, Rise of Nations, great concept, great reviews. I pick it up, being an old Civ 3 guy. The problem I have with the game is that you seem to be able to rumble through the tech so damned fast, maxing out relatively quickly. That took the fun out of it when I could build these great weapons and go knock out a city, but didn't have enough to hold it. It became just a game of attrition and seemed to stalemate like WWI. I got tired of it and put it down not long after I got it.

I am admitedly a poor player. I was playing on like the next to lowest level, maybe one higher, I don't remember. It just seemed to easy to max the tech and then there wasn't much worth shooting for but anhilating the easy ones until it was a stalemate of titans.

What are your comments? Any patches I am unaware of? It would be cool to play MP, but I pity the fool that gets me on their team.
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote