Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #7001
tarcone
Coordinator

Long Shot-- 7.5/10

My local B and B theater had free preview and Im part of their rewards program. So I got to go. This is Seth Rogan and Cherize Theron. Its a good romcom. I laughed out loud quite a few times. Some subtle references towards politics and politicians. Some drugs, but its not Pineapple Express. Some action. A little predictable. A slow spot or 2.

But it was good stuff. Im a Rogan fan, so I enjoyed it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #7002
revrew
Team Chaplain

Avengers: Endgame - 9/10

Not a masterpiece all on its own, as there were some questionable calls and flaws and plot holes.

But ... come ... on. This movie was freaking awesome! 3 hours long, and it's the next day, and I want to go see it again!

On it's own, maybe a 7 out of 10, but because it's the capstone of a 22-movie series, and because it did it so well, with such a solid feel and completes things so marvelously (pun intended), it gets bumped up to 9/10. Loved it!
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #7003
PilotMan
Head Coach

Avengers: Endgame - 9.9/10

Lives up to the hype. It's not as good as some action movies, but it's full of action. It's not as strong emotionally as some, but it's full of emotion. It's not as intellectual as others, but it is full of intellect. It's not as funny as others, but it has it's moments.

How in the world they conceived of this masterpiece capstone of a movie is beyond me. They probably deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for it, because that's just how good this movie is. It fills just the right space in the universe and is exceptionally well done. Time flew by and there was never really a dull moment. It's a movie masterpiece, and I don't say that lightly.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-28-2019 at 09:59 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #7004
Butter
Coordinator

I'll admit, was and have been suffering from Marvel Movie Fatigue. MMF is real. But this nearly cured it. I would give it an 8 out of 10, because watching some of the early scenes linger and knowing it was 3 hours was a bit frustrating. But I don't have much bad to say about it. Execution was pretty much nailed.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #7005
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The insane thing is that it sill might not beat Avatar's $2.7 million global box office. A movie which had minimal cultural impact and which nobody really talks about anymore. End Game will shatter Avatar's domestic and worldwide opening weekend by at least 3X, but even 10 years ago movies had longer legs because streaming wasn't quite as ubiquitous around the world, especially in some of the emerging markets that are starting to pay higher ticket prices in huge numbers for movies like this.

The main thing that will prevent it from beating Avatar's global box office is the exchange rate. In 2007, the dollar was much less valuable than it is today, which inflated grosses in international markets.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #7006
Kodos
Resident Alien

To me, Avengers is popcorn entertainment. I enjoy it while I'm watching it, but it's not stuff I add to my movie collection and re-watch. I'd give this an 8. It was well done, but I just don't care about these characters like I care about characters in Star Wars. No character deaths really bother me.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #7007
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The main thing that will prevent it from beating Avatar's global box office is the exchange rate. In 2007, the dollar was much less valuable than it is today, which inflated grosses in international markets.

Could be, but it did get off to a great start - $350 million domestic and $1.2 billion worldwide in the first weekend, both well higher than the last predictions last week.

So it would would need to do 2.3X more worldwide to catch Avatar, and that's a pretty low multiplier for a Marvel movie - though this one may be a little more front-loaded because people people wanted to rush to the theater to see it right away. (Infinity War was 2.18X, whereas Black Panther had a different kind of run at 3.45X, the marvel average seems to be between those.)

Last edited by molson : 04-29-2019 at 10:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #7008
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Could be, but it did get off to a great start - $350 million domestic and $1.2 billion worldwide in the first weekend, both well higher than the last predictions last week.

So it would would need to do 2.3X more worldwide to catch Avatar, and that's a pretty low multiplier for a Marvel movie - though this one may be a little more front-loaded because people people wanted to rush to the theater to see it right away. (Infinity War was 2.18X, whereas Black Panther had a different kind of run at 3.45X, the marvel average seems to be between those.)

It definitely can do it. My point was more that the exchange right is the biggest roadblock. Endgame will almost certainly sell more worldwide tickets than Avatar did.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #7009
chinaski
College Prospect

The Quake - 9/10

From the same Norwegian crew that did The Wave. I really enjoyed The Wave and The Quake has even topped that. I hate calling this an action movie, it's more of a holy shit nail biter. I thought it was fantastic. Currently on Hulu.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #7010
Edward64
Head Coach

Avengers End Game - 8.5

Would have ranked higher other than they made a character a laughing stock. I get Marvel wanting to add more humor and to show survivors guilt but in this case it took it a little too far, it was way, way out of character.

The first hour (?) was nice. Not a lot of action, just showing how survivors coped (or not). The second hour with the "how" was nice with homage paid to character's "key events/people".

The last hour was classic Avengers. The ending(s) were fitting other than for that character mentioned above.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #7011
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pokemon Detective Pickachu 7.5/10 pretty enjoyable. If you like Pokemon go see it. If your kid wants to go you'll probably enjoy it knowing nothing about Pokemon. Could have been funnier and edgy as a PG13 probably but I'm sure they had to get a PG
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #7012
korme
Go Reds

"I Am Easy To Find" - A Film by Mike Mills / An Album by The National

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #7013
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wandering Earth - -/-

Eh, what can I say? I really don't feel like I can grade it because while it was a good movie. It had a nice budget, and some great effects and the story concept was intriguing. It was a movie that I've seen before. Not groundbreaking, some nice changes and feel to it. Character development was stilted, yet straightforward, with very little outside of some standard caricatures and tropes. I'm glad that I saw it, but feel like my opinion of it was hurt by the hype around it. I doubt that I'll remember it a few weeks from now.

Like Steam?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #7014
stevew
Hall Of Famer

John Wick 3 13/10 stars

Really hits all the bullet points you want. Some just insane innovative battle sequences. Halle Berry was worth the price of admission alone. Horse stable sequence one of the most brilliant action set pieces I can remember.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #7015
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Mule - 7/10

Pretty enjoyable, but also fairly lightweight considering the subject matter. Filled a small chunk of time on my 17 hour flight, but I don't need to watch it again.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-04-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #7016
revrew
Team Chaplain

Godzilla: King of Monsters - 4/10

I'm not going to be overly critical here - in fact, I enjoyed the movie. It was action, special effects, good soundtrack, a decent, testosterone-laced romp of a summer popcorn flick. And I love the sound they created for Godzilla's roar.

But I'm not going to pretend it was actually a GOOD movie. Plot holes and preposterous happenings galore, cliches, an amateurish script at best. If you're going for anything more than giant monsters fighting on screen, then you'll probably be disappointed.

(By the way, if you're going to get into this trilogy at all, I recommend the second movie, Kong: Skull Island. The other two movies ... meh).
Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #7017
Kodos
Resident Alien

I saw Godzilla too. I enjoyed it to some degree, and my kids really liked it. I was a little disappointed by it. It suffered from too many scenes in the dark and/or rain. And their attempt to capture the size of the monsters by showing them from a ground-level angle ended up making battles more choppy (constant cutting to a new angle every few seconds). I felt like it was hard to follow the flow of battles. It felt like something in the Gladiator vein with a ton of cuts to guys getting their head chopped off/stabbed/impaled, rather than like Braveheart, where I felt like I could follow the flow of the overall battle well. It also had a lot of roll your eyes moments plotwise.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-05-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #7018
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That It:Chapter 2 trailer is all kinds of scary messed up
Old 06-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #7019
Groundhog
Coordinator

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 6/10

Still on vacation with the little one in day care, we snuck out to the theatre for the first time since the last Star Wars movie to watch this. Not sure why we picked it over Avengers: End Game (well I am actually, my wife loves Sophie Turner), and it took me half the film to remember that I'd actually not seen the last X-Men movie with Apocalypse - I'd thought it odd how suddenly we're introduced to Jean Grey, Nightcrawler and Cyclops without any backstory/origins. I can see this is getting panned by critics but I actually didn't hate it. I like how they (sorta) stuck to the sci-fi component of the Dark Phoenix storyline from the comics. Turner was great as Jean, and Fassbender as usual rocked it as Magneto. It's kind of a shame that the main Marvel films didn't get their hands on this property because most of the casting choices have been pretty good - Cyclops aside (the new one - I thought Marsden was perfect). Sounds like this is the last one of this era, and I think it's probably time to move on and see what Marvel films does with this license now that it (presumably) passes back to them.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #7020
molson
General Manager

Us: 9/10

I love my neighborhood second-run theater, and the fact that I got to see this on the big screen for $3.

I didn't see Get Out, and Us kind of faded from relevance pretty quickly. I think I read it was the first film ever to make $70 million opening weekend but then not reach $200 million. Maybe because it's kind of weird. But it's delightfully weird. It works as a simple horror/survival movie, but simmering just below that this this complex, untold part of the story that you only need to speculate about if you really want to. And there's a social commentary if you want to dig that far, but, it's completely not necessary to do so, it's not in your face. There's unexpected comedy that hits, and the soundtrack is brilliant. The kind of movie that's fun to watch, and then fun to read about for an hour or so afterwards and have those "aha!" moments for the things you miss. I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next. There's not a lot of writer/director/producer movies out there, but there is something extra compelling about seeing a movie that is (essentially) the culmination of one person's vision.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #7021
PilotMan
Head Coach

Always Be My Maybe (Netflix) - 8/10

It's a 7 just for the closing credits song. A smartly written, and acted RomCom and one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. Clever, witty, Comedian Ali Wong wrote and starred and was fantastic. Your girl will love it and you can take all the credit.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #7022
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just watched Fighting With My Family again, showed it to my In Laws. Such a great movie, really well done.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #7023
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

I love my neighborhood second-run theater, and the fact that I got to see this on the big screen for $3.

I didn't see Get Out, and Us kind of faded from relevance pretty quickly. I think I read it was the first film ever to make $70 million opening weekend but then not reach $200 million. Maybe because it's kind of weird. But it's delightfully weird. It works as a simple horror/survival movie, but simmering just below that this this complex, untold part of the story that you only need to speculate about if you really want to. And there's a social commentary if you want to dig that far, but, it's completely not necessary to do so, it's not in your face. There's unexpected comedy that hits, and the soundtrack is brilliant. The kind of movie that's fun to watch, and then fun to read about for an hour or so afterwards and have those "aha!" moments for the things you miss. I can't wait to see what Jordan Peele does next. There's not a lot of writer/director/producer movies out there, but there is something extra compelling about seeing a movie that is (essentially) the culmination of one person's vision.

The twist ending ruined the whole movie for me.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #7024
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Definitely agree with you about this movie. My favorite scene is:

Spoiler

You should also see Get Out.

Just a quick correction that it isn't the first $70 million opener that didn't reach $200, as these other movies did the same:

The Simpsons Movie (2007)
Fast and Furious (2009)
X Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Fifty Shades of Grey (2015)
Halloween (2018)

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 07-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #7025
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

God that Wolverine movie was awful.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #7026
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
The twist ending ruined the whole movie for me.

I loved the ending because the movie makes more sense with the twist than without it.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #7027
molson
General Manager

I really enjoyed this reddit user's breakdown of Us after I saw it.

Official Dreadit Discussion: "Us" [SPOILERS] : horror

I tend not to notice every detail in movies, especially on first watch, I get more consumed by the broader tone, feel, music, acting, etc. So it's fun to read others' more thorough recaps afterwards..

Last edited by molson : 07-15-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #7028
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Midsommar was just nuts.

Highly recommended

Last edited by stevew : 07-16-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #7029
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I will say that while the main male character was a competent to good actor, he looks wayyyyyy too much like Seth Rogan and that kinda takes you out a bit.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #7030
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I will say that while the main male character was a competent to good actor, he looks wayyyyyy too much like Seth Rogan and that kinda takes you out a bit.

YES, that's who he looks like. It was bothering me a bit, he seemed really familiar to me, but I knew I'd never heard of him. Maybe a cross between him and Chris Pratt.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #7031
Butter
Coordinator

Midsommar I would give a 10/10. I don't give that praise out lightly.

Are you tired of movie cliches? Do you feel like you've seen it all? Like horror movies?

Most of all, did you like HEREDITARY? Can you deal with some slow burning tension building?

If you answer yes to most or all of these, this is the movie for you. Liking Hereditary is a big predictor of enjoyment here, I feel.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM   #7032
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Midsommar I would give a 10/10. I don't give that praise out lightly.

Are you tired of movie cliches? Do you feel like you've seen it all? Like horror movies?

Most of all, did you like HEREDITARY? Can you deal with some slow burning tension building?

If you answer yes to most or all of these, this is the movie for you. Liking Hereditary is a big predictor of enjoyment here, I feel.

Thanks, I'm going to watch both.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #7033
korme
Go Reds

Going to try to catch MIDSOMMAR and THE ART OF SELF-DEFENSE sometime next week.

Meanwhile, I saw THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO and it's far and away the best movie I've seen in what has been a pretty lackluster movie year thus far.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #7034
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We need a follow up to Youngblood.

Did Derek ever go #1 overall, did he even go pro? Did Dean go pro? Was his draft stock improved with his ability to fight? Did he marry Murrays daughter?

This is shit I need to know
Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #7035
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We need a follow up to Youngblood.

Did Derek ever go #1 overall, did he even go pro? Did Dean go pro? Was his draft stock improved with his ability to fight? Did he marry Murrays daughter?

This is shit I need to know

A hundred times, YES.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #7036
tarcone
Coordinator

Saint Ralph--10/10

I love this movie. I have watched several times. A great coming of age film. A HS freshman needs a miracle and believes winning the 1954 Boston Marathon is the miracle that he needs.

Great movie.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:48 AM   #7037
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood I guess it’s like an 8/10 or so? Not the best movie you’ll see but it’s up there.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #7038
Groundhog
Coordinator

Pet Sematary - 8/10

A lot better than I expected. I've never read the book and it's probably been 25 or more years since I saw the original movie, but without giving too much away there are a few small changes to the original movie that they straight up throw the ole "bait and switch" at you which I enjoyed. I think being a parent now also helped make this story more terrifying than I found it as a kid.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #7039
Edward64
Head Coach

Shazam - 5/10

It was an okay movie, had some laughs and nice special effects but story didn't really draw me in.

$4 Prime rental, not one for my BR collection.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #7040
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Shazam - 5/10

It was an okay movie, had some laughs and nice special effects but story didn't really draw me in.

$4 Prime rental, not one for my BR collection.

Caught this last night - for me it's a solid 7.5. The first DC movie that has successful used the Marvel formula, and it paid off. I liked the nod to 'Big' also.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #7041
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood I guess it’s like an 8/10 or so? Not the best movie you’ll see but it’s up there.

This was my first Regal Unlimited movie, I loved it.

I think it's probably a bit slow for some people, but I could have spent more time in that world. Incredible acting, great music, 1969 LA looked amazing, and then - well, I haven't seen all of Tarantino's movies and this isn't something I'd associate with him off the top of my head, but the way tension was built towards the end, with the editing/music choices etc, I thought it was a home run.

It's also the kind of movie it was fun to unpack afterwards to see how meticulously researched it was, both the Manson family and what was going on movie/TV/culturally in that time and place.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #7042
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yesterday--7/10

If you like the Beatles, you should see this--it's kind of a love letter to the band. As a film, it hits the Romantic Comedy notes competently, but is nothing exceptional in that regard.

I agree with a lot of the reviewers that the premise of the movie is so interesting that you will leave feeling that you would have liked to see more exploration of that premise. But I'm guessing that the movie makers would tell you that that was not their intent. This wasn't a "let's explore everything that would happen if the Beatles didn't exist" movie. It was a romantic comedy set in a world where the Beatles never existed.

Overall, we all enjoyed it, and I've been humming songs to myself for a couple of days now. And what more do you want from a feel-good Summer movie?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #7043
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the Shawshank Redemption is 25 years old.

Jesus.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #7044
Atocep
Coordinator

Avengers Endgame - 7.0/10

I've loved nearly every MCU movie except maybe Age of Ultron and Thor 2. This really didn't do much for me though.

Spoiler
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #7045
Edward64
Head Coach

Some upcoming movies.

Looking forward to Rambo, Terminator, Star Wars, Top Gun, John Wick.

I am luke warm on Black Panther, Wonder Woman and am thinking WTF on another Halloween.

New movie releases in 2019: the biggest films and most anticipated movies to look forward to - Radio Times
Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #7046
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Stan &Ollie8/10
Coogan was wonderful as Laurel, and Reilly was also great as Hardy. Seeing them in their last tour, was bittersweet.

Poms. 6.5/10
This was cute, but nothing groundbreaking.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #7047
Edward64
Head Coach

Alita - 8.5/10

I've been seeing it out there but never thought about getting it (not a Manga fan) but was at a pharmacy and checked out redbox on my way out.

Great movie. Lots of action and fantastic special effects. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yesterday--7/10

If you like the Beatles, you should see this--it's kind of a love letter to the band. As a film, it hits the Romantic Comedy notes competently, but is nothing exceptional in that regard.

This one is on my radar to watch when it comes out in redbox or Prime. I watched the trailer and thought it was great.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #7048
PilotMan
Head Coach

Searching 8/10

It's taut. It's on Starz now, and I don't remember hearing anything about it. It's a journey a father goes on to find his missing daughter told mostly through social media and interviews. It is a fast watch, that I needed to catch my breath when it was over.

Like Steam?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 AM   #7049
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Searching 8/10

It's taut. It's on Starz now, and I don't remember hearing anything about it. It's a journey a father goes on to find his missing daughter told mostly through social media and interviews. It is a fast watch, that I needed to catch my breath when it was over.

Saw it in the theater last year (almost a year ago to the day, I believe). Fantastic movie. One of the better ones I saw last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #7050
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Saw it in the theater last year (almost a year ago to the day, I believe). Fantastic movie. One of the better ones I saw last year.

Also saw it in theater, and regardless of whether it was as good as I remember, the reality is that I remember it very well - and that's a rare and positive compliment. It was so unique to film the movie "through" social media and texting, etc. Very creative, very entertaining and captivating, and well-done.