Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2017, 03:18 AM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone with Sleep Apnea here?

So I've had issues over the years with sleep and being tired. Tried everything at some point. It's never felt bad enough that it was ruining my life or anything, but was an annoyance. Eventually gave in and went to the doctor who put me through the tests. Came back I have a bit of sleep apnea and a deviated septum.

I'm wondering if anyone has it and have some questions.

1) Is it worth it to get a machine and go through all that stuff each night? Is the difference dramatic?

2) How much did it cost? I'm right on the verge of signing up for a new health insurance plan for next year (they changed our previous Blue Cross plan) and wondering if I should go with something a bit more expensive to cover these potential costs. I usually just get a cheaper plan because I'm relatively young, don't have any health issues, and rarely go to the doctor.

3) Any alternative treatments? I guess I could lose about 10-15 pounds although I'm not sure that would make a huge difference. I wouldn't consider myself fat or anything.

I've heard of these mouthpiece devices where you blow into it at increasingly harder resistance. Supposed to increase the muscles for blowing air in and out. Probably total BS but wondering if anyone has tried.

I bought a blue light and now have glasses that reflect out blue light at night because I work on a computer all day.

Anyways, any help or information would be great. Came as kind of a shock to me when they told me.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I have massive sleep apnea, I previously had a tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy, to try to fix it (I was stopping breathing an absurd amount of times).

The problem is that I absolutely cannot take the masks or nostrils as I am a stomach sleeper, and it would just drive me crazy.

I should still, mind you.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

1. I was also worried about the hassle of the machine. I found it to be a great help. I prefer the nose pillows to the other options. I went from a restless 3-5 with at least an hour of sleeplessness a night and taking naps during the day to a solid 6-7 hours on most nights. After about a couple weeks of getting used to the nose pillows, I was good to go. I do sleep on my side most for the most part.

2. I was diagnosed while I was in the military so I am not sure on the cost.

3. I have lost some weight since I was diagnosed. On the rare nights I fall asleep without my mask, I feel the same as I did before my diagnosis. So for me, weight loss was not the answer. I have not tried anything else.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was diagnosed earlier this year.

1) It is definitely worth it for me. I'm sleeping so much deeper. I went a long time (maybe years?) without dreams. Now, I'm dreaming. My memory is so much better. I feel better than I have in years.

2) I have a great health plan so I don't pay anything but 10 dollars. I believe it would cost around 1,000 dollars without insurance for the machine. I also get free refill of supplies every few months. I think those would be 50-100 dollars per shot without. I get a free new mask every 6 months and the mask I like runs around 100 dollars as well.

3) I lost weight and had the test. It didn't matter. It is the shape of my throat that gives it to me. I also have 3 uncles with sleep apnea and one is thin.

Edit to add: I tried several different masks in the lab. I could not tolerate the nasal pillows or even the nasal mask because I'm a bit of a mouth sleeper at night and I was afraid about that. I went with the Amara "view" mask which is this new slim mask that covers the mouth and sits right under the nose. I love it. I took to it right away. I can still watch TV even when wearing it which I like to do before I fall asleep or read which I also like to do.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-10-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

I would look into seeing if you are a candidate for a dental appliance that holds the jaw in a position that prevents the apnea. If it is a mild case this may be your best route.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't have sleep apnea but have started snoring. I spoke with the Dr. and tried a wedge pillow and that has worked great.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

(if link doesn't work, search on "wedge pillow" on amazon.com)

I still snore occasionally but wife says it has fixed my snoring problem.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

I have a pretty severe case. Have had a cpap for over five years. I have always been a deep sleeper so it has never bothered me. The difference between using it and not is pretty dramatic. The only nights I haven't used it since I got it were two nights we didn't have power after Hurricane Sandy.

My insurance covered the machine and sleep test ($50 copay) initially. We have since changed medical insurance and now I pay about $100 every six months for new supplies.

For travel purposes, I did just get a sleep apnea mouthpiece about a month ago. Had to pay for that out of pocket since my insurance won't cover the machine and the mouthpiece. That was expensive, but when I wake up in the morning having used the mouthpiece, I don't feel any different than when I use the cpap. The mouthpiece shifts my lower jaw slightly so that I don't stop breathing. I went to a dentist that specializes in sleep apnea treatment for the mouthpiece. I still use the cpap most nights, but have the mouthpiece as backup for travel and/or power outages and have been using it about once a week.

Last edited by pbot : 12-10-2017 at 07:18 PM.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
SackAttack
Head Coach

read this title as 'anybody sleep with Apnea' and I was like 'god damn but names are getting fucking weird'
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I have apnea but nothing to add here, machine is 1K, Kaiser pays half.... Im a stomach sleeper so it doesnt do any good.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I can't have a restful night without my machine. I would jar myself awake when ever I stop breathing.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #11
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Had a machine for two years:

1) Machine does make a difference. Prior to getting put on it, I was waking up 1-2 times a night and sleeping about a total of 4-6 hours at best as I tend to be wide awake when wake up. Machine let's me sleep through the night and for longer periods (10+ hours) when needed. When I haven't used the machine, it's back to the waking up periodically at night and little sleep.

2) I got mine while in the military and the VA covers what I need now. I was 38 before being diagnosed and had been tested 5 years earlier without being put on a CPAP.

3) Weight loss supposedly helps, but I'm not sure I believe it as I was at my lowest weight in 18 years a few months before being diagnosed.

I go with the nose/mouth mask; took to it right away and have no problems with it. The air that blows through actually helps me go to sleep easier as well.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I got diagnosed with it about 3-4 years ago. According to the study, I needed like a 12 or 14 setting - even with the ramp up it was like sleeping in a wind tunnel.

I've lost about 20 pounds since then and learned to be a side sleeper (used to sleep on my back). I haven't used the machine in years, but I'm guessing it would make things a little better. As it is, I usually only wake up 1-2 times a night and my snoring isn't as bad if I side sleep. if I fall asleep on my back, I definitely snore like a train. Every now and then my chest is a little tight when I wake up like I struggled, but I seem to be OK. I may try the machine again down the road - but I've learned to be OK with the side sleeping.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

So those who had insurance, did you have to pay for it up to your deductible or does insurance just cover equipment? I am so clueless on insurance since I rarely use it. Like when I did a sleep study where I had to wear some watch for 3 weeks, I didn't pay a dime for some reason.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
1) Is it worth it to get a machine and go through all that stuff each night? Is the difference dramatic?

All of this is personal experience only. Sure, I'm glad I got diagnosed. But after that, no it was not worth it because I could not fall asleep with anything on my face. I tried pretty hard to get used to it, but could not. So no idea if it would make a difference, because it never worked for me. Partly because of the thing on my face, and partly because I can't sleep on my back very well. Am a side or stomach sleeper.

Quote:
2) How much did it cost? I'm right on the verge of signing up for a new health insurance plan for next year (they changed our previous Blue Cross plan) and wondering if I should go with something a bit more expensive to cover these potential costs. I usually just get a cheaper plan because I'm relatively young, don't have any health issues, and rarely go to the doctor.

I have a PPO, and it cost me something like $300-400 just to get tested and then get the machine, which I used for about 2 weeks.

Quote:
3) Any alternative treatments? I guess I could lose about 10-15 pounds although I'm not sure that would make a huge difference. I wouldn't consider myself fat or anything.

Losing weight. I probably need to lose more like 50-75 pounds, but eh.

My insurance covered some aspects of the testing and portions of the machine. Like I said, I probably paid close to $400 when all was said and done, and that was returning the machine after 2 weeks. I think if I had kept it longer than that, I would've been on the hook for a lot more.

Last edited by Butter : 12-11-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So those who had insurance, did you have to pay for it up to your deductible or does insurance just cover equipment? I am so clueless on insurance since I rarely use it. Like when I did a sleep study where I had to wear some watch for 3 weeks, I didn't pay a dime for some reason.

Varies wildly between insurance plans. Mine covers everything but a 10 dollar copay.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
rjolley
College Starter

I got tested soon after hearing Reggie White's death was related to sleep apnea. I was told I snored loudly and stopped breathing a lot during the night. My insurance at the time covered the sleep study and the CPAP and I've had a machine since. I was tested a couple of years ago since it had been 10 years since I was last tested. Still need the machine, unfortunately.

1) Yes, it has definitely been worth it for me to get a machine. I wish I would've gotten mine earlier. The difference in how you feel in the morning and throughout the day is noticeable. Before, I would be extremely tired throughout the day. After getting the machine, that went away, for the most part. And now, when I sleep without the machine, I feel it in the morning. I have found that sleeping in a chair without a machine is ok, though.

I use the full mask. I had problems with it at first, but I was able to adjust fairly quickly. The air pressure reminded me of being outside on a very windy day and trying to breathe facing into the wind.

2) My health plan covered it during the initial study, and covered the latest one (different plans). I do pay for the supplies, but it's less that $100.

3) The way the doctor explained my options to me, losing weight may help, but possibly not completely. I played basketball in college and when I went to college, I started lifting weights. That put on 30 pounds of muscle, which is good for sports, but, according to the doctor, may be a reason I have sleep apnea. According to him, while the muscles get bigger, the airway does not, and the increased muscle mass can help constrict the airway.

I have noticed since I've lost weight that I am sleeping better, but I don't think that's due to the impact of that on my apnea. Once I get down to my goal weight, I'm going to look into taking another study and see if I need the machine anymore.

Another option the doctor mentioned at the time was surgery. That was considered a last chance effort. Since the CPAP worked, I never explored it beyond that.

Hope you're able to be diagnosed and treated. You don't realize how important good sleep is until you haven't slept well for years, then start getting a good night's sleep consistently.

Last edited by rjolley : 12-11-2017 at 07:40 PM.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
I've been suffering from a lack of sleep quality lately. Sometimes I get less than six hours of sleep, but even when I get eight, I feel like I haven't sleep much. I'm groggy basically during daylight hours every day.

I was wondering if I have sleep apnea, but reading this thread I wonder if that's really the case, because some of your cases sound serious. I find myself often waking up in the middle of the night for no particular reason, usually lying on my back. My wife says she doesn't often hear me snore, and it's usually not loud unless I have a cold, and I haven't noticed any problems breathing, but sometimes in the morning my mouth will feel dry like it was open all night.

I know you guys aren't doctors, but any insight would be helpful.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #18
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
I've been suffering from a lack of sleep quality lately. Sometimes I get less than six hours of sleep, but even when I get eight, I feel like I haven't sleep much. I'm groggy basically during daylight hours every day.

I would ask for a sleep study based on those statements alone. Before I was tested, it didn't matter how much sleep I got, I never felt more rested than before I went to sleep.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #19
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
I would ask for a sleep study based on those statements alone. Before I was tested, it didn't matter how much sleep I got, I never felt more rested than before I went to sleep.
OK, I'm going to see where I can get a sleep study done around here. Thanks for the insight!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah it sounds like you might have a mild case.

One other thing worth trying for people is getting some blue blocking glasses. You can find things like Gunnars that can run like $40 or more. But there are some cheap knockoffs for like $10 that do almost as good a job. Blue light is not good for us before bed. Just messes with our sleep.

On top of that, I know the newer versions of Apple iPod and iPad have a "night mode" that you can set to go on at a certain time. Just eliminates some of the blue light. Similar to f.lux that is popular on computers.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I've had a machine since around 2000, and it is great. Most health plans call the machine and supplies 'durable medical equipment' and cover DME 100 percent just like crutches. Now that I'm on Medicare this still 100 percent.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

1. Yes, yes, yes. It made a dramatic difference for me. I don't care about wearing the mask at night. From day 1 it made a huge difference.

2. I have good insurance, so its not that much for me.

3. If I lose about 40 more pounds, I don't think I will need the machine any more.

My wife has been telling me that I snore for years. In 2017, my weight got out of control and I started really not sleeping very well.

I got to the point where I couldn't stay awake throughout the day. I couldn't drive for more than 10-15 minutes without getting very drowsy. I was up every hour taking a leak at night. It got to the point where it was impacting my work performance so I had to go get a machine.

Turns out I had one of the worst cases of obstructive sleep apnea my doc had ever seen. I was getting pretty much no sleep every night.

I got the machine and the very first night I got a full night's sleep. I had no issue wearing the mask, getting used to the mask, etc. I've been using it for about 3-4 months now.

Once I get down to about 240, I am going to try sleeping without the machine.

One thing about sleep apnea and your doc should tell you. Not sleeping impacts your body in a very negative way. For example, the taking a leak every hour through the night was doing a number on my kidneys.

It has been an incredible life improvement for me.

I think you should do it.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #23
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hopefully everyone who has this machine have been informed already. A friend of mine found out about the recall when he went to his bi-annual appointment last week.

Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication | FDA

Quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting people who use Philips Respironics ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP machines and their health care providers that Philips Respironics has recalled certain devices (see table below) due to potential health risks. The polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam, which is used to reduce sound and vibration in these affected devices, may break down and potentially enter the device’s air pathway. If this occurs, black debris from the foam or certain chemicals released into the device’s air pathway may be inhaled or swallowed by the person using the device.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #24
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Hopefully everyone who has this machine have been informed already. A friend of mine found out about the recall when he went to his bi-annual appointment last week.

Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication | FDA

Appreciate the post. Going to have to get this checked out. Can't really sleep without one of these things now. Been doing it for fifteen years now. Back in the mid 90s I had a uvulectomy performed. I've been told the procedure is much rarer now. It improved my sleep apnea to the degree that I went without the Cpap for about ten years immediately after, though not exactly at the recommendation of my doctor.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote