Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #151
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
T-Mobile is offering $415 for my 8 Plus when preordering the 12. But this is over 30 month credits.

I don't plan to leave T-Mobile anytime soon so $800 - $415 = $385 for a new 12. Add another approx $50 for 128GB version.

Can't compare T-Mobile Pixel deals yet as there is no info up yet. Don't know what's taking so long.

Apparently and extra $200 trade in if you have been with T-Mobile for 5+ years. I still want to know what the Pixel deals are but Apple is making it feasible to get an iPhone 12.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think I want a 12 mini but I need to physically play with one before I decide.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #153
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just an article about how 5G networks are very limited and the benefits of them are over-promised currently.

Quote:

Ignore phone companies about 5G

By Shira Ovide

There might not be smartphones in billions of pockets today if the phone companies had their way.

Now they’re again standing in the way of progress.
This week’s unveiling of new iPhone models started the typical selling season for smartphones. What’s different in 2020 is Americans are getting pitched hard on buying a new phone to get access to the next generation of cellular networks, known as 5G.

The message is: 5G = Good! Fast! Get it now!

Reality: It is not that good or that fast at the moment and most people in the United States don’t need to get it now.

Americans should be angry about marketing blather winning over clarity about 5G. I fear people will waste their money on half-baked technology and grow disillusioned by 5G’s potential to improve lives.

My message for U.S. phone companies: Communicate more effectively about 5G or go away.

I’ve seen these problems before. In the pre-iPhone age, we had years of clunky mobile devices, and phone providers like AT&T deserved a lot of the blame.

Phone companies dictated almost everything about flip phones and early smartphones, including their features, look and speed. People had to put up with crummy software from the phone company to surf the web or download songs and ringtones. (Remember ringtones?!) It stank.

One of the secrets to the iPhone’s success is Apple simply said no to all of that. Apple’s chief executive at the time, Steve Jobs, gave wireless phone companies an ultimatum: Stay out of every decision about the iPhone or lose a shot at selling a potential blockbuster.

Apple got its way, the iPhone was eventually a success and phone companies got rich from it alongside Apple.

Phone companies did eventually play an important role in making smartphones affordable, useful and available across the globe. But a lesson from that crucial beginning was that phone companies needed to be taken down a peg before a new technology could catch on.

I’m getting bad 2000s vibes from what’s happening now with smartphones.

My colleague Brian X. Chen has written about 5G marketing hot air. This wireless standard should, in theory, allow us to download videos or buy stuff on our phones in a snap. At some point the fast wireless speeds might make it easier for cars without drivers to safely navigate city streets and for more surgeons to operate on patients remotely.

But in the United States right now, 5G is not available in many places nor is it a significant improvement in zippiness — if it’s faster at all — for most people. Phone companies are not being clear about that, mostly.

If you’ve decided to buy a new smartphone, it makes sense to buy one that works on 5G cell networks. Most Americans, however, should not buy a new phone just for 5G. (People in other countries: This may not apply to you.)

Given Apple’s history, I was disappointed that Apple this week echoed the confusion about 5G at its unveiling of new iPhones. Jobs’s successor, Tim Cook, let the boss of Verizon hype 5G. Cook said that 5G is “super fast.” It is! If you stand under just the right light pole on that one block in Chicago.

These 5G cellular networks will get better soon. I worry, though, that in the meantime Americans will grow cynical about the networks’ potential. And if they do, it will mostly be the phone companies’ fault.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #154
Atocep
Coordinator

Not to mention the covid that comes with it.

Based on what I've experienced, I don't think there's any reason to rush out to get a 5G right now. I get definite speed increases in some areas while others are no different than 4G.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #155
Edward64
Head Coach

Just for some distraction from the continuous drama & anxiety of the past 2.5 days ... I'm looking forward to reading reviews of the iPhone 12 Pro Max (and Mini for wife & daughter) which will be announce on Fri so assuming the NDA will expire then.

It's down to iPhone or Pixel. I know Samsung S20 FE (vs Pixel 5) is a pretty good mid-range phone but don't want to wait on updates & patches. High up on my priority list is large screen (eyes getting bad).

At this time, I am leaning against the Pixel 5 $700 (price doesn't justify it unless prices drop $200 or so) and my default is currently Pixel 4a 5G $500 for the low-end. I could see myself getting an iPhone 12 Pro Max (large screen!) because TMobile has good trade in for my current iPhone 8 Plus and also a loyalty $200 bonus (but not sure I qualify) which would bring it down to approx $600 vs 4a 5G $500. It'll be a no brainer then since Pro Max has a much larger screen and has a better trade-in value.

Still don't know how much a 4a 5G will cost. For some reason, TMobile doesn't have it up yet.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #156
Edward64
Head Coach

Reviews are in for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it's pretty good, especially camera at night.

I checked with T-Mobile. I'll be getting a $415 trade in for my 8 Plus and also another $200 as a loyalty bonus for being a customer longer than 5+ years. This means a Pro Max will cost me $1,100 - $415 - $200 or $485.

Pretty good deal for T-Mobile customers.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #157
Edward64
Head Coach

Received my iPhone 12 Pro Max yesterday and transferred my 8 Plus stuff over. Enjoying the larger screen and pics are better.

I think I like the rounded feel of the 8 Plus better than the flat edges though. Dimension wise, it's a tad larger but feels a bigger because of the camera bump.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:15 AM   #158
Edward64
Head Coach

No excitement on 2021 cell phone models?

I'm good with my 12 Pro Max for at least another year.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #159
Edward64
Head Coach

Eh, iPhone 13 doesn't seem all that great. Bigger batteries are good but still with darn lightning vs USB-C.

Disappointed with this year. But 14 rumors include titanium, notch gone, USB-C. If true, pretty big upgrades IMO but that's another 12 months of the hype.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #160
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm still on my iPhone 7 sooo...

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #161
Edward64
Head Coach

Suggest you get a new iPhone. I have an old 6 that I don't use anymore and there's no good trade in values. I think there are still some for the 7.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #162
Edward64
Head Coach

I remember the days when I wanted a new desktop every 2-3 years because the software would get ahead of the hardware. Now the hardware lasts a long time with only like once-in-a-while RAM upgrades, SSD vs HDD, and ... a new video card if you are a gamer. My desktop is an i7-6700 and from 2015-2016 and still runs fine for me.

Other than for cameras, think the smart phones are there now. I wish they would focus on making them lighter.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #163
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm still on my iPhone 7 sooo...

I have a 6.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:41 AM   #164
Edward64
Head Coach

First bold sections describes me exactly. For my vacation in Asia, had my iPhone, Garmin watch, and a laptop. Cable management and adaptors was a major hassle.

I've got an iPhone 12 and will wait for the USB-C before upgrading again. I hope Garmin also gets with the program.

Quote:
European regulators are channeling their inner Marie Kondo to confront the scourge of cable clutter. One major inconvenience may be over at last.
Most the time, you don't want the government getting involved in tech product design, for obvious reasons. Apple's products are cool because of a design icon named Jony Ive — a bunch of DC bureaucrats could never match his output.

But Apple's also guilty of manufacturing an infuriating number of charging cables that work only for its own devices. Lord help you if you're an iPhone user who loves her Kindle and wears a Garmin watch. That's three cables you're packing for a weekend trip. Four if you bring your laptop. It's been this way for decades, and no one likes it.

All of that could change soon.

This week, the European Union took an unusual step to reduce cable clutter and waste by requiring Apple and other smartphone makers to support a single common charging standard for mobile devices as early as the fall of 2024.

FWIW, thinking ahead for my next trip, I asked my wife for below international adaptor for Father's Day. The key was the USB-C 65W PD so I don't need to also bring along my laptop brick.

Access denied

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-15-2022 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:50 PM   #165
Edward64
Head Coach

Apple iPhone 14 (and other goodies) announcement in Sept.

I've got an iPhone 12 and am good for another 1-2 years at least (going to wait until they replaced the damn lightning charger). I'm only excited (?) thinking about the potential stock run up.

Anyone excited about any new cell phones this year?
Old 09-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #166
Atocep
Coordinator

I picked up a galaxy fold 4 over the weekend and its finally the perfect phone for me. I've been a long time Note user as I've wanted a phone/tablet hybrid and this phone nails that. The fold had interested me for a while but the first 3 all had some problems but after reading reviews on the 4 I decided to make the jump.

T-Mobile gave me $1000 rebate plus $315 trade in toward it so it ended up being way cheaper than the Note 20 ultra I was using.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #167
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm still using an iPhone X and... I remain unmoved about why I need to buy an upgrade. I am not a heavy camera user, and am more or less content.

I guess I'm the type of user they had in mind when they sabotaged their own batteries, etc - that may be what it takes to move me to upgrade.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #168
Edward64
Head Coach

iPhone 12 Pro Max here. I'm at the stage where I think smartphone cameras are pretty good enough and don't feel the urge to upgrade every other/year. I certainly don't need more speed either (but don't play games on my phone). But iPhones do retain & have a pretty good trade-in value.

Supposedly a smaller 3 nanometer chip in next year's iPhone 15. And supposedly a USB-C port. I would love it if iPhones lost weight & thickness.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #169
PilotMan
Head Coach

We just updated our Galaxy S8's for S22 Ultra's yesterday (3 of us, the other 2 got the Plus). Verizon gave me an $800 credit per phone for the old phones (low tier, mid tier and high tier all the same) on our account so each of us picked different phones. Could have gotten the base S22 for free basically, but took the top model with the updated storage for the upcharge. So we got $4000 in credit. Merry Christmas.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #170
Edward64
Head Coach

Not in the market for a new iPhone this year, but the SOS feature is very appealing to me as I hike remote trails.

Have to wait on detailed reviews, but this may replace the Garmin inReach and like.

Quote:
With the iPhone 14 models, Apple is introducing a new Emergency SOS via satellite feature that is designed to allow emergency messages to be sent even when cellular and WiFi connections are unavailable.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #171
Edward64
Head Coach

I found this funny and also somewhat reassuring that the feature "works".

Quote:
The iPhone 14’s new Crash Detection feature, which is supposed to alert authorities when it detects you’ve been in a car accident, has an unexpected side effect: it dials 911 on rollercoasters. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, the feature has had law enforcement sent to amusement parks on numerous occasions after mistaking a thrill ride’s twists, turns, and hard braking for a real emergency.

Apple rolled out Crash Detection with its new iPhone 14, Watch Series 8, SE, and Ultra last month, equipping the devices with a gyroscopic sensor and high-g accelerometer trained on the impact experienced with simulated car crashes. If the sensors detect that you’ve been in an accident, your iPhone will display an alert and call emergency services if you don’t dismiss it within 20 seconds.

When it calls law enforcement, it will play an audio message that alerts authorities you’ve been in a crash, and also provides them with your location. (An Apple Watch with Crash Detection can only notify authorities if you have your iPhone with you, or if it’s connected to a mobile network or Wi-Fi.)
Old 10-11-2022, 10:35 PM   #172
Izulde
Head Coach

At this point, I'm going to wait until Apple switches to a universal charger even though I've been eligible for an upgrade from Verizon for literally years

Old 10-11-2022, 11:09 PM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really need a 14 pro. My 12 is really lagging and the battery sucks. I think it’s going to die soon.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #174
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I really need a 14 pro. My 12 is really lagging and the battery sucks. I think it’s going to die soon.

Lagging playing games? or normal stuff?

My battery health is about 85% of orig. That still works for me. Maybe consider getting a replacement battery? I've heard like $50 or so.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My battery is at 84% and I’ve been experiencing random screen blackouts. I wish it would just break altogether so I can turn it into insurance. It’s super hot on one corner, which is expected I guess since I’m non stop running GPS apps on it.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #176
Edward64
Head Coach

Random screen blackouts shouldn't be happening so maybe some weird app you have.

And yeah, battery will definitely suck because of non-stop GPS apps.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #177
Edward64
Head Coach

Pixel 7 is out.

PSA. There's some pretty good trade in value deals. Below is one from Google but know BB is competitive with gift certificates.

https://slickdeals.net/f/16102324-ge...97d8544287ec88

I'm not in the market this year (waiting on iPhone USB-C !) but son is considering upgrading his Samsung.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-14-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:41 PM   #178
Edward64
Head Coach

iPhone battery replacement will cost more in March.

iPhone batteries are getting more expensive — here's when the price goes up | Tom's Guide
Quote:
If you have an old iPhone and are looking to replace the battery you could be in for a shock, as Apple has announced a price increase for the new year. Come March 1, 2023, those with certain Apple devices will be charged an increased rate for battery replacements.

“The current out-of-warranty battery service fee will apply until the end of February 2023. Effective March 1, 2023, the out-of-warranty battery service fee will be increased by $20 [Ł20/AU$36] for all iPhone models prior to iPhone 14,” Apple explains on its iPhone battery replacement and repair page(opens in new tab).
Old 03-01-2023, 07:57 AM   #179
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward when this "really, really" quick charging technology eventually migrates to other brands.

I want lighter & slimmer smartphones in the 6+ inch range with 1.5 day long battery life. I'm guessing that won't happen anytime soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/28/real...9-minutes.html
Quote:
Chinese smartphone maker Realme wants stand out in a crowded space of mid-tier devices. So on Tuesday, it launched a smartphone it claims can be fully charged in 9 minutes and 30 seconds.

The company took the wraps off of its GT3 smartphone at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, the largest mobile trade show in the world. It’s looking to grow its business outside of China, and joins a flurry of Chinese vendors looking to target overseas markets.

The GT3 starts at $649, putting it in an extremely competitive segment where Realme will compete with Chinese rivals like Xiaomi and Oppo, which offer low-cost devices with high specs.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:39 AM   #180
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I have the latest OnePlus phone (basically an OPPO) and it is crazy how fast the charging is. And we don't get the full wattage from the wall in the states either so it's a tad slower than it could be.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #181
Edward64
Head Coach

I do believe Apple was right in delaying rolling out 5G for a couple years when competitors were advertising theirs. Other than in some select areas, when I see the T-Mobile 5G indicator, I really don’t notice much difference.

But there are some stuff that are real benefits such as fast charging, USB-C etc that Apple is not as competitive. I believe Apple is gaining market share but can’t help believe it’s because of the ecosystem & branding, and not the actual iPhone itself.

Sure hope their VR/AR stuff is their next big thing and is successful. Ready for a real paradigm shift with smartphones and wearables.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:37 AM   #182
Edward64
Head Coach

I have a specific use case but thought to share a FYI about using Tello & parking a second phone#.

I have a cheaper Android phone I use when travelling overseas. I take my iPhone overseas but pretty much leave it at the hotel room/safe and get a local SIM card at the airport. I used the Android so I don't have to worry about my phone being swiped when I'm doing touristy stuff or leaving it in a Grab/Uber. The Android doesn't have any private stuff or banking apps but stuff like Google Maps, Translate, currency exchange etc.

For the Android, I've use GoogleFi and got a second phone# with it. And the monthly price of $25 is pretty good. But I continue to pay that even if I'm not travelling.

GoogleFi lets you park your phone# (e.g. when I'm not travelling) for up to 3 months. But I wanted to find a way to park my phone & second phone# for longer and at a cheaper cost.

After some research, I ended up getting a low cost pay-as-you-go with Tello. Their cheapest configuration was $5/month but I got the $6 for minimal minutes & data. The transfer of my second phone# from GoogleFi to Tello was painless.

So not as cheap as NumberBarn and like but it gives me basic functionality if I did decide to use my Android in the US, and it lets me keep my second phone# (which I'm now close to memorizing).

In summation - I use Tello for my specific use case for parking a second phone#, but if you need a really cheap pay-as-you-go plan, consider Tello.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-16-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #183
Izulde
Head Coach

I think I'm out on Apple this next go-round, but we'll see.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:27 PM   #184
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I think I'm out on Apple this next go-round, but we'll see.

Family's iPhones are 2.5 years so we were thinking about upgrading on this next cycle (and only if there's the damn USB-C plug). Wife & daughter really like their iPhone 12 mini (for the size) and since there won't be a 15 mini, may choose to keep theirs.

If I upgrade this year, it'll prob be to the cheaper and non-Pro Max version. Or just get a battery swap and keep it for another year. Also have to see the deals that T-Mobile is giving on trade-ins in Nov-Dec.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:23 AM   #185
Edward64
Head Coach

I have T-mobile. Just one data point but it did seem that T-mobile was doing a good job with spam but past year or two, there's been more slipping through.

I just ignore (and block) the calls if I don't recognize them as I figure any legit ones will leave a message. For text message, I just block them. Also, Gmail does a decent job in sending stuff to the spam folder automatically but still not perfect.

FCC orders phone companies to block scam text messages | Ars Technica
Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission today finalized rules requiring mobile carriers to block robotext messages that are likely to be illegal. The FCC described the rules as the agency's "first regulations specifically targeting the increasing problem of scam text messages sent to consumers."

Carriers will be required to block text messages that come from "invalid, unallocated, or unused numbers." Carriers must also block texts from "numbers that the subscriber to the number has self-identified as never sending text messages, and numbers that government agencies and other well-known entities identify as not used for texting," the FCC said.
I think this is related to selling my contact info to 3rd parties when I use them for a legit site but then get an uptick in spam later.

Quote:
The FCC said it's further proposing to close the "lead generator loophole" that "allows companies to use a single consumer consent to deliver robocalls and text messages from multiple—perhaps thousands—of marketers on subjects that may not be what the consumer had in mind."

All in all, a great move. The question is can the carriers execute well. But yeah, I think the solution is the carriers enforcing rules and eliminating spam.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:40 PM   #186
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Pixel 7 is out.

PSA. There's some pretty good trade in value deals. Below is one from Google but know BB is competitive with gift certificates.

bubble2

I'm not in the market this year (waiting on iPhone USB-C !) but son is considering upgrading his Samsung.
The wife and I went over to Xfinity today. We had been kicking it around for awhile and had decided not to, but then Tmobile decided to raise the price of our plan $30 bucks for no reason, and that gave us a reason to switch. We traded in our phones, which I went from a S21+ to a S23+ (no real change). My wife went from a Pixel4 to a Pixel 7. She has had it 2 hours and is ready to throw it in the river. They have changed the interface so much that she can't figure out how to do anything with it. Why do companies do that? I have yet to find one those big interface upgrades in the last ten years to be an improvement.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:51 PM   #187
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was giving serious consideration to trading in my Galaxy 21 Ultra for a 23 Ultra with the $800 trade-in deal everyone is offering but I decided to try to get 1 more year out of this battery. But a brand new phone would have been like $11 a month. Nothing wrong with the phone except I definitely notice the battery is starting to go.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #188
GrantDawg

I got $650 for my S23+. Another motivation to switch.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #189
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

About 5 years ago (on my S7), I did a battery replacement for like $100 at one of the local repair shops and it felt like a new phone for another year or year and a half. I'm considering doing it with my S10 now.

Kids, don't Pokemon Go. It's murder on the battery.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:12 AM   #190
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The wife and I went over to Xfinity today. We had been kicking it around for awhile and had decided not to, but then Tmobile decided to raise the price of our plan $30 bucks for no reason, and that gave us a reason to switch. We traded in our phones, which I went from a S21+ to a S23+ (no real change). My wife went from a Pixel4 to a Pixel 7. She has had it 2 hours and is ready to throw it in the river. They have changed the interface so much that she can't figure out how to do anything with it. Why do companies do that? I have yet to find one those big interface upgrades in the last ten years to be an improvement.

Made me look. We're still at the T-Mobile family plan of 4 for $80 for the basic plan. What plan were you guys on? I did a look-see around BF and did not see any plans that could beat what we had, but did not check Xfinity.

My cheap Android is a Redmi (bought it at an airport in Asia, asked for cheapest one). Its still functional for what I need but Android support has been dropped. I hate the Miu interface and was thinking of maybe getting a Pixel for the vanilla experience. But will have to be a great deal.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-26-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:31 AM   #191
GrantDawg

Quote:
Made me look. We're still at the T-Mobile family plan of 4 for $80 for the basic plan. What plan were you guys on? I did a look-see around BF and did not see any plans that could beat what we had, but did not check Xfinity.

My cheap Android is a Redmi (bought it at an airport in Asia, asked for cheapest one). Its still functional for what I need but Android support has been dropped. I hate the Miu interface and was thinking of maybe getting a Pixel for the vanilla experience. But will have to be a great deal.
I don't really remember the orginal plan, but we were paying $90 for two phones and it jumped to $125. Now ours is $80 a month with the mid-tier Xfinity plan.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:11 AM   #192
Edward64
Head Coach

I thought below article was interesting. I have to do more research here.

If there is GPS functionality (and basic text, email), I would consider one for my multi-day hikes. The old Motorola Razor flip phone was about 3.5 ounces. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is 8 ounces. I only get consistent T-Mobile at mountain peaks anyway and don't really need the majority of the smartphone stuff.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/29/dumb...reen-time.html
Quote:
Dumb phones may be falling out of fashion on a global scale, but it’s a different story in the U.S.

Companies like HMD Global, the maker of Nokia phones, continue to sell millions of mobile devices similar to those used in the early 2000s. This includes what’s known as “feature phones” — traditional flip or slide phones that have additional features like GPS or a hotspot.

“I think you can see it with certain Gen Z populations — they’re tired of the screens,” said Jose Briones, dumb phone influencer and moderator of the subreddit, “r/dumbphones.” “They don’t know what is going on with mental health and they’re trying to make cutbacks.”
Old 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM   #193
Edward64
Head Coach

Smart of Apple to diversify. And to diversify into a growth market with vast, untapped potential market.

I've read in some Android phones the SOC is sometimes different for India (assume because of costs & local pricing). I can see Apple doing this for the local market. My 2+ year old A14 Bionic is still running everything I need now and for the foreseeable future.

https://www.scmp.com/tech/big-tech/a...ion-away-china
Quote:
India-made iPhones surged in volume and value last year, as Apple moved to shift some production away from China in a bid to diversify its supply chain.
:
As a result, Apple last year accounted for 25 per cent of the value of India’s total smartphone shipments, up from 12 per cent in 2021, according to Counterpoint.

China produces up to 85 per cent of iPhones globally, but is at risk of losing its dominance as Apple takes steps to shift more of its manufacturing supply chain outside China.
Quote:
In 2020, the Indian government launched a US$6.65 billion plan that offered global smartphone makers incentives to relocate their manufacturing to the country.

Apple contract manufacturer Foxconn Technology Group is reportedly planning to invest about US$700 million on a new plant in India to boost local production
Old 04-23-2023, 07:49 AM   #194
Edward64
Head Coach

I've played with the Samsung version and the crease bugs me. You can still see the crease but can see how you get use to it after a while.

Unsure if this will take off without (or until) an Apple version. I guess one can justify this as a smartphone + tablet and do away with a traditional tablet. But with the $1,800 price tag (and depreciation factor after 2 years), I'd rather buy a $600 smartphone + laptop/desktop.

Google Pixel Fold Leaks in Full - Thurrott.com
Quote:
With just two and a half weeks to go until its formal announcement, the Google Pixel Fold has fully leaked, with a complete look at its specifications and, sadly, some rather large display bezels.
:
The first is from Jon Prosser, who confirmed the $1799 price tag and May 30 availability, but added that this configuration includes 256 GB of UFS 3.1 storage and will come in Chalk and Obsidian colors. A 512 GB configuration will cost $1919 and will only be made available in Obsidian, he said. And that Pixel Watch perk? It’s only for those who preorder the device from Google.

Prosser also provided more information about the device’s specifications, which include 12 GB of LPDDR5 RAM, like the Pixel 7 Pro, a 5.8-inch Full HD+ OLED outer display with a resolution of 2092 × 1080 (408 ppi), and a 7.6-inch internal OLED folding display with a 6:5 aspect ratio and a resolution of 2208 × 1840 (380 ppi). Both displays run at 120 Hz and the folding display is protected by plastic.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-23-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:03 AM   #195
Ksyrup

I've considered switching to a fold at some point. The last tablet I bought was trash and a waste of $300, and it was supposed to be one of the good ones. It was slow as hell and pretty much useless, so it's been in a drawer since the week after I bought it. So if I'm going to watch more stuff on my phone, this makes sense to me because I'll never buy another tablet again.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-23-2023, 09:25 AM   #196
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've considered switching to a fold at some point. The last tablet I bought was trash and a waste of $300, and it was supposed to be one of the good ones. It was slow as hell and pretty much useless, so it's been in a drawer since the week after I bought it. So if I'm going to watch more stuff on my phone, this makes sense to me because I'll never buy another tablet again.

I bought a S6 Lite because it was supposed to be pretty good for the price $270. It was slow as molasses.

Sold it on eBay for $120 and bought an iPad. So instead of sitting in your drawer, eBay it.

Just a prediction ... when you get older, you'll want a tablet for the bigger screen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-23-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:03 AM   #197
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't understand the appeal of a fold phone. And I'm pretty happy with my basic model iPad.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #198
Ksyrup

I'm already older, so that's why I got it. But honestly, I never really used my previous tablets all that much and thought that upgrading would increase my use. Instead, it sucked and I've just dealt with using my phone and laptop. Aside from airplanes and vacations, I don't really watch TV or anything while I'm out of the house, so I don't have as much of a need.

And Kodos, that's the appeal (to me, anyway) - phone/tablet in one, making it easier on the eyes to read/watch.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #199
Ksyrup

Quote:
I was giving serious consideration to trading in my Galaxy 21 Ultra for a 23 Ultra with the $800 trade-in deal everyone is offering but I decided to try to get 1 more year out of this battery. But a brand new phone would have been like $11 a month. Nothing wrong with the phone except I definitely notice the battery is starting to go.

Fast forward a month, and I'm REALLY giving serious consideration to doing the trade-in for $800 credit towards an S23+ or Ultra. I'm not sure my battery is going to make it to next February when I expect the S24 to come out. Today, I'm already down to 47% and I used it for 2 short calls and a bit of reading, although I've mostly been busy with work so not a ton of use.

The issue is you have to agree to a 36 month contract and the $800 is spread out over 36 months. My current phone is about 26 months old and needing to be replaced. So I'm concerned the same thing is going to happen, but I'll be stuck owing a decent amount on the new phone to pay it off (just eat it and lose the remaining monthly credits) or have to deal with it for a full 3 years.

Still, a new phone for under $15 a month for a couple of years is tempting...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-27-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #200
GrantDawg

Quote:
Fast forward a month, and I'm REALLY giving serious consideration to doing the trade-in for $800 credit towards an S23+ or Ultra. I'm not sure my battery is going to make it to next February when I expect the S24 to come out. Today, I'm already down to 47% and I used it for 2 short calls and a bit of reading, although I've mostly been busy with work so not a ton of use.

The issue is you have to agree to a 36 month contract and the $800 is spread out over 36 months. My current phone is about 26 months old and needing to be replaced. So I'm concerned the same thing is going to happen, but I'll be stuck owing a decent amount on the new phone to pay it off (just eat it and lose the remaining monthly credits) or have to deal with it for a full 3 years.

Still, a new phone for under $15 a month for a couple of years is tempting...
I love my S23+.