Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Lego XBox Games for 4-6 year olds

Kind of a shot in the dark here due to the constraints I am putting on this.

So my console gaming has been pretty much limited to me and Rockstar titles etc. Recently I introduced my 6 year old to the Lego Movie Game and my twin 4 year olds started playing and love it too. It is like the perfect challenge level for them where they can actually operate the characters and still play but there is some challenge.

Well we have pretty much exhausted the game and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the other Lego games? I was looking into Lego Movie 2 but it almost looks too modern if that makes any sense. I like the real basic controls of the first game. I also know they would love the Superhero games but it seemed like more shooting and that it might be aimed for older ages.

The age requirements aren't much to go off and a lot of the reviews are older kids or even adults. Any suggestions on which one to play next? Anyone with kids at a similar age?

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Kind of a shot in the dark here due to the constraints I am putting on this.

So my console gaming has been pretty much limited to me and Rockstar titles etc. Recently I introduced my 6 year old to the Lego Movie Game and my twin 4 year olds started playing and love it too. It is like the perfect challenge level for them where they can actually operate the characters and still play but there is some challenge.

Well we have pretty much exhausted the game and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the other Lego games? I was looking into Lego Movie 2 but it almost looks too modern if that makes any sense. I like the real basic controls of the first game. I also know they would love the Superhero games but it seemed like more shooting and that it might be aimed for older ages.

The age requirements aren't much to go off and a lot of the reviews are older kids or even adults. Any suggestions on which one to play next? Anyone with kids at a similar age?

I think the big thing is "room to grow."

So for example, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, thematically? Great for them. Challenge-wise? There will be elements that are a bit much. It's an open world game, and some of the races need more dexterity than they're going to have at that age. But just roaming around and farting with things? They can handle.

What you might consider are some of the older Lego games. Lego Star Wars 1 & 2 are backwards compatible and are more of the 'hub world' type games where there's some more structure. Lego Pirates, Lego Indiana Jones 1 & 2, same drill.

If you're subscribed to Xbox Game Pass, a few of those may even be available there for you to try before/instead of spending extra money.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I think the big thing is "room to grow."

So for example, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, thematically? Great for them. Challenge-wise? There will be elements that are a bit much. It's an open world game, and some of the races need more dexterity than they're going to have at that age. But just roaming around and farting with things? They can handle.

What you might consider are some of the older Lego games. Lego Star Wars 1 & 2 are backwards compatible and are more of the 'hub world' type games where there's some more structure. Lego Pirates, Lego Indiana Jones 1 & 2, same drill.

If you're subscribed to Xbox Game Pass, a few of those may even be available there for you to try before/instead of spending extra money.

Appreciate the quick reply. Yeah they are so new to games they don't really get bored with the collecting studs portion that I would find tiresome. They do hand over the controls for some of the jumping stuff and fighting which is kind of what you said about lego super heroes. Indiana Jones I remember from a while ago, you think these have aged well?

We just lost the game pass, was where we first started playing Lego Movie until a friend gave me his game. May resubscribe I think it has Batman and one of the superhero games for Lego right now. I am not really tied to Lego but I like the characters "breaking apart" for my kids age vs dying.

Last edited by panerd : 04-07-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Me and my 7 year old step son have enjoyed The Incredibles LEGO game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Me and my 7 year old step son have enjoyed The Incredibles LEGO game.

My 8 year old like this one also.

IIRC there was a ninjago one he really like too.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:33 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Appreciate the quick reply. Yeah they are so new to games they don't really get bored with the collecting studs portion that I would find tiresome. They do hand over the controls for some of the jumping stuff and fighting which is kind of what you said about lego super heroes. Indiana Jones I remember from a while ago, you think these have aged well?

We just lost the game pass, was where we first started playing Lego Movie until a friend gave me his game. May resubscribe I think it has Batman and one of the superhero games for Lego right now. I am not really tied to Lego but I like the characters "breaking apart" for my kids age vs dying.

The thing about the Lego games is that, visually, they're going to be functionally identical across generations. Oh, they might get cleaned up some for things like progressive scan and true HD as the hardware advances, but this ain't, like, old school Doom vs Halo 5.

The formula is going to be consistent. The biggest difference is that the more recent games got feature bloat to keep them from being 'weekend rentals.' That is, there is a shit-ton more to do in Lego Batman 3 than in Lego Batman 1 so that people will pay retail for it instead of renting it for two days from Redbox and going "okay, all done."

Your kids probably won't care about that. They aren't old enough that 100%'ing a Lego game matters to them the way it might to an older set (and the bloat is targeted at that crowd). If they can play The Lego Movie Videogame, they can handle any of the older Lego games. The formula will be familiar, even if the characters and stories change.

I just checked Game Pass, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (that's the first six movies) is on there along with Lego Batman 2 and Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures. If they enjoyed The Lego Movie Videogame, they will enjoy all three of those. I don't believe any of them have more than a very limited "open world" setting, so the structure should keep those games accessible to your kids.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
spleen1015
Coordinator

There are a lot of LEGO games. What are they interested in?

Star Wars?
Marvel or DC superheroes?

I would pick the one(s) where they would be most interested in the characters.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I found some of the Marvel Lego games to be a bit too finicky with too many obscure puzzles that aren't really that intuitive. The Incredibles has a little bit of that, but not nearly as much.

We had a lot of fun with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - but that could be a little violent/mature for some younger kids.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the Star Wars games work very well. There is some shooting with blasters, but it is not realistic shooting. And with 6 movies to work with, there is a lot of gameplay there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
BigDPW
College Prospect

I would agree the best starting point would be the Lego Star Wars complete Saga. I would also suggest Lego Star Wars the Clone Wars, the first Lego Marvel Game, and Lego Lord of The Rings. My boys are now 10 and 12 but these games were how we all spent time gaming together when they were younger. My youngest was probably about 4-6 when he started and there would be occasional instances where they would need my help to get through a puzzle or level but generally they got the hang of it pretty fast. I have noticed the newer the Lego Game the more complex the controls and puzzles get and I imagine your youngster might struggle a little more. My boys loved the Lego Movie game also. I would say that the ones I mentioned above are a bit easier for a younger child to manage through than the Lego Movie Game so I think they would enjoy those if the theme was at all interesting to them.
BigDPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for all the responses guys! My kids are obsessed with the Lego Movie (even before the game) and also with Superheroes. The problem with the other Lego games is they don't have the slightest clue who the characters are. I think they might know "Dark" Vader from friends at school but I haven't yet exposed them to the classics yet. :-)

Sounds like I will go with one of the earlier Batman ones or another early Marvel one and get to the other stuff as they watch the movies and learn the people. Though I'm guessing they will love any of them and it might be a way to introduce them to Star Wars and Indiana Jones before they watch. Either way sounds like I have a lot to go through and thank you Sack for the gamepass information. Seems like a nice investment. (I saw online if I wait until April 11 I can get 3 months for $3, can't beat that!)

Last edited by panerd : 04-08-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Either way sounds like I have a lot to go through and thank you Sack for the gamepass information. Seems like a nice investment. (I saw online if I wait until April 11 I can get 3 months for $3, can't beat that!)

For sure. They had a 2 months for $2 thing going a bit ago, and I missed the boat on that, but I found someone selling 6 month codes at a nice discount and picked up a year for $40 or so.

Then the news leaked of a 3 months for $3 promo, and...yeah, dammit, but I hear tell I may be able to extend my existing subscription with that. Maybe. The story I read wasn't clear on whether the offer would extend to 'existing' or 'previous' subscribers in addition to brand-new subscribers.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

3 months for $1 on Thursday. New and lapsed subscribers. Forum doesn't like the Gamespot link.

Last edited by SackAttack : 04-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.