Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #451
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Mizz I played the original for a few months but like TCY, FOFC it felt too 2001 UI and graphics. The new game look sgreat and makes long gaming much more enjoyable (YMMV)

Thanks.. I loved the old, simple interface!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #452
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks.. I loved the old, simple interface!

Yeah, the original FBCB interface is probably the best there has been in any sport sim IMO. As soon as the new version launched and I saw that it had been GDS-ified in the interface department I was concerned as their interfaces (and the numerous RTE's that occur as a result of those interfaces) are the biggest problem with those games - despite how modern and stylish they look.

Thankfully HR has once again nailed it IMO. The menu running down the left side of the screen and the exit buttons on the screens in the main frame both make this version nearly as quick and easy as the original version, while making the game look far more modern. The looks side of things isn't a huge deal for me, but I know it will be with others.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #453
Icy
Pro Starter

I like the interface, my only issue is finding the "minimize" button as i'm too used to the windows looking ones with just the "_".

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #454
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett13 View Post
Chance of a release this week?

yeah, pretty please Having the easter weekend with very few plans and shitty weather in front of me ...

As for the changes : Only demo-player, but i canīt go back even anymore. Yes, the UI worked with the old version but when playing the new one it is a pain having to navigate through it. There are options/tables i rarely/never looked at that now with the new version regularly look up, just because itīs much faster to navigate imo.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #455
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sorry but

Are you fucking kidding us? Why does everyone wnat to turn this game into FM or OOTP. The latter basically destroying a good game years ago before SI and please keep face the hell out of my sports text sims!

Quote:
Mizz I played the original for a few months but like TCY, FOFC it felt too 2001 UI and graphics. The new game look sgreat and makes long gaming much more enjoyable (YMMV)

Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #456
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, the original FBCB interface is probably the best there has been in any sport sim IMO. As soon as the new version launched and I saw that it had been GDS-ified in the interface department I was concerned as their interfaces (and the numerous RTE's that occur as a result of those interfaces) are the biggest problem with those games - despite how modern and stylish they look.

Thankfully HR has once again nailed it IMO. The menu running down the left side of the screen and the exit buttons on the screens in the main frame both make this version nearly as quick and easy as the original version, while making the game look far more modern. The looks side of things isn't a huge deal for me, but I know it will be with others.

HAHA.. the first thing I thought about when I saw a screenshot was GDS-ified.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #457
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I was never a fan of any of them, FM/SI a few years back but they have grown into behemoths in my opinion. FOF/TCY makes me feel like I am working a old version of excel or something. game play is good but I need a little semblance of a professional interface or UI more correctly. Functionally it is alright but appearance sake is an eye sore (YMMV)

Last edited by Galaril : 04-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #458
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't want to speak for gstelmack, but your two statements seemed to contridict one another.

First you said you don't want face gen, assuming that is because it includes graphics, or it is just eye candy.

In the next statement you said you want a pretty looking UI and graphics.

Perhaps I am assuming too much about why you are against Facegen.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #459
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I don't want to speak for gstelmack, but your two statements seemed to contridict one another.

First you said you don't want face gen, assuming that is because it includes graphics, or it is just eye candy.

Maybe he doesn't want stuff like that too detailed. The player could be stalked because of his looks in some later version or something like that, why must he deal with that in the game too. Some people just want stats, and pretty graphics. Maybe fireworks going off in the background. This might not be excatly what he was going after.

I was so sick for weeks, I'm just now getting pumped for this game. The two star players developing into great players will make this worth the money alone. I loved the old interface, I'm sure I'll get used to the new one.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #460
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

That was pretty much it for me. You either want a pretty interface, or you don't. To rail on someone for wanting graphics, then complaining about FOF's sparse interface, seems contradictory.

I'm one who is really more concerned about function and could care less about pretty. I've complained about FOF's interface before, but far more from the "why can't I open more than one window at once?" and "why is gameplanning so difficult?" than from the spreadsheety feel of it. I'm fine with that feel, I just wish it were easier to use, which has nothing to do with prettyfiing it.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #461
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was pretty much it for me. You either want a pretty interface, or you don't. To rail on someone for wanting graphics, then complaining about FOF's sparse interface, seems contradictory.

I'm one who is really more concerned about function and could care less about pretty. I've complained about FOF's interface before, but far more from the "why can't I open more than one window at once?" and "why is gameplanning so difficult?" than from the spreadsheety feel of it. I'm fine with that feel, I just wish it were easier to use, which has nothing to do with prettyfiing it.

Yeah, I missed that they did contradict each other. I guess I was never a fan of face gen. But, I also never a fan of the look and feel of TCY/FOF which I know on here is sacrilege but I said it. I never really hated GDS or in particular WOLVERINE's games so I am in the minority.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #462
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think facegen is great. What makes it really remarkable in ootp is the way the players change uniforms when they go to a new team and they way they age as they get older.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #463
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just downloaded this today and I must say I'm very impressed. This will be an immediate buy upon release for me.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #464
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Please note the following logo name fixes in the final version of the teams file:

swmissouristate.gif > missouristate.gif
swtexasstate.gif > texasstate.gif
troystate.gif > troy.gif
wisconsingreenbay.gif > greenbay.gif
wisconsinmilwaukee.gif > milwaukee.gif
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #465
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Please note the following logo name fixes in the final version of the teams file:

swmissouristate.gif > missouristate.gif
swtexasstate.gif > texasstate.gif
troystate.gif > troy.gif
wisconsingreenbay.gif > greenbay.gif
wisconsinmilwaukee.gif > milwaukee.gif

Are we getting any closer to release?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #466
LloydLungs
College Prospect

HR posted on the FB board last night that he was putting the final touches on it and hoped to finish it last night. So I have my hopes up for a well-timed Final Four Day release today, but you never know. I'm in "check every few minutes mode" till HR says otherwise.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #467
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
HR posted on the FB board last night that he was putting the final touches on it and hoped to finish it last night. So I have my hopes up for a well-timed Final Four Day release today, but you never know. I'm in "check every few minutes mode" till HR says otherwise.

This will not be good for my productivity levels this weekend.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #468
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #469
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Checked out the demo (never played the game previous) and really enjoyed it. Seems much less cumbersome and overwhelming than DDSCB. Definitely need to read up on what the ratings mean and in some cases I'm not even sure what the ratings abbreviations stand for? Amazing stuff though, can't believe this is coming out of Spokane!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #470
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When you hover over the ratings abbreviations, it doesn't tell you what they stand for?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #471
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry but

Are you fucking kidding us? Why does everyone wnat to turn this game into FM or OOTP. The latter basically destroying a good game years ago before SI and please keep face the hell out of my sports text sims!

How the hell does adding a picture to the name destroy a game. I think you've got to be the one fucking kidding.

Because you add graphics to a game doesnt make it FM or OOTP athough I dont see what would be so bad about going that direction. FM is the top selling sports sim out there so Im guessing that would make Brian quite happy.

You always have version one of FBCB if you dislike change so much.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #472
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
When you hover over the ratings abbreviations, it doesn't tell you what they stand for?

Just checked again, and no it doesn't. Guess I'll just ask right now, what do these stand for:

Hnd (I assume Handle)
Psd (Post D?)
Prd (Perimeter D?)

Eh, actually, I probably figured it out. Just need to experiment and find out which ratings constitute a particular type of player.

Also, have to say I love how quick the game loads.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #473
whomario
Pro Starter

@ bigsmooth , this should help :

FBCB Strategy - Front Office Football Central

wonīt all hold true with the new version, but should be a good read while getting your feet wet, so to speak Canīt wait for the game, although the price posted at FBB forum (34.95) seems a bit steep ...

Last edited by whomario : 04-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #474
Emmett13
Mascot

A release today would be sweeter than sweet.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #475
Emmett13
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
@ bigsmooth , this should help :

FBCB Strategy - Front Office Football Central

wonīt all hold true with the new version, but should be a good read while getting your feet wet, so to speak Canīt wait for the game, although the price posted at FBB forum (34.95) seems a bit steep ...

That's how much most text sims are, aren't they? Seems right in line for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #476
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's how much most text sims are, aren't they? Seems right in line for me.

just checked and yeah you are right, propably had a bit too good of timing "finding"/buying games when they were on sale in the past (or pre-order cheaper)
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #477
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
How the hell does adding a picture to the name destroy a game. I think you've got to be the one fucking kidding.

Because you add graphics to a game doesnt make it FM or OOTP athough I dont see what would be so bad about going that direction. FM is the top selling sports sim out there so Im guessing that would make Brian quite happy.

You always have version one of FBCB if you dislike change so much.

I never said I don't like change so much that type of personality sure wouldn't be beneficial in my line of work. There is a difference between good change and just change. I just hated the direction SI took OOTP beside facegen the whole let's have a double AA affiliate in Zambia thing did it for me.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #478
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I never said I don't like change so much that type of personality sure wouldn't be beneficial in my line of work. There is a difference between good change and just change. I just hated the direction SI took OOTP beside facegen the whole let's have a double AA affiliate in Zambia thing did it for me.

I did not agree with the decision to allow double AA affiliates in Zambia or Mars for the matter either. That is quite a bit different than adding a face to a name which numerous sims already have. It may seem like something stupid to you but I like to have a picture next to a name. It helps me remember that player better and I can visualize what kind of a player he is.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #479
Emmett13
Mascot

Facegen is nice in OOTP. But in DDS games it's the same 80 or so faces over and over and it sucks.

Never even thought about it as being in FBCB. Don't you have to pay for the rights to use it anyways? Imagine that's expensive.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #480
Emmett13
Mascot

Just had 15 seed San Diego State make an Elite Eight.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #481
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

There are a couple ways of doing using Facegen. You can generate a bunch of faces using the software and then randomly assign them to players. This is what Bowl Bound did and I'm pretty sure what DDS does. Like Emmett said everyone looks like brothers. We talked about it and decided that option really isn't worth it. The other option is to include the facegen software within your game. I'm not sure of the cost on that at the moment but I may look into it in the future.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #482
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Pretty sure the official release is going to be Monday. I may allow some people to "preorder" as soon as I get this game manual updated though. Being that it is a holiday weekend, I'm the only one around for support.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #483
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I'll volunteer to pre-order and take my chances that there won't be support for the weekend.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #484
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I'll volunteer to pre-order and take my chances that there won't be support for the weekend.

Same here.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #485
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

By the way, I see that under each coach is a drop down and one of the tabs is Mentors. Can't wait to see how that works in a long term career. Thanks for getting that in there!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #486
Emmett13
Mascot

Also, like to pre-order!

I've got tests and junk all week, so I won't be able to play much until Thursday.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #487
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just hated the direction SI took OOTP beside facegen the whole let's have a double AA affiliate in Zambia thing did it for me.

You do realize that you'd have to create a AA affiliate in Zambia, right? It doesn't exist in any league setup by default. Furthermore all leagues in OOTP are the same they just use different modifiers relative to MLB (if you are playing a real world game) or to each other and the parent league.

You could take a current setup of MLB and American minor leagues, transfer all of the minor leagues to third world countries and nothing in the game would actually change as long as you didn't change any of the minor league modifiers or settings. I don't know of anyone that would or has done this and don't see any reason why anyone would, but then if someone sitting in the privacy of their own home playing a solo league wants to why would it bother me? OOTP really gets an unfair rap on this with people perpetuating the "Zambia" leagues like this is what the game is about or has a default setting especially when, in truth I believe\hope, they know better.

I suppose one could ask why were any of these obscure countries (in relation to baseball) included? Simple the "world file" already existed at SI for FM. OOTP was looking to include countries like Japan, Korea, Mexico, any real baseball playing countries, along with winter leagues. Adding these countries was easy with the existing "world file". I suppose they could have either created a new file with only the countries they wanted or used the existing "world file" and remove all of the countries they didn't want. Which would entail more work? Including it didn't cost OOTP anything but opened a world for a few people that may, for whatever reason, want to use it.

Time for some to move on from what isn't, and never was, an issue. My 2 cents
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #488
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I just cannot wait for the final release, Its going so well HR, great job and keep up the great work.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #489
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I keep playing this like 5 hours a day, my wife is starting to get angry, but I just keep telling her, I'm helping the game honey. lol
Old 04-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #490
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

yes yes
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #491
Emmett13
Mascot

Hell! I don't even need the manual! I didn't even know the last game had a manual.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #492
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Hell! I don't even need the manual! I didn't even know the last game had a manual.

Ditto.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #493
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would "pre order" as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #494
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Ditto
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #495
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

OK, I'll probably regret doing it this way but anyone who wants the link to the file send me a pm. No sharing. I'll handle any issues until the release through pm as well.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #496
CraigSca
Pro Starter

pm sent
how do you know?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #497
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Thanks, Brian -- good luck with the release! You've done great work over the years.

Anybody gives you grief with support over the weekend, let me know. I'll be glad to crack some skulls.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #498
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Is this the final version? Just be careful - wouldn't want you to lose sales if you're just sending out the executable.
how do you know?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #499
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ah - my bad - you have to purchase it once it's installed. never mind
how do you know?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #500
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Is this the final version? Just be careful - wouldn't want you to lose sales if you're just sending out the executable.

Agreed.. I figured it was a link to purchase?

Also, where do you get dem perty logos?