Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Vintage Sports Board Games

I've been looking at picking up some vintage board games for Christmas that I played when I was a kid, and I came across this fella

Parker Brothers PRO DRAFT Game with 74 Super Clean 1974 Topps NFL Football Cards | eBay

My ancient memories tell me I played it when I was a kid as it looks very familiar, but I have no idea how it played. Anyone ever play it?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I never played it, though that orange game piece looks familiar to me for some reason.

Pro Draft | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

If you check the user reviews, there's a pretty good explanation of how it plays.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Damn, was hoping it was more a solitaire game. Surprised at what it's generally going for.

I'm having a lot of fun digging around though, I'm not familiar with many games outside the Strat/Avalon Hill universe, though I know tons exist.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Got this for Christmas in '75, fun little time killer.

I discovered that there is still a solid Statis Pro Baseball community that puts out new card sets with splits, so currently looking for the old base game at reasonable price. Easily my favorite Baseball game ever, glad to see it has been resurrected.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

About 2 years ago I sold my Statis Pro stuff. I had the base game and a couple of seasons from the mid 80's. Loved it, but nobody I knew had any interest at all in playing with me.

Thinking about picking a Cadaco All-Star game on ebay. I had it when I was a real little kid and remember enjoying the hell out of it. My best friend and I would play every day.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have a few vintage games. Statis Pro Football/Basketball are my favorite systems. Strat football is okay, but their basketball game is great! I wasn't a fan of APBA football.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I must be the only one buying current sports games (though I grew up with the vintage). Current faves are Inside Sports' Inside Pitch and Scoreboard Baseball.

insidesportsgames.org
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've always been a huge fan of Paydirt! and Superstar Baseball.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

I used to play Red Barber's Big League Baseball game with my Dad when I was growing up. Great game - not based on 'real players' - your first dice roll showed you where on the field the ball landed, then you took turns moving the defense and the runners.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I've always been a huge fan of Paydirt! and Superstar Baseball.

Forgot all about Paydirt, I loved those multi-colored charts for each team - we used them way before sideline coaches did, though I never covered my mouth with one when I was calling plays.

I liked Strat Football too, but only when playing a live opponent - didn't think the
solo game was all that good.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
Forgot all about Paydirt, I loved those multi-colored charts for each team - we used them way before sideline coaches did, though I never covered my mouth with one when I was calling plays.

I liked Strat Football too, but only when playing a live opponent - didn't think the
solo game was all that good.

My dad and I used to play constantly. I set up a full season one time and was keeping stats; made it through about five weeks before I stopped, but it was fun as hell.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
About 2 years ago I sold my Statis Pro stuff. I had the base game and a couple of seasons from the mid 80's. Loved it, but nobody I knew had any interest at all in playing with me.

Thinking about picking a Cadaco All-Star game on ebay. I had it when I was a real little kid and remember enjoying the hell out of it. My best friend and I would play every day.

I have 84' and can;t get myself to part with it. My brother and I used to play it all the time but it just sits on my shelf now. I just can't part with it though.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:46 PM   #13
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have 851 Baseball board game?

That is another one that I loved. I still have it tucked away somewhere but have the same issues as with the football game, no one to play against. It's times like this when I wish I also had a son.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

I still have Statis Pro Baseball with the 81 season. I have a few other seasons as well. I also have a greatest team edition. About 12 of the greatest teams. Thats a fun one.
I own Pay Dirt, though I liked Bowl Bound better. But Im a college football guy.
I own Superstar Baseball.
I own Statis Pro Basketball.

Also, Title Bout. The BEST boxing game out there. I have the original. They recently came out with a new version. But they limited the weight classes and you have to buy the other weight classes.

And a great golf game called Pro Golf put out by Sports Illustrated. Great golf game.

I grew up playing those sports games and have been re-acquiring them.

For the Statis Pro Basketball guys. There is a guy online that sells packs of different pro and college teams. If you want his contact PM me and I will get it to you. They run about $20 a package of 10 teams or so.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I must be the only one buying current sports games (though I grew up with the vintage). Current faves are Inside Sports' Inside Pitch and Scoreboard Baseball.

insidesportsgames.org

I'm a big fan of Plaay games (PLAAY.com Sports Simulation Board Games). I recommend History Maker Baseball, Hockey Blast, Second Season Football and Red White and Blue Racin' (I don't even watch NASCAR but it's such a great game engine). History Maker Golf is also supposed to be very good but I haven't picked it up yet.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 12-13-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Cool seeing some vintage gamers here. I have been working on a Baseball board game for several months, focusing on a rating mechanic and what I think will be a very unique interaction between batter and pitcher. I may ask a couple of you to test when I have a final prototype, which I am targeting for February, if anyone is interested.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #17
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Would love to help!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'm a big fan of Plaay games (PLAAY.com Sports Simulation Board Games). I recommend History Maker Baseball, Hockey Blast, Second Season Football and Red White and Blue Racin' (I don't even watch NASCAR but it's such a great game engine). History Maker Golf is also supposed to be very good but I haven't picked it up yet.

Yes, me too! I've had Second Season for a long time, as well as their Soccer Blast game. Great company.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #19
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Also, Title Bout. The BEST boxing game out there. I have the original. They recently came out with a new version. But they limited the weight classes and you have to buy the other weight classes.

Totally agree with you on Title Bout - loved that game. Used to run tournaments all the time.

Also want to give a big shout out for Negamco Pro Hockey. It was a really good game that came with cards for all of the players on the then-existing NHL franchises. Played several great seasons with the original 6 franchises.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh the hours and hours of title bout that I played. Still have it. Its in rough shape, but I know exactly where it's at.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I buy several current sports games as well. My favorites include:

Plaay's Second Season & Cold Snap
4th Street's Football
Inside Sport's Inside Blitz Game
Solitaire Football

All of these are current and really good.

And Phil Graham churns out excellent current Statis Pro Basketball sets.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
tarcone
Coordinator

Solitaire Football? More info please.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Oh the hours and hours of title bout that I played. Still have it. Its in rough shape, but I know exactly where it's at.

My buddy and I were both huge boxing fans and I worked at his families restaurant in my teens and early 20's. We would have a Title Bout night once a week. After the place closed at 11 we would play until 3-4 in the morning running tournaments. Good times!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
tarcone
Coordinator

I forgot about Speed Circuit. My oldest brother always won that one. What a great game. Much more strategic than many racing games.

There is an updated version available. I cant think of the name of it. But it was released in the last year.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #25
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Solitaire Football? More info please.

Here's my review of it. It's grown on me some since I originally wrote that. It is a pretty good system, especially if you want a quicker playing sim. You sacrifice control for the sake of speed though.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #26
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
I forgot about Speed Circuit. My oldest brother always won that one. What a great game. Much more strategic than many racing games.

There is an updated version available. I cant think of the name of it. But it was released in the last year.

Speed Circuit! I hadn't thought about that game in decades, such a cool game. Though I'm sure I spent way more time pushing the cars around making driving noises then actually playing it.

Thinking Man's Golf was also a great game of that vintage,
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow finally some good sports board game chatter here. I moved away from PC games with the occasional PS4 game 5 or so years back and now have a huge collection of sports board games.
Plaay.com is top notch and Keith the designer (local Colorado buddy too) is a great guy with some excellent design ideas. I just picked his CFL game Cold Snap with the 1991 , 2010 and 2016 seasons. I know very little about the CFL but after enjoying Soccer blast, Hockey blast, Second Season football, History maker Baseball Red, White and Blue Racing I figured I would give it a try. Check out the Delphi forums under Tabletop Sports Board Gaming.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #28
Galaril
Pro Starter

I also highly recommend Solitaire Football .
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
Capital
High School Varsity

A game called Face Off hockey was a fun game.Not supposed to be realistic but just an actual board game loosely based on hockey management.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I should note too that all of the Plaay games are designed to be played solitaire. Most can also be played head-to-head but they were designed with the solitaire gamer in mind.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #31
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Wow finally some good sports board game chatter here. I moved away from PC games with the occasional PS4 game 5 or so years back and now have a huge collection of sports board games.
Plaay.com is top notch and Keith the designer (local Colorado buddy too) is a great guy with some excellent design ideas. I just picked his CFL game Cold Snap with the 1991 , 2010 and 2016 seasons. I know very little about the CFL but after enjoying Soccer blast, Hockey blast, Second Season football, History maker Baseball Red, White and Blue Racing I figured I would give it a try. Check out the Delphi forums under Tabletop Sports Board Gaming.

I just picked up Cold Snap as well. Some of the CFL rules really intrigue me, and I got into watching the league this year. Anxious to try it out. I got the 2016 set, and there are a few free sets floating around online.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Not exactly (well not at all) vintage, actually a self plug

I released a Boxing game last month and it is being distributed through Sideline Strategy Sports (The designer of Payoff Pitch Baseball) if it is something anyone might be interested in.

Glory Days Boxing – Sideline Strategy Games

It is completely dice driven, but there is also a free PDF FAC download which can be used in conjunction with the dice to reduce the number of rolls. The release contains 100 Heavyweights from throughout history, with additional weight classes to be released over the next several months.

Here are a couple of videos of gameplay and tutorials.

Gameplay
Glory Days Boxing GDBA Career League - McVea vs Palzer - YouTube

With optional FAC cards
Glory Days Boxing career league - Jeannette vs Martin - YouTube

Tutorial on optional strategy cards
Glory Days Boxing - Optional strategy card tutorial - YouTube
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #33
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That's awesome! Congrats BYU.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote