Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

High School Football Thread 2012-13

While discussion may not be quite as intense as it was during Skydog's tenure at Tucker, I think we've still got enough fans of high school football to warrant a thread. Of course we've got coaches here but I'm not sure if we have any parents with kids playing yet. Not limited to those with direct involvement, if you're keeping up with your alma mater or just run across something you wanted to share then this thread seems like a good place for it.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not bashful, so I'll start with the game nearest & dearest to me.

It's "week zero" but Athens Academy travels to Glascock County to open the 2012 regular season tonight. My son & his two cohorts will have all the action as one of the longest-running student produced webcasts in the nation heads into its 12th season of coverage. Pregame starts at 715p, kickoff at 730p
Spartans Webcast

First trip there for all of us (teams have met twice in the late 90s) so not sure what we're going to find in the 4th smallest county in Georgia (pop just over 3,000). We're hoping for sufficient bandwidth to do our usual full video production but are prepared to go old-school & do audio-only if necessary. The kids love seeing web traffic from all over the country so a click during the coverage would be appreciated.
--------
How about this matchup: 2-time defending GISA Class AA champ Piedmont Academy at 2-time defending GISA Class A champ Westwood Academy, both teams riding 26 game winning streaks. Believed to be the most consecutive wins to face each other in state history but one of those streaks has to end tonight in Camilla.

This is the small (or even tiny) private school league instead of the dominant association but how often does a matchup like this happen? And how many coaches would be willing to put their streak on the line in a non-region season opener? Piedmont is where my son started school many years ago, I know players, coaches and parents who are involved in this one. Pre-season reports seem to make Westwood a pretty heavy favorite at home, graduation hit Piedmont hard after last season.
----------
The #1 HS team in the nation - Grayson - opens the season against McEachern in the Georgia Dome as part of the Corky Kell Kickoff Classic. If you wonder why they're so highly regarded, look no further than the defense Grayson could have seven FBS signees on its defense this season. What's the record? We don't know. But Grayson's seven will line up something like this - DE Robert Nkemdiche (Clemson), DE Jack Banda (Arizona), DT Zach Barnes (Tennessee), OLB Wayne Gallman (Clemson), DB David Kamara (Clemson), DB Ryan Carter (Ole Miss offer, and others) and DB Kasey Gaines (offer from Penn State). "And that doesn't include one of our best players, Jordan Germany," said Grayson coach Mickey Conn, who expresses amazement that Germany doesn't have similar offers. "He's unbelievable." Germany is the outside linebacker opposite Gallman and also plays running back.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

We open tonight against #9 Mesa Red Mountain on the road. This is the first time in 6 years Westview has not been ranked in the top 10 pre-season, so we have something to prove.

We are a young, junior laden team, so that will be part of the storyline in this one as we will be looking for leaders to emerge early. Our lone returning starter in the backfield is a good one as Senior TB Seivion Morris has a chance to become our leading all time rusher, entering his senior season with over 2500 career yards.

Key matchup will be our speed against their size.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Taking my four-year old to his first live football game tonight. The local high school (to which I have no connection other than the fact that it is five minutes from our house) is playing its first home game.

It will be his first football game ever any my first high school game since 1994. Very much looking forward to it.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I guess I ought to at least thumbnail what I'm expecting from Athens Academy this year.

On paper things looked pretty tough. We go into the spring with no experience at QB at all, only one undersized RB, were looking at starting a freshman at MLB.

Meanwhile a D1 recruit RB transferred from a 4A school to one of our newest rivals (George Walton Academy) I don't see anybody in the region who can hope to stop him, most won't even be able to slow him down. Then our crosstown rival (Prince Avenue Christian) was coming off a final four appearance led by their coach's son who was region PotY last season ... except that LB/RB and two other starters withdrew from school after "violation of rules" (widely known to be drug related, it was withdraw or be expelled) and set them back considerably although they still return a lot of experience. Add in a rebuilding traditional powerhouse (Commerce) and the enigma of the dirtiest recruiting program in the state (Athens Christian) and it looked like a 5 team race for the post-season.

Confusing things further is the brand new public/private split that only applies to the playoffs. Instead of top 4 region finishers going into a 32 team playoff bracket, now it's region winners only guaranteed, with a "power rating" system to determine the at-large berths in each of the separate 16 team fields.

As so-so as our season looked in the summer, it might be at least a little brighter after watching the scrimmage against a bad but larger school last week. Just days before camp opened we got a big addition, a lightning fast basketball star whose parents are decidedly not thrilled with him risking his future playing football. He caught 2 TD's in the scrimmage, simple routes where he just outran everybody. With our all-state kicker (with remarkable speed) starting at the other WR, suddenly we become a team that looks a little dangerous offensively ... IF a thin OL holds up and IF the starting QB can learn on the job very quickly.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
rjolley
College Starter

Jon, would that basketball player be E Williams?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Poli
FOFC Survivor

De Soto (MO) hosts Pacific. I'll be filming for De Soto for my fourth year now, with a few gamedays off here and there.

De Soto's best player is/was supposed to be at SEMO now. Our QB is a decent athlete but unless something's changed for us I expect it to be a long year for the Dragons.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Jon, would that basketball player be E Williams?

It is indeed ... and it almost worries me that you knew that

I watched Eric do things on a football field in 8th grade that were just shocking. (I think I may have recounted those in some thread or another at the time). He was at such a different level than the 7th-8th grade competition that he literally ended up being told not to score, resorting to running the width of the field one evening once he got to the 20 or so.

Last year was a lost season for him, a football novice with reluctant parents, he sat out until just after camp & then (with considerable conversation amongst players & coaches) was allowed to join the team. He never really caught up from being out of the loop for so long.

This year there was apparently more communication & a plan, and he looks like a different guy vs last year. Still green as hell, but at this level speed like his isn't easy to find ... or match.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
rjolley
College Starter

LOL I know him because he plays on the AAU team I coach. I knew he played football and was very good, but didn't know he'd decided to play in high school.

Hope he does well and stays healthy. The kid has a lot of potential in basketball and is a very good athlete overall. Just needs more confidence.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL I know him because he plays on the AAU team I coach. I knew he played football and was very good, but didn't know he'd decided to play in high school.

Hope he does well and stays healthy. The kid has a lot of potential in basketball and is a very good athlete overall. Just needs more confidence.

OMG, so you're the guy that I've been cussing all summer "if it wasn't for that $#%@$% AAU team he'd have been here getting ready ..."

The most interesting thing here is your comment about him needing more confidence. While he isn't the cockiest player to ever pass through these parts by any means, maybe the biggest problem I've seen with him on the hardwood is keeping him playing within himself and nothing that really hinted at a lack of confidence.

Dang it's a small world.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
rjolley
College Starter

Yeah, I think it's the cast of players on the team that causes me to say that more than him. And the confidence issues weren't there this year as much. We as coaches just see what he can do when he's confident and wish we could see that all of the time.

And yes, we're the one's keeping him from being at summer camp. Any kids that can score like he did as a freshman on varsity needs to get some exposure on the court over the summer.

I'm going to try to catch one of his football games this year. I'm definitely going to make a couple of the basketball games as well. Have a few other players who are playing football that I need to see as well.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-24-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm going to try to catch one of his football games this year. I'm definitely going to make a couple of the basketball games as well. Have a few other players who are playing football that I need to see as well.

Check out the webcast tonight for a bit of a preview. If things go as they should (against one of the historically worst football programs in the state) then he might just find himself with an opportunity to show out considerably

We aren't likely to do much that isn't pretty vanilla but that might be all it takes if the talent gap is as big as I suspect it will be.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

41-7 Athens Academy win over poor Glascock County. More stressful for the webcast crew (and me in particular) than for our players & coaches. But that's not really a HS football issue.

Game story is here
http://onlineathens.com/sports/prep/...-season-opener

Highlights: new QB abused fair weak team, threw for two TD's (both to our big TE who rumbled for great YAC) and ran for two more.
Lowlights: four fumbles, three of which we lost

Best moment at a game in a long while: Turned out to be the last play of the game, freshman 3rd string QB in just to take the snap run into the line & get tackled. Somebody didn't quite clue the defense into the plan, kid bounced off one guy, then another & another and found himself outside & alone. 74 yards to the end zone. Why does that make me so happy? That's my son's best friend & a genuine good kid. 1 varsity play, 74 yards rushing & 1 TD. Heck of a box score for your debut

One other note, despite what you might expect, there isn't an ounce of quit in those kids from Glascock. Lot of character from a short roster than has such a poor football history that losing by 34 is somewhat of a moral victory. The were still bringing it as hard as they could on that last play as they did on the kickoff, something that I honestly have a hard time comprehending.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

De Soto wins over Pacific, 26-13. Pretty ugly game for both teams.

De Soto took the ball on the opening drive and probably surprised everyone with a no-huddle, wing-T look. During pregame I was a little surprised to find I out I was 'snapping' under center rather than from shotgun. Then we broke out the option series and I went from little surprised to very.

Coach Thompson's is starting his 6th season at De Soto. The first year, he ran a very simple near/far offense and just tried to kill the clock. They had 1 victory on the season. The next season, the offense was changed to a spread veer. The team won 8 games. I came onboard after that...I believe we have won 19 games over the past three years running essentially the same stuff.

We score on the first drive and miss the extra point. 6-0. Pacific, led by former NFLer George Hinkle (his son being a DE and OT on the team) answered on the next drive and hit the XP. 7-6. De Soto's next score would come from a PICK 6 by the De Soto quarterback/corner. The 2 point conversion would be no good. That would be the score at the half.

De Soto would aid in Pacific's efforts with a fumble and then a miscue in the secondary. The result was a touchdown pass that put the Pacific Indians up 13-12. The extra point clanged off the left upright.

The Dragons would march down the field to close out much of the 3rd quarter. A surprise deep ball to the endzone resulted in a very smart pass interference play. The defensive back ran right into the waiting arms of the receiver in the endzone rather than try and turn to find the ball. A 15 yard penalty is better than risking giving up the score, in my opinion anyhow.

It paid off as the Dragons turned the ball over on downs at the Indian 5 just before the 4th quarter started.

It looked like the Indians could potentially seal this game off as they moved the ball slowly up field, but the soph QB fumbled the ball away at the Indian 35. A few wing-t plays later, the Dragons pulled out a trick play and threw a halfback pass to the endzone. The pass floated allowing the defense to react. The end caught the pass, but was quickly knocked down and the ball bounced away. The referees discussed it briefly and then ruled it a touchdown. Considering it was the winning score, it was a critical call by the referees, and I'm not sure it was the right one. I wish I was in the film room now to see it (instead I came home for baby duty). The 2 point conversion was good. 20-13, De Soto.

The Indians moved the ball well but stalled around the Trojan 40. With a 3rd and 15, the Indians were called for holding on an incomplete pass. Instead of declining the penalty, the Dragons chose to take the 3rd and 25. I personally didn't like that decision. They're down a score with 9 minutes to go. They're likely going to punt and try to stop you on offense. Even if they don't I like my chances of them not gaining 15 yards on one play.

The Indians come out with an empty formation, the first time they showed it all game. I expected a time out to be called, but it didn't happen. Just as I expected, the coverage was broken as a result. They didn't get all 25...just 20.

Ball on the 30, 5 yards to go...Hinkle elects to pooch punt. I have to assume he regrets that decision now. It was honestly a great pooch punt. It died at the 5 yard line. 8:30 to go. De Soto took 8:26 to score the final touchdown, running the ball the entire drive. 26-13.

Normally, Coach Thompson doesn't try to score that last touchdown and takes a knee to end the game. I've seen him do that at least three times in my time there. I think there may have been some payback from last season in that.

Last season, Coach Thompson put in the 2nd string while up 39-14. Turning the ball over on downs deep in Pacific's territory, Coach Hinkle kept his starters in and everyone ran fly routes. They connected to score just before the end of the game.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The #1 HS team in the nation - Grayson - opens the season against McEachern in the Georgia Dome as part of the Corky Kell Kickoff Classic. If you wonder why they're so highly regarded, look no further than the defense Grayson could have seven FBS signees on its defense this season. What's the record? We don't know. But Grayson's seven will line up something like this - DE Robert Nkemdiche (Clemson), DE Jack Banda (Arizona), DT Zach Barnes (Tennessee), OLB Wayne Gallman (Clemson), DB David Kamara (Clemson), DB Ryan Carter (Ole Miss offer, and others) and DB Kasey Gaines (offer from Penn State). "And that doesn't include one of our best players, Jordan Germany," said Grayson coach Mickey Conn, who expresses amazement that Germany doesn't have similar offers. "He's unbelievable." Germany is the outside linebacker opposite Gallman and also plays running back.
We're heading to the Dome to watch the game this morning...I know Grayson is all this and all that, but don't count out McEachern. I've watched the boys in the junior class play ball since they were little guys (my daughter is a junior cheerleader for McEachern) and have never seen a more talented bunch of kids...IIRC, that age group was undefeated all the way from pee wee football all through JV. The QB, Ty (Tee) Clemons, is phenominal, but for his first varsity start to be against the #1 high school defense in the nation...in the freaking Georgia Dome...is probably going to be a bit overwhelming for him. If Tee can keep his head on straight, they have chance...if not, it may be a long day for the Indians.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Webb City (MO) extends their state record regular season winning streak to 82 games with a 44 - 3 win over Carl Junction. It is also the 31st win in a row for the back-to-back state champions.

And Joplin (MO) gets off to a great start by beating Glendale 50 - 7. Joplin lost to Glendale 55- 37 last season, will be interesting to see if Joplin has improved that much or if Glendale is just that bad.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Next Friday, ESD plays its first game of the season under a new head coach, (my brother) and it's offensive coach (me) and it's new ball boy and tee holder (my 6 year old son). It will be a fun family affair. If we win. If not, the wives and grandmothers, and moms will be in our ear.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Tough start for us and the area of concern, a very young and inexperienced secondary (Lost all 4 starters from last season) was our downfall. We led Red Mountain 26-20 halfway through the 3rd and then gave up 26 unanswered to lose 46-26 to a legit top 10 team. There will be plenty of good to take from this and our secondary has a whole season to improve and be tested for the playoffs. We will be top 10 by seasons end I have no doubt.

The bad though. The opposing QB threw 5 TD strikes and 3 came over the top in third and long situations.
80 yard strike on 3rd and 13
79 yard strike on 3rd and 23 (UGH)
48 yd strike on 3rd and 12

Plays like that just take your soul after you have put a team in a whole. Our run defense was solid, they had negative yards at the half and finished the game with around 35, but that goes out the window when you are riddled for nearly 500 yards through the air
Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Taking my four-year old to his first live football game tonight. The local high school (to which I have no connection other than the fact that it is five minutes from our house) is playing its first home game.

It will be his first football game ever any my first high school game since 1994. Very much looking forward to it.
Our 3-year-old accompanied us to a couple of Charleston Southern games when she was 6ish months old, but hasn't been to a game since. I was just thinking last night that I'll be taking her to see the Hanahan Hawks at least once this fall. She loves watching football on TV with Daddy. I checked the schedule and they were out of town last night, but I'll no doubt take her to a game in the next few weeks. I randomly popped in on a high school basketball game with her last winter and she absolutely loved the crowd, cheerleaders, etc., so I'd expect a similar reaction. (By randomly, I mean that we were in the car heading home from somewhere else, and I saw all the cars and said, "Hmmm...she might like this.")

Hanahan has gone through, for them, a down cycle after moving up to Class AAA a few seasons ago. They had a streak of 8ish straight Region Titles before the move. The population of our little municipality grew by more than 40% from 2000 to 2010, the growth mostly fueled by the huge new development in which I live. My general observation about the development as a whole is that the population of high school kids who grew up playing football is probably relatively low, so basically my guess is that the school has added numbers, forcing them to play at a higher level, but without really adding much talent. The development is very large, and is heavily populated by parents of younger kids. There's simply no way the school will support the population as these kids grow up. If we're living in this house 11 years from now when Carter is a freshman, I expect she will be attending a high school that doesn't exist today (unless she goes to private school.) So for now, we will be Hanahan fans, but we're not donating to the QB Club of the likely eventual enemy.

The Hawks play rival Bishop England at home this Friday night. BE is a private Catholic School that's fairly nearby. Heading toward the beach, it's the closest high school to Hanahan, and it may be the closest one period. The Bishops are still AA, so this is no longer a Region game. The wife and kid are heading to the in-laws' on Thursday for a long Labor Day Weekend and it's a busy time at work, so I need to stay here. Serendipitously, they're trying to start YoungLife at Hanahan with a very young leadership team, so the local director has called on the wise old retired vet to take the college kids to dinner before a game, impart some wisdom, and show 'em how to meet kids in the stands at a high school football game without coming off like a stalker. Should be fun.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-26-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Our QB was named local Prep Player of the Week. And, somewhat incredibly, we're actually getting talked up by the Atlanta media as a possible top ten team. Umm ... I think they ought to remind themselves who we played.

http://onlineathens.com/sports/prep/...n-opening-rout
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Texas school to open $60M football field of dreams - Yahoo! News

Wow- just wow. And, as one commenter said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comments
"About 63 percent of voters supported a $119 million bond package in 2009..."

Can't even yell at misdirected government for this one.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-30-2012 at 03:01 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

Our home opener has the game time switched from 7 pm to 5:30 pm due to Isaac rolling through. They want to get it in before the heavy rain hits.

Im outside of St Louis, by the way.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Southwest Atlanta Christian (one of the state's smallest private schools fielding a football team) has forfeited tomorrow's game against North Cobb Christian, a pair of teams that went 1-9 last year. The story began as something about SWAC having sent out their pads & helmets to be reconditioned but they haven't come back yet. The growing rumor seems to be that they're down to 14 players and are planning to forfeit the entire season.

Why is this notable? Our NBA fans here may recognize the name Dwight Howard ... his dad Dwight Sr. is the AD at SWAC.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

hell 14 is enough to field a team, my Junior year in HS we lost in the SC state 3A championship game with 13 players on the roster.

BTW really looking forward to watching Grayson v Miami Central game tomorrow night. Me and about 50 friends who are going to party in ATL on Saturday are dropping in on the way down...a total of 5 Clemson committs will be on the field between the two teams and we are going to show the Orange as best we can.

No hundred dolla hand shakes tho
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
hell 14 is enough to field a team

Field one yes.
Field a competitive one at this particular school? Not really.

In four seasons of football they're posted a 4-36 record. Only 6 of their last 20 games have been decided by less than two touchdowns. It borders on being a counterproductive use of resources for them, they look pretty clueless on the field (we played them last yr & yr before as the season opener).
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #27
BYU 14
Coordinator

Our varsity had such a lopsided game tonight it was not even fun. Tolleson used to be our big rival, but they have fallen on hard times. We ran a total of 14 plays in the first half and led 48-3 at Halftime. Final was 61-3 with the backups playing from the end of the second quarter on. Not much to say after a game like that, we just totally outclassed them.

And on top of that, next week we play Maryvale, who Tolleson beat 27-13 in their opener....It will be another short night for the starters.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #28
Senator

My brother won his first high school head coaching game tonight 42-17. I helped.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTG BYU 14
WTG Senator (and Senator's bro)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #30
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This thread is awesome. Love to hear reports about the upcoming games and of course, the results.

Senator, what's ESD stand for? What city, state? Congrats to your brother!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
fpres
High School JV

Allen pretty much dominated Southlake Carroll (the defending Texas 5A Div I state champ), 24-0, last night. Great way to open their new stadium.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
This thread is awesome. Love to hear reports about the upcoming games and of course, the results.

Senator, what's ESD stand for? What city, state? Congrats to your brother!

Dallas, Texas.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #33
cougarfreak
College Starter

The school I teach at has a pretty big time prospect at QB. He's a jr., name is Drew Barker. He made some Nike elite 11 list (I'm ignorant of football "lists" and such), and has picked up some pretty big time offers from the likes of South Carolina, Cincinnati, Illinois, Purdue, Louisville, and WKU. A lot of big time schools are showing interest as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
The school I teach at has a pretty big time prospect at QB. He's a jr., name is Drew Barker. He made some Nike elite 11 list (I'm ignorant of football "lists" and such), and has picked up some pretty big time offers from the likes of South Carolina, Cincinnati, Illinois, Purdue, Louisville, and WKU. A lot of big time schools are showing interest as well.

He'll be tired on Monday, err Tuesday.

From espn.com Insider ...
There will be a big 2014 quarterback taking in the Ohio State game on Saturday as Drew Barker (Hebron, Ky./Conner) will watch the Buckeyes play Miami (Ohio) on an unofficial visit.

He will then travel to Louisville on Sunday to watch the Cardinals play Kentucky.

Barker camped at Ohio State’s Friday Night Lights on July 27 and walked away very impressed as did Ohio State coaches.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-01-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #35
cougarfreak
College Starter

Yeah, OSU is supposed to be very interested as well, but haven't made an offer.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
cougarfreak
College Starter

Our team the last few years has really ramped up the offense, but our D leaves a lot to be desired. We won 67-21 this past week against a team that won state in AA last year, but is a bit down this year. Just for comparison's sake, we are 5A. Our school has about 1250 students.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just for comparison's sake, we are 5A. Our school has about 1250 students.

Is that your 9-12 enrollment? I ask because 1250 is about the middle of Georgia's 5A (of 6 classes) ... but that only includes grades 9-11, so actually is around 20% higher give or take.

Just trying to figure out what size you'd be here. Guessing around 1,000 9-11 which would be about the middle of 4A.

Always interesting to see how things differ from state to state.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Is that your 9-12 enrollment? I ask because 1250 is about the middle of Georgia's 5A (of 6 classes) ... but that only includes grades 9-11, so actually is around 20% higher give or take.

Just trying to figure out what size you'd be here. Guessing around 1,000 9-11 which would be about the middle of 4A.

Yeah, that's total 9-12 enrollment. KY has 6 classes. We were in 6A, but a few years ago, they opened a new HS in our county (the 4th), and we went down to about 1050. 4 years later, we are back up to 1250. In our county, there are 2 schools in 6a, and 2 schools in 5a. I would imagine we are real close to going 6a again when they realign. In 5a, we've got a legit shot at a state title. In 6a, we've got no shot, with Louisville Trinity in the state. Our school has won one state title in our history, in 1983. School has been open since 1970.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

So, in GA, they don't count the Srs.? That is weird to me. In our state, if you are all boys, or all girls, they double your enrollment to figure out your respective class.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, in GA, they don't count the Srs.? That is weird to me. In our state, if you are all boys, or all girls, they double your enrollment to figure out your respective class.

Nope, haven't counted them in years (if ever, although I think they used to).

It's based on enrollment numbers from the DOE delivered around mid-year last year (i.e. we just realigned for 2012-13 and 2013-14, based on figures from Fall 2011) and those seniors won't be around, so they aren't counted.

And the 5 single gender HS (2 male military, 1 male, 2 female) are subject to a 2x multiplier.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the random file of good quotes, this one from Whitefield Academy (Region 5-A) head coach after losing the season opener to their nearby rival

Quote:
“I don’t care if it’s preseason, out of season, hunting season,” Fields said. “Losing is awful. I’m not going to sit here and say you learn from a loss. What we’d better learn is how much we hate losing. It’s unacceptable.”
The Marietta Daily Journal - Whitefield makes too many mistakes to overcome Pace

For some context, he's speaking after penalties shut down their triple option that looked good to open the game & then fell apart. They've had back to back losing seasons after 9 straight playoff appearances so he's got a little reason to be tense.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-02-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #42
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Grayson has an amazing defense...and a bland wing-t rocket/loop sweep inside ho hum high school offense.

At least from what I saw Friday night.
I was really, really surprised at their offense. It was generic, a tad sloppy at times, but damn effective.

Now defensively....thats another story. The fictitious water boy would never crack the field for that team. Swarming defense would be an insult to the other 8 guys that piled on top of the 3 making every tackle....and when Miami did try to pass..I swear Grayson had 17 defenders on the field with every wr double covered and the QB gettign hit by 5 guys before he released the ball...it was quote entertaining.

ANd the Germany kid for Grayson who has no D1 offers....needs some. Now. I hope Paul Johnson doesnt see him because he is exactly the type of kid GT will sign who will give Clemson fits for 5 years.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #43
Senator

They interviewed the team we beat last week, and the coach had a typical coach speak moment,

"Unfortunately, the scoring would end then, as the team was shutout the rest of the game in the 42-17 loss."

"Everybody's still working on what they'll be doing once conference games hit," Gaffney said. "We're going to check the game tape early tomorrow, but I don't think we were beaten tonight. I think we lost."

Funny in a 42-17 beating/loss.

Speaking of loss, our Mr. Glass all world receiver is out this week. He had 2 tds last week. Bad for us, but adapt or die.

Last edited by Senator : 09-04-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #44
Ben E Lou

I confess that I don't follow my alma mater as closely as I used to, particularly since moving out of state. It was easy to pop down to Columbus to catch a game on Tucker's off weeks, or if Tucker played on Friday and Brookstone Saturday (or vice versa.) But now that I haven't seen them play in person in 6 years, it's mainly a case of out of sight, out of mind. There is a live stream of games, so if I'm home on a Friday night, I'll catch that sometimes.

That said, an email I just received from a classmate who still lives in Columbus made me burst with pride. Little Class A Brookstone played our first game ever against AAAA Columbus High School this Friday night and won 35-8.

High school football weekly wrap: Brookstone takes 1st meeting with Columbus team | Valley Preps Blog | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Granted, based on their average of 2 wins per season over the last 5 years, it doesn't appear that we spanked a world-beating squad, but the fact remains that Columbus very likely has more kids in its Senior Class than Brookstone has in the entire High School (usually in the 250-280 range.) Go Cougs!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
That said, an email I just received from a classmate who still lives in Columbus made me burst with pride. Little Class A Brookstone played our first game ever against AAAA Columbus High School this Friday night and won 35-8.

Well crap, I almost msgd you when I saw the score Friday night but figured you'd knew even before I did.

There was a pretty good article in the Ledger or somewhere in the run up to the game about how the (now former) AD who scheduled the game talked about it just making sense because the two schools were actually pretty similar demographically (which I didn't realize).
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Well crap, I almost msgd you when I saw the score Friday night but figured you'd knew even before I did.

There was a pretty good article in the Ledger or somewhere in the run up to the game about how the (now former) AD who scheduled the game talked about it just making sense because the two schools were actually pretty similar demographically (which I didn't realize).
Hmmm...unless they've done some really funky redistricting of Columbus schools, I don't see how that could be the case. Columbus High is physically located maybe a half mile or so from the Columbus Country Club, so I'm sure you can imagine the demographic in the school's immediate vicinity. However, some high-profile black athletes have gone there, most famous amongst 'em being The Big Hurt. There are quite a few working-class black neighborhoods within 3ish miles of the school, in pretty much every direction, and a few very poor black and white neighborhoods as well that range. You'd have to be trying pretty hard to make it look like a private school in order to set the districts in a way to have Brookstone and Columbus have similar demographics, I would think. Although the other factor the former AD may be referring to could be just pure racial percentages. Since the mid-80s, BHS has been unapologetic and aggressive about attempting to raid the public school system for its best black students and student-athlete types, and of course over time more black people of financial means have emerged who might just send their kids there anyway. Judging from the prom pictures of their kids and kids' friends that some friends have posted on FB, the school appears to have a significantly larger black population than it did when I was there. However, with tuition approaching $15K per year, I'm guessing that they're not getting the same black demographic that traditionally goes to CHS.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmmm...unless they've done some really funky redistricting of Columbus schools, I don't see how that could be the case. Columbus High is physically located maybe a half mile or so from the Columbus Country Club, so I'm sure you can imagine the demographic in the school's immediate vicinity.

I went back & found the quote, appears I may have used some mental shorthand there. It was the Columbus coach, and he didn't say demographically, he said
Quote:
"We're similar schools from an academic perspective and we have the same kinds of kids

The comment from former Brookstone coach Mark Harrison was
Quote:
Harrison said. "I do know that both schools are good academically, have a good reputation and the only difference between the two is their size.

Here's the whole article, fwiw
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #48
Ben E Lou

OK, this is freakin' hilarious:
Quote:
"When it comes to scheduling, most people try to stay away from the week of Carver-Spencer," Marino said. "But we didn't think we'd lose much of our crowd to that game.
To understand the context there, Carver and Spencer are the only remaining segregation-era black schools in Columbus. (My mother graduated from Spencer in 1944ish.) Black people from her age (84) on down still go to Carver-Spencer every year as a "reunion" of sorts. Reading between the lines of that article and in the comments, perhaps there has been some change to the districts after all. Basically he's saying "white people ain't going to Carver-Spencer anyway, and Brookstone-Columbus ain't drawin' too many bruthas no matter when we play, so who cares about going up against that game????"

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-04-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, this is freakin' hilarious

Having been to some Carver games when I was doing pbp for Griffin, I totally got that & chuckled pretty good myself
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So tonight it's Athens Academy (1-0) hosting Pace Academy (1-0). In week one we beat a really bad team a lot worse than they beat a typically decent team, not sure if that tells anybody anything about tonight. First football meeting ever between the two schools, prompted (I suspect) by the impending retirement of our headmaster after 30 years at AA. The first 20 years of his career were spent at Pace, his children graduated from their, etc. and the bonds have remained strong between him & his old employer. This game seems to be as much a nod to that relationship as anything.

Webcast as usual, pre-game starts at 715p, kick-off at 730p. Watch live at
Spartans Webcast

Elsewhere ...

More than a dozen games webcast tonight at GHSA Network Video Portal
including Thomas Co Central at Marist, Tucker at North Atlanta, Gainesville at Buford and in what could be a good smallest classification game Clinch County at Eagles Landing Christian.

Not online that I know of but notable tonight are a couple of class A playoff caliber matchups, George Walton vs Aquinas and defending state champ Savannah Christian at Prince Avenue. A fair bit of the face of the private school bracket will take shape after those games are done.