Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I still say Beach Volleyball is the worst
No way, it's awesome to do.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #252
RainMaker
General Manager

I love beach volleyball. Find it more entertaining than regular volleyball.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #253
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Femke Bol...Femke Bol...Femke Bol...
Tomorrow's 4x400m final, showtime once more. It's probably too much to ask for, but it would be awesome if she could lift this team to a medal. She almost guided the 4x400 mixed team to a medal. I think we've got an excellent foursome there. Both our women's and men's team are candidates for the medals actually. (Yeah, I went there and used "we" and "our" for a change, despite that technically I can only use "we" for the Dutch volleyball and beach volleyball teams.)
Old 08-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #254
tarcone
Coordinator

Gable Stevenson is such a gifted athlete at his size. So fast and quick. Won the 125g gold in wrestling with a last second take down. Was down 8-7 with 6.5 seconds left.

Watching that dude in the NCAA championships was amazing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #255
JPhillips
General Manager

And 8-5 with around 20 seconds left. Really an amazing comeback.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:29 PM   #256
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Tomorrow's 4x400m final, showtime once more. It's probably too much to ask for, but it would be awesome if she could lift this team to a medal. She almost guided the 4x400 mixed team to a medal. I think we've got an excellent foursome there. Both our women's and men's team are candidates for the medals actually. (Yeah, I went there and used "we" and "our" for a change, despite that technically I can only use "we" for the Dutch volleyball and beach volleyball teams.)

they were built from parts removed from you in your sleep so it's fair!

(FEMKE BOL!)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:36 PM   #257
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

USA men win gold, 87-82.

Impressive considering the rough start they had.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #258
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Trampoline...Beach Volleyball...Wall Climbing....take your pick

I still say Beach Volleyball is the worst

Cornhole is supposedly being considered an Olympic sport.

I don't how to clearly define what is "worthy" to be in the Olympics or not. But do think some key criteria are (1) does it make you exert a lot of energy (2) is there an element of danger, and (3) asking the question "would the Greeks way back when have laughed at the idea".
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #259
Edward64
Head Coach

Caught the kayakers yesterday. Those guys are fit! Bulging muscles on the top half. Wife asked if they train on the other left/right side too ... have to believe that otherwise they would be lop-sided.

Saw bits of the equestrian. Yawn

Women's marathon was exciting because of the US who finished with a bronze.

BTW the SI site is horrible. Medal tracker is way off this morning. ESPN medal tracker site is off too. Total by country does not match Gold-Silver-Bronze-per-country.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #260
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Hassan is just ridiculous. Thinking about one of those races makes me want to take a nap, nvm all three.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #261
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
USA men win gold, 87-82.

Impressive considering the rough start they had.

Per Twitter

2017: NBA champion (Warriors)
2018: NBA champion (Warriors)
2020: NBA champion (Lakers)
2021: Olympic Gold Medal

Who knew JaVale Mcgee would be such a serial winner?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #262
Edward64
Head Coach

I get the coach should have been disqualified but being assigned a random horse is weird. There's too much chance in that, better to replace show jumping with something else ... like trampoline.

Quote:
The German modern pentathlon coach was disqualified and won’t be part of the men’s individual final at the Tokyo Olympics after she hit a horse with her fist earlier in the Games.

Coach Kim Raisner, according to Reuters, hit a horse with her fist during Friday’s show jumping in Tokyo and urged a German rider to “really hit” the horse when it didn’t want to jump.
:
Horses at the modern pentathlon are assigned at random, and riders get just 20 minutes to warm up with their horse ahead of competitions. German Annika Schleu held a 24-second lead entering the show jumping leg of the pentathlon, though Schleu’s horse, Saint Boy, was struggling during the warm up, per the report.

Schleu repeatedly grew frustrated as Saint Boy started refusing to jump and she cried out as time on the run expired, as her lead had completely vanished.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:21 AM   #263
Edward64
Head Coach

BTW, I appreciate the games being held.

Obviously not the great boost Japan was expecting and lack of spectators/tourism really sucks ... but still great to see the competition.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-07-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #264
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Caught the kayakers yesterday. Those guys are fit! Bulging muscles on the top half. Wife asked if they train on the other left/right side too ... have to believe that otherwise they would be lop-sided.

Yes yes, the Olympics are certainly a time to people watch-gymnasts, wrestlers, divers, etc. certainly keep me watching
Old 08-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #265
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Modern Pentathlon is such a weird/fun mix of events - Swimming, Fencing, Horse Jumping, and Shooting/Running.

The final combined Shooting/Running event is particularly fun to watch because, unlike the decathlon, they stagger the start based on the performance in the previous events. This way, the person who crosses the finish line 1st is the winner.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #266
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW the SI site is horrible. Medal tracker is way off this morning. ESPN medal tracker site is off too. Total by country does not match Gold-Silver-Bronze-per-country.
There's an up to date tracker on the Olympic Games' website (Olympic Medal Count | Tokyo 2020 Olympics (Jul 23-Aug 8, 2021)).

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 08-07-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #267
Edward64
Head Coach

Caught the women and men's karate gold medal match.

The women's was comical. More screaming (and pretending they got a hit on the opponent) than actual action.

The men's was more interesting. But the Saudi guy connected with a kick to the Iranian and the Iranian was carried out on the stretcher. But the Iranian won because the Saudi guy used too much "force" (my words, paraphrased). I was thinking WTF is this.

Good thing there is TKD.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #268
miami_fan
Coordinator

The U.S. men have as many gold medals on the track as they do in basketball.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #269
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm sorry I just can't watch fricking water polo...
Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #270
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Cornhole is supposedly being considered an Olympic sport.

I don't how to clearly define what is "worthy" to be in the Olympics or not. But do think some key criteria are (1) does it make you exert a lot of energy (2) is there an element of danger, and (3) asking the question "would the Greeks way back when have laughed at the idea".

I started questioning skateboarding' worthiness when a fall sent one of the skater's phone go skittering out of their pocket and across the concrete during a fall. I declared that t can't really be an Olympic event if you're carrying your phone. My daughter countered with golf, and I really didn't have a response.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-07-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:05 AM   #271
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like USA wins the medal race by both the most golds (albeit at least a tie with silver medals breaking it with China), and most medals in total
Old 08-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #272
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I started questioning skateboarding' worthiness when a fall sent one of the skater's phone go skittering out of their pocket and across the concrete during a fall. I declared that t can't really be an Olympic event if you're carrying your phone. My daughter countered with golf, and I really didn't have a response.

Didn't realize golf was an olympic sport. Agree with daughter. According to my draft qualifications, definitely doesn't fit first 2 and IMO the ancient greeks woulda have laughed.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:26 AM   #273
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm sorry I just can't watch fricking water polo...

Or synchronized swimming.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:35 AM   #274
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Synchronized swimming I understand to a degree, but there's nothing wrong with water polo.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #275
miami_fan
Coordinator

This Olympics were not really the Olympics because of the lack of crowds and families in the stands. I am sure many of us have read Pat Forde in the past. This is a really cool story of him watching his daughter win a silver medal and all that came with it.

Pat Forde on watching daughter Brooke win Tokyo Olympics silver medal in swimming - Sports Illustrated
Old 08-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #276
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Looks like USA wins the medal race by both the most golds (albeit at least a tie with silver medals breaking it with China), and most medals in total

The indoor volleyball gold at the last minute put USA ahead of China.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #277
miami_fan
Coordinator

I debated whether to put this in the Trans athlete thread but this does not seem to be a situation where the athlete is trans. For what I can tell, her birth sex is female.

Gender Test Demanded for Olympic Sprinter Because She 'Ran Too Fast'

Thee things that peaked my interest besides the regular debate.

1. What the hell is a sex affirming test?

2. Why was it okay for her to run in the women's 200 as opposed to 400, her preferred event?

3. Given the debate about the COVID vaccine and mandates, I learned that there is a rule that woman athletes have to take medications that suppress their natural testosterone output in order to run at the highest levels because "such discrimination is a necessary, reasonable and proportionate means of achieving the IAAF’s aim of preserving the integrity of female athletics,”
Old 08-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
1. What the hell is a sex affirming test?

2. Why was it okay for her to run in the women's 200 as opposed to 400, her preferred event?

1. I believe that involves testosterone testing (described as "invasive" in at least one article ... not sure if that's being used generically or if it is described something more than a simple blood draw.

2. Because those are the IAAF rules as of 2018. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it likely involves something about "explosiveness" or some other more precise term that is considered particularly relevant to performance at certain distances.

fwiw, here's the 2018 article about those rule changes (if they've changed them again since then I didn't pick up the article)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #279
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hmm. Interesting.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #280
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW, props to the author of that article.

Quote:
What exactly makes a woman?

That is a killer opening sentence.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:06 PM   #281
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

closing ceremony so pretty!
Old 08-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #282
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1. I believe that involves testosterone testing (described as "invasive" in at least one article ... not sure if that's being used generically or if it is described something more than a simple blood draw.

2. Because those are the IAAF rules as of 2018. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it likely involves something about "explosiveness" or some other more precise term that is considered particularly relevant to performance at certain distances.

fwiw, here's the 2018 article about those rule changes (if they've changed them again since then I didn't pick up the article)
IAAF no longer exists, for almost 2 years it's called World Athletics, fwiw. From the actual source:
https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...ale-classifica
https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...s-testosterone
Old 08-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
IAAF no longer exists, for almost 2 years it's called World Athletics, fwiw. From the actual source:
https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...ale-classifica
https://www.worldathletics.org/news/...s-testosterone

Cool, thanks.

I just rolled with the one that came up at the top of via several different Google phrasings. I probably just didn't hit the correct phrasing.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #284
miami_fan
Coordinator

I had all the jokes for Sha'Carri two years ago so it is really cool to see her get the gold at the worlds. First US sweep in the men's and women's 100m since 2017.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:23 AM   #285
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, I caught both men's and women's on a YT clip. It's pretty amazing both records have held up.

Quote:
The current men's world record is 9.58 seconds, set by Jamaica's Usain Bolt in 2009, while the women's world record is 10.49 seconds set by American Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #286
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty remarkable that FloJo still holds that record. Curious how many track and field records have held up for that long.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:08 AM   #287
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Maybe it's just me, but necromancing a 2021 Olympics thread made me curious which event had a medal away 2 years after the fact. I did not expect a conversation about the 2023 World Championships Athletics.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:18 PM   #288
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but necromancing a 2021 Olympics thread made me curious which event had a medal away 2 years after the fact. I did not expect a conversation about the 2023 World Championships Athletics.

Yeah we did not need a new thread for just 4 posts lol.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:39 AM   #289
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yeah we did not need a new thread for just 4 posts lol.
These World Athletics Championships have been dramatic enough to warrant a thread of its own though.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #290
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
These World Athletics Championships have been dramatic enough to warrant a thread of its own though.

Next time.

The men's 4x100 relay was wonderful from afar and the U.S. won but damn those handoffs were horrible.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:10 PM   #291
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Bumping this because a Kenyan in his 3rd ever marathon broke the world record by over 30 seconds. A sub 2 hour in a legit race seems like a distinct possibility in the next year or 2.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #292
JPhillips
General Manager

Under 5 minutes per mile for 26.2 miles.

Crazy.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:09 PM   #293
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mary Lou Retton has been in the ICU for about a week with a rare form of pneumonia. Oddly enough she doesn't have insurance and her family is crowdfunding for money for her.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #294
Edward64
Head Coach

Hope she gets the care she needs (and deserves).

I really have no idea what the story is re: health insurance but was curious and googled. Reddit has been talking about it and came up with below from 2022.

Mary Lou Retton’s luxury Houston home

If she truly is in need of assistance, the crowdfunding is a good thing. But I am sorry to say that I do have my suspicions about it and/or if there is a true need for donations.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-10-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:53 PM   #295
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Hope she gets the care she needs (and deserves).

I really have no idea what the story is re: health insurance but was curious and googled. Reddit has been talking about it and came up with below from 2022.

Mary Lou Retton’s luxury Houston home

If she truly is in need of assistance, the crowdfunding is a good thing. But I am sorry to say that I do have my suspicions about it and/or if there is a true need for donations.

Yeah that would be really horrible if it was a scam by her family.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:58 PM   #296
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is interesting that she has no insurance. A day in Intensive care with a respirator is super expensive. My dad was in for 30 days and the bill was in the hundreds of thousands and that was 1997. Luckily he had great insurance because back then there was such a thing. I think we paid a $50 copay because he came in through the emergency room.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:35 AM   #297
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm still going to give her the benefit of doubt, but I'm thinking she decided not to get health insurance even though it was affordable for whatever reason, lost the lottery, and begged for help.

But on the other hand, being America's sweetheart and winning the gold for the country should have some privileges.

Mary Lou Retton won't answer questions about donations, health care
Quote:
When asked in an exclusive interview with USA TODAY Sports why her mother wasn’t covered by medical insurance, Kelley, 26, said that Retton could not get affordable health care because of pre-existing conditions, which she said include “over 30 orthopedic surgeries, including four hip replacements. She’s in chronic pain every day.”

Said Kelley: “Due to her medical history and the amount of surgeries she has endured from gymnastics and just life, it’s unaffordable for her.”

When told that an insurance agent contacted by USA TODAY Sports found two plans charging $545 and $680 per month for which someone with her mother’s medical history would qualify,
Kelley said that Retton had once been covered by health insurance but “because she was not able to work and give speeches for two years due to the pandemic, she gave up her insurance.”

Retton was “about to get (health insurance) again but didn’t, and then she got sick,” Kelley said.

In a text message to USA TODAY Sports Saturday, Kelley would not comment on how much of the nearly half-million dollars has been accounted for, but said that “all remaining funds” would go to a charity of her mother’s choice. She offered no timetable or further information.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:41 AM   #298
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I question that quote. I can get crappy insurance at that rate with the ACA, but I doubt she would qualify for the tax breaks. The only way they are getting her that rate without tax breaks if it was some kind of "catastrophic" insurance that would only partial cover a major event and have tens of thousands of dollars in deductions before they pay the first dollar. That might be some type of coverage, but for almost anyone that is not worth it. You would probably be better off buying $500 worth of lottery tickets a month and using any winnings to pay your medical bills.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-09-2024 at 09:42 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:37 AM   #299
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Weird how conservatives only like socialism when they can profit.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote