Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Official 2021-2022 NBA Season Thread

BALL NIGHT!

I am done making preseason predictions. I am just happy to have the NBA back in my life.

I usually don't like it when a team tells a player to stay away and prevents him from playing. But in this situation, they should have just let Ben stay wherever he was at while they worked on a trade. You would have thought that Morey would have learned from the Harden situation last year.

Philadelphia 76ers suspend Ben Simmons for their season opener
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As a fan of a team with many future Brooklyn draft picks, it would be nice if the Kyrie situation caused them to implode

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I was on Simmons side until this last off-season. He's switched me to somebody who roots against him rather than for him.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Simmons has always struck me as a player that has enormous potential and is good enough but has no desire to be great. Philly just needs to trade him to a poorly run franchise and they can all be happy.

I keep hearing the Spurs are interested. I cant imagine Pop wanting anything to do with him. He seems destined for the wolves or the Kings.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-19-2021 at 03:00 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't look at it as picking sides. The Sixers with Simmons on the team is just both of them staying together for the sake of appearance. The Sixers organization made it perfectly clear that they did not want him at the end of the playoffs. Simmons made it perfectly clear that he did not want any part of the Sixers organization throughout the whole summer. The fans definitely don't want them to stay together. So why are they staying together?

Simmons is a great player. I don't think every great player in the league has to shoot three pointers so him not shooting them is not a huge deal for me. The other pieces of his game are great. Would it be nice if he shot threes? Yes. Will it limit the team he is on and his growth as a player if he doesn't? Absolutely but teams work around limitations all the time. If the Sixers don't want to work around these limitations and I don't think they should, Morey should send him away, get pieces that get fit what he wants to do now or in the future, and move the team forward.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

It seems like Philly's perception of what they should get for Simmons is too high. Really good player who has a huge flaw that will get exploited in every playoff series.

He's on the Sixers still because the Sixers are asking a King's Ransom for a guy who at best is the 3rd best player on a title team.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Also no one forced him to sign a $180 million contract with the Sixers. I get he's not happy, but acting like a child at practice is disrespectful to his teammates and the game.

If you want to sit out, then stay home. Don't show up and pull that shit at an NBA practice. Grow the fuck up.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

He tried to stay home but then they put a hold on his money

Let's be honest. If he still had respect for his teammates and vice versa, the Sixers are probably not in this situation today. I don't blame either side the lack of respect. At some point, his teammates were going to get tired of Simmons's not shooting BS. Ben can rightful look at most of the teammates and say you are not nearly as good as what you do best as I am at what I do best.

I know it may sound like I am defending Simmons but I am not. He is being unprofessional. He has been unprofessional all off season. He ignored his teammates' attempts to meet with him to clear the air. He ignored calls from the coaching staff and the front office. When they finally did meet before training camp, the only thing they could reportedly agree on was that he had a contract. Ben Simmons is an employee who is only showing up to work to get paid for the time he is at work and is acting as such. He has show them what he is both on and off the court. It is time for the organization to believe him and replace him with someone who may be less talented but wants to be a member of the Sixers.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

We are two nights into the season and the Heat have not played yet so my biggest overreaction is about someone else. Jayson Tatum, go to the basket young fella!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:27 AM   #10
miami_fan
Coordinator

One more and I stole this one from a podcast.

David Duke Jr. is on the Brooklyn Nets roster. He needs to be traded to the team in Washington ASAP.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m usually pretty pro-athlete in these situations, but I have a really hard time thinking Simmons isn’t deserving everything he gets. It’s not just the Sixers either right - didn’t he skip the Olympics saying he was working on his game and then just went on vacation instead or something?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

China doing petty China things again
Chinese media removes Boston Celtics games after center Enes Kanter's 'Free Tibet' statements

SI

Old 10-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #13
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the next chapter in the Simmons Saga is claiming mental issues, and then whatever litigation/arbitration procedures in the CBA to figure out whether or not the team pays him for not playing due to that. Ugh.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

Simmons has been an asshole throughout this, but if I were a Sixers fan I'd be really pissed that the team has let this drag on and deteriorate.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Looks like the next chapter in the Simmons Saga is claiming mental issues, and then whatever litigation/arbitration procedures in the CBA to figure out whether or not the team pays him for not playing due to that. Ugh.

It's been obvious that m'fer has some glaring mental issues ever since he passed up a wide open dunk in the playoffs last year.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

For the first time in the whole saga, I am conflicted with how I feel about Ben Simmons's actions.

I believe that Ben Simmons is having mental health issues. I hope he gets the help that he needs. I don't believe those mental issues have anything to do with him not wanting to play for the Sixers, especially with that coach and the star of the team in the building. I also don't think his mental health has anything to do with the things he has done to make sure that he is not playing for the Sixers especially with that coach and that star of the team. I fear that he is the guy that people point to when they want to make light of athletes and their mental health issues.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Will we have Donald Sterling 2: Electric Boogaloo, this time in Phoenix?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/22/phoe...le-report.html

edit: Proactive apology for er.. word choice there.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-22-2021 at 09:32 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:58 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do think Simmons is going through mental health issues. I think it was apparent in that series against Atlanta and being thrown under the bus by your coach probably didn't help matters.

I think it's really interesting how Simmons is being treated in the arena of public opinion vs, say, Simone Biles.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:56 PM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I definitely agree that are likely mental health issues there. I concur with the sentiments that I hope Simmons does whatever he needs to in order to resolve them. It might be the best thing long-term for him to just retire, and if so I hope he does that.

It's also plain that there's a pattern of behavior here aimed at getting paid without actually doing his job in order to force Philadelphia into trading him. The timing of this most recent action on his part is highly suspicious, to put it extremely charitably.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:58 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

[quote=ISiddiqui;3348471
I think it's really interesting how Simmons is being treated in the arena of public opinion vs, say, Simone Biles.[/QUOTE]

I can't say that I have seen anything that has not been supportive but I also have not searched for the criticism either.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #21
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I think it's really interesting how Simmons is being treated in the arena of public opinion vs, say, Simone Biles.

Simone was out cheering for her teammates and taking an active interest in her teams success while Simmons has done nothing but throw his team under the bus and show no interest in helping the team. I think maybe this is why public opinion isnt on his side right now.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well Biles was also totally supported by her team. Simmons was completely thrown under the bus by Rivers and Embiid (I was really shocked how there wasn't the regular supportive comments, but basically this guy cost us. When that happened, I was like there is no way he can play for that team again).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I'm enjoying the Lakers start even if it will be followed by the inevitable domination and run to the playoffs. I'll take it while it lasts.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:08 AM   #24
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Detroit has the last winless team in the NBA and the NFL. The worst part about it is I'm not even particularly surprised. The difference of course here is that the Pistons have a successful past to remember in recent decades at least.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, I'm enjoying the Lakers start even if it will be followed by the inevitable domination and run to the playoffs. I'll take it while it lasts.

Im not so sure about that. They are older(basketball speaking) with poor outside shooting and shaky defense. I think Lebron is past the age of which he can carry a team, Westbrook has proved he can't carry a team, and while Anthony Davis is the best overall player on the team right now he seems to miss 20-25 random games every single year.

Lebron and Westbrook just kind of do the same things except Lebron is in control and more efficient. I dont see Westbrook as a very good fit.

Full Disclosure
I felt this same way 11 years ago with Wade and Lebron and they did fine together so Ill probably be wrong here as well.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-28-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Lakers can have Russ or Melo on the team but they can't have both.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #27
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Detroit has the last winless team in the NBA and the NFL. The worst part about it is I'm not even particularly surprised. The difference of course here is that the Pistons have a successful past to remember in recent decades at least.

Hey now, Lions won that playoff game that one time.

Last edited by Danny : 10-28-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #28
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. A mere nearly almost three decades ago. Hung with one of the really outstanding championship teams for a half too in the NFC title game. The memories.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #29
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Has to be Detroit where the #1 pick is immediately injured before preseason. Gonna be awesome to win 19 games and draft in the top 3 again.

Last edited by bronconick : 10-28-2021 at 09:41 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #30
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Lakers can have Russ or Melo on the team but they can't have both.

If they had a chance to get Heild instead of Westbrook, I don't know why they didn't go that way. Westbrook is a force of nature going to the basket, but they needed more outside shooting.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #31
miami_fan
Coordinator

Giannis went 10 for 20 tonight, 3-11 from three and shot 2 free throws.

We really don't need Giannis to be that much of a three point threat.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #32
miami_fan
Coordinator

Can someone give me a non sinister reason for the Sixers to try to force Ben Simmons to see their mental health professionals as opposed to the mental health professionals he is seeing?
Old 11-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can someone give me a non sinister reason for the Sixers to try to force Ben Simmons to see their mental health professionals as opposed to the mental health professionals he is seeing?

Is there any possible reason to trust that he's seeing anyone at all otherwise?
Old 11-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #34
miami_fan
Coordinator

If it is an issue with attendance, I am sure they can find a sign in sheet or something to confirm that he has going to the office and staying for the entire session. If they are looking for details of what is going on inside the session or expecting the mental health professionals to provide a diagnosis, that is something else.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
If it is an issue with attendance, I am sure they can find a sign in sheet or something to confirm that he has going to the office and staying for the entire session. If they are looking for details of what is going on inside the session or expecting the mental health professionals to provide a diagnosis, that is something else.

That is all any boarded/licensed mental health provider would be able to give the team anyway, even if they are fully employed by the team (which I would guess the team has approved community providers). Most large organizations have Employee Assistance Programs or consultants to provide mental health care because it would be a huge conflict of interest for the therapist if they worked with Ben Simmons and the owner or coach or GM. I would guess they want to make sure that the treatment and provider are legitimately trained, licensed, and practicing evidence based treatments rather than Simmons relying on a friend telling him to smoke weed or that doing yoga or jogging or praying more is what he needs. Those things can work and have worked for people, but are not considered evidence based treatments.

Last edited by Swaggs : 11-06-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #36
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think his mental health expert is Joe Rogan.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am sure I read it earlier on in the season but I can't find confirmation at the moment. Did John Wall refuse to play for the Rockets? Did the Rockets tell John Wall to stay home? Was it mutual agreed upon while the Rockets looked for a trade?

I assuming that Wall has not refused to play since he has not been fined by the team. I am also assuming if it was mutually agreed upon, the Rockets should have come to the conclusion that NO ONE is trading for John Wall's contract as is. So the idea that the Rockets are paying John Wall $90 million over the next two years to sit home is 100 times more ridiculous than the Texans paying Deshaun Watson.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

JFC This Russell Westbrook thing in L.A. is so painful to watch.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There was some universe where if you really squinted, it kindof made sense for Houston (it never really did). You pair up a guy who can drive and kick with a crazy good 3-point shooter. I'm not sure where he fit in with James and Davis.

SI

Old 11-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #40
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I am sure I read it earlier on in the season but I can't find confirmation at the moment. Did John Wall refuse to play for the Rockets? Did the Rockets tell John Wall to stay home? Was it mutual agreed upon while the Rockets looked for a trade?

I assuming that Wall has not refused to play since he has not been fined by the team. I am also assuming if it was mutually agreed upon, the Rockets should have come to the conclusion that NO ONE is trading for John Wall's contract as is. So the idea that the Rockets are paying John Wall $90 million over the next two years to sit home is 100 times more ridiculous than the Texans paying Deshaun Watson.

My understanding is that they are just committing to being as terrible as possible for the higher draft pick. Wall would get them a few extra wins that they don't want.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #41
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The Rockets want to buy John Wall out. They don't want him. John Wall refuses to accept a buyout and would rather sit at home and collect his paycheck until they're either able to move him or his contact expires.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:20 PM   #42
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Rockets want to buy John Wall out. They don't want him. John Wall refuses to accept a buyout and would rather sit at home and collect his paycheck until they're either able to move him or his contact expires.

Is the buyout $91 million or whatever the rest of his contract is? Why exactly would he pay the Rockets money back to release him?

Please don't take this as a defense of John Wall the player. I think he is league minimum/ mid level exception guy for the rest of his career once this contract expires. I think he knows that which is why he would fight for every dime. The Rockets took on that contract less than a year ago. It was no secret how bad it was. They can do what the Wizards did and slap a 1st rounder on the deal to send him away,

Ultimately, it is not my money. If the Rockets owner wants to pay him to stay home, so be it. I do think it is incredibly unfair to paint Wall in a bad light for not taking a buyout. Unless we find out that he has not refused to play for the Rockets.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:26 AM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is the buyout $91 million or whatever the rest of his contract is? Why exactly would he pay the Rockets money back to release him?

Please don't take this as a defense of John Wall the player. I think he is league minimum/ mid level exception guy for the rest of his career once this contract expires. I think he knows that which is why he would fight for every dime. The Rockets took on that contract less than a year ago. It was no secret how bad it was. They can do what the Wizards did and slap a 1st rounder on the deal to send him away,

Ultimately, it is not my money. If the Rockets owner wants to pay him to stay home, so be it. I do think it is incredibly unfair to paint Wall in a bad light for not taking a buyout. Unless we find out that he has not refused to play for the Rockets.

from the local beat, via NBCsports

Quote:
Wall doesn’t want to give up his $47.4 million player option next season let alone his $44.3 million salary this season.

So, yeah, it'd be $91m to buy him out.

And yeah, players can and do pay some of the money back if they would rather play than sit (Kemba Walker reportedly $20m, Blake Griffin reportedly over $13m, are a couple recent examples ).
Old 11-20-2021, 01:51 AM   #44
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Is there any possible reason to trust that he's seeing anyone at all otherwise?

This. They have a right to know whether he is or isn't taking reasonable steps in the direction of health so he can fulfill his contractual obligations.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from the local beat, via NBCsports

So, yeah, it'd be $91m to buy him out.

And yeah, players can and do pay some of the money back if they would rather play than sit (Kemba Walker reportedly $20m, Blake Griffin reportedly over $13m, are a couple recent examples ).

I did not even realize that the second year was a player's option. That is an option in a similar way that it is an option for me to turn in a $47.4 million lottery ticket.

I just don't understand the point that the Rockets are trying to make. Not with that guy. When they made the trade for Wall, they were trading a bad contract for a bad contract with the incentive of also getting a 1st round pick. I always thought someone would trade for Russell Westbrook and nobody would trade for Wall given what I think of both players. That is how it has played out. The Wizards got rid of Westbrook eventually while the Rockets have Wall and that 1st rounder. .

I know everything is negotiable in situations like this and Wall may give back some money at some point. Maybe the Rockets just think more highly of Wall than I do. I would be advising him hang on as much of his money as possible because this is the last big deal. If they wanted to try to convince someone to take a buyout, they should have hung on to Westbrook and tried to convince him.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

Isaiah Stewart may be one of the few NBA players who actually wants to fight.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #47
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The next time he and LeBron is on the court together is going to be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #48
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Isaiah Stewart may be one of the few NBA players who actually wants to fight.

I don't think a majority of current NBA players actually want to fight. To be fair though, the amount of pearl clutching and moralizing that is spouted whenever players come anywhere close to fighting makes it very clear we the public have no interest in finding out no matter how many time we bring it up..
Old 12-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

It would be really nice if ESPN had some sort of alternate broadcast so I did not have to listen to Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy. Hell, ask the Mannings if they want to do NBA games too.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #50
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

How many lottery picks in a row will it take for the Pistons to get out of the basement? Only Orlando is even making a serious effort to keep up so far.