Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #201
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I hit Mythic in limited but I am probably a lot more hardcore magic player than most people here. There was a stretch where I was completing a draft and 7-9 rounds of games in a night.

Mythic, nice!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #202
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I hit Mythic in limited...
Yes, congrats on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I was Gold/Gold
I too was Gold/Gold. I really like the entire Ravnica block, and enjoyed drafting Allegiance. I'm bummed we're back on the Ixalan block.

I've played most days during the first two Pre-seasons (getting my daily quests at a minimum), but finally started to feel a little burnt-out.

I used my Wilcards making an Esper Control and Mono-Blue deck. So I need to start saving up again. Up to this point, I've only played Bo1. I'm still a bit intimidated on the entire sideboard what's in/what's out concept versus each deck archetype. LOTS of info to really know and understand. My goal is to really understand my main two decks, and then wade into the Bo3 waters.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #203
chesapeake
College Starter

Congrats on reaching Mythic!

I got to gold/gold like the rest of us appear to as well, which is probably the ceiling for me. Rare is the night I can get more than an hour in. I'm liking drafting RNA very much and have had a lot of success on the BO3 drafts--5-1, 4-2, 4-2, 3-2 and one 1-2 debacle so far--but it takes me 2-3 days to cobble together enough time to play through a single draft. Thankfully, you can do that on Arena.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #204
QuikSand
lolzcat

Playing, low end, same username as here

Enjoying it thus far
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #205
chesapeake
College Starter

How are folks liking WAR so far? Having huge bombs in every deck is certainly fun for now. I do wonder if it will have the legs that RNA has had. I lost last night to a steaming pile of crap cards + Liliana. The format is new, so I shrugged my shoulders and moved on with life. With the gods, finales, and some of the top planewalkers like Lil and Ugin, I do worry that limited is going to become: did you open a completely overpowered bomb? Y-you win/N-you lose. When there are 1 or 2 in a set, no big deal. This set has maybe a dozen? I worry that wall is going to be hit a lot, which will make limited less fun a month into the format.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #206
Izulde
Head Coach

Limited is going to be weird this set due to the profusion of PWs and proliferate back as a thing. The gods-eternal are a real hassle to deal with. Ugin isn't that good and he's terrible in Limited BTW.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #207
chesapeake
College Starter

That's a hot take on Ugin. Although he's a little pricey at 6 mana, he's colorless and protects himself with your choice of his + or - ability. I had him in a sealed pool where he did a ton of work when I drew him.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #208
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Yeah most limited lists I've seen have Ugin at or near the top.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #209
chesapeake
College Starter

Have Ugin in the deck I drafted last night. He's a real beating. I was behind when I brought him in. Killed Nissa immediately and then started spitting out spirit tokens which I could strategically sacrifice to get the cards underneath them. Felt good. I feel fine about spending an early pick on him.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #210
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have a traditional draft ticket to spend, thinking I might use it tomorrow night. I've never played Bo3 and I'm very afraid of the whole sideboard thing. I expect I'll be lucky to get 1 win, but just getting to draft the set should be fun enough I hope.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #211
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I have a traditional draft ticket to spend, thinking I might use it tomorrow night. I've never played Bo3 and I'm very afraid of the whole sideboard thing. I expect I'll be lucky to get 1 win, but just getting to draft the set should be fun enough I hope.

Cashed in the ticket this evening. Drafted a WU deck, 1-1 with it so far. Matches are super long and intense. Kind of fun, though I really don't have much of a sideboard so I'm basically hoping to run into other clueless Bo3 n00bs like myself.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #212
Izulde
Head Coach

New Karn + Mycosynth Lattice feels amazing in Modern.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #213
Thomkal
Head Coach

MTG: Arena celebrating its one billion match by giving everyone a pack in the latest expansion. Just type code ONEBILLION in the store to claim it:

Get A Free Pack In Magic: The Gathering Arena - MMO Bomb
Old 06-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #214
Izulde
Head Coach

London Mulligan is a terrible switch. It rewards combo decks and is going to really impact Modern.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #215
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I avoided this game until last month and i'm already hooked.

I wish I had joined the party years ago but I'm here now and I'm enjoying it.

I prefer the physical card game but I have created an Arena account and I like it because it just helps me learn the game. The complexity is part of the appeal for me.

Questions:

1) is there a "best" forum for MTG (like this is the place for FOFC) ?
2) besides local shops, where is the best place to buy cards and supplies online or off?
I found a local shop but they don't have a huge selection of supplies.
Also, i've purchased the KMC perfect fit sleeves and Ultra Pro 66x91 for double sleeving - i like so far.
3) any basic suggestions for a newb?

Seems like I've basically jumped into the deep end of a bottomless pool. Oh my.

Right now my goal is to simply learn the rules. I'm starting out with M20 and playing against my 19yo daughter who, luckily, is enjoying it too.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #216
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I avoided this game until last month and i'm already hooked.

I wish I had joined the party years ago but I'm here now and I'm enjoying it.

I prefer the physical card game but I have created an Arena account and I like it because it just helps me learn the game. The complexity is part of the appeal for me.

Questions:

1) is there a "best" forum for MTG (like this is the place for FOFC) ?
Probably MTGsalvation if any of them. It's where I like finding primers for EDH decks.

2) besides local shops, where is the best place to buy cards and supplies online or off?
TCGPlayer

Also, i've purchased the KMC perfect fit sleeves and Ultra Pro 66x91 for double sleeving - i like so far.

I need to doublesleeve myself - usually I just get the DragonShields but I accidentally nicked the corner of one of my birthday present cards, which upset me. So one of the friends who gave it to me told me how to doublesleeve with perfect fits.

Other basic suggestions: If you decide to get competitive, print out proxy cards and test them first. Figure out what playstyle you like - it may vary across formats. For example, in EDH, I like creature-heavy decks. In Modern, I play Blue Tron, which is a control deck (though big fatties are part of it too thanks to the Tron lands).

Be aware that Standard is a giant money pit. Long-term, Modern is a much cheaper format, even with a higher entry point unless you're building something super budget. Best blend of budget and competitive is Burn, which is why that archetype gets mocked, even though it's a thing in pretty much every format.

EDH is the most fun if you have a playgroup where the decks are all roughly equal power level. It's when someone brings a competitive Turn 4 combo win deck to a table of casuals, for example, that things get boring real quick.

Legacy is hella expensive to get into and has a much smaller playbase because of it.

Right now my goal is to simply learn the rules. I'm starting out with M20 and playing against my 19yo daughter who, luckily, is enjoying it too.[/quote]

Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #217
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Probably MTGsalvation if any of them. It's where I like finding primers for EDH decks.

TCGPlayer

I need to doublesleeve myself - usually I just get the DragonShields but I accidentally nicked the corner of one of my birthday present cards, which upset me. So one of the friends who gave it to me told me how to doublesleeve with perfect fits.

Other basic suggestions: If you decide to get competitive, print out proxy cards and test them first. Figure out what playstyle you like - it may vary across formats. For example, in EDH, I like creature-heavy decks. In Modern, I play Blue Tron, which is a control deck (though big fatties are part of it too thanks to the Tron lands).

Be aware that Standard is a giant money pit. Long-term, Modern is a much cheaper format, even with a higher entry point unless you're building something super budget. Best blend of budget and competitive is Burn, which is why that archetype gets mocked, even though it's a thing in pretty much every format.

EDH is the most fun if you have a playgroup where the decks are all roughly equal power level. It's when someone brings a competitive Turn 4 combo win deck to a table of casuals, for example, that things get boring real quick.

Legacy is hella expensive to get into and has a much smaller playbase because of it.

Right now my goal is to simply learn the rules. I'm starting out with M20 and playing against my 19yo daughter who, luckily, is enjoying it too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Izulde. I see the coming war with my bank account and I don't like it.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #218
Izulde
Head Coach

WotC can go burn.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #219
Warhammer
Pro Starter

What happened here?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #220
wustin
College Prospect

Prob the bannings. 2019 was a wild ride for almost every format you can think of.

Last edited by wustin : 01-14-2020 at 07:26 AM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #221
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

There have definitely been some issues, both with the cards/sets themselves and with the infrastructure surrounding them, including changes to organized play, various nefarious monetization attempts in Arena, and a ham-fisted attempt to back-track on a same-sex storyline between two major characters that was pretty clearly a result of WotC playing to the Chinese market.

I'm curious to hear from Izulde what specifically triggered his comment, though, as it came sort of randomly out of nowhere
Old 01-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #222
Izulde
Head Coach

Modern bans yesterday: Oko, Mox Opal, Mycosynth Lattice.

I figured Oko was going to get hit - he's banned in everything but Legacy, Vintage, and EDH now (which complete negates the value of the 3 Okos I pulled from random Eldraine stuff and wastes the money I spent picking up a 4th to have a playset for my Pioneer deck). But Lattice eliminated a wincon from my deck (Blue Tron) which was a fringe Day 2 deck at best to begin with. Now it's not Day 2 viable IMO.

Basically Wizards took a machine gun to the Modern meta and left Urza, which is the real card that needed to get banned, free to roam.

So I'm done with Modern. Pioneer I'm still in on - my Simic Stompy deck didn't really need Oko to have Day 2 potential. EDH will remain casual, because competitive EDH is cancerous.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #223
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ah, that makes sense, I hadn't seen news of those Modern bannings. I don't play or even follow Modern at all, outside of the little things I hear on podcasts like Good Luck, High Five (which I haven't listened to yet this week).
Old 01-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #224
wustin
College Prospect

Urza seems fine without Mox Opal. Don't think any new Urza deck being built is going to be better than any deck with Primeval Titan.

Cards I still want gone in Modern are Veil of Summer and Arcum's Astrolabe. 2019 was a mistake. If Titan decks become too good, wouldn't be surprised if they banned Titan, Summoner's Pact, or Field of the Dead (another 2019 card!).

Last edited by wustin : 01-15-2020 at 09:45 AM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #225
Thomkal
Head Coach

So the next version of playing Magic: The Gathering online starts Tuesday with the Open Beta of Magic Legends, an action RPG which reminds me a lot of Diablo or Torchlight with how it plays with the addition of Magic "decks" that you shuffle through an use during the course of a battle. And of course there's lotsa loot to get too.

I think there's a link in the description of this video to sign up for the beta. You will have to sign up/use the Arc loader to play. Or sign up on Epic for it I briefly played in the alpha. and I like it, but for me at least (which may be related to my medical status) it doesn't come across as intuitive on to how combat works.

The video is a livestream of some gameplay so you can get a feel for the game, it starts about 15 mins in.

Magic: Legends | What to Expect in Open Beta - YouTube

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-18-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote