Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

FOF8 > FOF9?

I know, damn 8 just came out why are you throwing crap out about 9 or later versions. Let's just say I am thinking out loud and interested in seeing what this mob thinks and what types of changes would you want/like that would add even more to the game. So to begin with, a few of the things that have I have come up with:

(1) Staff Draft: A couple of points I wouldn’t mind seeing rolled in.

Head Coaches: Head coaches can only be poached if both teams agree and the signing team gives up a 2nd round draft pick in the upcoming draft.

Other staff: Any other staff that is poached but “not” offered a head coaching position comes with a cost:

Assistant head coach: 3rd round draft pick in the upcoming draft.
Offensive/Defensive Coordinator: 4th round draft pick in the upcoming draft.
Strength coach: 6th round draft pick in the upcoming draft.

These draft picks cannot be traded and must be utilized by the gaining team in the upcoming draft.

Why? IMO there is an inherent disparity in the game staff draft system today. The rich get richer in that they have every opportunity to improve their staff every season while those struggling to put a franchise together suffer due to their lack of fund raising abilities and are often left with “next best”. This seems to amplified in long running leagues in that owners come and go and most inherit a team that has a number of issues, one being their finances. At least with the “cost” outlined above the team losing staff has additional opportunity to build from and improve their franchise which may translate into and aid in improving finances.

(2) Practice squad: Implement a 10 player practice squad addition to a team roster. This will allow a team to contract players that may develop but more so it will provide additional depth to aid injury coverage. This may reduce the need for commissioners to have to run or receive mid-week requests that allow owners to fill rosters due to injury.

(3) Goal line/short yardage plays: To be able to incorporate a Jumbo option in which we can bring in an offensive or defensive lineman as a tight end, fullback or running back.

(4) Single Player: Add the possibility of starting various careers and/or career paths.

GM: You function as the outright GM, only. Hire/fire head coach, player contract negotiations, engage with staff in draft decisions, initiate trades. You must satisfy an owners objectives; make the playoffs in 3 years, win a super bowl in a certain period of time, etc. The GM will not engage in game planning or assigning starters.

Head Coach: You hire/fire staff. Satisfy a GM/Owners objectives. Assign position players and starters, support creating game plans. Identify needs to the GM. After a successful career have the possibility of being offered a franchise GM role.

“New Twist”: Start a career as a coordinator; either offensive or defensive. Support the head coaches objectives; top ranked offense or defense, etc. Create specific game plans supporting your player capabilities against the upcoming opponent. At the end of the season each coordinator is ranked and depending upon career standings and 1) upon meeting assigned objectives retains their job or 2) may be extended an offer to become a head coach in another franchise. This career path option should be difficult enough to require a series of consistent quality seasons where you are ranked in the top 5-10 league coaches.

(5) Would love to see the solevision and scoreboard screens combined into one screen displaying most, if not all of the same data. For me the scoreboard lacks the stat feedback and solevision loses out on the game field and play calling options.

(6) Defensively to have the ability to create defensive packages that would reflect coverage options for specific offensive packages. Including personnel package options for each.

(7) Being one that enjoys screwing around with the visuals would be to have more flexibility in modding the game screens. It has come a long way from earlier versions but is still difficult to manipulate. Tried altering the font size settings the other day using reshack from 8pt to 10pt. The alteration seemed to take fine in reshack but the game wouldn’t run which is likely a Steam configuration control issue.

NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
crusher78
n00b

Love the career path ideas
crusher78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

#7 while you can't change the font size.. you can change the font, which for me, will make it easier to read. I have a post on here on how to change it, which you might already know.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Option to remove playcalling in SP/MP and just play as a GM.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
henry296
College Starter

I'd like to to see the IR- designated to return option
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Would love to see tje Draft process more developed...

* Combine in indianapolis
* Pro Days
* Individual workouts
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

This. I can't buy another version of this game until I'm not forced to micromanage stuff. Every other text sim gives you the ability to effectively play as a GM or hands-off. It's a must-have.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
thrym
Mascot

I agree with everything here, INCLUDING the replies!!! Would love to see more control of the graphics and the text but gotta say, the path idea is tops on my wish list.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
This. I can't buy another version of this game until I'm not forced to micromanage stuff. Every other text sim gives you the ability to effectively play as a GM or hands-off. It's a must-have.
What are y'all wanting to do that you can't already do with the game settings?
Set the 2-4 to "Yes," and I'm not sure what else you're looking for the game to do for you.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
kosar19
n00b

I'd like to see coach stability as the biggest factor in cohesion. Lose your head coach, cohesion takes a hit across board. Off Coord and Def Coord affect their units, etc.
kosar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
nexttwelveexits
n00b

I like the idea for coach stability/cohesion. And I agree that too many coaches are amenable to lateral moves, though I'd prefer to see that fixed by having the amenability go WAY down for coaches who are currently under contract (unless it's an upward move - you should be able to poach assistant coaches to be your coordinator).

Practice squad - in the NFL, if I remember my facts correctly, the practice squad is 7 players (bringing a roster total up to 60) and other teams can sign players off your practice squad. I wouldn't mind seeing a PS but it seems like something that will be a lot of work while also not adding a lot of real functionality if you want to keep it similar to the way it works in the real world (which I'd prefer in most cases).
nexttwelveexits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
Squirrel
Mascot

I'd love to see compensatory picks added
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #13
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
I'd love to see compensatory picks added