Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #151
Lonnie
High School Varsity

60 second tip on offramps

Cities: Skylines Tips #3 ► How To Improve Your Off Ramps! ◀ 60 Second Tip - YouTube
Old 03-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #152
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My town was having major traffic issues coming off the interstate. All the cars were backing up. Can someone screenshot me a city that won't have these issues. I suspect I need more roads heading into town?

Bulldoze the interstate - that will fix those backups.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #153
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So many fires. Is everyone smoking in bed. How is it that one police outpost gets you a 4% in crime but one fire station is like 35%
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola

Was this game paid for by the firemen lobby?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #155
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Some people are just programmed to watch the world burn.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #156
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
So many fires. Is everyone smoking in bed. How is it that one police outpost gets you a 4% in crime but one fire station is like 35%

Build lots of fire stations - they help to level up your buildings and reduce the fire threat. At first I was like - well a couple is fine and my fire threat isn't too bad. But once I realized they reduced the threat and counted as services to make people happy and buildings to level up I slapped them all over the place - think my fire threat is like 9% now.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #157
stevew
Hall Of Famer

my two biggest expenses are trash and fire. I keep building fire stations every chance I get. I'm still at about 15%. It's annoying as hell at this point. I enjoy the game, but between the fires, dicks bitching about trash and bus lines that never connect, I just dont know. Stuff that should just work doesn't. It's annoying.

Last edited by stevew : 03-26-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #158
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I gotta find a video on zones. No idea how they work. Also my mouse may be a huge part of the problem. It's buggy with double clicks.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #159
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
my two biggest expenses are trash and fire. I keep building fire stations every chance I get. I'm still at about 15%. It's annoying as hell at this point. I enjoy the game, but between the fires, dicks bitching about trash and bus lines that never connect, I just dont know. Stuff that should just work doesn't. It's annoying.

Yeah trash is the one thing people still gripe about - I think it's related more to the availability of garbage trucks, which I'm not 100% sure on how to manage. Right now I'm focusing on building a lot of incinerators to eventually not need any landfills - but moving landfill trash out to be burned takes up a lot of trucks.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #160
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Haven't had a lot of issues with fires. That said, I've always made sure I've had coverage and I haven't run into issues. Think I've had a single building burn down.

Trash pickup and dead pickup have been issues. I started with landfills, moved to incinerators and emptied/plowed my landfills.

Crime has been way to easy, they need to up that ten fold. I'm going to try playing on a harder difficulty.

Public transit could use a work over has well, hard to really plan anything out properly or rework things once they've been done. My public transit is a huge part of my city, but I'm sure it's horribly inefficient. And I still haven't figured out why a couple metro lines and a train line are showing as discconected, I finished both routes and both are picking up passengers. But that disconnected icon and occasional message won't go away.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-26-2015 at 08:35 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #161
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

trash is manageable for me as long as I have more incinerators than garbage produced and I have no traffic jams.

If either of those are not true, than I start having problems with it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #162
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ultimately problem I have with trash is getting good coverage without placing them in a location that pollutes areas I don't want to pollute. I may just be overly sensitive to pollution and need to back off.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #163
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
trash is manageable for me as long as I have more incinerators than garbage produced and I have no traffic jams.

If either of those are not true, than I start having problems with it.

Yeah think this is my issue - I started putting most of my incinerators in a dead-end road off my industrial district, which is great to limit pollution but that area is very congested and so think traffic is the problem. So I started building some in a new area - will see if that helps.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #164
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I just put all of my incinerators in their own spot with great access to the highway, and they cover my entire town (all 5 squares) without problems (as long as I don't have traffic issues).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dunno whether to demo a lot of my city and redo the highways supersized(like a regional loop) or to just start over and be smarter. Also at some point I just build 4 lane roads via default cause they can be easily upgraded to 6 lanes.

Probably starting over cause demo is obnoxious.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #166
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have a question. It seems a no-brainer that this game needs scenarios and events. I am not familiar with Paradox games, have they or could they come out with a update? dlc? mod capabilities? that would add scenarios and/or events to the game? The fundamentals are there and very solid, I was just wondering if we can hope it can be expanded?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #167
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I have a question. It seems a no-brainer that this game needs scenarios and events. I am not familiar with Paradox games, have they or could they come out with a update? dlc? mod capabilities? that would add scenarios and/or events to the game? The fundamentals are there and very solid, I was just wondering if we can hope it can be expanded?

Crusader Kings 2 alone has 9 expansions and 52 dlc items.

I think you can assume that paradox isn't the least bit squeamish about dlc.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Something weird happened last night. My city suddenly turned into Detroit after I got above 80K. I don't know what exactly I did, perhaps I demoed too much industry at once. Was insane.

If they ever fix fires and trash I might start again. Right now it doesn't help you enough to understand why the F neither are working.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #169
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Crusader Kings 2 alone has 9 expansions and 52 dlc items.

I think you can assume that paradox isn't the least bit squeamish about dlc.

Thank you.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Haven't had a lot of issues with fires. That said, I've always made sure I've had coverage and I haven't run into issues. Think I've had a single building burn down.

Trash pickup and dead pickup have been issues. I started with landfills, moved to incinerators and emptied/plowed my landfills.

Crime has been way to easy, they need to up that ten fold. I'm going to try playing on a harder difficulty.

Public transit could use a work over has well, hard to really plan anything out properly or rework things once they've been done. My public transit is a huge part of my city, but I'm sure it's horribly inefficient. And I still haven't figured out why a couple metro lines and a train line are showing as discconected, I finished both routes and both are picking up passengers. But that disconnected icon and occasional message won't go away.

I built a successful bus line finally. Just gotta take it back to a station.

Zones work good once you switch to the bigger paint tool.

Not being able to build train tracks is kinda dumb. Gotta build a station first. I'm figuring out a lot but trash and dead bodies is still a nightmare
Old 03-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #171
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am having fun with the game. The key with this first iteration, I think, is to keep pushing the limits and the milestones. It's easy to be content with a small city that has no issues but if you keep expanding and increasing population, then you will run into issues and have to re-do/re-think some things.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #172
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am having fun with the game. The key with this first iteration, I think, is to keep pushing the limits and the milestones. It's easy to be content with a small city that has no issues but if you keep expanding and increasing population, then you will run into issues and have to re-do/re-think some things.

I get that, but I think my problem is I started to get bored pretty fast when things were running well, and haven't had the patience yet to continue building up to a huge city. Plus Pillars of Eternity came out.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I accidentally clipped a power line. Before I knew it I was in the red, had no idea why everyone left in a matter of minutes. Had no money so I couldn't fix grid. RIP city.

Also roads demo way too easy.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #174
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Why people all of sudden start leaving remains a mystery to me. With everything in the good, I guess it may be due to an aging population?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #175
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

May have something to do with the education level of your residents and the education needs of your industry. Do you have a lot of businesses that need workers?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #176
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Soo...is there a cheat code or mod that makes it so I don't have to lay pipes or whatever like in old SimCity?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #177
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Anyone know of a sale price on this, yet?
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #178
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think I found an alternative to keep playing while waiting for an expansion pack. I found a good mountain coastal map that only has 37% developable land. This is a welcomed change from the boring, monotonous terrain of large flat areas. In this mountain map, almost no roads can be straight and each has to be well planned/spaced. There are some zones that can be placed on hills if I can figure a way to get a road up a ravine. Also, most of the highway is elevated, adding to the challenge of additional connections.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got up to about 135K population before I just decided to quit. Hopefully things like traffic(AI is silly) and sewage(monotonous) will eventually get fixed.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #180
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I figured out a good way to keep industrial traffic from mucking up traffic when it ignores the highway to drive across surface streets to the other side of town. If I set up a narrow district next to the industrial area that covers the access points to the cross town surface streets, then enact a heavy traffic ban, it pushes the transports onto the highways.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #181
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I simply use a cross street off of the interchange where all of my industrial zones are. Commercial and residential go straight (with ban), industrial goes left. Never thought to put industrial on the opposite end of town from the interchange. Is this a function of having a large city and forced to do so?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #182
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I simply use a cross street off of the interchange where all of my industrial zones are. Commercial and residential go straight (with ban), industrial goes left. Never thought to put industrial on the opposite end of town from the interchange. Is this a function of having a large city and forced to do so?

Yeah, when I started up I had my industry over in the east because to the west I had a lot of water and I thought that would be nicer for people. Then I realized that most of my resources were in the expansion tiles way over to the west where the interstate loops around. So once I expanded over there I found that most of the transport trucks were trying to shortcut across town to my original industrial sectors.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #183
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...nes-sales.aspx

Now the game just needs some chili
Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #184
frnk55
High School Varsity

I'm about ready to throw my pc out the window. I cannot hook up my water drain pipe. Why is this so fucking hard!!!!!!!!
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #185
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just move it around till it snaps. Even if you miss, you can connect the gap.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #186
frnk55
High School Varsity

Finally got it but good God what a bitch it was.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #187
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Cities: Skylines Patch Adds Tunnels, May Disable Some Mods
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #188
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Anybody try out the new patch yet?
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #189
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I haven't fired it back up in a while but I was wondering how one could tell if a mod has been disabled?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #190
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Details on that patch?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #191
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have played around with the patch and like the tunnel features. I have not tried a "european map" to see the new buildings. In my experience most of the basic mods (25 tiles, first person camera, etc) work with the patch. A few like the road color mods do not work according to the paradox forum but the makers will probably update them soon to make them work.

Seems like a good patch overall to me but I may be easier to please than most.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #192
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm still playing it, and these days I have hundreds of mods from Steam.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #193
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm currently running a city in Harper's Ferry, WV. I had one in Point Pleasant, WV for a bit, but I wanted the more famous Ferry. I'm turning the point into a major tourist mecca and then I'm exploiting the ore and oil resources inland.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #194
bhlloy
Coordinator

This thread gives me the major... "this sounds awesome, why didn't I play this more"... play for 30 mins.... "oh yeah, that's why" cycle every few months or so

Last edited by bhlloy : 05-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #195
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Great game, really enjoyed it. But yeah, it needed more challenges, anything to change it up every once in awhile. I'm no SimCity master, but I still didn't find it at all challenging(though still very fun). Crime in particular seemed to be so lax it felt broken.

Hopefully it's the foundation for more to come.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-26-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #196
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This thread gives me the major... "this sounds awesome, why didn't I play this more"... play for 30 mins.... "oh yeah, that's why" cycle every few months or so

About the same here - except that I thought about it for 30 minutes before I remembered. It was fun building on a hard custom map, but there was nothing I could reasonably do that would cause any problems or decisions that would have any negative consequences.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 05-26-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, traffic was probably the one big problem I had, but at the same time it never really stopped me from making money or growing my city. I think it's a great foundation for them, just needs a but more complexity to make it feel like a game rather than a sandbox.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #198
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Sandbox nature of it was the best part for me and the modding community is really good too. But you just have to like sandboxing and want to invest lots of time in it to really make it work for you.

I put my photo diary in the dynasty forum, some pretty good stuff.

Cities Skylines Photo Diary - Front Office Football Central

It's a lot of fun especially if you like that sort of game, but it's super immersive. Some flaws, but overall the city simulator of one's dreams.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #199
frnk55
High School Varsity

Best game I've played in years. Love it.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #200
AnalBumCover
College Starter

66% off on Steam right now. $10.19
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote