Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #101
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Feels like highway robbery to come out of that with a win, but I'll take it with both hands.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #102
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good heaven. I'm not one to normally buy into conspiracy theories and I have no idea why the NHL would so like for this to happen, but holy.cow, are they trying to push the Sharks to the Cup.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-15-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #103
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, San Francisco and Boston TV markets or St. Louis and Charlotte markets. Which would you prefer?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #104
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Good heaven. I'm not one to normally buy into conspiracy theories and I have no idea why the NHL would so like for this to happen, but holy.cow, are they trying to push the Sharks to the Cup.
No, just terrible replay review rules. Bruins got screwed on a similar play earlier in the postseason where the puck hit the netting but it wasn't reviewable either. Once you're checking zone entries from minutes later and you have the central replay system I don't see why a hand pass or the puck going out of play wouldn't be reviewable.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yea seeing that now too. Seems like a stupid thing to not make reviewable.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #106
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

There's a slo-mo clip where the puck looks like it MIGHT have barely grazed his stick after he bats it with his hand. The puck doesn't seem to change direction, so I don't think it actually hit his stick, but there's at least a semblance of a chance.

Edit: and apparently there's a pretty good clip of it grazing Bouwmeester's leg, which would also negate the hand pass. Neither are conclusive, but either or both of them could have happened.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-15-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:16 AM   #107
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

We've (not so) secretly replaced NHL refs with Tim Donaghy clones.

Let's see if anyone notices.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #108
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
There's a slo-mo clip where the puck looks like it MIGHT have barely grazed his stick after he bats it with his hand. The puck doesn't seem to change direction, so I don't think it actually hit his stick, but there's at least a semblance of a chance.

Edit: and apparently there's a pretty good clip of it grazing Bouwmeester's leg, which would also negate the hand pass. Neither are conclusive, but either or both of them could have happened.
I'm not sure grazing a player's leg would negate an offensive zone hand pass. The rule just says it has to go directly to a teammate. If a player hand passes it directly to a teammate and it grazes a defensive player, it still went to the offensive player. There's a 100% chance that gets reversed if it is eligible for a review.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #109
Arles
Grey Dog Software

In terms of a policy change, the NHL should just be like the NFL on touchdowns. All goals get a 30-40 second review by an off-ice official who calls down if anything egregious was missed. By the time the teams are ready for the face-off, the official should have his result. If he can't see enough in those 30-40 seconds to change, then the on-ice call stands.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #110
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm not sure grazing a player's leg would negate an offensive zone hand pass. The rule just says it has to go directly to a teammate. If a player hand passes it directly to a teammate and it grazes a defensive player, it still went to the offensive player. There's a 100% chance that gets reversed if it is eligible for a review.

Yeah, I re-read the rulebook last night and I think it actually declares that the puck needs to be possessed by the other team before the hand-pass is negated. So even if it bounced right off him, unless Bouwmeester got possession it's still a hand pass.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #111
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
In terms of a policy change, the NHL should just be like the NFL on touchdowns. All goals get a 30-40 second review by an off-ice official who calls down if anything egregious was missed. By the time the teams are ready for the face-off, the official should have his result. If he can't see enough in those 30-40 seconds to change, then the on-ice call stands.

Yeah, I think this would be infinitely better than the "we can review a few things for 10+ minutes on a tiny iPad but there's a bunch of other things we can't review", it's such a no brainer I think it will definitely get implemented in the offseason.

I thought football had it right at the start with the time limit on reviews, but then the refs just started to ignore it in the name of "getting it right". Have a referee see a high def replay of the play for a minute tops, if they can't conclusively overturn the call on the ice in that time then the call stands. It should be pretty simple. Hell, show it on the Jumbotron like they do in Rugby.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a 100% chance that gets reversed if it is eligible for a review.

There is no doubt about it... and to think 4 officials didn't see it is beyond comprehension.

Now, it never should have made it to this point. The Blues are one of the worst teams closing out games when a team pulls their goalie. Petrangelo icing the puck over and over is not a smart tactic. The Blues deserve this loss for not hitting the empty net when they had the chance.

That being said.. I'm still furious over the non call.

Just give the cup to the Sharks already.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:01 PM   #113
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've never understood why we need the guys on the field to make the call for reviews anyway. Why not have dedicated officials somewhere centralized who make the call on reviews? If something needs to be reviewed, let rules officials with access to large monitors designed for visibility look at all the angles and make the call. On-the-field (or ice, as it were) refs call in, get the verdict, and we move on.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #114
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'd say that was a much worse call (or non-call in this case) then the Pavelski-Eakin one.

Having said that, I hate this push for replay. In a hand pass scenario, what becomes the cut-off point for negating the play? Is it the next stoppage in play? What if a hand-pass occurs that is missed and then play goes on back and forth for a few minutes without a whistle, with both teams enjoying some shots on goal and then a goal is scored? Does the goal get called back and three or four minutes get put back on the clock? What if the same team that made the hand pass later gets scored against? Can they challenge because the play should have been whistled dead earlier and their earlier hand pass essentially can be used to negate the goal they later gave up?

Do you say that it's a change in possession then? What if Team A makes a hand pass but Team B is able to get possession afterwards but not clear the zone? If that's the case, what if the team clears the zone but quickly turns it over and the team that made the original hand pass then scores? Or they only clear the zone by chipping it out and Team A gets it right back and goes in and scores?

Let's say the rule is a stoppage and Team A makes a hand pass that is missed and the stoppage comes as a result of Team B then icing the puck. Team A gets a face-off deep in Team B's zone and scores shortly afterwards. Can Team B go back and say that they never would have had to ice the puck (and had a face-off deep in their zone without the ability to change lines) if the hand pass had been called before they iced it?

It's this latter scenario that also really leads me to hate the offside call. I've seen goals happen where Team A takes the puck in on a play that looks offside. They don't immediately score but they get a face-off deep in Team B's zone shortly afterwards as a result of the missed offside, either from the goalie covering it up or Team B icing it. Then off the faceoff, prior to Team B ever clearing their zone, Team A scores. Why should that not be reviewable? Team B never actually cleared the zone.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Just give the cup to the Sharks already.

They're trying as fast as they can.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #116
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They're trying as fast as they can.

Sorry guys but the Bruins may have something to say about that.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'd say that was a much worse call (or non-call in this case) then the Pavelski-Eakin one.

Having said that, I hate this push for replay. In a hand pass scenario, what becomes the cut-off point for negating the play? Is it the next stoppage in play? What if a hand-pass occurs that is missed and then play goes on back and forth for a few minutes without a whistle, with both teams enjoying some shots on goal and then a goal is scored? Does the goal get called back and three or four minutes get put back on the clock? What if the same team that made the hand pass later gets scored against? Can they challenge because the play should have been whistled dead earlier and their earlier hand pass essentially can be used to negate the goal they later gave up?

Do you say that it's a change in possession then? What if Team A makes a hand pass but Team B is able to get possession afterwards but not clear the zone? If that's the case, what if the team clears the zone but quickly turns it over and the team that made the original hand pass then scores? Or they only clear the zone by chipping it out and Team A gets it right back and goes in and scores?

Let's say the rule is a stoppage and Team A makes a hand pass that is missed and the stoppage comes as a result of Team B then icing the puck. Team A gets a face-off deep in Team B's zone and scores shortly afterwards. Can Team B go back and say that they never would have had to ice the puck (and had a face-off deep in their zone without the ability to change lines) if the hand pass had been called before they iced it?

It's this latter scenario that also really leads me to hate the offside call. I've seen goals happen where Team A takes the puck in on a play that looks offside. They don't immediately score but they get a face-off deep in Team B's zone shortly afterwards as a result of the missed offside, either from the goalie covering it up or Team B icing it. Then off the faceoff, prior to Team B ever clearing their zone, Team A scores. Why should that not be reviewable? Team B never actually cleared the zone.

I would say once the opposing team gains possession of the puck, it no longer becomes an issue.

The problem with non call was the Blues never touched the puck and the Sharks scored from a hand pass, so to me it was a simple call to make, play dead when the Sharks player touched it after the hand pass.

Just like the offside review.. they only review it if it was in question and a goal is scored.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. what a dominating game today boys!

Let's wrap this up Tuesday!!!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #119
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Sorry guys but the Bruins may have something to say about that.

The Sharks may have something to say about it too. That was a terrible game of hockey. Credit to the Blues for shutting them down; Binnington is really good.

Karlsson has to be injured. I can't believe DeBoer keeps putting him out there.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #120
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Wow.. what a dominating game today boys!

Let's wrap this up Tuesday!!!
Yeah, getting robbed in game 3 may have given the Blues an "us against the world" outlook as they've played great D the past two games.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, getting robbed in game 3 may have given the Blues an "us against the world" outlook as they've played great D the past two games.

Berube has done one hell of a job and continues to adapt to what's in front of him.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #122
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not taking anything away from the Blues, but I do wonder if the opposite is also true for the Sharks - there was an article in the Athletic about how indignant they were at being called "lucky" for having 3 decisions go for them at such critical times of games, and I wonder if that has had an impact on them. More likely to be injuries and just regular old postseason attrition of course (I'm particularly interested to see if Sharks fans turn on Karlsson if they are eliminated next game and what effect that has on his upcoming UFA) but hockey always seems to be a sport where the psychology narratives are half true and what happens in the locker room does genuinely have an effect.

Also, one of the most fun things about hockey is random goalies becoming all world out of nowhere. Take a bow Jordan Binnington, a guy who was putting up relatively middling numbers in the AHL a couple of seasons ago. Very cool story, and I'd love to see the Blues win it all.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #123
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - as this is the catch all hockey thread, Great Britain came back from 3-0 down against France to win in OT and stay in the elite division for next year's world championships. Pretty impressive for a country that has a league with very few professional teams and only had their first GB trained player drafted last year in the seventh round.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #124
tarcone
Coordinator

Blues are a better team, and now that San Jose is banged up, I imagine game 6 is the last one. At least, I hope.

LETS GO BLUES!!!!

Last edited by tarcone : 05-21-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #125
tarcone
Coordinator

Blues up 2-0 in the 2nd.

And are dominating. Sharks missing those 3 guys that are injured.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #126
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Grats Blues - been a long time coming for you guys.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks.. it sure has!

Should be a good series against Boston. LGB!!!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #128
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, pumped for the win. Boston will be tough but it's exciting to finally have a chance at the cup!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #129
molson
General Manager

I can't say I remember the last Bruins/Blues Cup final, but I know this happened:

Should be fun. We'll be on an island off Mexico the first two games, but, I think there's a little sports bar owned by Canadians there, and my girlfriend has suddenly gotten into hockey, so that should be a cool venue to check it out.

Last edited by molson : 05-22-2019 at 12:05 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #130
tarcone
Coordinator

What a great story the Blues are this season. Worst record in the league in late December, call up a rookie goalie in January, Stanley Cup Finals in May.

LETS GO BLUES!!!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #131
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Binnington vs Rask
Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #132
tarcone
Coordinator

LETS GO BLUES!!!!!!

Last edited by tarcone : 05-27-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #133
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Great start but Boston stormed back after our 2-0 lead. Hopefully we can win Game 2 and come home tied, 1-1.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #134
tarcone
Coordinator

Boston is the fastest team we have faced these playoffs. That is worrisome.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #135
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We need to tighten up the stick play and reduce the penalties. If we give them 5 power plays, we will be in trouble. It was impressive that we held them to 1-5 on the power play given their speed.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #136
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We need to tighten up the stick play and reduce the penalties. If we give them 5 power plays, we will be in trouble. It was impressive that we held them to 1-5 on the power play given their speed.

Agreed.. we go into OT if we don't give them 5 PP opportunities. I expect us to come out more disciplined and play a much better 60 minutes.

Boston is damn good though.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Now that's the team I love, WOO HOO!!!

Gunny hits one off the post, then buries the next one!!! What a game!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #138
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Now that's the team I love, WOO HOO!!!

Gunny hits one off the post, then buries the next one!!! What a game!

What a resilient team. They are 6-2 in these playoffs after a loss.

So much fun to watch this team.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What a resilient team. They are 6-2 in these playoffs after a loss.

So much fun to watch this team.

They have been a fun team to watch!

Gloria!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #140
Galaril
Pro Starter

That was more like it Bruins. Play tough but smart.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #141
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
That was more like it Bruins. Play tough but smart.

I think the Bruins are a better team. The Blues have to play perfect to win. That didnt happen tonight.

We need our stars to step up. Its time.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I think the Bruins are a better team. The Blues have to play perfect to win. That didnt happen tonight.

We need our stars to step up. Its time.

I think both teams are even when it's 5 on 5. The problem is, we take way too many stupid penalties. Boston was 4-4 on the PP.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #143
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think both teams are even when it's 5 on 5. The problem is, we take way too many stupid penalties. Boston was 4-4 on the PP.

I agree at least with your second sentence. I am not sure truly they are even at 5 on 5.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #144
tarcone
Coordinator

Damn, this Blues team is unbelievable. They need to get game 5. If they do, Im extremely optimistic.

LETS GO BLUES

Old 06-04-2019, 02:30 AM   #145
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Big win by the Blues. Binnington is slowing down as hot rookie goalies often do, but if they can score enough goals to support him, they might be able to get two more. Blues had a ton of chances tonight, glad it paid off.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We have a habit of bouncing back, now we need to grind out a Game 5 W.

Like I've said before, if we can stay 5 on 5 I really like our chances.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #147
molson
General Manager

My girlfriend keeps calling the Blues "The Notes" (based on their logo), and now I can't stop doing that.

Bruins and Notes, all tied up at 2.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #148
Galaril
Pro Starter

I think Berube's whining to the league definItaly affected Redding but the Blues did what they had to do. Now it is reported Chara is out and we already had Grz out on D. I think the Blues roll now in 6.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #149
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I think Berube's whining to the league definItaly affected Redding but the Blues did what they had to do. Now it is reported Chara is out and we already had Grz out on D. I think the Blues roll now in 6.

Im not sure if it was whining or letting your frustrations out. The reffing has been pretty bad towards the Blues. And the team and coach hasnt said much about it until after the last game.

It may have been gamesmanship also. Berube knew the Blues had no chance short handed.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #150
molson
General Manager

It's crazy to me that Chara has a broken jaw and the word is still that he "could" miss the rest of the series. Can one play hockey with a freshly broken jaw?

Last edited by molson : 06-05-2019 at 10:40 AM.