Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

RIP RBG and possibly the American Justice system

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/polit...8T23%3A40%3A51

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

Oh fucking shit no. I am not sure how they do it but D’s need to hold off any Trump appointees now matter what has to be done. RIP Justice Ginsburg.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-18-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Absolutely awful. And the GOP will be celebrating this as an opportunity to overturn Roe v Wade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is going to be bad. McConnell has 3 months to ram it through. To be honest, she should have resigned during Obama's first two years (when he had 60 Senators).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fuck. Fuck you, 2020.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

If they do, the D's will PACK the court with 15 justices. Fuck this. The SC was the entire outcome of the 2016 election, and all the fuckers who couldn't see that through everything in 2016 else fucked this country over totally and completely.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

And the hypocrite Turtle won't hesitate to confirm someone, unlike last time. This might be the final death knell of the country.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
JPhillips
General Manager

Dems will complain. McConnell will fill the seat. Dems will say they did their best. Biden will urge us to move forward and respect the court's legitimacy. The Court will strike down the ACA 5-4. And welcome to the return of Lochner.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

R.I.P. to a great woman in U.S. history.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Sad to see.

One more nail in the coffin. Division your name is 2020.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
Warhammer
Pro Starter

All those losing their minds, take solace in that there have been far more justices that have swung more liberal than expected vs the other way around in the recent past.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

Honestly, if all this comes to pass that we fear, it will drive me further toward some ideas and concepts for revolution aren't such bad ideas, and that isn't a good place to be.

Like Steam?

Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

I think social issues won't change a ton. The people paying for the justices only care about the financial and business stuff. The social stuff is just a wedge issue for dumb voters. If anything I think they would like to keep that carrot dangling.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

It's been said, but it's sad how much national significance there is to whether an 87-year old with pancreatic cancer can survive another few months.

Politics aside, I've always been a fan of the idea of a bigger court. I liked Buttigieg's 15-justice plan. All of the federal circuits, and many state appellate courts, have more appellate judges than sit on any one particular case. I always preferred that. I've argued at the 9th Circuit court of appeals, and state appellate courts, and having there be a bit of mystery as to who's on your panel just makes everything feel more genuine somehow. You're not just writing and preparing and arguing to appeal to individual people.

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2020 at 07:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #15
tarcone
Coordinator

The only solace I take is that I trust these people on the court take their job seriously and professionally. They do not play party politics and do what is best for our country.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #16
Jas_lov
College Starter

Are there any Republicans that will say just wait until the winner of the 2020 election is inaugurated in Jan to fill the seat? Romney, Collins, Murkowski? Grassley said he wouldn't consider one in 2020 but I fully expect him to fall in line with the rest to get to 50.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The only solace I take is that I trust these people on the court take their job seriously and professionally. They do not play party politics and do what is best for our country.

lol
Old 09-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bush v. Gore comes to mind...
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Are there any Republicans that will say just wait until the winner of the 2020 election is inaugurated in Jan to fill the seat? Romney, Collins, Murkowski? Grassley said he wouldn't consider one in 2020 but I fully expect him to fall in line with the rest to get to 50.

I'd be surprised. Collins is looking like toast in Maine and this will make her Kavanaugh confirmation look worse to voters, but she tends to fall in line when pushed. Romney isn't a fan of Trump, but he is a big believer in conservative ideals and probably see's this as a chance to keep conservative ideals going for the next couple decades.

Edit: I do think if Mitch can't get this done before the election and Biden wins it get much more difficult for him to get a justice pushed through.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-18-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Honestly, if all this comes to pass that we fear, it will drive me further toward some ideas and concepts for revolution aren't such bad ideas, and that isn't a good place to be.

Yes agreed
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just saw the list Trump had released last week for potential SC Justice replacements on it is Ted Cruz, Josh Harley, Tom Cotton.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-18-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty simple solution. If McConnell doesn't stand by his stance, Democrats will add 2 justices after the election.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Murkowski - who isn't worth a damn for anything anyway - already did.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #24
JPhillips
General Manager

I like the idea of term limits so that every 4 year Presidential term has the same number of court appointments. If not that, then greatly increase the number of seats. These court battles are far too high stakes to be healthy for the nation.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #25
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Pretty simple solution. If McConnell doesn't stand by his stance, Democrats will add 2 justices after the election.

Yes, this is the response for all the Dems, but I doubt they will even threaten that much less carry it out.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #26
Jas_lov
College Starter

Dems wouldn't even vote on the marijuana bill that has 2/3rds support. They won't do anything but send angry tweets and strongly worded letters.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

GOOD ONE HAR HAR HAR
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

First off RIP Ginsburg. Her legacy will last long past her death.

Second. I'm already seeing quotes. interviews, etc from the last few years from Senate Republicans saying that no new justice should be nominated/pushed through in the last year of a President's last term. Reporters, Democratic parties in their states, newspapers, social media, etc should hold their feet to the fire and make sure they see those quotes and interviews every day until election day. Make sure its brought up in every debate (if they have any these days). Murkowski from Alaska has already said tonight that they should not nominate one now. Collins said in an interview recently that they shouldn't-hold them to it.

Third, I'm wondering if the Chief Justice and RBG talked about this especially after RBG herself said no one should be nominated until there is a new (or current Pres gets reelected), Have all the Justices come together and make it clear that no new Justice will be accepted until the new term. Make up a rule just like McConnell did with Garland.

Fourth, any organization out there sue McConnell if he tries to pull a fast one and have it drag out in the courts till after the election. I know McGrath hasn't been polling well against McConnell, but use RBG's death to bring one last charge to her side if he tries to push someone through. Kentucky got a Democratic gov elected last term, so there's enough Dems to get McConnell out too. Every Dem Congressmen should rally with McGrath, and every one who ran for the Dem Presidential nomination this year too. Organize like never before and get McConnell out of there.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #29
miami_fan
Coordinator

Just in case you thought he wouldn't, he would

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/18/trum...nell-says.html

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

RIP RBG
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #30
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
in what world did voters expand a Republican majority in 2018
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

2? I'm thinking 6.

Like Steam?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #32
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
in what world did voters expand a Republican majority in 2018

GOP went from 51 seats to 53 in 2018 because Dems were defending seats in MO, IN and ND. And that Bill Nelson loss in FL really stings now.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/JimDabakis/statu...454044160?s=19

Looks like Romney won't vote to confirm anyone until after inauguration day. Him and Murkowski. Collins has to come out for it if she wants to chance to win. And then they would need one more: Grassley?

Old 09-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #34
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
https://twitter.com/JimDabakis/statu...454044160?s=19

Looks like Romney won't vote to confirm anyone until after inauguration day. Him and Murkowski. Collins has to come out for it if she wants to chance to win. And then they would need one more: Grassley?

They'll cave in a week. That's what they do.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #35
Jas_lov
College Starter

Grassley and Graham have said in the past they wouldn't consider a nominee in 2020 but that means nothing now. I saw someone say on twitter that Mark Kelly could be sworn in on Nov. 30 if he wins since McSally is an appointee.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

You guys are bursting my already blown up bubble.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #37
JPhillips
General Manager

Romney's office says that's not accurate.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #38
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

And Graham has repeatedly said the opposite in the last year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #39
kingfc22
Head Coach

Fuck 2020
Old 09-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #40
JPhillips
General Manager

It's worth using these words against the people that said them for the politics, but they simply won't care. Even before this, the GOP understood how close they were to semi-permanent minority rule. They won't pull back from that just because Jake Tapper calls them hypocrites.

edit: This is what the Dems need to understand. The GOP can't be shamed. If you want to win, you need to fight with all of the tools at your disposal. Make it clear that filling the seat will lead to expanded courts.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-18-2020 at 10:36 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's worth using these words against the people that said them for the politics, but they simply won't care. Even before this, the GOP understood how close they were to semi-permanent minority rule. They won't pull back from that just because Jake Tapper calls them hypocrites.

edit: This is what the Dems need to understand. The GOP can't be shamed. If you want to win, you need to fight with all of the tools at your disposal. Make it clear that filling the seat will lead to expanded courts.

Dems have never been in it to win. Just a bunch of losers playing dress-up.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:59 AM   #42
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Standby for McConnell saying that it is his duty to instate another justice immediately...

in 5....4....3....2...1....
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:28 AM   #43
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Anybody able to explain how that would work ? I was under the assumption the Supreme Court was one of those "set in stone" things nowadays, where in theory it can be altered but not in practice ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #44
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

You just nominate and confirm new justices. It's actually the other way around; it's only set at 9 justices because we decided to keep it there. No law requires it to stay there. We could have it at 3 or 300 or whatever we want.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #45
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I agree with the first sentence. I do think they have their own beliefs on "right and wrong" and naturally slot better into a political category. I'm all for going through the process and seeing where things fall (regardless of the hypocrisy of McConnell).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

RIP.

I don't know if this is how she felt or if she really, really enjoyed her work so much that she was happy to continue to work until death.

But I feel sorry for Ginsburg and can't help but feel she should have had the opportunity to walk away and really, really enjoy last months/years of her life with family, doing her bucket list etc. without having the extreme pressure/obligation to hang on till the next election.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-19-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:18 AM   #47
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
You just nominate and confirm new justices. It's actually the other way around; it's only set at 9 justices because we decided to keep it there. No law requires it to stay there. We could have it at 3 or 300 or whatever we want.
And it is jut a standard law to change it (House, Senate and President's signature).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #48
JPhillips
General Manager

Based on the timeline, a week after the election, and the fact that a tied SCOTUS means the lower court ruling stands, the ACA is almost certain to be struck down now. I can't see where a fifth vote to uphold the law comes from.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So the republican propaganda machine is already saying the reason McConnell held things up in 2016 was because we had a dem president and a republican senate, which isn't the case this time around. Does anyone recall if they stated back then that was the reason why?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #50
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
RIP.

I don't know if this is how she felt or if she really, really enjoyed her work so much that she was happy to continue to work until death.

But I feel sorry for Ginsburg and can't help but feel she should have had the opportunity to walk away and really, really enjoy last months/years of her life with family, doing her bucket list etc. without having the extreme pressure/obligation to hang on till the next election.

I read that she planned to retire under President Hillary Clinton, but when Trump won, she felt (correctly IMO) that she needed to soldier on.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote