Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #101
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
It's no Baba Yetu, but it's danged good.

This is going to be a fun weekend.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #102
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm hoping my laptop can hold up well enough to play this as I'm building a new PC at the moment. It meets the minimum requirements but hoping it's not too much of a drain. I have a GTX 965M.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #103
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'll have to wait and see myself. Apparently my Surface Pro 4's graphics card may be just above minimum recommendations, but I'll have to Google if that will actually work in that case.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I always time my new laptop purchases to Civ releases. Just got a pimped out laptop with 16 MB of RAM. Runs FM like a breeze and hoping it will run Civ just as well.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #105
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Unlock is at 12:00 AM EDT.

Mmmmmmm....

I have to be at work at 6am. If I can get some shuteye now I may be able to play for a few hours before I have to go.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:24 PM   #106
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I always time my new laptop purchases to Civ releases. Just got a pimped out laptop with 16 MB of RAM. Runs FM like a breeze and hoping it will run Civ just as well.

Yeah I was timing my PC build for this but got a little lazy. Civ 5 ran great on my laptop but did turn into a bit of a mess in the late game.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I keep hitting the pre-load button every 30 minutes or so hoping to stumble into a weak moment for Steam that allows me to play the game early.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #108
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Your best bet is to log into Steam via a proxy server in a region where the game has been released. However I think that's against Steam rules...
Old 10-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #109
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Entire Civ VI soundtrack......

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 PM   #110
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Damn you FOFC, I hadn't planned on even thinking about getting another game for a while and you go and pull me right back in!
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Unpacking!!!!!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #112
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Must...resist...urge...to...pull...all-nighter...

Unlocked and running!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #113
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Got nearly an hour under my belt. Will have to wait to play more later, otherwise I won't get anything done in the morning. Still trying to get the hang of the new ways of discovering technologies and societal stuff, as well as the new city sections for building things. That is going to be the biggest change to get used to.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-21-2016 at 12:02 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #114
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I like the idea of different in-game things boosting research. For example, killing a unit using a slinger (basic ranged unit) gives a boost to researching Archery.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:13 AM   #115
RainMaker
General Manager

What level are you all starting on? It's 5am here. This game kills me.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:55 AM   #116
King of New York
High School Varsity

Started unpacking at 7 AM, and noticed that my Steam account showed that I had already unlocked three achievements, including settling a city on another continent. It also showed that I'd already played for three hours.

My son must've gotten up at about 3 or 4 this morning, unpacked the game on his computer, and played for a while.

He's so busted right now.

Last edited by King of New York : 10-21-2016 at 06:59 AM.
King of New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #117
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Started unpacking at 7 AM, and noticed that my Steam account showed that I had already unlocked three achievements, including settling a city on another continent. It also showed that I'd already played for three hours.

My son must've gotten up at about 3 or 4 this morning, unpacked the game on his computer, and played for a while.

That's awesome. Raising him right!

I can't wait to get this game, hopefully no dealbreaking bugs!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #118
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Like father like son?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #119
frnk55
High School Varsity

I feel like Ned Beatty when I see barb horseman.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #120
chesapeake
College Starter

I took it out for a quick drive after midnight and was impressed that there is an actual learning curve with this version. I'm glad. As much as I liked Civ V and would agree that it was a great product, it was enough like its predecessors that its longevity with me was limited. I'm hopeful that the differences in VI are enough that I won't play through 50-75 hours and feel like I've done enough.

And what I've read about barbarians is true--they come to visit early and often. I was just messing around on Prince level and I ended up with 3 nearby camps that were happy to send frequent melee units and horsemen in my direction. I'm a lover, not a fighter in Civ, and they quickly overwhelmed the 3 units I had produced in the early game.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't make me buy this!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #122
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

My first game, I'm about 150 turns in, and barbarians just wiped out both cities Russia had. Oh, and Gandhi's declared war on me three times. Kongo hit me twice with wars, but founding a religion and converting them has transformed them into staunch allies. It's...definitely more dynamic than earlier Civ.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #123
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Someone posted a video of them playing Civ6 very smoothly (at least early game) on a Surface Pro 4 (i5 version). Sooo... I'm probably going to be getting this one very, very soon.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #124
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

With the increased ferocity of barbarians, it occurs to me...I just had a barbarian outpost spawn four spaces away from my capital (the turn after I had scouted there) and it was able to pump out a scout, a spearman and a horseman in less time than it took me to research animal husbandry and mining. How are they the barbarians if they start out with a 500 year head start in technology?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #125
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
How are they the barbarians if they start out with a 500 year head start in technology?

insert photo from Belgian Congo here
Old 10-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #126
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Like father like son?

Or maybe father setting son up for unexplained gaming time spotted by the wife
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #127
Butter
Coordinator

Are barbarians still customizable? Can you turn them off (or up)?
Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #128
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Are barbarians still customizable? Can you turn them off (or up)?
U can turn them off or on but that's it. Also you can't rename cities which is really dumb.
I just smoked on chieftain. I do suck but was fine with prince with 5. I just need to learn or understand religion better plus the city districts.
Btw if you guys are wondering it is better than No mans sky.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #129
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
the AI battle royal did not impress me. in fact it made me real concerned for the game

im taking back what i said, i need to drop down to prince to have a chance
Old 10-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #130
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

"Discovered new continent" seems to be solely contingent on visibility, so if you're on the coast and you see land that happens to be another continent, it triggers the bonus.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've already hit a few 'oh crap, I guess that's something I should keep an eye on' moments.

-I like the builder mechanics, but just realized they're a disposable unit (i.e. they are good for a certain number of uses and then disappear).
-I kept wondering about the 'housing' situation and then realized how that mechanic works with land/building management. Probably going to start over now that I know how that works.
-Still having some issues figuring out which parts of the tech tree I need to complete to do certain mechanics in the game, but that's just going to take trial and error at some level.
-Government is interesting, but similar to tech, going to be some trial and error there.

Overall, I really love the game. Definitely quite a bit different than previous games, especially with the barbarians.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #132
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
U can turn them off or on but that's it. Also you can't rename cities which is really dumb.
I just smoked on chieftain. I do suck but was fine with prince with 5. I just need to learn or understand religion better plus the city districts.
Btw if you guys are wondering it is better than No mans sky.

but, wasn't watching paint dry better than no mans sky.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #133
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess if you zoom in on the amphitheater you'll hear it playing music (themes from previous Civ games).

I'm liking most everything about the game so far except for the user interface. Felt like it was easier to see what was going on in Civ 5 with your cities, workers, and so on. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #134
Edward64
Head Coach

Bought and installing now but prob won't get to it for another week.

I also bought the new Stellaris DLC, supposedly it helps the middle game.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #135
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

"Gorgo, nasty woman, declared a surprise war on me. But I knew about it all the time. In the end she had blood coming out her eyes....blood coming out of her wherever. But nobody has more respect for women than me"

#TrumpCiv6
Old 10-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #136
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
"Gorgo, nasty woman, declared a surprise war on me. But I knew about it all the time. In the end she had blood coming out her eyes....blood coming out of her wherever. But nobody has more respect for women than me"

#TrumpCiv6

Too bad in the end you are destined to lose to a woman Trump
Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #137
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Someone posted a video of them playing Civ6 very smoothly (at least early game) on a Surface Pro 4 (i5 version). Sooo... I'm probably going to be getting this one very, very soon.

I saw a YouTube clip of someone running the game on an Intel HD Graphics 4400, which is what is in my SP2, and it looked reasonable. So I bit on it, and gave it a shot. I've only played 43 turns so far, but I've got a couple cities, met a couple other factions (there are 6 in the game), met a couple city states, and everything is playing nice and smooth. The graphics are all on their lowest settings, but that's fine by me. The real test will be the last half of the game when things get large, but I'm hopeful. So far at least it basically performs the same as Civ 5, maybe ever so slightly slower.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #138
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I think there's a benchmark setting in the menu that will load an endgame map with the AI playing, if you're curious about how bad it will bog down.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #139
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
With the increased ferocity of barbarians, it occurs to me...I just had a barbarian outpost spawn four spaces away from my capital (the turn after I had scouted there) and it was able to pump out a scout, a spearman and a horseman in less time than it took me to research animal husbandry and mining. How are they the barbarians if they start out with a 500 year head start in technology?

Similar experience here. Uh oh, barbarian spawner right nearby. Whoa, it spawned a horse unit. Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool... Even though no one else has horse units, that's cool. And another one!? AND a scout!? Damn.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If I would have.. say, purchased this last night and if I would have maybe, played thorough the tutorial to learn the new stuff... I might say this version has some really new exciting mechanics. You know, if I purchased it.

I might even kick myself for not preordering and getting the Aztecs early, if I was weak enough to get it.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #141
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

So I'm on the fence, I love Civ V but at launch it felt more like a shell that a great game would eventually be built on with the expansions to me. Does this one feel more complete from the start?
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #142
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm going to go insane if they don't add in remembering last played map settings in the first patch.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-22-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Decided to go through the tutorial today. Most of it was obviously stuff I knew, but the part about districts and linking units helped out a lot. Also, there was a few things that were in previous games but are in different locations in the interface. Helped to see where those were.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Decided to go through the tutorial today. Most of it was obviously stuff I knew, but the part about districts and linking units helped out a lot. Also, there was a few things that were in previous games but are in different locations in the interface. Helped to see where those were.

Yes sir... the tutorial is a must imho.

Really wish I could get the Aztec pack, I'd even pay $5 for my stupidity.

I know it unlocks in 90 days.. but after reading about their bonuses to military.. would have been my first play through. Guess I'll go with Teddy like I always do on my first play.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #145
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yes sir... the tutorial is a must imho.

Really wish I could get the Aztec pack, I'd even pay $5 for my stupidity.

I know it unlocks in 90 days.. but after reading about their bonuses to military.. would have been my first play through. Guess I'll go with Teddy like I always do on my first play.
The Aztecs are awesome. Muhahahahaa!!!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
The Aztecs are awesome. Muhahahahaa!!!

What's 90 days?
Old 10-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #147
Bobble
College Prospect

For me, the UI is a little lacking: How do I know what resource tiles have already been improved with my builder? How do I know whether a city-state is at war? How do I know what the religious people balance is in a particular city? How do I page through my cities?

How about some keyboard support? (N)ext unit, perhaps? Something to cycle through my cities, maybe?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #148
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Man, this game is SO good. I've lost previous three games on Prince thus far. I'm totally having to reinvent a lot of my previous tactics that I used in previous games. The barbarians really keep me honest, which I've found is a good thing thus far.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #149
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
For me, the UI is a little lacking: How do I know what resource tiles have already been improved with my builder? How do I know whether a city-state is at war? How do I know what the religious people balance is in a particular city? How do I page through my cities?

How about some keyboard support? (N)ext unit, perhaps? Something to cycle through my cities, maybe?
I agree. I'm really enjoying the game but needs a cleanup patch.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #150
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
For me, the UI is a little lacking: How do I know what resource tiles have already been improved with my builder

Yeah, this is probably my number one complaint with the game right now. Just an unnecessary lack of information.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote