Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #101
PilotMan
Head Coach

That's great for San Diego. For far too long they've watched their best players leave.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #102
JPhillips
General Manager

lol

Tatis's contract ends before Bobby Bonilla's.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #103
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The Padres Top 50 Offensive WAR page on b-ref is probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Fernando Tatis Jr is #34 in offensive WAR in Padres history.

And the best players that failed to hold onto are Dave Winfield and Adrian Gonzalez. The best pitchers were Jake Peavy and Andy Ashby.

This franchise is not a murderers row of what ifs.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #104
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Just to add to their misery, even if they won 100 games ever year for the next 20 years, they'd still be below .500 as a franchise.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #105
cuervo72
Head Coach

Tim Tebow retires from professional baseball after five years in Mets' farm system - CBSSports.com
Old 02-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #106
PilotMan
Head Coach

I retired from professional baseball a few years ago and nobody came to write an article about me. I've moved on, had a second successful career. Where are my interviews and fame?

Like Steam?

Old 02-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #107
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I retired from professional baseball a few years ago and nobody came to write an article about me. I've moved on, had a second successful career. Where are my interviews and fame?

If you have any cool road stories I'll interview you
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #108
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rheal Cormier, longtime MLB pitcher and 2-time Olympian, dies at 53 from cancer
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #109
miami_fan
Coordinator

Lebron owns Boston

...Red Sox

Sources -- LeBron James becomes part owner of Boston Red Sox, joins Fenway Sports Group as partner
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #110
Butter
Coordinator

How "A Drive Into Deep Left Field by Castellanos" Became the Perfect Meme for These Strange Times - The Ringer
Old 03-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #111
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That was an excellent article.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #112
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals, Cactus League Champions! Can we fly a flag for that or something?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #113
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You know, I love baseball - always have. But the past decade, I've lost interest in the game. Some of that is just where I am/have been in my life - having a family, spending way more time on other things that matter more. I watch more sports now than I ever have, but I also take way less of a deep-dive into any sport these days.

Anyway, some of my waning interest in baseball is self-inflicted, but a lot of it is just that the game is not interesting to watch anymore. And this bears that out:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #114
PilotMan
Head Coach

Theo has also admitted that the style of the game he helped revolutionize also has had a detrimental impact on the game itself. I have watched much less baseball this spring than past years, but I'm still excited for a full season.

Like Steam?

Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

They are going to make these in game gambling segments less awkward as they go along aren't they?
Old 04-01-2021, 01:29 PM   #116
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Best day of the year, opening day in MLB. Here's a little trip down memory lane, courtesy of Terry Cashman, "Willie, Mickey and the Duke". My favorite line, "Well now it's the 80's, and Brett is the greatest, and Bobby Bonds can play for everyone..."

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #117
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

My wife and I are going to Chicago next week and will be going to a Cubs game on Wednesday.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #118
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Surfing around on SiriusXM while out for errands this afternoon and happened to catch the Miggy HR for the Tigers.

Notable for two reasons
1) you don't often hear about balls being lost (in the air) in the snow that was coming down

2) You also don't often hear guys sliding into second on a home run that cleared the fence

It was fairly amusing honestly.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #119
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well the first HR of the year for the Dodgers didn't go as planned. I've only ever read about that, never seen it in real life.

Like Steam?

Old 04-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #120
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Surfing around on SiriusXM while out for errands this afternoon and happened to catch the Miggy HR for the Tigers.

Notable for two reasons
1) you don't often hear about balls being lost (in the air) in the snow that was coming down

2) You also don't often hear guys sliding into second on a home run that cleared the fence

Saw it live. It was very amusing. Not too often a hitter hits a dinger, and slides into second because he couldn't tell where the ball was because of too much snow.

Like Steam?

Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #121
JPhillips
General Manager

And now this, that you don't see often.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #122
PilotMan
Head Coach

Technically it was caught, but as the fielder pulled it back over the fence, it fell out. Turner only saw the catch and ran back. Cody is yelling at him to go back and he doesn't see or hear him at all, because Cody is rounding the bases, and Turner is in the base path. It was pretty disappointing to a very good hit.

Like Steam?

Old 04-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #123
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Best day of the year, opening day in MLB. Here's a little trip down memory lane, courtesy of Terry Cashman, "Willie, Mickey and the Duke". My favorite line, "Well now it's the 80's, and Brett is the greatest, and Bobby Bonds can play for everyone..."

What game was this in? One of the FPS ones?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #124
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Didn't that kind of Dodgers HR happen in the playoffs within the last 2 decades? I'm thinking Mets or Cardinals? I'm thinking of a walk-off HR that ended up being a walk-off single? Or am I crazy?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #125
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

What is the story with Justin Turner? Why is he so firmly planted in the #3 spot in the best lineup in baseball? While the Dodgers have moved on from other nice players they just keep rolling with Turner year in and year out. Is he a part owner(Roger Dorn)?

Disclaimer- I think he is a nice player and solid third baseman. He just seems like an odd 3rd hitter for a flashy spending team like the Dodgers when they seem to be constantly searching for superstar players. Id probably be trying to convince Mookie to hit #3 between Seager and Bellinger while having Turner in a 5-7 slot depending on handedness of the pitcher.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-01-2021 at 07:22 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:36 PM   #126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm thinking of a walk-off HR that ended up being a walk-off single?

The Grand Single was different though. The batter got mobbed before he got to second base, so only one walk off run counted.

The Dodgers ended up losing this game, though but entirely due to that one mistake.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #127
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Notable for two reasons

It was funny at the time but if you looked at it, the ball hit the railing above the yellow line at the top of the fence. I think Miggy saw it all the way but couldn't be sure that it was a homerun, not a double off the wall. On TV -- and I think the announcers are watching through monitors -- you could easily lose the ball in the snow flurries but I don't think the players lost sight of the ball. Still, I called in Mrs. Bobble to check it out on replay.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:27 PM   #128
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It is remarkably nice to see Buster Posey back this year.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:08 AM   #129
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That game ended rather poorly.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #130
miami_fan
Coordinator

MLB moving All-Star Game from Atlanta over Georgia voting law
Old 04-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #131
BYU 14
Coordinator

Queue the I'm never watching Baseball again crowd. Pretty soon curling will be the only sport left for those that think standing for a just cause is treason against America.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #132
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Queue the I'm never watching Baseball again crowd. Pretty soon curling will be the only sport left for those that think standing for a just cause is treason against America.

Yes I agree. Mostly baby boomers and we will be better off once they age out and depart this earth.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #133
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yes I agree. Mostly baby boomers and we will be better off once they age out and depart this earth.

Except cool Boomers like me
Old 04-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #134
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals and Reds love each other.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:50 PM   #135
BYU 14
Coordinator

Such a fine line between being a hero and wearing the goat horns. Stassi makes any kind if catchable throw to 1st and Joe Maddon gets praised for doing right by his players and rewarding Ohtani for a great effort. Now he is going to get eviscerated in the media. Especially if Ohtani misses any time with an injury after that play at the plate.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #136
tarcone
Coordinator

Had my rptp league auction this past weekend. I dont think I have been this excited about a baseball seaso in a long time.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #137
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Except cool Boomers like me

Not enough of you:-)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #138
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't like fans hating other fans, but fans hating teams makes the game more interesting. I can be happy all summer with a good Reds/Cards rivalry.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #139
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

And now MLB suspends Castellanos for two games. Ridiculous.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #140
Atocep
Coordinator

Is it too early to say new year, same Mets?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #141
Galaril
Pro Starter

Looks like Denver Coors field is getting the all star game. I am going to have to see if I can get tickets for my 14 year old and me to go.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #142
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Haha!

It would seem extremely unlikely. That team is stacked.

Still a bit weak on defense and they do seem to find a way to turn very good relief pitchers into poor ones.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #143
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Denver Coors field is getting the all star game. I am going to have to see if I can get tickets for my 14 year old and me to go.

Only stadium allowing 100 percent capacity, right?
Old 04-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #144
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

Ditto. Love to take the family to that.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:07 PM   #145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

I’m pretty sure Arlington is also.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #146
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Well they were at 41% for opening day so maybe by July 75%
Old 04-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Pulling Degrom after 77 pitches was a travesty. I get it’s game one but he was breezing. Could have easily gone out for the seventh. Me and a buddy were watching the game and as soon as they pulled him I told my friend mets were losing.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #148
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The game we went to two years ago at Coors was fantastic. I'd imagine it would be a fantastic venue for an exhibition like the All-Star game.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #149
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Crappy to see Tatis go down like that today. The follow through on the swinging strike three was odd - it looked awkward and painful in live speed, but in the slow motion replay, I had a hard time figuring out where he hurt himself.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Screw the All Star Game at Coors, I want to see the Home Run Derby with non-humidor baseballs!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk