Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #351
hollmt
High School Varsity

No reason to be internet snarky, if that is in fact what you are attempting. I read your first line but I guess I felt you contradicted what you stated with your next statement in wanting more. I could be wrong in that and if so, it happens on the www often. We can deal with it and move on.

So maybe I should have clarified better. Not everything gets all wrapped up in a nice CSI/Law and Order/Insert Crime Drama fashion you seemed to have wanted. And you did seem to want that or else you would not be upset about not having the closure you wanted. I think because of that you dismissed the show as being low quality and you are entirely entitled to your opinion on the that. I am not in an internet battle to sway you to my opinion on it I promise.

I still hold to the point I also made about season 1, which I am guessing you liked and so did I. The Big Bads there, they were NOT caught. So, if you liked Season 1 and in the end, the Big Bads were not caught, and you require that closure, things don't add up for me.

I liked season 2 for what it was. I liked season 1 for what it was. Things weren't wrapped up all nice and tidy in either one. I will move on to Mr. Robot tonight and things will be great
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #352
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
No reason to be internet snarky, if that is in fact what you are attempting. I read your first line but I guess I felt you contradicted what you stated with your next statement in wanting more. I could be wrong in that and if so, it happens on the www often. We can deal with it and move on.

So maybe I should have clarified better. Not everything gets all wrapped up in a nice CSI/Law and Order/Insert Crime Drama fashion you seemed to have wanted. And you did seem to want that or else you would not be upset about not having the closure you wanted. I think because of that you dismissed the show as being low quality and you are entirely entitled to your opinion on the that. I am not in an internet battle to sway you to my opinion on it I promise.

I still hold to the point I also made about season 1, which I am guessing you liked and so did I. The Big Bads there, they were NOT caught. So, if you liked Season 1 and in the end, the Big Bads were not caught, and you require that closure, things don't add up for me.

I liked season 2 for what it was. I liked season 1 for what it was. Things weren't wrapped up all nice and tidy in either one. I will move on to Mr. Robot tonight and things will be great

Yes, Ioved season one and yes, the bad guys still won. But there was a payoff. I am not just talking about the bad guy getting shot in the head either. If you cannot see the difference between season one and the mess that season two was, we will just have to agree to disagree.

The Wire was not some fluffy show with a ton of happy endings and where all of the characters walked away in a great emotional state at the end of every season. But there was a real payoff with each show, much less each season.

Maybe you found it with this. For my tastes, while I thought the show improved the final four episodes, I thought the ending was predictable and non sensical on many levels. That is not how I wanted to end 8 hours of my time. HBO and the rest of the internet doesn't care about that and if you "got it" that's fine and dandy.

I still think you are missing my point but maybe I am not making it clear enough. To put it simply, I think the show wasted a great cast and was mediocre throughout with one of the single worst endings I have ever seen. To each his/her own.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #353
hollmt
High School Varsity

HA! Troy, I don't know if 'I got it' on this show. I agree with you that overall the show was quite a mess and it was extremely hard to follow along, but again, I guess I took it for what it was worth and liked it for that. You didn't, others didn't. It is all good. I do thought think a lot of the issues was that people (me included) like that mystery that season 1 brought. The unknown factor maybe? Supernatural thing they hinted at. We as a whole also compared season 2 to season 1. I think someone mentioned in this thread that had the show been titled something other than 'True Detective' it would have maybe fared better. Who knows. I do have to disagree with you on the fact that season 1 wrapped everything up all nicely though, but will agree with you to disagree on it.

I have heard numerous ravings about The Wire and have watched 2 episodes I think. I need to probably re-watch them because it has been awhile.

And maybe neither one of are making our points very well.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #354
Logan
Head Coach

The ironic thing, for me at least, is that the supernatural stuff made me like the show a lot less than most during Season 1. I think I posted here at the beginning of this season that the way it was shaping up after the premiere seemed a lot more up my alley than S1. Oh well.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #355
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Finally watched the finale last night. I totally missed this discussion as a result.

Gotta say, glad I missed it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #356
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #357
Subby
lolzcat

We Probably Won’t Have True Detective to Kick Around Anymore (But We’ll Still Have Nic Pizzolatto)
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 05-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #358
AnalBumCover
College Starter

The first 2 episodes of Season 3 kicked off last weekend. Any thoughts on those before I delve into it?

I dropped Season 2 like a bad habit after a few eps. But after reading through this thread I may give it a go once more.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #359
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
The first 2 episodes of Season 3 kicked off last weekend. Any thoughts on those before I delve into it?

I dropped Season 2 like a bad habit after a few eps. But after reading through this thread I may give it a go once more.

There's nothing wrong with season 2, infact, i think it's pretty good, and if people weren't comparing it to season 1, then I think it would not be shit on as much, but if you felt it was so bad that you stopped watching it, i wouldn't touch it again. Stick to your guns.

Season 3 started out great, and i can't wait to see more.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #360
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
There's nothing wrong with season 2, infact, i think it's pretty good, and if people weren't comparing it to season 1, then I think it would not be shit on as much, but if you felt it was so bad that you stopped watching it, i wouldn't touch it again. Stick to your guns.

Season 3 started out great, and i can't wait to see more.

Season 2 was a hot mess. The last straw for me, however, was when they killed off Stan. I couldn't believe they killed him. He was such a great character. The show really fell apart without him.

Fuck them, fuck them all, for killing Stan.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #361
Subby
lolzcat

First two episodes of season 3 are solid. Not breaking new ground or anything but an enjoyable few hours. Mahershala Ali is predictably excellent.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #362
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am enjoying it so far. As noted, Mahershala Ali has been excellent so far. It's enough for me to keep watching.

Season 2 for me was actually passably good for most of it, IMO, but I really feel they screwed up at the end. Unlikeable characters mostly, and it felt like they didn't know how to end it properly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #363
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
First two episodes of season 3 are solid. Not breaking new ground or anything but an enjoyable few hours. Mahershala Ali is predictably excellent.

Agree with this. I abandoned season 2 pretty early on after absolutely adoring season 1. Season 3 feels more like the season 1 groove...even if we've just replaced weird wood sculptures with cornhusk dolls.

It's those shadows of the uncanny seeping into a noir setting that make this show, even if the payoff is always going to be mundane. If we accept that noir is a sort of modern American mythmaking doubles down on social ugliness, the not-really-uncanny bits that excite our imaginations are brilliant. We want to make the evil in our midst a supernatural "other" rather than a natural consequence. We want to look right past the obvious because the truth is too ugly to bear...so that uncanny letdown (when it's just an inbred cajun motherfucker or whatever) is part of what makes the storytelling so powerful.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #364
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I thought season 3 was every bit as good as the first season. And that final episode was incredible.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #365
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Maybe I missed something, but the finale was very unsatisfying for me. Not quite "How I Met Your Mother" finale bad, but still pretty bad. The director seemed determined to show the audience that he's more clever and smarter than us. It's just a tv show, Nic. Make a better ending.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #366
kingfc22
Head Coach

I liked Season 3 a lot but I thought the ending was a bit meh. I would have been good with them leaving it that she died and ended at the grave stone. I think where it was off was the part about tying it back to the boy who she went to school with. A bit too fairy tale.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #367
Subby
lolzcat

Stephen Dorff was an unexpected bright spot for me during this season. I also thoroughly enjoyed his over the top wtf barroom brawl scene in the finale.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:19 AM   #368
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed season 3. Kind of had the scooby doo ending a bit with the one eyed guy. But great climax.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote