Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #601
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Uninstall Vista while you are at it

No fucking kidding!. I know people in IT including many on the board here have said they have had no issue deploying Vista but no f#$%ing way as long as I am CISO in my corporation are we rolling to the 20000 + hosts (clients). I would rather wait a bit and go straight to 7.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #602
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Man, I typed a thread post with a bunch of stats and lost it ... don't feel like redoing the numbers.

The gist was this:
* Too many lower seed upsets in the first round and multiple rounds. I've had two teams with double-digit losses win the title and had an 8 vs 10 one season. I know it's a slippery slope but I wouldn't mind seeing a "seed bonus" that tones down upsets.
* Stats look pretty good at first glance other than a couple of minor areas. Assist leaders are way to low (as has been noted earlier) and 3-point shooting leaders are too high -- my leader in 3-point shooting in four seasons has consistently been mid-50s to low-60s, and the leader makes more than 1 additional three per game than the best shooters IRL.

Other numbers look pretty good. Really enjoying it so far!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #603
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
* Too many lower seed upsets in the first round and multiple rounds. I've had two teams with double-digit losses win the title and had an 8 vs 10 one season. I know it's a slippery slope but I wouldn't mind seeing a "seed bonus" that tones down upsets.

A seed bonus? That sounds like a pretty dicey workaround to what seems like a deeper issue, no?

Last edited by sovereignstar : 04-05-2010 at 09:14 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #604
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think a seed bonus is the way to go. I wonder if this is related to the lack of big time talent in freshmen? Especially with steals being toned down, I don't think the top teams are causing as many turnovers on lower-level opponents. I've definitely noticed that during the regular season there are more upsets and closer scorelines, which is not a bad thing really as there were probably too MANY blowouts in the last version, but I wonder if it's maybe too close now. A bump in attributes for the 5-star recruits might make some of the top sides a little stronger come tourney time.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #605
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
For a tempory fix you can drop it to 100 and everything should work. It will also work if I include larger versions of the background images. I need to see if I can't make the game detect if this setting is changed from 100 and react accordingly.

Has this been addressed or do I still need to change my settings down to 100?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #606
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
A seed bonus? That sounds like a pretty dicey workaround to what seems like a deeper issue, no?
Agreed, but I'm not quite sure what the solution is.

Speaking in basic terms, it seems that the variance between a 1-seed and a 16-seed isn't great enough to make an upset the 1 in 100 or less occurrence it should be. Increasing the talent level from top to bottom would seem to disrupt what in the regular season seems to be a pretty good setup. I don't think we're seeing a massive number of upsets in the regular season but we do in the postseason.

I'm for anything that keeps the regular season wins and losses right where they are but tones down the postseason upsets.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #607
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
No fucking kidding!. I know people in IT including many on the board here have said they have had no issue deploying Vista but no f#$%ing way as long as I am CISO in my corporation are we rolling to the 20000 + hosts (clients). I would rather wait a bit and go straight to 7.

The company I work for skipped Vista.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #608
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The company I work for skipped Vista.

Yup I believe it.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #609
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
* Stats look pretty good at first glance other than a couple of minor areas. Assist leaders are way to low (as has been noted earlier) and 3-point shooting leaders are too high -- my leader in 3-point shooting in four seasons has consistently been mid-50s to low-60s, and the leader makes more than 1 additional three per game than the best shooters IRL.

In general the sim engine is very solid, there are some issues. The range of scores needs adjusted IMO, there are too many teams not breaking 30 in games and too many teams breaking 100 in games.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #610
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Agreed, but I'm not quite sure what the solution is.

Speaking in basic terms, it seems that the variance between a 1-seed and a 16-seed isn't great enough to make an upset the 1 in 100 or less occurrence it should be. Increasing the talent level from top to bottom would seem to disrupt what in the regular season seems to be a pretty good setup. I don't think we're seeing a massive number of upsets in the regular season but we do in the postseason.

I'm for anything that keeps the regular season wins and losses right where they are but tones down the postseason upsets.

The talent of incoming freshmen is pretty much fine IMO on the whole, there just isn't that large a jump in the guys at the top. Though partly I think that's also because FBCB doesn't have the same number of underclassmen declaring early, meaning that freshmen are coming in behind highly rated 3rd and 4th year upperclassmen.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #611
Galaril
Pro Starter

I get a "runtime error 62 input past end of file " this is on the new begin career league creation screen?

Last edited by Galaril : 04-05-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #612
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Have you changed any of the default league files? If you edited teams.csv, tourneys.csv, or conf.csv manually and deleted a line you need to change the number at the top of the list to reflect the new number of entries. If you edited it inside the game I need to fix it.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 04-05-2010 at 11:19 PM.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #613
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a link to the demo anywhere? The link in the first post is not working.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #614
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010DEMOSETUP.exe
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #615
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

dola that link is working for me
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #616
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

maybe the caps have something to do with it?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #617
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I got it working.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #618
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Can anyone point me to an "FBCB For Dummies"? I've been trying to get into the original every so often, and I get totally lost with where I am and just give up...

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #619
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

read the manual a little bit, and this link should help

FBCB Strategy - Front Office Football Central
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #620
Emmett13
Mascot

Free throw shooting is still wonky. Still have 60 some guys shooting over 90% from the line. But now the team averages are way to high. The last three seasons, I've had 296, 284 and 289 teams shoot 70% or higher from the line, and 16 over 80%. There hasn't been a team shoot 80% or higher in the last 6 years.

I also don't really care for the computer changing the players positions based on where they see the most minutes. I keep seeing 5'11 and 6'0" 'small forwards', because they are part of at three guard lineup. I liked being able to organize my players into what position I wanted to.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 04-06-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #621
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I forgot to include the updated FBCB.ini file. Change the FTpct value back to 100.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #622
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have you changed any of the default league files? If you edited teams.csv, tourneys.csv, or conf.csv manually and deleted a line you need to change the number at the top of the list to reflect the new number of entries. If you edited it inside the game I need to fix it.

Yes, I added the teams.csv and tourney.csv that Balldog posted here. I will remove them until someone has posted a mod that does that without crash the game. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #623
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I forgot to include the updated FBCB.ini file. Change the FTpct value back to 100.

Will you be releasing a update with that in it or do we just change it? Where do we do that I did not see a file inside the FBCB 2010 folder for it?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #624
Galaril
Pro Starter

I was able to play through my first complete season. Game is great. I did have a few points suggestions:

-It would be great to be able to sim each post season tourney game as opposed to just simming the month and seeing the whole complete tourney. So if the human coached team is not in the tourney have a way to watch or at least auto sim one game at a time from the bracket if this is possible.
-conference selection show it would be nice to have a short pause like 3-5 seconds for each seeding in the bracket to be filled.
-NIT Selection show would be a nice addition at some point.

By the way my post season tourneys all looked good nothing weird like a bunch of upsets. I only so one mini upset in all my brackets for all the tournaments a 11 beating a 5 I think. My final four was two #1s, one#2, and one #4.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #625
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Will you be releasing a update with that in it or do we just change it? Where do we do that I did not see a file inside the FBCB 2010 folder for it?

I reuploaded the update with the ini file included.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v201.zip
Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #626
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If this is now formally released, we need a thread title update again.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #627
whomario
Pro Starter

@ HR : Could you elaborate on the FBCB.ini file, what changes affect what ? Perhaps that way you could get some test results by guys tinkering with it themselves.

In my case a simple question : What´s the "base"/direction for the foreign prospects ? Didn´t notice much change when putting 20 or 80 in there instead of 50 (and yeah, i remembered not to save as txt this time ) , so what is the low and what high for the number of recruits ?

also, what are the plans exactly with the "admissions requirement" ?

Last edited by whomario : 04-06-2010 at 02:18 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #628
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The game has officially been released on Grey Dog:

Grey Dog Software
Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #629
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

just a quick heads up, the word "Play" on the features pages is "DPlay" for some reason, other than that, it looks good!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #630
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yes, I added the teams.csv and tourney.csv that Balldog posted here. I will remove them until someone has posted a mod that does that without crash the game. Thanks.

Hmm....interesting, I have yet to have a crash with those files.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #631
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Finally remembered how I crashed the game. In the first season of a league if you click on awards it brings up the overall award winners with placeholder text -- i.e. Brian Nichols, player of the year, etc. But if you try to change conferences you get a crash -- should have noted the error when it happened.

Only seems to affect the first season of a league, and most people won't try to look up awards in the first season. But if they do it's trouble.

Having a blast with the game, Brian! Great job!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #632
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
@ HR : Could you elaborate on the FBCB.ini file, what changes affect what ? Perhaps that way you could get some test results by guys tinkering with it themselves.

In my case a simple question : What´s the "base"/direction for the foreign prospects ? Didn´t notice much change when putting 20 or 80 in there instead of 50 (and yeah, i remembered not to save as txt this time ) , so what is the low and what high for the number of recruits ?

also, what are the plans exactly with the "admissions requirement" ?

I'm going to keep working on expanding the game manual. I'll need to do a section for the FBCB.ini file. The foreign talent section is the percentage of foreign recruits that keep their normal talent levels. Those that receive a reduction in talent lose on average 10% of their abilities. The goal was to reduce the number of high level recruits without killing the entire foreign recruiting pool.

The idea for the admissions requirement was to offer 3 levels of requirements for getting into the school. I hadn't decided what the levels would be yet. I don't know if I should do set levels for GPA and test score or use a sliding scale like the default eligibility requirements. The qualified only vs all players filter would then pick up the requirements for the school you are controlling. I'll also likely need to check out the distribution of academic performance among the recruits in order to do it.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #633
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Finally remembered how I crashed the game. In the first season of a league if you click on awards it brings up the overall award winners with placeholder text -- i.e. Brian Nichols, player of the year, etc. But if you try to change conferences you get a crash -- should have noted the error when it happened.

Only seems to affect the first season of a league, and most people won't try to look up awards in the first season. But if they do it's trouble.

I'll take a look. The game isn't supposed to take you to that screen unless at least one season of awards have been announced and at that point it should find the data for the awards.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #634
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Has this been addressed or do I still need to change my settings down to 100?

For now it needs to be 100% or 96dpi. For the other option I need to make larger versions of every image for the game so I've been waiting until the images were finalized.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #635
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
I was able to play through my first complete season. Game is great. I did have a few points suggestions:

-It would be great to be able to sim each post season tourney game as opposed to just simming the month and seeing the whole complete tourney. So if the human coached team is not in the tourney have a way to watch or at least auto sim one game at a time from the bracket if this is possible.

It sounds like you are simming from the Hot Seat screen only. You can sim any number of days there by highlighting the day you want to sim to. You can also sim from the league schedule screen where you can see the scores as they occur.

Quote:
conference selection show it would be nice to have a short pause like 3-5 seconds for each seeding in the bracket to be filled.

Something like that wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #636
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Brian, just want to say that your work on this release and the subsequent support have been the best I have ever seen. Keep up the great work my friend!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #637
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
I'll take a look. The game isn't supposed to take you to that screen unless at least one season of awards have been announced and at that point it should find the data for the awards.

This is fixed. I was blocking it if accessed from the history menu but not from the regular menu.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #638
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Brian, just want to say that your work on this release and the subsequent support have been the best I have ever seen. Keep up the great work my friend!

Thank you. I can honestly say I got to this point because of some of the comments in the old suggestions thread. They provided me the motivation to start working again and the reason to switch to working on the college game. In the past I've spent too much time worrying about things that I can't control. Hopefully that issue won't come back but that is just the way my mind works.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #639
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I can't wait to get started on my first FBCB2 career as a Youngstown State Fightin' Penguin. I will refrain from asking if you still have plans to follow this up with a new version of the pro game, even though you did just say that motivation and encouragement from your customers helps.

(/passive aggressive mode)

Last edited by LloydLungs : 04-06-2010 at 09:57 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #640
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Hmm....interesting, I have yet to have a crash with those files.

I am missing something from what Brian posted earlier. I put the two files in my FBCB 2010 folder but he mentioned I had to change something or add something to the .ini for the game or it will not work?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #641
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
It sounds like you are simming from the Hot Seat screen only. You can sim any number of days there by highlighting the day you want to sim to. You can also sim from the league schedule screen where you can see the scores as they occur.

Something like that wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #642
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I purchased yesterday.

The game engine is great. I simmed 2 seasons of games watching at fastest speed and am very impressed with the game flow as it seems almost spot on. My gophers would play a ranked team tough at home before the ranked team pulls away by 4-8 points at the end. This seemed very realistic to me.

I had a dreadful first year finishing 10-21 with a couple of key injuries however in year two I was 20-11 and was announced as a 12th seed. After the tournament show I got that dreaded Microsoft error and it shut down the game.

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not as my computer is messed up since I got a virus last month. My registry is screwed up and I get the blue screen of death a couple times a week now.

So far I am very impressed other than with my worthless computer.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #643
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you see it again let me know what the error message was. That will give tell me if its something the game is doing or if something is interfering.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #644
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you see it again let me know what the error message was. That will give tell me if its something the game is doing or if something is interfering.

Its that error message coming from Microsoft asking if you want to send a report. When you click send or do not send the game will close. I dont recall it having an actual error message.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-07-2010 at 03:12 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #645
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Its that error message coming from Microsoft asking if you want to send a report. When you click send or do not send the game will close. I dont recall it having an actual error message.

There is a box where you can see what it's going to send that has the info HR is looking for.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #646
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

The idea for the admissions requirement was to offer 3 levels of requirements for getting into the school. I hadn't decided what the levels would be yet. I don't know if I should do set levels for GPA and test score or use a sliding scale like the default eligibility requirements. The qualified only vs all players filter would then pick up the requirements for the school you are controlling. I'll also likely need to check out the distribution of academic performance among the recruits in order to do it.

Awesome. I'm glad that you are working on this, HR!
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #647
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Ok. Run time errors are always game related. That error can be a wide range of things but does tend to be windows or antivirus running while playing related.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #648
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
For now it needs to be 100% or 96dpi. For the other option I need to make larger versions of every image for the game so I've been waiting until the images were finalized.

Enjoying the new game so far, even though I'm one of those having to change the dpi back and forth. Can you let us know when you get the larger images ready please? Thanks!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #649
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Will do.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #650
korme
Go Reds

I downloaded the full version with intent to buy, but I'm double clicking on the FBCB icon on my desktop and nothing pops up. I'm on Windows 7. Any work arounds to just opening the program? Heh.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote