Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The official Zombie Apocalypse Thread

I suggest you read the Zombie Survival Guide if you haven't already.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have read it. I'm in.

I have been planning, on and off, for a Zombie Apocalypse since college. I use the term "planning" loosely, since I really haven't prepared anything, but I do have some general plans.

The key part of my plan rests with the fact that one of my best friends is one of the cheif medical examiners in New York City. He is resigned to the fact that he will likely be at Ground Zero considering he typically starts his day by putting his fingers in dead people's mouths. His goal is to survive the initial attack and call me immediately. I reckon I will have quite a good headstart to pack up the car, get supplies, and start heading to my remote location (sorry, I cannot give out the details of my remote location).

That said, DeTox, since you're local and live like about a mile from my house. I will swing by and grab you. I will have space in the car. My wife has already declared she has no desire to survive a Zombie Apocalypse. Her role is to die early on, thus giving me a reason to brood and be really, really angry at the zombies. Any good Zombie Apocalypse leader broods and really, really hates zombies.

If my computer is on and I think of it, I'll be sure to post a thread here for all of you people. Why? Because that's the kind of guy I am.

Of course, if the Zombie Apocalypse comes in the form of the fast, running and jumping type zombies my plan is much simpler: 1) Buy sleeping pills and alcohol, 2) Make myself comfortable, 3) Injest sleeping pill and alcohol.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have read it. I'm in.

I have been planning, on and off, for a Zombie Apocalypse since college. I use the term "planning" loosely, since I really haven't prepared anything, but I do have some general plans.

The key part of my plan rests with the fact that one of my best friends is one of the cheif medical examiners in New York City. He is resigned to the fact that he will likely be at Ground Zero considering he typically starts his day by putting his fingers in dead people's mouths. His goal is to survive the initial attack and call me immediately. I reckon I will have quite a good headstart to pack up the car, get supplies, and start heading to my remote location (sorry, I cannot give out the details of my remote location).

That said, DeTox, since you're local and live like about a mile from my house. I will swing by and grab you. I will have space in the car. My wife has already declared she has no desire to survive a Zombie Apocalypse. Her role is to die early on, thus giving me a reason to brood and be really, really angry at the zombies. Any good Zombie Apocalypse leader broods and really, really hates zombies.

If my computer is on and I think of it, I'll be sure to post a thread here for all of you people. Why? Because that's the kind of guy I am.

Of course, if the Zombie Apocalypse comes in the form of the fast, running and jumping type zombies my plan is much simpler: 1) Buy sleeping pills and alcohol, 2) Make myself comfortable, 3) Injest sleeping pill and alcohol.

I am in.

My buddies dad was a cop, they have an ARSENAL in their house. I'd say 50 + guns and loads of ammo. A block away from 7/11.

Ammo + rations .. Hell we could BBQ and take some pics too. Make the thread lively.

Fuck I am ready.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I will have space in the car. My wife has already declared she has no desire to survive a Zombie Apocalypse. Her role is to die early on, thus giving me a reason to brood and be really, really angry at the zombies. Any good Zombie Apocalypse leader broods and really, really hates zombies.
Or maybe you can fall for a hot Zombie princess and you can bring us all together via your unity.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Only good zombie is a re-deaded zombie.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Or maybe you can fall for a hot Zombie princess and you can bring us all together via your unity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Only good zombie is a re-deaded zombie.

What the alien said.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am in.

My buddies dad was a cop, they have an ARSENAL in their house. I'd say 50 + guns and loads of ammo. A block away from 7/11.

Ammo + rations .. Hell we could BBQ and take some pics too. Make the thread lively.

Fuck I am ready.

Done.

Excellent news on the fireamrs. After we gather those, we're headed to Ann Arbor to hook up with the rest of the caravan and we're heading north. Fuck going anywhere near Chicago.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm in.

Read the manual about a year or so ago.

Have several safe houses up and down California, so I can at least get some updates for people worried about what's happening on the west coast.

The magnitude is all going to depend on the if the zombie apocalypse takes time or hits globaly all at once. I'm thinking it's going to be all at once with the proliferation of air travel from country to country and continent to continent.

Remember, they can 'survive' underwater...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

I live in a pretty isolated area with access to fresh water and a variety of wildlife (elk, rabbits, etc.). Depending on what happens, I may head north for the Jemez mountains, and live like a mountain man.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'm safe .... according to my wife I dress like a hobo anyway so chances are they'll just presume I'm one of them so long as I stay a reasonable distance away
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
timmynausea
College Starter

I read World War Z, but I haven't gotten around to the Survival Guide yet.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I haven't read the guide, but I figure I'm safe between the months of Oct - March, since no zombie could survive the temperatures here with only their tattered rags to keep them warm.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
JediKooter
Coordinator

Zombies don't need warmth. Be cautious Fidatelo, be cautious...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

There are only slow moving zombies that feed on brains. Anything else is not a zombie.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

I've played plenty of Left 4 Dead. I'm ready for a zombie apocalypse.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
SteveMax58
College Starter

I am sooo ready for a Zombie Apocalypse.

Its the reason I insist upon having a large truck or SUV. Gotta have something that smashes through the groups of staggering dead. I'll just need to grab the welding torch and put some metal bars on the windows and we're all set. Luckily I have the luggage rack to store all the extra gas just in case the gas stations are broken down or blown up from zombie shenanigans.

Oh...and I'll need to find a dog too. Cant ride around a Zombie Apocalypse without a trusty dog to take the fall for me.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 01-08-2009 at 08:01 PM.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
There are only slow moving zombies that feed on brains. Anything else is not a zombie.

What he said.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Zombies don't need warmth. Be cautious Fidatelo, be cautious...

Undead or not, those bastards would freeze solid after a few hours shambling around outside.

Unless they come with block heaters; then I'm screwed.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Zombies freeze ... We need to get to where they film Ice Road Truckers, stat.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So is Zombie Jesus good or bad?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I am sooo ready for a Zombie Apocalypse.

Its the reason I insist upon having a large truck or SUV. Gotta have something that smashes through the groups of staggering dead. I'll just need to grab the welding torch and put some metal bars on the windows and we're all set. Luckily I have the luggage rack to store all the extra gas just in case the gas stations are broken down or blown up from zombie shenanigans.

Oh...and I'll need to find a dog too. Cant ride around a Zombie Apocalypse without a trusty dog to take the fall for me.

You really need to read the guide.

Large truck or SUV are not optimal, as most roads will be full of abandoned vehicles.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #22
Anthony
Banned

Dr. Ace Winters is prepared for the Zombie Apocolypse.

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Undead or not, those bastards would freeze solid after a few hours shambling around outside.

Unless they come with block heaters; then I'm screwed.

Crap, just noticed you're in Canada. You might fare well then during the winter months.

Just be wary of lumbering people with parkas.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Love the genre and have enjoyed the undead renaissance from Hollywood and the independents.

Found this comic series in B&N about a year ago and have read through #8. Wish it was in color and some better writing but still fun to read. If you haven't already, might want to check it out ... plan for a cup of java and a couple hours to read them all.

The Walking Dead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #25
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
You really need to read the guide.

Large truck or SUV are not optimal, as most roads will be full of abandoned vehicles.

Ugh...I guess that is where my 24% non-survival comes from.

But I dont know...I'm in a more rural setting here, so maybe the guide is wrong for some places? Perhaps it was actually written by a Zombie-sympathizer?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Love the genre and have enjoyed the undead renaissance from Hollywood and the independents.

Found this comic series in B&N about a year ago and have read through #8. Wish it was in color and some better writing but still fun to read. If you haven't already, might want to check it out ... plan for a cup of java and a couple hours to read them all.

The Walking Dead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A buddy of mine was just showing me some Walking Dead trade paper backs last weekend. Definitely looks like something I'll have to read someday.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

If you had one gun/rifle during apocalypse, what would it be and the caliber?

I would pick a 22 rifle for its abundant/cheap ammo and ability to kill small game but can a 22 kill a zombie with a head shot?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #28
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If you had one gun/rifle during apocalypse, what would it be and the caliber?

I would pick a 22 rifle for its abundant/cheap ammo and ability to kill small game but can a 22 kill a zombie with a head shot?

I would go with a 9 mm handgun because of its portability and ease of use (for me at least - its the weapon I'm most familiar with). However, I would likely prefer a bow for hunting, and use the gun strictly for defense.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I for one welcome our new Zombie overlords
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My heros death would be bringing hundreds of zombies too me, and then pulling the pins on several grenades and killing myself and hundreds of zombies in the process.

The impact should take several dozen others out, and, yes they can still bite since their brain will not be demolished, but they'll be unable to move and a cleanup crew would be capable of finishing the dirtywork.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have read it. I'm in.

Last I heard the zombies felt New York was overcommercialized and they're planning to start someplace in Michigan...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #32
Flasch186
Coordinator

Road signs warn of zombies | KXAN.com

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I heard Thriller 3 times on the way to work this morning...I was wondering if that was some sort of Zombie signal.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

As I posted in the images thread, was the Boston PD down there, checking for zombie terrorism threats?

SI

Old 01-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #35
JediKooter
Coordinator

We should use those signs as some sort of neighborhood watch program, but, for zombie awareness.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #36
JPhillips
General Manager

There's a new book on the reading list, at least for our English brethren.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Quote:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies features the original text of Jane Austen’s beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton—and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she’s soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers—and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice), this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen’s classic novel to new legions of fans.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Gold

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-31-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There's a new book on the reading list, at least for our English brethren.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

That's fantastic! This is a must buy considering that Pride and Prejudice is pretty much Lady H_B's favorite book ever and my love of all things zombie.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Even zombies love Valentine's Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombievalentine.jpg (88.2 KB, 165 views)
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #40
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Night of the Living Dead (original and remake), Dawn (original only), and Day of the Dead were my damned life from ages 14-21.

Choke on em.

I would regularly plan out a "what to do in case" with my best friend. There's a guns n' ammo shop about 4 football fields from my place, and plenty of grocery stores in the area. Having grown up going hunting w/ my dad, I'm a damned good shot as long as the gun is sighted in properly. I'm very confident in my abilities.

I read the first Max Brooks book, but I have yet to pick up the second one. It's on my amazon wish list for sure.

Edit - Additionally, I'd use a .243 caliber rifle w/ a scope. Not too much kick, but plenty of power to blow the brains out of those decayed sob's.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #41
Kodos
Resident Alien

I really enjoyed World War Z, but found the Zombie Survival Guide kind of tedious and boring.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #42
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I really enjoyed World War Z, but found the Zombie Survival Guide kind of tedious and boring.

Seconding the props for World War Z. Good read.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #43
RendeR
Coordinator

If you prefer handguns to rifles or shotguns then you must choose a .45 a 9 mil is handy, if you want to punch holes in cardboard boxes. If you want to actually drop something with a handgun you need a .45
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
If you prefer handguns to rifles or shotguns then you must choose a .45 a 9 mil is handy, if you want to punch holes in cardboard boxes. If you want to actually drop something with a handgun you need a .45

.45 is definitely where it's at. A 9m is for wanna be gang bangers who can't shoot worth a damn and need the extra 9 shots to try and hit something.

With zombies, you don't have time to miss. You need to drop them right away and a .45 gives you that advantage.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

And the ammo count isn't an issue since you can get expanded clips for almost any .45

Now if we can get a hold of a .50 cal to blockade the entrance of our stronghold with.....
Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I played "Left 4 Dead" for a good 3+ hours last night. Among me and my three buddies, we killed approximately 30 zombies a minute. Friendly fire is still an issue. There are kinks that need to be worked out for certain.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #47
Travis
Pro Rookie

You guys sure are thinking loud Might need a few people who know which end of a katana to hold to take out any roving zombies rather than inviting the whole mess over for dinner with all the booming and the banging.

Not that I wouldn't want one of my own (the .45 that is) as well, but save the ammo and the noise for taking out groups.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah thats what the .50 cal is for, when they figure out where we're hiding. I'm thinking a large building or mall type structure. We barracade all but the delivery entrances, you know, where the trucks unload. so its all concrete.

Then we mount 2 .50 cal cannons in one truck bay and open the door only high enough to them to shoot out. We keep killing them off till they stop coming or until we run out of ammo, then we shut the door head upstairs and drop home made napalm on their asses.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #49
JediKooter
Coordinator

I like your style RendeR. Some hi powered rifles with scopes for some roof top sniping of any straglers would come in handy too.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #50
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'd also suggest some remote control explosives of some sort. Assuming the literature is correct in their hearing ability, not only would it work in either destroying or maiming a few of them, but coordinating the charges well enough would pull them away from home base, give the snipers more time/room to work and give the group a potential fall back in the case of too many zombies being attracted to the base.