Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #1001
WVUFAN
College Starter

According to the IMDBPro site listing, it's Season 1, Episode 8.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #1002
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
What season of One Tree Hill are you in? Cuz I picked up the first season but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

the season where I got cut out but they left me in the credits cuz you hear my line offscreen. Seriously, i dont think i get paid for that anymore but for punisher everynow and then a check shows up for like 8$. hilarious.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #1003
Subby
lolzcat

Hot Fuzz: 3/5 - Really funny parts make it worth a go. I realize that they are trying to be satirical in the last quarter of the movie, particularly, but it gets kind of ridiculous eventually.

Knocked Up: 4.5/5 - Best movie I have seen this year. Some studi exec said "let's make a movie for Subby" and Judd Apatow said...F YES...here is Knocked Up.

300: 3.5/5 - Thoroughly enjoyable escapist fare. A nice antidote to run of the mill bullshit like Die Hard sequels and...Underdog.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #1004
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Hot Fuzz: 3/5 - Really funny parts make it worth a go. I realize that they are trying to be satirical in the last quarter of the movie, particularly, but it gets kind of ridiculous eventually.

Knocked Up: 4.5/5 - Best movie I have seen this year. Some studi exec said "let's make a movie for Subby" and Judd Apatow said...F YES...here is Knocked Up.

300: 3.5/5 - Thoroughly enjoyable escapist fare. A nice antidote to run of the mill bullshit like Die Hard sequels and...Underdog.

plz use a 1o pt scale, thx

j/k

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #1005
Logan
Head Coach

Did a little cable double feature last night since I was feeling shitty:

Beerfest: 6/10 - I'm sure I would've enjoyed this a lot more if I was either drunk, watching it with a few of my buddies, or both. I thought it dragged at the beginning before we met the other guys on the team. I was confused about whether the writers did the "Landfill twin brother" thing to just kill 10 minutes of the movie or if we were supposed to laugh at the seamless transition with him in it. It was one of those movies where I thought, "That's kinda funny" but never laughed at anything. Except the beginning of the beer goggles scene. That was perfectly done.

Four Brothers: 4/10 - Was really disappointed by this as I had heard good things about it. I'm one who can usually look the other way and not be bothered by stupid shit in a movie, but I couldn't get past what these guys were getting away with throughout. The massive assault on the house with a bunch of uzis and other automatics was just ridiculous. Plus I can never buy Mark Wahlberg as a badass - those hockey scenes were terrible, but thought Tyrese did a nice job. Overall, the story did nothing for me and I didn't think it was anywhere near as "gritty" as it tried to be. And at the end,
Spoiler
Disappointing movie.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #1006
rowech
Pro Starter

Superbad -- 8/10 -- Definitely some great laughs but I still like Dazed and Confused as the perfect movie like this and I also liked American Pie better as well.

16 Blocks -- 6/10 -- Not a bad movie but I felt it just should have been better. Bruce Willis' look made me uncomfortable and Mos Def's voice made me cringe.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #1007
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

The Last Legion - 7/10 The story of Excalibur in Roman times before the time of Arthur. Colin Firth is a bit of an odd choice for a Roman military leader, but the ladies like him. Aishwarya Rai had some great combat scenes and is great for the men to look at. All in all, a very solid movie.

Stardust - 7.5/10 A modern fairy tale/love story. Some very good performances by actors both iconic and anonymous. A good mixture of serious story and silly fun. The movie dragged a bit in the beginning but became very good by the end.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #1008
tarcone
Coordinator

Bridge to Terabithia-1/10 This movie was way to emotional for me. Like over the top emotional. Which I really dont like. The story to a point was good. But then way out of control. Will never watch it again.

Last edited by tarcone : 08-19-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: mistyped stuff
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #1009
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Stardust - 7.5/10 A modern fairy tale/love story. Some very good performances by actors both iconic and anonymous. A good mixture of serious story and silly fun. The movie dragged a bit in the beginning but became very good by the end.

Have you read the book?
I'm looking forward to this movie.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #1010
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The Bourne Ultimatum - 10/10 - Wow.. Just got done watching this. Non-stop action. Edge of your seat... and every other cliche saying you can use for a bad ass action movie.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #1011
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Bridge to Terabithia-1/10 This movie was way to emotional for me. Like over the top emotional. Which I really dont like. The story to a point was good. But then way out of control. Will never watch it again.

c'mon....I think a 1/10 does not mean what you think it means.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #1012
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Have you read the book?
I'm looking forward to this movie.

/tk

I haven't yet, but my wife put it on her wish-list as soon as we got home from the movie. She'd have probably rated the movie at an 8.5 or higher.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #1013
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Superbad 9/10 - Loved it, laughed most the entire movie. Really want to go see it in theaters again, which never happens with me.

Next I want to go see the Bourne Ultimatum
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #1014
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah, Stardust was funny enough to keep me entertained, and I also laughed at the over-the-top chick-flickery parts - my guess is Gaiman didn't go for that, and it was more of a Hollywood choice. I enjoyed the characters, especially the brothers, and thought it was generally well done. I do wish the lead character had some "character" beyond the standard cliche, but that was probably hoping for too much. As my friend put it, the romance had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #1015
Johnny93g
College Starter

Stardust 8/10- Very entertaining. Not as complicated as I thought it would be. DeNiro and Pfeiffer are both worth the price of admission

Superbad 5/10- Over the top. I've seen this movie many many many times, only with better taste. I have never had a 5 minute conversation with a male about erections. Who does??? Mclovin with the cops are the only reedeming scenes that make this watchable. I don't know, maybe i expected more with the huge advertising push it got. A poor man's american pie.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #1016
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Vertigo 9.5/10--Yea yea. I should have watched this movie long ago. Thanks to Blockuster online have fixed it. Always good to see Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak was fantastic.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #1017
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I definitely gave Stardust the benefit of the doubt. It's a very likeable, but certainly far from perfect movie.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #1018
korme
Go Reds

Unbreakable (2000) - I like the idea of the film. It was just too dark for me. It was from M. Night though, so it's no surprise- just not much a fan of his. 4/10

Superbad (2007) - Super awesome! Jonah Hill is great, and while I like Michael Cera his character did almost teeter on the line of too-loserish-to-pull-for... sometimes you just got to make the protagonist feel like the attention he is getting is actually deserved. All that said, I was rolling with laughter. 9/10

Last edited by korme : 08-21-2007 at 12:52 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #1019
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Unbreakable (2000) - I like the idea of the film. It was just too dark for me. It was from M. Night though, so it's no surprise- just not much a fan of his. 4/10

Definately disagree with this one. Shyamalan managed to turn an idea that's pretty silly - a "realistic" movie about a guy with superhuman powers - into a pretty darn good movie IMO. The sub-plots about the failed marriage, the son, and Samuel L. Jackon's characters history do a lot to make you care about them all and get a feel for what they are going through and their motives, and it's that darkness in the last half of the film that helps keep the film being "realistic" instead of silly.

Much like all of Shyamalan's films, could have done without the cameo by the director though.

I doubt Shyamalan will ever top this movie as far as my opinion on his films go. Unlike the Sixth Sense, holds up to repeat watchings too. The only one of his movies I have on DVD.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #1020
Flasch186
Coordinator

Children of Men 8 / 10

I really liked the acting in this movie that was definitely different than I expected. From the previews that I remembered I seemed to think it would be an action movie in the Clive Owen Drive faire but it was not. It was thoughtful and symbolic, apocolyptic yet realistic, Dark yet hopeful. I truly thought it was one of the better films Ive seen as of late.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #1021
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Definately disagree with this one. Shyamalan managed to turn an idea that's pretty silly - a "realistic" movie about a guy with superhuman powers - into a pretty darn good movie IMO. The sub-plots about the failed marriage, the son, and Samuel L. Jackon's characters history do a lot to make you care about them all and get a feel for what they are going through and their motives, and it's that darkness in the last half of the film that helps keep the film being "realistic" instead of silly.

Much like all of Shyamalan's films, could have done without the cameo by the director though.

I doubt Shyamalan will ever top this movie as far as my opinion on his films go. Unlike the Sixth Sense, holds up to repeat watchings too. The only one of his movies I have on DVD.

M. Night needs to hurry up and live to his potential. The Sixth Sense was a fantastic movie in my opinion. Unbreakable was okay but I felt it was obvious the whole time. Some parts from Signs were fantastic. The part where they were in the basement to me was what tension was all about and the fact he got a theatre to jump just by walking something across the screen was fantastic as well. That movie fell dud at the end though.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #1022
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I'm a pretty big fan of Unbreakable. I think the only real failure is the very, very ending (like last 30 seconds of the movie).
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #1023
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I would go so far as to say this movie requires a repeat viewing. I didn't like this movie very much on first viewing probably because I was looking for a twist or something magical to happen. When I watched it the second time I wasn't distracted away from the story and was able to appreciate how good it was. I think it is a shame that The Sixth Sense was so popular and the first and best movie he is known for. The guy is an amazing story-teller but people spend too much time looking for a surprise ending and not paying attention to the story.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #1024
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yeah, Stardust was funny enough to keep me entertained, and I also laughed at the over-the-top chick-flickery parts - my guess is Gaiman didn't go for that, and it was more of a Hollywood choice. I enjoyed the characters, especially the brothers, and thought it was generally well done. I do wish the lead character had some "character" beyond the standard cliche, but that was probably hoping for too much. As my friend put it, the romance had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Very true but at its heart, it is a fairy tale. I guess I didn't expect too much subtlety.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #1025
miked
College Starter

Harry Potter and the Scrambled Plot (OoTP) 5/10- Maybe because I like the book, I found this movie near unbearable. It was a hodgepodge of bad acting, missing info and plot jumping. I understand it's hard to cram 600 pages into 2.5 hours, but give it a shot. A lot of the cool dialogue and subplots were seemingly missing and the acting was pretty bad. Except I enjoyed Luna to a degree.

Beerfest 8/10- It was stupid, but it knew it was stupid and made fun of it. I didn't like it as much as Super Troopers, but I was pretty entertained.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #1026
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I was on board with both Unbreakable and The Village in addition to Sixth Sense. The final act of Signs really disappoints, and I could never really buy into Lady In The Water...

overall though, one of the more interesting directors going.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #1027
larrymcg421
Head Coach

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (7/10)

I saw this at the Atlanta Film Festival a few months ago and it's opening in selected cities soon. This is a pretty interesting documentary about a controversial battle between two guys over the official all time high score on the classic arcade game Donkey Kong. It's funny and follows some interesting characters. Only problem is that it gets a little one-sided in the viewpoint of the two competitors (although not entirely without reason).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #1028
Sgran
High School Varsity

Kung Fu Hustle (10/10) -- I saw this a while ago, but I haven't seen it on the list. Ebert said it best: "it's like Jackie Chan, meets Tarantino, meets the Matrix meets Bugs Bunny." When I say Jackie Chan, I mean the old Hong Kong movies about Shaolin temples and the loveable loser who becomes the master. I was laughing so hard at one point that I had to stop the movie, and some of the kung-fu scenes are the most original I've seen. I highly recommend you watch it in chinese with English subtitles.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #1029
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ocean's 13 - 7.0/10 - Enjoyable movie. Better then 12, not as good as 11. Not too sure if I would want to watch a 14, being that I have now seen the same thieving in three straight movies. I also did not like Ellen Barkin's role in this film. I don't quite know why, but she just did not seem to fit.

Transformers - 6.5/10 - The action was cool, yes. But the script I felt was horrible. The action alone was worth 6.5, and so was Megan Fox. Yet, and even though it is just an action film, the script could have been a lot better.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #1030
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Ocean's 13 - 7.0/10 - Enjoyable movie. Better then 12, not as good as 11. Not too sure if I would want to watch a 14, being that I have now seen the same thieving in three straight movies. I also did not like Ellen Barkin's role in this film. I don't quite know why, but she just did not seem to fit.

I completely disagree with this. This last one was pretty dull, just meandering along without any real vision or style. The 12th one had the guts to be different, coming up with a distinctive style and tone inspired by French New Wave cinema, and was alot more fun (example - the Julia Roberts lookalike scene with a Bruce Willis cameo).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #1031
Pyser
Pro Rookie

they didnt steal anything in 12! come on!!!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #1032
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

300 8/10

For a movie where you know the ending (ie, they all die) it was still a great watch. The choice of actors was spot-on and the cgi is very well done.

I'm not frank miller kool-aid drinker but so far I've loved Sin City and really liked 300.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #1033
MikeVic
Head Coach

When do you guys usually watch movies? I'm not a really busy person or anything, but I can't find the time to watch movies... It's usually in a theatre, or once in a blue moon at home on a weekend night...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #1034
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
When do you guys usually watch movies? I'm not a really busy person or anything, but I can't find the time to watch movies... It's usually in a theatre, or once in a blue moon at home on a weekend night...

stop golfing so much and you may have time
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #1035
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
stop golfing so much and you may have time

!!!

I've golfed once! Maybe I can get some fancy golf bag that has a DVD player and screen in it. Like that guy in Caddyshack with the sound system.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #1036
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
!!!

I've golfed once! Maybe I can get some fancy golf bag that has a DVD player and screen in it. Like that guy in Caddyshack with the sound system.

I find time to watch movies whenever I'm not around my friends. For instance I am spending the week with my mom, she's at work so I'm about to either find something on HBO on Demand, or watch a movie I own.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #1037
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Fracture - 3.5/10 Anthony Hopkins shoots his wife, but is he smart enough to get away with it anyway? I normally love courtroom dramas. I love to see if the criminal genius is smart enough to get away with it or if the investigators can figure it out. This movie should have been right up my alley. Sadly the "drama" was very slow and plodding and the finish was a giant letdown. It was bad enough that after the reveal happened I was immediately taken out of the movie to try to decide if it even made sense. Skip this movie if you get a chance.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #1038
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed. This is my favorite Shyamalan movie.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 AM   #1039
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I'm a pretty big fan of Unbreakable. I think the only real failure is the very, very ending (like last 30 seconds of the movie).

Curious...

Spoiler
Old 08-22-2007, 01:00 AM   #1040
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would go so far as to say this movie requires a repeat viewing. I didn't like this movie very much on first viewing probably because I was looking for a twist or something magical to happen. When I watched it the second time I wasn't distracted away from the story and was able to appreciate how good it was. I think it is a shame that The Sixth Sense was so popular and the first and best movie he is known for. The guy is an amazing story-teller but people spend too much time looking for a surprise ending and not paying attention to the story.

Agreed here, too. It paled next to Sixth Sense at first for me (saw it in the theater). It was probably by seeing it on cable a couple years later, and watching it a couple more times that way, that I really began to appreciate what a terrific movie it is.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #1041
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was on board with both Unbreakable and The Village in addition to Sixth Sense. The final act of Signs really disappoints, and I could never really buy into Lady In The Water...

overall though, one of the more interesting directors going.

You know, the ending of Signs is probably one of the most often quoted reasons for disliking it, and I can understand that. I wasn't a big fan of it either. But am I the only one for whom the ending didn't really detract from the other very excellent parts of the film? Even though I felt the ending was hokey, I still really like most of that movie.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #1042
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the pace and tone of "unbreakable" are fantastic. the highly stylized shots, the long takes, the color scheme...its m night's masterpiece. no question.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #1043
korme
Go Reds

Went to BB and bought 6 movies, intending to buy only 2 (and neither of those were in - The Believer / Squid & The Whale)... so I'll have some more reviews up tomorrow!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #1044
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have never ever gotten even a single moment of enjoyment out of an M. Night film. I can't get past the hushed and stilted dialog and what to my eyes seems like a complete lack of character development. The protagonist, hell the entire cast of characters, is pretty much exactly the same and from one M. Night movie to the next. Unbreakable was pretty much the worst of the bunch to me.

KID: {whispering} You're lifting the weights.
WILLIS: {whispering} I'm lifting the weights.
ME: ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzz

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-22-2007 at 01:28 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:28 AM   #1045
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, the ending of Signs is probably one of the most often quoted reasons for disliking it, and I can understand that. I wasn't a big fan of it either. But am I the only one for whom the ending didn't really detract from the other very excellent parts of the film? Even though I felt the ending was hokey, I still really like most of that movie.

If you've read what I write around here enough or by any chance heard the stuff I say on my podcast/sometimes real radio show... I'm quite OK with an interesting failure.

There is some additional value in a movie if I'm still talking about what was wrong with it years later. It's like the difference between your team getting destroyed in the playoffs or losing a heartbreaker. You keep talking about the close loss because of what might have been... it's more memorable, and it hurts a little more because so many things were right.

My big issue with Signs is the ultimate resolution is so laughable, i cannot believe M. Night saw fit to proceed with that script. There is so much good set up, so much good dialogue, that you just cringe when it all comes crashing down in a silly finale.

Ultimately the resolution to most movies will determine how I feel about it (rare cases to the contrary), but even if I ultimately give a movie a failing grade, it doesn't mean it's not worth watching.

I guess I respect the effort. I like directors/writers who are really shooting for something big, regardless of how it ultimately winds up. Outside of whether a movie works in its entirety, the question I usually come back to with a movie is "Is it worth thinking about?"

Movies can be good without getting a "yes" response there, but the common trait among basically every throughly bad movie to me is when that is a resounding "no.'

Ultimately I think Signs fails as a movie, but there are some great elements and it's at least worth thinking about the basic premise, or what you would have done differently to make the movie work, etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #1046
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If you've read what I write around here enough or by any chance heard the stuff I say on my podcast/sometimes real radio show... I'm quite OK with an interesting failure.

There is some additional value in a movie if I'm still talking about what was wrong with it years later. It's like the difference between your team getting destroyed in the playoffs or losing a heartbreaker. You keep talking about the close loss because of what might have been... it's more memorable, and it hurts a little more because so many things were right.

My big issue with Signs is the ultimate resolution is so laughable, i cannot believe M. Night saw fit to proceed with that script. There is so much good set up, so much good dialogue, that you just cringe when it all comes crashing down in a silly finale.

Ultimately the resolution to most movies will determine how I feel about it (rare cases to the contrary), but even if I ultimately give a movie a failing grade, it doesn't mean it's not worth watching.

I guess I respect the effort. I like directors/writers who are really shooting for something big, regardless of how it ultimately winds up. Outside of whether a movie works in its entirety, the question I usually come back to with a movie is "Is it worth thinking about?"

Movies can be good without getting a "yes" response there, but the common trait among basically every throughly bad movie to me is when that is a resounding "no.'

Ultimately I think Signs fails as a movie, but there are some great elements and it's at least worth thinking about the basic premise, or what you would have done differently to make the movie work, etc.

I've had this discussion with a number of people (and possibly you) before, but I really wasn't let down by the end of Signs. The ultimate resolution was weak, but then I don't think the movie was really trying to be an alien movie. The story of losing faith, personal redemption, and the belief that everything happens for a reason seemed to be much more important elements of the movie. The problem (I think) was that the movie was so heavily presented as an alien movie. The includes the previews as well as much of the first 2/3 of the movie. People were so focused on the aliens that they were disappointed when that story didn't have a great ending.

It wasn't a great movie, but I still watch it from time to time and quite enjoy it.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #1047
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Wholeheartedly agree on all points. There's a difference between not liking an ending and absolutely laughing at the direction chosen. I LOVED that movie up until the end and then it was like a punch of stupidity in the face.

Last edited by Logan : 08-22-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #1048
korme
Go Reds

Easy Rider (1969) - After watching the film I am surprised it made AFI's Top 100. I understand the reasoning- it's a good look at the times, the drugs, and the undeserved predjudices in America. That said, it was nothing special and not even all that interesting. I thuroughly enjoyed Dennis Hopper's character, but Peter Fonda's I felt was quite lacking in personality. This movie might be one that deserves a more accurate rating after a second viewing. The end was a real shocker. 6/10

Last edited by korme : 08-22-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #1049
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wholeheartedly agree on all points. There's a difference between not liking an ending and absolutely laughing at the direction chosen. I LOVED that movie up until the end and then it was like a punch of stupidity in the face.

So it has been a while since I have seen this - can you remind me the bad ending?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 PM   #1050
korme
Go Reds

Annie Hall (1977) - Classic Woody Allen; Diane Keaton is great. Many funny lines ("he kept saying 'jew eat yet', not 'did you'). It wasn't groundbreaking, however, and I think modern comedies are more funny (to each their own). Appearances from Chris Walken and Jeff Goldblum were nice surprises. 6.5/10

Last edited by korme : 08-29-2007 at 11:49 PM.