Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #251
HerRealName
College Prospect

I never want this LSU - Maryland game to end. What a great game.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #252
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

LSU traveled pretty blatantly there, but hey...it's March I guess.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #253
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeeeeah. It ain't been pretty.

I'm down 4 S16s already.

Conversely, my women's bracket that I had less confidence in than any previous year, 15/16 on day one including all three lower seeds that won. My only miss was a 10/7 that didn't happen. Having said that I figure I'll go 8-8 today lol.

undoubtedly
Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
LSU traveled pretty blatantly there, but hey...it's March I guess.

It'll be vacated anyway so I guess they figured why not.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #255
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Question: I thought it used to be a thing that you couldn't play anyone from your own conference in the first two rounds? MSU vs. Minny today made me think of this. I thought what they used to do at least is switch Minnesota with a 10-seed from another region to avoid such matchups. Anyone know what the current rules are on this, since they're not what I thought they were?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #256
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Question: I thought it used to be a thing that you couldn't play anyone from your own conference in the first two rounds? MSU vs. Minny today made me think of this. I thought what they used to do at least is switch Minnesota with a 10-seed from another region to avoid such matchups. Anyone know what the current rules are on this, since they're not what I thought they were?

If you have only played them once in conference you can play them early.

I’m other news I’m in Vegas and just woke up. Ugh.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #257
Thomkal
Head Coach

What stays in Vegas...
Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
from
How the field of 68 teams is picked for March Madness | NCAA.com

Quote:
Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional semifinals if they played each other twice during the regular season and conference tournament.

Teams from the same conference may play each other as early as the second round if they played no more than once during the regular season and conference tournament.

Any principle can be relaxed if two or more teams from the same conference are among the last four at-large seeded teams participating in the First Four.

To recognize the demonstrated quality of such teams, the committee shall not place teams seeded on the first four lines at a potential “home-crowd disadvantage” in the first round.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #259
Logan
Head Coach

Every quote from Zion that I read makes me love him more:

Zion on whether it’s fair that CBS can follow him around with the Zion-cam while not being compensated: “Like my mom taught me, worry about the things you can control.”

Zion on the Tacko Fall comment about not allowing him to put him on a poster: “What is he supposed to say? That I’m going to dunk on him?”

Last edited by Logan : 03-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Every quote from Zion that I read makes me love him more:

Zion on whether it’s fair that CBS can follow him around with the Zion-cam while not being compensated: “Like my mom taught me, worry about the things you can control.”

Zion on the Tacko Fall comment about not allowing him to put him on a poster: “What is he supposed to say? That I’m going to dunk on him?”

Sadly, a couple years in the NBA and he'll almost certainly be as clueless as the rest of the league tries to be.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Through the first 28 games of the women's tournament, I'm 27-1, tied for 6th nationally on espn. (Yes, only 5 perfect brackets remain now, there were 278 perfect about 2 hours ago)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #262
Thomkal
Head Coach

woot Jon
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #263
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First round complete, 31-1.

Only missed Drake's one point loss to Mizzou.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #264
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Dang, that's impressive. Apparently on the men's side there is now only one perfect bracket left out of 17 million … which will end soon I'm sure.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #265
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
First round complete, 31-1.

Only missed Drake's one point loss to Mizzou.

I wonder how many brackets were ruined because very few people have watched the Lady Vols play this year?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I wonder how many brackets were ruined because very few people have watched the Lady Vols play this year?

I wondered too, but only about 32%.

The DePaul loss seemed to be the one that wrecked a bunch, they were a 76% pick.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #267
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Speaking of Tennessee, is this the end of the Holly Warlick era? And what of the UT tree do they try to coax to town to restore the program before it's too late?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #268
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Whole lotta blowouts today. Not surprised to see Nova and Kansas losing, but I did think they'd put up more of a fight.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #269
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Speaking of Tennessee, is this the end of the Holly Warlick era? And what of the UT tree do they try to coax to town to restore the program before it's too late?

God I hope so but I'm not at all confident about that.

My own theory is that Phat Phil is still mad about losing his coaching job & is actually sandbagging the athletic department (why else would anyone hire the new OC?) so he'll keep Holly Aintworthalick .
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #270
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good God Tennessee. How do you blow a 25 point lead against a 10th seed?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #271
Thomkal
Head Coach

And here I was about to call Iowa out of it...
Old 03-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #272
hoopsguy
General Manager

At halftime of this game, I was wondering what would need to happen in the remaining seven games to lift the 2019 NCAA from the most dull version I've ever witnessed.

Not out of the woods yet, but having a compelling game here after all the blowouts yesterday is a good start.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Good God Tennessee. How do you blow a 25 point lead against a 10th seed?

You obviously haven't watched them much this year lol.

Admiral bailed 'em out in the first game, Williams & Bone in OT today. I mean, you can't hate the potential for a different hero every game but I sure wish they didn't need heroes so often.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hoping my huskies can hang in there. Pretty excited for the game. I’m on a plane headed back from Vegas. Bought the WiFi just hoping to follow along and the video is working through the MMOD app.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #275
tarcone
Coordinator

Its tough to win when you are down 25 in the 1st half.

You saw both teams that Iowa was this year. Unfortunately the 1st half team was around more than the 2nd half.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #276
tarcone
Coordinator

The #2 seed Iowa women are beating Mizzou for the sweet 16. Iowa has one of the best players in the nation on their team, Megan Gufstason. She is the 2 timr B1G POtY.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Coby White is our ofnhis god damn mind.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL.

I moved into 1st place in the ESPN women's bracket when Texas A&M survived Marquette.

That lasted about 5 minutes, as I missed FSU/South Carolina and fell into a tie for #269
Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #279
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I was wondering what would need to happen in the remaining seven games to lift the 2019 NCAA from the most dull version I've ever witnessed.

I've never really understood why so many people put this on the first weekend. I've always thought the second one was the best, and that's what really defines the tournament for me.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never really understood why so many people put this on the first weekend. I've always thought the second one was the best, and that's what really defines the tournament for me.

I think the first weekend is the most "fun", just from the sheer volume of games in the first two days. And on Thursday morning everybody's bracket is still intact.

After that is probably where the tournament is defined for history but it goes from being about fun to about teams doing their business.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #281
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm. I enjoy the S16/E8 more just because there's still plenty of games but not so many that you have to choose who to watch, and everybody at that point is pretty good. The concentrated quality or whatever is much superior. Even if it's a 13-seed Cinderella or whatever, they still beat some quality to get there so they are playing well. The whole bracket thing has never been as big of a deal to me, so that's probably part of it as well.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-24-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #282
bhlloy
Coordinator

I do agree with the OP though. In terms of close games this has been notably the least exciting first weekend I can ever remember.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm. I enjoy the S16/E8 more just because there's still plenty of games but not so many that you have to choose who to watch, and everybody at that point is pretty good. The concentrated quality or whatever is much superior. Even if it's a 13-seed Cinderella or whatever, they still beat some quality to get there so they are playing well. The whole bracket thing has never been as big of a deal to me, so that's probably part of it as well.

I started doing brackets when I was, I dunno, 8 or 9 years old. That's 40+ years now. About half in the pen & paper era, about half in the online era.

Without a doubt what I'll remember about this year to my dying day is having a #1 (women's) bracket for all of five minutes. I've been 98th-99th percentile several times at different points over the ESPN bracket era but this was the first time I'd ever been at (or tied for) #1.

And it literally came down to which game would finish first (game clocks were less than 20 seconds apart), so I even had drama to go with it

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I started doing brackets when I was, I dunno, 8 or 9 years old. That's 40+ years now. About half in the pen & paper era, about half in the online era.

Without a doubt what I'll remember about this year to my dying day is having a #1 (women's) bracket for all of five minutes. I've been 98th-99th percentile several times at different points over the ESPN bracket era but this was the first time I'd ever been at (or tied for) #1.

And it literally came down to which game would finish first (game clocks were less than 20 seconds apart), so I even had drama to go with it

And that's not to discount the tournament / games themselves in the least.

I still have scorebooks that I kept as a kid during games I was watching on TV. The highlight of those games being Jack Givens 41 pts vs Duke in the '78 title game. Goose Givens is now 62 years old for crying out loud.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #285
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
LOL.

I moved into 1st place in the ESPN women's bracket when Texas A&M survived Marquette.

That lasted about 5 minutes, as I missed FSU/South Carolina and fell into a tie for #269

Still, that's super cool.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #286
spleen1015
Coordinator

Is it hard to listen to Chris Weber for anyone else?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #287
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

I don't know that I necessarily define the overall quality of a tournament by the first weekend, but it does represent 3/4 of the overall games. And having a few of those games actually hanging in the balance over the last ten minutes makes that experience more fun.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #288
miami_fan
Coordinator

I agree with Jon. This first weekend is about fun. After that it is about being the best.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #289
spleen1015
Coordinator

I agree with the notion that this feels like the least exciting first weekend I can remember.

Having said that, I am finding my excitement towards sports is waning as I get older.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #290
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Having said that, I am finding my excitement towards XXXXXX is waning as I get older.

You could put virtually any word in that sentence & I'd concur
Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #291
hoopsguy
General Manager

Dawkins for UCF has put on a show. They just won't let Duke pull away.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #292
Jas_lov
College Starter

Wow! Duke survives
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #293
bhlloy
Coordinator

A couple of dodged bullets on no-calls there for Duke, but all my brackets are very grateful
Old 03-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #294
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How did that tip in not go in?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #295
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe that didn't go in
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #296
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pick a narrative - that’s exactly the kind of early round wake up call a favorite needs vs that game shows us that they aren’t as good as we thought they were
Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #297
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Pick a narrative - that’s exactly the kind of early round wake up call a favorite needs vs that game shows us that they aren’t as good as we thought they were
The rest of the team outside Zion is exactly as bad as I thought they are vs (a competent) zone.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #298
hoopsguy
General Manager

LOL @ Grant Hill, "No memes this year!"

In terms of Duke vs zone, I felt last weekend that them getting MSU on opposite end of the bracket was a worse draw for them than it was for Sparty. Nothing that I saw this afternoon altered that opinion ... if both teams are best versions of themselves, Duke wins going away but average version of each is a rough, rough match-up.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #299
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Favorites are now 15-0 on the moneyline in the 2nd round. I bet a lot of sportsbooks are cheering heavily on UC-Irvine and not having to pay out 16 team moneyline favorite parlays.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 PM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Through 1.5 rounds my women's bracket remains in the top 0.1%, 82nd place nationally. I'm 38-2 so far (missed Drake-Missouri day one, missed SC-FSU on Sunday).

Monday will be critical for my women's bracket as I have 4 upsets (by seed number) picked out of the eight games.