Exceeded my expectations 65 62.50%
Generally met my expectations 26 25.00%
Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #301
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I am getting my ass handed to me left and right. I've lost track of how many times I've died at the hands of Giants, mountain lion type things, ice trolls, skeletons, etc.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #302
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
This game su. . .

Sorry, I can't do it. I just can't say it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to raid that cavern over there. .

Thanks for trying.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #303
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah made it through the first dungeon (and I saw where you were talking about now Drake-it was right after where I stuck). Now to sell off stuff and find the mines you guys were talking about.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #304
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I just trashed a dragon, then not far past him an ice troll tore me up real good. So while some parts have been easy, I haven't felt the need to turn up the difficulty yet.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #305
Peregrine
Pro Starter

An assassin tried to kill me! When someone try to kill Raudbjorn, Raudbjorn not happy.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just watched a bizarre, almost buggish looking sequence that seems worth mentioning.

-- My son, occasionally prone to practicing his pickpocketing skills, got caught by an elderly NPC.

-- She objects vigorously (with her woodchopping axe in hand) ... and his follower killed the old lady deader than UT Vols football.

-- Guard runs up to make an arrest, realizes that my son's character is immune and let's them off with warning

-- "Dead" old lady respawns in the middle of the conversation with the guard stands up, walks around her "killer" & resumes the conversation as though nothing had happened.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #307
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
yeah made it through the first dungeon (and I saw where you were talking about now Drake-it was right after where I stuck). Now to sell off stuff and find the mines you guys were talking about.

Make sure you bring a pickaxe!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #308
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
An assassin tried to kill me! When someone try to kill Raudbjorn, Raudbjorn not happy.

I had a team of three try to kill me. You try to rob just one Jarl blind...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #310
SackAttack
Head Coach

Riding my horse through Skyrim, I got set upon by a group of bandits. I killed two of the four. The other two killed my horse and ran for it.

In the immortal words of Jules Winnfield, "Well, then. Allow me to retort!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #311
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
While waiting for midnight, I saw this. Looks like $27 online (ouch!). I wonder since it is digital if they will keep it "up-to-date"...

I always buy the guides to Bethesda games... and then put it on the shelf for about 6 months after I read the basics about character creation. The detail in this guide is incredible, and it is a fricken massive tome. If you absolutely need to be able to find everything before you call it quits with the game it is pretty much essential, but just play to start the game.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #312
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Has anyone figured out a way to have the game show you what diseases you have? I've gotten diseased and drank a few cure potions, but everyone keeps telling me I look sick.

Your not a vampire are you?

My poor poor sellsword has a dirty little secret these days... and it illicits similar comments.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #313
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Hey, anyone have a hint on alternative storage sites? Are there like banks and stuff? I know I can buy a house now (though I don't have the coin yet) and I imagine you can leave stuff there, but is there like a universal bank anywhere?

No, they do not have banks in Elder Scrolls.

They advise you not to leave junk in containers you do not own, however, if you are trying to thoroughly loot a dungeon and don't mind multiple fast travel trips, you can put the items into a chest (say near the entrance or a central hub of dungeon) and as long as you return within the next couple of days the dungeon will be in the state you left it.

I haven't experimented to figure out the respawn timer in this game, I'd guess it is a month of game time (I think that is what it is in Oblivion). When using this trick I have never had any problem as long as I get all the loot out within a few days of game time.

Unfortunately, you need a house for long term storage, as hard as it might seem a good strategy is to liquidate your carry weight into weightless items or gold (or low weight items) except for rare ingredients you can't use now but are too valuable for the future to sell (dragon components, daedra hearts, etc...). Get a follower, that should give you another good chunk of loot capacity. The sheer wealth of supplies available in this game is huge, at some point you need to economize until you get your first house.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #314
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have you guys had much success with mages at the beginning? I assume they get a lot better but at the beginning the lack of magicka and weakness of the novice spells aren't doing great for me - I have to use a melee weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. But at least raising zombies is cool.

Eh. never mind - realized I was still playing on expert difficulty from my other character!
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-13-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #315
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Have you guys had much success with mages at the beginning? I assume they get a lot better but at the beginning the lack of magicka and weakness of the novice spells aren't doing great for me - I have to use a melee weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. But at least raising zombies is cool.

Eh. never mind - realized I was still playing on expert difficulty from my other character!
I'm thinking of creating a mage today to see if the experience feels different than my warrior.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #316
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm thinking of creating a mage today to see if the experience feels different than my warrior.

back in the day with Oblivion, I played a mage and joined the mage guild with a lizardman mentor. Was cool. Then of course the there was a pathing problem and one of the other mages got stuck in the doorway and wouldn't let me pass. I accidently hit him and he started attacking me.

He chased me up the staairs and started throwing spells at me which hit the other mages who attacked him back.

I ran outside and the guards there attacked me. I ran inside and the guards got hit with the mage's spells so then turned and attacked them.

So by the end of it, the mage guild had suffered some attrition. But hey! It meant more room for promotion.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-13-2011 at 09:31 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #317
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
back in the day with Oblivion, I played a mage and joined the mage guild with a lizardman mentor. Was cool. Then of course the there was a pathing problem and one of the other mages got stuck in the doorway and wouldn't let me pass. I accidently hit him and he started attacking me.

He chased me up the staairs and started throwing spells at me which hit the other mages who attacked him back.

I ran outside and the guards there attacked me. I ran inside and the guards got hit with the mage's spells so then turned and attacked them.

So by the end of it, the mage guild had suffered some attrition. But hey! It meant more room for promotion.
That's a great story!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #318
frnk55
High School Varsity

Um do weapons wear out?
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #319
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I killed one sneaking about to find out he had a contract on me. Was yours in the wild? It would be cool if they were actually tracking you and not a set encounter.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #320
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post

They advise you not to leave junk in containers you do not own, however, if you are trying to thoroughly loot a dungeon and don't mind multiple fast travel trips, you can put the items into a chest (say near the entrance or a central hub of dungeon) and as long as you return within the next couple of days the dungeon will be in the state you left it.

I haven't experimented to figure out the respawn timer in this game, I'd guess it is a month of game time (I think that is what it is in Oblivion). When using this trick I have never had any problem as long as I get all the loot out within a few days of game time.

Unfortunately, you need a house for long term storage, as hard as it might seem a good strategy is to liquidate your carry weight into weightless items or gold (or low weight items) except for rare ingredients you can't use now but are too valuable for the future to sell (dragon components, daedra hearts, etc...). Get a follower, that should give you another good chunk of loot capacity. The sheer wealth of supplies available in this game is huge, at some point you need to economize until you get your first house.

Thanks. I have my house now, and can see it will be better. I had to sell my dragon parts before that (and have a feeling I might later regret it) because they were too heavy. My main beef right now is lack of coin on vendors to buy stuff. Gets annoying trying to sell off stuff and they go broke long before you are through, and looks like it takes several days for them to recoop.

I have my housecarl, but I really don't want partners. They just seem to get in my way. Lost my horse because it went crazy and charged into a bandit camp, and just daisy-chained bandits till it died. I don't even think I am going to buy another, since I like exploring on my feet while sneaking.

I have hit level 12, and can say fighting has become harder. Things hit harder, and more have spells that can frustrate me. Had to take two tries to kill a group of three with a spell caster.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #321
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post

None since Daggerfall, the last game where gold had weight. You couldn't store anything other than gold in a bank, but you could borrow enough money to buy a house right away in the game.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #322
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
I killed one sneaking about to find out he had a contract on me. Was yours in the wild? It would be cool if they were actually tracking you and not a set encounter.

Yes mine was in the wild, I was just riding down the road and a khajiit came up and starting lighting me up with spells and attacking.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 11-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #323
frnk55
High School Varsity

God I'm loving this game. The dungeons/caves are amazing. And the combat is fun when putting you're axe in a skeleton's head.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #324
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Um do weapons wear out?

Enchanted weapons will have their enchantment wear out (i believe they can be restored), but I don't think regular weapons wear out.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #325
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Enchanted weapons will have their enchantment wear out (i believe they can be restored), but I don't think regular weapons wear out.
Thx!
Just went into a cave and a swarm of bats flew by me. Cooool stuff.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #326
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

In mine there were three hired because I'd been stealing from Dragonsreach and it seemed like a set encounter right outside of Whiterun. Would be kind of fun to find out I'd been tracked up a mountain by a group of hired thugs, though I guess right outside the city I'd been stealing things in would be a good place to start looking.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #327
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I've been playing as a thief/mage hybrid style with an axe in one hand and a spell in the other, while sometimes using a bow so I can level it up in hunting. Combat has been pretty difficult, I can barely hurt a Spriggan before they kill me. I am playing on either the hardest or second hardest setting though.

I did manage to take down a mammoth with only about 150 arrows. Probably wasn't worth it with the lack of loot, but it did level up my archery ability a few times.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #328
GrantDawg

Quote:
Yes mine was in the wild, I was just riding down the road and a khajiit came up and starting lighting me up with spells and attacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
In mine there were three hired because I'd been stealing from Dragonsreach and it seemed like a set encounter right outside of Whiterun. Would be kind of fun to find out I'd been tracked up a mountain by a group of hired thugs, though I guess right outside the city I'd been stealing things in would be a good place to start looking.

Mine was in a field sneaking. He was all in black with a hood up, but human. I was sort of ticked, because he only had a note signed by Andrea to kill me and a dagger. I wanted his outfit!

So, it seems different people higher assassins for different reasons. Cool. I haven't been stealing from anyone, so I have no idea who or why someone is trying to kill me. I guess I'll have to find the "Dark Brotherhood" and find out.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having a house again is awfully nice. And I'm happy that I FINALLY found a smelter (I'd been frustrated by that, knew they had to be there somewhere).
Also happy that I I'm actually starting to see some improved potions that are finally worth a little bit when I sell them, was really missing that major source of revenue from my Oblivion character.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #330
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I love the dwarven heavy armor - my character Raudbjorn is a gold-plated killing machine!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #331
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Mine was in a field sneaking. He was all in black with a hood up, but human. I was sort of ticked, because he only had a note signed by Andrea to kill me and a dagger. I wanted his outfit!

So, it seems different people higher assassins for different reasons. Cool. I haven't been stealing from anyone, so I have no idea who or why someone is trying to kill me. I guess I'll have to find the "Dark Brotherhood" and find out.

Mine were a group of thugs dressed like bandits. The contract said they didn't have to kill me and just needed to teach me a lesson, but they didn't seem willing to settle for hakf measures. I found the woman who hired them but couldn't confront her about it.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #332
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I love the dwarven heavy armor - my character Raudbjorn is a gold-plated killing machine!

Speaking of character names, my jack-of-all-trades is name Da-ryl
Old 11-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #333
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Jon, one thing I've seen about smelters is sometimes you will find them outside mines - so if you're exploring a mine for some reason and find some ore, look around outside for a smelter.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #334
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon, one thing I've seen about smelters is sometimes you will find them outside mines - so if you're exploring a mine for some reason and find some ore, look around outside for a smelter.

Ooh, thanks for the tip. I've only seen/done one mine so far but that'll definitely be on my list of things to watch for now.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #335
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
You're so funny when you are talking about things that never existed.

Bask in the ultimate graphics experience!

at 8:45 is when he hits the maze that I reference...

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 11-13-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #336
Izulde
Head Coach

I had a group of assassins attack me in Dragonsreach itself. They were posing as men at arms or something. The note I read said the court mage hired them to kill me, but I haven't been able to trigger anything about it.

It was hilarious because the jarl, his housecarl, the steward, the guards, everybody jumped in on my side and tore those assassins up.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #337
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

You guys are making me want to buy this damn thing.

Back to Fallout to make sure I don't.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #338
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I need to find a black friday sale. heh.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #339
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Definitely feels different. Very squishy. Only played for a couple of hours. Just finished the Golden Claw. I'm not enjoying it as much as I am my Warrior. I think I'll let my Mage sleep for awhile.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #340
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Definitely feels different. Very squishy. Only played for a couple of hours. Just finished the Golden Claw. I'm not enjoying it as much as I am my Warrior. I think I'll let my Mage sleep for awhile.

I think the problem is that with a warrior, you already have mage like abilities with the Shouts, and they are better in fact because you don't need to equip them to a hand - with a mage, for me it just felt like a lot of switching hands around - the conjuration stuff was cool, though, so I am sure I will play my mage some more.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #341
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Grrr....you guys are really making me waver in my determination not to get this for a couple months...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #342
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Well, that was an interesting finishing move with a sword. I had been getting just the standard shove the sword in the gut and the guy drops over, however this time my character picked him up while on the sword and launched him over her head.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #343
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

PC or console?

Sounds like something that could end up with good mods on the PC but does it run to sluggish unless you have a $5K machine?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #344
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What PC setup are you running, EF?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #345
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Grrr....you guys are really making me waver in my determination not to get this for a couple months...

Do it. I gave in over the weekend.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #346
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
PC or console?

Sounds like something that could end up with good mods on the PC but does it run to sluggish unless you have a $5K machine?

I have pretty nice system, but not a $5k machine. I'm running ultra high with no problems (except one random ctd for no apparent reason). There are people running it on old laptops, so it can probably be run on just about any system. I would suggest getting a 360 controller, though. The interface isn't very mouse friendly right now (eventually there will probably be a mod that will make it more so).
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #347
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Here are the specs:

- 2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M Processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
- 2MB L2 Cache
- 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6490m
- Windows 7

Been a while since I really spec'd out software so not sure how the graphics card measures up.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #348
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have pretty nice system, but not a $5k machine. I'm running ultra high with no problems (except one random ctd for no apparent reason). There are people running it on old laptops, so it can probably be run on just about any system. I would suggest getting a 360 controller, though. The interface isn't very mouse friendly right now (eventually there will probably be a mod that will make it more so).

Thanks, and luckily I have a 360 controller for the PC already.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #349
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Here are the specs:

- 2nd generation Intel Core i5-2410M Processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz
- 2MB L2 Cache
- Windows 7

Been a while since I really spec'd out software so not sure how the graphics card measures up.

That's better than my setup and I'm doing fine on medium graphics.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #350
GrantDawg

Quote:
Here are the specs:

- 2MB L2 Cache
- Windows 7

Should be fine. Not the highest level of graphics or anything, but it should run it.