Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm totally borrowing this idea for a FBCB dynasty. Love the premise.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #102
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I'm totally borrowing this idea for a FBCB dynasty. Love the premise.

I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #103
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 3: 2027 DRAFT:

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd overall pick of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select offensive tackle, Roman Glover, Iowa State University.

Todd McShay: See? Why? Why! The Dragons are in desperate need of a wide receiver. They could use a quarterback who can throw and not just run. They need a pass rush. But they pass over receiver Jon Edwards out of Washington State, Grady Gibson out of Utah State – both better prospects and at a position of need. Why limit yourself to making bad decisions, just because those decisions are from Iowa?

Mel Kiper: In general, that critique may be accurate, but the value of Glover at this spot is spot on. The Dragons drafted tackle in the first round last year, and it wasn't exactly a home run. They still have needs on the Oline, and Glover could fill those needs. He's a solid technician, he seals the edge, and he moves defenders out of the way. It's not a stretch at all to take Glover at this spot. So, unless you want to argue they needed another position more, this is a good value pick.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 22nd pick of the second round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select safety, Manuel Pinkerton, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: I give up. This is just insanity. The Dragons don't need a safety! Stupid pick.

Mel Kiper: Pinkerton is an instinctive, hard hitter with a nose for turnovers, both picking off the ball and blasting loose a fumble. But he's a bit of a tweener. His slow combine at the 40 confirmed what many scouts feared, that he could be more of a small linebacker than a true safety at the NFL level. Still, his production at Iowa may make him a better player than the combine numbers suggest.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd pick of the fourth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Punter, Dylan Jefferson, University of California.

Todd McShay: Dragons don't need a punter either. Another stupid pick. They should just do what they did in the third and earlier fourth round, and trade away their picks for future prospects. Maybe in the future the Des Moines GM won't be a madman.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 22nd pick of the fifth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select quarterback, Dakota Corriveau, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: About time! The Dragons should have considered quarterback in the first round, but instead they wait until the fifth. And why did they wait? They waited because Iowa's quarterback wasn't worth more than a fifth!

Mel Kiper: Be that as it may, I had Corriveau higher on my board than many other scouts. The 220-pound quarterback has a quick release, a strong arm, and he shows good vision in making his reads. The raw skills are there to stick around in this league. What Corriveau needs, however, is to solidify his footwork and be more accurate and consistent in the short passing game. I know some projected him in the sixth or seventh, but I think this is actually an outstanding value pick at the bottom of the fifth.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 21st pick of the sixth round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select linebacker, Dustin Cable, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: This late in the draft, you're looking at projects, guys who show upside you hope will develop. Cable was actually a feared player in the Big Ten for his relentless, passionate play. But he's also a single-focused player who committed many mental and coverage lapses. The question is, can the Dragons refine him into a spark plug?

Commissioner Gordon: With the 23rd pick of the seventh round of the 2027 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver, Kaleb Lyon, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: The Dragons need a playmaker at receiver. Should have drafted one much earlier. I doubt the slow-footed Lyon is going to make the impact they're hoping for.

DRAFT RECAP

1.23 LT Roman Glover (24/64)
2.22 SS Manuel Pinkerton (23/48)
3.21 – TRADE to San Diego for next year's 3rd and 4th
4.2 – TRADE to Seattle for QB Will Lang (8/37), a 7th rounder in last year's draft out of tiny Morningside College in Sioux City.
4.23 – P Dylan Jefferson (28/53), went to high school in West Des Moines
5.22 – QB Dakota Corriveau (11/36)
6.21 – OLB Dustin Cable (20/36)
7.23 – WR Kaleb Lyon (16/41)

Rated C+ draft
Old 01-16-2019, 08:35 AM   #104
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons Pre-Season Preview
Dick Grayson, sports reporter, Des Moines Register

Training camp for the Des Moines Dragons has come to a close, the NFL preseason schedule is about to begin, and it's time for a look back at what we've learned about the all-Iowa roster.

Training camp highlights

Of all the rookies selected in this year's draft, QB Dakota Corriveau impressed the most, especially on downfield throws. He has the arm, but he still needs to develop consistency. At this point, he's easily grabbed the #3 spot, and with Nathaniel Witt proving fragile over the last 2 years, if Corriveau impresses in preseason, he may climb to #2 and even see the field this season.

Also, last year's rookie corner, Calvin Minnig, hasn't been as impressive in the return game as advertised, but his coverage skills have really come on in his sophomore campaign. Don't be surprised if he pushes for the nickel spot.

Training camp question marks

The Dragons tried moving punter Dylan Jefferson over to kicker. It hasn't been a successful transition. Rookie safety Manuel Pinkerton has flashed potential, but he's very, very green. In a stacked secondary, he may struggle finding a roster spot.

Predictions
The Vikings are led by the best QB in the division and look to bounce back from a disappointing year last year. The Packers defense looks very strong, but their young QB is still suffering from growing pains, and the offense is underwhelming. The Bears are trying to win with a running game and no quarterback, a typically ineffective strategy in today's NFL. Best guess for the Dragons is that they finish just outside the playoffs, as age and a lack of adding new playmakers starts to catch up with them: Vikings, Packers, Dragons, Bears.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #105
revrew
Team Chaplain

Pre-Season

Game 1: At NYJets – Dakota Corriveau's debut was uninspiring despite good chemistry with former teammate and fellow rookie WR Kaleb Lyon. DE Ricardo Heuring grabs 2.5 sacks in a 27-12 victory.

Game 2: vs Denver – Trade target QB Will Lang looked good, and RB Drake Boyette put up a big day, but again it was the defense, led by 2 sacks from Heuring and 3 picks from the secondary to power a 37-10 victory.

Game 3: vs Miami – DE Ricardo "Manchild" Heuring continues his hot streak with another pair of sacks (that's 6.5 in 3 weeks), and SS Mitch Plante snagged a pair of picks. CB Calvin Minnig finally showed the flash for which he was drafted, returning a kick 97 yards to the house for the winning score, 21-17. The QB situation, however, remains very cloudy, as newcomers Corriveau and Lang duke it out for the coveted #2 spot.

Game 4: at San Diego – Punter Rick Clark almost singlehandedly won this snoozefest, pinning 8 of 11 punts inside the 20 in a 9-6 victory. The Dragons have a perfect 4-0 preseason, but QB Witt has looked tired already, while the backup battle is on fire. Some big questions loom at the most important position in Des Moines!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #106
revrew
Team Chaplain

Pre-Season Wrap-Up Press Conference with Coach Kevin O'Dea
With fact-checker expanded comments in parentheses

Coach O'Dea, there's been a lot of speculation at the quarterback position. Can you confirm who will be the starting QB for Day 1?

Yes. Nathaniel Witt has won a lot of games for this club (his record is 16-7, accounting for 16 of the 18 total Dragon victories thus far). He deserves the opportunity to go out there and do it again, especially as he's more seasoned than our other options.

What about the back-up position?

We had expected (trade target Will) Lang or (last year's sometimes starter Bart) Dubord to be the answer there, but you have to give credit to the rookie, Dakota Corriveau, for looking strong in the preseason. That's going to be a tough decision, and we haven't made it as a staff yet.

What can you tell us about the development of your rookie class so far?

(1st round selection, OT) Roman Glover is definitely playing up to his draft spot. I expect him to see good playing time this season, and frankly, he's going to be tough to keep out of the starting lineup. Dakota (Corriveau), as I mentioned, has been very, very impressive. He isn't looking like a 5th rounder, but rather someone who should have been taken much higher. The talent is there. He's going to need some reps, some experience, but we're thrilled with how he's performing.

Can you comment on any of the other draft selections?

This is the NFL, and making a roster is an accomplishment in and of itself, no matter where you were drafted. I can tell you Glover and Dakota are pushing for playing time. The other draft picks will be evaluated for where they can fill in on depth.

What about undrafted rookies?

We have a few that have turned heads, to be sure. (RB) Logan Cyrus (Iowa State) has shown some playmaking ability, and I expect we're going to want to see how we can use that this season. And (OLB) Camden Eiguren (Iowa) looks to be a special teams contributor, possibly more.

Last year's offense did not rank well in the league. Might we see some changes this year?

The changes you're going to see across the roster, on both sides of the ball, are going to be young players who really stepped it up this preseason. We saw them last year, but whether it's the seasoning or another year of NFL training, we really think we have some gems who are going to come out of the woodwork. You mentioned offense, and (Center) Ricky Beverly has shown so much improvement, he may even get the starting nod (over big free agent signing Emmanuel Almodovar). Receiver Preston Evans has also exceeded expectations. On defense, (OLB) Craig Fredrickson is playing off the ball much better, and when he returns from injury, I expect to see him get some playing time.

Defensive End Ricardo Heuring had 7 sacks across 4 preseason games. Is this going to be a breakout year for him?

Well, we've moved him from the right side to the left, which may be helping him. I sure hope it's a breakout season for him. We'd love to see "the Manchild" really reach his potential.

Coach, any predictions? Are the Dragons going to be back in the playoffs again this year?

I don’t make predictions. Too many variables. Injuries can hit you on one hand - on the other, maybe you have a young player stepping up so much you have to get him on the field. Too much can change over a season. But the Dragons play to win first, and we play to make our fans proud, second. We've got some of the best fans in the league, driving over from Iowa City or down from Ames or from the far corners of the state, packing out the stadium every home game. We aim to put a product on the field that makes their trip worthwhile. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #107
revrew
Team Chaplain

Pre-Season Business

Less than 48 hours later, the final cuts and preliminary depth chart were released.

Surprise cuts included 2nd round pick S Manuel Pinkerton, 4th round pick P Dylan Jefferson, and last year's backup QB Bart Dubord.

Of particular note on the depth chart was the #2 QB position, occupied by rookie QB Dakota Corriveau. The move left some buzzing, wondering whether the next era of Dragon football may have just announced his arrival.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #108
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 1: Vikings visit Dragons

An important in-division game. Perhaps an even more important turn of events.

The Dragons played well today, even outgaining the Vikings and their all-star QB Kris Van Pelt. But a shocking 8 turnovers killed Des Moines. What's more, 7 of those turnovers were courtesy of QB Nathaniel Witt.

"The Captain" fumbled away 5 possessions and tossed a pair of picks, leading Coach O'Dea to send in the rookie, QB Dakota Corriveau. In a true trial by fire, Corriveau got the ball on his own 2 yard line with only 2:05 left in the game.

What happened next was stunning. Corriveau ripped off 5-of-5 passing for 83 yards. He scrambled for 6 more on a critical 3rd down. The team marched all the way to 9-yard-line, when Corriveau found WR3 Rod Corbett on a crossing route for the TD.

It wasn't enough to win the game, and Corriveau did struggle when he got the ball back with 36 seconds left, but was it enough? Is it time for "The Captain" to pass the baton? Fans are really flocking to the rookie, and Coach O'Dea will have some tough decisions to make after this 43-28 loss.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #109
revrew
Team Chaplain

Coach Kevin O'Dea meets the press with some major news

Ladies and gentlemen, I have just wrapped up a very difficult meeting with "The Captain," Nathaniel Witt. I want to say from the beginning that Witt has earned his nickname. A class act. Tireless worker. All heart. What he has done here in Des Moines is absolutely legendary, leading an expansion team in its first two years, compiling a 16-8 record as a starter and never allowing us to post a losing season. He has earned a very, very special place in the heart of all Dragon fans.

His competition for the quarterback spot, however, has been better than advertised. We have a young gun in Dakota Corriveau whose level of play demands time on the field. And while the Dragons have won our hearts under Witt, while we've been a good team, if we're going to take that next step toward winning playoff games and hoisting the Lombardi … we need to improve our offensive output. We need to shake something up. We need to stretch the field and open up the offense.

For those reasons, I have decided, as difficult as it was to do, to move Witt to a reserve role and give the rookie a chance to start at quarterback.

Coach O'Day, does this mean Witt's career is done in Des Moines?

I certainly hope not. Witt has this year and next on his contract. He's the heart of this team in many ways. And he's already been a great mentor to the younger guys. We'd hate to see him leave.

Coach O'Day, what was your reaction to the Sports Illustrated profile of Jack Ledger? Is your GM really insane?

Whoa, that's a question out of left field. Look, I know Ledger projects a … unorthodox image to the world. He's a creative personality, to be sure. But Ledger and I work together daily on evaluating talent and team direction, and I can assure you he's a tremendous asset, quick to learn, and very knowledgeable and insightful about the game of football. If Ledger is half as mad as Sports Illustrated made him out to be, well … he's a mad genius. Des Moines is lucky to have him.

Thank you, that's all the time we have for questions today.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #110
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 2: 0-1 Dragons visit 0-0-1 Pittsburgh

It's safe to say the rookie QB got no help in this one. The O-line was beaten up, star MLB Dale Griffin was out with injury, and the running backs averaged less than 2 yards per carry.

If this was the glorious debut of Corriveau, it looked more like a poor kid scrambling for his life. The Dragons will test his bounce-back ability next week after this unfair test. Des Moines loses, 15-21.

Season 3, Week 3: 0-2 Eagles come to 0-2 Des Moines

Fair or not, all eyes were on Corriveau for his home start debut. His line wasn't bad for a rookie: 21-of-32, 179 yards, 79.3 QB rating. But the youngster has yet to throw a TD since his very first, impressive drive in relief of Nathaniel Witt.

Can he get up to speed against NFL-caliber players? Dragons lose this one, 14-9.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #111
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 4: 0-3 Dragons travel to 2-1 Saints

MLB Dale Griffin came back with a vengeance, but it was hardly enough, as the Dragon offense may look even worse than it did with Witt at the helm.

Truly, the team seems to be flailing. Could they be tanking? On purpose? Des Moines never had a chance in a 27-6 loss.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #112
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons Quarterly Review

Going into an early bye week, the Des Moines Dragons are in a clear transition moment.

Sitting at 0-4 with a rookie quarterback who just hasn't looked as good against NFL competition as he has on the practice field, the Dragons are nonetheless sticking to their guns. Coach Kevin O'Dea has repeatedly told reporters he has no interest in revisiting his starting QB decision, and he's going to let his fifth-round draft pick take his lumps.

And QB Dakota Corriveau has definitely taken some lumps. The Dragons have allowed 18 sacks over the first four games, the third worst in that category. They only rush for 84.5 yards per game, the fifth worst in that category (Corriveau actually leads the team with 96 rushing yards). And the team overall has coughed up nine fumbles, dead last in that category.

Meanwhile, the defense the Dragons have come to rely on has faltered. The secondary is allowing a grossly uncharacteristic 7.28 yards per attempt, eighth worst in the NFL, while a total of 10 passes defensed is just pathetic at this point in the season. And don't even get me started on the pass rush. DE Ricardo Heuring had 7 sacks in the preseason, but has exactly zero in the first four games of the regular season. And now he's out with a separated shoulder for at least three games.

Simply put, without "The Captain" in at QB, the magic is gone.

But there's a bright side to this gloomy outlook. The Dragons have finished 8-8 and 9-7 in the last two years. That's not good enough to hope for playoff success, but too good to hope for significant draft capital. It's profoundly mediocre. And the doldrums of being average in the NFL may be the quickest way to stay average.

Coach O'Day has said his eyes are on building for the future. He's not content to hover around .500. But if we're going to have a better future than .500, it looks like the Dragons may have to settle for a subpar year or two – at least until Corriveau can get on his feet.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #113
revrew
Team Chaplain

Bye business

Extensions were accepted by:

WR2 Preston Evans (40/46, 22yo)
WR3 Rod Corbett (39/39, 26yo)
CB3 Broderick Garcia (45/45, 23yo)
C Ricky Beverly (37/53, 25yo)
DE Julian Sisson (38/49, 24yo)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #114
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 6: 3-1 Chicago comes to 0-4 Des Moines

Corriveau finally got some run support! And while the young QB didn't exactly light it up, he didn't have to do it all by himself either. This led to a much smarter game all around – no picks, no fumbles, only 2 sacks.

The defense also experienced a bit of a revival, as CB Mitch Wells hauled in a pair of picks. Young Corriveau gets his first career win before a sellout crowd celebrating the victory, 20-14.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #115
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 7: 2-4 Tampa comes to 1-4 Des Moines

We're starting to see shades of the familiar Dragon D – fewer than 300 total yards surrendered, 5 passes defensed, seven sacks from a variety of players.

Most importantly, while young Corriveau is still wet behind the ears, he's starting to calm down. Dakota completed 20 of 27 for 209 yards and a 96.1 QB rating, his highest-rated full game of the season. The score is not much to brag about, but it's how the Dragons are accustomed to winning, 15-10.

Season 3, Week 8: 2-4 Dragons visit 4-3 Falcons

Atlanta's superstar runningback ate the Dragons alive, while the Dragon O couldn't convert on third down. The rookie QB Dakota Corriveau is improving, but he's not yet ready to carry the team on his shoulders. Dragons drop the loss, 30-9.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #116
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 9: 6-2 Panthers visit 2-5 Dragons

The sold out home crowd got a heckuva better game than the pundits were predicting! In fact, they got a heckuva game, period.

With the Dragons trailing, 20-17, in the fourth quarter, undrafted Dragon rookie LB/DE Camden Eiguren stripped the Tampa QB of the ball, and sophomore 7th rounder DE Frankie Rhoades scooped it up and rumbled to the Tampa 13. Two plays later, RB Drake Boyette raced in from 9 yards out to give the Dragons their first lead.

Then, as Tampa tried to rally, SS Mitch Plante snagged the INT, leading to rookie QB Dakota Corriveau's second TD hookup of the day with TE Kelvin Satterfield. Another INT later, and another Corriveau drive for a FG put the Dragons up for good in a rousing, 34-20 victory.

Notably, Corriveau had his first 3 TD game. Could the rookie be turning a corner?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #117
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons Halfway Report

How 'bout dem Dragons? 3-1 since their bye and completely healthy, without a single injury listed on the roster.

The biggest reason for the turnaround has to be rookie QB Dakota Corriveau discovering a long-lost missing piece of the Dragon attack, TE Kelvin Satterfield. The talented, but too often forgotten tight end now leads the team with 427 receiving yards, more yards at the halfpoint of this season than in any previous whole season with the Dragons.

The defense has come alive as well, gathering up 10 picks to erase the Dragons' turnover deficit on the season.

The winning streak is also charging up the fans, who may be forgiving Corriveau for a rough start and really starting to back the youngster.

Corriveau and the young Dragons still have some growing up to do, but at least they've hatched from their eggs now, instead of laying them.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #118
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 10: 3-5 Dragons travel north to 1-7 Green Bay

The Packers' young QB has been struggling, leading Green Bay to do the opposite of Des Moines' Coach Kevin O'Dea by benching the young stallion and sticking with the old nag.

Alas, the Dragons' youngster had one of his worst games, tossing 3 picks, while watching his formerly healthy teammates fall to injury all around him. You can see the progress for Corriveau, but 3 picks doomed this effort to be a loss, 20-10.

Season 3, Week 11: 3-6 Dragons travel north to 4-5 Minnesota

Losing your two best players on defense, if not the entire team, never helps. With MLB Dale Griffin and SS Mitch Plante sitting on the bench with injury, this game was never going to be a good one.

Despite FS Herb Dallesandro's valiant 2 picks and a decent game from the young QB, Corriveau just doesn't have The Captain's ability to inspire miraculous play from outgunned teammates. Dragons drop an expected loss, 25-13.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #119
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 12: 3-6-1 Baltimore comes to 3-7 Des Moines

With MLB Dale Griffin and SS Mitch Plante still on the bench, even the lowly Ravens seemed intimidating.

Despite running on the Ravens, as expected, Corriveau looked every bit the rookie in a sad, 27-19 loss.

Will Dragon fans continue to back the rookie, when memories of The Captain not so far distant? Will they continue to buy Coach O'Day's line that the younger players need to play before the team can truly excel?

Or is Jack Ledger working behind the scenes to intentionally tank for a better draft pick?

Season 3, Week 13: 3-8 Dragons travel to 4-7 San Francisco

SS Mitch Plante returned, and Corriveau threw a pair of 4th quarter touchdowns, but it wasn't enough, as San Fran pounded away at the Dragons, who were forced to sign a rookie off the street from a tiny, private college in Iowa to play middle linebacker. Injuries are just decimating this squad, and it showed up in the box score, as Dragons gave up over 200 yards rushing in a demoralizing loss, 31-19.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #120
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 14: 3-9 Dragons visit 9-3 Cleveland

Bloodbath expected, as the Dragons can't field a full linebacker squad or offensive line, due to injury.

But Corriveau is starting to feel the heat of leading a losing squad. The youngster is getting downright angry. On the opening drive, the rookie flashed an eye-popping stiff arm en route to a 64-yard TD scramble. Later in the game, he pressed and pressed (a bit too much), tossing 3 picks, but dauntlessly driving for 2 scores in the game's final 5 minutes. For the third time this year, the kid looked unstoppable in the final minutes of the ball game. He could be a real comeback kid in the not-too-distant future.

For now, however, not even Corriveau's balls-to-the-walls performance could make up for a defense that is decimated by injury. Dragons lose the by surprisingly close score of 38-33.

Season 3, Week 15: 3-10 Dragons visit division leading 8-5 Chicago

MLB Dale Griffin returned, which helped put the clamps on Chicago's running game. Alas, Chicago's defense also put the hurt to the Dragon offense. The Dragons drop another loss, 23-6.

Fans are starting to look beyond this dismal season to the draft. Des Moines' draft position is climbing higher and higher ... and a quick peek into the college ranks suggests this might be a very good year for that
Old 02-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #121
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3, Week 16: 5-9 Bengals visit 3-11 Dragons

3 dropped passes, 7 passes defensed, 8 hurries, 2 sacks, and poor QB Dakota Corriveau just couldn't get it going today. Even the fans are starting to fall away as the Dragon experiment seems to have hit its lowest point. No joy in Mudville, as Des Moines drops a hideous loss, 6-3.

Season 3, Week 17: 5-10 Packers visit 3-12 Dragons

Mercifully, the season has come down to its last game. The lack of energy in the stands at Joker Field is palpable. Enthusiasm is at an all-time low. The Dragons are dead last in the power ratings. All they have to do is lose this game to snag the #3 overall draft pick, at worst. Could they at least win by losing?

Coach O'Dea, however, had another idea. A risky one. With Corriveau dinged up with a sprained ankle, recognizing this could be the last time The Captain dons a Dragon uniform, O'Dea put Nathaniel Witt back into the lineup at QB.

The risk, it would seem, payed off - if O'Dea was hoping to silence his critics. For Nathaniel "The Captain" Witt surrendered 8 sacks, 3 turnovers, and demonstrated clearly that the magic is gone.

"Maybe O'Dea was right all along," talk radio opined after the game. "Witt looked terrible. Maybe giving the rookie the experience was the way to go."

The Dragons finished tied for the 2nd worst record in football and will draft #2 overall.

Will there be an Iowa player worth the losing season?

Last edited by revrew : 02-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #122
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 3 Statistical Season Recap
*Previous season in parentheses

Team Passing: 24th (28)
Team Rushing: 29th (14)
Total O: 26th (25)
Team Scoring: 29th (28)
Team Pass D: 15th (5)
Team Rushing D: 29th (15)
Total D: 23rd (6)
Team Scoring D: 25th (4)
Turnover margin: 22nd (19)

Individual top performances:
Passing: Dakota Corriveau, 56.8%, 2943 yards, 11TDs, 14INTs, 68.6 rtg
Rushing: Drake Boyette, 552 yds, 3.47 ave, 2 TDs
Receiving: Miles Kinney, 803 yds, 3 TD, 11 drops
Oline: Rookie Roman Glover, in only allowing 4 sacks and tallying a 34.6 BPct, takes the honors
Tackles: SS Mitch Plante, 100 tackles
Sacks: DE Julian Sisson, 8.5 sacks, 24 hurries
PassD: FS Herb Dallesandro, 4 INTs, 9 Pdef, 83.6 PDPct
Punting: Rick Clark, #1 in NFL in punting yards, #1 in punting average, #1 in net average, #1 in punts downed inside the 20, and All-League 1st team

Team profit: $67.7 M (32.9 M)
Attendance: 98.1% (99)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #123
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons Stick to Guns, Go Down in Whimper of Glory

You gotta give Coach Kevin O'Dea of the Des Moines Dragons this: He sticks to his convictions.

The coach who was celebrated for leading the Dragons to their first-ever playoff game in his first season is now also the proud owner of a disastrous, losing campaign in his second season. He made the decision to bench the heart and soul of the Dragons to go with a rookie, 5th round quarterback. And he rode that decision to the second worst record in the NFL. That's conviction.

And by all accounts, O'Dea plans to stick with young QB Dakota Corriveau for another year. For better or worse, the coach has hitched his wagon to this quarterback.

Does that put O'Dea on the hot seat should the Dragons not return to respectability? Is there ticking clock on O'Dea's tenure in Des Moines?

I'm going to propose that depends largely on this next draft. The Dragons have the draft capital, in the 1.2 pick and a pair of thirds, to move around and get the players O'Dea wants. And by listening to the usual college scout pundits, there may be some players from Iowa worth picking in the upcoming draft.

O'Dea has determined that the team will go young and seek to build a winner, rather than a .500 finisher. He insists that giving the kids the reins is the way to get the experience they need. The gamble he may be taking, however, is whether those youngsters will be ready to win before the stellar Dragon secondary – the strongest, but oldest unit on the team – starts to crumble.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #124
revrew
Team Chaplain

START of SEASON 4

Free Agency:

Extensions of note:
RG Fred McLane (55/55)
OT3 Colby Gibson (45/45)
C2 (Oline leader) Emmanuel Almodovar (44/44)
FS Herb Dallesandro (57/57)
DE Ricardo Heuring (34/34)
EDGE Camden Eiguren (26/37)

Cuts of note:
Former D-line leader DT Gilbert Powell (22/22)

Signees:
OG Ellis Morris (53/53, 24yo, out of Woodbine, IA)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #125
revrew
Team Chaplain

ESPN Draft Profile: Des Moines Dragons

The dearth of the Des Moines Dragons offense is reaching critical levels, especially after a season of making a rookie quarterback suffer without a legitimate NFL attack. So once again, Des Moines enters the draft in need of weapons, particularly at wide receiver and running back.

On the defensive side of the ball, the linebacker group is a position of strength, but the team needs young depth in the secondary, and the D-line needs major upgrades, particularly at pass rusher.

The Dragons' biggest needs, assuming they're confident in their young quarterback, are wide receiver and defensive end. And lo and behold, for Des Moines GM Jack Ledger, who has limited himself to drafting and signing players exclusively from Iowa, those needed pieces are definitely in play.

Let's take a look at which Iowa prospects the Dragons might target:

1st Round
WR Louis Forbes, Iowa State – Forbes is not the fastest receiver in draft, but his 4.43 40 at the combine is ample, especially for a player with elite agility and toughness, which Forbes has. He's phenomenal at adjusting to the ball in the air and making the most of it in the open field. Though the 1.2 might be too rich for Forbes, it wouldn't be surprising to see him taken top 10.

DE Elias Reese, University of Iowa – Reese is a big, powerful, angry, pin your ears back pass rusher. He has the size to play 3-4 or 4-3 end. He's not the top rated end on the board, for he lacks discipline and can be caught out of position against the run, but he has the look and the snarl of a quarterback killer. He will likely be taken somewhere near the back of the first, so the Dragons may need to trade up (or way down) if they have their eyes on him.

Other notables:
G Cedric Grundy, U of I – Technically very sound, high motor, kid. But he's young and needing to grow into his 6'3 frame. Would have benefited from staying for his senior season. Projected mid to late round pick.
WR Xavier Bradley, U of I – He has reliable hands, is good in the open field, but his technique is sloppy. Projected late round pick.
WR Robbie Thompson, U of I – Bradley's teammate for the Hawkeyes, Thompson has straight line speed, but below average agility. Late round pick.
C Aaron Alexander, ISU – Alexander flashes elite run blocking skills, but his overall athleticism is only average. Can get overwhelmed or pushed over by top defensive tackles. Late rounder to URFA.

Sleeper
C Antonio Sallee, ISU – Alexander's backup at Iowa State, Sallee moved around the line. He's a big, bruising, mauler, played with a tough streak, but he's soft around the middle and raw at any position. Could be a project.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #126
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 4: 2028 DRAFT:

"Oh, jeez," said Dragons Assistant Coach Nickolas Troutman. "You about gave me a heart attack."

The lights in the draft war room flickered to life, computer screens booted up from the base blue, and the smile of a solitary figure, dressed in a purple suit, grinned from the escaping dark like the Cheshire Cat in Alice's Wonderland.

Dragon Coach Kevin O'Dea followed Troutman into the room and slapped his assistant on the shoulder.

"What's the matter?" O'Dea asked. "Are you surprised Ledger would be here so early?"

"No," Troutman said. "I just didn't expect to see him sitting in the dark."

It was not yet 5 a.m. in the J.W. Marriott, overlooking Music City Center in Nashville, Tennessee. But Jack Ledger was already working the phones.

"Watch pick Number 1," Ledger said to his assembling staff, as they took their first sips of coffee and tried to shake off the cobwebs of too-early interrupted sleep. "The word on the street is they want a receiver."

"Not Forbes!" O'Dea said.

"No. Oakland wants speed. They're looking at the kid from Rutgers."

"So we take Forbes Number 2?"

Ledger smiled his unsettling grin. "Let's just say … I have something else up my sleeve."
Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #127
revrew
Team Chaplain

2028 Draft Coverage:

Oakland did indeed take "the kid from Rutgers." With the Dragons on the clock at #2, however, NFL Commissioner James Gordon had an announcement to make.

Commissioner Gordon: The Des Moines Dragons have traded the second overall pick to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Todd McShay: It's no secret the Dragons have their eye on wide receiver Louis Forbes out of Iowa State. And for once, I don't think that's a bad choice for them, though RB Chris Benson out of Wisconsin should be just too good to pass up. In a draft without strong quarterback prospects, I'm surprised Oakland didn't take Benson. Yet … I'm assuming Des Moines' trade with Philly is only down a few spots, to 1.7. If so, they should still be able to get their man and extra compensation. I don't see another team that has their eyes on Forbes. I think everyone assumed he was going 1.2.

Commissioner Gordon: With the seventh selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons pick wide receiver Louis Forbes, Iowa State University.

Mel Kiper: It looks like the Des Moines Dragons have found the sweet spot on draft day, getting a player they need, from a school they covet, at a spot that makes sense. Forbes is a playmaker, a young receiver with sneaky speed and feet that can't be tracked. He reminds me of a young Antonio Brown. He finds ways to get open and then burns you after the catch. The Dragons absolutely had to come away from this draft with a difference-maker on offense, and for once, an Iowa school had the guy the Dragons needed. What's more, the terms of the trade are rolling in, and Jack Ledger is coming up smelling like roses. We now understand that Philadelphia traded the 1.7, the 2.6, and a second next year for the 1.2.

Todd McShay: With that kind of firepower, the Dragons have what they need to come back into the first, if they want. Do you suppose that's the play?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #128
revrew
Team Chaplain

Commissioner Gordon: The Denver Broncos have traded the 28th selection of the 2028 draft to the Des Moines Dragons.

Todd McShay: Bam! Exactly what we predicted! And you know who Des Moines is targeting with this trade …

Commissioner Gordon: With the 28th pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select defensive end Elias Reese, University of Iowa.[/b]

Mel Kiper: Let me tell you what you're getting with Elias Reese. You're getting a locomotive. This is a guy who fires up the engines, and then he railroads right over anyone who gets in between him and the quarterback. He has elite size and strength, surprising speed, and we don't even know how high this guy's ceiling is. Sure, he slipped down some boards, including mine, because he's still just lightning in a bottle. He doesn't have all the moves he's going to need at the next level. Like a locomotive, he doesn't change direction very fast, and running backs can get by him. But if you want someone to run over and through anything in his way, it's Elias Reese. And if he's coached well, learns well, the sky is the limit for this kid. I'm hearing the Dragons had to give up the 2.2 and 2.6 to get him, a hefty price to be sure, but if Reese can maximize his immense potential, it's all going to look worth it in the end.

…

The Dragons traded their third round picks, the 3.2 and 3.4, to Kansas City for SS Aaron Newhart (47/47), KC's leading tackler over last 3 years, with 9 picks over the same time span. He brings youth and depth to the Dragons' secondary and makes sure Des Moines doesn't miss a beat if SS Mitch Plante or FS Herb Dallesandro miss any time with injury.
…

Commissioner Gordon: With the 99th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver Xavier Bradley, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: It's good to see the Dragons focusing on the playmakers they need. Bradley's a big, 6'3, 220-pound receiver who is very good in the open field. He will need to polish his technique and route running to succeed at the next level.

…

Commissioner Gordon: With the 100th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select guard Cedric Grundy, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: I see Grundy as a reach in the fourth. There were better guards available, if only the Dragons were willing to draft outside of Iowa.

…

Commissioner Gordon: With the 130th selection of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver Robbie Thompson, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: If you've ever scored a touchdown for an Iowa school, come on down! The Dragons will take anyone, so long as you're from Iowa.

Mel Kiper: If you're criticizing the Dragons for this pick, I've got to disagree with you. I like Thompson in the 5th; in fact, I like him more than the other Hawkeye receiver the Dragons took in the 4th. Robbie Thompson has good speed, looks the ball in over his shoulder very well. He may not have been the go-to guy at Iowa, but I see him with more upside at the next level.

…

Commissioner Gordon: With the 163rd pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select center Aaron Alexander, Iowa State University.

Mel Kiper: Good hands, quick feet. Alexander isn't overwhelming, but he's a solid NFL prospect who should find a roster spot somewhere. Even if this kid wasn’t from Iowa, if the Dragons were drafting for best talent available, they nailed it with this pick. I listed Alexander as the 4th best center in this year's draft, and there's no way he should have lasted to the 6th round.

…

Commissioner Gordon: With the 192nd pick of the 2028 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select running back, Jimmy Perot, University of Tennessee.

Todd McShay: Perot? I have to admit, I'm really surprised he fell this far. I was expecting him to go 4th or 5th round, not 7th. But he's from Tennessee.

Mel Kiper: He went to high school in Sidney, Iowa, Todd. Way down in the southwest corner. And this is another solid, value pick for the Dragons. Perot is surprisingly shifty, makes defenders miss. The biggest drawback is that at 25 years old, he has a lot of miles on those tires.

Draft list:

1.7 WR Louis Forbes (36/66)
1.28 Elias Reese (38/54)
4.3 WR Xavier Bradley (20/34)
4.4 G Cedric Grundy (11/54)
5.2 WR Robbie Thompson (17/42)
6.3 C Aaron Alexander (18/57)
7.2 RB Jimmy Perot (18/18)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #129
revrew
Team Chaplain

What We Learned at Training Camp

Fresh from Walston-Hoover Stadium on the lovely campus of Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa, here's a quick breakdown of the leading stories from the Des Moines Dragons training camp:

Most of the pundits were watching second-year QB Dakota Corriveau, to see if he can make the leap to legitimate NFL starter. Reviews are mixed. He does show good arm strength and throws a pretty deep ball, but accuracy and timing are still inconsistent, and the scuttlebutt suggests he's still struggling to digest the full playbook.

The fans, however, had their eyes on top-10 draft pick, WR Louis Forbes. The newcomer has made himself very popular following some spectacular plays in camp, and watching his ability to track the ball in the air and contort to catch even a badly thrown ball might be exactly the security blanket Corriveau needs to thrive.

The other first rounder, DE Elias Reese, is making an impression, too. The sound of him hitting the sled cracks like thunder. Coaches I talked to on the sideline keep repeating the same thing, "untapped potential." Part of that's a compliment, to be sure, but then the same coach sighs, as though he's resigning himself to a massive task ahead. We'll see if that potential can be realized.

At the other end of the draft, 7th round selection Jimmy Perot has been more "slippery" than advertised, and he may well find a spot on the opening day roster. 6th rounder, center Aaron Alexander, has been raising some eyebrows, especially with his run blocking. The same, however, cannot yet be said for the fourth round pick Cedric Grundy, who is having a hard time pushing past the other offensive lineman for reps.

Overall, however, there's some excitement building. The offensive line, once a real weakness for this team, is a deep unit. The rookie receivers and budding quarterback hint at an offense we've yet to see in Dragon football. Could Coach O'Dea be building a more balanced team? 2028 will be a real test.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #130
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 4: Preseason contests

Week 1:
QB Dakota Corriveau likes his new toy. The sophomore sensation QB completed 13 of 17 and a pair of TDs to rookie WR Louis Forbes (who had 101 yards on the day), for a 132.2 QB Rating. 17-10 win.

Week 3:
Coach O'Dea gave all 3 Des Moines QBs a healthy chance to play today. None did great. Corriveau did the best. Rookie Louis Forbes continued to look good. The rest of the team did not. 41-26 loss.

Week 4:
It appears the defense was upset about giving up 41 points in the last game. 7 players combined for 12 sacks, and 8 passes were defensed in a game that saw QB2 Will Lang have the better day. 23-9 victory. But a half dozen injuries will mean the Dragons will not be full strength when the season starts.

Week 5:
In the battle between last year's NFL cellar dwellers, Oakland and Des Moines, Nathaniel Witt got the nod and the relatively quick hook. Corriveau, however, came in to replace him and led the team with a 116.5 QB rating and a pair of TDs for the win. No question: Witt's time in Des Moines is done. This is Corriveau's team now. The injury bug, however, only got worse in this 21-14 victory.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #131
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 1: Dragons travel to Chicago

The first quarter of this contest was ugly, as young QB Dakota Corriveau tossed a pick six and the Dragons fell behind.

It continued to look bleak until right after before the half, when, with 22 seconds left, FS Herb Dallesandro snagged the ball out the of air and answered with a pick 6 of our own.

In the second half, the Dragons found a little more rhythm, and despite a poor day from the young QB overall, Corriveau found rookie WR Louis Forbes for his first NFL regular season touchdown. It proved enough, as Dragons pick up a key, in-division win, 17-15.

Of note, fellow rookie DE Elias Reese made his presence felt as well, notching five tackles, a sack, and two QB hurries.

Season 4, Week 2: 0-1 Patriots visit 1-0 Dragons

We outgained 'em, out rushed 'em, outplayed 'em up and down the field. Ricardo "ManChild" Heuring seems grateful to have a legitimate pass-rush threat on the other side, as he racked up 3.5 sacks, 3 knockdowns, and a safety.

But in the end, four dropped passes and a pair of interceptions put us behind the 8-ball. With only seconds to play, and driving just outside field goal range, QB Dakota Corriveau tossed his third pick of the day, sealing a heartbreaking, close loss, 27-26.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #132
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 3: 1-1 Dragons visit 2-0 Washington

QB Dakota Corriveau was on fire in this one early, racking up his best game of the season, en route to a 28-6 halftime lead. By the day's end, Corriveau's line read 22-of-32 for 262 yards, 3 scores, and no picks. All three TDs were to TEs, further sign that Corriveau plays well when everyone's involved.

Something happened in the second half, however. The offense sputtered, the defense faltered, and momentum swung, big time. Despite solid pressure from Des Moines' new sack duo – Elias Reese and "ManChild" Heuring – Washington chipped away at the Dragon lead, until, with 12 seconds left, they kicked the winning field goal. For the second week in a row, Dragons lose by a mere point, 28-29.

Season 4, Week 4: 0-3 Rams come to 1-2 Des Moines

The Rams completely shut down the Dragon rushing attack, and for the first time, QB Dakota Corriveau took the team entirely on his shoulders. 33 of 51 passing, 447 yards. WR1 Miles Kinney caught 12 of 15 for 197.

In the end, however, Corriveau tried to do too much. Pressed too hard. 4 picks crushed the Dragons at home. The Iowa boys lose, 23-13.

Last edited by revrew : 02-21-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #133
revrew
Team Chaplain

Bye Week Business

OLB Ross Flanagan (39/39, 24yo) accepted a contract extension
CB Ashton Dodge (46/46, 33yo) tacked on another year to his contract, though it will likely be his last

Dragons 1st Quarter report

Can you feel the growing pains?

No, I'm not just putting a positive spin on another frustrating season. The Des Moines Dragons may sit at 1-3, and their statistical rankings do still look like a lower-tier team, but this is a young team at key positions, and most of the team's struggles thus far are clearly related to inexperience.

First and foremost, the Dragons' biggest struggle is turnovers, where Des Moines ranks #31 in the NFL. The 2nd-year QB Dakota Corriveau is pushing hard, too hard, and the chemistry just isn't there yet. Corriveau is working with a rookie starting WR, and his most reliable target in TE Kelvin Satterfield hasn't even made it onto the field yet because of injury. Consequently, completion percentage is down, and interceptions are up. This is to be expected.

But what will happen when Satterfield returns and the young QB and young WR start to find their NFL sea legs?

That's the tantalizing question that leads me to caution Dragon fans about writing off 2028 as a lost cause just yet.

What's even more tantalizing is the sudden surge in pass rush the Dragons have found in rookie DE Elias Reese. Not only is Reese leading all NFL rookies in sacks, but his presence has released "The ManChild" DE Ricardo Heuring on the other side of the line to have what is so far shaping up to be the best season of his young career.

No, the Dragons are not yet a winning ball club. But give these young pups just a little more leash. They're still cutting their teeth.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #134
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 6: 1-3 Dragons visit 3-2 Green Bay

With Minnesota underperforming again, Green Bay sits atop the division. At home, they're always tough. The Dragons returned almost everyone from injury, including TE Kelvin Satterfield. Would it provide a spark?

Not for the offense. Even coming out of the bye, the Dragons looked awful. So, however, did the Packers. It came down to a slugfest, as neither offense could muster an attack, and the Dragon defense scored both a touchdown and a safety.

Somehow, when the dust settled, and two proud defenses finished picking the offenses out of their cleats, the final score showed a Dragon victory, 12-5. What is this, baseball?

Season 4, Week 7: 2-3 Dragons travel to 3-2 San Francisco

Turnovers. Hate, hate, hate turnovers. The Dragons outplayed the 49ers, young DE Elias Reese added another pair of sacks (DROY candidate?), but Corriveau lost 2 fumbles and tossed two more picks, costing the Dragons the game. Despite finding good chemistry with WR1 Miles Kinney and TE Kelvin Satterfield catching his first TD since return from injury, Des Moines suffers another close loss, 23-17.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #135
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 8: 5-1 Seattle comes to 2-4 Des Moines

Definitely not favored in this one. Seattle's blistering pass attack and relentless pass rush are formidable.

Nonetheless, the first half of this contest looked like a pair of heavyweights duking it out. The Dragon D completely shut down Seattle's rushing attack. The Iowa boys hung in there, and the two squads went into halftime tied 13-13.

At the end of the game, however, with Seattle leading by a touchdown, things began to look desperate for the Dragons. And in that desperation, an all-too-familiar refrain – Corrriveau pushed too hard, threw 2 INTS in the last 2 minutes of the game. Des Moines drops the loss, 20-13.

Season 4, Week 9: 4-3 Bears come to 2-5 Des Moines

Dragons MLB Dale Griffin again led a monster run defense, completely stuffing Bears all-star RB Adam Divine. But once again, the offense fell flat. Once again, turnovers killed us. And once again, the aging Des Moines secondary showed its age. This one feels like a nail in the coffin (for Corriveau too?), as the Dragons lose, 20-7.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #136
revrew
Team Chaplain

The halfway point of an ugly season

At the halfway point, QB Dakota Corriveau has already thrown more interceptions than he did in all of last year's abysmal season.

Yes, the secondary isn't as dominant as it once was. Yes, the rushing game is historically, historically inept (two touchdowns in 8 games???). Yes, there are plenty of people calling for a coaching change.

But as popular as Corriveau is with the fans, his play on the field is another thing.

Once upon a time, the fate of the Dragons followed "The Captain." Now it follows young Corriveau. If he plays well, the pieces are in place such that this team could win. But he isn't playing well. The record shows it. Until he learns to protect the football, he won't have a lead to protect.

Coach, fix this. If you can't, I can't imagine how much more patience Jack Ledger will have for you.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #137
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 10: 2-6 Dragons try to right the ship at 2-6 Arizona

Whoa! Where did this kid come from? Actually, he made some noise in preseason, but this was a breakout game for RB3 Jimmy Perot, the 7th round pick out of the University of Tennessee and Sidney, Iowa.

After Arizona scored their second touchdown at the end of the first quarter, Perot took the first play of the second quarter 80 yards to the house. At the end of the third quarter, Perot answered another Cardinal score with a 64-yard touchdown streak.

Perot proved elusive, Corriveau scaled back the over-effort to play a solid game, and the Dragons came away from the desert with a 27-21 victory.

Season 4, Week 11: Division leading 6-3 Minnesota comes to 3-6 Des Moines

Back and forth, back and forth, 6 field goals, 5 touchdowns, no team having the lead for long. At the end of the 4th quarter, Corriveau leads the team 80 yards in 1:24, capping it off with a 24-yard TD strike to rookie WR Louis Forbes to take the lead. You see? This is what this team could be!

Alas, leaving 1:00 on the clock was just a bit too long. Minnesota capped a quick drive of their own with a 46-yard field goal as time expired, taking back the lead and dropping the Dragons into a heartbreaking 27-25 loss.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #138
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 12: 3-7 Dragons visit 4-6 Bills

3 more picks tossed by Corriveau. Elias Reese has hit the rookie wall. There's not much joy in Mudville. Despite an exciting, 60-yard TD gallop by TE Kelvin Satterfield early in this contest, the Dragons let it slip away in the 4th quarter again. The calls for a new coach are mounting. Dragons lose, 20-16.

Season 4, Week 13: 5-6 Buccs visit 3-8 Dragons

Well, now. This is the Dragon defense resurgent, reminding us how good they've been and how good they can be. Thankfully, Corriveau didn't throw any picks, so Des Moines actually had a chance.

In the end, it was the Dragon D, racking up 7 sacks (3 from Manchild Huering, 2 from Elias Reese), 7 passes defensed, and 2 picks, that led to a home victory, 12-10.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #139
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 14: 4-8 Dragons fly to 4-8 Miami

Once again, the 4th quarter and Corriveau's interceptions did us in. Miami scores 10 in the final frame to hand Des Moines a disheartening loss, 20-16.

Season 4, Week 15: 4-9 Packers fight over NFC North last place in 4-9 Des Moines

Two missed field goals and two lost fumbles spoiled WR Louis Forbes' best day. The receiver caught 9 of 12 for 126 yards, but the team jockeyed for better draft position with a 17-12 loss.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #140
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4, Week 16: 9-5 Jets fly into 4-10 Des Moines

SS Mitch Plante's 3 passes defensed and DE Ricardo Heuring's 1.5 sacks were the only even marginally good things in this 33-6 loss. Bring on the high draft pick! QB Dakota Corriveau just doesn't look like he can carry this team either.

Season 4, Week 17: 4-11 Des Moines wraps up at division winning 10-5 Minnesota
Minnesota's star QB carved the Dragons to pieces in an ugly, ugly 33-7 loss.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #141
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 4 Statistical Season Recap
*Previous season in parentheses

Team Passing: 20th (24)
Team Rushing: 30th (29)
Total O: 24th (26)
Team Scoring: 29th (29)
Team Pass D: 17th (15)
Team Rushing D: 17th (29)
Total D: 16th (23)
Team Scoring D: 19th (25)
Turnover margin: 31st (22)

Individual top performances:
Passing: Dakota Corriveau, 56.8%, 3541 yards, 15TDs, 25INTs, 65.3 rtg
Rushing: Drake Boyette, 655 yds, 3.31 ave, 2 TDs
Receiving: Miles Kinney, 1094 yds, 4 TD, 7 drops
*Oline: Newcomer LG Morris Ellis, 25 KRB, 3 SkA
Tackles: MLB Dale Griffin, 107 tackles
**Sacks: DE Ricardo Heuring, 13.5 sacks, 16 hurries
PassD: SS Mitch Plante, 4 INTs, 9 Pdef, 83.9 PDPct
Punting: Rick Clark, #1 in NFL punting average, #5 in net average

*While the running game was anemic, the Dragon Oline permitted only 27 sacks on the season, the 4th best mark in the league
** Ricardo "ManChild" Heuring was awarded 2nd team All-Pro for his best season yet

Team profit: $24.5 M (67.7 M)
Attendance: 99.3% (98.1)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #142
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons' Elias Reese wins NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year

It didn't take long after the Des Moines Dragons selected Elias Reese with the 28th selection of last year's NFL rookie draft to know they had a "beast" on their hands.

"Reese is 288 pounds of pure animal," said Dragons Defensive Coordinator Andrew Hatchette after the first week of training camp. "I honestly believe by the end of this season, opposing offensive linemen will be frightened to see him put his hand in the dirt opposite them."

Indeed, by the end of the season, Reese had racked up 10.5 sacks and 20 quarterback hurries, the most combined by any rookie taken in last year's draft.

Playing with the 295-pound defensive end Ricardo Heuring on the other end of the line from Reese gave the Dragons the most punishing pass rush in the NFL. Collapsing the pocket from the opposite side, Heuring racked up 13.5 sacks, 16 hurries, and 19 QB knockdowns, earning him 2nd team All-Pro.

The combination of both sudden stars with run-stuffing stud and linebacker Dale Griffin patrolling the middle of the field has made the Des Moines Dragons' defensive front both young and dominating.

What's more, Hatchette doesn't believe Reese has yet reached his full potential.

"It's hard to believe sometimes he's just a rookie," Hatchette told the Register. "Physically, he's already so dominant. But there are pass rush moves he hasn't even tried out yet. There's so much he has to learn from watching tape and building experience. This kid has a very, very high ceiling."
Old 03-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #143
revrew
Team Chaplain

BEGIN SEASON 5

Free Agency recap

Extensions of note:
SS Mitch Plante (76/76, 25yo)
TE Kelvin Satterfield (67/67, 25yo)
C Ricky Beverly (49/49, 26yo)
RT Dashawn O'Connell (47/47, 25yo)
LT2 Bob Hansen (32/52, 25yo)
CB4/KR Calvin Minnig (36/36, 26yo)

New signings:
None
Old 03-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #144
revrew
Team Chaplain

ESPN Draft Profile: Des Moines Dragons

The Dragons have finally built a solid offensive line. But their run game is as ineffective as it's ever been.

The Dragons have a young and noise-making front seven, but the secondary is aging.

The Dragons have an improving receiving corps, but the young QB may be too turnover-prone to play NFL ball.

In short, Des Moines is a better team than their record, but a few Achilles heels are tripping them up. If the Dragons had the entire draft pool to choose from, we would expect them to target a quarterback in round one, and probably follow it up with a running back or cornerback depth in round 2.

But since the Dragons only draft Iowa players, let's take a look at which prospects the Dragons might target:

1st Round
S Gerald Barnes, University of Iowa – Despite a frame a bit too small for strong safety, Barnes is a powerful, heavy hitter with a nose for making plays. His outstanding speed and punt return ability are a real plus as well. Rated the top safety in this year's draft, the Dragons may have to use a top-10 pick to secure him.

OLB Bob Clinton, University of Iowa – Clinton has prototypical size, great measurables, and a never-ending motor. He stands out especially when dropping back into zone coverage and should instantly slide into any NFL team's nickel or dime packages. He's not the kind of elite pass rusher that will push for a top spot in the draft, but as the best pure linebacker available, expect him to fall in the upper half of the first round.

Other notables:
CB Ross Lee, Iowa – A very physical corner whose play merited 1st round consideration, but a less-than-stellar combine should drop him into the second round.
FB Dwight Stanton, Tulane – The Cedar Rapids native would have been a high draft pick decades ago, but fullbacks are rarely considered top priorities in today's NFL. His well-rounded skill set, however, would be a major upgrade for the Dragons.
CB Warren Sims, Iowa – Ross Lee's counterpart for the Hawkeye's bruising secondary, Sims could be a mid-round pick.

Sleeper
WR Chris Greene, Iowa – More of a track star than a polished receiver. Still, Greene could be considered late as a high-upside project.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #145
revrew
Team Chaplain

SEASON 5: 2029 DRAFT:

Jack Ledger had to be the most active GM on draft day, wheeling and dealing all over the draft board. He started the day with the 1.4 and an extra second, but it seemed every time the Dragons were on the clock, Commissioner Gordon came forward to announce a trade.

Ledger first traded out of the 1.4 to drop down and pick up an extra 2nd, giving the Dragons three 2nd-round picks. Only a few selections later, Ledger pulled a blockbuster, sending S Aaron Newhart and 2nd rounders all over the place to reel in another top-15 1st round pick. Later, Ledger traded away his 3rd rounder for a pair of fourth rounders.

By the weekend's end, the Dragons were left with 8 draft picks, including the 1.9, 1.12, and 2.8.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #146
revrew
Team Chaplain

2029 Draft Coverage:

Commissioner Gordon: With the 9th selection of the 2029 NFL rookie draft, The Des Moines Dragons select Gerald Barnes, safety, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: The Dragons needed a quarterback, had a quarterback available at 1.4, but then traded down to get a player at a position they already had locked up. There's a reason the Dragons are now one of the worst teams in the league. They're hamstrung by their insistence on drafting players only from Iowa.

Mel Kiper: No matter what you think of selecting the young safety out of Iowa, there's nothing not to like about Gerald Barnes' play. I had Barnes as the top safety available and one of the top 20 players in this year's draft. This kid is a playmaker. Led the Big 10 in interceptions and forced fumbles, he has a nose for the ball and brings a serious attitude to the secondary. Hits like a sledgehammer. For Des Moines to couple him down the road with Mitch Plante could give the Dragons the most feared safety pair in the NFL.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 12th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Bob Clinton, linebacker, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: Still no QB? Fine. No RB? I don't get it.

Mel Kiper: The player they did select, however, should be an instant contributor. A late entry to college after serving a stint in the military, outside linebacker Bob Clinton is a remarkably polished strong-side backer who absolutely obliterates opposing players. He hits hard, covers like a safety, and was the top rated outside linebacker in this year's class. He has the ideal size, a never-ending motor, and plays with tremendous intelligence. He's better in space than he is mixing it up with blockers, but when you watch the way he shut down receiving tight ends and played sideline-to-sideline for Iowa, you can see what makes him special.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 40th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Lee Ross, cornerback, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: Cornerback depth was a need for the Dragons, with their aging secondary, so I can't say I disagree with Ross at this spot. He's a player who looks good on tape, but a subpar combine sent him to the second round.

Mel Kiper: Ross is a physical corner, continuing a trend of selections for the Dragons who play a rough-and-tumble game. Then again, that's what the Iowa Hawkeyes have been turning out. Ross is a bump-n-run specialist who immediately throws receivers off their routes, even receivers much bigger than his 5'10" frame. His game against Michigan stands out. He covered Michigan's explosive slot player by bullying him throughout the contest. With the Hawkeyes safely in the lead, however, Ross' weakness as a zone player did lead to some breakdowns in the 4th quarter. Ross could be very, very good, but he needs to develop his mental game.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 101st selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Dwight Stanton, fullback, Tulane.

Todd McShay: I'm going to tell you what – I really like this selection. Stanton is a classic, throwback fullback, a run blocker who just gobbles up defenders. And when he slips through out in the flat, he's got soft hands and slippery speed.

Mel Kiper: Don't knock a kid who scores seven touchdowns in a single season from the fullback position. Stanton, who attended high school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, was more of a force for Tulane than most opposing teams expected. And even though he's a fourth-round pick, I expect to see him slide right in to the starting lineup from day one for Des Moines. He's just too good of an athlete to leave sitting on the bench.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 106th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Ashton Hambly, center, West Virginia.

Todd McShay: Yes, Hambly came out of Burlington, Iowa, but he's still a bit of a surprise at this spot. You think this is a stretch, Mel?

Mel Kiper: Not only is he a stretch, he's a stretch at a position the Dragons don't really need. But this is more about a kid who turned heads at the combines and sent coaches scrambling back to watch his tape. Hambly is extremely athletic for a man of 300 pounds, and if the coaches in Des Moines can tutor him well, who knows how good he can be?

Commissioner Gordon: With the 126th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select Terrance Chamoun, linebacker, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: Chamoun and teammate Bob Clinton were a dynamic duo of outside backers at Iowa, and both can play the pass well. But where Clinton is polished, Chamoun is very, very green.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 165th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select wide receiver Chris Greene, University of Iowa.

Mel Kiper: Greene ran in the 4.47 range at the combine, so he has speed, but his hands and his ability to track the ball do leave something to be desired. He should be considered a project player at this point.

Commissioner Gordon: With the 196th selection of the 2029 draft, the Des Moines Dragons select defensive end Tony Garcia, University of Iowa.

Todd McShay: Garcia is a big kid, a real personality in Iowa City. He was a key part of the Hawkeyes' run defense, but his ability to get to the QB is in question.

1.9 – S Gerald Barnes (44/65)
1.12 – OLB Bob Clinton (41/60)
2.8 – CB Ross Lee (28/47)
4.5 – FB Dwight Stanton (27/64)
4.10 – C Ashton Hambly (8/33)
5.4 – OLB Terrance Chamoun (10/39)
6.5 – WR Chris Greene (22/29)
7.4 – DE Tony Garcia (17/41)

Solecismic Draft Grade: B-
Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #147
revrew
Team Chaplain

Dragons' Post-Training Camp Report

After two, dismal, losing seasons in Des Moines, there is nonetheless a surging (and warranted?) enthusiasm stirring at Dragons' training camp. Fielding FOUR first-round draft picks taken in the last two years will do that: a major shot in the arm of both talent and optimism.

Talking to coaches and players, however, the new youth infusion is more than just hopes and dreams.

Position coaches are raving about last year's NFL defensive rookie of the year, DE Elias Reese, who has come back from the offseason in great shape and sporting new moves and techniques that weren't in the repertoire last year.

Dragons star safety Mitch Plante, meanwhile, has revealed he thinks this year's top draft pick, FS Gerald Barnes, is already "light years ahead" of where Plante was as a rookie. Assistant coaches affirm that Barnes may already be the most physically talented player on the team, and if he picks up the mental side, he has the makings of an NFL All-Pro.

Fellow rookie draftees, OLB Bob Clinton and second-rounder CB Lee Ross, are reportedly pushing their way into the lineup.

And on the offensive side of the ball, second-year WR Louis Forbes is wrapping up an even better looking camp than last year.

The biggest question of camp, however, has been how QB Dakota Corriveau would bounce back from a disastrous season in which he threw 10 more interceptions than touchdowns. So far, the answer is encouraging. Without the specter of Nathaniel Witt (who signed with Tennessee) looming over his shoulder, Corriveau entered the camp with an eye-opening amount of resolve and command. Coaches are saying his grasp of the offensive playbook is noticeably improved, and the youngster has run the huddle like last year's woes were but water off a duck's back.

Will Corriveau's confidence persist into the regular season? If it does, coupled with the infusion of young, top-shelf talent …

Dragon fans, let me just say, the whispers are growing in volume and intensity. There's a phrase buzzing about the locker room. I hate to print it, in fear I might jinx it, but the players are starting to say it out loud. Are you ready for … "Worst to first"? Because right now, the Dragons look like they believe it.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #148
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 5, PRESEASON

Game 1: QB Dakota Corriveau completed 8-of-8 for 116 yards, DE Ricardo Heuring racked up 3 sacks, and last year's 5th round pick, WR Robbie Thompson, had a breakout game in the slot, as the Dragons slipped past the Steelers in Pittsburgh, winning 23-17.

Game 2: Corriveau completed 16-of-19 for 208 yards and a TD, this time helped by WR Louis Forbes with 110 yards. Nathaniel Witt did not see the field for Tennessee, a bit of a disappointment for the hometown crowd, who nonetheless celebrated a 20-14 victory.

Game 3: Corriveau threw his first pick of the preseason, but still completed 16 of 20. WR Robbie Thompson showed up big again, with 10 of 15 for 95 yards. The offense is still too dink-and-dunk, however, and the lack of a big play showed in a 16-13 loss.

Game 4: The offense struggled mightily in this one with most of the starters on the bench, but the defense notched a pair of fumble TD returns, paving the way to a 24-23 victory.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #149
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 5, Week 1: Packers come to Des Moines

The Dragon defense was absolutely dominating in this contest, racking up a stunning 7 sacks, a fumble return for a TD, and a safety. Our monster DE duo had a combined 5 sacks, 6 hurries, and 10 knockdowns all by themselves. Three rookies started in the contest on defense, and CB Lee Ross was particularly effective, refusing to surrender a completion in 45 pass attempts. OLB Bob Clinton led the team with 10 tackles and notched a half-sack and a knockdown, but he was less effective than advertised against the pass.

The offense, however, was completely pedestrian. Efficient, mistake-free, but boring vanilla. They're going to have to do better. For now, however, it's a victory, 18-16.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #150
revrew
Team Chaplain

Season 5, Week 2: 1-0 Dragons travel to 0-1 Oakland

The pass rush power continued this week for the Dragons, who kept a lid on the Raiders with 6 sacks and 10 hurries. The rookie defenders continued to play well.

The offense, alas, continued to struggle, especially in the air. QB Dakota Corriveau has yet to throw a TD pass this season. He did, however, run one in, and RB Drake Boyette ran in a pair, giving Des Moines the comfortable victory, 27-10.

Season 5, Week 3: 2-0 Des Moines visits 1-1 New Orleans

Oh, the heartbreak!

After a struggling first half, QB Dakota Corriveau kicked it into gear, threw his first TD pass of the season, racked up over 300 yards passing, found a good connection with WR Louis Forbes (7 catches, 141 yards, and a score), and brought back the Dragons to take the lead with only a minute left!

Then … the Saints ran the ensuing kickoff all the way back for the winning score. Ugh. Can't believe this one is a loss, 24-20.