Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #201
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't get UNC going for 2 in that situation.

I'm very, very thankful they did.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #202
General Mike
Pro Starter

Rutgers fires Ash and OC McNulty. TE coach Nunzio Campanile is interim HC.

Sources: Greg Schiano left Patriots to return to Rutgers - FootballScoop
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, who went 68-67 in 11 seasons and led the Scarlet Knights to six bowl appearances, could be a leading candidate to return. ... Other potential candidates include Texas A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko, Army coach Jeff Monken, former Tennessee coach Butch Jones and Michigan linebackers coach Anthony Campanile.

Soooo the current interim guy is perhaps a placeholder for his brother?

Aaaand there's a thought that you'd actually consider Butch Jones? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #204
miked
College Starter

Heck, RU would probably consider Al Golden. They were shutout in 16 of their last 29 B10 games.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #205
tarcone
Coordinator

Rutgers should throw a bunch of money at Mike Leach. At least they would score.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 PM   #206
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't get the timing of the Rutgers firing. You can say Ash has had enough time and it isn't working, but what did you learn from the Michigan game that you didn't already know? If you think the team isn't responding this year and that's why it wasn't done in the offseason, I'd have at least waited for games like Maryland, Minnesota, etc. to pull the trigger.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #207
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Why would he do that? He doesn’t strike me as motivated by
Money and Rutgers isn’t a better job than Wazzou.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #208
tarcone
Coordinator

Im sure he wouldnt. But when you get shut out 16 of your last 29 games, why not look for an offensive genius that produces exciting football games.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:28 AM   #209
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't get the timing of the Rutgers firing. You can say Ash has had enough time and it isn't working, but what did you learn from the Michigan game that you didn't already know? If you think the team isn't responding this year and that's why it wasn't done in the offseason, I'd have at least waited for games like Maryland, Minnesota, etc. to pull the trigger.

According to the quotes, they voted on it 2 weeks ago so I have no idea why they waited. Maybe it was a $ thing (they wanted to make sure they could secure the stupid $8M buyout).
Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #210
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

That guy should be shunned out of the profession for the way to throws his players under the bus.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That guy should be shunned out of the profession for the way to throws his players under the bus.

I think I only heard part of it but whatbindidnhear I have zero issue with.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #212
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't mind him saying that to his players, but keep that out of the media.

The next question should have been how can a coach let his team get like that if they are all the same players as last year?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
According to the quotes, they voted on it 2 weeks ago so I have no idea why they waited. Maybe it was a $ thing (they wanted to make sure they could secure the stupid $8M buyout).

The buyout is probably what it is. It was postulated that Ash was safe for another year at least because of it, so Rutgers likely had to scramble to secure that amount to get rid of him now.

Oh, also Nunzio Campanile is the most Jersey name imaginable.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-30-2019 at 10:10 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #214
Thomkal
Head Coach

Late reporting this but Coastal Carolina had a chance to be considered one of the top teams in the Sun Belt, but they have never beaten any of the top 3 in this conference. Sadly this trend continues on the road against a hot App State team fresh off an upset over North Carolina. They showed they just don't have the quality and depth of quality as App State scored 50+ against them while scoring 30+. They get a week off to recover then have a home game against Georgia State in 2 weeks.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #215
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't get UNC going for 2 in that situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
I get and love the call. Too bad the courage wasn't rewarded
I was debating it & I think I'm on Atocep's side. I like the David vs Goliath strategy if you think the other team is more likely to win in OT than to stop you on the 2-pt, but 1:21 on the clock & 2 Clemson timeouts gives them a lot of time to go for even a FG if you go up 1.

I also didn't get why Dabo didn't use a timeout right away after the previous play to save another 30 seconds, and man, they had a real good chance at that onside kick too.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #216
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I was debating it & I think I'm on Atocep's side. I like the David vs Goliath strategy if you think the other team is more likely to win in OT than to stop you on the 2-pt, but 1:21 on the clock & 2 Clemson timeouts gives them a lot of time to go for even a FG if you go up 1.

I also didn't get why Dabo didn't use a timeout right away after the previous play to save another 30 seconds, and man, they had a real good chance at that onside kick too.

The analytic types have been debating this recently. Coaches tend to play conservatively in tie games late. They don't want to lose on a fumble, tipped ball, or some other fluke so they'll take a shot or 2 to see if they can pick up some chunk yardage and then run the clock out if they're unable to.

By taking the lead with enough time to drive they're forced to play aggressively and IMO that strongly favors the team with more talent.

With 30 seconds or less I can understand going for 2. However, with enough time to drive, as you said, I think it's a bad play. I think Clemson had an advantage either way but playing for OT is the preferred call for me in that situation.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #217
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Why would he do that? He doesn’t strike me as motivated by
Money and Rutgers isn’t a better job than Wazzou.
He wouldn’t take a different job just for money, but if it was a place with higher upside than WSU he’d be gone faster than you can say “I like to insult my players in public”. I don’t think Rutgers is that job though...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
that strongly favors the team with more talent.

Which was the part scenario Brown cited afterwards for his decision to go for two, saying (paraphrasing a bit) that the longer a game goes the more it favors the more talented team.

He felt like his chances were better against a defense that was on its heels a bit, I can't really blame him for that thinking.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #219
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
The analytic types have been debating this recently. Coaches tend to play conservatively in tie games late. They don't want to lose on a fumble, tipped ball, or some other fluke so they'll take a shot or 2 to see if they can pick up some chunk yardage and then run the clock out if they're unable to.

By taking the lead with enough time to drive they're forced to play aggressively and IMO that strongly favors the team with more talent.

With 30 seconds or less I can understand going for 2. However, with enough time to drive, as you said, I think it's a bad play. I think Clemson had an advantage either way but playing for OT is the preferred call for me in that situation.

All Good Points, especially in a vacuum. But there are some important points of context that make me stick with my statement of being a good idea to go for two.

1. UNC just methodically drove down the field using 8+ minutes of clock. This had to instill some confidence in the offense to secure an additional 3 yards to go up by 2 points.

2. Given #1, UNC might be inclined to believe Clemson's defense was tired.

3. Also Given #1, how many more times do you think, If your UNCs coach, that you are going to be able to move the ball and score against Clemson's defense if the game did go into overtime? Seems like taking advantage of this ONE chance is a good bet against what you might have to do in overtime.

4. Its not like Clemson was moving the ball very well against UNC. Score 2 points and rely on your defense, which has done a hell uv a job all day, to continue to stop them.

5. UNC was 2-2 and just lost to Appalachian State the week prior (translation = does not have huge bowl aspirations). Taking a chance like this, against maybe the best team in the country, has HUGE upside for your season (and program) and very little downside. Everyone expected them to lose... They did but it wasn't because they played scared or conservative. I still love the call.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #220
tarcone
Coordinator

2 big games on today. #14 Iowa visits #19 Michigan. Iowa is a 5 point dog. We are more physical than they are. And Wiscy punished Michigan a couple weeks ago. I do not expect that at all. I expect a close game that ends with the score within a FG

GO HAWKS!

Then Auburn takes on Florida. I think Florida is overrated. SO I am guessing Auburn puts the hurt on them.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #221
tarcone
Coordinator

Another piss poor coached game by the Ferentz family.

Sick. And Sad.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #222
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Another piss poor coached game by the Ferentz family.

Sick. And Sad.

Yeah that Michigan team you said "sucks" has held them out of the end zone.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #223
PilotMan
Head Coach

NDSU goes on the road to play the #6 ranked team in the FCS, the #3 team in the MVC, in the Illinois State Redbirds.

Bison 37-3.

By far the most impressive game they've played this year. They just rolled on offense, and the defense was stout. They gave up a few big plays, including a 63 yd pass that gave Illinois St first and goal on the half yard line. Then stuffed them on 4 plays. It was a solid game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #224
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

They do suck. But they out coached. Us. Man they blitzed all day and we did not adjust one bit. We just let our statue of a QB get sacked.

Terrible coaching again. We will be 8-4 this season again.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #225
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

We were inside their 40 7 times and came away with 3 points. Im thankful we have a great defense.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #226
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Disgraceful performance from Miami. 5 turnovers and down 28-0 in 1st half to a Virginia Tech team who got throttled by Duke.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #227
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They do suck. But they out coached. Us. Man they blitzed all day and we did not adjust one bit. We just let our statue of a QB get sacked.

Terrible coaching again. We will be 8-4 this season again.

Does Iowa "suck" though?
Old 10-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very cool (for me) to see Shannon Brooks back on the field for Minnesota.

Arguably the best athlete from my HS alma mater in the past 40 years, to come back and be effective after a pair of ACL injuries ain't bad at all.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #229
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Does Iowa "suck" though?

Good question. I think our D line and DBs are very good. We have top ten pick at DE.

I think our O line is suspect right now. We do have a 1st round tackle playing and another that should be drafted. Our guards are not very good and we have a freshman at center.

Our WRs are pretty darn good. And RB Goodson is fantastic. But he loses touches to the guy (Sargeant) who is the great [ractice guy. But Sargeant did fumble and KF benches guys when they fumble, so I see Goodson starting against PsU.

For whatever reason our QBs peak their junior years and regress their senior years. And this season is no different. The scouts think Stanley is a pro prospect, but I dont see it.

Our DC is one of the best in the nation.

Our OC is overmatched. He got worked today.

Our HC is a good guy and stable. But he is not a good coach. But he can fund raise and kiss ass with the best of them.

Does Iowa suck? No, I think the Ferentz family is not good at coaching. I think another HC would take this unit and be a 10 or 11 win team. This staff gets them 8.

By the way, the contract for KF is structered so he gets a $500k bonus at 8 wins and his staff gets an 8% raise at the same win total. Every year.

That is a contract that screams mediocrity.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Meaningless game nationally, but man Nebraska got a gift. That missed PI on the ball they intercepted with a minute left was as bad as Saints/Rams.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #231
HerRealName
College Prospect

I think the correct answer is that just like most years, Kinnick Iowa is scary. Road Iowa, not so much.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #232
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is a contract that screams mediocrity.

That's a contract that screams "we're content with mediocrity"
Old 10-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #233
JPhillips
General Manager

What's the likelihood that Iowa would land a coach obviously better than Ferentz? Seems like it would be much more likely to end up like Purdue than to end up like Wisconsin.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #234
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
What's the likelihood that Iowa would land a coach obviously better than Ferentz? Seems like it would be much more likely to end up like Purdue than to end up like Wisconsin.

Right now the problem is the AD. And I wont go inot the stupid shit this guy has done and kept his job. But there is a lot of stuff that would have gotten others fired. But he is a damn good fund raiser.

Purdue has a damn good coach by the way. And I think he would do really well at Iowa. Shoot, I would take Iowa States coach. Iowa has the ability to do great things. Great stadium, great revenue stream, great fans and a weak press. A lot of coaches would love to come here.

I aspire to become Wisconsin, just like they aspired to be Iowa back in the 90s. Then they hired Barry Alvarez (A former Iowa coach) and he took that program to new heights.

He had Brett Bielema winning 10 and 11 games a season. And that dude crashed at Arkansas.

A good AD can do great things at a school like Iowa. But nepotism is king at Iowa. Our punter last season, who was one of the worst in the country, was the nephew of one of our biggest boosters.

If you know Iowa football, you know STs are important. Well, maybe money a little more.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #235
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I think the correct answer is that just like most years, Kinnick Iowa is scary. Road Iowa, not so much.

This is a fantastic take. Thank you for this. It opened my eyes.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #236
JPhillips
General Manager

Still hard for me to take FL seriously.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #237
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

I agree. Makes me think Auburn is overrated as well.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I said earlier today "they've nearly mastered the art of winning ugly".

I can't remember the last time I saw a Florida team that looked flat out good, even while winning.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #239
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This Tulsa/SMU game is pretty damn entertaining. SMU was losing 30-9 starting the 4th quarter and came back to tie. Each team scored in the first OT, and SMU fumbled in the 2nd OT while Tulsa missed a FG. Going into 3rd OT
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #240
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tulsa missed another FG, then SMU wins when an incomplete pass in the end zone is reviewed and correctly called a TD on their first play.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #241
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This Tulsa/SMU game is pretty damn entertaining. SMU was losing 30-9 starting the 4th quarter and came back to tie. Each team scored in the first OT, and SMU fumbled in the 2nd OT while Tulsa missed a FG. Going into 3rd OT

Fantastic game! SMU is a very nice squad this year.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #242
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I aspire to become Wisconsin, just like they aspired to be Iowa back in the 90s.

Some nice stuff in that paragraph but I had to pull this out. Are you frikkin serious? Wisconsin aspired to be Iowa

Iowa was 62-53 in the 90s.

Just be happy with what the Hawkeyes are. They are an upper mid level B1G team. Their location prevents them from getting a bunch of 5* recruits. Unless they can get Nick Sabin Id imagine every coach they get will have the same struggles as KF.

In 20 years under Fry they ended the season ranked in the top 10 twice(10th in 1985 and 10th in 1991) while under 20 years of KF they have been ranked inside the top 10 5 times(2001, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2015). I dont get your love of Fry and hatred of KF.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #243
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Some nice stuff in that paragraph but I had to pull this out. Are you frikkin serious? Wisconsin aspired to be Iowa

Iowa was 62-53 in the 90s.

Just be happy with what the Hawkeyes are. They are an upper mid level B1G team. Their location prevents them from getting a bunch of 5* recruits. Unless they can get Nick Sabin Id imagine every coach they get will have the same struggles as KF.

In 20 years under Fry they ended the season ranked in the top 10 twice(10th in 1985 and 10th in 1991) while under 20 years of KF they have been ranked inside the top 10 5 times(2001, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2015). I dont get your love of Fry and hatred of KF.

Before Fry, Iowa hadnt had a winning season in 20+ seasons.We were awful. Fry came in and changed the culture of, not only the football program, but the entire University.
Fry changed the logo to the Tigerhawk, which is one of the most well known national logos today. Fry took us to the Rose bowl in 81. Fry had us ranked number 1. And we beat the number 2 team in the nation that year, which was Michigan.

Fry Brought us back from the dead. Fry was a great personality. Fry changed the culture. Fry was one of the leaders that ended the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy of the B1G. Fry opened up Texas to Iowa.

Look at Frys coaching tree. It is one of the greatest ever. He brought an attitude of Lets play to win. Not lets play not to lose.

KF has not taken us any higher than Fry. He just recently passed Fry in wins. It took KF the same amount of time with more games a season. KF is boring. He recently changed the offense a little bit. But you could study film from 2000 and be prepared for the Iowa offense in 2017. I dont hate KF more than I feel his time is up. Fatigue more then anything.

What KF has done is great. But Im ready for change.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #244
tarcone
Coordinator

"Next Sunday morning we will be complaining about poor clock management, why aren't our best players ( Goodson) playing more. We will be asking why we cant adjust in game, (Blitzes cause PSU will be bringing it). Been doing this for many many years."

This a post over at Hawkeyenation after guy put up a thread that we will beat PSU and Wiscy, and Nebby will lose.

This is the KF brand right here.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #245
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Kelly Bryant seems to be ok. They need to be able to kick players out for low hits like the one on Bryant.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #246
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Tarcone was just a little off on the timeline. Wisconsin hired Barry Alvarez in 1990. Iowa of the mid to late 1980's was what Wisconsin aspired to be. The level of ineptitude in Madison was Rutgers'esque at the time. I don't take issue with the notion that Wisconsin aspired to be Iowa at one time because aspiring to be Michigan/Ohio State was simply unrealistic. Even today, Wisconsin will never be Ohio State. Neither will Iowa.

The problem for Iowa is they don't have large enough of a history of Polish immigrants to build a proper offensive line
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #247
tarcone
Coordinator

I miss Barry Alvarez and Bill Snyder. They were fantastic coaches under Fry. And have done some amazing things.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #248
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still not done being pissed off at Washington's pathetic performance at Stanford this weekend. I don't know why Petersen's teams lay a turd like this almost annually, but they do. I suppose a silver lining is that game almost certainly slowed down the hype train on Eason, and the chances of him returning went up a small percentage.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #249
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm still not done being pissed off at Washington's pathetic performance at Stanford this weekend. I don't know why Petersen's teams lay a turd like this almost annually, but they do. I suppose a silver lining is that game almost certainly slowed down the hype train on Eason, and the chances of him returning went up a small percentage.

yeah. I didn't even post because I don't know what to say. What a horrible game to watch. Flat out took them for granted. I was really juiced for the Oregon game. Wife and I going to Atlantic City, gonna do VIP seating at a sportsbook, and now the game means so much less.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #250
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah. I didn't even post because I don't know what to say. What a horrible game to watch. Flat out took them for granted. I was really juiced for the Oregon game. Wife and I going to Atlantic City, gonna do VIP seating at a sportsbook, and now the game means so much less.

Pisses me off even more that our team only rushed 3 or 4, dropped 7 or 8 and didn't make Eason uncomfortable.

I do know this. My wife was yelling at the TV and the announcers because Gilmore fixated on this being a trap game for Washington and that Petersen said it.

He was scared of this game, he knew his team wasn't ready. But isn't his job to ensure they are ready?

I am BYU blue at heart, but through Proxy of marriage, I have been slowly becoming a Husky fan.