Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #651
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Considering he was in baseball for 72 years, yes.

That was my first thought too, but then I looked it up. Comparing to the guys Logan mentioned (and adding 3 other HOF'ers)

Smith 4x in 18 seasons
Rivera 3x in 19
Hoffman 2x in 18
Eck 2x in 12 (as reliever)
Fingers 3x in 17
Gossage 3x in 21 (as reliever)
Sutter 5x in 12
Wilhelm 0x in 19

In that regard, his ratio of leading the league is on par or better than all but one
Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #652
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's really weird... I'll admit that I don't follow baseball nearly as much as I used to. I buy the MLB package every year and watch quite a bit of baseball, but I don't really get deep into it like I used to. But am I crazy that baseball coverage seems to be dying out? Is this another example of ESPN setting the agenda like they did with the NHL 10-15 years ago? I know ESPN dumped their nightly Baseball Tonight show and laid off a bunch of baseball writers. Now baseball seems out of sight, out of mind.

My point is, I had no idea this first round of old timer HoF voting was happening, nor was I aware that the winter meetings started today. And I had to google it to find out - I just knew the winter meetings usually happened between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You are not alone with this one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #653
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Another one is the Goldschmidt trade. If I didn't follow a bunch of baseball people on Twitter, I'm not sure I would have known about it for a couple of days.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #654
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Another one is the Goldschmidt trade. If I didn't follow a bunch of baseball people on Twitter, I'm not sure I would have known about it for a couple of days.

It was on the top 3-4 headlines on espn dot com for at least 12-24 hours after it was announced. Similar with the Baines & Smith news, that was top 1-2 items for at least a night once it hit the wires.

My point being simply that if they were trying to bury it entirely then that wouldn't seem likely to be the case.

I suspect the difference in perception here may come from online vs on-air.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #655
Ksyrup

I think it has more to do with where online I get my news nowadays. I haven't visited ESPN.com (or any other sports news sites) in at least 5 years. All scores I get on my phone app and news is usually on Twitter which is hit or miss depending on when I'm on. I get push notifications for teams I follow but I try not to get overwhelmed with all sorts of league notifications. Years ago MLB Rumors was a go-to site but I just don't use the web like that anymore.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #656
Logan
Head Coach

In my own day to day "universe", the current MLB topics are definitely getting a lot of play and I'd say even beyond the NBA. That's probably because the Mets are being active, the Yankees are being quiet (which is news), and the top names both in terms of FAs and trade candidates feel more high profile than usual. Think any differences are just driven by how you consume it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #657
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was my first thought too, but then I looked it up. Comparing to the guys Logan mentioned (and adding 3 other HOF'ers)

Smith 4x in 18 seasons
Rivera 3x in 19
Hoffman 2x in 18
Eck 2x in 12 (as reliever)
Fingers 3x in 17
Gossage 3x in 21 (as reliever)
Sutter 5x in 12
Wilhelm 0x in 19

In that regard, his ratio of leading the league is on par or better than all but one

Interesting.

I stand by the joke.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #658
Ksyrup

Smith makes sense solely from the standpoint of "representation" of his position. Edgar Martinez, if he doesn't get voted in, will eventually get in for the same reason, although he has the stats to back it up and should already be in.

I think what we're going to see is an over-reaction to the lack of 80s/early 90s players in the HoF. That era is under-represented. I'm not sure that is what the HoF is about, though. Harold Baines, Fred McGriff, Dave Steib, etc., were all big names at the time, but that doesn't necessarily translate to HoF-worthy.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting.
I stand by the joke.

Cool by me.

Was just one of those things where I had no idea what I'd find until looking it up & figured since I'd done that part I might as well share.

fwiw (which ain't much) I was fine with Smith going in, rolled my eyes about Baines.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #660
spleen1015
Coordinator

I can't believe Harper is going to get such a big contract. I read an article today that I think summed it up pretty well.

He's not as good as Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays so why is he going to get the biggest contract in MLB history. I know he and Machado will fight over that but still...

He's not good enough to warrant the contract he is going to get.

EDIT - Just another thought, Harper's not even close to being the best player in the game. You can't even debate it. So, why such a big contract? I don't get it.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 12-11-2018 at 11:14 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #661
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I am OK with Lee Smith, he was one of the pioneers for the closer role and still ranks 3rd in saves in MLB history. He also routinely pitched 80-100 IP in that role - something unheard of now. If you compare him to the current active leader (Craig Kimbrel), you would see that they both averaged 68 games per 162 game average. Kimbrel, however, pitches just 67 IP in those 68 games, while Lee Smith averaged 85 IP in the 68 games. There weren't many 1-2 out saves in Smith's time, so he had a lot more wear and tear on his arm.

As for Baines, his election is just crazy. He averaged .289, 22 HR and 93 RBI over his career (while playing DH). His career totals are 2800 hits and 384 HR. His best year was .304-29-94 with a WAR of 4.3. Last year alone, 40 guys had a WAR of 4.4 or better including such HOF shoe-ins as Aaron Hicks, Jed Lowrie, Mitch Haniger and Andrelton Simmons. It's a joke we have a baseball Hall of Fame with Harold Baines, but no McGwire, Bonds or Clemens. Heck, Carlos Delgado had 473 total HRs, an average season of .280-38-120 and five seasons with WAR values between 4.5 and 7.3. I don't think of him as a Hall of Famer and his numbers destroy Baines.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #662
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I am OK with Lee Smith, he was one of the pioneers for the closer role and still ranks 3rd in saves in MLB history. He also routinely pitched 80-100 IP in that role - something unheard of now. If you compare him to the current active leader (Craig Kimbrel), you would see that they both averaged 68 games per 162 game average. Kimbrel, however, pitches just 67 IP in those 68 games, while Lee Smith averaged 85 IP in the 68 games. There weren't many 1-2 out saves in Smith's time, so he had a lot more wear and tear on his arm.
Also worth noting that he was striking out guys at a high rate before that became common. Back in his era having a K per IP was rare even for relievers. Not so much these days. I wonder how much more dominating he would have looked had he been pitching currently.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #663
Atocep
Coordinator

I think it was a given that Lee Smith was going to end up in the HoF at some point.

Baines blows my mind, but this is likely a case of La Russa and Reinsdorf looking out for one of their guys.

The committee is a joke and the entire Veteran's Committee or Eras Committee or whatever they want to call it in future has long outlived its usefulness. The initial concept was a sound idea. Get the guys that slipped through the cracks as our understanding of the value of players increased. Keeping it together as an annual voting body at this point serves no purpose other than to make sure committee member agendas are met.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #664
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know how many of you subscribe to The Athletic (if you're a sports fan, you really should) there's a great article looking at the shift and presenting compelling arguments for why that's not the real issue that should be addressed:

https://theathletic.com/703736/2018/...s-strike-zone/

If you don't subscribe, the super-condensed summary is data shows shifts don't seem to be impacting the rate of balls in play falling in for hits; the real issue with pace of play and hit frequency is strikeouts, and the best solution is to raise the bottom of the strike zone.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #665
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I don't know how many of you subscribe to The Athletic (if you're a sports fan, you really should) there's a great article looking at the shift and presenting compelling arguments for why that's not the real issue that should be addressed:

https://theathletic.com/703736/2018/...s-strike-zone/

If you don't subscribe, the super-condensed summary is data shows shifts don't seem to be impacting the rate of balls in play falling in for hits; the real issue with pace of play and hit frequency is strikeouts, and the best solution is to raise the bottom of the strike zone.

Yeah, as I said, I'm not sure an outright ban of the shift is the best approach. I do think the shift is having an unhealthy impact on the game and as we get more accurate and easily attainable batted ball data it's only going to get worse.

I just find it somewhat amusing many of the same people bemoaning the increase in strikeouts and all or nothing approaches of hitters don't want anything done about shifts.

"Learn to do something different" isn't the answer. If it were that easy to do these things we'd have a hell of a lot more elite level professional athletes.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #666
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think Corcoran puts forward a good argument for why the bottom of the strike zone should be raised.

That said, there's a more fundamental issue he doesn't talk about which is that folks have figured out that swings with more loft to them are more valuable. The tradeoff in more strikeouts and less contact is outweighed by the increased value of the hits they get. I think it's a given that raising the bottom of the strike zone would result in fewer K's and more walks, hits, home runs and scoring overall. The question is whether that's the goal that the game wants to work towards. There's also the question of what other potentially unintended consequences would result. I know a lot of fans - myself included - are really tiring of the trend towards bigger and bigger bullpens and more frequent pitching changes, and anything that drives even more scoring would likely push this trend even further.

I really don't know what the best overall approaches are to improving the game, but I do know that my interest level in baseball is much less than it used to be. I used to watch the playoffs and World Series every year; now, I pretty much never watch a game that isn't the Mariners, and even then I don't watch the M's nearly as much as I used to.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #667
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but I do know that my interest level in baseball is much less than it used to be.

Contract at least 2 (if not 4) teams & improve the quality of pitching across the board, that'd go a fair way toward restoring my interest.

It's not just about "increased bullpen use", it's that a lot of those pitchers being used simply aren't major league caliber pitchers.

But instead they'll continue to dumb down a once-great game & do whatever they can to cater to the short-attention span / homerun derby crowd
Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #668
stevew
Hall Of Famer

3 years for Cutch seems like 1 year too long. I love him, he plays a lot of games. I guess something like 2.5/2/1 WAR would make him worth the deal? I bet he gets salary dumped at some point
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #669
Atocep
Coordinator

Tony La Russa calls Harold Baines detractors weak

Based on La Russa's response I'm going to say getting Harold Baines in the Hall of Fame was something he had an emotional investment in.

Quote:
"Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer and it's a shame that he's being looked at as not right," La Russa said. "In the '80s and '90s, almost all of the stats that people trust, he was in the top five -- for 20 years. He drove in 100 runs late in his career and he drove them in early. Game-winning RBIs, he's up there with the best of them. He had a very distinguished career."

At one point Russo brought up Al Oliver, who had similar career statistics to Baines (and a higher career WAR, 43.7 to 38.7).

"Al Oliver is not better than he is, no disrespect to Al Oliver," La Russa responded. "I used to watch you because I thought you knew the game. I'm going to start calling you clueless."
Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #670
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've never thought to myself....Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer. Nope.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #671
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've never thought to myself....Harold Baines is a Hall of Famer. Nope.

I distinctly remember there was some panic setting in with sportswriters in the late 90s and early 2000s because Baines was approaching 3,000 hits and that means automatic induction into the HoF in everyone's eyes. The problem was Baines obviously wasn't a HoF caliber player and this was going to cause of HoF crisis of sorts.

They never seemed to realize or acknowledge you simply had to not vote for him if you didn't think he was a HoF caliber player. 3,000 hits or not.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #672
cuervo72
Head Coach

""In the '80s and '90s, almost all of the stats that people trust, he was in the top five -- for 20 years."

That's just patently false.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #673
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was listening to that interview and it was painful. I love Maddog, he didn't relent. TL came off sounding like an out of touch old fart
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #674
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’d have Franco or Vizquel ahead of Baines if we wanted the HOF to be full of long term meh guys.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #675
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers, A's, and Rays have a three team deal where the centerpiece is Jurickson Profar going to the A's. He was considered untouchable for trades three or four seasons ago.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #676
Atocep
Coordinator

Kemp, Puig, and Wood to the Reds for Homer Bailey and prospects.

I'm guessing Harper is going to be a Dodger.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #677
bhlloy
Coordinator

Also the Dodgers made a deal with a few guys you may have heard of that can't be viewed in any other lens other than making room for Harper.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #678
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’d have Franco or Vizquel ahead of Baines if we wanted the HOF to be full of long term meh guys.
I don't think Vizquel is meh. I don't know if he's a hall of famer but he was truly elite in one aspect and has a claim as the best defensive shortstop ever (though most would go with Ozzie, and most ESP.N announcers with Jeter). Harold Baines is just utterly forgettable.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #679
Butter
Coordinator

Sounded like the Dodgers were just going to cut Bailey?
Old 12-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #680
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Also the Dodgers made a deal with a few guys you may have heard of that can't be viewed in any other lens other than making room for Harper.

Could make deals for Kluber, a different OF, and a catcher
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #681
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't think Vizquel is meh. I don't know if he's a hall of famer but he was truly elite in one aspect and has a claim as the best defensive shortstop ever (though most would go with Ozzie, and most ESP.N announcers with Jeter). Harold Baines is just utterly forgettable.

There really isn't any data that backs up Visquel being elite though. He was solid, but the hype was entirely based on the eye test.

Ozzie had 10 years worth 4 or more WAR. Visquel had 2. Visquel made 3 all star teams. Ozzie made 15.

Jay Jaffe breaks it down thoroughly:

JAWS and the 2019 Hall of Fame Ballot: Omar Vizquel | FanGraphs Baseball

Quote:
Baseball-Reference credits Vizquel as being 129 runs above average for his career defensively, via a combination of Total Zone (+80 runs through 2002) and Defensive Runs Saved (+49 from 2003-12). Ultimate Zone Rating credits him as 47 runs above average as well for the latter period. The combined total doesn’t blow the doors off the shrine, ranking 18th all-time among shortstops, better than 12 of the 20 Hall of Famers at the position.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #682
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone should get creative with Machado or Harper. Give them sometging like 10/300 with another 100 in escrow. If the player wants to opt out at any point, he forfeits a certain percentage of the escrow. If the team wants to move on for an obvious non injury skills decline they can release the player with 1 years severance and the remaining escrow. Something like that.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #683
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Royals are very busy in the off-season......playing Mario Kart on the Jumbotron.

https://www.facebook.com/kshbtv/vide...zU1NDYzODQ3NQ/

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #684
Butter
Coordinator

John Wetteland arrested on child sex abuse charges. Allegedly had a child perform sex acts on him intermittently starting over 10 years ago when the child was 4.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #685
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
John Wetteland arrested on child sex abuse charges. Allegedly had a child perform sex acts on him intermittently starting over 10 years ago when the child was 4.

Hang the f***er.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #686
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Hang the f***er.

Trial by jury, first.

Then hang him, sure. By the scrote.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #687
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Mo Rivera, Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina and Roy Hallady. Good group. And it's about goddamn time Edgar made it in. Incredible hitter and an even better person.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #688
molson
General Manager

And Rivera was unanimous.

And two voters voted for Placido Polanco.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #689
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

And two voters voted for Placido Polanco.

Does Tony La Russa have 2 votes? His only requirement is you had to have played for him.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #690
bhlloy
Coordinator

As unbelievably good and beloved as Rivera was, it's kinda ironic that the first ever unanimous player ranks about a win ahead of Cole Hamels in pitcher WAR.

I know I know, could only pitch the role he was given, he redefined the position, all the hardware. But still, a guy who pitched about an inning once ever 2.5-3 games for his career is the very first guy who got in unanimously. It might not be wrong, but it's really strange.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #691
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
As unbelievably good and beloved as Rivera was, it's kinda ironic that the first ever unanimous player ranks about a win ahead of Cole Hamels in pitcher WAR.

I know I know, could only pitch the role he was given, he redefined the position, all the hardware. But still, a guy who pitched about an inning once ever 2.5-3 games for his career is the very first guy who got in unanimously. It might not be wrong, but it's really strange.
Someone had to be first. I'm just glad we've broken through that silly thing about nobody being worthy of a unanimous first ballot vote.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #692
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

How in the world are Clemens and Schilling not in?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #693
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

EDGAR!!!!!!!!!!!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #694
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
How in the world are Clemens and Schilling not in?

Clemens = Steroids
Schilling = Outspoken Conservative
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #695
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone had to be first. I'm just glad we've broken through that silly thing about nobody being worthy of a unanimous first ballot vote.

Though yes & no on that. At least one voter did not submit a ballot this year because he wasn't going to list Rivera but didn't want to be the sole cause of preventing unanimous, so he simply didn't vote at all (and unanimous applies only to ballots cast, not all eligible ballots)
Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #696
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Schilling = Outspoken Conservative

He also had the whole defrauding the state of Rhode Island out of $75 million as he ran 38 Stuidios $150 million in debt thing.

100% belongs in the Hall, but he's also made it difficult to like him.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #697
Radii
Head Coach

Schilling goes far, far beyond "outspoken conservative" to bigot and open spewer of hate that no one in the world should want their children around unless you're as hateful as him. He's also retweeted shirts/memes about killing journalists, you know, the people who vote on these sorts of things.

That said, he, Clemens, and Bonds all 100% deserve to be in and its patently absurd that they aren't.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #698
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

On Schilling, that DBacks title was more impressive than his Bloody Sock game work. But the HOF much like baseball is heading the way of boxing or horseracing.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 AM   #699
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, the conservative part doesn't help but Schilling's post career actions go quite far beyond that. That said, it's not voting on post-career actions so he should be in, and I think he very well could be next year when Derek Jeter is the only 1st year lock. He did gain 9% and jump over Clemens/Bonds, and Mussina's election should only help him too. I don't think Clemens and Bonds will get in until the players/veterans committee, just too many older voters who won't change their mind. Btw, Scott Rolen down at 17.2% seems crazy to me, idk if he gets in but I suspect he'll get up above 50% eventually.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #700
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd argue that Schilling isn't in more because his attacks on journalists than anything else, tbh. Looking at advanced stats, his and Mussina's careers are very similar, so if anything that should help Schilling.