Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #151
Thomkal
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Surfside Beach,SC USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm gonna slip this in here, because probably everyone missed it and doesn't care, but the NDSU Bison and their 18-15 record won the Summit League and is heading to the Tournament for their 3rd trip. That's pretty exciting news!


Awesome PM! Coastal Carolina is playing in the second round of the Sun Belt right now. Uphill climb for them as they are the #6 seed, but hope springs eternal.
__________________
Coastal Carolina Baseball-2016 National Champion!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #152
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm gonna slip this in here, because probably everyone missed it and doesn't care, but the NDSU Bison and their 18-15 record won the Summit League and is heading to the Tournament for their 3rd trip. That's pretty exciting news!

Any layovers in Vegas next week?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM   #153
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
I'm going to be on a cruise next week and miss Thursday / Friday AND attending the First Four.

I guess it's ok because cruise, but I'm unhappy about this aspect.
__________________
My listening habits
Butter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
They may have it on the boat. I was on a cruise a couple years ago during the round of 16 and it was on in a couple of places.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #155
Thomkal
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Surfside Beach,SC USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Awesome PM! Coastal Carolina is playing in the second round of the Sun Belt right now. Uphill climb for them as they are the #6 seed, but hope springs eternal.


Well that was quick, fell apart in second half and lost by about 30. At 17-15, there is still a chance for them to get into the lower tournaments, but based on their effort in this game, might be best if they just end the season now.
__________________
Coastal Carolina Baseball-2016 National Champion!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #156
MrBug708
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Whittier
Come on down Tony Bennett!
__________________
Richard Karstark - Ruler of Karhold - Bannerman of House Stark

KKiTTLeS21: UCLA r0x d00d, #1
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #157
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
They may have it on the boat. I was on a cruise a couple years ago during the round of 16 and it was on in a couple of places.

I hope it's not too crowded, or I could just show up at 9 AM and stake out a chair. Thursday we'll be on shore most of the day, but Friday is a sea day. Drinking and NCAA games all day with nothing else to do, sign me the fuck up.
__________________
My listening habits

Last edited by Butter : 03-15-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Butter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #158
Kodos
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Come on down Tony Bennett!

Tom Crean. Go after him!
__________________
Author of The Bill Gates Challenge, as well as other groundbreaking dynasties.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #159
Atocep
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tacoma
7 Freshman and 3 Juniors starting between WVU and Kansas in the Big 12 Semi tonight.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #160
Brian Swartz
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
If the conference tournaments are any indication, looks like it's a year where all bets are off even more than they usually are.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #161
miami_fan
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Leonard Hamilton is such a good basketball coach.
__________________
I introduce to you the 2018-2019 NBA champion, Jeremy Lin!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 PM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I hope it's not too crowded, or I could just show up at 9 AM and stake out a chair. Thursday we'll be on shore most of the day, but Friday is a sea day. Drinking and NCAA games all day with nothing else to do, sign me the fuck up.

If they have it on it won't be. There will likely be a pub, cigar bar, etc...that has it.

I'll be drinking and watching hoops all next week in Vegas
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #163
MizzouRah
General Manager
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Troy, Mo
Mizzou may be done but SLU played great last night!
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #164
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Any layovers in Vegas next week?

No Vegas next week for me. I do have my first Cincinnati layover since I left Comair nearly 7 years ago, which is really sweet to have in the middle of a trip.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #165
tarcone
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pacific,MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If they have it on it won't be. There will likely be a pub, cigar bar, etc...that has it.

I'll be drinking and watching hoops all next week in Vegas

When you get back, could you give me details of your trip?

Ive heard that you have to do VIP everything now because that is the only way for the casinos to make money. And it is crazy crowded.

Im looking to go one year, but not if it costs an arm and a leg and/or its a circus.

Thanks
__________________
The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
When you get back, could you give me details of your trip?

Ive heard that you have to do VIP everything now because that is the only way for the casinos to make money. And it is crazy crowded.

Im looking to go one year, but not if it costs an arm and a leg and/or its a circus.

Thanks

My friends and I go every year for MM, so I can give you details right now, assuming nothing has drastically changed over the last year.

First off. If you are interested in going I suggest you join the facebook group March Madness in Las Vegas. It is dedicated to that first weekend in Vegas, has around 13K members, and a wealth of info.

I would compare it to a Disney trip in the matter that you need to go in with a plan, book in advance, know you are paying for the experience, and be willing to change on a dime if need be.

Your assumptions are somewhere the middle.

It is very crowded, with lots of dude-bros in backwards baseball hats. I absolutely despise crowds, but I don't mind it because everyone is cool, and there for the same thing. You can not describe the energy in a sportsbook during those first 2 days. With everyone having money on the games there is always excitement. Then you factor in rooting interests, brackets, upsets, etc...and mix in lots of booze, it is crazy, in a good way. You do need to plan accordingly given how crowded it is. You cant expect to get a bet in 5 minutes before tip, or find empty seats in a sportsbook. There are several apps you can bet on now, a lot of people do that as opposed to waiting in lines. The apps are part of a particular casino, and only work in Nevada. You deposit money at the cage and it shows up in your app,cash out before you leave.

You do not have to do VIP. The beauty of it is that there is something for everyone. To sit in a sportsbook, at least a popular one, you would likely need to pay to reserve a seat/ both/ man cave, which can be expensive. Some books are free, but you need to get there really early for a seat. I can tell you we have never done it and I do not feel like I am missing out. Most places have watch parties. Some casinos have free ones in ballrooms, Southpoint, The D, Treasure Island, are some popular ones. Others are held in bars. They all are either a fee and it is all you can eat/drink or a buffet. Others are a minimum spend, usually between $100-200, some higher end ones more. There are some higher end ones that cost several hundred, again, something for everyone. We usually do a watch party and always get our monies worth. You are eating/ drinking for 13 hours, it isn't hard to hit your minimum. We do a watch party one day, and bounce around the other days. By Saturday you are usually pretty spent and we just chill that day.

That being said, you don't have to do either of those. There is no reason you can't bounce around the strip, or downtown and watch the games wherever you end up. They are on everywhere. Plenty of people just find a random bar and hole up there, we have done that, or hit up a sportsbook and just stand or find a counter to set up home base. A lot of people bring their own bottle/ flask/ or a cooler bag in a backpack. As long as you're not an idiot the casinos don't care.

Flights are priced up for that weekend, but if you book in advance you can get a decent price, I always use miles as my wife travels a lot. Hotels likewise, but if you are going with a couple people it isn't bad splitting the cost. You can get a decent price at NYNY, Luxor, Excaliber, or anywhere downtown. Like anything else, if you want to stay at a nicer property, it will cost more. We did Venetian a few years ago, three of us in a room, 2 beds and a pull out, and it was fine. This year we did a suite at Luxor the first 2 nights, 3 of us, about $200 each. We are then moving to a comped suite at Mandalay Bay that one of the guys arriving Thursday gets. Food can be found for all prices, and you have no need for a rental car.

So, there you have it. Honestly it is really doable, even on a budget. I highly recommend going, it really is a blast. If you are going solo we can meet up, one of our guys is an Iowa alum!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #167
Atocep
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tacoma
What a roller coaster of a season for WVU . Most probably don't give a shit about any of this, but I thought I'd share.

Things never really got going and something seemed broken with the team the first month and a half or so of the season. Effort was terrible, the press was dead, and bad losses piled up. Then Sagaba Konate goes out with a odd knee injury. From there Beetle Bolden couldn't stay on the floor due to injuries and the top rated incoming recruit, Derek Culver, was suspended until 2 games before conference play started.

That left the team in the hands of Esa Ahmad and Wes Harris. Ahmad was a former highly rated recruit and a guy that looks the part. However, for 3+ years he'd been a negative on the floor as he really didn't do anything if he wasn't scoring. His rebounding was below average, he turned it over at a high rate, didn't pass well, didn't handle it well, and didn't defend at all. Harris was a JUCO guy with major offers from all over, but other than on-the-ball defense and the occasional tech for something stupid he didn't bring much to the table.

Why did they play? Because Huggs doesn't really have modern lineup strategies that are predetermined before the game and adapted a little on the fly based on foul trouble and how matchups are working. Huggs gives substitutions over to Larry Harrison who is infamous for knee jerk substitutions, playing favorites, and having a deep doghouse. Esa and Wes Harris were Larry Harrison guys.

With those 2 guys as leaders what was shaping up to be a bad season turned into a nightmare. The team went 4-11 after Konate played his last game against Pitt; losing by 31 to TCU, 17 to Tennessee, 25 to Iowa State, 31 to Texas Tech, and 22 to Texas.

Then, IIRC, the day before WVU was set to play Kansas on the road the school announced Ahmad and Harris were both dismissed from the team. So now you had Konate out, Beetle mostly out, and Harris and Ahmad dismissed.

From there, Huggs turned to the young guys. Jordan McCabe was a 4* that was suddenly put in the lineup after another Larry Harrison guy (freshman Brandon Knapper) showed that he was clearly not ready to play major college basketball. Emmitt Matthews was a 4* (from Tacoma!) that was buried behind both Ahmad and Harris. Jermaine Haley was a former 5* Juco kid that had been in the lineup, but deferred to Ahmad. Then you had Derek Culver who was averaging a double/double in Big 12 play as a freshman.

With a lineup that went McCabe (Fr), Haley (Jr), Matthews (Fr), West (Jr), Culver (Fr) the team started playing with far more effort and things started to click a couple games after those 2 were dismissed. That led to wins over TCU and Iowa State at the tail end of conference play along with wins over OU and Texas Tech in the Big 12 tourney. To put that into perspective, this group closed out conference play going 4-3 while the Ahmad/Harris group had gone 2-10 since the start of conference play.

So now Huggs has his highest rated recruit since his first recruiting class coming in (Oscar Tshiebwe) and more house cleaning to do this offseason. At least 2-3 additional guys will be leaving to make room for guys with better attitudes and skillsets that better fit what WVU basketball needs. Basically, those core 5 plus maybe 1 or 2 more will be the only players likely to survive this season. But if Huggs has learned his lesson with Larry Harrison and recruiting poor fits then next year should be back to what's expected at WVU under Huggs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #168
tarcone
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pacific,MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My friends and I go every year for MM, so I can give you details right now, assuming nothing has drastically changed over the last year.

First off. If you are interested in going I suggest you join the facebook group March Madness in Las Vegas. It is dedicated to that first weekend in Vegas, has around 13K members, and a wealth of info.

I would compare it to a Disney trip in the matter that you need to go in with a plan, book in advance, know you are paying for the experience, and be willing to change on a dime if need be.

Your assumptions are somewhere the middle.

It is very crowded, with lots of dude-bros in backwards baseball hats. I absolutely despise crowds, but I don't mind it because everyone is cool, and there for the same thing. You can not describe the energy in a sportsbook during those first 2 days. With everyone having money on the games there is always excitement. Then you factor in rooting interests, brackets, upsets, etc...and mix in lots of booze, it is crazy, in a good way. You do need to plan accordingly given how crowded it is. You cant expect to get a bet in 5 minutes before tip, or find empty seats in a sportsbook. There are several apps you can bet on now, a lot of people do that as opposed to waiting in lines. The apps are part of a particular casino, and only work in Nevada. You deposit money at the cage and it shows up in your app,cash out before you leave.

You do not have to do VIP. The beauty of it is that there is something for everyone. To sit in a sportsbook, at least a popular one, you would likely need to pay to reserve a seat/ both/ man cave, which can be expensive. Some books are free, but you need to get there really early for a seat. I can tell you we have never done it and I do not feel like I am missing out. Most places have watch parties. Some casinos have free ones in ballrooms, Southpoint, The D, Treasure Island, are some popular ones. Others are held in bars. They all are either a fee and it is all you can eat/drink or a buffet. Others are a minimum spend, usually between $100-200, some higher end ones more. There are some higher end ones that cost several hundred, again, something for everyone. We usually do a watch party and always get our monies worth. You are eating/ drinking for 13 hours, it isn't hard to hit your minimum. We do a watch party one day, and bounce around the other days. By Saturday you are usually pretty spent and we just chill that day.

That being said, you don't have to do either of those. There is no reason you can't bounce around the strip, or downtown and watch the games wherever you end up. They are on everywhere. Plenty of people just find a random bar and hole up there, we have done that, or hit up a sportsbook and just stand or find a counter to set up home base. A lot of people bring their own bottle/ flask/ or a cooler bag in a backpack. As long as you're not an idiot the casinos don't care.

Flights are priced up for that weekend, but if you book in advance you can get a decent price, I always use miles as my wife travels a lot. Hotels likewise, but if you are going with a couple people it isn't bad splitting the cost. You can get a decent price at NYNY, Luxor, Excaliber, or anywhere downtown. Like anything else, if you want to stay at a nicer property, it will cost more. We did Venetian a few years ago, three of us in a room, 2 beds and a pull out, and it was fine. This year we did a suite at Luxor the first 2 nights, 3 of us, about $200 each. We are then moving to a comped suite at Mandalay Bay that one of the guys arriving Thursday gets. Food can be found for all prices, and you have no need for a rental car.

So, there you have it. Honestly it is really doable, even on a budget. I highly recommend going, it really is a blast. If you are going solo we can meet up, one of our guys is an Iowa alum!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Holy smokes! That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

And I will keep the invite in my back pocket. 1st time I have ever had a spring break. Vegas or Florida are on tap. But Vegas is in the 2 year range, for sure.

And your Iowa buddy probably knows to bet against Iowa.
__________________
The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #169
Izulde
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
For those asking about the Chris Beard hatred, JiMGA posted it - bastard accepted the UNLV job, then ran off to Texas Tech 9 days later.

In related news, Marvin Menzies is out. I honestly would have been either way - either give him another year or fire him. A lot of people underestimate just how shit Dave Rice left the program, so MM has been a decent bridge coach.

Current rumors have Thad Matta, formerly of tOSU, as the leading candidate. Basically a better Lon Kruger in terms of playstyle, which some fans aren't thrilled about. Me? I'll take 20-25 wins a year and consistently going dancing. If it is Matta, I hope the two years off have allowed his health to improve and come in strong.
__________________
2006 Golden Scribe Nominee
2006 Golden Scribe Winner
Best Non-Sport Dynasty: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Tennessee - Kentucky SEC semi had Elite Eight caliber intensity.

And I can't help but think what mighty bad things Duke would do to either of 'em.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #171
miami_fan
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tennessee - Kentucky SEC semi had Elite Eight caliber intensity.

And I can't help but think what mighty bad things Duke would do to either of 'em.

I don't think any of those Volunteer players make it any further than an NBA bench but that team is fun to watch.
__________________
I introduce to you the 2018-2019 NBA champion, Jeremy Lin!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #172
BishopMVP
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Concord, MA/UMass
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't think any of those Volunteer players make it any further than an NBA bench but that team is fun to watch.
I think you're underrating Grant Williams. He doesn't have sexy athleticism or height but I think he'll play 10+ years as an NBA rotation player. Schofield does seem more like a college legend/short NBA career guy
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #173
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't think any of those Volunteer players make it any further than an NBA bench but that team is fun to watch.

Williams is very solid. Not sure what his role in the current NBA is but he's an NBA quality player by traditional measures.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #174
miami_fan
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
IF Oregon hang on to this lead, a smaller school is going to be screwed out of a bid.
__________________
I introduce to you the 2018-2019 NBA champion, Jeremy Lin!
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #175
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Just finished watching the Huskies game, man, what a gut punch. I'm really disappointed for our seniors who gave everything to help turn this program around, would have loved to see them get the title. That being said, we should be going dancing. I will be shocked if we don't.

Hard to be picky when you lose like that, but the refs were terrible. 22-8 FT advantage for Oregon, and our best player, conference player of the year, was called for a 4th foul with 14 minutes left that was a terrible foul. We didn't stand a chance at that point. That being said, we didn't deserve it, they were better. Unless we can learn to score we are going to be 1-done. With the athletes we have no excuse for us not to put up more points.

The positive is PAC-12 may get 3 teams in, so good for the conference.

One other thing that made me really happy was Payton Prichard winning tournament MVP and putting on a great performance. He lived literally across the street from me in West Linn Oregon, and they could not be a nicer family. His dad is a great guy, and I'm sure could not be happier. As a Husky fan and alum, hard to pull for a Duck, but thats a nice silver lining.

Bottom line is we need to step up our offensive game for the tournament, but Hopkins has us headed in the right direction.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #176
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cowtown, TX
Tenn-UK was a fun game to watch for sure. I still think they have the talent and ability to play any kind of game to make a real run. But having said that, this tourney will be wide open.


I also am going to lament that Belmont (and similar mid-majors) wont make the Dance, but a few average Big 12, Big 10 schools will instead. TCU does not belong
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #177
tarcone
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pacific,MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Tenn-UK was a fun game to watch for sure. I still think they have the talent and ability to play any kind of game to make a real run. But having said that, this tourney will be wide open.


I also am going to lament that Belmont (and similar mid-majors) wont make the Dance, but a few average Big 12, Big 10 schools will instead. TCU does not belong

Yes, there are some quality mid major teams with as much or more talent than the average B1G or ACC team that will get in.
__________________
The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #178
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Belmont gets in. Like seeing that, as long as its not at the expense of the Huskies.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #179
tarcone
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pacific,MO
Minnesota beating Purdue pushed Iowa from Des Moines to Columbus. And playing Cinci in the 1st round.

Yikes.
__________________
The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #180
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Minnesota beating Purdue pushed Iowa from Des Moines to Columbus. And playing Cinci in the 1st round.

Yikes.

5 of us in Vegas. One a die hard UC lifer. Two others Iowa alums. Gonna be fun.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #181
Atocep
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tacoma
I don't believe the Bill Self to the Bulls rumors, but I'd be a bit surprised if Bill Self isn't doing everything in his power to get out of Kansas after this season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #182
Thomkal
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Surfside Beach,SC USA
Coastal Carolina did make it into a tourney this year surprisingly at 15-16. They made it into the CBI, where they have some good memories making it all the way to the championship game in 2017. Howard from the MEAC will travel to Conway to play the Chants.
__________________
Coastal Carolina Baseball-2016 National Champion!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #183
spleen1015
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
A bunch of MSU fans I know complaining about where they are in the bracket. What do they want?

Gonzaga beat Duke
UNC beat Duke twice
Virginia beat UNC

It's going to be a tough game no matter what. All 4 1s are good.
__________________
Why choose failure when success is an option?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #184
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dayton, Ohio
I do think they should be a #1 over Gonzaga. Gonzaga played 7 total Quad 1 games and went 4-3. MSU played 17 and went 13-4. I mention quad 1 games because that was apparently the committee favorite this year as I heard them mention it quite a few times and shows why NC State didn't get in.


I'd take 13-4 in quad 1 games, regular season and conference champions in the conference that got the most teams in the tournament over Gonzaga any day.


edit: Saw on reddit a good point from MSU fans. Last year MSU went 30-3 and was a #3 seed due to lack of Q1 wins. This year they have that and a team with 4 Q1 wins versus their 13 gets put ahead of them. The committee just isn't very consistent year to year.



I do think they did alright this year and there will always be some issues due to the human element. It's just weird the year to year variances in what they put an emhpasis on. Take NC State. Their non-con SOS is fucking abysmal which is obviously what got them out of the tournament. But, their NET is 33 which doesn't that take SOS into account among other things? Supposedly NET was supposed to be their new major tool to the bracket?

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-18-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #185
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: homeless in NJ
The problem with the NET rating is it takes margin of victory in to account. So NC States was inflated because they smashed a bunch of shitty teams. I suspect they will tweak that.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #186
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Yea, I don't really have a huge problem with NC State because when glancing at their schedule it looked they beat teams they should but couldn't beat tournament quality teams (quick glance shows a win each versus Syracuse and Auburn) where a team like St Johns at least has a sweet of Marquette and a win versus Villanova while having a much lower (60-something?) NET.


More, sometimes the committee just gives me pause with the results of some things versus what I assumed their methods were. And the year to year inconsistencies. But, human element and all that.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #187
spleen1015
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
While I see the point with all of the Q1 wins, etc, part of me also believes you have to beat who's in front of you. No one gets a cake walk to the Final Four. You've got to beat someone good. Does it matter if its UNC or Duke or Gonzaga or MSU or whomever?

I don't care about NC State getting in. I would rather a good mid major get in than a middle of the road P5 team. We've seen what NC State can do against P5 teams. I want to see what Belmont can do.
__________________
Why choose failure when success is an option?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #188
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dayton, Ohio
I agree at the end of the day it doesn't matter. We will find out soon enough if MSU deserved a #1 and if Gonzaga is going to continue being a poser in March. Just fun to talk about in little period before the good shit starts.


RE: NC State. I'm always down for teams like Belmont getting a shot versus middle of the pack P5 teams. I'd rather get a mid major in there then NC State OR St. Johns, though.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #189
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dayton, Ohio
dola


Oh, and conferences really need to stop having their conference championships on Selection Sunday. They are just harming themselves.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #190
spleen1015
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
The guy who used to be the president of the tournament was on ESPN radio this morning he said the field is selected and the bracket is pretty much done before the committee goes to bed on Saturday night.

So, I think you are right. If MSU beats Michigan on Saturday does that change the bracket at all?
__________________
Why choose failure when success is an option?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #191
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Supposedly NET was supposed to be their new major tool to the bracket?

The problem with that may lie in the supposition. It is "one of many factors", straight from the NCAA themselves.

Quote:
The NCAA Evaluation Tool, known as the NET, is in its first year of existence and is one of many factors used by NCAA sports committees when evaluating team selection, seeding and bracketing.

The components of the NET include the Team Value Index, which is based on game results and factors game location, the opponent and outcome, as well as net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and a capped scoring margin.

Other criteria the committee considers in the selections process:

An extensive season-long evaluation of teams through watching games, conference monitoring calls and regional advisory committee rankings.
Complete box scores and results.
Head-to-head results and results versus common opponents.
Imbalanced conference schedules and results.
Overall and nonconference strength of schedule.
The quality of wins and losses.
Road record.
Player and coach availability.
Various computer metrics.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #192
britrock88
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI via ND via NC
"Player and coach availability" seemed to weigh heavily on the minds of the committee this year. Two prominent examples:

- Duke as the #1 overall (where Virginia seemed a solid bet) after Zion's recent injury.
- Ohio State in the field and not in the First Four after Kaleb Wesson's recent return from suspension.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
"Player and coach availability" seemed to weigh heavily on the minds of the committee this year. Two prominent examples:
.

IIRC that's kind of always been an unofficial thing but wasn't explicitly on the criteria list until fairly recently (though maybe I'm misremembering)
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #194
Brian Swartz
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
A bunch of MSU fans I know complaining about where they are in the bracket. What do they want?

There are no easy roads, but even before the conference championship game they deserved to be where Michigan is, and vice versa. I say that as a Michigan fan. By beating the Wolverines twice, they at least earned the right to not be in the region with the overall #1 instead of the 'lowest' #1. I think they have a small, but legit beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I can't help but think what mighty bad things Duke would do to either of 'em.

Win a close game probably, and quite possibly lose? I think Duke has the highest ceiling of any team in the country, but at the same time they lost twice to UNC - yes, without Zion but they almost lost to them with him and might well have lost the first game if he'd not gotten hurt. I think the celebration of Williamson's phenomenal play is sort of causing some things to get lost. Namely that they do still have a tendency to go hero-ball and lose the thread a fair amount. They're young, so that's no railing criticism but only the fact that Tre Jones is so mature for his age by all appearances make them even a favorite IMO. Wouldn't shock me at all to see a bad performance or somebody gets in foul trouble and then everybody will be talking about them being overhyped - and being half-wrong then too. I think Duke is too feared in some quarters this year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #195
spleen1015
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I don't think Duke is as good as everyone thinks, but what do I know.

RJ Barrett is a pretty selfish player. He likes to dribble into triple teams at the rim and not pass in that situation. This is also the worst 3 point shooting team in the history of Duke yet they still throw them up there.

If I was playing against them, I would like them shoot 3s all day and try to prevent Zion from getting to the rim.

If UNC had stayed within themselves down the stretch in the ACC championship, they would have won. Instead they decided to take bad shots trying to make that dagger 3 that seems to be the way we play basketball these days.
__________________
Why choose failure when success is an option?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-19-2019 at 06:37 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #196
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dayton, Ohio
I like watching Duke because Zion is must see TV. I don't see them winning either, though, despite them getting so much hype as the favorites the last 24 hours.


I don't know how important 3's are to winning and I know teams that rely TOO MUCH on the 3 tend to flame out due to feast or famine. Yet, surely, you need to at least be able to make a 3 pointer to win the National Championship? If the site I was just looking at is accurate, Duke is 90something in 3p attempted, but literally one of the worst D1 schools in the country on %.


Their three players with the highest amount of 3PA:


Cam Reddish 251 3PA 32.7%
RJ Barrett 217 30.4%
Jack White 95 28.4%

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-19-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #197
MrBug708
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Whittier
I think it will eventually got work out but some smoke about Calipari to UCLA is starting to emerge
__________________
Richard Karstark - Ruler of Karhold - Bannerman of House Stark

KKiTTLeS21: UCLA r0x d00d, #1
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #198
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think it will eventually got work out but some smoke about Calipari to UCLA is starting to emerge
Forgive me if I'm just a tad bit skeptical of Calipari going to UCLA. He's at a blue-blood of at least equal standing to the Bruins already in Kentucky and he's making $7.45M. Could UCLA come even close to matching that? Wouldn't Kentucky - with the firehose of revenue they get thanks to being in the SEC - be able to outspend UCLA by quite a bit in a bidding war?
__________________
Go Huskies!
Number of green checks in Fritz's "good" book: 2

NCAA2018 - an FBCB2 multi-player league
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #199
MrBug708
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Whittier
I'm skeptical too, but the PAC 12 is garbage and Kentucky fans are nuts.
__________________
Richard Karstark - Ruler of Karhold - Bannerman of House Stark

KKiTTLeS21: UCLA r0x d00d, #1
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #200
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Win a close game probably, and quite possibly lose?

Zion might score 70 on UT, all he'd need is enough touches. They have absolutely no one that could defend him without fouling out by halftime.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.