Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #3201
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This is the one that they use to do the various "Hitler is pissed off about X" youtube clips, right?

Correct.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #3202
RainMaker
General Manager

The Hammer (7 out of 10) - Small independent film written and starred by Adam Carolla. About a guy who is 40 who becomes an amateur boxer. If you like his humor and his style of ranting, you'll probably like this film to some degree. I'm not a big fan of comedies these days but have to say this is one of the better ones out there. Lot of subtle jokes and a good date movie that guys will enjoy. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but I'd throw it on your Netflix queue. Not a bad way to kill an hour and a half.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-30-2009 at 12:06 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #3203
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Watched a number of movies over the weekend:

Sweeney Todd (6 / 10): I'm normally not one for musicals, but I figured I'd give this one a look-see because of Tim Burton. Burton is like playing Russian Roulette with movies; sometimes he's brilliant (Edward Scissorhands) and sometimes you're left saying "WTF was that?!?!" (Mars Attacks). I was rather surprised to say that this one was somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed it well enough, and the singing wasn't as much of a distraction as I often find it to be in musicals. And in case anyone was wondering, Alan Rickmann can't sing. At all. Not even a little bit.

Star Trek (8 / 10): I really enjoyed Abrams' take on Star Trek...one of the most "just plain fun" movies I've seen in quite a while. Two things stand out in particular to me; the in-story explanation of how/why this is different than the original series, and the relationship between Spock and Kirk. Going in I was a little concerned about Zachary Quinto. I was worried that I'd look at him and say to myself "Oh look, there's Sylar trying to be Spock," but I had nothing to worry about. From the first raised eyebrow, he had me convinced he was indeed everyone's favorite Vulcan.

The Machine Girl (3 / 10): A mediocre little piece of Japanese hyper-violence. It's a classic story, really. Ami is a happy Japanese schoolgirl, until her little brother is murdered by the son of a Yakuza boss. So she seeks revenge, but gets her arm cut off in the process. Undaunted, she gets a machinegun attached to her stump and proceeds to extract bloody vengeance. And when I say bloody, I do mean bloody. We're talking geysers of blood and mounds of gore here...I'm not exaggerating. The squeamish need not apply.

Equilibrium (8 / 10): Christian Bale may be a whiny b*tch in real life, but they guy sure can act. This was an interesting take on the "dark future" genre, and Bale does a fantastic job of acting like a man trying hard to hide his emotions...a difficult thing to do without coming across as a lifeless automaton. A really good combination of fine acting (props to Sean Bean as well) and some really excellent gun-play choreography...I highly recommend it.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #3204
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Fanboys - 7/10 : I wash hoping for Star Wars meets Road Trip, but seems like that they could have done more with the movie and poked more fun at themselves, but there were some parts of the movie that just didn't seem to mesh well. Oh, and those questions there were asking the Star Wars fans are the equivalent of asking someone to spell dog or cat. Oh, and the blue box 12" Luke on Tauntaun wasn't released until 2002....

I'll back away now...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-01-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #3205
DataKing
Pro Rookie

My Name is Bruce (6.5 / 10): If you're a fan of Bruce Campbell (as I am), I'm positive you'll enjoy this movie. If you don't like Bruce Campbell's stuff, don't bother...you won't get it. The entire premise of the movie is that a small town has trouble with a supernatural creature, so they kidnap Bruce Campbell to help them fight the creature (since that's what he's know for in Army of Darkness, Bubba Hotep, etc). It's cheesy and rather silly, as any Campbell fan would expect, and more than met my suitably low expectations.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #3206
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post

The Machine Girl (3 / 10): A mediocre little piece of Japanese hyper-violence. It's a classic story, really. Ami is a happy Japanese schoolgirl, until her little brother is murdered by the son of a Yakuza boss. So she seeks revenge, but gets her arm cut off in the process. Undaunted, she gets a machinegun attached to her stump and proceeds to extract bloody vengeance. And when I say bloody, I do mean bloody. We're talking geysers of blood and mounds of gore here...I'm not exaggerating. The squeamish need not apply.

'The Machine Girl' is a good time....I mean, it's no 'Tokyo Gore Police', but what is?
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #3207
Butter
Coordinator

Revolutionary Road - 9

I knew this would probably be a hard film to watch, as it is somewhat about two young twenty-somethings who meet, have kids, and move out to the suburbs and how crap that life is to some people. I thought it would hit close to home. But it didn't really at all, because the two main characters are so messed up in their own ways that it is completely unrelatable to my personal life, even as the circumstances of their life are completely understandable. Sometimes, I do feel like they do, like it would be so great just to pick up and leave your old life behind and actually live a life outside of the typical corporate job stuff and somewhere outside of your comfort zone, because at times the repetitiveness of it all becomes difficult to deal with. But that's the trick, really. How do you deal with it? Where do you get joy? If it's not out of the person or people you love and live your life with, then you are going to have problems. And that's where the problems start in this movie, but hardly where they end. They use a comic sort of device in the movie, in that they have an actual crazy person come in and visit... and he lays out in no uncertain terms what the problems are. A kind of demented Greek chorus. But not truly, in that he is part of the beginning of the chain reaction that begins to bring the character's lives down around them.

A really interesting movie about suburban life and how you choose to live it. Also, great for making you appreciate the completely non-crazy person you have married/shacked up with.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #3208
Schmidty
Coordinator

Up - 10/10

This was the best Pixar movie to date, and the best movie I've seen this year. I don't cry at movies, but this one had me going a few times. The way I look at it, unless you are emotionally bankrupt, you'll love this film.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #3209
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Up - 10/10

This was the best Pixar movie to date, and the best movie I've seen this year. I don't cry at movies, but this one had me going a few times. The way I look at it, unless you are emotionally bankrupt, you'll love this film.

So you're telling me I wont like it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #3210
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So you're telling me I wont like it?

Yes.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #3211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Going to see Night at the Museum at the Imax in a little bit. It will be my first Imax experience, looking forward to it.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #3212
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Up - 10/10

Aww, that's cute. We're gonna go see it next weekend I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Going to see Night at the Museum at the Imax in a little bit. It will be my first Imax experience, looking forward to it.

Oooh you're gonna love it! I don't know much about Night at the Museum, but for nature type shows, that's the place to see 'em.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-06-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #3213
tarcone
Coordinator

Gran Torino-- 9.5/10

Wow. What a great movie. This is one of Clints best. And that is saying alot. I really got involved with the characters. I really cared for all of the protagonists and hated all the antagonists. I laughed, I cried. And I really laughed at the end. Take that granddaughter
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #3214
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Gran Torino-- 9.5/10

Wow. What a great movie. This is one of Clints best. And that is saying alot. I really got involved with the characters. I really cared for all of the protagonists and hated all the antagonists. I laughed, I cried. And I really laughed at the end. Take that granddaughter

Was it as good as his last one - The Changling?
Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #3215
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Up - 10/10

What if you're morally corrupt? Will you still love it?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #3216
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Going to see The Hangover today. Pretty sure im gonna love the shit out of it.

-This space reserved for the number 10-

And just as I suspected. 10/10. Glorious fun.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-12-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #3217
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
What if you're morally corrupt? Will you still love it?

Yes, Angel fans should like it too.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #3218
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Going to see The Hangover today. Pretty sure im gonna love the shit out of it.

-This space reserved for the number 10-

I saw this Friday night and really enjoyed it. I'd probably give it an 8.5 or a 9.0.It is definitely good stuff. Zach Galifianakis steals the show as you'd expect. I liked finally seeing him in a genuinely funny movie.

Laughs throughout, and most importantly I didn't think it tried to tack on a forced moral lesson or awakening like a lot of the Apatow-like films have been doing.

There's one specific character that is just too over the top and doesn't fit in well, and you'll immediately know who I'm talking about when you see it. They'd tried a little too hard with him, but he's a small part so it's not a big deal. (No, not talking about Tyson).

Highly recommend it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #3219
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Taken - 6.5/10.0

Probably more of a 5, but Liam Neeson made the movie at least watchable for me. Not the kind of movie you dissect, just sit back and watch. It did that well, and I can't complain.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #3220
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I saw this Friday night and really enjoyed it. I'd probably give it an 8.5 or a 9.0.It is definitely good stuff. Zach Galifianakis steals the show as you'd expect. I liked finally seeing him in a genuinely funny movie.

Laughs throughout, and most importantly I didn't think it tried to tack on a forced moral lesson or awakening like a lot of the Apatow-like films have been doing.

There's one specific character that is just too over the top and doesn't fit in well, and you'll immediately know who I'm talking about when you see it. They'd tried a little too hard with him, but he's a small part so it's not a big deal. (No, not talking about Tyson).

Highly recommend it.

I second this. Very funny. The credits alone are worth going to see, once you have seen the movie (credits wouldn't make sense otherwise).

Calis, is the character you're talking about...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #3221
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I second this. Very funny. The credits alone are worth going to see, once you have seen the movie (credits wouldn't make sense otherwise).

Calis, is the character you're talking about...

Spoiler

Yep Chief, that's the one. Agree with what you said also. The character wasn't terrible by any means either, it just seemed like they decided to throw out everything they could with the character and hope something stuck. I still laughed got a couple laughs even from those scenes so I can't complain much. It was more a nitpick than anything, and I think most of the theatre I was in wouldn't agree with me.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #3222
desmond108
n00b

Land of the Lost 7.5/10
Simply on the basis of the absurd humor of Will Ferrell.
desmond108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #3223
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Cypher (7 / 10): A relatively good techno-thriller which was a pleasant surprise. Lucy Liu was her usual emotional-black-hole self, but Jeremy Northam was quite good, and the movie had a pretty good twist at the end. Nothing earth-shattering here, but some solid entertainment.

Saving Private Ryan (9.5 / 10): I make it a point to watch this movie once a year, every June 6th, and it still gets to me every time. I still find the opening sequence on the beach jarring, even though I've seen it numerous times. A fantastic movie, but not for the faint of heart or easily disturbed. Also one of those movies where I notice something new every time I see it. This time I was really struck by Paul Giamatti's performance given his limited screen time. (Note: As far as I am concerned, Schindler's List is the only Spielberg movie in the last quarter-century worth a perfect 10 score).

The Deer Hunter (8 / 10): I can see why this film was so highly-acclaimed when it first came out, and it still carries quite a bit of emotional content, but I think it's somewhat dated now. It does an admirable job of showing the emotional impact of war both on soldiers as well as loved ones left behind. However, the scenes meant to display the horrors of Vietnam may have been shocking in 1978, but no longer hold the same impact (due in no small part to moves like Saving Private Ryan).

Next on the Netflix queue is...wait for it....Zombie Strippers starring Jenna Jameson. Should be fun.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #3224
Bad-example
College Starter

The Happening - 2/10 Wow...this one stunk. From Marky Mark's "acting" to the ridiculous menacing shots of trees and grass, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Wahlberg was even worse than usual and the plot was completely laughable. In fact the suicide scenes were actually quite funny. This one should have been a comedy.

Last edited by Bad-example : 06-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #3225
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Cypher (7 / 10): A relatively good techno-thriller which was a pleasant surprise. Lucy Liu was her usual emotional-black-hole self, but Jeremy Northam was quite good, and the movie had a pretty good twist at the end. Nothing earth-shattering here, but some solid entertainment.

Yes, this was an entertaining ride. Recommended.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #3226
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond108 View Post
Land of the Lost 7.5/10
Simply on the basis of the absurd humor of Will Ferrell.

I'm confused.

Did the absurd humor of Will Ferrell make it better or worse?

I find him VERY hit or miss. Loved Old School, elf and hated Talladegga Nights with a passion.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #3227
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
The Happening - 2/10 Wow...this one stunk. From Marky Mark's "acting" to the ridiculous menacing shots of trees and grass, this is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Wahlberg was even worse than usual and the plot was completely laughable. In fact the suicide scenes were actually quite funny. This one should have been a comedy.

The best thing from this movie is the comedy my wife and I have enjoyed since watching it. Just small things make me laugh such as the other day we were throwing a frisbee while our daughter was playing in the backyard and the wind started to blow all of the trees/grass/plants around a good bit. Suddenly she just froze while I was looking at her trying to figure out what was going on. She slowly started walking backwards expressionless and I just started laughing after I finally caught on....

Oh yeah, this movie was not good

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #3228
Bad-example
College Starter

Wall-E (incomplete/10) Couldn't get past the first five minutes. Hey, I am a diabetic! A movie this sickeningly sweet could be fatal.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #3229
rowech
Pro Starter

Deja Vu (7/10) -- Doesn't stand out because it was pretty obvious to me where things were going about halfway through the movie. Nevertheless a pretty good movie in my opinion.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #3230
molson
General Manager

12 (8.5/10)

This is the Russian adaptation of 12 Angry Men. Really well done. For some reason I found a lot of it hillarious - some combination of Russian gallow's humor and just the absurdity of these characters, and using the jury system in a Russian culture.

They had to fudge a little Russian law to make this work but the basic facts from the American original work really well here. For example, the case revolves around a knife, which is the weapon of choice and huge part of the culture of Chechnya and the Caucasus (and the defendant is a young Chechnian)

Last edited by molson : 06-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #3231
stevew
Hall Of Famer

UP 9/10
It's hard to be perfect, but this nearly was. Very entertaining story, and once you get past the baloon house gimmick, it's very easy to get engrossed. The first act was kind of sad, but they handled it appropriately IMO

The Spirit-1/10
Honestly this was like way too LOLBad to even get involved in. I couldn't finish it(fast forwarded to the part where Eva Mendes briefly shows her ass though).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #3232
DataKing
Pro Rookie

It's going to be another day or two before I get to the much-anticipated () review of Zombie Strippers, but in the meantime...

Street Kings (5 / 10): Somewhere along the lines Keanu Reeves decided to try to be more of a hard-edge actor (this, Constantine, etc) but it just doesn't work. He's still the acting equivalent of a wet blanket. In this one he tries to play the frazzled burned-out cop but it just doesn't work. However, despite that and a rather lackluster performance by Forest Whitaker, I was still moderately entertained. I think partially because I've always been a sucker for burned-out, anti-hero type cop shows, dating all the way back to Miami Vice (the TV show, not that god-awful POS movie they did a few years ago). And Hugh Laurie (the lead in House) was excellent.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #3233
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
UP 9/10
It's hard to be perfect, but this nearly was. Very entertaining story, and once you get past the baloon house gimmick, it's very easy to get engrossed. The first act was kind of sad, but they handled it appropriately IMO

+1. I don't think I reviewed this movie in here, but I give it a 9/10 as well. I liked Wall-E more, but only because I'm a sci-fi nerd. Up was really incredible.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #3234
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hangover - 4/10

trailers ruined it. i laughed 3 times. everyone else loves it, so i must be wrong. but i did not like this movie. no sir. not at all.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #3235
samifan24
Pro Starter

House of Games - 9/10

I thoroughly enjoyed David Mamet's 1987 directorial debut. If you like noir, you need to watch this one. That's all I'll say. The less you know about the plot going on, the more you'll like it.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #3236
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Last movie in Cinema : Up. We saw it, as a family, at the first local showing, on opening day. Great flick. Pixar puts out great animation, but the films really win with the quality of the characters.

Last movie watched: streamed My Name Is Bruce from Netflix the other night. It was even better than I thought it would be. Anybody who likes Bruce Campbell, or at least is in touch with his movie legacy, reputation, fan base, etc, should have a good time watching that.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #3237
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Synecdoche, NY - Incomplete/10: I guess I should preface this by saying I am a big Charlie Kaufman fan. I loved Adaptation and Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine is one of my all time favs. That said, I could not get behind this one. The characters were flat, the plot felt stale and the "experimental" elements were tacked on. We turned in off after 45 minutes, so it may have picked up after that. The main relationship in the movie was so bad, my girlfriend and I moped around the house in a funk for the rest of the night. Oh, and she never turns anything off; if she watches 5 minutes of a show she needs to see the end. But she didn't protest when I asked to turn this off. I think that's the most damning thing I could say.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #3238
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Was it as good as his last one - The Changling?

This one I have not seen.
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #3239
rowech
Pro Starter

Gran Torino (10/10) -- Loved it. Not a bad scene in the movie in my opinion. Thought Eastwood was fantastic. I'm fairly certain this was a big f-u to Spike Lee's criticism about their not being any minorities in Flags of Our Fathers. So Eastwood makes a movie where he is just about the only white character in a sea of minority characters.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #3240
Swaggs
Coordinator

Land of the Lost (1/10) -- the worst movie I have seen, in a theater, in a long, long time. I really wanted to like it and thought the combination of Will Ferrell plus the nostalgia factor would make me enjoy it, but it was really terrible.

The Hangover (8/10) -- This one was about what I expected it to be: a funny, raunchy, slapstick comedy. Lots of good quotes and some good, memorable scenes. My only complaint was that it got off on a very good trajectory and then, it was almost like the director realized that it was running too long or something, it ended pretty abruptly.

Last edited by Swaggs : 06-12-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #3241
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The Hangover (6/5) - Awesome movie. Hilarious. Never stops being funny. Too good to be true. Pantheon Comedy.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #3242
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

Highly recommend it.

I know exactly who youre talking about. One or two funny lines, everything else he said and did aside from the surprise entrance was kinda weak.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #3243
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Zombie Strippers (5 / 10): I actually had a hard time coming up with an overall score for this one. I know you're probably thinking "it's called Zombie Strippers, how hard can it be?" but hear me out. For starters I'll say that nobody in the movie can act worth a lick. That goes without saying (though Robert Englund is pretty funny in spots). The entire premise is silly, but it doesn't take itself too seriously and parts are pretty damn funny (not Shawn of the Dead funny, but pretty good). I guess my biggest issue with the movie is that it's kind of all over the place. One minute it's actually making some interesting points about acceptance and conformity (not the sort of thing I was expecting in a movie like this), and the next minute you have exploding zombie heads. If you like bewbs (who doesn't?) and you like zombies (who doesn't?) I'd say give it a look-see. Just don't expect too much and I think you'll be entertained.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #3244
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Gran Torino (10/10) -- Loved it. Not a bad scene in the movie in my opinion. Thought Eastwood was fantastic. I'm fairly certain this was a big f-u to Spike Lee's criticism about their not being any minorities in Flags of Our Fathers. So Eastwood makes a movie where he is just about the only white character in a sea of minority characters.

I really liked the movie, but the kid that played Thao was one of the worst actors I've seen in a while. Especially the basement scene.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #3245
RainMaker
General Manager

7 Pounds (8 out of 10) - Rather predictable once you got the theme of what was happening. Still thought Will Smith was really good in the film and enjoyed watching how things came together. This movie seems to be hit or miss with people but I really liked it. It's not a happy film and does get a little too melodramatic at times, but overall a good film experience.

Land of the Lost (1 out of 10) - Had a date who wanted to see this over some others that were out. This is the one of the worst hunk of shits I've ever seen in my life. I'm ashamed I paid money to see it and wanted to leave halfway through. Will Ferrell has 1, maybe 2 semi-laughable moments. Otherwise the theater was completely dead throughout. This is his Love Guru.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-17-2009 at 02:06 AM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #3246
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Land of the Lost (1 out of 10)

Land of the Lost makes me think there's a need for someone like me (and/or anybody else with a shred of common sense and even the slightest connection to reality) in Hollywood. Just give me an office in the corner of a never-used building, and come see me right after the 'greenlight' stage, but before they begin filming.

MOVIE EXEC: "Hey, we've got it, what do you think about $200 million to remake Land of the Lost, with Will Ferrell!"
ME: "What? Are you fucking retarded?"
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3247
NewIdentity
High School JV

What a bunch of cheap bastards you guys are.

I came here trying to get a feel on the movie UP, and its 3D effects, but all the reviews here never mention anything about UP being in 3D. I guess everyone here is saving their $2.

Anyone know if the Imax Transformer movie is going to be worth the extra $4? I hear it is 2 hours and 30 minutes, but I wonder how long the regular movie is?

Last edited by NewIdentity : 06-17-2009 at 07:19 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #3248
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

This documentary is about two guys, one who has held the world record for the early 80s arcade game Donkey Kong and the man who is trying to beat that record. It also goes into detail on competitive gaming and how it started and the history of Twin Galaxies which maintains records on hundreds of games from all eras. The way the two guys are portrayed make you really want to root for the challenger who gets dicked over a few times in the course of the film. I recommend it to anyone who likes video games.

8/10
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #3249
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

This documentary is about two guys, one who has held the world record for the early 80s arcade game Donkey Kong and the man who is trying to beat that record. It also goes into detail on competitive gaming and how it started and the history of Twin Galaxies which maintains records on hundreds of games from all eras. The way the two guys are portrayed make you really want to root for the challenger who gets dicked over a few times in the course of the film. I recommend it to anyone who likes video games.

8/10

I saw this recently as well based on some recommendations from this site. I'll echo this ranking. Not many times I actually cheer out loud during a documentary, but I did it a few times here. Very well done.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #3250
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
What a bunch of cheap bastards you guys are.

I came here trying to get a feel on the movie UP, and its 3D effects, but all the reviews here never mention anything about UP being in 3D. I guess everyone here is saving their $2.

Anyone know if the Imax Transformer movie is going to be worth the extra $4? I hear it is 2 hours and 30 minutes, but I wonder how long the regular movie is?

I haven't seen UP but by and large, movies in 3-D annoy the living bejeezus out of me. And watching them gives me a wicked headache.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote