Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Real question - I think players (okay, maybe not fringe relievers, but certainly starters) could survive credible allegations of past dick pics, but how many other coaches/front office types do you think are sweating right now? It's definitely in the double digits.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:43 AM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

I would say it less than five. They don't believe they did anything wrong. The women would not have been online if they did not expect to get dick pics.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #53
BYU 14
Coordinator

Of all the things to show what a sweet, loving guy you are, a Dick pic? Who still does that?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dola, who ever thought that was a good idea?
Old 02-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's essentially the same theory as a friend of mine used back in the day. He had a rather {cough} forward opening line he used regularly with women. (It was so over the top I ain't quoting it here).

Yes, it got him slapped about 3/10 times.
But it got him laid about 1/10 times too.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hard read, but worthwhile IMO if you're up to it.

San Francisco Giants outfielder Drew Robinson's remarkable second act
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #57
JPhillips
General Manager

The Rockies GM said they traded Arenado because they were sure he'd opt out and leave after this season. So instead of paying him 35 mil and keeping him for a year, they decided it would be better to pay the Cards 50 mil so he would play there.

hmm.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #58
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Rockies GM said they traded Arenado because they were sure he'd opt out and leave after this season. So instead of paying him 35 mil and keeping him for a year, they decided it would be better to pay the Cards 50 mil so he would play there.

hmm.

I guess they bought the prospects for $15MM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #59
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hard read, but worthwhile IMO if you're up to it.

San Francisco Giants outfielder Drew Robinson's remarkable second act

Hooey, you weren't kidding. Thanks for sharing, that was incredible.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per MLB Network, Trevor Bauer is heading to the World Champs.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #61
miami_fan
Coordinator

Trevor Bauer signing with Los Angeles Dodgers, sources say
Old 02-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Fuck.

Ring chaser.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #63
BYU 14
Coordinator

No surprise there, Bauer is 100% about his brand and nothing does more for that then a ring in either NY or LA.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Fuck.

Ring chaser.

He's a CA kid and one of the original Driveline believers while the Mets are a decade behind on biomechanical analysis because of the Wilpons. I would have been pleasantly shocked if he had signed.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Fuck.

Ring chaser.

I can't imagine an arbitrary deadline helped the Mets cause. No surprised he signed shortly after.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:55 PM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can't imagine an arbitrary deadline helped the Mets cause. No surprised he signed shortly after.

He was never signing with the Mets. He used them to get more money from LA. I would never wish injury on a player but I hope he has a terrible year
Old 02-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #67
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am not sure that ring chaser is really an insult... The ridiculous salary offering probably helped too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why wouldn't players chase rings if so many idiots are going to judge their careers solely on the number of championships they won?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

To me it is a bitch move to join a team that already was a championship team. I thought the same thing about KD.

You want to do something noteworthy, lead another team to a title, don't ride others coattails.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:20 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Why wouldn't players chase rings if so many idiots are going to judge their careers solely on the number of championships they won?

Yep. And I would want a ring myself. I'd totally be a ring chaser and wouldn't give a fuck.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:27 AM   #71
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I am not sure that ring chaser is really an insult... The ridiculous salary offering probably helped too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I mean, he's long been on record as wanting to go year to year to maximize his earnings. I'm hearing the Mets were offering $105 million over 3 years, so at that point, it's a question of what was different about the Dodgers' offer. Did they offer two opt outs while the Mets only offered one? Was the Mets' offer not front-loaded like LA's, but spread out as an even $35 million/year? Were the Dodgers willing to let Bauer pitch every 4th day because of their largesse of SP riches, while the Mets wanted him to do a more conventional every 5th day?

Analytics gap? Allure of pitching 30 miles from his home town?

Or, sure, thinking about what a ring might do to his salary prospects if he opts out after year 1 (or year 2) and weighed the likelihood of either team winning a ring in the next two years?

Quote:
To me it is a bitch move to join a team that already was a championship team. I thought the same thing about KD.

You want to do something noteworthy, lead another team to a title, don't ride others coattails.

I don't think he cares about doing "something noteworthy." I think he cares about his brand and about getting paid. Also, this ain't the NBA; what team would he join that wouldn't be championship caliber without him, but his addition would put them over the top to get past the Braves or Dodgers, Yankees or Astros, to reach/win the Series? One player doesn't do that in MLB the way he can in the NBA.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #72
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
One player doesn't do that in MLB the way he can in the NBA.

MadBum says hi.

TB is a bitch.

Let’s not forget I’m an irrational mets fan.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #73
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mets fans always gotta hate on the Dodgers anyway. It's literally in their blood. otoh, Dodger fans can cheer for the Mets rather easily, because they are like some long lost cousin you didn't know about until last year. You found out they did some pretty weird shit, but hey, family is family.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #74
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
MadBum says hi.

TB is a bitch.

Let’s not forget I’m an irrational mets fan.

MadBum did not drag his team to a World Series. LeBron dragged some otherwise abysmal Cavs teams to conference championship games and NBA Finals.

What MadBum did was, once the team got there, say "hop on; I got this."

But you still gotta be able to GET there for your big signing to have a chance to put a thumb on the scale.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have zero hate for the Dodgers. Literally none. I actually like them.

As for Madbum they do t win that series without him, so one player certainly made a difference.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #76
Atocep
Coordinator

Rip Pedro Gomez
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #77
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
MadBum did not drag his team to a World Series. LeBron dragged some otherwise abysmal Cavs teams to conference championship games and NBA Finals.

What MadBum did was, once the team got there, say "hop on; I got this."

But you still gotta be able to GET there for your big signing to have a chance to put a thumb on the scale.

It's very difficult to compare the impact a starting pitcher can have on a baseball team vs. a starting player in the NBA. Pitchers play every 5 days.

You can have a massive feat like Madbum did, but it could have possibly shortened his career, as pitcher arms can't be overused like that for long.

LeBron has also jumped from superteam to superteam to collect chips, which severely tarnishes his legacy. What jersey does he wear in the hall of fame? Who is he associated with? In the end, he's a great player, but it does affect the "legend", as he is a journeyman.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #78
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Rip Pedro Gomez

This sucks, if you are a Baseball fans you have spent hours listening to him
Old 02-08-2021, 08:49 AM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Rip Pedro Gomez

Westchester's own

RIP
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #80
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just heard about Gomez about an hour ago. Crazy. Never like the "died unexpectedly" thing, but at his age it could be a number of things.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #81
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Just heard about Gomez about an hour ago. Crazy. Never like the "died unexpectedly" thing, but at his age it could be a number of things.

And his age is my age LOL, I just can't accept a 58 year old mindset though, which hopefully buys another 30-35 years.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #82
Ksyrup

Not that you expect a 58-year old to DIE, but there are number of things that could kill a 58-year old. I mean, I'll be 50 this year and I have been talking about my imminent death for the last decade-plus.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #83
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
He was never signing with the Mets. He used them to get more money from LA. I would never wish injury on a player but I hope he has a terrible year

He sucked at negotiating then, because the Mets offered more.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #84
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
He sucked at negotiating then, because the Mets offered more.

He gets the opt out with LA.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #85
miami_fan
Coordinator

MLB, MLBPA agree to health protocols, 7-inning doubleheaders, runners on second in extras

Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence...three times is permanent?
Old 02-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't like any of the three "new rules": 7 inning doubleheaders, funky extra innings rules, and permanent DH. Of the three, the ones I dislike the least was the only one not implemented
SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #87
BYU 14
Coordinator

I can do without the extra innings runner, but loved universal DH and 7 inning double headers. It seems like MLB withheld the DH as punishment for the unions rejection of shorter season and expanded playoff. Typical petty bullshit, not about the game, only about proving your point.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #88
Ksyrup

I don't mind any of the rules, but that's probably because I'm so used to watching softball now.

I find opposition to the DH silly. Starting pitchers barely go 4-5 innings now, so at least half the ABs are going to position player PHers. Why not just replace them with a real starting hitter? The whole "strategy" angle has largely gone away. No one's got a major decision to make on letting a starter hit in the 6th or 7th inning. Maybe if they've got a no-hitter going. Otherwise, if the circumstances dictate, they are PH for 99.9% of the time.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #89
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't mind any of the rules, but that's probably because I'm so used to watching softball now.

I find opposition to the DH silly. Starting pitchers barely go 4-5 innings now, so at least half the ABs are going to position player PHers. Why not just replace them with a real starting hitter? The whole "strategy" angle has largely gone away. No one's got a major decision to make on letting a starter hit in the 6th or 7th inning. Maybe if they've got a no-hitter going. Otherwise, if the circumstances dictate, they are PH for 99.9% of the time.

+1000
Old 02-09-2021, 12:23 PM   #90
PilotMan
Head Coach

I miss the days of Iron Horse starters.

Like Steam?

Old 02-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #91
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, this makes sense. I used to be anti-DH. But with how pitching strategy has evolved, it makes sense now. You rarely see double switches anymore. You just see your bench being used and it is cold.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #92
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Well, your team just picked up the last Mohican. I am curious to see if they let Bauer go every 4th day and work the innings he wants to work.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #93
cuervo72
Head Coach

I did not know this was a thing.

MLB Draft League | MLB.com

At least the Keys are still around in some fashion.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #94
Ksyrup

Quote:

Whenever I play OOTP, it's usually a fictional universe with 1978-80 MLB rules so I can get guys throwing 280 innings.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #95
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

When I play Statis Pro baseball I want my starters to go as long as possible.

I love pitchers that can go the distance

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #96
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I read an interesting take on the Universal DH and it kind of flips the strategy with pulling pitchers. This person suggested using a DH until you pull your starting pitcher. Then you have to also pull the DH and let pitchers hit (or be pinch hit for) the rest of the game. That might be a way to get managers to allow starting pitchers to go further in games.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #97
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Well, your team just picked up the last Mohican. I am curious to see if they let Bauer go every 4th day and work the innings he wants to work.

Dodgers love themselves the rest for free IL and 6 man rotation.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:50 PM   #98
PilotMan
Head Coach

JT is back in Dodger Blue.

2yr/34M

Like Steam?

Old 02-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #99
miami_fan
Coordinator

Source - San Diego Padres, Fernando Tatis Jr. agree on 14-year, $340 million deal

So Cal baseball teams have all the money!

Quote:
The $340 million extension is the third-largest contract handed out in MLB history, trailing only Mike Trout's $426.5 million extension over 12 years with the Angels and Mookie Betts' $365 million extension over 12 years with the Dodgers.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #100
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wonder what kind of opt outs he has.

People probably don't see much of him. I have MLB extra innings and play DFS pretty seriously so I watch a ton of games. He is truly a special player.