Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #9101
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I have been trying to preach to not be hateful about the rubes and marks who are falling prey to propagandist techniques... be hateful about the hucksters, grifters, and political opportunists who are feeding them.

If so, then...

...this is schadenfreude guy.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-15-2021 at 08:14 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #9102
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What’s the old joke about a priest on a church roof during a flood.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #9103
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So as I was walking to work this morning, I was noticing how we were just starting to see signs of Fall.

And now I have a very slight scratchy throat. And very slight puffy eyes. And any other year, I'd think "Oh, yeah, change of season allergies."

But now I have to think "Is this a very mild breakthrough case? Is it really worth trying to get tested? I guess I should at least take my temperature?"

So fucking exhausting.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #9104
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Every cough, you self-analyse a bit. My allergies are definitely kicking in.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:31 AM   #9105
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I really don't want to hear anything more about Nicki Minaj's cousins balls.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #9106
JPhillips
General Manager

To clarify:

Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend's balls.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #9107
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
To clarify:

Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend's balls.
Oh! Well carry on then.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #9108
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Once you have hit the Nicki Minaj's cousins friends balls part of the simulation I think it is time to start a new game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #9109
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
But now I have to think "Is this a very mild breakthrough case? Is it really worth trying to get tested? I guess I should at least take my temperature?"

So fucking exhausting.

There today, too, with what feels like normal cold symptoms. Getting a swab tomorrow morning. Then pacing.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #9110
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Once you have hit the Nicki Minaj's cousins friends balls part of the simulation I think it is time to start a new game.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:07 PM   #9111
miami_fan
Coordinator

The mixture of disgust and hilarity in the family group chats regarding Nicki Minaj has been stunning.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #9112
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why even bother with the bike?

Old 09-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #9113
RainMaker
General Manager

Don't understand why its so hard to just say you either get vaccinated or you can't work a job where you are in close contact with the public.

Religious exemption requests surge, including thousands within the LAPD, as vaccine mandates rise | KTLA
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:49 PM   #9114
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 09-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #9115
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I had my first confrontation over masks today while I was at Walmart. I let an older man go by me and he said "God Bless you for wearing your mask"
Old 09-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #9116
Ksyrup

Let them eat cake... and... drink their own piss? Well, whatever!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #9117
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Let them eat cake... and... drink their own piss? Well, whatever!

Please let this be the next thing they resort to...
Old 09-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #9118
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Don't understand why its so hard to just say you either get vaccinated or you can't work a job where you are in close contact with the public.

Religious exemption requests surge, including thousands within the LAPD, as vaccine mandates rise | KTLA

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has issued their vaccine exemption letter, which religiously exempts people from working near the unvaccinated:
Vaccine exemption letters « Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I swear, between the Satanists and the Pastafarians... (insert "are we the baddies" gif)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #9119
cuervo72
Head Coach

Of course I just saw a bumper for a Sinclair show "investigating" if COVID death statistics have been exaggerated. "None of the death certificates had COVID on them."
Old 09-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #9120
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

I’m sure you all know, but The Sunday Sport is a low-brow The Onion. I guess it could be appropriated in other countries, but if you know the Sunday Sport, you know every article is a piss take.

Link is most definitely NSFW!

15 of the best, funniest and most outrageous Sunday Sport headlines (NSFW) - Daily Star

Edit - TBH I didn’t know the Sport was still going - I thought it died a death years ago. But made me look at some of the classic (more SFW) headlines!
Sunday Sport - Classic Headlines | Flickr

Last edited by AlexB : 09-16-2021 at 05:30 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #9121
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’m sure you all know, but The Sunday Sport is a low-brow The Onion. I guess it could be appropriated in other countries, but if you know the Sunday Sport, you know every article is a piss take.

Link is most definitely NSFW!

15 of the best, funniest and most outrageous Sunday Sport headlines (NSFW) - Daily Star

Edit - TBH I didn’t know the Sport was still going - I thought it died a death years ago. But made me look at some of the classic (more SFW) headlines!
Sunday Sport - Classic Headlines | Flickr

Could you have let me know sooner? I've been drinking my own piss all week!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #9122
Kodos
Resident Alien

Same thing happened to Kevin Costner in Water World.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #9123
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So, if Putin himself reports dozens of covid cases within his inner circle he's just preparing cover to murder some folks, right?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #9124
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Could you have let me know sooner? I've been drinking my own piss all week!

And did you get COVID this week? If not, it worked!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:47 AM   #9125
Edward64
Head Coach

FYI.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/healt...udy/index.html
Quote:
A head-to-head study of all three authorized coronavirus vaccines in the United States finds the Moderna vaccine is slightly more effective than Pfizer's in real-life use in keeping people out of the hospital, and Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine comes in third, but still provides 71% protection.

Pfizer's vaccine provided 88% protection against hospitalization, and Moderna's was 93% effective.
Quote:
"Differences in vaccine effectiveness between the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine might be due to higher mRNA content in the Moderna vaccine, differences in timing between doses (3 weeks for Pfizer-BioNTech versus 4 weeks for Moderna), or possible differences between groups that received each vaccine that were not accounted for in the analysis," the team wrote.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #9126
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That fits with what we've suspected for a while now. It's likely also why the Moderna had a nastier side effect profile than Pfizer

SI

Old 09-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #9127
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Pleasantly surprising, at least to me, poll showing Americans are basically split on whether booster shots for Americans or getting vaccines out to other countries around the world first are more important.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #9128
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Pleasantly surprising, at least to me, poll showing Americans are basically split on whether booster shots for Americans or getting vaccines out to other countries around the world first are more important.

I want to know quantities that we have at hand first, plans for a worse case (e.g. a Mu, Sigma, Theta etc. variant), and if we have 2022 orders already booked.

But yeah, other than for <12 and some exceptions, the unvaccinated are doing that by "educated" choice, I rather give a large % of excess to the world.

Poll: 73 percent of vaccinated Americans would take COVID vaccine boosters
Quote:
Asked whether domestic booster shots or first shots for developing nations is “more important,” less than one-third of U.S. adults (32 percent) say “offering booster shots to as many Americans as possible.” A greater number (38 percent) say “offer first shots to as many unvaccinated people in other countries as possible,” and nearly as many (30 percent) say they’re not sure.

Among fully vaccinated Americans, the share who want to prioritize boosters ticks up a bit (to 39 percent), but so does the share who think people abroad should get a shot first (45 percent).
FWIW, can't find the chart but supports what below Aug 3 article says. The US is #1 in donations for vaccines and $.

The chart showed China far behind which I remember being curious. I'd assume China was pumping it out and donating heavily around their "silk road" countries. Recent article said China has administered 2.15B doses of their home grown stuff which implies most of their pop is already vaccinated.
Quote:
Calling it a major milestone, U.S. President Joe Biden announced on Tuesday that the country has shipped more than 110 million doses of coronavirus vaccine to 65 nations that are among the hardest hit in the world.

"This is more than the donations of all 24 countries that donate any vaccine to other countries, including China and Russia," Biden said during remarks in the White House East Room.

The president emphasized that Washington is making no demands for its donations of doses.

"And there's no favoritism and no strings attached. We're doing this to save lives to end this pandemic," Biden said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-19-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:51 AM   #9129
Edward64
Head Coach

Article on 5 countries pivoting to "living with Covid"

1) Denmark
2) Singapore
3) Thailand
4) South Africa
5) Chile

Denmark, Singapore, Chile have high vaccination rates. Thailand seems to be doing it out of desperation (and hence, good odds it will backfire) and no vaccination rate reported for SA but assume low also ... so same as Thailand.

The article made me wonder ... aren't the US vaccinated already living with Covid? Other than business & international travel and <12, aren't the majority of us doing what we used to do?

Other than for REI, no other places require masks - didn't see any masks at the football games, didn't see any masks in the drive thru CFA yesterday, there were masks at Costco last weekend but not required etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/world...ntl/index.html

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-19-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:42 PM   #9130
Edward64
Head Coach

This feels a little premature to me. I'm good with opening things up (like the contact tracing, pre-flight test etc.) but don't understand the no quarantine period. Some EU countries have required quarantine period depending on where you come from. This is reasonable to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/polit...ons/index.html
Quote:
In addition to requiring vaccination, the administration said it was taking other steps to mitigate spread of the virus in three other areas: testing, contact tracing and masking.

Fully vaccinated foreign nationals and American citizens returning to the United States from abroad will be required to take a pre-departure Covid-19 test within three days of their flight, and show proof of a negative result before boarding. Unvaccinated Americans returning to the US will be "subject to stricter testing requirements," Zients said, including a test within one day of departure and an additional test when they return.
:
Fully vaccinated passengers will not be subject to any quarantine mandates upon arrival in the US.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention plans to issue a contact tracing order requiring airlines to collect information from US-bound travelers, including a phone number and email address, to alert travelers of potential exposure. Airlines will be required to keep contact tracing information for 30 days.

"This will enable CDC and state and local public health officials to follow up with inbound travelers and those around them if someone has potentially been exposed to Covid-19 and other pathogens," Zients said, adding that this new requirement will be used more broadly going forward to help protect "against any future public health threats."

The new guidance applies to all international travel. Zients said the White House would defer to the CDC on the definition of "fully vaccinated," including on which vaccines qualify. The AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is not yet approved for emergency use in the US, but is widely used in Europe and the rest of the world.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #9131
Edward64
Head Coach

Lower doses for younger kids which makes sense I guess. There's about 48M kids 0-11 and about 25M 5-11. So using 55% vaccination rate, that's another 25M x .55 = 14M vaccinated soon.

Not sure about the 0-4. You would think there is concurrent studies going on for them.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/22/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:
Children have different immune systems from adults. Knowing this, Pfizer tested varying doses in its trials of children 5 to 11. Kids, it turns out, have a strong immune response even to lower doses. So children under 12 will almost certainly be getting a 10-microgram dose of vaccine, compared with a 30-microgram dose for adults.

In fact, most adults could get by with lower doses, too, says Dr. Robert Frenck, who leads vaccine trials at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

"We looked at 10 micrograms, 20 micrograms and 30 micrograms in adults," Frenck told reporters.

"We found in 18- to 55-year-olds, a 10-microgram dose gives a very good immune response," he added.

"But the 65 and above, they did not respond as well to the lower doses and so that's why we chose that 30-microgram dose, across the adult age range from 18 to above."
Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #9132
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The article made me wonder ... aren't the US vaccinated already living with Covid? Other than business & international travel and <12, aren't the majority of us doing what we used to do?

Sort of. But my kid under 12 isn't. So we aren't really there practically or psychologically.

I think that opening the vaccine to < 12 will have a bigger effect than people realize.

Right now, the horse dewormer set still has a fair amount of leverage over anyone with kids.

Once our kids are protected, the "I'd literally rather die than admit that science works" crowd will have less leverage over us, and I'm not sure that's going to go so well for them.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #9133
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: And if the GOP does shut down the government at the end of the month, and if that shutdown keeps the < 12 approval from happening . . .
Old 09-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #9134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's obviously been a huge divide for a while now between the COVID deniers and the rest of us. People in the latter set have varying degrees of careful but there was no denying it was real or that it was a risk - it was just various degrees of risk tolerance (where to mask, what activities were "safe" enough, getting vaccine, etc).

But my wife and I, and a number of other have observed, the other major divide has been between those with younger kids and those without. Sure, in the COVID denier set, they just pretend it doesn't exist or that it's a cold or whatever so they don't feel there's risk to their kids. But among the rational folks - every decision is fraught with worry and there are no easy choices. There's the hard stuff like do we send our kid to school and risk giving them some long COVID complication for the rest of their life or does someone quit a job or homeschool and risk their social development and/or economic consequences. Do we take that vacation that might be good for all of our mental health or is there too much risk to do it? Right down to all sorts of daily decisions.

Never mind if you have young kids, say, under 6. Then it's just the Stephen Colbert-John Oliver segment early in the pandemic where Colbert, who has older kids, was like "say, watching any new shows or taking up any new hobbies". Oliver, exasperated, looks into the camera and "I'm drowning" in a completely sincere tone that seems to frighten everyone else who doesn't have small kids. And he goes on to open up and try and explain how difficult it is, but Colbert just keeps trying to make jokes and back away from the segment so Oliver just stops trying.

SI

Old 09-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #9135
JPhillips
General Manager

43 out of 43000 healthcare workers in Maine have quit rather than get the vaccine. Turns out hardly anyone is willing to throw away their career just for a higher chance of death.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #9136
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
This feels a little premature to me. I'm good with opening things up (like the contact tracing, pre-flight test etc.) but don't understand the no quarantine period. Some EU countries have required quarantine period depending on where you come from. This is reasonable to me.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/polit...ons/index.html

If you're trying to open up to leisure travelers, in what world does quarantine make sense?
Old 09-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #9137
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
43 out of 43000 healthcare workers in Maine have quit rather than get the vaccine. Turns out hardly anyone is willing to throw away their career just for a higher chance of death.

Yea it’s really a silly thing to call a bluff on. You look at something like this:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...lining-vaccine

Some of the nurses who were fired honestly believed they couldn’t fire them all. I saw it all over social media “they can’t fire us all.” OK, well, how is that working out for you guys? Anti-vaxxers in the medical field are extremely frustrating to work with as they seem completely unconcerned with evidenced based practice.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #9138
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
If you're trying to open up to leisure travelers, in what world does quarantine make sense?

If you were vaccinated by AZ or Sinopharm or Russian stuff (e.g. the 2nd tier stuff), then you should have greater scrutiny. If your country is still below x% vaccinated and/or infections greatly increasing, there should be greater scrutiny.

And yes, plenty of countries require US citizens to quarantine for 10-14 days. Seems like the smart thing to do.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #9139
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Sort of. But my kid under 12 isn't. So we aren't really there practically or psychologically.

I think that opening the vaccine to < 12 will have a bigger effect than people realize.

Right now, the horse dewormer set still has a fair amount of leverage over anyone with kids.

Once our kids are protected, the "I'd literally rather die than admit that science works" crowd will have less leverage over us, and I'm not sure that's going to go so well for them.

You are right. Sorry, I should have said

"Other than business & international travel, <12 and families with <12"

That is definitely a big chunk of families.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #9140
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
If you were vaccinated by AZ or Sinopharm or Russian stuff (e.g. the 2nd tier stuff), then you should have greater scrutiny. If your country is still below x% vaccinated and/or infections greatly increasing, there should be greater scrutiny.

And yes, plenty of countries require US citizens to quarantine for 10-14 days. Seems like the smart thing to do.

And nobody goes to those countries
Old 09-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #9141
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
And nobody goes to those countries

See map. Plenty of red. Some orange also have quarantine requirements.

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #9142
GrantDawg

Quote:

A friends son is finally heading to Japan to teach English. He has been trying to get over there since the beginning of the pandemic and is just now being allowed to go. He is having to quarantine for two weeks first.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #9143
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

None of those are 2nd tier stuff. They all work.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #9144
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Depends on your state. The hospitals here had to rescind their vaccine requirements because it left them without enough staff. We're already in a position where healthcare is being rationed and people are being turned away.

Last edited by molson : 09-22-2021 at 11:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #9145
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
A friends son is finally heading to Japan to teach English. He has been trying to get over there since the beginning of the pandemic and is just now being allowed to go. He is having to quarantine for two weeks first.

Yeah, I noticed that Asia seem to like quarantine. Singapore is like don't come if you are US citizen on business even though they have a high vaccination rate.

BTW - friends son teaching english ... TEFL or CELTA certified? or like a BA in Education/Teaching? Regardless, I envy him, would have loved to do that during a gap year.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-22-2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #9146
Ksyrup

Makes total sense. I mean, if your kid feels fine, what else could go wrong by going back to school?

Old 09-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #9147
spleen1015
Coordinator

Kids don't vote so no reason to keep them alive!
Old 09-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #9148
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Our county in NC went even farther last week. They rescinded all current quarantine orders and also eliminated contact tracing so you will not know if you are a close contact going forward. This week, they mostly backtracked due to pressure from the state but FL probably won't put that pressure on this school system.

Edit: I see now that it is the state that issued the order.

Also note that in NC, if you are vaccinated you are not required to quarantine due to a close contact. So quarantines only applied to unvaccinated students anyway.

Last edited by Castlerock : 09-23-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #9149
RainMaker
General Manager

Florida wants to get rid of measles and mumps vaccines too.

Manny Diaz wants to 'review' existing non-COVID-19 vaccine mandates
Old 09-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #9150
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Florida wants to get rid of measles and mumps vaccines too.

Manny Diaz wants to 'review' existing non-COVID-19 vaccine mandates

They should be evaluating everything that infringes on our rights.

Driver's license requirements, speed limits, clothes, etc.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote