Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

2021 TV Thread

There was no 2020 thread but too late anyway

So starting off with some news . What show do you think is getting rebooted next?

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/night-co...tte-returning/

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope none, kinda sick of the reboots-try something new or don't give up on those shows who do.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

When I was a kid, I loved Night Court. That is not a show that holds up, though. I can't see a reboot being great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't see a Murder She Wrote/Matlock/Columbo-type of reboot updated with splashes of CSI technology. It might just be that things are too real today for that type of character-driven "gotcha!" show to work. But the idea of a dying breed, old school/folksy detective learning/using the new technology to catch criminals seems like a potential show idea (although maybe not a reboot but with new characters - I have no interest in a Peter Falk-less Columbo).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-17-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Stand drops today. Really excited for this.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Stand drops today. Really excited for this.

Full series or do they do week to week? Hard to keep up with all these different platforms.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
When I was a kid, I loved Night Court. That is not a show that holds up, though.

This was my first thought too. The originals do not hold up at all. Good writing could allow a remake/update to fit current times better, but I don't have a good feeling on this one despite loving the show in the 80s.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

i agree....Night Court was an odd dog in the 80s. It was not a wholesome family show and sometimes went a little raunchy and it was always farce...only other one of the time was Perfect Strangers. And I totally agree with an article I read that it succeeded on the shoulders of the chemistry between Anderson and Larroquette. Anderson set em up and Larr knocked em down.

Without Anderson it won't be the same show...also...the reason Larroquette was so funny is that in the 80s, the "sleez" character COULD be funny. Nowadays you can't DO any of the typical Dan FIelding lines and get laughs. It will get uncomfortable awkward silence and then be pulled off the air.

The studio audience comedy is another dinosaur of the past that just doesn't work anymore.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of week-to-week or all-at-once: anyone know about WandaVision when it drops in January? We figure we'll get Disney+ for a month sometime in the new year to watch Mandalorian, but if we can squeeze that in, too, it would be nice.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure D+ is going all in on the week to week for it's big shows.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think I read something about Disney+ dropping over 20 new Star Wars and MCU series next year? I want to believe I'm not remembering that correctly, because it sounds excessive.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I found the article, and: yes! 20 Star Wars/Marvel series, but not over next year, rather than the next few years.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/dis...es-1234850947/
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-17-2020 at 09:46 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
i agree....Night Court was an odd dog in the 80s. It was not a wholesome family show and sometimes went a little raunchy and it was always farce...only other one of the time was Perfect Strangers. And I totally agree with an article I read that it succeeded on the shoulders of the chemistry between Anderson and Larroquette. Anderson set em up and Larr knocked em down.

Without Anderson it won't be the same show...also...the reason Larroquette was so funny is that in the 80s, the "sleez" character COULD be funny. Nowadays you can't DO any of the typical Dan FIelding lines and get laughs. It will get uncomfortable awkward silence and then be pulled off the air.

The studio audience comedy is another dinosaur of the past that just doesn't work anymore.

Definitely agree with the latter point. I'm re-watching the entire Colombo catalog and there are several cringe moments throughout the series that look so bad viewed today versus how they were accepted 40-50 years ago. There are several times Columbo comments on how pretty a preteen girl is and it's just uncomfortable. The worst is when he compliments a young girl who has a genius IQ and her response is something to the effect of, "Finally someone loves me for my body and not just my brain." Oy! That show would be pulled so quickly it's not funny.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-18-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It'll be interesting to see how Dan Fielding fits into a modern mindset. I like the idea that it seems like he'd still be a night court prosecutor all these years later. I think it could work, depending on how they update it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Full series or do they do week to week? Hard to keep up with all these different platforms.

Week to week. Watched the first one last night. Not sure what to think. I am usually pretty lax with criticism but if I am being honest I hate the way they did it.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Week to week. Watched the first one last night. Not sure what to think. I am usually pretty lax with criticism but if I am being honest I hate the way they did it.

That's disappointing. We'll probably watch it whenever Picard comes back around for season 2. I loved the book and the original miniseries but didn't really think it was time for another. It's probably going to look even worse now when you compare the "realism" of what a real pandemic looks like compared to a fictional one (albeit with different conditions).

Also, if they try to over-dramatize anything but the finale, it's going to feel weird as the original felt like it wasn't sensationalized. That was one of the big draws is that the events were sensational so they didn't need added flourish. And we don't have a lot of that type of storytelling now.

SI

Old 12-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #17
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think I read something about Disney+ dropping over 20 new Star Wars and MCU series next year? I want to believe I'm not remembering that correctly, because it sounds excessive.

I think half of them will get cancelled.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I suspect so, too. This all looks good until you have to pay for it and pass that cost on to subscribers in increased sub costs.

SI

Old 12-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

If they have quality writing and stuff, I see plenty of room to run especially Star Wars.

Admittedly, I'm not that interested in the same old MCS stuff like Shield, Spiderman, Iron Man, Black Panther, Thor etc.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nah, half of them will just get pushed back a few years rather than being cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't start airing the first season in 2028.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #21
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Did anyone watch episode 2 of the Stand? Worth watching or no?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:08 AM   #22
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone else watching Wandavision? I didn't plan on it, but my little sister pestered me enough that I gave in. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would, though I have been losing enthusiasm in recent weeks.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am really having trouble with how I felt about The Stand.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Anyone else watching Wandavision? I didn't plan on it, but my little sister pestered me enough that I gave in. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would, though I have been losing enthusiasm in recent weeks.

I have been! I love it! I’ve had the opposite experience, enjoying the show more and more with each episode. The ending of episode 5 was a top TV moment for me. I almost jumped off my couch with excitement. I’m loving this show!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We're going to check it out in the next month or two. We're waiting to snag Disney+ for a month to watch The Mandalorian Season 2 and Wandavisiion. But we wanted to wait until we could just subscribe for a month rather than 2 or 3 where we might not unsubscribe

SI

Old 02-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #26
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
We're going to check it out in the next month or two. We're waiting to snag Disney+ for a month to watch The Mandalorian Season 2 and Wandavisiion. But we wanted to wait until we could just subscribe for a month rather than 2 or 3 where we might not unsubscribe

SI

I got a deal where I pay $3.99 a month for Disney+. My stepson has watched plenty of movies on it, but I’ve pretty much only watched The Mandalorian and WandaVision and feel the subscription is totally worth it. I’ve loved both shows. Very much looking forward to Falcon and Winter Soldier in a month.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #27
rjolley
College Starter

If you have Verizon, they do have a deal with certain plans for a free subscription to Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+. That's what we're using right now.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though you have to choose if you already had an Unlimited plan to give up no added cost Apple Music for no added cost Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu (with ads).

I decided to keep my plan with Apple Music, since it's more useful to me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk